New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: JJJ's Haunting of Harrowstone

Morcaine

"Agreed. The sooner we leave all this talk of insects behind, the better."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Yeah, me too, Briar! Let's hurry before they clean them up!" Without further warning, Tamara sprints out the crypt and heads for the monument.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine rolls her eyes.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briar

Noting Morcaine's eye-roll, Briar turns on the inquisitor snappishly. "Are your ocular nerves functioning properly, Morcaine? I ask out of concern for your health, as there is no cause for such activity. Enthusiasm for wanton violence is raised to high veneration by Knights of Ozem, so impugning Tamara's hardly seemly likely. And furthermore," she adds, her face red and pinched, "your fear of insects is thoroughly irrational: unlike a multitude of creatures, they have absolutely no motives to do anything beyond use you as sustenance, while a plethora of beings have verifiable and terrifying aims far more sensible to be feared!"

She then turns on her heels and stalks off after the halfling with a huff.
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin pauses at the outburst, then waits for Kaythek to chime in.

"I suppose I should accompany them, at least for a few minutes, just to humor them. I will meet you all back at the estate. I think I can find my way."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

She then turns on her heels and stalks off after the halfling with a huff.[/QUOTE]

"Hold it right there!" she barks after Briar.

"First of all, wanton violence is NOT my purpose as a Knight of Ozem. We are servants of the Inheritor, wardens of Gallowspire and the defenders of Lastwall's and Ustalav's people. Our violence comes with a purpose behind it. Wanton violence is Gorum's purview, something Kaythek likely knows well. And as for my fears, remember you're speaking to someone whose own mother, a foul and deceitful monster, renounced and swore revenge against before dissolving into a horde of spiders while being burned at the stake. For all I know, she's still out there, seeing through the eyes of any creepy crawly, waiting for the right moment to get revenge on the daughter that refused her birthright and betrayed her to the churches. Think carefully before you condescend to someone, Doctor. Not everyone can afford to view the world with manic curiosity."
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-10-12 at 02:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337

Briar returns Morcaine's eye-roll, turning back towards the inquisitor. She starts to speak very quickly.

"Neither natural nor moral philosophy the purview of warriors, so simplification will occur, but point will remain intact. Knights of Ozem operate with same purpose as servants of Gorum, or else are heretical. Namely, both act in accordance with the maxim 'obey the dictates of one's deity.' Differences in actions do not follow from different purpose, but only from the happenstance of deific command. Which is to say, Iomedae commands that you do not kill anyone you please, but She might have, and, if she had, a true believer would take that command as just as moral as her currently-presiding command to not kill anyone you please. The maxim, and thus the purpose, is the same. Only difference is Gorum's violence is deemed purposeless by uncritical servants of Iomedae."

"And as for personal trauma, irrational to translate into fear of insects. Fear of hags would be rational - would express cause of frightening situation. Your fear is akin to fearing roads because a horse trampled you on one in the past."

She turns once again and leaves, a smug look on her face. Inspecting dead creatures more interesting than pointless debate. Reminds me of undergraduates.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin keeps his distance, not wanting to become embroiled in the argument. He scowls at Briar's dismissal of deific differences. One as knowledgeable as her ought to know better. All that knowledge and so lacking in wisdom.

He is unable to restrain himself. "The gods have a strong hand in this world, for good and ill alike. Setting them all as being of equal worth is...wrong, twisted. If nothing matters, if all are equal, then we may well let the Rough Beast free and end it all. People matter. We serve the gods who are right, they are not right because they are gods. Power alone does not make right."

9. - Top - End - #339
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ulric's face, as far as one can see from the visible half of it, registers astonishment at Morcaine's and Briar's sudden dispute.

"Er... Friends... Ladies... I hope you won't mind me saying so... As a soldier, I'd rather let such fascinating debates rest until we can gather around a warm chimney fire, preferably with a beer in hand."

He puts an arm at Augustin's back, gesturing towards Morcaine with the other.

"Let's go. The night is falling, we are all tired."

O Sarenrae, please do not let my old and new friends fall into dissension.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-10-12 at 04:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing Ulric's common sense, Augustin chides himself. "Of course. Let us go at once, to come to that beer the sooner."

11. - Top - End - #341
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kaythek nodded to Augustin when the Oracle offered his view on the items, taking a step back. Intriguing, Kaythek thought to himself. Alot of them items are in a ranged nature. Not exactly useful in a closequaters fight, but they'll do at range. Especially after the fight.

"In additionto that, we have three potions of lesser healing (potions of curelight wounds), as well as ten magic arrows. The scroll of hiding and the scroll of protection might be ok, but I don't see what the church would put so few weapons down here." Kaythek spits off to the side. It's like thechurch doesn't realize that range combat can only do so much before you need to take the fight to the enemy, especially an undead one.

Hearing the theological debate between Briar and Morcaine, Kaythek let's out a laugh at the two. You two have your debate at another time. Kaythek says, motioning to the entry way. As for comparing the Lord in Iron to the Crusader, let's just the differences are mostly ideological. But that's a discussion at later time."

