New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1548
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

A284
    Let "P" be "Player" and "M" be "Monster"

1. P| |M -> P|M|
    No attack of opportunity. The monster did not leave a threatened square.
    2. The swarm rules specifically called out a swarm entering an opponents square provokes an attack of opportunity. As far as I am aware, this applies to all creatures entering another creature's space.
    3. The swarm provokes an attack of opportunity. The swarm left a threatened square.
    4. The swarm provokes an attack of opportunity for leaving a threatened square.

A285

Yes, it provokes an attack of opportunity.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

Does applying the the Caster Level boost of Gifted Adept (or similar trait) to Animate Dead, effect...
    q286 How much undead can be created ?
    q287 How many undead can be controlled?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-09-05 at 05:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Banned

Goblin

Q288

Level Adjustment in Pathfinder is, if I understand correctly, number of Racial Hit Dices race starts with + it' CR. So if monster race doesn't start with any hit dices and it's CR is below 1 (say Orc, Goblin and Hobgoblin, whose entries have CR 1/3 or 1/2), does that mean it has no LA? Or did I got something wrong?

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground

A288

1. Pathfinder does not have Level Adjustment.
    2. Pathfinder only has lose rules regarding playing creatures with racial HD, tentatively suggesting using CR as is effective class levels, with an altered LA buyoff system.

Monsters are not designed with the rules for players in mind...GMs should carefully consider any monster PCs in their groups. Some creatures are simply not suitable for play as PCs, due to their powers or role in the game. As monster characters progress, GMs should closely monitor whether such characters are disruptive or abusive to the rules and modify them as needed to improve play.
    3. If a monster doesn't start with any racial hit die, in general it has what a 3.5 player would call "LA +0." Orc, Goblin and Hobgoblins would all start at level 1 with a level of a class. A nice list of these races intended for PC play can be found here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Be aware that a few "LA +0" races are not intended for PC play, most infamously the Drow Noble, which I believe the developers have stated in an FAQ should essentially be given an "LA +1" because of their significant advantages.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2012-09-07 at 07:48 AM.
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Barbarian in the Playground

A286&287
    It's exactly what it says on the tin, you cast it as if you were one level higher.

Ergo, you can create +2HD of undead with a single casting (twice your CL, make it quad if you also use desecrate) and can control +4HD of undead (4HD per caster level).

Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    Regardless of the type of undead you create with this spell, you can't create more HD of undead than twice your caster level with a single casting of animate dead. The desecrate spell doubles this limit.

The undead you create remain under your control indefinitely. No matter how many times you use this spell, however, you can control only 4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level. If you exceed this number, all the newly created creatures fall under your control, and any excess undead from previous castings become uncontrolled. You choose which creatures are released. Undead you control through the Command Undead feat do not count toward this limit.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q289

Is there a skill that will tell you the rough level of an NPC? I could have sworn that sense motive would give you basic info like "dont mess with this guy" Or "You got this real easy" Or "You don't stand a chance" but I cant find anything about it. Am I making this up?

I am credible! Proof below!

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I came up with a line of reasoning and resulting numbers and they turned out to be the same as JoeYounger's.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

A289

There was a use for Sense Motive like that in 3.5, but I don't believe it's been translated to Pathfinder. Remember that you can use a Knowledge check to identify a creature; DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster’s CR, though the DM is allowed to adjust it based on how "common" the monster is, suggesting 5+CR for goblins and 15+CR for unique creatures like the Tarrasque. If you can identify it, you can probably get a rough idea of how powerful it is based on how you rolled (i.e. You identified it with a roll of 14, probably CR 4 or below).

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

Q290

Large weapons cost twice the listed price; does this also double the cost of magic enhancements applied to them?

Edit: AQ290

Weapons for Unusually Sized Creatures: The cost of weapons for creatures who are neither Small nor Medium varies (see Equipment). The cost of the masterwork quality and any magical enhancement remains the same.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2012-09-08 at 11:11 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Banned

Goblin

Q291

At which levels do characters gain Ability Score increase?

Q292

Can Lycanthrope or similiar creatre with levels in Sorceror cast in their Hybrid form?

Q293

Are there any official rules of creating your own Lycantrope or similair creature, say werewasp? Would 3.5 werewasp template need any changes in order to work with Pathfinder rules?

