New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: JJJ's Haunting of Harrowstone

Morcaine

"Be on your guard. We are not alone here."

Morcaine draws her sword.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ulric readies his shield and draws his scimitar.

"Trouble ahead, left portal. Can we have some light ?" His calm voice echoes into the darkened room.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-09-22 at 02:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara holds her huge sword in front of her and says, "be on watch for ghosts!" Taking a defensive stance she moves toward the left portal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+4)[10]

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin watches the ritual carefully, attempting to discern the details for future reference and his own edification. He keeps his face impassive and restrains his urge to study the gathered townsfolk. He stands near Kendra, though he is slightly disappointed he was not asked to participate directly.

Spoiler
    Show
    detect magic,
    spellcraft (1d20+4)[8]
    (1d20+4)[16]
    (1d20+4)[19]
    Last edited by stack; 2011-09-22 at 04:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briar

The gnome peers about, her large eyes wide. "Physical violence is not my speciality, nor is the destruction of spectres." She is babbling slightly.

Ulric's words bring her back to reality. "Light. Yes, rational. Light."

She pulls a small, golden stick from her belt pouches, snapping it open with her thumb. It immediately emits a golden light.

Spoiler
    Show
    Briar will use one of her sunrods.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hissing out a challenge a giant bug, not unlike a centipede, moves into the light of your sunrod. It’s down carapace is interrupted by twin streaks of black housing a much brighter orange streak in the middle. It is soon followed by another of its kind, the one you caught a glimpse of earlier.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll initiative. Knowledge: Nature check to discern what these things are. No surprise round for them since you managed to catch the first one moving.

You can tell that a burst of holy magic radiated out from Grimburrow and took residence in the inner-most circle, but name and purpose of the spell eludes you. The acolytes cast a burst of positive energy, not much more powerful than yours you note, and a protection from evil spell respectively, focused on the statue.

The three then join hands and begin muttering a spell. Due to your enhanced sight, you can tell something strange is going on as their glow intensifies as the last spell is cast. That done, the trio collapse, their magic auras dimming out completely as their work is done and instead takes residence within the statue.

Benjan leaves his tiny picket line to check on them. Once again the buzzing comes, this time it is closer, and other people seem to notice it too, including Kendra.

Spoiler
    Show
    One more Spellcraft check with a +4 bonus and you might just have this thing cracked. Also, I need another perception check.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    spellcraft (1d20+8)[10]
    perception (1d20)[8] (I think that was directed at the others, but it never hurts)
    Heal to check the three (1d20+4)[21]

Augustin is somewhat alarms by the trios collapse. He rushed forward from Kendra to check on them, ready to apply any healing necessary. His face shows both concern and confusing, perhaps tinged with frustration that he was not warned about any part of the ritual. "What is that buzzing? Kendra, can you try to identify it while I make sure they are unharmed?"
    Last edited by stack; 2011-09-23 at 10:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine shrieks in terror as the creatures are revealed.

"Bug! BUG!! Kill it! Kill it killit KILLIT!!!"

It's almost amusing to see this determined inquisitor melt into a screaming little girl at the sight of a large insect.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morcaine's Initiative: (1d20)[19]
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-09-23 at 04:34 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

9. - Top - End - #279

Ulric does not waste any breath commenting the monster's approach. Taking a seasoned warrior's stance, he faces the monster's onslaught, trying to strike first.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[6]

10. - Top - End - #280
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kaythek leaned close to one of the gargoyles, checking the craftsmanship of the statue, when Morcaine screamed. Finally, some action, thought Kaythek, a grin appearring on his face. "FOR GORUM!!!" yelled Kaythek as he went up to the beast and brought his falchion in an overhead arc onto the monster.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20+4)[12]
    Move Action: Move up to the monster
    Standard Action: Attack the monster for (1d20+3)[12]
    If it hits, (2d4+3)[6]
    Knowledge Nature: (1d20+2)[8]
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

