New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: JJJ's Haunting of Harrowstone

“To father,” she whispered, finishing their round. While she sipped at her wine and her stove’s fire filled the house warmth, a frown began to tug at the corners of her mouth. Surrounded by her father’s memorabilia and books and the wine to dull some of the pain she still felt upon looking at them, her thoughts, perhaps for the first time in days, truly turned towards what happens next.

It was no secret to herself (and possibly the others) that to look after her father she had sacrificed her freedom. Truth be told, he needed someone to keep him grounded. Now with him gone, there was a gaping void in her life. Though she’d been too upset to realize it she’d buried her life along with Petros’. As she looked around the room, filled with friends new and old, she wondered what would happen next.

“If you don’t mind me asking,” she started, “What are you plans after father’s will is read?”

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin tried to hide his grimace at the thought of what would come next. I am not overly popular among the nobility in Ardis and my family has little enough to support themselves as it is. Too noble for a trade, too poor too live properly.

"I thought to perhaps travel some, to use my gift. Maybe see the world." He pauses, waiting for a response before allowing himself to smile. Ah, blind jokes, my greatest strength.

"Though of course that is all after matters are duly settled here. I would not have you see any trouble from the locals. Do you think the rabble-rouser will cause further concerns?" If so, I will have to speak with him at greater length. Properly armed. Interrupting a funeral, has he no decency!
    Last edited by stack; 2011-08-16 at 03:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kaythek nodded as Kendra finished the toast, draining the wine glass and contemplating what little is sticking to the glass. Not bad, Kaythek thinks to himself as he gazes at. A little sweet, but not too bad.

When Kendra spoke about what every one's plan is after the reading and Augustin gave his answer, Kaythek thought about what his plans are. Or destiny, for that matter.

"I haven't gave much thought to it," Kaythek says. "I've lived in Magnimar for a while, so I am half contemplating going back there someday. Though i've lived there for the last nine years or so and I can use a change of view."

Kaythek looks around at the various books and such. "Of course, I could stay in Ravengro, checking out the ruins if that was where the Mentor was doing before he passed, finishing what he started." Kaythek shrugged as he looked back at his glass.
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

2. A Sergeant in motion outranks a Lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.
    3. An ordnance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
    27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"I have plans to remain in Ustalav for a time. I'm sure my brother knights would like me to return to Lastwall as soon as possible, as I've only just been knighted myself, but I feel that I've more important things to do here. Forgive me for saying this, but with the ongoing conflict between Lastwall and the orcs of Belkzen, they have precious few knights to spare for the task of monitoring Virlych, as Augustin can personally attest. Had the Knights of Ozem been more proactive and attentive, his estates might not have been abandoned."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Wynette savored the wine- she was brought up well enough to know a good vintage when she tasted it. She was also brought up well enough to know not to drink up a host's expensive cache.

"A few of my brothers-in-faith and I were chaperoning some volunteers- until this came up, at least. They are capable enough, and I am not required back home until the harvest, at least. There was much said today that intruiges me, and if you would have me, I wish to remain in Ravengro for the time being."

I should have known that whenever I see the Professor, no matter his state, he always provides me with an interesting mystery. What was it he was studying at his end? And why did he invite me here, now of all times?

6. - Top - End - #96

Kaythek looked at Morcaine and Wynette as the two Iomedeans talk about recent troubles. Mayb it is good to be here.

"Sounds like you and your fellow warriors can use a hand, then," Kaythek says when the two ladies finished, then looks over at Kendra. "But that's down the line, I guess. What about you, Kendra, any plans once you're done with the reading of your father's will?"
    Cool. His ego and his survival instincts are fighting for control of his mouth. - Ennesby, Schlock Mercenary

Favorite Merc Maxims

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ulrich was not accustomed to drinking this good a wine. House ale at inns of sometimes poor repute, or, more commonly, water from whichever stream was near a camp site, that was more standard fare for him. He enjoyed it, though, even as he realized it was probably due to its link to Petros' memory, more than any actual appreciation of its taste.

Ah, Petros, there were quite a few things left for you to teach me...

He turned to Kendra as her straight question jolted him from his reverie.

"Miss Kendra, I meant it when I said I wished to place myself at your service. I took my vows as a Knight of Dawn just days ago, you see - on the very day the news of Professor Lorrimor's death reached us in Lastwall. The Order Master let me free to find suitable duties to begin my new life serving the Dawnflower. I feel that helping you for whatever task you may have in mind should allow me to repay, in a small way, my debt to the Professor - to Petros."

