New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: DotA 2 - Valve's up and coming hat simulator

Quote Originally Posted by Tazar View Post
    Windrunner, Traxex AND Rylai? And I'll be at work for the next nine hours... Well, I'll enjoy the VOD of that one at least.

I am so mad right now. How do they look? I've yet to see any of their models ingame. Does Powershot still look sufficiently badass?
    I'd put Windrunner somewhere between Vengeful spirit (baaad) and Tidehunter (awesome).

I don't like how Ishkafel looks. He looks like Engima/Darchow, and less like Gondar.
    Last edited by Inhuman Bot; 2011-08-17 at 09:39 AM.
    trill in da playground

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, Tide was really awesome, and VS certainly needs work. If they just gave her some kind of "aura" thing, any kind of "post-processing" effect, I think that'd help a lot. She needs to be less lanky as well.

Anyone feel like throwing me a bone and posting a WR/Rylai screenshot?

I'm dying to see what they look like and I won't be able to for nine hours.
    "To never die and to conquer all - that is winning."
    -Illyria, Angel

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Observation: Dota2's spectator mode is severely lacking when compared to LoL's, or even moreso, HoN's.
    Last edited by Volatar; 2011-08-17 at 10:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

I like when I look through the team comps on the torunament site and click on Engima's 'more information about this hero' tab all it says is "#enigma_blurb".

Very... enigmatic.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

5. - Top - End - #215

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Observation: Dota2's spectator mode is severely lacking when compared to LoL's, or even moreso, HoN's.

While true, I wouldn't really cite that as a concern yet as the game hasn't even entered into beta. Spectator features should take second priority to implementing actual gameplay features.

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    I like when I look through the team comps on the torunament site and click on Engima's 'more information about this hero' tab all it says is "#enigma_blurb".

Very... enigmatic.
    Heh, so it wasn't just me? Good to know.
    Last edited by Tazar; 2011-08-17 at 10:20 AM.
    -Illyria, Angel

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

MYM got destroyed so badly.
    trill in da playground

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

While true, I wouldn't really cite that as a concern yet as the game hasn't even entered into beta. Spectator features should take second priority to implementing actual gameplay features.
    Spectator mode is hugely important when your first big marketing push is a livestreamed million-dollar tournament. DotA2 is being developed by a large team. Spectator mode can easily be developed parallel to gameplay.
    My Twitter

8. - Top - End - #218

Spectator mode is hugely important when your first big marketing push is a livestreamed million-dollar tournament. DotA2 is being developed by a large team. Spectator mode can easily be developed parallel to gameplay.
    Spectator mode is important, but ensuring balanced and fair gameplay is even more so, and that's where I'd rather they put their resources at the moment (that and developing the promised suite of community tools).

I think the current spectator mode is perfectly adequate for purposes of the tournament; while it could be significantly improved upon, I did not feel my viewing experience was hindered in any way by it.

A team HP bar like HoN would have been nice, but that's the only thing I can really think of.
    Last edited by Tazar; 2011-08-17 at 11:23 AM.
    -Illyria, Angel

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Comparing them, I'd have to say:

HoN's was best around a year ago, and it's worse now. It's still the best, even if it crashes if you try to minimize it.

LoL's is lol-worthy.

DotA 2's main problem is how much screen real estate it takes up. I'm confident that it will be improved, and at least it beats out LoL's.
    trill in da playground

10. - Top - End - #220

Alright, I just got a chance to see some Windrunner gameplay, and I like it!

The model is quite good, and the spell effects are very cool. I didn't get to see her Windrun, but Shackleshot looked nice and Powershot looked awesome. Definitely an enthusiastic two thumbs up from me!

Rylai looked cool as well, though I didn't get to see her spells in action. Chen's model is also quite nice.

A few need work, there's some size issues and VS is just plain bad, but overall I think the hero models are damn nice.
    -Illyria, Angel

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, I just got a chance to see some Windrunner gameplay, and I like it!

