New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1548
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Q257

For spells like fabricate that affect 10 cubic feet per level, is that a 10' x 10' x 10' cube? Or is that 10 cubes that are all 1' x 1' x 1'?

I am credible! Proof below!

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I came up with a line of reasoning and resulting numbers and they turned out to be the same as JoeYounger's.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Barbarian in the Playground

A257
    10' x 10'x 10' cube.

Couldn't find it being RAW, but every single DM I've played with added an "or equivalent" clause to the area, meaning that it doesn't have to be a cube, as long as its total area doesn't surpass the cube's area.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks Larpus! We've always played with it being a 10 x 10 x 10 cube as well, but yesterday I was looking into what I could fabricate and it clicked on me that my group may have been playing "wrong" for years! lol

I am credible! Proof below!

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I came up with a line of reasoning and resulting numbers and they turned out to be the same as JoeYounger's.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Q258

Text of Cleave:
    As a standard action, you can make a single attack at your full base attack bonus against a foe within reach. If you hit, you deal damage normally and can make an additional attack (using your full base attack bonus) against a foe that is adjacent to the first and also within reach. You can only make one additional attack per round with this feat. When you use this feat, you take a –2 penalty to your Armor Class until your next turn.

Text of Cleaving Finish:
    Benefit: If you make a melee attack, and your target drops to 0 or fewer hit points as a result of your attack, you can make another melee attack using your highest base attack bonus against another opponent within reach. You can make only one extra attack per round with this feat.

The text of cleave says if the attack hits, you may make another. It doesn't mention if you drop them to 0 you suddenly lose your chance to make another. So Cleaving Finish seems redundant.

Can Cleave be used if the target is dropped to 0?

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ettin in the Playground

A 258

Yes. Cleave's only requirement is "if you hit." Both feats could be used in the same round, even. The differences don't make one or the other redundant.

A) Cleave requires you to declare beforehand, inflicts a -2 penalty on your AC, and becomes your action for the round - just the attack and the cleave attack, you forgo your iterative attacks.

B) Cleaving Finish doesn't need to be declared, and simply gives you an additional attack if you drop your foe. Note that the additional attack is at your highest attack bonus. So, for example, if you were an 11th level fighter with this feat and dropped a foe with your third iteratiev attack, you'd get a new attack at your highest base attack bonus.

C) Note, too, that Cleave requires the extra target to be adjacent to the primary target and within your reach; Cleaving Finish, on the other hand, just requires the extra target to be within your reach.

[opinion]
    Cleaving Finish is a better feat. But then, it ought to be since it has steeper pre-reqs.
    [/opinion]
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Q259:

Can the Druid Wildshape class feature be stacked? I don't mean the bonuses, obviously, a bear turning into another bear doesn't get double bear strength bonuses, but could you at, say, level eight, wildshape into a bear and then wildshape into a bird, allowing you to end the bird wildshape effect and turn immediately into a bear?

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Dwarf in the Playground

A259 -
    Quote Originally Posted by PRD
    Wild Shape (Su): At 4th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the beast shape I spell, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard action and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. The form chosen must be that of an animal with which the druid is familiar.

Underlined portions of this text excerpt are not present in the original and have been placed by me as a means of emphasis.

Taking the underlined sentence, a Druid must first end the original Wildshape and then activate the second. Further, the sentence following the underlined supports this by including "to animal or back" in parenthesis; though, arguably, one could emphasize the latter sentence rather than the former sentence as a means to allow for skipping the need to return to the Druid's original form (with an added emphasis on "to animal"). However, this type of reading does not appear to be inline with the previous sentence nor the "likely" intent.
    Last edited by Baka Nikujaga; 2012-08-10 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Grammar! Why?! Why did I only catch the mistake now?
    I should add something more productive here...

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A257 correction

"10 cubic feet" and "a 10 foot cube" are two very different things. 10 cubic feet is any volume that has a total size equivalent to 10 cubes that are each 1' x 1' x 1'. This could be 1' x 1' x 10', 2' x 2' x 2.5', or any other combination of dimensions you like that multiply out to the same total volume. It does not even need to be in a rectangular prism form - you could do a sphere, a giant bow shape, a crazy tangle of loose string, etc.

