New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: DotA 2 - Valve's up and coming hat simulator

So I finally got hold of a key today! (by virtue of winning the Dota1 Teamliquid tourney)

Anyone else around here is in the beta?

So far I've played a huge 2 games against bots in order to get used to the new UI. In the first game, I didnt know how to sell items/move items to get new one, so when I ferried my bottle I spent like 5 min to get it without success because the courrier finally died <<

Anyway, the feel is a lot more like HoN that DotA1 so far, so I think I'll get used to it fast enough :P I'll probably be streaming some games there at some point: http://twitch.tv/cynanmachae
    (if anyone is interested, I'm a 1750 MMR HoN player, but I've played a lot of DotA1 until 2 years ago where I switched to HoN)
    Cynan

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    And what if all heroes gain bonus damage only from Str, and not their respective main stats? Because it makes sense, Int makes you smarter, Agi faster, and Str hits harder. I would call that objectively bad design, given the current status of game.
    Obviously I used a streched out example to illustrate, but I hope you get my point.
    It's been done, they call it SotIS, and it is awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

3. - Top - End - #393
    Orc in the Playground

That was the whole point of my argument, that it is probably going to suck, no matter how much sense it makes.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

4. - Top - End - #394

I'd really like to participate in the various tournies for keys, but the new comp has half of tft and the old one has the other... Just got back from working across the country, so I do have 2 weeks of leisure, and don't mind picking up the game. IF there is a good way to snag a key. Anyone following it closely?
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

So, I got this email from [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by email
    Hello XXXXXX
    Tell us more about yourself

You recently indicated you want to play Dota2. Before we send the first batch of invites we need to collect a little more information from you about your level of gaming experience and your gaming rig.

To begin the survey go to the machine on which you intend to play Dota2, start Steam and click this link: steam://takesurvey/1/ (if you haven't restarted your Steam client for a few days, you might need to do that before clicking that link).

To install Steam go to http://www.steampowered.com/about

Thank you

The Dota2 Team
    Is this legit? I get a lot of fake scam emails from [email protected] about my WoW account (that is closed). Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

6. - Top - End - #396

Yes, it is. If you don't trust it though you can do it through the dota2 blog aswell.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's legit, but the link probably won't work until you update Steam. It pops open a survey in Steam which gathers your system specs and asks you a bunch of questions about your DotA experience level.

Embarrassingly, the questions are so specifically tailored to DotA 1 only that I had to answer all of them with "no experience," even though I've been playing LoL for two years and played EotA and DoE before it in WC3.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Survey completed. Lets go beta key! Please please please please!

9. - Top - End - #399

Looks like the first wave has gone out. Blog says it will be via email so check your emails. If you end up with three keys and share with playgrounders, even better. Good luck all!
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

10. - Top - End - #400

In da beta :)

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    In da beta :)
    Oh, this thread's alive.

I'm in the beta as well. And things are promising indeed. I especially liked the streamlined UI.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Icanhazbetakey? Seriously, did either of you get an extra key?

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Icanhazbetakey? Seriously, did either of you get an extra key?
    Lucky? /shrug.

Just woke up to find Steam has gifted me with the DotA 2 betakey. Sorry, already given out my two free keys though. I hear they're planning to send another wave of beta keys soon though.

I must say, the game is quite polished for a beta. (If you can look past the still broken matchmaking though. And the fountain shop is clearly a placeholder. Not even animated.)
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-11-15 at 02:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #404

I would aswell, but mine have been gifted. =(

I reeeeeeeally need to work on my denying again. This is sad.
    EDIT: You might want to check the playdota forums if you can't find one/don't get it soon enough.
    Last edited by Tono; 2011-11-15 at 11:18 AM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    That was the whole point of my argument, that it is probably going to suck, no matter how much sense it makes.
    The suckage, in my opinion, comes more from the player base than anything else. repositioning someone into a glitched spot in the map where they get stuck is OMFG SO BAD YU SHULD BE PERMABANNED 4 LIFE CHEETORR!1 but abusing a pudge-hook knockoff with a teleport consumable to pull someone into your spawn and instakill them is "Just buy a chrono dagger and deal with it". Heroes of Newerth players may be downright mean, but at least they aren't that stupid. Also SotIS has a ton of other smaller stupid design problems. One pusher hero used to be able to solo Aeon (basically, roshan) at level one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

16. - Top - End - #406

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    I would aswell, but mine have been gifted. =(

I reeeeeeeally need to work on my denying again. This is sad.
    EDIT: You might want to check the playdota forums if you can't find one/don't get it soon enough.
    I played you!