The model is quite good, and the spell effects are very cool. I didn't get to see her Windrun, but Shackleshot looked nice and Powershot looked awesome. Definitely an enthusiastic two thumbs up from me!

Rylai looked cool as well, though I didn't get to see her spells in action. Chen's model is also quite nice.

A few need work, there's some size issues and VS is just plain bad, but overall I think the hero models are damn nice.

Rylai looked cool as well,
    Rylai cool
    Oh, I get it.
    trill in da playground

12. - Top - End - #222

Heh, whoops.

I have a bad habit of unintentionally making horrible puns.

So I hear Sniper quotes the TF2 sniper, and that his ult sound is the AWP from Counter-Strike?
    -Illyria, Angel

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, whoops.

I have a bad habit of unintentionally making horrible puns.

So I hear Sniper quotes the TF2 sniper, and that his ult sound is the AWP from Counter-Strike?
    It's true, but they might be placeholders

Edit: Hah, Magebane totally lost that last game.
    Last edited by Inhuman Bot; 2011-08-17 at 01:14 PM.
    trill in da playground

14. - Top - End - #224

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman Bot View Post
    It's true, but they might be placeholders

Edit: Hah, Magebane totally lost that last game.
    AM was fine in that game (I'm assuming you're talking about MYM vs. MUFC). He farmed well and had a decent teamfight presence without giving up kills. The problem was that MUFC lacked any sort of pushing power in their support and gankers, which meant that as the midgame went on and they fell behind by several towers and Rosh kills their support were badly underfarmed while MYM's were quite rich, so MYM was able to quickly melt 3 of MUFC's heroes at the start of every fight while having all their support stay intact.
    Last edited by Suedars; 2011-08-17 at 03:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Valve's claiming that the (rather terrible) UI is an old build, which is stable. They've also said that sound effects, attack animations and so on are going to be worked on.
    trill in da playground

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Valve's claiming that the (rather terrible) UI is an old build, which is stable. They've also said that sound effects, attack animations and so on are going to be worked on.
    I sure hope so. It's kinda distracting hearing the the Unreal Tournament announcer calling out kill streaks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by Keld Denar
    What can I say? When life gives you lemons, you BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH YOUR LAZER BEAMS!
    Avatar by the wonderful A Rainy Knight.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    I sure hope so. It's kinda distracting hearing the the Unreal Tournament announcer calling out kill streaks.
    I agree, but some people find it nostalgic.

Ellen Mclain and Jon St. John are both voiceacting. Maybe they'll do announcer work.

"Comedy" answer: Or they can use that one HoN announcer. If you've played the game, you'll know what I mean.
    trill in da playground

18. - Top - End - #228
    Barbarian in the Playground

Concerning to spectator mode, you have to consider that HoN's is pretty good now yes, but those last few additions were made like a few weeks ago, which is quite a long time after Hon was first released. I'm pretty sure DotA2 can/will do better. As Slaan said it's not even in the beta yet.
    Last edited by Cynan Machae; 2011-08-17 at 07:50 PM.
    Cynan

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cynan Machae View Post
    Concerning to spectator mode, you have to consider that HoN's is pretty good now yes, but those last few additions were made like a few weeks ago, which is quite a long time after Hon was first released. I'm pretty sure DotA2 can/will do better. As Slaan said it's not even in the beta yet.
    Hey, you don't have to get all defensive. I am just pointing out areas that I would like to see improved. I know that they will be improving a ton.

The HUD and Mini Map could use some tweaks. There is a lot of wasted space on the HUD, and I would really like to see character portraits on the map.
    Last edited by Volatar; 2011-08-17 at 09:27 PM.
    My Twitter

20. - Top - End - #230

Good! I'm bummed because my Alleria doesn't have any of the oh-so-delightful sound bytes on ability use that all the other heroes seem to.

If they're going to widely implement heroes saying stuff on skill use (which I think they should) then everybody should get a fair share of the Valve voice acting goodness.
    Last edited by Tazar; 2011-08-17 at 10:03 PM.
    -Illyria, Angel

21. - Top - End - #231

Where did you see that?
    Cynan

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Woah, I just watched GGnet vs nevo.