11. - Top - End - #281

Briar

"Fascinating!" the gnome cries out at the bugs advance. "Tomb is evidently structurally unsound to invite habitation by such sizeable insects." She pauses, pulling a cartridge from her coat and stuffing it into a red vial. It immediately begins to spark, and she throws it towards the second bug. "Explosion should be small enough that structural integrity is not diminished. Significantly."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (nature): (1d20+8)[26]
    Bomb touch attack vs. the centipede not yet in melee: (1d20+5)[7]
    Bomb damage: (1d6+5)[8]

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nobody sees them until it's too late as two... things... rise from their hovering spot near the water of the river. With hunger in their multifaceted eyes, their four wings propel them quickly towards you and Benjan. The first slips around the sheriff's guard and jabs him with the needle-like protrusion on it's head. It's partner, however makes a beeline strait for Augustin. Meanwhile, in the crowd, Kendra is powerless to help as she is jostled in the sudden panic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Though he tries, Augustin just can't decipher the ritual. He might have to ask Father Grimburrow for the details later. As far as the the condition of the good father and his helpers, they are stable, but their condition is reminiscent of those who have had their personal essence drained. The Lady exacts a high price for those that would call on her help in such a way.

Arcana check to determine what these things are. This is the surprise round, but Augustin can make a AoO before the thing tries to attach to him. Afterwards initiative as normal.

Spoiler
    Show
    The party wins initiative, so Ulric, Tamara, and Morcaine can take their actions. I've changed the map to illustrate Briar and Kaythek's actions so far.

Leviathan: Your result is enough to learn everything you might ever want to know about these giant centipedes.

Kaythek's assault hits true, but bounces off the creature's carapace. Briar doesn't have much more luck as her bomb impacts the portal next to it.

13. - Top - End - #283

As he steps forward, Ulric suddenly pushes his spiked shield into the monster's flank, trying as he hits it to create an opening for the sweeping scimitar sweep that follows.

Spoiler
    Show
    - 5-foot step one square forward.
    - Spiked shield bask (1d20+2)[3] damage (1d4+1)[4] and if critical, confirm (1d20+2)[11] with extra damage (1d4+1)[4]
    - Scimitar strike (1d20+2)[8] damage (1d6+3)[9] and if critical, confirm (1d20+2)[17] with etra damage (1d6+3)[8]

Well, I suppose that I will impress the world another day.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-09-27 at 08:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

AOO
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack (1d20+2)[9](11)
    damage [roll]1d8+2[roll]

AC 20, HP 11

know arcana (1d20)[4] untrained
    initiative (1d20+4)[5]

Augustin quickly brings his morningstar to bear, trying to swat the creature with its spiked head. As he follows through, he yells to the others. "Get that off of him! I will deal with this one."

Foul creatures, attacking now, when I am needed. Lady please do not let me fail these people as well.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine looks giddy with fear as she rushes towards the nearest centipede and starts swinging her sword wildly at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morcaine moves one square diagonally towards the monster by Kaythek and Ulric, and attacks with her bastard sword: (1d20+2)[10]

If the attack hits, it deals (1d10+3)[9] damage.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara grins wide as she sees the huge vermin through the portal - no ghosts, but this should do. For an instant she moves to charge the beast, but the emergence of the other sparks a sudden change in her trajectory. The ecstasy of combat flows over her - she hopes these opponents will be fun! Turning on a dime she charges past Morcaine, for the first time her companions witness her prowess with her enormous blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Enter Rage, move two squares to the right, one up, attack centipede.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[20]
    Damage: (1d10+6)[7] Edit: Hooray for minimum damage...

Rage 4/5
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-09-27 at 04:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Try as he might, Benjan can't get the little beast off of him off of him. No help is coming either as the jostling group of people make it impossible for the other deputies to get away at this time. Even Kendra, who tries to help with a spell, can't manage to complete it before one rough body or another interrupts her spell.

You have your own problems however. Your attack misses it's mark and the beast plunges it's proboscis into your flesh. Luckily for you, in it's eagerness to suck your blood, it loses it's grip and falls to the ground, it's wings pinned beneath it.