We got owned by Pudge <<
    Cynan

17. - Top - End - #407

Yea, you managed to still hold your own though. I think you were the only one on your team I didn't want to just dive in against.
    That pudge ticked me off a little though. He got some early kills and then constantly bragging and bashing in team chat. Was very annoying.

After a dozen games, I really don't like way the store is arranged. It feels weird finding items and buying/selling seems sloppy.
    Last edited by Tono; 2011-11-17 at 02:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I have a feeling answering that survey for the beta invites kinda screwed my chances of getting a beta key.

I played DotA A LOT in High School. Then I moved to the US with good internet and LoL consumed me. I really want to try DotA2, just becasue, its DotA2, but I haven't played DotA since last Christmas, and I told them that.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    I have a feeling answering that survey for the beta invites kinda screwed my chances of getting a beta key.

I played DotA A LOT in High School. Then I moved to the US with good internet and LoL consumed me. I really want to try DotA2, just becasue, its DotA2, but I haven't played DotA since last Christmas, and I told them that.
    Doubt it. People that only played LoL got into the beta.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

20. - Top - End - #410

Yea, I know people answered that they were pretty bad on the survey and got in, and the other way around as well. I think it'S more that they are trying to get a wide range of skills or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    Yea, you managed to still hold your own though. I think you were the only one on your team I didn't want to just dive in against.
    That pudge ticked me off a little though. He got some early kills and then constantly bragging and bashing in team chat. Was very annoying.

After a dozen games, I really don't like way the store is arranged. It feels weird finding items and buying/selling seems sloppy.
    Yea I was doing fine, except you can't do much when a pudge is running around and killing everyone else on the team lol. Our SK when 2 levels in each skills until level 11 (2-3 stats) as well. That was pretty lol

And yea, Pudge's attitude is a good exemple from the bad community, but I've stopped caring and just ignore them << He played well; but when you feel the need to bash your own team after that you got a problem
    Cynan

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

To anyone who wants to play, my Steam ID is Quicklyrainbow. I can't carry you but I'm a pretty decent player. I can also help people who are just transitioning to Dota / Dota 2 pick up the basics and the differences.

qkrn

22. - Top - End - #412
    Pixie in the Playground

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2011-11-29 at 11:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by OFWGKTA View Post
    {{scrubbed}}
    I used Garena for my DotA matchmaking purposes.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

[QUOTE=OFWGKTA;12283641]{{scrubbed}}/QUOTE]

I... honestly wouldn't recommend Garena. It's chock full of leavers, hackers and abusive players. DotA didn't earn it's bad reputation for being newbie-unfriendly for no reason.

Best get a friend or even a team of friend to play with. Or just wait for DotA 2.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd stay away from Garena. Use something like DotaCash - play through the DCClient so you can avoid Battle.net. Download an AI map and mess around a bit so you can get a feel for some of the heroes and their various roles. When you're ready to jump in, pick something like Lich. Don't solo, be careful and don't autoattack (it makes it easier for other players to time attacks to deny you the experience and gold you're trying to earn, and it pushes the creeps towards their tower, making you overextend). Check out some guides. A very good one for the absolute beginner is here: http://www.playdota.com/learn

Another, better guide is here: http://www.playdota.com/forums/46290...dota-you-suck/ (Purge is a caster for GosuGamers, he knows his stuff.) If you do play DotaCash and want someone to join in, I'd be happy to do so.

qkrn

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I just got a key. Actually 3. One for me, and 2 gifts. I'm holding one back for reserve for my old college roommate, but I might be convinced to give one away, if someone wants it.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Well, I just got a key. Actually 3. One for me, and 2 gifts. I'm holding one back for reserve for my old college roommate, but I might be convinced to give one away, if someone wants it.
    I could definitely use it if you still have it.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, didn't notice this thread at all. I guess I don't browse enough.

[Insert Generic/Expected Attempt to Shill for a Key Here]. I'd love to get a key if anyone has spares.

My only experience with DotA though has been two games of the original (I think version 3 or something like that) back on WCIII. I've played a bunch of League of Legends, though from what I've heard, it doesn't compare. Is the experience comparable or?

29. - Top - End - #419

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Hey, didn't notice this thread at all. I guess I don't browse enough.

[Insert Generic/Expected Attempt to Shill for a Key Here]. I'd love to get a key if anyone has spares.

My only experience with DotA though has been two games of the original (I think version 3 or something like that) back on WCIII. I've played a bunch of League of Legends, though from what I've heard, it doesn't compare. Is the experience comparable or?
    It's more comparable to a WoW battleground.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Have I ever mentioned how you're my favourite poster in the Playground, ever, and how brilliant and amazing you are?

I mention this purely in passing and with no ulterior motive in mind, my good buddy, chum, pal, etc, etc....