Q294

If I have several different creatures with different CRs attacking the party, is ecounter's CR equal their combined CR + number of creatures bonuses as determined in table: CR Equivalence or their average CR + number of creatures bonuses from the table? Say I have Giant Wasp (CR 3), Giant Hornet (CR 5) and Vapor Wasp (CR 4) is their CR equal 15 (12 +3) or 7 (12/3 +3)

Yeah, I'm planning start my game by dropping the party into the literal hornet's nest, why are you asking?

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground

A291

At fourth level and every four levels thereafter (8, 12, 16, and 20).

A292

Yes; Change Shape mostly functions as Polymorph, which, when transforming into a humanoid form (such as the hybrid), functions as Alter Self, which allows spellcasting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Change Shape (Su)

A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume the appearance of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid), but retains most of its own physical qualities. The creature cannot change shape to a form more than one size category smaller or larger than its original form. This ability functions as a polymorph spell, the type of which is listed in the creature’s description, but the creature does not adjust its ability scores (although it gains any other abilities of the creature it mimics). Unless otherwise stated, it can remain in an alternate form indefinitely. Some creatures, such as lycanthropes, can transform into unique forms with special modifiers and abilities. These creatures do adjust their ability scores, as noted in their descriptions.
    See also the Transmutation [Polymorph] rules.

A293

The Lycanthrope template, though you could just update the 3.5 rules, depending on your playgroup's preferences.

Edit: Note that Hornets, like most insects, are technically Vermin and do not qualify for the Lycanthrope template. As DM, you can override it by Rule of Cool, but this is the RAW thread, after all.

Edit: A294 When using a few creatures of very similar CRs, the easiest thing to do is to simply add up their individual experience, in this case CR 3 (200 experience for a party of 4) + CR 4 (300 exp) + CR 5 (400 exp) = 900 exp. A CR 7 encounter is about 800 exp, so this is a little above a CR 7 encounter.

Yet Another Edit: Consider using the Young and Advanced templates to make quick CR math easier.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2012-09-08 at 03:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1211

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    A292

Yes; Change Shape mostly functions as Polymorph, which, when transforming into a humanoid form (such as the hybrid), functions as Alter Self, which allows spellcasting.

Spoiler
    Show
    A292 Additional

If you look at the Transmutation [Polymorph] page that Novawurmson provided then you will find that a part that will say

Spoiler
    Show

While in such a form, you cannot cast any spells that require material components (unless you have the Eschew Materials or Natural Spell feat), and can only cast spells with somatic or verbal components if the form you choose has the capability to make such movements or speak, such as a dragon. Other polymorph spells might be subject to this restriction as well, if they change you into a form that is unlike your original form (subject to GM discretion).

Since Lycanthropes are able to make the proper movements and speak then they can cast spells, as Novawurmson already said.

Now for the additional information:
    If you change into an animal, plant, or another being which can't make the proper movements or say actual words then you can't cast somatic or verbal spells. Thus your question about 'or similiar creatures' is a case by case basis. For example; A kitsune with the fox shape feat can change into a fox. While in this form he can't cast spells (unless you can remove the material, somatic, and verbal components).

As an additional note: Eschew materials remove the need for material component, Silent metamagic removes the need for verbal components and Still Metamagic removes the need for somatic components. Thus you can cast spells by applying these abilities even if you are in a different form.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Orc in the Playground

In regards to spells such as Alter Self, Giant Form, Shapechange etc., what are the rules regarding appearance?

I.e. say I take the form of a Frost Giant, do I look like the Frost Giant pictured in the book or do I look like my character as a Frost Giant?

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

A295 (Felandria's question)

From the Transmutation [Polymorph] explanation:

[A] polymorph spell transforms your physical body to take on the shape of another creature. While these spells make you appear to be the creature, granting you a +10 bonus on Disguise skill checks, they do not grant you all of the abilities and powers of the creature....

Unless otherwise noted, polymorph spells cannot be used to change into specific individuals. Although many of the fine details can be controlled, your appearance is always that of a generic member of that creature's type. Polymorph spells cannot be used to assume the form of a creature with a template or an advanced version of a creature.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2012-09-09 at 08:05 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q296

It's been stated in a Paizo FAQ that Weapon Finesse lets you substitute Dex for Strength for trip, disarm and sunder combat maneuvers. Does that also affect the Dervish Dance feat? And if so, would you need Weapon Fineese, or just Dervish Dance (Dawnflower Dervishes get Dervish for free at level 1)?

