New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XIX: I Emptied Your Thread

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    That'd be in line with Doctor Who, except that each individual time lord only has 13 regenerations, and the hourglass is a VERY popular background cutie mark.

@ WJ: I wouldn't recommend Who; it's possibly one of my least favorite series ever. It's taken Doctor Whooves being a popular background pony for me to have anything but rage at the series in general and its title character in particular. I seem to have a minority opinion on the internet, though.
    Maybe multiple versions of himself all time-traveling to the same period? Perhaps each episode corresponds to a nexus of temporal distortion, which is also what allows us to view it in the real world?

What?! It could be possible!
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WJMill View Post
    While I'm not well read in the Who-niverse, both are plausible. (I've been meaning to get into it, because my friends have hyped it up to high Heavens, I just haven't found the time and the Internet is poopy here, thus making streaming Netflix painful.)
    Same here. (though I was influenced more by Internet rage rather than friends.)

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

@ WJ: I wouldn't recommend Who; it's possibly one of my least favorite series ever. It's taken Doctor Whooves being a popular background pony for me to have anything but rage at the series in general and its title character in particular. I seem to have a minority opinion on the internet, though.
    I watched about the first two or three episodes of what they have on Netflix (the 2005 run, 9th doctor I believe?) and I really wasn't all that impressed. I really couldn't stand much of the Rose character.

Anyway, ponies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Real Applejack and Hipster Applejack!
    3DS Friend Code: 3625-8308-8437
    Pokemon X | Harvest Moon ANB | Animal Crossing ANL
    Fighting Type | Machoke | Throh | Breloom

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Maybe multiple versions of himself all time-traveling to the same period? Perhaps each episode corresponds to a nexus of temporal distortion, which is also what allows us to view it in the real world?

Well, they did have occasional specials with more than one Doctor present at a time, with past actors reprising their roles. But 1) a lot of the time lord ponies are female, and I'm unaware of any gender bender regenerations and 2) I swear, there's more than 13 of them. It's a VERY popular background pony mark.

I watched about the first two or three episodes of what they have on Netflix (the 2005 run, 9th doctor I believe?) and I really wasn't all that impressed. I really couldn't stand much of the Rose character.

Anyway, ponies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Real Applejack and Hipster Applejack!
    That's because Doctor Who is, in my humble opinion, a series that ranges from average to rage inducing, often in the same episode. And Rose is only in the first... 2-3 seasons of the new series, I believe. And she'll get worse before she gets
    Spoiler
    Show
    killed off or something, I'm hazy on the details,
    , I'm told. I found Rose really annoying too.

Also, which Applejack is which?
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-06 at 02:36 AM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

No love for Hipster Who?
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    No love for Hipster Who?
    Isn't that the 11th Doctor?
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

7. - Top - End - #427
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, they did have occasional specials with more than one Doctor present at a time, with past actors reprising their roles. But 1) a lot of the time lord ponies are female, and I'm unaware of any gender bender regenerations and 2) I swear, there's more than 13 of them. It's a VERY popular background pony mark.
    I think I've seen at least one in every episode (maybe not different ones, but at least one mark), and I know there are females, pegasi, and unicorns, I think, from the Gala episode.

That's because Doctor Who is, in my humble opinion, a series that ranges from average to rage inducing, often in the same episode. And Rose is only in the first... 2-3 seasons of the new series, I believe. And she'll get worse before she gets
    Spoiler
    Show
    killed off or something, I'm hazy on the details,
    , I'm told. I found Rose really annoying too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've already been spoiled by friends complaining (or cheering) over Facebook about Rose.

Also, which Applejack is which?
    And that is the question, isn't it? XD
    Last edited by WJMill; 2011-08-06 at 02:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

They try to avoid that. Ostensibly because time lords can mess with their own future or past by even being in the same room as themselves; actually because they don't want to pay Tom Baker to make a cameo.

I can't say I care much for the new one, but the classic series was sometimes great. Most of the comedy is unintentional, most of the monsters would find a comfy home on an Ed Wood production, but it was sometimes great.

There were time ladies in the classic series. The first doctor even had a grand daughter.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-06 at 02:46 AM.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    They try to avoid that. Ostensibly because timelords can mess with their own future or past by even being in the same room as themselves; actually because they don't want to pay Tom Baker to make a cameo.

