New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Little Green

This time you once again hear the voice loudly and not in your mind.

"Silence insolent mortal. I am sent to deliver a message. An idiot human that had been charged with an important mission has failed us. He lost something important and precious... we need to find them before the ritual can progress..."
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

"That's great. I'm the man for the job. You don't have to kidnap the kid to get me to cooperate. What part of being a willing volunteer don't you people understand?" Little Green gets up.

"Anyways, who, what, and where?"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #513

The hellcat roars and you detect mocking in his voice.

"We dont need your little protege halfling... we are still looking for the item in question. You need to go to the Mages Quarter and find out about the illicit spellbook trade... somehow the spellbook containing the correct sylables for the incantaion was stollen from the owner... the owner has already been punished for this. The thief will be punished in due time... we want you to simply retrive the item. We could do it ourselves but too much involvement raises suspicion..."

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

"And that's why you've come to the little green fellow. No problem. I'll get it for you. Do I get an address?"
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #515

"More like a riddle which is all we got from our divinations..." it growls.

"When the gargoyle see the glorious host of light walk the dark hemisphere before she retires; look at that which has no blood, has no hair yet has the loudest of voices. Follow its shadow and find your hearts desire." it says with a much deeper colder voice.

A moment later you wake up once again drenched in cold sweat. Jana is sleeping peacefully in her bed.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Damn oneiromancers. I swear, some day, I'll kill every practitioner of dream magic. Painfully.

Little Green will sleep the rest of the night.

7. - Top - End - #517

Spoiler
    Show

Could have sworn I answered...

He wakes up refreshed in the morning. Jana is tucked safely in her bed.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot. Do I need to do something today or is the ritual/cult bust tonight?

Little Green will head off and steal his usual breakfast.

9. - Top - End - #519

Spoiler
    Show

The ritual was meant to be today but as the component is missing its cancelled unless you procure it on the same day.

Once again he manages to steal a poor foodsellers livelihood and enjoys his ill gotten gains.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green will ponder the riddle, thinking if his vast draconic knowledge will provide him clues.

Spoiler
    Show

knowledge - (d20+14)[26]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[17]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[16]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[33]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[26]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[24]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[27]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[18]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[29]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[17]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[21]
    knowledge - (d20+14)[18]

the ten PHB, incarnum, and psionics in that order. PHB listed alphabetically.

11. - Top - End - #521

Spoiler
    Show

An interest way of approaching the riddle... you do not wish to have a look at all at the location and try and puzzle it out?

Your rolls are good enough for me to tell you what each part means but perhaps you want to give it a try anyway?

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was just looking for a hint. Didn't want the full answer, just some hints about the bits. My next step was to go to the area and piece it together.

13. - Top - End - #523

His experience and knowledge hints that the first part of the puzzle has to do with the moon and probably a particular timing.

The second part is probably about an item or landmark. Generally he knows that in riddles items are given anthropomorphic elements while only one of them is relevant so for example a riddle about smoke could be 'tall thin monk, growing taller but without bones' indicating the grey color as it goes higher and higher yet has no substance.

The last part simply indicates that one should follow the clues to the location.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green will head to the mage's quarter and look for a belltower. If he finds one, he will wait until moonrise and watch the shadow. If the shadow seems to be pointing to something around its setting, he will check there.

15. - Top - End - #525

Spoiler
    Show

250xp for the riddle.

Little Green idea proves to be correct.

As he arrives in the specified location he does notice a belltower rising over the majority of the buildings. The bell tiself is very large and when the moon hits at the appropriate time the whole image is slightly eery.

The shadow of the bell leads between two abandoned buildings inside an alley. From where you are standing it seems like a dead end but the shadow of the bell illuminates, or rather endarkens, the far wall that blocks the street.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green will stay invisible and check out that wall.

17. - Top - End - #527

He senses a... disturbance.

As he approaches he feels that the area where the shadow touches the wall seems to shimmer as if there is something beyond it yet nothing is visible. Its almost as if the shadow becomes liquid and there are ripples on the surface.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Well, worst case I have to explain to the Lady why I died.