A 10 foot cube has a volume of 1000 cubic feet. It is also rather less flexible about how you distribute and shape the volume.

Fabricate gives 10 cubic feet per level, not a 10 foot cube per level. Sorry, but you're stuck with the smaller volume. You do at least get to shape it any way you want.

Q260

What ways are there for a Summoner who is mounted on his eidolon to give his enemies game mechanics reasons to attack his eidolon instead of him despite the Summoner's AC being lower than the eidolon's? The Summoner in question is level 11, and Synthesist is not an option.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #1149

BlueKnightGuy

Q261

Does a person under the effect of invisibility or vanish become visible if they use aid another to give an ally a bonus to AC.

10. - Top - End - #1150

RangerGuy

A261

I say no. Invisibility says "If the subject attacks directly". Aid another says "You make an attack roll against AC 10." Who are you attacking? No one.

Q262

Boarding gaff is a double weapon. It's also a pole. Phalanx Soldier allows me to use any pole or spear in one hand as long as I use a shield. How does Two-Weapon Fighting works now? Or it doesn't at all?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

11. - Top - End - #1151

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post

Q262

Boarding gaff is a double weapon. It's also a pole. Phalanx Soldier allows me to use any pole or spear in one hand as long as I use a shield. How does Two-Weapon Fighting works now? Or it doesn't at all?
    A262
    The Boarding Gaffe would work the same way a Quarterstaff would; mainly, you can't TWF with it when wielding it with one hand(though you can still make single attacks).

12. - Top - End - #1152

Planetar

Q263:

Can an Oracle/Paladin with the Sickened mercy and Legalistic curse use the mercy to remove the curse's Sickened condition in the rare event she breaks her word?

13. - Top - End - #1153

BlueKnightGuy

A263

By the book, an oracle's curse cannot be removed or dispelled without the aid of a deity. So unless a deity (not one of his followers) allows it there is nothing you can do for those 24 hours except try to meet the promise that you broke.

14. - Top - End - #1154

A263
    Yes, but only for an hour per use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder SRD
    A mercy can remove a condition caused by a curse, disease, or poison without curing the affliction. Such conditions return after 1 hour unless the mercy actually removes the affliction that causes the condition.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q264

First time making a Divine Caster, so do I have to pick the spells they know as they level up, or can I mix and match daily (when I prepare spells) or on the fly (like just picking from the spell list in combat)?
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

16. - Top - End - #1156

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    Q264

First time making a Divine Caster, so do I have to pick the spells they know as they level up, or can I mix and match daily (when I prepare spells) or on the fly (like just picking from the spell list in combat)?
    That depends on the class. Which are you playing?
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

17. - Top - End - #1157

Quote Originally Posted by powerdemon View Post
    That depends on the class. Which are you playing?
    Druid, Decay Subdomain.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1158

A 264
    Druids know all the spells for the spell levels they can cast. You choose what spells you want to prepare each day, and how many instances of those spells. They cast similar to wizards, except they begin knowing all spells for that spell level. (some odd spells not in the Core rulebook might require some more work)
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Troll in the Playground

Q265
    Does the Elf Blood racial feature of Half Elves allow them to choose human or elf favored class bonuses instead of their own? It let's them count as Humans or Elves for the effects of any effect related to race, and the alternate bonuses say "[...]available to all characters of this race[...]". so....
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

20. - Top - End - #1160

A265
    I often struggle with that bit.

So far, I was unable to find any RAW text in favor or against it, I'm tempted to say that the RAI is a "no" because that seems more likely, but from a personal interpretation of rules and mechanics, I'd say "yes" because it just makes more sense and makes the blood thing actually relevant and interesting.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Q 266:
    Under the Beast Rider archetype for the Cavalier, it lists (among others) the Auroch as a potential mount for a fourth level medium sized character. However, it also says that 1: A cavalier's mount is treated as an animal companion and 2: That a medium sized Cavalier must choose a mount of size Large or Huge. At fourth level, an auroch treated as an animal companion is still size medium. So, can a Beast Rider choose one or not?
    Last edited by Lord Tyger; 2012-08-19 at 02:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1162

Q 267

Can you ready a standard action and then take a free action as a part of it? For example, if you have Quick Draw, is it possible to ready an action to draw and shoot a gun?
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

23. - Top - End - #1163

A267
    Don't see why not, you're just doing your allowed amount of actions within a round, even if the order of said actions is not straight-forward.

