New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: JJJ's Haunting of Harrowstone

Sheriff Benjan nods at Augustin's word of caution. "Riff, Vrodish, you stay here, make sure all flames are out for good. The rest, we go out and look for that skull. If you see it, don't try to fight it, just raise the alarm and you'll have help soon enough."

Hadrin asks for Augustin's help with a few wounded people, especially one unconscious farmer that had to be carried out. "You see, we all used up most of our power during our day reconsecrating the Restlands."

As they get out in the town square, the firefighters meet what appears to be most of the Ravengro people. Those who escaped the building are joined by other villagers having come to the rescue at the sound of the tocsin. Everyone talks excitedly, exchanging as much rumor as information about the awful events of the night, in exclamations of horror mixed with awe. An exhausted, very old-looking Father Grimburrow, still in a night gown, comes to the scene, asking his acolytes for news.

A few minutes later, the sheriff and those who joined him in the search for the monstrous creature come back empty-handed. For whatever reason, the flying skull is gone.

All council members gather around the heroes of the night, and Councillor Hearthmount speaks. "Our gratitude for your actions tonight is greater than I could express. The people of Ravengro will remember the deeds of those kind strangers who came to our help in our time of need."

He turns to the sheriff and his aides, then to Grimburrow. "Thank you, sheriff. Our trust in you and your men was well placed. And Father, let it be known that the blessing of Pharasma was with us tonight, in the persons of your acolytes."

Facing Morcaine, he adds: "I will admit that your story seemed of dubious value to me, Knight of Ozem. But after what happened, there is no denying something terrible is at hand in Ravengro. We will all need a good night's rest, and then, tomorrow at the first hour, the council will gather to discuss what is to be done. Father, Sheriff, please be in attendance too. Miss Lorrimor, once the council is over, I think we will want to talk to you and your father's friends, if that can be arranged."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2012-01-30 at 08:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you for you words, coucilman. Now, if there is nothing else, I will check over the wounded again before turning in. We have had a long day and I see more ahead. My strength is spent, I will be of little use to anyone until I have prayed and rested."

3. - Top - End - #543
    Barbarian in the Playground

As the last of the fire was smothered, Kaythek takes his falchion in both hands and holding it so the blade was to the sky. Gods of Battle, Goddesses of War, thank you for your guidance and assitance. Gorum, Lord in Iron, thank you for blessing us. May our challenges bring glory to you and the others.

Hearing the others move out of the town hall, Kaythek followed them. We were lucky, and blessed, Kaythek thought as Augustin, Morcaine, and Doc talked about what is happening. After they finished, Kaythek thought about it. "If they refuse to fight or flee, then they're destined to die," Kaythek mutters under his breath. "Believe me, Doc, when I say that the Lord in Iron will bless these weapons. But as the Mentor says, we shouldn't go in half blind. We'll need to know more about those inmates as well as who was there at Harrowstone when it burned."

As the group breached the cool night air, Kaythek takes in a deep breath. Lady of the Stars, though I can not see them, may you bless our dreams tonight, so that we may face our enemies with clear minds tomorrow.

Seeing the councilmembers approach and encircle the group, Kaythek takes a step back, allowing the more human members to talk to the councilors as he leans against the wall, his arms crossed. Hearing the overweight councilor voice his doubtful oppinion of Morcaine's story, Kaythek passive features turn grim, breathing getting deeper. Why that over grown, inconsiderate... were the words flowing through Kaythek's mind as Augustin diplomatically excused himself to help others.

"Of 'dubious value,' councilor? Dubious value?" Kayhek says with a sneer, his eyes turning dark as he feels his blood starting to boil. "First, the death of the Mentor happened under what you would call 'unfortunate circumstances', then the desecration of the Memorial yesterday and possession of one of your citizens. Now, we have flaming skulls and laterns that burst into flames. Oh, and the rising dead from the town cemetery," Kaythek says, letting the words sink in for a moment before continuing. "And you had placed 'dubious value' on what my comrades and myself are doing to help protect you?" Kaythek turns to his left and spits at the ground. "The only reason you and your fellow villagers aren't running in fear is that the Sherrif, his deputies, and the Acolytes of the Lady, like Celeste and Hadrin, were here."

