New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice XX: One X Short of an Awesome Title

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    The problem with a lot of the "My X" descriptions is that you'd have to consider what you are to that person. It's like if I called someone "my slave." That would mean that I am that person's "master." "Boyfriend" and "girlfriend" are (or, should be) on similar levels, so it's alright to say "my boy/girlfriend." "Wench" doesn't have that application.
    'Tis true. "My bf/gf" has the same sort of connotation as "my partner", which implies no ownership at all, it just has a gender attached to it. In fact, I'd lump it together with "my sister/brother/father/mother/great-grand-uncle/friend/associate/coworker". It's just an associative statement. None of these things implies any sort of ownership either. It just describes how the person is related to you.

That being said, if you really want to avoid any potential interpretation of ownership, you could always just say "we're dating" or "we're together", though those don't necessarily have the same specificity as "This is my girlfriend, June".
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

2. - Top - End - #932
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I suspect numerous such women could be found on this very forum.
    Now if you can find one that both knows what doxie means and doesn't kill you for it, you've got a keeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #933
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Maybe I've just seen too many men who do think that their girlfriend is "theirs" rather than an equal. I am definitely not saying that anyone who uses "my girlfriend" is amongst them, only that I prefer not to use it where possible to avoid any connotations of ownership and promote equality between us even on the language level (which is often very hard in English!).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #934
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's a phrase specifically designed for that situation. 'My better half'.

5. - Top - End - #935

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by term1nally s1ck View Post
    There's a phrase specifically designed for that situation. 'My better half'.
    Pfft. Like humans form lasting, meaningful relationships with their inferiors.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm annoyed as heck right now.

The past few years I've gotten to spend in this thread being all on my high horse about a lifetime of being single, and now I don't get to do it anymore. My perfect streak ruined forever.

Sucks.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aw snap, man. I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you...do you wanna talk about it? We're here if you want to vent. At length. Leaving out absolutely nothing that could be considered relevant or interesting.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #938
    Troll in the Playground

I... Congrats?

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Aw snap, man. I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you...do you wanna talk about it? We're here if you want to vent. At length. Leaving out absolutely nothing that could be considered relevant or interesting.
    I believe he is lamenting that he is no longer single

Anyways! I am excited. I get to meet/have a first date with a girl I've been talking to recently next weekend I'm taking her out to a local festival, hopefully we get to see the fireworks together

And the best part is, she only lives a couple of suburbs away from me, and we have that many things in common that I can't really see us not getting along well in person.

It's been a year since my last girlfriend dumped me, so I think this will be an awesome opportunity <3
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

10. - Top - End - #940

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    I believe he is lamenting that he is no longer single
    Read the last line of my post again. I was playing along, silly!

Anyways! I am excited. I get to meet/have a first date with a girl I've been talking to recently next weekend I'm taking her out to a local festival, hopefully we get to see the fireworks together

And the best part is, she only lives a couple of suburbs away from me, and we have that many things in common that I can't really see us not getting along well in person.

It's been a year since my last girlfriend dumped me, so I think this will be an awesome opportunity <3
    Have fun!
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #941
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just had another date with the girl I mentioned. We watched day[9] streaming skyrim for 8 hours, at her place. (And probably only actually watched maybe 6-7 hours of that...)

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post

The past few years I've gotten to spend in this thread being all on my high horse about a lifetime of being single, and now I don't get to do it anymore. My perfect streak ruined forever.

Sucks.
    Hey, don't feel too bad - if you got a nice catch, it might not be too much of a step down from the high horse, and you get a whole new slew of experiences to satisfy scientific curiosity. You should be alright

'sides, don't worry, I have your back, I can poke around and substitute a bit if you want .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-11-12 at 07:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #943

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post

Sucks.
    So I guess you won't be able to say "Though I've never dated before." while giving advice.
    Currently GMing:
    Warcraft: Quest for the Prismatic Blades / IC / OOC

14. - Top - End - #944

NecromancerGuy

So, what is the etiquette for getting back into contact with a friend who through moving away, one's grown distant from but now you've started talking again more regularly?

Considering I fudged everything up horribly by almost unanimous agreement this past summer, I'm curious to know how one is supposed to proceed to avoid whatever mistakes I had made previously.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-11-12 at 04:27 PM.
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I suddenly don't have a date now. Going back to being depressed now for actually letting myself have hope again, kthnx bai.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!

16. - Top - End - #946
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I suddenly don't have a date now. Going back to being depressed now for actually letting myself have hope again, kthnx bai.
    Sad face. I imagine you have one.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, no, I really do feel more stupid than sad :V I've become so accustomed to being alone now that I should have realized that it was too good to be true :V

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

*mentally composes response*

*sees avatar*

*thought process crashes*

Is your avatar a human Rainbow Dash?

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, it is.

And I guess now that I've had a few hours to process, I guess I'm okay with her just suddenly up and telling me that she's too busy to ever speak to me again. It just feels like an excuse. Even if she didn't want to date, I could have been a friend ._.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Troll in the Playground

Source?

Also: *hug* Having been in a somewhat similar situation, I can sympathize.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I don't actually remember where I got the original picture, but it's cropped out of a picture of Fluttershy doing Rainbow Dash's hair in all different styles.

And well, it just sounds so... convenient. Last girl I talked to did the exact same thing. Everything went fine for a couple of weeks when we were just talking, but then I asked to meet them, and suddenly, she gets a whole lot of work/uni/family issues and can just never have the time to speak to me ever again.

And then their profile reappears on the dating site a few days later ._.

It's just a little depressing, that's all.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah. As I said, I've been in a similar situation. Admittedly, not lately (I am apparently the cutest thing on four paws) but I know what it's like to be dodged away from like that.

But, it's most likely not you. I don't really know you well enough to be certain, but you like MLP, which speaks levels about yourself. Just on some basic interaction, you don't seem particularly off putting. Unless there's some major problem I'm not picking up on (just to be clear, you don't have a third nipple, do you?), you've just had some bad luck.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to think I'm a pretty cool dude, and that I don't come across as creepy. And man, I wish I had a 3rd nipple. That would be a great conversation piece.

It's just annoying how it's the same bad luck every single time, lately.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

Found the source on the avatar. It's awesome. X3

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Found the source on the avatar. It's awesome. X3
    Linky? white text
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #956

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Linky? white text
    Found it!
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

I like shorthair best.

28. - Top - End - #958

NecromancerGuy

I hate when that happens. The lying and false hope is at least 20% worse than rejection alone. I'm sorry, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    Found it!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh dear. The theoretical zero point.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-11-13 at 08:42 PM.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I hate when that happens. The lying and false hope is at least 20% worse than rejection alone. I'm sorry, dude.
    Eh. I'll be fine in a couple of days. I don't think she was lying though... well, at least I hope she wasn't. It does irritate me that she's suddenly now too busy AFTER I just asked her if we could meet up... and that apparantly, she's too busy to even be friends or anything. Especially because I've had the exact same excuse from the last few girls I've been talking to... and they've all given it within a couple days of me asking to meet up. Funny, huh?

Sigh.

30. - Top - End - #960

NecromancerGuy

Generally agreeing to a date and then reneging that there was ever an agreement is considered to be lying. Unless it's to me, in which case opinion is easily divided.
    Homebrew