Once reaching the outside, Kaythek stretches his arms out in the waning sun, roling his neck to the sides in an attempt to massage the muscles. After feeling the tension go, Kaythek looks to the others, then at Morcaine. "Tonight Gibs is in the jail, under observation. Unless I was mistaken, Morcaine, you wanted to go keep an eye on him, see if he becomes possessed. If you want, I can accompany you, if you wish."
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"I'd like that, Kaythek. Thank you."

13. - Top - End - #343
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Leviathan: from the description, the creature is most definately a stirge.

As you exit the crypt, the light of the rising moon is the only thing to greet you. The Moonscar is particularly visible, marring the moon's perfect white radiance. Under the eerie light the tombstones seem only half real, but any who stray from the path would find them to be very real and very hard.

Using the moonlight most of you manage to pick your way down the path. Then there's a noise. It's the sound of dirt moving. A great deal of dirt moving...

Spoiler
    Show

Surprise round. Dim lighting, so 20% concealment for enemies unless a character possesses darkvision. Tamara and Ulric are the only two to notice the rising enemies in time to catch them before they finish freeing themselves. Next round starts normally with initiative.

I hope the placement of everyone is clear enough. Also coordinates have been added as requested.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin, eyes unhindered by the dark, sees several of the creatures as they finish emerging. He chokes back the terror clawing it's way up his throat and calls out: "Surely the are undead. To me! They will not stand against the power of the Lady of Graves."

Leaving his weapon at his side, he raises his hand, clutching the holy symbol on the chain around his neck. "Pharasma's protection on us from these abominations."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+4)[19]

bless, all allies within 50' get +1 attack, +1 saves vs fear for 1 minute. He will wait for the casting until Tamara and Briar are in range, if possible.

Knowledge religion to identify undead (1d20+4)[7]

Now this is a fight Augustin will be useful in, even if he never draws his weapon. He will wait to try turning them until it would generate AOO's, unless they are ghouls or some other nasty undead. Zombies and skeletons can get close first so we don't have to chase them down.
    Last edited by stack; 2011-10-14 at 07:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #345

Any amiable chatting along the path is suddenly interrupted when Ulric feels something abnormal in the evening air.

"Stop. We're under attack. Rising from the graves."

Instantly, the veteran soldier switches to combat mode. As he spots something moving through the earth next to him, he takes a step and brings his spiked shield down on the thing with all his weight, in a attempt to push it back into the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    IIRC, I can only take a standard action or a move action, so there's no time to draw the scimitar and attack. But a 5-foot step is possible (I think).

So, 5-foot step to S9, and shield bash attack on creature in R8:
    20% miss chance (must roll 21 or more) (1d100)[76]
    Attack (1d20+4)[16]
    Damage (1d4+2)[5] (off-hand, includes +1 from Subject of study trait under the pretty reasonable assumption that these are undead)

Next round, initiative: (1d20+2)[7]

Current HP 12/13, AC 17, CMD 15, Fort +3, Refl +2, Will +0
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-10-14 at 07:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346

Briar

The gnome lets out a small squeak of surprise and alarm as she hears her companions shouting of an undead attack. "Undead! Fortunately, explosions solve a multitude of problems!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Briar will throw a bomb at C13.

Touch attack: (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage:(1d6+5)[6]

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Upon hearing the call to action, Morcaine's pained expression steels to one of confidence and pride.

"Now THIS is a foe I do not fear!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20)[3]

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

After seeing Briar's quick reaction followed by an explosion, Tamara grins at her before sprinting the other way. She draws her weapon and simply stands over the point where the creature is emerging. Most would view this as poor tactics on the part of the halfling, but she is simply trying to get a better look.

Spoiler
    Show
    Draw weapon and move to C8
    Perception: (1d20+4)[19]

19. - Top - End - #349

Upon hearing the others call out the attacking undead, Kaythek draws his falchion as he scans for the enemies.

""RIGHT SIDE, TWO OF THEM ARE RISING," yells Kaythek, keeping his head on a swivel in order to gauge the enmies near locations.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative (1d20+4)[6]
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

20. - Top - End - #350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Party wins initiative by a margin of .1 on average initiative. The undead almost had you guys there. With Ulric and Tamara's actions resolved, the first round starts now. I've already resolved Briar's, Kendra's, Hadrin's and Celeste's actions so far, so now I'll need the actions of Tamara, Ulric, Augustin, Morcaine and Kaythek.

Thanks to his quick thinking, Ulric shatters one of the undead before it finishes exhuming itself from the ground. The rest do and quickly hollow out as decayed bits of wood, clothing, and flesh drop from them. Sensing the living about them, these skeletal abominations claw at them while they get their bearings.

Following in Ulric's success, Briar's launched bomb flied true and detonates in a showed of earth and once animate bone. Kendra isn't so lucky as the darkness causes her acidic attack to veer off course and splash uselessly next the the skeleton south of her. Hadrin, for his part, readies a spell as well, but does nothing else. Celeste, however, simply freezes, too terrified to move or defend herself.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

(Augustin casts bless, as above, since the other two aren't moving to the group.)