EDIT: Only caveat is that per the RAW of readied actions, you can only ready one action; however, Quickdraw allows you to draw your weapon at any time during combat, so you don't draw your weapon as part of the readied action, but just before it takes place instead.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2012-08-20 at 07:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ettin in the Playground

Can a Necromancer Wizard activate a Channel Focus?

25. - Top - End - #1165

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    A267
    Don't see why not, you're just doing your allowed amount of actions within a round, even if the order of said actions is not straight-forward.

EDIT: Only caveat is that per the RAW of readied actions, you can only ready one action; however, Quickdraw allows you to draw your weapon at any time during combat, so you don't draw your weapon as part of the readied action, but just before it takes place instead.
    A 267 continued

Hm, I actually have a feeling that by RAW you can't. By RAW you can only ready 1 action, and most actions don't explicitly say they can be combined with other actions. Now, you could ready a move action and (as long as you have +1 BAB) draw a weapon as part of that, because that's specifically called out as being a free action that can be combined with a move action. But Quick Drawing and firing would just be separate actions. So, unfortunately, no out of combat uses like "I ready an action to draw and shoot this guy". Which is why I guess feats like Betrayer and 3.5's Flick of the Wrist were created.

Can any other rules experts confirm/deny this?
    Last edited by Wonton; 2012-08-21 at 03:52 AM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Titan in the Playground

Q 269 If I have a creature with three natural attacks and the muilty attack feat, does it add it's full Str mod to all it's attacks, or only to one of them and then half to the others?
    "I Burn!"

27. - Top - End - #1167

Q270

If attempting a ranged combat maneuver (Like disarming or tripping with, say, a bow or firearm) do you still use your Strength modifier, or your Dex modifier?
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1168

A267+
    That's true, I went again over the rules in combat, there wasn't any specifics on the relationship of readied actions and free actions.

So, by strict RAW, you can only take free actions in your turn and a readied action being triggered is not considered part of your turn. So under that interpretation, it's impossible to do that; however this interpretation goes further and also renders you unable to say anything during the readied action, even a simple "Now!" to get your allies to attack wouldn't be allowed.

On a slightly more RAI level, it seems sensible that the meaning here is that you'd be able to take a free action whenever you'd be allowed to make an action bigger than immediate; but that's mostly an interpretation to allow "rule of cool" moments to be mechanically possible (such as the mentioned draw and shoot scenario).

Tl;dr...indeed, by RAW no you can't, but wouldn't be out of reality to allow such a thing (considering you have Quickdraw and all).

A268
    If you mean a Wizard specialized in necromancy, no he can't as he lacks the necessary Channel ability.

A269
    Multiattack only changes the penalty to attack rolls when using secondary natural weapons, so the Str penalty (half bonus instead of full) remains in effect as normal.

But on the specific question, it depends.

If, for example, it's an Alchemist with Feral Mutagen, all the 3 attacks are primary attacks, so they all have full Str damage and BAB and wouldn't need Multiattack to begin with unless you're planning on mixing weapon attacks as well.

A270
    Couldn't find anything specific, but logic would say that you'd use Dex as the success of the maneuver depends on aim not power and a small FAQ on Weapon Finesse says something along the lines "if you have this feat, you trade your Dex and Str bonuses on maneuvers that actually use weapons to be made, normally only trip, disarm and sunder", which is exactly the case.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

So, if I had an Sythesist Summoner and only pick things that are listed as Primary attacks for my Eilodon, I'd still get my full Str to the attacks?
    "I Burn!"

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ettin in the Playground

Q271:
    Can a magus use spell strike with the cantrip "light"?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]