Spoiler
    Show

You're check reveals that Augustin knows nothing about these things. You've taken one point of constitution damage from the thing's initial attack. It critically fails as it tries to maintain it's hold on you and falls to your feet, helpless. Benjan has taken 2 points of constitution drain so far. Your turn.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

The centipede at the forefront of the attentions of Ulric and Morcaine seems to whether the assault quite well until Tamara skewers the insect on her sword with a spray of foul fluids. In response it simply curls in on itself, twitching.

Now free of any defenders, the other centipede focuses on Briar. It doesn't have much luck as well as it misses the diminutive doctor with a venomous bite.

Spoiler
    Show

Kaythek, Morcaine, Tamara: You hear the tapping of multiple legs nearby. These two centipedes might not be alone.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    if I understand correctly, losing the point of CON (14 to 13) reduces my CON bonus, so therefor reduces my HP. i took away the 1 HP per HD on my sheet accordingly.

Augustin shakes off the momentary dizziness brought on by the strange creature's bite, then raises his weapon and attempts to splatter it across the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack (1d20+2)[7](9)
    damage (1d8+2)[9]

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"YES!!!" Tamara shouts as a smattering of bug goo coats her head to toe. She pauses just an instant to hear the scuttling and says (disturbingly, without an ounce of sarcasm in her voice), "great news! I think I hear some more!!!" Without waiting for a reply she steps over a few feet and swings her blade down hard at the centipede, attempting to rend it in twain.

Spoiler
    Show
    5ft step left, attack

Attack: (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage: (1d10+6)[8]

Rage: 3/5

21. - Top - End - #291
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kayhtek, looking at Tamara as the halfling withdraws her sword, throwing a smile at her before turning and letting a primal roar out as he charges between Morcaine and Ulric at the remaining bug, bring his falchion around and down on the bug.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard Action: Attack the monster for (1d20+5)[6]
    If it hits, (2d4+3)[5]
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

22. - Top - End - #292

Ulric

"More coming, got that. I'll guard this door, you finish the other one."

Ulric moves up to the right by the door and prepares to batter back any incoming monsters.

Spoiler
    Show
    - 5-foot step diagonally one square forward and to the right by the door.
    - Ready action to strike any approaching centipede.
    - Scimitar strike (1d20+4)[18] damage (1d6+3)[4] and if critical, confirm (1d20+4)[20] with extra damage (1d6+3)[8]

23. - Top - End - #293

Briar

Dr. Zendlebiddle grimaces, her face a mask of concentration as she steps backwards, away from the centipede, priming an elixer from her belt for consumption.

"Centipedes, arthropoda of the subphylum myriapoda!" she shouts as she hurls her explosive towards the creature. "Nomenclature somewhat irrelevant, however: bodily structure is such that sufficient physical trauma will result in death!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot step backwards and using my true strike extract.
    Bomb touch attack: (1d20+5)[18]
    Bomb damage: (1d6+5)[10]
    I've left the bomb rolls in for clarity, but I've edited my post since I've realized that a bunch of melee-ers have closed with my target, and exploding them is maybe not optimal.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-09-27 at 09:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

Augustin does make his bat-winged bug go splat, and gets the satisfaction of feeling his own blood spray back at him from it's ruptured belly. Meanwhile, Benjan has finally torn the other from him and tossed it away. This one doesn't drop to the ground like the other, but hovers with a hungry look. Meanwhile Kendra finally does get a spell off as a small ball of acid shoots from her hand to strike the monster dead on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stack: You've got it right. I'll need a sense motive check from you.

Once more, the halfling dynamo impales a centipede on her sword to get coated in another gout of gore. Near the other door Ulric's readiness is rewarded as he nearly bisects a centipede that tries to sneak up on him by crawling along the wall the portal is framed in. As it's companion falls another centipede takes it's place and lashes out with it's fangs.

Spoiler
    Show

Centipede #4
    Attacking Ulric (1d20+2)[19]
    Damage (1d6-1)[0]
    Poison save: DC 13 Fortitude if a hit

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara giggles with joy as the second centipede explodes under her onslaught. She dashes through the open portal and runs at the next arthropod. Seeing its position on the doorway, the halfling lines up her blade and spins quickly, ending in a powerful swing which attempts to split its back-half longways. The powerful blow emits a loud metal on stone clanging noise and is more than enough to crumble the mortar near where it stood.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move into other room and next to centipede, square left of door at base of stairs (if there is something in the room which would make her change her attention, let me know)

Attack: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d10+6)[11]

Rage 2/5
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-09-28 at 03:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    sense motive (1d20+4)[6]

Augustin briefly wipes his face with his arm, though the chain makes for a poor rag. He raises his morningstar high as he steps around the sheriff to try to swat the remaining creature. At least it is not zombies. "Good Kendra! another, if you please."