Turning to the Sheriff and the others who stayed behind to fight the fire, Kaythek gestures to them as he goes back to ripping into the Councilor. "These people are worthy of blessing by the Gods and Godesses tonight because they choose to fight. How many people would have died if they didn't act? Would the Townhall even be standing?" Bringing his arm back to his side, Kaythek brought his hand up to gesture at the Councilor, fingers and thumb pointing straight at the Hearthmount. "So be mindful of what they and my comrades are doing, Councilor, for if we fail, you will wish for the Goddess to give a quick death, for the floodgates are cracking against the undead."

Turning on the spot, Kaythek leaves the group and follows Augustin. "Gorum's blessing upon us, Augustin, I'm ready to help. You lead the way, and I'll follow," Kaythek says to the other Oracle.
    Last edited by Sarone; 2012-01-28 at 02:11 AM.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin smiles. "The blind leading the blind? Sounds like a proverb I once heard. And I believe the coucilman expressed that he no longer doubts our story, the evidence evident, one might say."

5. - Top - End - #545

"It's the fact he had placed 'dubious value' in the first place is what had bothered me," Kaythek says as the two made their way to the injured. "That, and the fact a wound like Harrowstone was left to fester. But then, it sounds like the rest of Ustalav is like that."

Looking around, Kaythek smiled at Augustin's statement aabout the blind. "Aye, that maybe true, Augustin, but the blind can have a better vision than those that aren't."
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll remember that next time I get lost." He turns serious. "And Ustalav will ever be thus while the Gallospire stands. The evil sealed there poisons the land. Sometimes I wonder that men live here at all."

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine joins the two of them.

"Indeed, Augustin. The whole of Ustalav suffers between various evils. Belkzen to the West, no offense Kaythek, the bandits of the so-called "River Kingdoms" to the East, The Worldwound to the North and Gallowspire to the South. The Knights of Ozem would act more decisively here were we not so occupied fending off the orcs ourselves. Every day in these lands it seems we fight a losing battle against the hungry forces of anarchy and darkness."
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2012-01-28 at 03:13 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

8. - Top - End - #548

Open-mouthed and reeling under Kaythek's outburst, Councillor Hearthmount remains unable to find a suitable answer to the half-orc's angry lecture until well after he has turned on his heel. As they go, Kendra comes to the furious oracle's side. "That was a little harsh, Kaythek. I know Vashian can be a little full of his own importance at times, but he isn't a bad man. And he had admitted that he was wrong already... Oh well. At least we can be sure they'll listen now."

As Augustin and the others move about the crowd, they find the wounded - surprisingly few people, considering the extreme danger the meeting attendees were in just a few minutes ago. Augustin is able to revive the downed person, a farmer by the name of Henvla Orrinhar. For his efforts, he gets an uncomprehending look from the dazed man, who obviously doesn't understand yet how it is he is still alive, and not even in pain, at that. His wife's profuse thanks more than make up for him, however.

Going along, Ulric answers to Morcaine, in a rueful tone. "Aye, there's more than a few in Ustalav who're still brave enough to battle the orcs, and the worse things, too. Only too often, evil proves stronger. Not tonight though, and for that we ought to be grateful."

He pauses. "I, for one, am grateful to Sarenrae. Grateful for her light, but first, grateful that all of you were with me in that hall."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2012-01-30 at 08:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #549

Eyebrow raised, Kaythek looks at Morcaine when she states they were fighting against anarchy and darkness. "No offense is taken, Morcaine, for the only ties between me and the Clans is my blood and that's weak at best. And while that might be true about 'anarchy and darkness'," Kaythek says as he assists Augustin with helping the few wounded, "that isn't the only enemy. From anarchy, you're talking about fighting the spirit within each of us, and the choices we make. It's not the laws, or the culture, or the 'proud history' that makes a civilization. It's the people and it's choices and what are the consequences of those choices. And frankly, it's not anarchy or darkness that we are fighting, but stupidity." Looking back at the Councilors, especially Councilor Hearthmount, Kayhek continues. "And when the only options they were enteraining was to either hide or form a peasent mob, that can only be called desperation and stupidity."

As Kendra gave a good verbal beating to Kaythek, the Half-orc scratches the back of his head and gives a sheepish grin. "What can I say, Kendra, he was ignoring the evidence out of hand until fate forced him to see." Before Kendra could respond, Kaythek held his hand up. "And before you say anything, no, I will not apologize to him. At least, not at this time."