Spoiler
    Show
    Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, Weapon Finesse, Perform (dance) 2 ranks, proficient with scimitar.

Benefit: When wielding a scimitar with one hand, you can use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on melee attack and damage rolls. You treat the scimitar as a one-handed piercing weapon for all feats and class abilities that require such a weapon (such as a duelist’s precise strike ability). The scimitar must be for a creature of your size. You cannot use this feat if you are carrying a weapon or shield in your off hand.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

15. - Top - End - #1215

A296
    By technical RAW, not even Weapon Finesse is allowed to do that.

However, if your DM is already ok with WF granting such a bonus, I see no reason at all for not allowing Dervish Dance to do the same, it's even more restrictive in how you have to fight.

But that said, there is no clause for that anywhere, by RAW you'd need Agile Maneuvers.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2012-09-10 at 09:50 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

A296 - Disputed

From the Combat Maneuver Bonus rules:

When you attempt to perform a combat maneuver, make an attack roll and add your CMB in place of your normal attack bonus. Add any bonuses you currently have on attack rolls due to spells, feats, and other effects. These bonuses must be applicable to the weapon or attack used to perform the maneuver.
    From the Paizo FAQ on Weapon Finesse:

Weapon Finesse: If I have this feat, can I apply my Dex bonus to my combat maneuver checks instead of my Strength bonus?

It depends on what combat maneuver you're attempting. Disarm, sunder, and trip are normally the only kinds of combat maneuvers in which you’re actually using a weapon to perform the maneuver, and therefore the weapon’s bonuses apply to the roll. Therefore, if you're attempting a disarm, sunder, or trip maneuver, you can apply your Dex bonus instead of your Str mod on the combat maneuver check (assuming you're using a finessable weapon, of course). For other combat maneuvers, you use the normal rule for determining CMB (Str instead of Dex).

The Agile Maneuvers feat applies to all combat maneuvers, not just disarm, sunder, and trip, so it is still a useful option for a Dex-based creature that uses combat maneuvers.
    RAW and RAI, you add your Dex bonus to the CMB roll as long as you are making a disarm, trip, or sunder attempt with a finesse weapon and have the ability to substitute Dex for Str on your attack roll; Dervish Dance grants this ability, thus, a character with Dervish Dance can substitute Dex for Str in these situations.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

A296- Further Thoughts: What Paizo seems to be doing here is defining a combat maneuver check as an attack roll- which may or may not be an attack roll using a weapon, depending on which maneuver you are attempting.

18. - Top - End - #1218

@Novawurmson
    Good catch, I tried to find that snip of information to back my actual position that "yes you can", but as I couldn't find it I went with the RAW answer for what I could find.

Lessening the feat tax is always a good thing in my book.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ettin in the Playground

Q297
    Necromancer's Athame

A necromancer who selects the athame as his bonded object can use it to spontaneously convert any prepared wizard necromancy spell into any other wizard necromancy spell he knows; the desired spell must be of the same level or lower than the prepared spell.
    Magaambyan Arcanist

To prepare a spell with the evil descriptor, she must use two spell slots of that spell level to prepare the spell.
    Can a Necromancer wizard/Magaambyan Arcanist prepare Bestow Curse (for example) and convert it into Animate Dead (or any other [evil] necromancy spell) and use only a single spell slot because she never prepares the spell?

Q298
    As [evil] subschool isn't actually a restricted school, can the normal bonded object bonus be used to cast [evil] spells not of the Wizard's opposed schools?

Q299
    How the hell does that Magaambyan Arcanist line work with spells that have variable alignment descriptors chosen at time of casting (such as Planar Binding)
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-09-11 at 09:14 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 300 What wizard spells exist in Pathfinder that can force a flying creature to the ground?

Q 301 Is there a wizard school power equivalent to the sorcerer feat Eldritch Heritage?
    Last edited by masterjoda99; 2012-09-11 at 04:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ettin in the Playground

A300
    While no longer as effective with the fly rewrite, slowing a creature down to half speed forces a creature to move straight forward or crash. Similarly, Hold Person/Monster will also force landing.

By no means comprehensive.

A301
    Not that I am aware of

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

Q888
    When using the Lore Warden archetype in gestalt, does scholastic add another 2 skill points if your other class has more skill points than fighter?
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground

A888
    Gestalt is not a Pathfinder optional rule, so there is no true "RAW" answer.

