New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Problems with a logo's resolution, what would it cost?

I've got a problem with the digital format of the Logo we are using... in fact I only got a .gif, .jpg and a .tif with subpar resolutions.

I have about 20 minutes of experience with Gimp, none with Photoshop and am generally not that good with graphical design... as such I don't know what needs to be done and what it would cost to get the logo (i assume) redone for a better resolution.

Any advice?
    Last edited by Krazzman; 2016-09-12 at 06:20 PM.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Problems with a logo's resolution, what would it cost?

When you say resolution, I assume you mean it's too small and looks crappy when you try enlarging it?

If the original work was done in a vector graphics program like Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator, the artist just needs to dig out the project files and export it at a higher resolution.

From what I understand, it's not unusual for artists to work at higher image sizes and export down.

If possible, try talking to the artist who made them. Alternately, you could try tracing over the logo in Inkscape and exporting the traced version at whatever resolution you wish.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    If the original work was done in a vector graphics program like Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator, the artist just needs to dig out the project files and export it at a higher resolution.

From what I understand, it's not unusual for artists to work at higher image sizes and export down.
    ^^Yes, and yes.

Professional logo work usually starts in the $100-$500 range and goes up depending on the skill of the artist. If the original logo is a gif or jpeg then an artist is going to have to trace it for you, which is a pain, but less work than coming up with an original. If you can find a college kid somewhere who is learning illustrator, you might be able to get a vector file for less than $50.

Adobe Illustrator is pretty much industry standard these days, and if you ever want a vinyl sticker or stencil of your logo to put on a car/window/giant sign, that's the type of file they need to cut it out, FYI.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    When you say resolution, I assume you mean it's too small and looks crappy when you try enlarging it?

If possible, try talking to the artist who made them. Alternately, you could try tracing over the logo in Inkscape and exporting the traced version at whatever resolution you wish.
    Original artist or whatever might no longer be with us. It would be for our "karneval" club (why does the translation look so wrong?) and I just got 2 of them handed to me. There is a good chance there never even was a Vector file too. I'll give Inkscape a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Artman77 View Post
    ^^Yes, and yes.

Professional logo work usually starts in the $100-$500 range and goes up depending on the skill of the artist. If the original logo is a gif or jpeg then an artist is going to have to trace it for you, which is a pain, but less work than coming up with an original. If you can find a college kid somewhere who is learning illustrator, you might be able to get a vector file for less than $50.

Adobe Illustrator is pretty much industry standard these days, and if you ever want a vinyl sticker or stencil of your logo to put on a car/window/giant sign, that's the type of file they need to cut it out, FYI.
    Thank you for the pricing range, this makes it better to not seem like a donkey when it comes to contacting someone (should the Inkscape tracing fail).
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it a very complicated logo? If you don't want to do it yourself you might just post it and see if someone wants to trace it.