I can't say I care much for the new one, but the classic series was sometimes great. Most of the comedy is unintentional, most of the monsters would find a comfy home on an Ed Wood production, but it was sometimes great.
    Some of the classic stuff is alright, if occasionally dull. And the unintentional comedy is fun.

If I were to ever do a show like That Guy with the Glasses, I'd have specials called "If You Can't Say Anything Nice." The premise would be that there are some shows where you dislike them, but don't want to expend the energy to watch enough episodes to get a really informed opinion of them. So, "If You Can't Say Something Nice" would be devoted to talking about the positive things you can say about a show, with the understanding that by implication, everything else was either average or bad.

For New Who, the list would be two.

1) The Theme Song.

2) Daleks are awesome. Mainly their voices.

Also yup, fully aware of female Time Lords (like the Ronnie). I'm just saying, I'm not aware of any shifting gender between regenerations; I'm open to correction.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-06 at 02:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Also yup, fully aware of female Time Lords (like the Ronnie). I'm just saying, I'm not aware of any shifting gender between regenerations; I'm open to correction.
    "Or herself, a couple of times." There has never been, sadly, any on screen gender bending as far as I know.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-06 at 03:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Dwarf in the Playground

If I were to ever do a show like That Guy with the Glasses,
    Ooh, a NC fan? (I used to be on the Wiki team/blogger. Don't have the time/motivation. The boyfriend and I were thinking about doing a co-op show someday when we have better equipment/time.)

I highly enjoyed NChick's pony review. I was like Nella in my teenage years.

(No, wait, do I really want to admit that..?)

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Ooh, a NC fan? (I used to be on the Wiki team/blogger. Don't have the time/motivation. The boyfriend and I were thinking about doing a co-op show someday when we have better equipment/time.)

I highly enjoyed NChick's pony review. I was like Nella in my teenage years.

(No, wait, do I really want to admit that..?)
    Nella's awesome. There's much worse things to be like than Nella.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nella's awesome. There's much worse things to be like than Nella.
    I absolutely agree. :D

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

German Applejack has the greatest accent ever. Watch it for that alone.
    It was damn near perfect. The way she flicked between German and English made me double take though.

Quote Originally Posted by OrchestraHc View Post
    I never noticed until watching the German fandub but during the storybook opening Celestia is wearing Twilight's tiara when she seals Nightmare Moon.
    Huh. Never noticed that either. Good catch. But the question is now if Celestia had the element of magic, who had the others? Or is Celestia just so damn perfect that she automatically qualifies for all six elements?

That'd be in line with Doctor Who, except that each individual time lord only has 13 regenerations, and the hourglass is a VERY popular background cutie mark.
    Actually I heard somewhere that the writers retconed that. Now Time Lords regenerate as often as they like.

Also I haven't been to tgwtg.com in ages. Not since... well since I started watching ponies actually. Traded one fandom for another I guess
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Huh. Never noticed that either. Good catch. But the question is now if Celestia had the element of magic, who had the others? Or is Celestia just so damn perfect that she automatically qualifies for all six elements?
    Princess Blingestia.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Pixie in the Playground

I have this theory that back then Celestia wast thought of as just another pony, whose purpose in life just happened to be raising the sun each morning. Back then she had actual friends, and together they could use the elements. Over time, those friends were forgotten, because who could possibly be friends with a goddess?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Giant SiuiS-like post incoming!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    I was going to respond to this earlier but forgot/got sidetracked. Here's a list of ponies you might want to consider:

Spoiler
    Show

Apple Cider

Affero

Blueberry

(Might not have yellow hair, hard to tell with the shadows)
    Giselle

Jangles

Doctor Hooves/The Master/Goldenseal

Serena

Sunstreak

Orange Blossom

Tornado

Wind Whistler

Elle Cuisine

Firecracker Burst

Sweet Bumblebee

Ah, thanks, I wouldn't had a clue about most of those.

Hmm. Apparently dark blue is not a very common colour, is it? Glah. Why are there no navy-blue ponies, dammit! Make my job harder. I might have to have a re-think...

Actually I heard somewhere that the writers retconed that. Now Time Lords regenerate as often as they like.
    No, that was a storm in a teacup, because the when Rory asked the Doctor how many regenerations he had, the Doctor snarked back by saying a billion or something equally silly and the newspapers got all over-excited about it.

For the record, I love the new Doctor Who, and the last two seasons have been brilliant in my opinion. (Though I totally agree on the Rose issue.)