He paused, reflecting on the day's events. "In fact, after the incident during the ceremony, don't you think you might need some kind of protection ? Some of these folks appeared to be rather resentful."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-08-17 at 07:53 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Briar

The gnome enthusiastically chirps up. "My own interest - once the will is read, of course - lies in discovering the exact manner of Professor Lorrimor's research before his death. I am certain that it will prove a scintillating topic. Though possibly dangerous. At least, empirical evidence suggests a certain risk of bodily harm."

She pauses to take a drink from her glass. Invention of wine quite remarkable: fermentation alone seems unproductive. Evidently the result of vast stupidity.

9. - Top - End - #99

Griffon

"I would be happy to assist you with that, friend gnome."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

“I don’t think I’ll have to worry about them,” she answered looking to both scarred men, “At least I hope so. Gibs can be an ignorant fear monger, but considering his actions I’m sure the sheriff will keep him in line from now on.”

“I honestly don’t know Kaythek,” she continued, “There was a time when I thought about going out and making a name for myself… Yes he was a powerful and daring man, but the years took their toll and he needed me here as much as I needed him. Perhaps it is time for me to move on and start my own journey…”

When Briar, Wynette, and Kaythek bring up Harrowstone, however, Kendra’s mood shifts distinctly towards unease. “Though there is nothing I’d like more than to never hear mention of that wretched place ever again, I would ask that if to do go wandering down there to please be very careful. It already claimed father’s life. I would be devastated if something were to happen to any of y…”

A few sharp knocks sounded at the front door, interrupting her, “That must be Vashian now. If you’ll excuse me.”

Stepping around a stray stack of books, she made her way to the door. A moment later muffled voices could heard, but nothing distinct. After they ceased Kendra reappeared with Councilman Hearth mount a step behind her. Though he is familiar to you all from the funeral and you to him, there is a hint of distaste in his face as he wonders to himself how in the world the presence of each of you could have been so important as to potentially put off putting Lorrimor’s affairs to rest.

With the barest nod of greeting, Hearthmount begins without delay. He produces a scroll case for all to see, with Petros’ waxen seal untouched. Hearthmount breaks the seal and opens the case, allowing an iron key to fall from it and onto a nearby table. Undaunted, Vashian begins to read the letter within…

“I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this
    parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with
    the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and
    personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use them or
    sell them as you see fit, my child.

“Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this
    document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading
    of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in
    attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I
    have two final favors to ask.

“To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are
    few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of
    what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many
    of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and
    inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge
    of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

“And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire
    a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one
    of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward
    legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under
    lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have
    borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable
    for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my
    daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the
    danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting
    my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver
    the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who
    will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

“Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of
    another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend
    that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is
    safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone,
    and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she
    desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal
    gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum
    of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these
    funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in
    Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon
    the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month
    after the date of the reading of this will.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this
    twenty eighth day of Abadius, in the year 4711.”

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin sits in calm silence as the will is read, nodding subtly to himself as the request is made.

He furrows his brow at the mention of the sum. 100 platinum? A princely sum. Surely he knows we would have followed his wishes without such incentive. Well, Morcaine, Ulric, and I certainly, likely the others, if their words today are true.

He look at Kendra to see her reaction. A month helping her settle is certainly no hardship.

When it is clear that the reading is finished, he stands, turning to the others, head held high, in is best official tone. "Money or no, I will surely see these tomes delivered safely. I will also aid the lady of the house for as long as she wishes against any discomfort or injustice."

He sits back down, yielding the floor to any others that would speak. I ought inspect the storage of these tomes when we finish. Wouldn't do to have them stolen before we even leave.
    Last edited by stack; 2011-08-17 at 05:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Hearing the key drop on the table, Kaythek looked over at it. What is that? thought Kaythek as the councilman started reading the will.

Nodding as he listened to the reading of the will, Kaythek's face was impassive as he contmplated some of the words. Intriguing how he mentioned knowledge of the enemy's plan. Thought Kaythek, even as he put the thought behind, focusing on the rest of the reading of the will.

