New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - Little Green

Spoiler
    Show

Does he have something allowing him to take 10 on "stressful situations"? if not give me a hide and a ms for the shadowing them part.

The critter and the girl start walking towards the north, closer to the plaza where you had originally visited.

They occasionally exchange words as it instructs her to hide in particular shadow patches when it sees someone approach or when it reassures her. It seems more and more that somehow it has glammered her in a way that she has become very trusting towards it as this is not normal behavior.

Eventually you arrive at a smaller plaza that has a well in the middle of it. The creature looks left and right to ensure noone is coming and then runs towards it motioning to her to follow.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    move silently - (d20+14)[27]

hide - (d20+27)[32]

I know, the hide is pathetically low compared to Ish, but keep in mind that he's a halfling and not a skulk, and not trained in hide :P

Little Green follows right along behind them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #123

Spoiler
    Show

I dont see how 27 is pathetically low!

Plus there are situational modifiers here due to night and the creature doesnt have dark vision only low light.

The critter looks down the well and gives a short shriek which is answered by a similar call. You hear a noise from down there as if stone scrapes on stone and then it turns to the girl.

"In you go sunbeam! Follow me and use the handholds to not fall in the water. Halfway there you will find an opening and you can step in! My friend will take you to the other kids. I have to go back and write a note for your uncle that everything is fine!" it says and you realise its lieing probably heading back to make sure there are no evidence left behind. Jana doesnt seem to realise that at all and indeed starts climbing in.

You are faced with the dilemma of following her or the creature.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    low compared to Ish
    Little Green will follow her. Let the creature deceive her uncle. He cares not. Maybe that will make the abusive man realize that he misses her and scare him into not neglecting the blessing of a child he was entrusted with. He follows Jana.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #125

You, and Jana, find that the handholds are designed for a small or tiny creatures hands and a bigger individual coult not effectively use them.

They are more hand grips carved in the bricks of the well than actual handles and they also function as footholds.

A minute or so later, and with no further incident you arrive at an opening on the well wall. It seems to have been there for a long time and not something recent like the handholds.

Waiting for her there is another of the creatures that makes way for her to enter the passage and takes a few steps back giving her enough space. You see that it does the same thing with its proboscis as soon as the girl steps in the passage and it grins at her.

"Hello sweety! Lets go quickly! Your friends are waiting" it says in a similarly bad common dialect like before.

Jana follows with some enthusiasm and 10 feet further down the creature turns and presses a particular brick. The passage behind you closes and everything is plunged in darkness. Jana gives a gasp at this but the, to her ears, reassuring voice comes again.

"Dont worry sweety. I am right here. Just touch the wall to your left so you dont get lost and keep walking, its not far at all!" it says.

As you follow the stench assaults you, whatever this passage is it is either connected or part of the sewers.

Spoiler
    Show

And a new hide and ms for the new gentleman you just met please ;)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

move silently - (d20+14)[26]

hide - (d20+27)[35]

Little Green now at last knows of something he wants to kill more than the abusive or neglectful parents: these child-robbers.

He ponders what they could be.

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge:nature - (d20+14)[34]
    knowledge:arcana - (d20+14)[26]
    knowledge:the planes - (d20+14)[30]
    knowledge:dungeoneering - (d20+14)[32]
    knowledge:local - (d20+14)[23]
    knowledge:psionics - (d20+14)[27]
    knowledge:history - (d20+14)[30]
    knowledge:architecture and engineering - (d20+14)[18]
    knowledge:incarnum - (d20+14)[28]
    knowledge:nobility and royalty - (d20+14)[20]
    knowledge:geography - (d20+14)[17]
    knowledge:religion - (d20+14)[26]
    knowledge:military tactics? - (d20+14)[22]

if, rather than spam you with all possible knowledge rolls I could make, you'd rather I just roll a single check and you'll assign it to whichever one you want, that's fine with me. I treat all knowledge skills as trained and have a 14 mod on all of them. so to me it matters not which one I use.
    Last edited by planswalker; 2011-07-28 at 07:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Spoiler
    Show

Its okay. Plus it helps if there is a "knowledge mix" there ;)

In this case its a mix of arcana and planes

As you have been watching the creatures for some time your memory dredges up what it knows about them finally recognising them.

Spoiler
    Show
    The creatures are called Tuk's and they are an outsider race bred by an evil deity or wizard to be used as agents of terror amongst his enemies. While not terribly fearsome one on one they seem to have incredibly well honed abilities at cooperating and helping one another managing otherwise impossible feats.