Maybe I'm a lot lazier than I realize, but that's way too much work for the attention alone (especially anonymous attention). I'm kind of interested now, though. Do ya'll know if they're a collective that's writing and making the art together or if the author is commissioning it?
    Dunno about the art, but there's at leats a couple of 'em working on it.

I thought it was pretty good, myself, (I'm starting to reading the revised version.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I'm the herald of the shipping goddess. I can project a literal, entropic-altering field of smuttiness. So when I'm around, yes, it DOES work like that-if I want it to.

(And yes. Yes it would.)
    I am almost tempted. Actually, no, I can't even bring myself to do even in pretend.

(And this is why I'm a sector commadore, not an uncover agent. Though to be fair, I'm probably still better at it than Lord Yeller is, bless him, given his insistence on using "Lance Thrashnikov" as his undercover persona...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn
    This would be an EXCELLENT way to get rid of me!
    (KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU)
    But somehow it isn't.
    D'oh!

Also, Note to self: Must learn magical equivilent of Shadow Clone someday, given the useful applications during combat, reasearch and popping down to the shops.

The most miserable board pairing is Lix/AORTS Commander. Lix would be happy, but Commander's misery would be over 7.3 Gigayellers (the measure of sadness one feels watching the scene where Old Yeller dies for the first time).
    See! Bobcat's got my back!

The gigayeller would have interesting connotations for the Aotrs, as it would be more of a measure of how stupidly overblownily-awesome something is. (Lord Yeller, and his elite unit, the Bellowers, incidently, take their name from the fact they tend to be very, very loud, boisterous and scream-y during combat. Lord Yeller is himself, perhaps most reasonably said to be the closest thing we have to Pinkie Pie or perhaps Deadpool (sans the 4th wall abilities)...)

I was going to say AOTRSShy would be the most miserable if we cross them though.
    Hey, Fluttershy's cool! I mean, not that I want any relationships, like period, but y'know, there's that.

Starships
    Spoiler
    Show

... So you spend extra for the exotic weapon, take the EWP feat, and can overcome some DR? :smalbiggrin:
    It's not that much of an advantage, it's more within the range of variability for the difference between lasers and blasters. They're more a case of natural technological progression; an alternate tech-tree if you will. Coldbeams started out coming from old freeze-ray technology, when Lord Death Despoil decided he wanted a more unique experimental weapon. Up until then - and actually, really until that last twenty years or so - most of our weaponry was lazers, bought of the open market.

[aside]As were a lot of our hull and vehicle designs, something that has also been slowly phased out. Starships, vehicles and weapons are readily available in the public domain, after all, in no small part due to the Herosine Empire. The Herosine Empire is a minor power who have only just recently in the last couple of years reached major player status. They are extremely rich (not least because of all the weapons and starship exports), extremely corrupt (and proud of it), though not as numerous in populace (which is why for so long they've been a minor power). War-wise, they make up the gap making extensive use of droids, which make up 60-80% of their starship crews, and six out of seven ground units. Our WarDroids are themselves based off earlier Herosine models. They're at all fussy about who they sell too. (Heck, they sell to their enemies during a war, so...) So lots of smaller powers who don't have the money or resources to do their own ship building can buy and re-fit hulls and vehicles for much less cost than it would be to make them themselves.)[/aside]

Coldbeams, then, slowly came in and as we were manufacturing them ourselves, and we didn't have the resources to build an infinite varity of weapons, became our primary weapon technology by default.

And speaking of missing a joke by taking something literally...
    Turn about if fair play...

(Besides, it was mainly an excuse to talk our how awesome our armour is!)

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Zero absolute particle movement. It is entirely possible to have positive and negative movement, such as on a number line where positive is in one direction and negative is the opposite. In that case, negative movement would simply be in the direction of the negative "pole".

There is not a way to have less than no movement, though.
    That's what I meant, really, when I said "negative" (it was getting late!)

Quote Originally Posted by erikun
    I just treat an "elemental cold" as one system remaining at 0 K, absorbing heat but not changing temperature. Thus, the second system will drop to 150 K, then 75 K, and continue dropping in temperature as long as the elemental cold remains. In that case, you end up with situation resembling radioactive half-lifes, where the "coldness" or the volume doesn't matter as much as how quickly heat can be transferred out of the material object.

It also produces some fun situations with extremely hot objects. (You will reduce the object to half its current temperature in the same amount of time, regardless of the currect temperature, so starting very hot causes far more temperature stresses.)
    That's probably a good way of thinking about it. My knowlegde of the mechanics of elemental cold is, as they, say limited, but as I understand it, the shattering effect does come from the sudden heat dump, so you could well be right; it is probably more related to the speed of the transfer tha the magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by erikun
    From what I understand of antimatter, it is simply matter with an opposite electrical charge. This wouldn't really make it "negative temperature" matter, both because having the same properities in the opposite direction isn't a negative temperature (see my first comment above) and that electrical charge is a binary state, not a matter of degrees.
    That's my understanding, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn
    Hmm. That's interesting. My primary fleet has developed upon utterly different lines. Tell me; how's your dimensional shielding? You may want to boost it, in case our enemies attack you for helping us.

My second fleet is far less subtle, and relies upon some form of matter-disintegrating energy field. You'd have to ask the tech-priests how it works.
    Our shields pretty much block anything, subject to power output (as aforementioned, in the wide and dangerous galactic stage, you have to be prepared to deal with all sorts of exotic tech/magic/psionics/whathave). They're aren't totaly impermable to teleportation (we're not that good), but you have to be well above even us to be able to do that, and teleporting is much harder to block than energy weapon fire. It should be noted that modern shielding - ours and theirs - does not "have a frequency" like in Star Trek. They are more like a Wall of Force, in that pretty much ain't nuthin' can get through 'em without sinking enough energy in. There is no such thing as a shield-penetrating weapon (well, there is it's called firing a railgun slug unpteen times the speed of light and causing a spot failure, which is why you also have armour!) So, what I'm saying is, our shields (and pretty much everyone else's) work normally against pretty much everypony.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Out of curiousity, how would relativistic amorphous projectiles designed to approach perfectly inelastic collisions be handled? What about relativistic projectiles with an exceedingly high impact surface area?

Just curious. It's not like Scoltland R&D is drafting up some weapon plans, nope not at all.
    Honestly? Not sure, as I don't think I know of any current weapons that inflict the former.

On the latter, that sort of thing is what shields are really best at stopping, because their blocking power is better over a large surface area. (Active shields are the best defense against ramming, for example, as far as that goes; it tends to be fairly fatal whatever, but shields give you the best chance!)

To a point. If your surface area is too small, and your target's kinetic absorption too low, you can overpenetrate your target, only bleeding off some of the energy as the projectile flies right through. One way to prevent this is to have a much larger surface area to impact upon, but outside of a hard vacuum, this is impractical as collisions with particles saps momentum before hitting the target. Another is to make a projectile that deliberately malforms on impact, this is the principle behind hollow-points.
    Railgun slugs often travel at multiples of c and armour - and even shields - aren't much help against them. Though the bigger and faster a rail gun is, the worse problem it suffers from over-penetration and the less effective it is against smaller ships (there's a limit of how much damage you can effectively do to a vessel with a railgun, depending on what angle you hit and what it's flight path is.)

Unlike bullets (and even AP tank rounds (or APFSDS (DU) if you want to get technical!), railgun slugs don't bounce off and break up inside a target; they have to be really hardened in order to not break up on the surface armour, which precludes (say) slapping anti-matter inside one, because the forces involved would pulp any device in the round. So you tend to find you can either fire a dirty great chunk of metal at sufficient speed to cause spot failures on shields and perforate the target, or you can't throw it hard enough to get any penetration (and what you effectively have is a torpedo).

It might be theoretically possible to do it, but the cost of protecting your warhead's technical systems against against FTL acceleration, time-dialation problems and so on would basically make it more expensive than a fighter. (And decent fighters are often a notoriously expensive assest.)

Of course, that's only conventional weaponry. Out of the more exotic ones, my personal favorite is the Decoherence Beam, which forces matter into multiple quantum states, then collapses them into one.

It's a miracle of science, I tell you.
    Sounds a bit like the effect Cybertank Matter-flux warheads have.

