New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Alternate Rules: (NE)w (R)ules for (F)ull spellcasters!

Decided to add a few spells that serve the example of "problem spells that can't work as incantations" and what I perceive would be good alterations for them.

The basis for each spell is either the Find Traps spell (you gain a bonus to a skill equal to half your caster level) or Spell Resistance, with a few changes in between.

Two spells will be controversial, though. The first, of course, is Time Stop. As you can see, the spell was essentially buffed and nerfed at the same time; the idea was that, since it's difficult to deal with this degree of action economy, making it a veritable hassle to use would be a reasonable exchange. The swift action makes sense in a way, but it's open for interpretation, as you could easily claim that you could use a full-round action with interruptions in order to use the spell (though it would still be Quickened). It can't be maximized or empowered no longer, as the duration of the spell depends on how many turns the caster wishes to extend, but they still get that unavoidable daze effect, and being nearly 9 turns doing nothing because you wanted to take your actions beforehand... Then there's the idea of the party buff, and finally a caster entering the area of Time Stop of its enemy makes it a bit more palatable. However, it CAN be refined without having to make it an incantation; it's an attempt to make it both useful and a hassle so that it can exist without being banned (though I can't control whether you wish to ban it or not; that is a decision best left to each DM, though).

The other...well, you may consider either Glibness or Zone of Truth. Glibness got a HUGE nerf in that you no longer gain that sexy +30 bonus to Bluff, while Zone of Truth could easily make it an incantation instead of a spell. YMMV with these ones.

Now, as usual: questions? Comments? I'd like to see what you think about the spells, whether they still make them problem spells, and ways to deal with other problem spells. Also, I'd specifically like to know about Time Stop, and how it could be nerfed without making it lose any of its utility.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Like the time stop spells extending to allies, but I have a little trouble figuring out what a martial class would do in the round.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    Like the time stop spells extending to allies, but I have a little trouble figuring out what a martial class would do in the round.
    Depends on what they have or what they can do by those levels. Time Stop works best to set up last-minute buffs in order, and if by some reason the martial character can still prepare readied actions, he could easily set up such an action without worrying about attacks of opportunity or that the enemy moves before them. It requires a bit of creativity, but it allows for a set-up of the entire party on their behalf. It essentially allows all allies to take a full-round action, and what they do with those actions (except attack, as they can't do so) is their decision.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, it's been...what, 7 months? A bit less than that? Sorry for the delay, but as I mentioned, I have more homebrew than I have actually posted, and it tends to distract me from some other stuff.

However, this is to post that at least a few spells have been turned into incantations. These are on the first page, third post, and are Analyze Dweomer, Astral Projection, Atonement, Awaken and Binding. The rest should come in about two weeks or so, and I may have to use further posts for most of the others, because the list is quite big.

I noticed that there's another way to deal with some problem spells, and that is to increase their spell level. Do you consider this a good idea, considering that there's the slight chance that some problem spells actually become even MORE powerful than before? That's about their last chance before being actually banned, because it delays their entry pretty significantly.

So: the translations been actually fair? Is it a good idea to tweak the spell levels of some spells?
    On Lawful Good:

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, it's been...what, 7 months? A bit less than that? Sorry for the delay, but as I mentioned, I have more homebrew than I have actually posted, and it tends to distract me from some other stuff.

However, this is to post that at least a few spells have been turned into incantations. These are on the first page, third post, and are Analyze Dweomer, Astral Projection, Atonement, Awaken and Binding. The rest should come in about two weeks or so, and I may have to use further posts for most of the others, because the list is quite big.

I noticed that there's another way to deal with some problem spells, and that is to increase their spell level. Do you consider this a good idea, considering that there's the slight chance that some problem spells actually become even MORE powerful than before? That's about their last chance before being actually banned, because it delays their entry pretty significantly.

So: the translations been actually fair? Is it a good idea to tweak the spell levels of some spells?
    On Lawful Good: