New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: New World IC, Group 1

"You're right, this group has morals." Genevieve takes a seat, and orders a good wine and a decent meal.

"One of these morals is good work for good money. We'll do the first. You have the second ready, I assume?"
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

"So many questions, but none unexpected. Lets start with the most important, your reward. How does holding a favor from a powerful man sound? Yes, I didn't think it would do either. The slaves are worth about 100 gold a head, so I'll pay you that much to ensure they never reach their destination. 2,000 gold in all. Plus the run of my fest hall here, as long as you need it. Consider that a deposit on future arrangements." He portions out wine from a just delivered bottle, a rather good one judging from the thick layer of dust, and offers each of you a glass. Meanwhile, a barmaid returns with your various orders.

"As for the prisoners, they're all skraelings. The city does sell some criminals into bonds, but rarely to the guano mines. They're a death sentence, and the law prescribes more public methods of execution. Nobody cares what happens to the skraelings anyway, since half the people don't even think they're sentient. The slave pen is on the north end of town past the wall--the wealthier sort housed inside wouldn't put up with the smell. Just cut them loose and they'll run off, I'm sure."

"The guards are mostly punks and street toughs, a half dozen of them. The only two you need to worry about are Flinn, an old bare-knuckle brawler of some local repute, and Boyle, the mine's head of human resources. Boyle's a sorcerer specializing in non-lethal crowd control; it wouldn't do to kill the labor force before you can work them to death."

"As for the convenience of your arrival, yes and no The slavers were waiting for your ship, as much of the food in its hold is earmarked for the mine. Half their guards will be spending the night hauling that shipment across town, so the attack was always scheduled for the night of your boat's arrival. Now you being on board, that was good fortune. I could manage it with my existing manpower, but I'm always scouting for talent."

"And lastly, what do I get out of it. Hmm. As I said, my good friend will gain control of the guano mines, and having friends in high places is always valuable. I have other plans, of course, but you'll have to prove yourself in this task first. Suffice to say that my goals, my purse, and your mores are aligned in this matter."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-08-22 at 11:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huril nods along as the man talks, trying the wine, and finding it to his liking. "Alright, one more, why do you mine bat droppings?"
    ~ZA

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Jon nods at the man's explanation. "Seems straight-forward enough." He ignores the wine and leans forward. "Half up front. You know us. We don't know you. A reasonable token of good faith"
    Let's see how he reacts to that. Don't care about the money, just need him off balance to see what he does.

Spoiler
    Show
    sense motive at +0
    Last edited by stack; 2011-08-23 at 08:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125

"Reasonable enough to ask for coin up front." Genevieve agrees with Jon. "Though I doubt you'd waste this good a vintage on people you just met unless you were looking forward to a long-term mutually beneficial relationship."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy! (1d20+8)[26]
    She thoroughly enjoys her wine.
    Last edited by Lost Demiurge; 2011-08-23 at 09:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"No thank you."Mika holds up a hand and shakes her head to the offer of the wine. It makes sense. And would be nice to help and to have help.

"If it is outside of the city, then would there be problems with coming back into the city, especially late at night? Does the city have a curfew or would guards question us coming back into town? I just don't know the customs of the city."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Huril's question give the the fop some pause, and flash of incredulity peaks out from behind his jovial mask so quickly you almost miss it. "For the saltpeter, my good swordsman. And if you see a fruit bat the size of a five-year old, don't molest it. Killing them is a high offense."

Jon and Genevieve's demands only widen his grin. "I can see your judgement is as fine as your taste." He says to the diminutive gunslinger, as he refills her glass, "And asking for money up front must mean that you've already agreed to the task." Yet another rather burly servant appears, struggling with a small coffer, "I'll provide a room to count it, if you wish. It's not like you can skip town with the down payment; there's nowhere to go."

He also has an answer prepared for Mika's more practical inquiry, "The guards can be bribed to open the gate after sundown, but that also means that they can be bribed to tell some one who they opened it for. No, I've prepared a longboat to take you along the river and back. No one will get close enough to see your faces until you're ashore. Speaking of which, I'd suggest some masks or veils to hide your identities. The law around here isn't especially motivated, but even they will follow up a positive eyewitness."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-08-23 at 06:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, is salt peter explosive... like should we not use torches? I've never been to a mine full of it.

Tyr was curious if there was a extra chance of danger due to all the guano.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

"Worry not, Huril. If all goes to plan, you'll free the slaves before they even leave for the mine."

10. - Top - End - #130

BlueKnightGuy

Mika looks a little at the money box. Wow, does he trust us this much to succeed already? Or is he just that rich?

"Alright, I do not have any more questions except for when does it start?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Nordham see's Mika's eyes widen at the coffer, "I hope you're not thinking of running with the money. There's no other cities withing walking distance, and, being the harbor master and all, no one leaves by sea without my knowledge. As for the when of it, it's up to you. You'll have trouble getting back before morning if you leave much after midnight, though."

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaakon View Post
    Nordham see's Mika's eyes widen at the coffer, "I hope you're not thinking of running with the money. There's no other cities withing walking distance, and, being the harbor master and all, no one leaves by sea without my knowledge. As for the when of it, it's up to you. You'll have trouble getting back before morning if you leave much after midnight, though."
    "Well, I see no reason that we can't finish our meal then head that way. Take us a while to get into position... We'll have to stop by the market and get masks and bandannas, first, though. So not long." Genevieve muses.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

"Plenty of time for a meal and a shave. We have to be civilized about our acts of banditry. We just got off the ship and we have all day before we need to think about getting into position. We should be able to leave this afternoon and have more than enough time to get set while we still have light. We are spending all night in the jungle, no need to spend all day as well." Jon avails himself of the wine. Services are on the house. Be discourteous to refuse them entirely.

14. - Top - End - #134

BlueKnightGuy

Mika looks a bit surprised by the comment. Holding up a hand "No, no. Not that. I just wasn't expecting such an offer right when we got to town. That is all. And I agree, earlier might be better than later."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

"Well the boat is waiting for you. Tell me when you're ready to leave and I'll send someone to guide you. There are a dozen street vendors who will sell you crude disguises on the way.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Jon stands up. "Well, if that's settled, let's see to our needs. Meet back here in two hours?"

He glances over to the other facilities, longing for a bath and shave after the journey. Fresh food would also be a welcome relief after ship stores.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, two hours should be enough time for us to get ready. Assuming no one objects.
    Tyr said as he thought about finally washing up. The Sea is not good for one's hygiene.

18. - Top - End - #138

"Good enough fer me," Huril said, downing the rest of the wine. He didn't mind being dirty, though his hands were still a bit bloody from the bite to his forearm. 'Maybe I should clean up a bit...'
    ~ZA

19. - Top - End - #139

BlueKnightGuy

Sounds like a plan. See you guys then. I'm washing." Mika gets up and leaves the group. Heading for her room to drop her stuff off. Then straight to a bath. All this is done with a smile at the thought of finally not being forced to use her breeze inorder to just breathe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Due to a need to be subtle, I will stop recasting breeze for the mission.
    Last edited by Kon Lesh; 2011-08-24 at 04:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Six weeks of salt and grime are pleasantly washed away in the hot baths of the inn. Aside from a second studying the disgusting tint of the used bath water (a disturbing reminder of how long it's been since a proper wash), you're able to truly relax for the first time since the voyage began. After a quick trip to the barber, you're back in the dinning hall for a lavish meal of shell fish, roasted pork, and a number of native vegetables you're unfamiliar with, on the house.

With the agreed upon hour looming, Nordham returns to the table with the gangly youth who attempted to pick Jon's pocket. "Peter here will guide you to the boat. He'll also follow you at a discrete distance and report to me when the job is done, just don't expect him to do any fighting. If you've any more questions, now's the time."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-08-24 at 05:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Jon's attitude toward the world is greatly improved after availing himself of their hosts hospitality. Didn't expect they would be able to do fish like that. Almost as good as home.