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    Are you suggesting here that MCerberus would still have a chance, however infinitesimally small? Because if his chances for success aren't absolutely zero, then they might as well be 100 percent!
    I refer you to the above discussion, and then point out that a Liche's Wrath's railguns (which, if you cast your mind back to the picture, are thoise big gold thing either side of the main hull) are about twenty meters in diameter. Yes, they will over-penetrate, but on an airship, a 20m hole probably doesn't mean it matters...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-08-06 at 05:31 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm sorry, I'm not contributing anything to your point, but I've just got to say that every time I see your avatar I squeal with glee. It hits all the buttons marked 'adorable' in my head.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Hey, Fluttershy's cool! I mean, not that I want any relationships, like period, but y'know, there's that.
    But here's my thing, being forced into a relationship with her would make you unhappy. That, combined with you doing evil, lichy stuff, would make her unhappy. And everyone (but Gilda) is unhappy at making Fluttershy unhappy, which would make you unhappy, plus despised like Gilda is, which would make Fluttershy even more unhappy, which would make you even more unhappy, and so on.

It'd basically be a relationship made of recursive misery.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Troll in the Playground

No, that was a storm in a teacup, because the when Rory asked the Doctor how many regenerations he had, the Doctor snarked back by saying a billion or something equally silly and the newspapers got all over-excited about it.

For the record, I love the new Doctor Who, and the last two seasons have been brilliant in my opinion. (Though I totally agree on the Rose issue.)
    Ahhh. I'd actually heard they'd mentioned it in the new Sarah Jane show. The Doctor made a cameo and said it. I never watched the show though, so I can't really confirm. Frankly, I prefer the idea that his regens are limited.

Rose... eh, I could take her or leave her frankly. I like Amy though.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Ahhh. I'd actually heard they'd mentioned it in the new Sarah Jane show. The Doctor made a cameo and said it. I never watched the show though, so I can't really confirm. Frankly, I prefer the idea that his regens are limited.

Rose... eh, I could take her or leave her frankly. I like Amy though.
    It was on Sarah Jane. Actually, it might not have been Rory, now I think about it, it may have been SJ's lad or something; I knew it was a bloke, and thus assumed it was Rory.

But here's my thing, being forced into a relationship with her would make you unhappy. That, combined with you doing evil, lichy stuff, would make her unhappy. And everyone (but Gilda) is unhappy at making Fluttershy unhappy, which would make you unhappy, plus despised like Gilda is, which would make Fluttershy even more unhappy, which would make you even more unhappy, and so on.

It'd basically be a relationship made of recursive misery.
    Okay, so it would be miserable, but it wouldn't be the most miserable. At least I wouldn't have to worry about Fluttershy molesting me in my meditation or something, or stalking me...!

Wait, no, hang on, Fluttershy's like the Hinata Hyuuga of Equestria, isn't she? Bugger.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-08-06 at 06:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have just enough time to write this (shortish) excerpt before it's time to start doing things:

A Midnight Nightmare, Excerpt #6:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was harder than she was expecting.

You should have realized, you know. You're a smart pony.

Oh, not in terms of the actual conquest. Three-quarters of Ponyville had already fallen under her sway, turned to obedient servants through the ancient spell. The magic this reborn body possessed was incredible, and each servant she made added to that strength.

The rest had taken refuge in her hom-in the library.

You were with me all this time. You lived my life with me. You had the same experiences I did.

But each time she was forced to face a pony that she knew, terrible, unfamiliar feelings raged inside her. Every time they looked at her with shock or fear or betrayal, her heart pounded painfully in her chest.

You were right, my greatest fear is being alone. But only because I know how blessed I am. Only because I was given so much love. That's the key to love. It must be given.

She would need to master these feelings, and quickly. She would not have much more time, her Mom and Grand-no, the Princesses would have assuredly been alerted by now. She needed to capture the rest, particularly Mom-Twilig...the Element of Magic, if she stood a chance to defeat them. She supposed that the remaining Elements were keeping her and her other Mo, no, the showmare, from confronting her on the field.

She would need to force down the...guilt...that raged through her, and go to them, instead.

But you know that, don't you. Because you lived in me. You are a part of me, and you received the same love and warmth that I did.

It was for a good cause.
    It was for a good cause.
    This wasn't the pettiness of Eternal Night.
    It was for her, to ensure she would never be lonely.
    The one that she loved.

I can't love somepony that hurts everypony that I love. Everypony that she loves.

She would understand.
    In time. This was the best thing for her.
    Yes, this was the right thing to do.

As she advanced towards home, the last bastion of Ponyville, her own justifications sounded hollow.

Even to her.

24. - Top - End - #444

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    And before I go to bed: Is there really any more miserable combo than Blueblood or Photo / Shy? Assuming she doesn't go stare/murder on the former.
    No.

