New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Political Intrigue IC

My friend,

Come quickly and with secrecy to the undercity tavern of three roses. Come alone, and trust no one save the barkeep who I have paid for his silence and discretion, and those who you find within the back room he will lead you to. Should those found within prove to be treacherous, the risk wagered against the possible gain will be worth it I swear upon my house. I shall meet you there, and you shall know your compatriots by their deeds.

L.M.
    You've arrived in the undercity of Vern, and can see the Three Roses tavern across the street from you. Is there anything you want to do before you venture in?
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Political Intrigue IC

Eywels staggers to the Three Roses, lightly holding a bottle of booze in his hand. He slumps into a heap across the way in a dark nook of another building. He tilts his head as if a sleep but listens to who ever might be coming to the tavern. If he hears anything he will cautiously open his eyes checking who might have followed him or might be concerned with this business.

Spoiler
    Show

Eywels is not hiding per say. Just blending in to the scenery. No one is going to pay attention to a sleeping vagrant. Is this a disguise or a bluff check?

Anyway, Does he know who L. M. is?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Selena Trimaine

"The risk wagered against the possible gain will be worth it I swear..." The words ran round and round in Selena's head as she made her way to the tavern. Whoever this L.M was he did enjoy stating the obvious. "Trust no one", well she never did, but it was more interesting that he candidly stated that those she might meet could be dangerous, something she hadn't expected a secret note to say.

As she approached the Three Roses she turned carefully sideways into an alleyway and muttered a few incantations to herself, weaving magic to prepare her for this clandestine meeting. First she wove shadows and mists to conceal her features and her clothes, so it seemed as though she were wreathed in a small and clinging darkness. Next she focussed on a spell to reveal any hidden observers. As an afterthought she prepared a little surprise should anyone try anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spells-Disguise self (lvl1- lasts for an hour)-making her seem shadowy and hard to make out.
    -See invisibility (duration 1 hour)
    -Hold Person 3rd level (with Retributive spell and metamagic school focus so it stays third level-can activate as an immediate action when hit by a melee attack)

Once these were done she stepped back out on to the street and strode toward the tavern, wondering who this mysterious L.M. was and who she might have been called to meet.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Eywels

Eywels watched as the shadowy figure approached the tavern. Ominous, he thought to himself. Who ever it was didn't want to be recognized, which meant they were expecting trouble or more likely looking for trouble.

Keeping in his slumped position he continued to watch.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

William directed his squire into a nearby alley to observe the area, and murmured a few soft parting instructions to him, before entering the tavern, taking note of, but silently ignoring those around him. A deep grey cloak was wrapped around his mithral armor, to decrease to apparentness of his identity. He briefly cleared both blades in their sheaths, before moving into the tavern and following the instructions from the letter.
    Last edited by Galt_Devil; 2012-03-15 at 06:05 PM.
    Alea iacta est.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The customers of the tavern turn to look at the man in mithral and grey, but a quick "Oi!" from the barkeep causes them to all snap attention back to their ales and ignore the goings on.

The shadowy figure slips in with considerably less fuss.

Spoiler
    Show
    For the pretending to be a sleeping drunk thing, the disguise changes how you look, the bluff covers actions.

Both William and Selena are approached by the barkeep, a tall man with broad shoulders and a thick neck. His whitening hair is kept tied back, and he sports a handlebar mustache.

"You wouldn't be friends of Lucius Mason would you?"
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drawing his cloak tighter about his lithe form, William casts his lilac gaze at the bartender, eyes sharp and piercing. He mutters, purposely making his voice as raspy as possible, though not succeeding well with his melodic tone.
    I know of 'im."
    Alea iacta est.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The second one was royalty, his stance and posture reeked of it. Eywels was sure of it when he reached under his cloak, obviously adjusting his weapons. This L.M. is attracting all kinds he thought.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Galt_Devil View Post
    Drawing his cloak tighter about his lithe form, William casts his lilac gaze at the bartender, eyes sharp and piercing. He mutters, purposely making his voice as raspy as possible, though not succeeding well with his melodic tone.
    I know of 'im."
    "Well then, come on through."