22. - Top - End - #352

Ulric's uncannily calm voice is not particularly loud, but carries over the whole cemetery-turned-battlefield with great clarity.

"Briar, Tamara, you hold your ground until we can help. Try not to get surrounded. Kaythek, Morcaine, the right flank is yours."

Drawing his scimitar with one hand while shaking gory bone shards off his shield with the other, he addresses Kendra, Augustin and the two acolytes as he positions himself between them and the undead: "Stay put. We have you covered."

He swiftly hacks at the approaching monstrosity.

"Some light would help."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy roll to comfort Celeste (possibly Hadrin too) : (1d20+7)[15]
    Move to T9 U9 while drawing scimitar.
    Scimitar strike at undead in V8:
    20% miss chance (must roll 21 or more) (1d100)[52]
    Attack (1d20+5)[19] including +1 from bless
    Damage (1d6+4)[9] including +1 from Subject of study trait

In the event of a critical threat (18-20)
    Confirm (1d20+5)[9]
    Extra damage (1d6+4)[6]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-10-15 at 09:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine advances to the nearest undead with sword in hand.

"RIGHT MAKES MIGHT!" she cries as she brings it down upon the horrific mockery of life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morcaine advances to S13 and attacks the enemy on S14 with her bastard sword.

(1d20+2)[8]
    (1d10+3)[8]

24. - Top - End - #354

(OOC: I think you meant S14, Morcaine. U13 is right next to me.)

Kaythek looks over at Celeste, then taking a step forward and as he draws his falchion, letting loose a proclamation. "GODS OF WAR, JUDGE ME!!!" Kaythek then brings the falchion down on the undead in an overhead chop.

Spoiler
    Show

MOVE: Draw Falchion and move to the undead at U13 (I'm at U12).
    STANDARD ACTION: Attack with falchion (1d20+3)[13]. If it hits, I'll deal (2d4+3)[10] damage. If it crit threats (17-20), (1d20+3)[16] to confirm and add (2d4+3)[10] to damage

Favorite Merc Maxims

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Whoa! Moving skeletons!" Tamara proclaims loudly and excitedly as the shambling bones rise before her. I wonder what holds them together? Briar might know! "Hey, Briar," Tamara asks calmly as she swings her enormous sword at the skeleton, "what holds the bones together?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+4)[23] EDIT: Threat, no crit
    Damage: (1d10+3)[11]
    Concealment (need>20): (1d100)[45]
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-10-15 at 08:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"NECROMANTIC ENERGY!" Morcaine calls over.

27. - Top - End - #357

Briar

"For once," the gnome shouts, "concurrence with the inquisitor. Not held together by any natural process or mechanism. Except," she adds, "insofar as magic may be considered natural."

28. - Top - End - #358
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Turn 2 of normal combat starts now. Celeste's light removes the concealment except for the enemies near Tamara, Morcaine, and Briar. Morcaine, however, is unaffected thanks to her dark vision. Kaythek and Ulric take 3 points of damage from claw attacks

Ulric and Tamara's blows land true, dropping two more of the risen. Despite their luck, both have to note that they hewing through bone is a lot more difficult than living flesh. Kaythek and Morcaine aren't so lucky, however. The undead they face nimbly duck and dodge their attacks.

Now free to act, the undead give off a unanimous rattling hiss and move to swarm the living. The armor of Tamara and Morcaine barely stave off the claws of their aggressors, but Ulric and Kaythek both suffer a wound as bone finds tender flesh. In the midst of all this though, Ulric's confidence and Augustin's spell manage to reach through Celeste's terror. Bravely as she can, the girl reaches for her spell pouch and prepares a light spell, which she casts upon her holy symbol, holding it aloft to bathe the area in it's radiance.

29. - Top - End - #359

"Blessed be Pharasma's light... and may the Everlight come to me, too."

Facing three enemies, Ulric lashes out with his scimitar to the right and his shield to the left, hoping that a single blow might again be enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Scimitar strike at undead in T8:
    Attack (1d20+3)[6] including +1 from bless
    Damage (1d6+4)[8] including +1 from Subject of study trait

In the event of a critical threat (18-20)
    Confirm (1d20+3)[16]
    Extra damage (1d6+4)[10]

Shield bash at undead in U8:
    Attack (1d20+3)[8] including +1 from bless
    Damage (1d4+2)[4] including +1 from Subject of study trait

If the undead in T8 drops, Ulric will make a 5-foot step to T9, otherwise he will stay in place.

Current HP 9/13, AC 17, CMD 15, Fort +3, Refl +2, Will +0

Does Ulric notice that the shield bash does more damage than the scimitar ?
    (I mean in the last round - in the present round he is unlikely to motice anything...)
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-10-18 at 08:06 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin raises his holy symbol again, shouting, "Foul abominations, your evil will be purged and your bodies returned to rest!" His face is taught with fear and anger. Light streams from the spiral in his hand, bathing the area all around and scorching rotting flesh and bone.

Spoiler
    Show
    channel positive energy to harm undead, 30' burst (1d6)[2]