@bobcat:
    Spoiler
    Show

Something that randomly popped into my head about Semper Fidellas. Princess Celestia knows about the dragons rampaging. And she sent Twilight and company to look into it what, 10, 15 days ago? After that long with no news, she might get a bit antsy, and send in more investigators. Think about it, her star pupil and her extremely resourceful friends who have always gotten the job done post haste have been out of contact for almost two weeks. You might want to put something in there to explain why she hasn't sent somepony else to check on them.

Wish I had caught that sooner. I don't know if you have something for that thought out or if you need to pop a line in somewhere to explain why Celestia hasn't sent more investigators, but it is something you might want to look into at the least.
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so it would be miserable, but it wouldn't be the most miserable. At least I wouldn't have to worry about Fluttershy molesting me in my meditation or something, or stalking me...!

Wait, no, hang on, Fluttershy's like the Hinata Hyuuga of Equestria, isn't she? Bugger.
    Again, it wouldn't start out so bad, but it's a recursive feedback loop. The more miserable Fluttershy is, the more miserable you are. The more miserable you are, the more miserable Fluttershy is.

Eventually you'd cause the universe to collapse on itself from the sheer volume of misery.

Or you know, everyone on the internet ever would come beat you up for making Fluttershy unhappy... The beating would make you unhappy, which would make Fluttershy unhappy... So yeah, infinitely recursive feedback loop.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

those are very rook-like qualities.
    Ach. Now I'm going to spend a week studying chess ...
    Chess is pretty cool.

Stupid gullibility flaw
    Sorry? XD

Only things that stopped me were the notion that 1) rewriting someone's work for them because it sucks is rude, and 2) I would have to write a 'clopfic'. Which would invariably be found at an awkward time, because if I delete it afterwards, I never really wrote it.
    That's how I first wrote smut. Someone had a good plot, and cruddy writing, I asked if I could feature in it, they asked me to help write it... By which they meant, Ghost write for them. Eventually I took it for myself.

I think you will find 'Splendilloquent" to be both suitable and suitably mellifluous. But use it gently; it is a family word.
    'It is an elegant word, for a more civilised age.'

What Blueblood needs is somepony with the will and ability to whip him into shape, and I don't know who the mare for the job is.
    Ironically, I think Rarity would do it. If she was in a position where she had power over him, she could whip him into shape with ease.

I vote Lix or Pheokun.
    He doesn't deserve Phoe. And I'd just punch the guy.
    With hadoken.

The most miserable board pairing is Lix/AORTS Commander. Lix would be happy, but Commander's misery would be over 7.3 Gigayellers (the measure of sadness one feels watching the scene where Old Yeller dies for the first time).

The entire point of my trying to seduce him is that it doesn't count as a pairing that's valid until I've made him okay with it.

I am almost tempted. Actually, no, I can't even bring myself to do even in pretend.

(And this is why I'm a sector commadore, not an uncover agent. Though to be fair, I'm probably still better at it than Lord Yeller is, bless him, given his insistence on using "Lance Thrashnikov" as his undercover persona...)
    Heh. xD

D'oh!

Also, Note to self: Must learn magical equivilent of Shadow Clone someday, given the useful applications during combat, reasearch and popping down to the shops.
    I could probably teach you, if you...
    Wait.
    Chakra, according to most fanon, is created by chakra coils, and the chakra network is a physical thing. Skeletal undead wouldn't have it.

Starships
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our shields pretty much block anything, subject to power output (as aforementioned, in the wide and dangerous galactic stage, you have to be prepared to deal with all sorts of exotic tech/magic/psionics/whathave). They're aren't totaly impermable to teleportation (we're not that good), but you have to be well above even us to be able to do that, and teleporting is much harder to block than energy weapon fire. It should be noted that modern shielding - ours and theirs - does not "have a frequency" like in Star Trek. They are more like a Wall of Force, in that pretty much ain't nuthin' can get through 'em without sinking enough energy in. There is no such thing as a shield-penetrating weapon (well, there is it's called firing a railgun slug unpteen times the speed of light and causing a spot failure, which is why you also have armour!) So, what I'm saying is, our shields (and pretty much everyone else's) work normally against pretty much everypony.
    Spaceships!
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's interesting. You're all but defenseless against my primary fleet, while my secondary fleet would have a lot more problems.