Spoiler
    Show
    move adjacent to the river, attacking the remaining critter and trying not to block Kendra's line of effect
    attack (1d20+2)[1](3)
    damage (1d8+2)[7]

I believe they are stirges, but will not act on OOC knowledge.
    Keeping up two battle maps must be a pain, eh?

27. - Top - End - #297

Briar

The gnome, her aim enhanced by her potion, places another bomb in the palm of her hand. Her gaze fixed on the remaining vermin, she lobs it over the insect's body so that it will fall away from her companions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bomb, aiming at the corner square behind the centipede so as to not hit anyone.
    Attack roll (with true strike): (1d20+25)[40]
    Damage: 5 splash damage.

28. - Top - End - #298

Ulric doesn't flinch as the poisoned fang pokes him. He attempts to finish off the beast with his scimitar, following up with a blow from his shield.

Spoiler
    Show

I think I take minimum 1 damage even if the monster has a damage penalty. So, there is a saving throw.
    - Save vs poison, Fort (1d20+3)[14]
    - Scimitar strike (1d20+2)[21] damage (1d6+3)[9] and if critical (EDIT: Yes!), confirm (1d20+2)[16] with extra damage (1d6+3)[4]
    - Spiked shield bash (1d20+2)[3] damage (1d4+1)[2] and if critical, confirm (1d20+2)[17] with extra damage (1d4+1)[4]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-09-29 at 05:58 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

After a moment's hesitation on the creature's part, it flies strait for Benjan again, still yearning for the sheriff's blood. It is met, however, by the sheriff's sword. It doesn't even have time to contemplate it's death as the sword rends it in twain.

Looking a bit pale, Benjan sits down for a moment while the crowd finally starts to come to some order. When she can, Kendra rushes out to check on you both.

"I... I hardly believe I just saw that... Are you both alright?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since the party is split and I still everyone to level evenly, I'll be doing group XP, so everyone can benefit from Augustin's solo adventure. You didn't learn the ritual, but you all did earn 67 XP and gained 1 point of trust, bringing your total to 26. This means you have also earned the next level of the trust scale. So another 67 XP, a +2 on diplomacy checks, and the locals will actually treat you with some respect.

Perhaps it's a shade of Ulric's former power, but he manages to shake off the poison without incident. For it's luck the centipede suffers greatly as it is obliterated by an all out assault. With it's death the crypt is completely silent, seemingly inviting you to partake of it's secrets now that you have passed it's test. Luckily the trail of the professor still exists as well and is easy enough to find to guide you.

The only thing to break this moment of victory is Celeste's tiny voice from outside the tomb asking, "Is it safe to come in now?"

Spoiler
    Show
    134 XP gained for killing the centipedes.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin lowers his weapon and pokes at the bisected creature with his toe. "I am to assume that these are not common here, then? The timing of their attack is suspicious. Father Grimburrow and the acolytes would have been in grave peril without your help." He claps the sheriff on the back, gently, and smiles at Kendra.

Still feeling unsteady, he calls to no one in particular. "Help me get them inside, someplace they can rest and recover." He turns to the sheriff again. "I think perhaps we both would benefit from some rest, as well. I feel a bit shaky myself." I hope the others are fairing well at the crypt. Should see these men safe before joining them.

He walks over to again check on the priest, stopping briefly to inspect the monument, though he waits for assistance to try to move them.

Spoiler
    Show
    detect magic on the monument
    spellcraft to see anything he can see (1d20+4)[9]
    double check the collapsed priest and acolytes heal (1d20+4)[19], taking ten if possible.

Augustin will see the men settled into a safe location and make sure they are cared for, then come with Kendra to the crypt, unless something comes up.