After re-checking his gear, he looks to his companions. "I suppose we ought see to our...concealment. I think a bandana and poncho or cloak should suffice."

22. - Top - End - #142

BlueKnightGuy

Mmmm...bath, food, bit of privacy...A girl can get spoiled. Don't know how Aquans can be in the water for so long. As Mika muses over the difference between land and ship life.

"Sounds simply enough, Jon. That should work fine."

23. - Top - End - #143

Taking his bath quickly and getting his shave left plenty of time for ale and food while waiting for the others.

"I suppose I'll jus' be needin' the bandanna," He said, thrusting his thumb over his shoulder to point to his cloak he was already wearing.
    ~ZA

24. - Top - End - #144

Genevieve returns from her bath, feeling the funk of forty thousand years (Give or take a few decamillenia) erased. Buckling her armor on as she goes, she sits with the others and runs a brush through her hair. She takes a few minutes to crack open the coffer that the harbormaster gave them, and run her fingers through the coins. She replaces them and looks to Huril.

"Well, the whole idea is to wear things that aren't easily identifiable once we return, so I'd recommend putting your own cloak in your pack if you want to keep it, and getting a temporary one. But that's just me, I'm paranoid like that."

She polishes off a slice of lime pie, and leans back to look at Peter. "Alright. We're full of good food, the money's been counted, and the mission's clear. Lead on kid, and we'll grab some disguising clothes along the way."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

"The issue is more to do with the fact that it's YOUR cloak. I'm not trying to stop them from them seeing my armor, I'm stopping them from identifying me after. I may not know much of subterfuge, but I think hiding your identity is fairly important."

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I can pick up a darker cloak/hood at the town. Should we use codenames if we think someone might hear us?

Tyr said after a refreshing bath and a tasty meal.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'll deduct the money and just buy a new cloak/mask

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

You follow Peter through the streets, still teeming despite the late hour, and easily find a number of street vendors ready to sell what you need.

The shopping completed, the young man leads you to a long boat, tied up at a landing behind a private warehouse. The incoming tide slackens the river's current, and you row upstream through the low mist without much effort. Peter sits at the stern, steering the boat ashore at the sight of some landmark. Another boy is waiting there to grab the longboat's mooring line, and swiftly ties it off to a scrubby tree. The two youths confer for a moment, then Peter addresses you.

"Aye madams and sirs, two of the six hired guards have gone back to fetch the food shipment. The rest are up and about, though, as are the two men from the mine. The slave pen's about a hundred paces that way. Like the boss said, I'll be keeping out of site and sending a signal when the job's done." he grabs a cloth covered crate from the boat, revealing it to be a caged pigeon. "Come back here when it's finished. Scrubs here will stand guard to make sure no one borrows our ride."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you like, describe your disguises and plan your approach. I'll post a map once you get closer
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-08-25 at 05:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Jon steps out of the boar onto the shore. His newly purchased, loose cloak conceals his armor while providing a substantial hood, casting a deep shadow over his face, the lower portion of which is covered by a gray handkerchief. Both garments where chosen for being unremarkable are completely expendable.

He stands near the tree, triple checking his revolver's loading and ensuring he can draw both his weapons freely. He speaks quietly to the others, "Shall we reconnoiter?"

29. - Top - End - #149

BlueKnightGuy

"Agreed. No need to just jump right in." As Mika pulls up her own handkerchief to cover her face. Her black cloak covers her entire body, draping down to her ankles. She finally pulls up her own hood to hide her face and the rest of her hair which couldn't be tucked under her clothes.

30. - Top - End - #150

"Lets get to goin'," Huril said, pulling himself out of the boat with a grunt. He wore a simple green, hooded cloak and a faded red bandanna across his mouth, hiding his grin. He preferred his gold embroidered black cape, but this one had a rustic charm to it that wasn't lots on him. He had his chain under his shirt, over his under shirt, hiding it from passing glances, but his scimitar was hard to conceal, but he hung it farther along his hip, in an attempt to be discreet.
    ~ZA