Once the councilman was done reading, Kaythek looked at at the rest of group. Well, I don't know about the rest of you all, but the Mentor wants us here for a month to help," Kaythek states, before looking at Kendra. "If you'll have us, that is. Even if he didn't offer the money, I'd still stay if he asked us to look after you for a little while." Kaythek says, trying to give Kendra a reassuring smile.

Heading over to the table and picking up the key, Kaythek hands it over to Kendra. "This fell out of the scroll. Do you want to get the books after a little while or wait until morning?"

Favorite Merc Maxims

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"I say we examine the books as soon as possible. I'd like to verify if these books are "safe." Petros was a noble-minded individual, but he was always a bit too eager to research knowledge gods-fearing people would find dangerous."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

14. - Top - End - #104

Ulric listened to the reading with a frown of concentration.

"Miss Kendra, it would appear that your father agreed with me about the need to protect you." He paused, half a smile lingering on his lips in reminiscence.

Petros, Petros... Always you were able to anticipate my thoughts. But even in death, my friend ? Now that's a feat.

He turned to Morcaine. "Yes indeed, these books are certainly a danger, Petros was fairly clear about that. These folk at the cemetery were accusing him of necromancy, as it was. We must not let the books' existence known, lest we confirm their fears... Especially as we need to remain here one month before taking the trunk to Lepidstat."

Addressing the official in respectful tones, he added: "Councilman Hearthmount, would it be possible to keep that part of the will a secret from all beyond this room ?"

"Also... Did you say, twenty eight of Abadius ? Less than two weeks before he died... It's like he knew..."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-08-18 at 05:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Griffon

Wynette absently nods to herself. I can spare a month in Petros' memory.

However, Ulric's question draws a frown, That was only quite recently. If he updated his will so specifically, he must have anticipated something like this. But statuary? Petros, you were always so careful, why now? I would very much like to see where this was. And the books. I'll want to look at those.

She casts a sideways glance across the group gathered around Kendra and Councilman Heartmount. Doesn't seem a too studious bunch. The gnome, yes, but she seems more concerned with facts than analysis. Isn't that why we write things down, so we don't have to remember? But yes, I'll have to take a look at the books. Compare notes with the others if they wish to look as well.

She clears her throat, "I don't think I was as close to Petros as many of you were, and I've spent much of the last week wondering why I would be invited to his funeral. Don't get me wrong, I grieve for him, and know that we've lost a great man, but my relationship with Petros was mainly professional."

She takes a deep breath and looks around, trying to make eye contact with everyone. "However, during my travels with him, Petros and I scoured libraries and private collections for works such as the ones he is describing. We liberated many profane texts, both to collect their contents for our own use, and to keep them safely away from those who would misuse them. This might be why I'm here. I do not know any of you well, nor any of you me, but knowing the Professor as I do, he would want these books looked after properly. I would volunteer myself for that duty, though I would appreciate any help you care to offer."

16. - Top - End - #106

Briar

"Probabilistically, coincidence is unlikely in Professor Lorrimor's publishing of a will shortly prior to his death, but one must always be wary of implying causality from correlation. Still, the matter demands further inquiry with all haste!"

When Wynette offers to look at the books, Briar enthusiastically agrees. "I would be keenly interested in examining the contents of these 'profane' books. With due caution, of course. But it is dizzying to imagine the sort of knowledge that even Professor Lorrimor might think dangerous! Extraordinary opportunities abound!"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kendra can feel her face burning with a touch of embarrassment as her father goads these fine people into looking after her for a month. Though they had offered as much before the will had even been read, that had been of their own volition. The sound of Vashian harrumphing as Wynette asked for his discretion broke her reverie and returned her to the matter at hand.

“Miss,” he stated flatly, “It is my duty as solicitor, informal as it might be, to keep these matters private.”

“Thank you Councilman Hearthmount. Is there anything else?”

“No, this was the last bit of unfinished business. I’m sure you still have much to discuss with these fine people Ms. Lorrimor. I’ll see myself out.”

After he’d left, Kendra turned to the rest of them, “Since father has made such a request of you, I would like to formally invite you all to stay here until you can leave for Lepidstadt. There’s plenty of room and it would save you the cost of nightly rooms at the Outward Inn… Truth be told, it has been quite lonely here without him. In the mean time I’ll go find this chest he spoke of.”