The former use something called Ghost technology. Essentially, it uses powerful dimensional energies to shunt the projectile into an empty dimension parallel to our own. It's inherently unstable, as remaining in the ghost dimension is, to use a physics metaphor, a high energy state as far as dimensional energy goes. Because of this, when the dimensional energy generated by the ghost engine runs out, it's returned to reality. By modifying the amount of energy used, we can control how long it's in the ghost dimension.

Effectively, it goes right through everything, and reappears INSIDE your ship where it goes boom. Some forms of dimensional shielding can provide protection, but if you have trouble stopping teleports, you could be UTTERLY open to this form of attack. I'll send an engineer to you as soon as possible.

As for the second fleet, they're essentially blades with engines. They use powerful Power fields around their blades that can literally dissolve armor. The power fields are based on Terran technology, while the blades themselves are of Eldar origin. They aren't quite as effective, but they're very fast, well armoured, and ignore armor entirely. Shields stop them utterly, unless the sharp blades manage to pierce the shield themself.

If your spies that I assume you have tell you of plans to combine the two technologies, they're lying. Honest. Would I lie to you?

...Ponies! Cannot guarantee not reposts, but some of my favourites.
    Spoiler
    Show

How's that for the highlights of just five folders?
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2011-08-06 at 07:42 AM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

27. - Top - End - #447

Esperderek, just want to say that those blurbs you are making are fantastic and I cannot wait to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    So...

I finally finished it.

Behold! A non-ship Trixie fic.

Now, tell me it sucks. Because I think I went overboard with it.
    I'm about 2/3 - 3/4 into this, and I am enjoying it, don't know if you are looking for proofreading things, but I found a bit that popped out at me.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by grif
    Trixie smiled as she dusted herself off and trotted over to the now-incapacitated stallion. “Hah, none can escape... the... oh, horseapples.” Her voice trailed off as she saw what the stallion was stealing. A bunch of lamps. That were still lit. In a store that was lined with fireworks. Trixie watched in slow motion as flames of the lamps spread and licked the fuse of a particularly big roman candle.
    Even if the rest of the story sucked (which it doesn't), this part alone would have made it worth reading.

Blast and damnation, Trixie swore. Her plan was going so well, until that no-good stallion decided to ruin her act. Trixie definitely underestimated that stallion. He had him pegged for a naive peasant who just happened to help her. Blast her poor run of luck. Why couldn’t everything go her way for once?! Now she was on the run from the Law and penniless to boot. Well, not exactly penniless, she still had the money saved from her brief stint as a mailpony in the village.
    Since when was the Great and Powerful Trixie male?

The hours slowly ticked past, as Trixie continued to plod along the uneven path, now reduced to a mere dirt track in the middle of the forest. The afternoon sun was slowly sinking into the horizon. Trixie had a nasty feeling Celestia was going to drop the sun soon. She fervently hoped she would out of the forest soon. Nothing more unpleasant than spending a night in an unfamiliar forest. Filled with wild creatures. On a bed of uneven, filthy ground. Her ears perked up as she picked up the faint sounds of the bubbling of a stream. Good, she was getting thirsty anyhow.
    This sentence doesn't read too well. Perhaps something like "She fervently hoped she would be out of the forest soon", or "She hoped that she would find the way out soon" or the like.

“Something’s wrong.”

What is?” Coin Dust asked, immediately eyeing the surrounding trees suspiciously. His untrained senses didn’t tell him anything was out of the ordinary, but he wasn’t about to dismiss an experienced pony’s intuition like that.
    For the first part, I'd say you should either make it "What is wrong" or just "What"

For the second part, I'd say you have too many negatives there. How about "His untrained senses told him nothing was amiss" or the like. Gives the same impression, without both "untrained" and "didn't"

He had done a lot of questionable things in the past; all in the name of the Princess of course, but facing down a wild beast of this nature on his own has just topped his list right there. Still, it’s probably #15 in the list of stupidest thing he had done in his life.
    Tense issues, also some of these words are unnecessary. Probably best to stick with the past tense. So "Facing down a wild beast of this nature on his own just topped the list. Still, it was probably #15..."

The problem with "thing" there is it should be plural. "#15 in the list of stupidest things he had done in his life."