As Augustin revives the farmer and is thanked repeatedly by the wife, Kaythek looks around the assembled villagers. A good place to save, though the people can be a little less somber and more lively, reflects Kaythek. It would be a good place to settle down, for that want to have a measure of peace.

As Ulric states his review of the night, Kaythek gives hearty grin. "Aye, we are also worthy of the blessing of the Gods and Goddesses tonight. I just didn't mention to the others because I don't want to be seen as propping up our own importance."

Favorite Merc Maxims

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sarone View Post
    Eyebrow raised, Kaythek looks at Morcaine when she states they were fighting against anarchy and darkness. "No offense is taken, Morcaine, for the only ties between me and the Clans is my blood and that's weak at best. And while that might be true about 'anarchy and darkness'," Kaythek says as he assists Augustin with helping the few wounded, "that isn't the only enemy. From anarchy, you're talking about fighting the spirit within each of us, and the choices we make. It's not the laws, or the culture, or the 'proud history' that makes a civilization. It's the people and it's choices and what are the consequences of those choices. And frankly, it's not anarchy or darkness that we are fighting, but stupidity." Looking back at the Councilors, especially Councilor Hearthmount, Kayhek continues. "And when the only options they were enteraining was to either hide or form a peasent mob, that can only be called desperation and stupidity."
    "That may be true, Kaythek, but demons do not make choices. Undead do not make choices. They are beings of malice and hate. Whether they are mindless monsters whose only instinct is to kill or cunning ones who engineer the death and corruption of entire nations, they make no choices. All that matters to them is how much suffering they may make us mortals feel before we expire and they must move on to their next victim. The spirits in Harrowstone we face, they have nothing but hate for Ravengro and its people, and will stop at nothing to destroy it out of a meaningless desire for revenge and malice."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara's normally unflappable countenance is, for once, thoroughly flapped. After the skull has vanished and the injured are seen to, Tamara silently dismisses herself.

She lights a torch and heads to the riverside. With her mirror, she assesses the damage. Oh no... this is really bad! She grimaces and, with her scissors, endeavors to try and repair the damage.

Half an hour and six inches later, the burnt regions of the halfling's hair lie at her feet. While her new style is much shorter, only falling halfway down her neck, Tamara is pleased with the final result. She sighs deeply and goes for a quick swim. Once dried off, she returns to Kendra's retaining none of her gloom from an hour before.

12. - Top - End - #552

Kendra grins back at Kaythek, her relief after the terrors of the evening obvious in her now lighter mood. "Ah, Kaythek, of course you're right, they had a hard time accepting what was right in front of their eyes. The reason is obvious, of course: This is Ravengro. Evidence that comes from strangers isn't quite as evident as it would otherwise be. My father used to rail against that too..."

With a wide smile, of a kind you hadn't seen anywhere near her face since the Professor's death, she goes on. "Still, you rubbed poor Vashian's nose in it. Just after he had essentially named you a hero, and admitted that you were right ! Did you see the look on his face?

But let's go home now, everyone seems to have calmed down. Augustin healed everybody... And we haven't had any dinner yet. And, boy, do I need a bath !"

All, especially Briar and Kaythek, suddenly come to the same realization Tamara just had: With burnt and torn clothes, soiled with wet soot, their head covered in ashes and smelling of cinders and burnt hair, the valiant adventurers now look just like a downtrodden band of street urchins.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2012-01-29 at 09:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553

Letting an ear o ear grin form, Kaythek shrugged. "What can I say, he was acting all holier than thou to Morcaine and insulting the Mentor's work and memory."

Keeping his grin, Kaythek was brought back when Kendra mentioned food and a bath. "Ah, I was wondering why I was thinking something was cooking." At that, a deep grumbling was heard from Kaythek's stomach, causing him to look down. "Oh, boy, time to eat. We can't just run on prayers and the Gods' and Godesses' blessings and the remains of our enemies."

Hearing that, Kaythek brings in Augustin and Morcaine under his arms. "Besides, tonight was a good night."
    Last edited by Sarone; 2012-01-29 at 10:53 PM.

Favorite Merc Maxims

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin elbows Kaythek gently. "I believe the 'something cooking' was you. Let's get to dinner before you smell good." He gives a weary laugh.

"You are right, though. It was a good day, from the proper perspective. It would ave been better had these things not occurred at all, but we must live in the world we have, not the world we would have. In this world we did much good for this village and will do more yet."