A few minutes later, she returned carrying a small, but sturdy chest. As she set it upon the table, she eyed Kaythek and the key. She was about to ask for it, but a tiny bit of apprehension kept into her as she instead backed away from the chest. “Father might be right, the knowledge within might not be meant for me. Since you hold the key Kaythek, I would like you to do the honors.”

Inside there are several tomes stacked one on top of another. The first, and most startling of them is a finely crafted leather tome, marred by the words “READ ME NOW!” which seems to have been roughly scratched into it’s cover. Any who peruse it’s pages will find it is actually Petros’ journal. Inside several entries are circled in red ink.

Below it are three books with notes tucked into them named On Verified Madness, Serving Your Hunger, and The Umbral Leaves. The notes plainly state that these are the dangerous tomes Lorrimor spoke of. The notes also indicate that they are to be taken to one Montagnie Crowl, a professor of antiquities at Lepidstadt University.

The fifth and final book is titled Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye. This book, however, is actually locked, it’s rich purple cover set with a brass scarab with a jade eye at it’s center. The note below it indicates it should be brought to Embreth Daramid, the person named as the holder of your portion of the will. It also indicates that such a transaction should be handled quietly and lists her address to aid in such an endeavor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Petros' entries:

Ten Years Ago:
    The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their
    fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at ease as I thought it might.
    Their desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

Two Months Ago:
    It is as I had feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravengro. But what could it be?

One Month Ago:
    Whatever the Way seeks, I am now convinced their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect,
    I suppose it all makes sense—the stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling
    enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town already being so worked
    up about them, I’d rather not let the others know about my curiosity—there’s plenty of folks
    hereabouts who already think I’m a demonologist or a witch or something. Ignorant fools.

Twenty Days Ago:
    It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something—no, strike that—someone who was
    held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died
    the night of the fire. Everyone. The Temple of Pharasma must have such a list.

Eighteen Days Ago:
    I see now just how ill prepared I was when I last set out for the Harrowstone. I am lucky
    to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to
    investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the
    foundation—hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to
    defend against spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the church of Pharasma used to
    store them in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black
    Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down
    below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items.

Seventeen Days Ago:
    Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish. My caution
    has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my
    theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I don’t have time to update my will, so I’ll
    leave this in the chest where it’ll be sure to be found, should the worst come to pass.

From each of you, I'll need 3 knowledge rolls pertaining to any innate knowledge you might have about the topics Petros brought up in his journal, perhaps even subjects he discussed with you at one time or another. For the first and second, use either local or history, for the third use either arcane or religion.
    Last edited by jjj54; 2011-08-18 at 07:23 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

After reading the notes, Augustin is troubled. "It seems matters more pressing than the contents of the will have forced themselves upon us. I see truly now why we were called."

Spoiler
    Show
    local (1d20)[11] untrained
    history(1d20)[10] untrained
    religion(1d20+4)[24] trained

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The halfling was ecstatic. "Wait! Kendra," she shouted, "you mean Petros wants me to live you with you for a month!!! This is great! This will be the best! I'm so happy!"

She had little interest in the books... after all, she was just commanded by the professor to do something she mostly wanted to do anyway. The sheer joy of it is hard to push aside.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

Morcaine glowers when she sees the books needing to be delivered to the University.

"I have no idea why Petros would have us hand these books off to a university. He should have burned them! No wonder they accused him of necromancy, what was he thinking?!"

She calms down as the entries from Petros' journal are read, however, her look of shock at what the professor was dabbling in replaced with grim determination.

"The Whispering Way..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (religion) check: (1d20+7)[11]

21. - Top - End - #111

Kaythek nods to Kendra when she asks him to open the chest. Don't know what the Mentor gotten himself into, but it would better be me than her if it is evil. Raising the lid, Kaythek notices the five books. The first, with Read Me Now scratched into the cover, catches his eye. That's interesting, Kaythek thinks as he pulls it out first, then the others and place them in order of being pulled out.

After the notes were outloud, Kaythek's anger rises, as he realizes what has happened. "The Mentor didn't die by no accident," Kaythek says through clenched teeth. When Wynette makes her inquiry, Kaythek glares at her. "Lady, the Mentor knew the risks, like he knew over ten years ago. If he kept them, he kept them because, to qoute him, 'For knowledge
    of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans'
    ."

Barely restraining his fury, Kaythek heads out the back of the house. Seething with anger, Kaythek looks around, noting a log that is meant to be chopped. That will do.