In the backroom, you are let in and see three people have already arrived. The first is a dark elf, who refuses to sit, instead standing in the corner, his hands on a long dagger and gilded sabre beneath his cloak. The second is a armoured human woman, platemail shined to an exacting standard and hair tied in a french braid, sipping a cup of tea (a difficult task with gauntlets that she makes seem effortless). The third is dwarf who seems to be eating some odd things. His beard and hair are hanging loosely, and he seems to have peeled several of the fruits in the basket on the table and is eating their skins, as well as knawing on a bone from his belt pouch.

The woman stands when you enter, placing her cup down first.

"Hello, I am Lady Victoria, but you may refer to me as Victoria here, as we appear to be in an 'off the books' situation. May I have the priviledge of knowing your name and title?"

She dips one knee a few inches and then rises again, and locks eyes with you. Beneath her stare you see a calculating mind, gauging every movement you make.

The dark elf remains silent, while the dwarf proceeds to sniff and pick at a sore on his arm, producing a small amount of brownish paste and rubbing it into the open sore.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Selena Trimaine

Well whoever this Lucius Mason was, none of these seemed likely candidates, but she would wait and see.

"You may call me Assana." She said, trying to let some of natural relaxedness seep through her disguise and set them at ease. She took a seat opposite Lady Victoria and asked: "You seem to know a little, what is the purpose of our meeting today?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Eywels felt he seen enough. He got up, straightened himself up and headed to the Three Roses.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Darren Darkcloak strides towards the Three Roses, a hood concealing his face. He'd spent the last few minutes watching patrons enter the bar from a block away, but soon noticed he was not the only one doing so. Perhaps he should find that more alarming, and any other day he would probably play it safe and leave. But the shadows of the undercity are oddly comforting, as is the dagger he has concealed under his cloak. Besides, Darren has always had a weakness for mystery.

Darren enters the bar, and casts a quick gaze around to find the bartender and assess any potential threats.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

For a long moment, William remained silent, perhaps working out a way to avoid giving up his identity. His sharp eyes gleaming with power thirst, he shifted his hood back, letting his silver-gold ponytail fall across his shoulder. He spoke in a soft, melodious voice.
    I am Ser William Sylvannis-Penning, owner of Penning plantation, and a Thane of house Sylvannis. I would ask that you tell me a bit of yourself now, M'Lady Victoria.
    He shifted, leaning himself back against a wall as his cloak parted, revealing his shining armor, and the blade-hilts that his palms rubbed idly.
    Last edited by Galt_Devil; 2012-03-16 at 06:06 PM.
    Alea iacta est.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Edrick had almost not gone. Cryptic messages and curious instructions set him on edge. He thought on what he should do silently for nearly an hour. He had no talent for disguises and his hair made him stand out, so if he entered he would be known for anyone who cared. It could be a trap, yet it seemed far too much effort for an upstart like him.

Finally he decided that he needed to take the risk. Quickly he dressed himself in the poor merchant clothes of his youth, hoping that he would look like the poor Luag immigrant he was supposed to be. On the way over he did buy a knife. It wasn't much of a weapon, in all honesty but if he needed to he could fight in it.

Finally deeming himself ready he entered the tavern and bought himself a drink, waiting for LM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

A haggard old woman, hunched under a ragged charcoal cloak, hisses and kicks at a stray cat alonge the cobbled street. Her furious eyebrows and widow's peak jut angrily from her weathered hood. She sniffs angrily and shambles through the from door of the Three Roses.

Once inside, she lurches toward the bar, casting a rheumy eye around the room as she does so. She stops forcefully and drops a few decayed coins and growls for an ale, slobber and a thick tongue making her difficult to understand.

She glares at the poor merchant next to her and hacks wetly.

