New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Can't Remember that Certain Book?

Although I make this thread to ask for help remember a certain book trilogy, this thread could also be used by others who remember vague details of a book the once read but cannot remember the title or author.

My question is, what was the name and author of a certain "dragon rider" trilogy. To sum the trilogy up, this is a world where dragons are no more then semi-intelligent flying lizards (no sentient fire breathers here) and how the main character becomes a rider for a nation at war with another comparably sized nation (think the 100 year war with england versus france).

The series was how each nation had never used dragons in war before and book by book, the dragons are used in more complicated and valuable ways culminating into victory by carpet bombing the enemy nation's capital with magically condensed (then expanded) boulders and firebombs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Can't Remember that Certain Book?

I started reading a book called Dragonmaster that could be that description. Gave up on it cuz I thought it was pretty awful, though... One of the first things to happen is the main character rescues one or more kittens from a bully.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I started reading a book called Dragonmaster that could be that description. Gave up on it cuz I thought it was pretty awful, though... One of the first things to happen is the main character rescues one or more kittens from a bully.
    In a book called Dragonmaster? Wow...

4. - Top - End - #4

Yup. And then later he sees a dragon, and climbs up to it, and for the first time ever he jumps on its back, and omg he's a natural dragon rider.
    ...yeah, I kinda gave up on it pretty quickly.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Wish I'd directly had experience, but some stuff you're saying reminds me of the premise of Temeraire...the Napoleonic war where they learn to use dragons.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post

PERFECT! This was exactly what I was looking for! While yes the beginning is terrible (I got it for Christmas and tried to read it 3 times and giving up each time but had to leave it behind when I got kicked out of the house) it gets massively better after he is conscripted into the army.

I highly recommend it for people who like realistic military fantasy and while yeah those are two words that should never go together this trilogy makes it work however rocky the start of the first book is. The trilogy is kind of like reading about early tanks in WWI or early Jets in WW2, people knew they were powerful but didn't quite know what to do with them.

For a good synopses this is his Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_B...master_Trilogy
    Last edited by LordShotGun; 2011-07-28 at 01:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    PERFECT! This was exactly what I was looking for! While yes the beginning is terrible (I got it for Christmas and tried to read it 3 times and giving up each time but had to leave it behind when I got kicked out of the house) it gets massively better after he is conscripted into the army.
    Saying it took you three attempts to stomach the beginning isn't much of an endorsment

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Saying it took you three attempts to stomach the beginning isn't much of an endorsment
    Well eventually I just skipped like the first 5 chapters (missing nothing important) and got into it. Kinda like how I started the night angel series. The beginning sucks but gets super special awesome a little of the way into it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Ehh, I've come across more then a few books whose first 50-100 pages was barely tolerable, and I considered giving up on it, but after sticking it out, they all turned out to be quite enjoyable. Judging a book by a slow start can be a bad mistake at times I've learned.

Well eventually I just skipped like the first 5 chapters (missing nothing important) and got into it. Kinda like how I started the night angel series. The beginning sucks but gets super special awesome a little of the way into it.
    Isn't that the trilogy by Brent whatever, about an orphan kid that becomes an Assassin?
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-07-28 at 06:07 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Meh. I read several chapters in, and then got to the point where he told the general what to do, got shot down and then was totally right and only barely survived even though everyone else died because of the general's gross incompetence and he was like totally great at everything... and then I went "omg I've never seen such a massive Marty Stu" and gave up.
    Maybe it's better after that, but meh.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2011-07-28 at 10:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Isn't that the trilogy by Brent whatever, about an orphan kid that becomes an Assassin?
    Yes, Shadow angels by Brent Weeks, one of the best (and most hardcore) fantasy books I ever read.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I read this one years ago. It was, I think, child/young adult fantasy. This guy is born into slavery. He has red hair, which is unusual where he lives, but not really special. Then, in some manner or other, he goes to another world, where red hair is extremely rare, and seen as a sign of divinity. This world is also a matriarchy, if I remember correctly. So the queen takes him as her mate for a while, and then at the end of a certain period, he is expected to go off a cliff in a chariot just after a big feast.

Of course, he doesn't particularly like this idea, so he takes one of the robot/constructs that are used in this world, called "pallids", modifies it so that it can survive eating and drinking long enough to imitate him, and it goes over the cliff in his place.
    Titus Andronicus on Ice!