Drawing his falchion, Kaythek let's out a bestial cry, part anger, part rage, and part sorrow as he brings the heavy blade down on the log.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate Check(1d20+9)[18] on the log
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-08-18 at 01:49 PM.

Favorite Merc Maxims

22. - Top - End - #112

Ulric raised one eyebrow at Briar's enthusiasm.

"Petros was not a man to use words lightly," he said, flatly. "He wrote that these books are dangerous. If they were dangerous for him, they surely could be dangerous for anyone."

He turned to Wynette, bowing slightly. "With your depth of experience in the matter, we should trust your judgment. Do you think these are safe for us to read ?"

Spoiler
    Show
    untrained Knowledge(local) (1d20)[13]
    untrained Knowledge(history) (1d20)[19]
    Knowledge(religion) (1d20+4)[17]

On hearing Kaytheck's cry of rage outside, Ulric just looked puzzled, not quite knowing how to react. That one sure has energy to spare. I just hope it gets directed at the right enemies.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2011-08-18 at 02:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin shakes his head, brow furrowed. "The will is moot. This journal tells us more, and more recently. While I was happy to stay here and then conduct the books, I will not let necromancers practice their craft unhindered. I must investigate as soon as possible."

He stands in concentration, trying to recollect where he has heard that name before. The whispering way...
    Last edited by stack; 2011-08-18 at 02:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

(OOC: Forgotten about the knowledge rolls.)

As time goes by, Kaytheks starts taking deep breaths, trying to control his rage at what had learn. As a minute goes by, Kaythek looks around, then at the log as it laid on the ground. That feels better, now, Kaythek thinks as he puts the falchion away and walks back into the house. Probably left a sour taste in everyone's mouth, but if I'm correct then that wasn't no accident that killed the mentor.

As Kaythek walks back into the room, he looks over at Kendra. My apologies for the outburst, Miss Kendra, but your father and Zacharious raised me better than my clan. If your father felt that Harrowstone was being used for something evil, then it wasn't an accident that killed him."

As the others talked about Harrowstone, Kaythek thinks about what he knows. That might be why he was in Belkzen.

Spoiler
    Show

1st Subject: Knowldge Local (1d20+8)[23]
    2nd Subject: Knowldge Local (1d20+8)[20]
    3rd Subject: Knowldge Religion (1d20+6)[19]
    Last edited by Sarone; 2011-08-18 at 06:08 PM.

Favorite Merc Maxims

25. - Top - End - #115

Griffon

Wynette sucks in a deep breath when the chest is opened and she can see the contents. Slowly moving to the front of the crowd to get a better look, she reaches into the chest and slowly traces her hand just above the cover of each book, careful not to make contact.

"Books aren't dangerous, friend,"
    she starts slowly, "understanding what's within could be dangerous, however."

She silently mouths the title of each book in turn, to herself.

"Two of these I have never heard of before. One, I know by title alone. The final one, however, I was with the Professor as we sought it. I was younger then, and more eager. He would not let me look within. Given my years and respect for the man, I am hesitant to now."

She finally makes contact with the covers, slowly running her fingers across each one.

"If you are asking my advice, I would encourage us not to delve into them at all, but being associates of Petros, and knowing the company he liked to keep, I know asking that of you is impossible. I would ask you all to let me assess them first, and you would all be more than welcome to pour over them after. These subjects are not for the faint or weak of will."

Spoiler
    Show
    History! [roll0]
    Religion! [roll1]

Wynette would love to settle down with these, perhaps taking 20 after this is discussed, and get deeper into them

26. - Top - End - #116

Griffon

Third knowledge roll.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Religion! (1d20+4)[8]

27. - Top - End - #117

Briar

The gnome's brain churns as she takes in the host of new information. Fascinating! Veil is lifting! Curious that Professor could take time to annotate, draw attention to articles of interest, but no direct explanation of circumstances... Even brilliant minds irrational on occasion.

Briar thinks hard, her lips pursed as her large eyes zip across the pages before her. Then she practically jumps up off her seat, brandishing before her a peculiar blue vial. Without pausing for thought, she unstoppers it. She tilts her head back and drinks it, her cheeks expanding. She closes her eyes, plugs her nose, and swallows.