Megaelin's Alter self spell and cast-away cloak easily changed her into a vastly different person, and though accostomed to hiding in plain sight like this, she'd based the appearance on a fishwife she'd seen only that morning. Thinking about her wart and bulging eyes was fairly grotesque, but the spittle and toothlessness sounded so silly she almost laughed at herself a few times.

She turned a bloated eye toward the man next to her and hacked, and at his disgusted look she actually did laugh, though this only caused more drool to bubble onto the bartop.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shugyosha View Post
    Eywels felt he seen enough. He got up, straightened himself up and headed to the Three Roses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
    Darren Darkcloak strides towards the Three Roses, a hood concealing his face. He'd spent the last few minutes watching patrons enter the bar from a block away, but soon noticed he was not the only one doing so. Perhaps he should find that more alarming, and any other day he would probably play it safe and leave. But the shadows of the undercity are oddly comforting, as is the dagger he has concealed under his cloak. Besides, Darren has always had a weakness for mystery.

Darren enters the bar, and casts a quick gaze around to find the bartender and assess any potential threats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon_Heap View Post
    A haggard old woman, hunched under a ragged charcoal cloak, hisses and kicks at a stray cat alonge the cobbled street. Her furious eyebrows and widow's peak jut angrily from her weathered hood. She sniffs angrily and shambles through the from door of the Three Roses.

Once inside, she lurches toward the bar, casting a rheumy eye around the room as she does so. She stops forcefully and drops a few decayed coins and growls for an ale, slobber and a thick tongue making her difficult to understand.

She glares at the poor merchant next to her and hacks wetly.

Megaelin's Alter self spell and cast-away cloak easily changed her into a vastly different person, and though accostomed to hiding in plain sight like this, she'd based the appearance on a fishwife she'd seen only that morning. Thinking about her wart and bulging eyes was fairly grotesque, but the spittle and toothlessness sounded so silly she almost laughed at herself a few times.

She turned a bloated eye toward the man next to her and hacked, and at his disgusted look she actually did laugh, though this only caused more drool to bubble onto the bartop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Sir Edrick had almost not gone. Cryptic messages and curious instructions set him on edge. He thought on what he should do silently for nearly an hour. He had no talent for disguises and his hair made him stand out, so if he entered he would be known for anyone who cared. It could be a trap, yet it seemed far too much effort for an upstart like him.

Finally he decided that he needed to take the risk. Quickly he dressed himself in the poor merchant clothes of his youth, hoping that he would look like the poor Luag immigrant he was supposed to be. On the way over he did buy a knife. It wasn't much of a weapon, in all honesty but if he needed to he could fight in it.

Finally deeming himself ready he entered the tavern and bought himself a drink, waiting for LM.
    The bartenter eyes the four people at his bar.

"L. Mason?" he queries, and assumedly receives nods.

He brings you to the back room.

For a long moment, William remained silent, perhaps working out a way to avoid giving up his identity. His sharp eyes gleaming with power thirst, he shifted his hood back, letting his silver-gold ponytail fall across his shoulder. He spoke in a soft, melodious voice.
    I am Ser William Sylvannis-Penning, owner of Penning plantation, and a Thane of house Sylvannis. I would ask that you tell me a bit of yourself now, M'Lady Victoria.
    He shifted, leaning himself back against a wall as his cloak parted, revealing his shining armor, and the blade-hilts that his palms rubbed idly.
    "Lady Victoria Arcturus, of the house of Arcturus, naturally. I am here at the behest of one Lucius Mason, to whom I was once betrothed to be married, in the way small children are when playing in the meadows. Your house is known to me, and I commend you on an excellent choice of ward and master."

As you two speak, the dark elf remains silent, while the dwarf is breaking open the bone and sucking out the marrow loudly. Victoria ignores it with some effort.

The other four are led in, and behind them in short time, a few minutes after each other, three more come. These newcomers are two women and a male halfling. The halfling is dressed in the manner of a mortal alchemist, with a heavy apron and thick leather breeches, googles resting on his forehead. The smell of ozone and sulfur, two magical after effects, marks him as a student of some more explosive kind of magic. He sits at a chair, grinning from ear to ear, and laughing to himself when looking at the purple-green triangular mark on his hand. One of the women is heavily tattooed, with her body (as far as you can tell) covered in markings, and her armour black and spiked, head shorn of hair, piercings run through her lips and eyebrows. The other woman is, compared to the exotic assortment before you, quite tame looking. Her hair is reddish-brown, and she carries a few books with her. She sports slightly pointed ears, but none of the other telltale features of elven blood save her golden eyes (grey elf). She immediately takes a seat as well, and begins writing in a journal as she looks each of you up and down.

Continued in the next post . . . unless anyone wants to ask any of these people questions?

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

William will simply offer each a polite nod, and perhaps a small smile for the new Elvish woman as he sweeps his hair back so that it falls behind his shoulder, relaxing against the wall.
    Alea iacta est.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Darren is silent and nonresponsive, but his mind is racing. He hadn't expected this many people to be in the meeting, and feels uncomfortable at the large number of variables to keep track of.

To calm himself, he stares at each of the participants in turn, and briefly imagines how he would kill them if he had to- a morbid habit, perhaps, but one that has saved his life on more than one occasion.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Eywels flashes his devil-may-care smile, "Ladies."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Edrick silently finds a corner to sit in the back room, with his back protected against the wall. L Mason, now he had a name. Excellent, as soon as this was over he would scour the city for information on this shadowy figure. Whatever information he found today, he would need to have verified.

It was only when the three entered behind him that he really began to pay attention to those around him. Apparently come with secrecy meant to wear their most expensive armor, and display obvious signs of magic to some of his compatriots. This did not make him feel at ease in their company. When the probably half-elven woman came to observe him, Edrick gave her a cold stare. "Well?" he finally said. "See anything useful?" he asked the woman.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shugyosha View Post
    Eywels flashes his devil-may-care smile, "Ladies."
    The redhead raises an eyebrow and makes a note in her journal, then smiles at you.

"Don't talk to me."

She makes another note in her journal.

The tattooed one walks over and looks you up and down.

"I like you. You think you've got a chance. I like it. We'll talk later."

Victoria looks at you.

"Actually, I believe I'm the only gentry among the women here thus far."

Edrick silently finds a corner to sit in the back room, with his back protected against the wall. L Mason, now he had a name. Excellent, as soon as this was over he would scour the city for information on this shadowy figure. Whatever information he found today, he would need to have verified.

It was only when the three entered behind him that he really began to pay attention to those around him. Apparently come with secrecy meant to wear their most expensive armor, and display obvious signs of magic to some of his compatriots. This did not make him feel at ease in their company. When the probably half-elven woman came to observe him, Edrick gave her a cold stare. "Well?" he finally said. "See anything useful?" he asked the woman.
    "Not much."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

"So then," says the crone, dabbing drool with her ratty cloak, "what's this about?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    The redhead raises an eyebrow and makes a note in her journal, then smiles at you.

"Don't talk to me."

She makes another note in her journal.
    Eywels knew when a no meant something else; he winked at her.

The tattooed one walks over and looks you up and down.

"I like you. You think you've got a chance. I like it. We'll talk later."
    "Looking forward to it," he said with the same bravado.

Victoria looks at you.

"Actually, I believe I'm the only gentry among the women here thus far."
    "Victoria, every woman is a Lady as every man is a scoundrel, or did they not teach you that in gentry school. Too busy learning to put on armor?" says Eywels in a clearly mocking but playful (and possibly flirty) tone.
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2012-03-17 at 11:02 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon_Heap View Post
    "So then," says the crone, dabbing drool with her ratty cloak, "what's this about?"
    Lucius, a tall and reedy man with curly locks of golden hair strides in and shuts the door.

"I have gathered you twelve here to discern how best to deal with a growing threat in the court. Should any of you feel incapable of dealing with this, leave now."