"As for baths, I think we could all stand for one. Fresh clothes too. Otherwise we'll be smelling of smoke for a week."

Back at the house, he speaks to Tamara. "A pity that magic doesn't regrow hair, but you seem to have made well of it. It suits you."

15. - Top - End - #555
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briar

The gnome shrugs her small shoulders, wrinkling her button nose. "Misconceptions of villagers due to ignorance unfortunate, not surprising. Good that saving favoured public structure likely to negate fears." She shrugs again, then giggles - the first such noise you have heard from her. "First time that incendiary danger results in friendship in my experience. Never worked for me before. Usually, complaints afterwards. Not this time." She grins widely.

"Now, ablutions welcomed! Not for self: smoke is scent of experimentation, triumph, new ideas, new modes, thrill of danger, heralds correction of errors, discovered properties, conflagration of enemies, explosions! In all, good. However, certain social stigma attached; therefore, which way to baths?"
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

16. - Top - End - #556

"This way", Kendra replies, showing Briar the bathroom. "I'll have to ask you men for help fetching more water and more wood, though. A bath for each one of us is more than our reserves can support."

She goes about the house, checking her supplies, and starts on the kitchen fire, to serve both for hot water and for a chicken stew.

"Also, in the morning, I'll take you shopping, rather than just waiting here for the council to call on us. More than one new outfit is in order."

Indeed, at least three among the group - Kaythek, Briar and Tamara - have had their clothing thoroughly ruined by fire.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin sits heavily, quickly consuming his portion and seconds. "Seems we best take what meals we can if are days will be thus. A fine meal it is, too."

Once the personal necessities are taken care of, he retires to his prayers before heading to bed, asleep moments after touching the pillow.

18. - Top - End - #558

Nodding in appreciation, Kaythek heads to his 'room' and begins taking hiw armor off, taking time to inspect it for any major problems. Lord in Iron and Lord of the Forge, you both have blessed this armor, Kaythek prays as he sets the armor up. May my friends and I continue to bring honor to you.

Taking off his ruined tan shirt and folding it up, Kaythek hears Kendra asking for some more fire wood. Aye, a warm bath sounds good,, thinks Kaythek as he heads down the hall and stairs in his dark blue pants, his sheathed falchion across his back. Grabbing a bowl of chicken stew, Kaythek nods to Kendra. "I'll be outside getting the logs. Everyone one else better get their bath in before me. Oh, and setup a light out here as well so you don't trip."

Taking a step outside, Kaythek breathes in the night air, then takes his falchion off his back and sets in within reach of him. A good night indeed for a bath, Kaythek thinks as he stretches his back and arms, rolling his tattooed muscles a bit before grabbing the axe starts cutting the logs.

(OOC: My character will go last in the bath order. Meanwhile, he'll be outside cutting the logs.)

Favorite Merc Maxims

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine volunteers to wait until the others besides Kaythek have bathed first. When Briar's finished, she approaches the gnome.

"You did the Inheritor proud today, Professor. I think out of everyone who fought the fire today, no valor matched yours."

Spoiler
    Show
    TYME 4 ROLEPLAY!!!
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2012-02-01 at 08:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara beams at Augustin's compliment, "thanks so much! I was really worried about it, but I think it came out okay!" After a moment, Tamara begins to ponder the validity of a compliment on appearance delivered by a blind man, then she remembers her manners, "your hair looks nice too!"

Before the oracle has time to respond, the halfling says, "I have to confess... I didn't like the events of today. Thwarting evil trying to kill us and nice people is one thing, but I don't like it when the nice people are right there! I'm glad everyone came out okay, though..."

21. - Top - End - #561

Briar

The gnome finishes scrubbing herself clean, wrapping herself in a pile of too-large blankets until she has an opportunity to dress properly.

At Morcaine's praise, she snorts, her large oval eyes rolling. "Valour leads to burns, other unpleasantness. Not productive. At best, contingency for failure of rational courses of action. Heroism always in dire moments. Proponents fail to mention that moments only dire because of belief in heroism."

"Put another way,"
    she continues, "good that we were here. Saved lives, property. But better to have recognized supernatural danger prior to meeting, arranged for contingencies. My fault. Won't happen again; no need to worry."

She looks up at Morcaine. "Still, from Knight of Ozem, valour is high praise. Thank you. From Professor, intellect equally high praise. You displayed considerable intellect today."