Head spinning, Briar babbles. "Apologies. Taste not yet rectified. Methodology of imbibing crude by social norms. Perhaps a pinch of lemon. No! No! Never mind!"

She shakes her head, blinking rapidly. "Matter at hand. Grave concern. In many senses. Joke; ha ha! Whispering Way: name suggests inclination towards melodrama. What else?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Briar is consuming her cognatogen for a +4 bonus to Int. She also takes a Str penalty, but I'm assuming that won't matter right now. I'll take it into account if somehow it does.

First check: Knowledge (history) (1d20+7)[10]
    Second check: Knowledge (history) (1d20+7)[24]
    Third check: Knowledge (arcana) (1d20+13)[33]
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-08-18 at 09:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Results: The information each of you can manage to group together is summed up below to share and divide as you wish.

Harrowstone: Harrowstone is a ruined prison— partially destroyed by a fire in 4661, the building has stood vacant ever since. The locals suspect that it’s haunted, and don’t enjoy speaking of the place. Harrowstone was built in 4594. Ravengro was founded at the same time as a place where guards and their families could live and that would produce food and other supplies used by the prison. The fire that killed all of the prisoners and most of the guards destroyed a large portion of the prison’s underground eastern wing, but left most of the stone structure above relatively intact. The prison’s warden perished in the fire, along with his wife, although no one knows why she was in the prison when the fire occurred. A statue commemorating the warden and the guards who lost their lives was built in the months after the tragedy—that statue still stands on the riverbank just outside of town.

Most of the hardened criminals sent to Harrowstone spent only a few months imprisoned, for it was here that most of Ustalav’s executions during that era were carried out. The fire that caused the tragedy was, in fact, a blessing in disguise, for the prisoners had rioted and gained control of the prison’s dungeons immediately prior to the conflagration. It was only through the self sacrifice of Warden Hawkran and 23 of his guards that the prisoners were prevented from escaping—the guards gave their lives to save the town of Ravengro.

The prisoners of Harrowstone: Originally, Harrowstone housed only local criminals, but as the prison’s fame spread, other counties and distant lands began paying to have more dangerous criminals housed within this prison’s walls. At the time of the great Harrowstone Fire, the number of particularly violent or dangerous criminals imprisoned within the dungeons below was at an all-time high. The five most notorious prisoners in Harrowstone at the time of the great fire were Father Charlatan, the Lopper, the Mosswater Marauder, the Piper of Illlmarsh, and the Splatter Man.

Whispering Way: The Whispering Way is a sinister organization of necromancers that has been active in the Inner Sea region for thousands of years. Agents of the Whispering Way often seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the society itself has existed much longer than even that mighty necromancer. The Whispering Way itself is a series of philosophies that can only be transferred via whispers— the philosophies are never written or spoken of loudly, making the exact goals and nature of the secretive philosophy difficult for outsiders to learn much about.

Exact details on the society are difficult to discern, but chief among the Whispering Way’s goals are discovering formulae for creating liches and engineering the release of the Whispering Tyrant. Agents often travel to remote sites or areas plagued by notorious haunts or undead menaces to perform field research or even to capture unique monsters. Their symbol is a gagged skull, and those who learn too many of the Way’s secrets are often murdered, and their mouths mutilated to prevent their bodies from divulging secrets via speak with dead.

Nice rolls everyone, you really surprised me there. 200 XP for everyone.

As far as the other books go, well, you’ll just have to peruse them if you want to know what’s in there. Sorry it’s not a more in depth post tonight (or today rather. It’s my night now. Blasted night shift). Starting to get a little tired. But this should give you enough to discuss amongst yourselves.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Augustin shares all he knows, primarily of the undead and the Whispering way.

"I have some power to keep away the haunts and other spirits. I would that the professor had called me sooner, I may have been able to aid him." Rather than sitting around an impoverished estate making a nuisance of myself.

"I wish to investigate this prison, as do many of you, no doubt. However I am loathe to leave Kendra. I am sure you are capable, my lady, but it would violate your fathers wishes. There is also the matter of guarding these wicked tomes." He sits down, leaning back in his chair, ready for what he expects to be a lengthy debate.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Morcaine

"I agree. If the Whispering Way is involved, as a Knight of Ozem it's my duty to stop them. And if Petros was in as much danger as I think he was at the time of writing this journal, it is our duty to avenge him. When do we leave for Harrowstone?"