Their main terror tactic is their ingrained lust for destroying children. This hatred towards small humanoids was meant to strike at the heart and hope of said deites enemies. Although this hatred was initially designed as a tool against children the Tuk's hate actual small humanoids as well like halflings and gnomes. To them it seems small is small.

Apart from their cooperation tricks the most powerful weapon of the Tuks is an ability their proboscis has. Though to adults they appear as you saw them, fairly ugly knots of flesh with bones protruding from their flesh children see them in a diffrent light. They perceive them as small, cute friendly creatures. It also gives the Tuks the ability to subtly and slowly manipulate them convincing them of their parents being evil or of their siblings wanting to harm them and eventually making them abandon their homes or worse.

There is an elven legend, the legend of the Angry Ones, about a group of children driven mad by the Tuk's deception that lead them to sabotage the village's defences against the drow, poison the food and water supply and set set alight to most of the houses before running into the forest to continue plotting against the oppresive adults.

As you follow the creature and the child you end up in an even smellier part of the sewer. The creatures moves around by feel and by the occasional glimmer of light from a sewer grating. Finally it stops just after an intersection and drops in all fours. It finds a particular part in the wall where a small opening has been made for the store or residence of above to have a way to dispose of garbage and sewage.

The Tuk turns to the girl and smiles.

"Come, come sweety, we are here! Just through this hole and up the ladder and we shall find all your friends!" it says with an evil tone to your ears.

The stench hear is almost unbearable and though you cant see color through darkvision as you enter the opening and look at the ladder leading up at what seems like a trapdoor now closed the brass smell and the stickiness as well as the various remains are enough for you to understand that whatever this house or store is they are using the sewers to get rid of bad meat and blood. Most of the rotting pieces left here are of identifiable animals.

Jana starts climbing up and the Tuk follows after her putting it between you and her.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green is now intimately grateful to his draconic ancestor for the gift of draconic senses. Well, all except his draconic smell. He could do without that at the moment. However, not having to see to know where they were was helpful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have low light vision, darkvision, and 20ft blindsense. Just a helpful reminder.

Not concerned about the tuk as att at the moment, Little Green follows behind the Tuk.

Spoiler
    Show
    hide and ms checks:

(d20+27)[40] and (d20+14)[26]

As he follows them, Little Green tries to recall what sort of tactics they use in combat and any special powers that may help them, either singly or as a group. He'll also try to recall the size of typical groups of these creatures.

Spoiler
    Show
    combat tactics:
    arcana, the the planes:(2d20)[7][20](27) add 14 to each die roll.
    special powers:
    arcana, the the planes:(2d20)[13][15](28) add 14 to each die roll.
    typical numbers
    arcana, the the planes:(2d20)[4][1](5) add 14 to each die roll.

if there was a third kind of knowledge, use:
    (3d20)[5][14][10](29) add 14 to each die roll as needed.

9. - Top - End - #129

Spoiler
    Show

Does blind sense work through walls? I dont have access to SRD right now thats why I am asking.

As for the other... visions I guess I am giving you an exact description cause of them!

He does indeed recall a fair amount of info!

Spoiler
    Show

Tactics/Special abilities:

Tuks are incredibly coordinated. Though they are not strong or tough they are very dexterous and have developed the equivalent of pack tactics. By honing these techniques they can make sure that some of them always manage to land blows on their targets while the rest try to distract their opponents.

In practice this translates as an unlimited aid another. There is no limit to how many Tuks can perform the aid another action stacking the modifiers.

--

The only special ability other than the effect they have on children is the fact that they grow their teeth very quickly. While their claw attacks are not as strong and dont ussually end up harming their opponents with more than basic scratches they can -spit- their teeth with air from powerful lungs causing significant damage. This is an attack that can benefit from the Cooperation (as mentioned above) as the Tuks spit one after the other creating a barrage.

Numbers:

Tuks operate in packs of 6 to 10. There is no hierarchy among Tuks though occasionally they choose to follow more powerful individuals that protects them from harm.

The ladder goes up for 30 feet before it reaches the trapdoor and Jana turns to look down towards the Tuk.

"So what do I do now my little friend?" the little girl asks as she has reached an obstacle she cant see in the dark.

"Just knock sweety, my brothers and sisters will open up for you!" it says with soft whine and follows moving quickly up the ladder as well.