However, looking at the Scholastic class feature:

Lore wardens gain 2 additional skill ranks each level. These ranks must be spent on Intelligence-based skills. All Intelligence-based skills are class skills for lore wardens.
    It would seem like every time you take a level of Lore Warden Fighter, you gain two bonus skill points, regardless of whatever is on the opposite side of the gestalt. It does not say "The Lore Warden Fighter gains 4+Int skills per level. This replaces the normal skills gained when taking a level of Fighter," it says that you gain additional skills with specific requirements on how they are to be spent.

However, it must be stressed that there is no true RAW answer because gestalt is a 3.5 concept that has not been formally updated to PF. Any time you are mixing 3.5 with PF, you should discuss with your DM exactly how the rules will be blended.

24. - Top - End - #1224

A297
    By RAW I'd say that you can, you're really not preparing the spell, you're spontaneously casting it, there is an actual difference.

Your DM might frown and rule otherwise though, and I can't really argue against the decision.

A298
    Yes. From the rules for bonded objects:
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    This spell cannot be modified by metamagic feats or other abilities.
    My interpretation is that it goes both ways, both in favor and against you.

A299
    Couldn't find any RAW ruling, but I can see some options, the one that I think to be the closest to RAW/RAI being number 1:

1. You simply can't use the [evil] version unless you planned for it and spend an extra slot. Effectively treating the [evil] version as a different spell than the [good/law/chaos] one.

2. You have to burn an extra spell at the time of casting, if there are no more spells available, you can't cast the [evil] version.

3. You simply can't use the [evil] version of the spell.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

Can we avoid skipping hundreds of numbers? It's hard enough keeping track of stuff in this thread...
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

Q302

When a wizard gains the bonus/reduced spell slots from his favored/prohibited schools, does it apply to spells from other classes?

Say, for example, he chooses conjuration as his barred school, and he takes a few levels in cleric. Will his cleric conjuration spells take up more spell slots?

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

27. - Top - End - #1227

A302
    No.

Couldn't find any specific text mentioning it, but think about it: the opposition school is to show things in arcane lore you failed to study in favor of your specialization school, makes no sense why it would do anything to spells you're channeling from divine origin and even to spells you learn in another trade (which are supposedly cast with other means as they have differences of their own) and also, you cannot use Wizard slots to prepare Cleric spells and vice-versa (your CL doesn't even stack!), so they're different beasts from the get-go.

Also, just imagine the ramifications of your opposition school messing with other spellcasting progressions you might get: it also means that the school slot would go to other progressions (and other progressions' extra slots go to Wizard's too), you ignore ASF by dipping Cleric or Magus, you can share any spell you know with your Eidolon, you'd be able to spend slots in a class to metamagic spells of the other, and so on...things get completely out of wack.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q303

Is it possible for a character with a light crossbow to take a five foot step back from a melee opponent, fire the crossbow at them, and reload, all in one turn? (Alternatively they could take the step back, reload, and then fire) This is without any feats or abilities or anything like that. The DM allowed it in our last session, but I was interested to know what others thought.

As the rulebook states it, the five foot step action can be taken as long as there is no other movement. While you don't actually move for it, reloading the crossbow is a move action. So yeah, thoughts?

29. - Top - End - #1229

A303

Yes, you can take a 5-foot step in the same turn that you load a crossbow. The condition for making a 5-foot step is that you do not move any distance. This does not prevent you from using a move action to do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by pfsrd
    You can move 5 feet in any round when you don't perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can't take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can't take a 5-foot step in the same round that you move any distance.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q304a: If using the Alchemist's Beastmorph archetype to turn adopt a different size category, does the equipment change size with him? Break?

Q304b: Does combining a beastmorph's variable size category with growth mutagen advanced mutagen from Master Chemyst allow the alchemist advance another size category? (Large + Growth = Huge?)

Q304c: How does a master chemyst get Dragon Mutagen at level 16? He has to have the Form of the Dragon extract and can't use level 6 extracts until caster level 16. Master Chemyst doesn't gain a caster level at 1st level. So why isn't this 18?

Q304d: Is beastmorph archetype a viable way for an alchemist to have an evolving half-dragon alter-ego?

Q305e: Can Fast Bombs be combined with Breath Weapon Bomb?
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-09-20 at 02:28 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.