He drops a bag on the table

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Selena Trimaine

Selena recognised Eywels entering, a roguish man she'd always thought, but he had a charm that appealed to her, though she wasn't going to let that come through her shadowy facade. The other arrivals were a strange assortment, especially when they all seemed interested in displaying their most obvious talents.

The one with murder in his eyes sent a chill down her spine. She'd known men like him and thought him probably the most dangerous in the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana check to ascertain what the halfling has done with the green and purple mark - (1d20+5)[9]

Then Lucius entered and her attention shifted straight to him. Why had this man chosen her, and what exactly was his plan?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lady fortune favors the bold, and silver always goes to the bravest.
    William stepped forward, and, if his path goes unbarred, opens the bag to peer in.
    Alea iacta est.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"Not much."
    "Heh," Edrick gave a mirthless chuckle. The battles of wit and words had never been his forte, and if she saw nothing in him to be feared then so much the better. He enjoyed proving those that underestimated him wrong.

Finally this L Mason arrived. As he spoke Edrick quickly tried to think back of what he knew of the man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Nobility check I believe.
    (1d20+7)[20]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Others are loyal to Mason. Things get too dangerous (weapon in bag?), draw dagger. Stab Mason behind the skull, paralyzing, not killing. Dagger to throat, use Mason as protection, get out of the room. Slit Mason's throat, probably bartender's too. Disappear into street, ditch cloak, disguise self, leave city.

Biggest threat: mages. Kill halfling first?...

Darren's mind continues its scheming, almost involuntarily, but still he says nothing.
    Last edited by Admiral; 2012-03-17 at 07:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by al'Lan Mandrag View Post
    Selena Trimaine

Selena recognised Eywels entering, a roguish man she'd always thought, but he had a charm that appealed to her, though she wasn't going to let that come through her shadowy facade. The other arrivals were a strange assortment, especially when they all seemed interested in displaying their most obvious talents.

The one with murder in his eyes sent a chill down her spine. She'd known men like him and thought him probably the most dangerous in the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana check to ascertain what the halfling has done with the green and purple mark - [roll0]

Then Lucius entered and her attention shifted straight to him. Why had this man chosen her, and what exactly was his plan?
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't know specifics, but it appears to have been an evocation reaction, that much is clear.

Lady fortune favors the bold, and silver always goes to the bravest.
    William stepped forward, and, if his path goes unbarred, opens the bag to peer in.
    Inside the bag is a series of coins, some stamped with a rose on one side and a angel on the other, the others stamped on one side with a lily and the other is blank.

"Newly minted currency used in the shadow dealings and undercity of Vern. They point to two organizations with need for identifiable capital and designs on rulership or control, for why else would one strike coins?"

You notice some of the coins have flecks of blood on them.

"Heh," Edrick gave a mirthless chuckle. The battles of wit and words had never been his forte, and if she saw nothing in him to be feared then so much the better. He enjoyed proving those that underestimated him wrong.

Finally this L Mason arrived. As he spoke Edrick quickly tried to think back of what he knew of the man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Nobility check I believe.
    [roll0]
    See PM

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
    Others are loyal to Mason. Things get too dangerous (weapon in bag?), draw dagger. Stab Mason behind the skull, paralyzing, not killing. Dagger to throat, use Mason as protection, get out of the room. Slit Mason's throat, probably bartender's too. Disappear into street, ditch cloak, disguise self, leave city.

Biggest threat: mages. Kill halfling first?...

Darren's mind continues its scheming, almost involuntarily, but still he says nothing.
    The halfling is flexing his fingers, and seems for a moment to look your way, then down at his hands again, smiling.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

His stomach suddenly aflutter, William silently hooded his gaze, schooling his face into smoothness.
    Interesting. Very much so. And what would you propose that we do about this organisation, Mason?
    William leaned back against the wall again, his cloak thrown back over his shoulders, torchlight reflecting off of his form-fitting mithral.
    Alea iacta est.