The girl knocks and a moment later there is the sound of the trapdoor opening. At the lip of the hole you see two more Tuks looking at her. The stench of blood and meat intensifies though this time it does not have the same hint of rotting.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I do have to have line of effect for the blindsense to work, but that's all.

Little Green will use a cone of weakening breath on the Tuk on the ladder.

"Jana, I wouldn't go up there if I was you." "Talehos" says.

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy check to try to convince her not to go up there: (d20+18)[22]

he then rolls for initiative, I suspect.

fort save dc 18 for only 2 rounds of -6 str instead of 4.

11. - Top - End - #131

The tuk on the ladder squeaks in fear and frustration and loses his grip on the ladder falling the 30 feet on the floor...

Spoiler
    Show

(3d6)[12] falling damage

... and splattering all over the ground.

The little girl lets out a small cry as well and looks behind her in the darkness not seeing you and then back forward towards the other Tuk's that are illuminated by torchlight from somewhere up there.

You do notice that her eyes seem to be glazing weirdly as if her mind is under some kind of fog and then she continues heading up.

"Come Talehos! They can play with us! You can tell them your story" she says as you see the other two Tuks looking down the ladder.

Spoiler
    Show

Indeed initiative it is!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+3)[10]

"I'll be right up. I just first must kill some horrid monsters that are following you." Little Green says.

13. - Top - End - #133

The little girl looks down with a worried look as she hears you talking about monsters and climbs faster TOWARDS the real monsters.

The tuks act faster than you and you see two more appear at the mouth of the trapdoor. One helps Jana climb up and join them while the other drops a lit torch illuminating you as it falls down.

The remaining two Tuks look at you with a degree of annoyance and anger and the give out a very high pithced shriek.

One of the two grabs the others head and steadies it. The "steadied one" seems to chew his own mouth and then spits something towards you.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack! (1d20+5)[13] + 2 from aid another - if crit (1d20+5)[9] + 2.

Damage (1d4+1)[2] - crit if crit (1d4+1)[3]

Despite the fact that you are not using your shield and that you dont have alot of room to evade the tooth hits you but doesnt penetrate your tough skin.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-07-29 at 01:31 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume the not using a shield is fluff...

Talehos responds by shooting a line of fire at the one on the far left for (4d6)[18] in a 30 foot line. reflex dc 18 half.

15. - Top - End - #135

Spoiler
    Show

I thought you are climbing after them since you said you follow them... climbing after them would mean using your hands to climb and hence no shield. Seeing your PM I guess you mean you are staying down?

The creature does not manage to get out of the way and its upper half turns to ashes.

His helper spits at you this time helped by the one that offered his hand to Jana. As soon as he spits the tooth at you they both move back out of sight.

Spoiler
    Show

As before (1d20+7)[17] - crit confirm (1d20+7)[19]
    damage (1d4+1)[2] - crit dmg if crit (1d4+1)[5]

The tooth lands a foot away from where you are standing.

The remaining one responds by pulling back from the manhole so you cant target it and saying...

"Come little girl, tell your friend its all right here and that he should slowly climb up without trying anything foolish.... if he keeps wanting to harm us we may have to show him how a little girl can try and fly..."
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-07-29 at 01:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green's response it to climb 15 feet up the ladder and use a cone of weakening breath on the two Tuks at the entrance.

Spoiler
    Show
    save is still dc18

17. - Top - End - #137

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure if you understood their actions... Consider that the ladder and trapdoor on the roof is like a well with a ladder. They were at the lip of the well looking down on you. On their turn they shot at you and then moved away... the way the trapdoor is designed unless you reach the lip of it, or at least 5 feet from the top you cant see in the room that they are in...

Feel free to change your action...

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green will climb up the ladder and over the the edge.

19. - Top - End - #139

The scene up here is even worse than you could have imagined.

You find yourself in what seems to be a butchers back room.

Pieces of meat of pigs and cows are hanging from large hooks dripping blood. The atmosphere in here is much cooler and the smell of blood is overpowering.

Apart from a large wood and stone table probably used for the cutting of the meat into stakes and the like there is no furnishing in the room with the exception of what looks like small wooden dog houses in the back corner. All in all the room is 25 by 25 and there is also a door, closed currently on the far north wall.

You notice that in the corner next to dog houses a child seems unconsious and chained.