Spoiler
    Show
    I gotta say, I was surprised by the end. I thought GGnet played a much tighter game. A well farmed AM though...thats something to reckon with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Woah, I just watched GGnet vs nevo.

Spoiler
    Show
    I gotta say, I was surprised by the end. I thought GGnet played a much tighter game. A well farmed AM though...thats something to reckon with.
    Play much DotA? I mean that sincerely, I'm always looking for people to play with and I've played with some people in this tourney, so I'd say I'm fairly qualified to teach.

That goes to anyone wanting some games or pointers.

AM has become the carry of choice because it counters the Dusa and Morph that a lot of top teams were using not too long ago. Spec will see increased play as a good matchup to AM I think. And then Weaver matches up solidly with anything due to sheer difficulty ganking one.

Also, gl to you, Nv.Int and Navi. Especially Fear.

EDIT: I personally feel rylai's model is too large compared to some of the others, they should take some of NS's muscles and give them to Slardar, and larger dots on the map might be cool.
    Last edited by Meta; 2011-08-18 at 02:05 AM.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually like the Quake announcer they had as a placeholder. It's the classic.

25. - Top - End - #235

CM is a little on the big side, true, but I think she still looks good. She could definitely stand to be shrunk a little, though, as Rylai was always one of the smaller heroes.

I really like the Quake announcer too. A whole bunch of people on the PA forums were complaining that it and the "pwned X's head" announcements were "amateurish" or "unprofessional". Clearly, they've never actually played DotA.
    -Illyria, Angel

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    Play much DotA? I mean that sincerely, I'm always looking for people to play with and I've played with some people in this tourney, so I'd say I'm fairly qualified to teach.
    I have. Between BNet and Garena, I've probably played some odd thousand games or so. I'm definitely not PERSONALLY up to the calibre that these players are, but I can recognize a lot of good strategy. GGnet ended up all 3 levels higher than nevo, which I'd attribute to their superior early game team ganks. That said, I only saw that AM make one mistake, about mid game, when he had DD and blunk up the ramp in the middle straight into 3 heros who chain CCed him to death. That was a little reckless, probably brought on by the fact that he had DD. Otherwise, GGnet had FAR superior rune control, more early ganks, and IMO, just altogether better play. Also, it seemed to me like Enigma was fairly useless in that game. I mean, he was essential in a couple of the late game engagements with his ulti, but I felt like he spent too much time in the jungle.

I really hope they fix some animations, as well. Chain Frost looks...dumb to say the least.

Also, anyone hear anything about how they will handle leavers? That was always one of the worst parts of DotA. Some noob gets FBed and ragequits so you have to start the game over after only 10 minutes right when things are getting good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Also, anyone hear anything about how they will handle leavers? That was always one of the worst parts of DotA. Some noob gets FBed and ragequits so you have to start the game over after only 10 minutes right when things are getting good.
    I would assume they would use a similar system as League of Legends. That is, if you leave during champion select, you must wait until you can rejoin the queue (this prevents people from leaving the game if someone picks a "bad" hero or picks a hero that person "has to play"). If you leave during a game, you can't rejoin the queue till that game is over and receive a "leaver" mark if you don't rejoin in a timely manner. People with multiple leaver marks will eventually get temp or even perma banned from the game.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

I remember reading in one of the QAs that Dota 2 will have multiple ways of handling leavers - customisable bots and a 'gap filler' player queue are the two I remember.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

29. - Top - End - #239

Wow, if anybody is Watching Trust VS GG.net, Mith-Trust is playing amazingly.
    And wins. That was amazingly fun to watch.

30. - Top - End - #240

The promised leaver system actually sounds fantastic.

In addition to being able to reconnect, allegedly it will be possible for people to join existing games in progress which have leavers, potentially for "karma points" or whatever system of rewards they adopt.

So if your friend is on and he has a leaver, you can pop in to even up the game instead of making a team play 4v5.

Dunno about you guys, but I think that's pretty awesome.
    -Illyria, Angel