Before the creature could do more than hiss of him, the earth pony brought down his makeshift weapon on the creature, stunning it momentarily.
    I'd say cut out the second use of creature. Using the same word too many times in a short period can be a bit of a drain. I'd say change it to "...the earth pony brought down his makeshift weapon on it, stunning it....."

Overall, I enjoyed this, and will hopefully finish it tonight or tomorrow (New York time).
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stormpony Avatar by Dirtytabs

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    And I'd just punch the guy.
    With hadoken.
    Is that supposed to change my mind?

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Esperderek, just want to say that those blurbs you are making are fantastic and I cannot wait to see more.

I'm about 2/3 - 3/4 into this, and I am enjoying it, don't know if you are looking for proofreading things, but I found a bit that popped out at me.

Spoiler
    Show

Even if the rest of the story sucked (which it doesn't), this part alone would have made it worth reading.

Since when was the Great and Powerful Trixie male?

This sentence doesn't read too well. Perhaps something like "She fervently hoped she would be out of the forest soon", or "She hoped that she would find the way out soon" or the like.

For the first part, I'd say you should either make it "What is wrong" or just "What"

For the second part, I'd say you have too many negatives there. How about "His untrained senses told him nothing was amiss" or the like. Gives the same impression, without both "untrained" and "didn't"

Tense issues, also some of these words are unnecessary. Probably best to stick with the past tense. So "Facing down a wild beast of this nature on his own just topped the list. Still, it was probably #15..."

The problem with "thing" there is it should be plural. "#15 in the list of stupidest things he had done in his life."

I'd say cut out the second use of creature. Using the same word too many times in a short period can be a bit of a drain. I'd say change it to "...the earth pony brought down his makeshift weapon on it, stunning it....."

Overall, I enjoyed this, and will hopefully finish it tonight or tomorrow (New York time).
    Thank you for pointing those out.

I actually am looking for a proofreader. Past experiences told me my writing tend to be sloppy at best. (She -> He is a good example). It doesn't help I tend to do my writing in between bouts of gaming and at 4am in the morning. Unlike bobcat though, I make a lot of mistakes this way.

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    I have just enough time to write this (shortish) excerpt before it's time to start doing things:

A Midnight Nightmare, Excerpt #6:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was harder than she was expecting.

You should have realized, you know. You're a smart pony.

Oh, not in terms of the actual conquest. Three-quarters of Ponyville had already fallen under her sway, turned to obedient servants through the ancient spell. The magic this reborn body possessed was incredible, and each servant she made added to that strength.

The rest had taken refuge in her hom-in the library.

You were with me all this time. You lived my life with me. You had the same experiences I did.

But each time she was forced to face a pony that she knew, terrible, unfamiliar feelings raged inside her. Every time they looked at her with shock or fear or betrayal, her heart pounded painfully in her chest.

You were right, my greatest fear is being alone. But only because I know how blessed I am. Only because I was given so much love. That's the key to love. It must be given.

She would need to master these feelings, and quickly. She would not have much more time, her Mom and Grand-no, the Princesses would have assuredly been alerted by now. She needed to capture the rest, particularly Mom-Twilig...the Element of Magic, if she stood a chance to defeat them. She supposed that the remaining Elements were keeping her and her other Mo, no, the showmare, from confronting her on the field.

She would need to force down the...guilt...that raged through her, and go to them, instead.

But you know that, don't you. Because you lived in me. You are a part of me, and you received the same love and warmth that I did.

It was for a good cause.
    It was for a good cause.
    This wasn't the pettiness of Eternal Night.
    It was for her, to ensure she would never be lonely.
    The one that she loved.

I can't love somepony that hurts everypony that I love. Everypony that she loves.

She would understand.
    In time. This was the best thing for her.
    Yes, this was the right thing to do.

As she advanced towards home, the last bastion of Ponyville, her own justifications sounded hollow.

Even to her.
    Now, can I demand that you turn this into a fic? A FIC. I DEMAND A FULL LENGTH VERSION.
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-08-06 at 07:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Now, can I demand that you turn this into a fic? A FIC. I DEMAND A FULL LENGTH VERSION.
    Last post before I go, because I have a moment. Don't expect me back until late this evening:

I do intend to turn this into a full-fledged fiction, absolutely, but I'm going to write out the last few of the excerpts before I turn it into a fic, because I'm finding this method of writing really interesting, and it seems to be working really well for my creative process.

So I'm going to see this through, and then start developing it into a full story. I think it'll be stronger if I do that.