All this you see in the few seconds that it takes the Tuks to spot you. You see 7 of them clustered around. One of them is holding Jana in front of him while the others in groups of 3 spit at you.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack and helpers one

(1d20+9)[14] - confirm (1d20+9)[10]
    damage (1d4+1)[5] - confirm (1d4+1)[3]

Attack and helpers two

(1d20+9)[24] - confirm (1d20+9)[12]
    damage (1d4+1)[5] - confirm (1d4+1)[2]

The second squad does just barely manage to break your skin with their combined aiming.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-07-29 at 02:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    map please? What is best to do depends greatly on the specific tactics of the room.

21. - Top - End - #141

Spoiler
    Show

I am not the best mapper but here goes...

hope it helps. You are currently at the well and it is your turn. The Tuk with the kid has a readied action.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Little Green will walk to C3 and shoot a cone of weakening breath at the tuk with Jana square all the way over to the tuk group of three over there.

He does not relish the though of possibly immobilizing the kid but figures that a live helpless kid is better than the tuk killing her.

23. - Top - End - #143

Jana, the took holding her and two of the other three all drop on the floor completely helpless.

The remaining took as well as the trio shoot some of their teeth at him.

Spoiler
    Show

Solo Tuk

(1d20+5)[17] - confirm (1d20+5)[8]
    damage (1d4+1)[5] - confirm (1d4+1)[4]

Triad

(1d20+9)[18] - confirm (1d20+9)[29]
    damage (1d4+1)[3] - confirm (1d4+1)[3]

Round 1/4 of the weaking.

... unfortunately for them, none of the teeth manage to wound the brave halfling.

They all start shrieking loudly as they see their numbers diminishing.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-07-29 at 04:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Talehos will move to stand in front of Jana and blast the three Tuks that are on the ground for (4d6)[14] cold damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    and it's kinda hard to succeed a reflex save when helpless, isn't it?

25. - Top - End - #145

The three tuks freeze to their deaths, or rather to deep unconsiousness without as much as a pip or an attempt to get out of the way.

Jana and the Tuk that was holding her are still looking around helplessly.

The other three Tuks realise, a bit later perhaps that you are too tough to deal this way and they all charge you individually.

Spoiler
    Show

Tuk1
    (1d20+8)[10] - confirm (1d20+8)[12]
    damage (1d4-3)[0] - crit (1d4-3)[-2]

Tuk2
    (1d20+8)[24] - confirm (1d20+8)[15]
    damage (1d4-3)[1] - crit (1d4-3)[0]

Tuk3
    (1d20+8)[19] - confirm (1d20+8)[10]
    damage (1d4-3)[-1] - crit (1d4-3)[1]

One of them manages to draw blood and it whoops and yells in excitement.

Spoiler
    Show

Fortitude save vs poison and also listen check.

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-07-30 at 04:08 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    my best save - (d20+9)[14] listen - (d20+9)[11]. edit: really? really? come ON!. at least I probably made the save. dc 15 saves are rare on creatures so small.

Little Green will take a 5' step back and blast these three with weakening breath.
    Last edited by planswalker; 2011-07-30 at 09:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

Indeed his metabolism easily overcomes the weak poison. As he breathes out the 3 creatures collapse.

As he is focused on the creatures he does not hear the foot steps that were approaching.

He does see the door open as a massive Orc dressed as a butcher walks inside holding a massive cleaver enters the room.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    do I sense a diablo influence? my first "boss" is the Butcher?

One thing at a time. Talehos thinks. He fire breaths the group of three for (4d6)[16] and walks over next to Jana.

"You will die either way, little child-stealing monster. But if you harm Jana in any way, your death will be as slow and agonizing as I can make it."

Spoiler
    Show
    intimidate - (d20+7)[10]

29. - Top - End - #149

Spoiler
    Show
    Its actually Gerkal the fleshcarver a famous butcher in this district for his fresh and superb quality meats. His store was mentioned when you came to the area. He is famous for being rude and aggressive with the customers who tolerate him cause of how good his meats are...

The Orc roars in frustration and anger as you burn three more Tuks into a crisp.

"You monster! My poor babies. You will bleed for this!" he screams as he flier into a rage and charges you with an animal like pounce...

The helpless Tuk that is next to Jana shrieks fearlessly as it sees its guardian attack you.

Spoiler
    Show
    I dont have my books as I am out. Will resolve the attack when I am home.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    fair enough.

oh, and can I say eew...