Confident that the above won't happen, Little Green will attempt to leap headlong through.

19. - Top - End - #529

He touches the wall and it almost sucks him inside.

He feels cold and a sharp pain but only for a second. The next moment he opens his eyes and finds himself in a large open space.

Looking behind you, you see a large arc made out of black stone. All around him he can see a large grey wasteland. As far as his eyes can see there is nothing anywhere around.

With one exception. A large building stands before him, 30 feet high with no windows also made from the same black stone material. The door, made from obsidian, is half open and he hears voices from inside.

Despite the fact that there is no sun anywhere in sight there is enough light to see properly but the atmosphere is chilly.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd hope I can see, what with 60ft darkvision, low-light vision, and 20ft blindsense.

Little Green will approach the open door, taking 10 on move silently, and listen for sounds within.

(d20+9)[10]

21. - Top - End - #531

Spoiler
    Show

Its atmosphere :D the point is that even without all those abilities you can still see, its just that the light doesnt seem to come from nowhere...

He hears ongoing conversations from inside. Spending a minute by the door helps him recognise at least 6 different voices. The accents are vastly different than anything you have heard before.

There seems to be some haggling going on, some mild arguement and a card game based on what you hear about someone bluffing and someone folding.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green will approach closer, seeking to learn what was being haggled over.

Spoiler
    Show
    oh, btw, having a shadowy point lead me to the plane of shadows. Very nwn2 of you.

23. - Top - End - #533

Spoiler
    Show

Close but not cigar.

Do you think me so bannal as to use the plane of shadows? Its been done to death...

Voice one (a weird booming yet somehow slimy voice): No absolutely not Narexifus! More than 500 per larvae is simply not a possibly!

Voice two (a much older voice almost a paternal tone) : One must make a living in these bleak times, in this bleak place m'lord.

Voice one: You have to understand that I have made promises to those above! The quotas must be met!

Voice two: I absolutely understand and that is why I would suggest a trade! How about I cut the price down to 400 but you send me 15 of your personal guard to be mine for the next 99 years. Should they die I will reimbursh you with another 5 larvae a piece!

Voice one (grudgingly): I guess something like this can work... lets say 380 and 12 of the guard?

Voice two: Okay, but I am almost cutting my own throat. But I wont press the matter more!

Voice one: You are a life saver Narefixus!

Voice two: Yes yes, please arrange the details with my friend when he is done gambling. And you? What is it you need?

Voice three (a much softer almost worried one): Er... just... just a guide I guess? My name is Wolfgang and I am an explorer.

Voice one: AN EXPLORER? WHY what a wonderful notion! It is indeed what we just needed here. Someone to explore and make a detailed account!
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-11-02 at 03:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green will enter and take a look around, trying to figure out where the book could be hidden.

Spoiler
    Show
    oh, this is some imitation transitive plane instead?

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green will enter and take a look around, trying to figure out where the book could be hidden.

Spoiler
    Show
    oh, this is some imitation transitive plane instead?

26. - Top - End - #536

The scene he sees inside could be from some kind of weird mummers play.

The room he enters is bigger than the outside would allow it to be.

You find yourself in a mixture of library, curia shop and tavern. The walls extend 60 feet high and each covered in bookcases, closets and drawers. Ladders that can extend and are on wheels are all around. There is no actual ceiling save for a thin paper on which inkspots appear and disappear.

Somehow from this weird ceiling various things are hanging on strings. You see a stuffed crocodile, a square metallic creature that tries to walk on air but cant since the string from which it hangs is very firm and similar strange devices.

At the back of the room there is a large counter made from bronze and around the counter there is an assortment of furniture. Tables, couches, stools, stands and armchairs all different from each other, each more weird than the last.

And if all this is not shocking enough he then sees the patrons.

Behind the counter he is a humanoid figure dressed in colorfoul silk robes. The main thing about it that stands out is that the head of the creature is a spectacled fox or jackal. As it talks when you enter you identify is as "voice 2"

Standing right in front of him is voice one. Probably the most normal patron as it is a tall human wearing breastplate armor and carrying an oversized morningstar.