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

"This is Ustalav, Professor. Irrationality is how people survive here. I mean, when I started hearing voices in my head as a kid, the rational thing was to assume I was going mad. It turned out to be something that no one would have guessed."

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin nods. "As long as we have brave halflings to jump into the flames we'll come out alright. But I agree, I would have us take the battles away from the village. Hopefully we can do so tomorrow. The answers will lay in the ruins, if I am not mistaken. Unlikely to find anyone there in need of saving. Not physically anyhow."

24. - Top - End - #564

Ulric looks at Tamara with a shadow of sadness on his half-face.

Little one, you are brave to the point of recklessness, but are you really this young ? Let's hope what lays ahead of us doesn't leave your spirit broken.

He manages a bit of a smile, but can't find anything to say that would be both truthful and uplifting, so he just keeps silent.

25. - Top - End - #565

At Kendra's house tonight, the company's mood is a little subdued, with the unspoken understanding that the day's events are ominous ones, a warning of future dangers in Ravengro. But the hot bath, hearty stew and mutual encouragement do a wonderful job of erasing the smell of burnt wood and oil, the stiffness in the bodies and the heavy thoughts on some minds.

The night is uneventful, with blissful rest for all. In the morning, during the minute or two it takes to be fully awake, one could get the feeling that the threat to the town isn't very real.

After breakfast, Kendra takes everyone to visit Ravengro's most notable shops, starting with the town's general store. This place is well provided with hardware, cookware, clothing, and most types of equipment an adventuring party might need. Ulric admires the well-polished, high quality set of full plate armor that stands guard by the door. The owners, Luthko and Marta Avanaki, give a grateful welcome to the group.

"You burnt your body and your garb saving my life, Miss," Luthko tells Tamara, simply. "Let me know what kind of new outfit you would like and we'll have that arranged. Least I can do really." He and his wife won't let any of the heroes of the past night go away before they are outfitted properly.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can purchase any mundane equipment here at a 10% discount. As for your new clothes, the Avanakis will insist that they're free for you.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2012-02-05 at 09:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

"What can you tell us about this armor here?" Morcaine asks, impressed by it as well.

27. - Top - End - #567

"Ah, that one belonged to my mother. A fine warrior she was, in her day, spent all her young years doing battle on the border to the west. You know..." Marta casts a slightly uneasy glance in Kaythek's general direction.

"Just before I was born, she retired from patrol duty and settled in Ravengro. We've always kept her armor and gave it pride of place. Over the years, a few people have asked to buy it from us, even though not many can afford such craftmanship. But I always said no. That would be a lot of good money for us, but it's a memory of her, you understand.

Now, if you think it would be of help to you, maybe..."

She doesn't finish her sentence. Morcaine gets a feeling the middle-aged shopkeeper has mixed feelings about this, her reluctance to part with her family heirloom battling with her hope to see Ravengro rescued from fear.

28. - Top - End - #568

Briar shuffles about the shop, rummaging through clothes for something with an appropriate number of pockets, huffing occasionally when a particular garment falls short of her expectations.

Her size does not help. In the end, she comes away with a coat that, with considerable tailoring, will fit. She returns to the storefront.

"Current theorization on memory places it congruent to the body, similar to soul in many respects. Armour is different: undoubtedly corporeal in nature. Will not stay with soul in event of death. Therefore, if armour is to be enjoyed, it should be lent to us: if you die, which is increasingly probable given circumstances (age and other natural factors notwithstanding), you will be parted from armour. Thus, to protect armour, destroy threat to it."

She strokes her chin. "Details of deal: payment given for armour, then returned with reimbursement upon creation or purchase of comparable protective gear."

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tamara smiles at the man, "it was my pleasure!" Though generally an empty colloquialism, jumping into the fire to save the man was quite literally the most enjoyable thing Tamara did the previous day. "I'm just glad you're okay! I mostly need something for under my armor because the armor itself seems to have survived the fire okay - maybe it's even tougher now! Needs some stitching here, and new straps here might be good, something green would be nice, a dark green, for the under armors I mean. Do you have anything green? Or a brown - brown would be good too."

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin too admires the armor, though the other garments have little interest for him. In a world without color the only qualities looked for are cut and feel, the texture meaning infinitely more than the hue. Even living far from the cities growing up he had enough wealth to expect the highest quality. He did not expect to find it here, though this bothered him not at all. Clothes where not a priority in his life, not now.