Next to the human is a small imp that is counting a large number of bills. The imp is bright red and has numerous tattoos and scars.

In the table further from the counter you see an 8 feet tall massive figure that is basically a humanoid vulture leaning on a long spear. Next to the vulture is probably the largest orc you have ever seen or heard about dressed in nothing more than a loincloth and carrying a huge club. He also wears a very weird holy symbol on his chest. The last member of the group is... well... a gelatinous cube that has a faint green-blue color. Inside the ooze you can see a decomposing gnome and a number of weapons and other items. The three individuals seem to be looking over a map.

Accross this table you see a bauriar and a centaur playing a weird card game while two memphits, a dust one and an ash one are quarelling about who is winning.

You do notice that the moment you enter the fox/jackal man from behind the counter looks in your direction as if he sees exactly where you are. He then turns back to the armored human.

Spoiler
    Show

And as for the plane...

wrong again :D

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-11-02 at 04:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green will drop the invisbility and say, "I'm lookin' for a spellbook. Anyone able to hook me up?"

diplomancy - (d20+19)[35]

28. - Top - End - #538

Most of the heads turn to your direction. In the case of the cube it turns so that the skeleton inside is facing towards you.

The orc sniffs the air and murmurs to the vulture like figure "I could club him with club of clubbing by Bahgtru for scaring you like that Dave!" as indeed you see the vultureman jump at the sound of your voice.

The card players ignore you while the two memphits turn, look at you and start laughing.

The imp grins, the man in the armor turns to look at you and lastly the fox/jackal man motions you closer.

"Well kind sir... I do happen to have a large collection of spellbooks. Too large someone could say. And if I dont have it I can procure it. And if I cant procure it then my name is not Narexifus. And my name IS Narexifus" he says and smiles.

Spoiler
    Show

If you would be at all interested in what the various... creatures are you need the following knowledge checks.

Knowledge Religion, Knowledge Planes, Knowledge Nature

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+14)[28](d20+14)[31](d20+14)[28]

religion, the planes, and nature in that order.

"Someone recently acquired a book in Aldhaven from some cultists, and I have been hired to acquire it for my employer. I would love to know that I haven't come to the wrong place."

bluff - (d20+17)[27]

30. - Top - End - #540

The jackal-fox thing is an Arcanaloth which is a type of Yugoloth. Yugoloths are a race of evil outsiders that generally do not take sides in the Blood War but rather work as mercenaries for both sides and having their own agendas. The Arcanaloths are considered the most knowledgable and reasonable of the demonic Yugoloths and are civilised to the extreme. Generally they operate as brokers for favors and arrange the deals though they can be as formidable in battle as the rest of their kind.

The imp is a type of minor devil usually doing the errands of the more powerful of its kind though they are known to cause problems to those not carefully or unwary. Though something seems amiss with this particular imp, it seems to have too much attitude for one of its kind and you also recall the Arcanaloth calling it -m'lord-.

The bauriar is a half-goat half man, much like centaur but different in style. Memphits are small elemental spirits of a particular elements aspect that generally stick close to powerful masters running errands and entertaining them. Neither the memphits nor the two half-men have something more distinctive to help you recognise who they might serve or work for.

The human talking to the Arcanaloth has a holy symbol in the chest of his armor. You recognise Fharlanghn, god of Travel.

Lastly the Orc is a servant of Baghtru, Orcish god of Strength, Loyalty and Stupidity. The gelatinous cube is well... a gelatinous cube. The vulture humanoid seems to be, based on what you have read, a type of powerful demon, a Vrock though judging by the worried, or even scared, looks he gives to everyone in the room something must be wrong with him.

The Arcanaloth snaps his fingers and a chair appears next to you.

"I am sure we can find that which was acquired so you can acquire it back! Please be seated until I am done with this gentleman here and I will be right with you. Out of curiosity... do you have currencies to pay for the spellbook or will you be looking to offer a service in return?"