New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn OOC Thread 18: Peek-a-boo style PAWNCH!

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    Ken already realized that when he spoke to Hibiki and asked if he was indeed part of the "cavalry."
    Oh? I missed that. It'll be interesting to see how/if it'll affect Ken's thinking if he ever meets Elder again. >=D Or Hibiki's, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by riccaru View Post
    I've been having thoughts about the lack of "captain" characters and Frozen gave me an idea. A split between the second division and the Onmitsukido, with Nao taking control of the onmitsukido.

Reasons to do this (In character) would be that Nao's extremely paranoid, the current setup lets the CG pull rank if he wants to against the Onmi, which should be operating outside the Gotei and only report to Central.

An OOC reason is that this allows us to sort of have a second division and have it be led while still allowing Moon to possibly come back and keep playing Yuuki.

Thoughts?
    I'd be in favor of making a short plot out of it, at least. We of Central 5 could vote on whether the suggestion gets passed, and the we could roleplay Nao's hearing out. Playing Central 5 is always fun.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #752
    Orc in the Playground

Hmmmm.

You know, it's not a bad idea per se, but Second is so identified with Onmitsukidou that if you split the two... what's left for Second to do?

I think it has merit, but it needs a little more detail.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a good question... but it's also something that might be better settled IC. Maybe by the initiative of some new or old 2nd Division player. *hint hint*

Possibly it'd simply become the "Elite" Division, kinda like opposite of 6th - it containts the best of the best of the best, giving them an environment where they can train unhindered by their lesser peers. Maybe sort of a "Captain factory" - in the future, it'd be the place you go to if you want to achieve Bankai and higher ranks.

Of course, we'd prolly only get a glimpse of that during our game, but still.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    *cracks knuckles*

"Clearly, someone needs to be taught some manners."

Also, waiting for one of the kids to have an epiphany that nasty Hollow lady who criticized them for being stupid wasn't lying when she told someone else was looking over them. >=D

Of course, I'd understand the kids would've forgotten it. They've got a lot on their plate.

EDIT: "Preferably in hearing range of dear Yamashiro-sensei. I'd love to see her have the creeps."
    Ah yes but that would mean something else.

They'd realize she was close enough to them to watch them all the time.

And Sora would end up doing something incredibly stupid. Like confronting Elder about it.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That's a good question... but it's also something that might be better settled IC. Maybe by the initiative of some new or old 2nd Division player. *hint hint*

Possibly it'd simply become the "Elite" Division, kinda like opposite of 6th - it containts the best of the best of the best, giving them an environment where they can train unhindered by their lesser peers. Maybe sort of a "Captain factory" - in the future, it'd be the place you go to if you want to achieve Bankai and higher ranks.

Of course, we'd prolly only get a glimpse of that during our game, but still.
    Or it could basically be the Gotei's Spec Ops team; their SEALs, Green Berets, Delta Force, what have you.

Sure, the Pajama Corps will end up the faceless killers bound only by the whim of the Central 46, accountable to no one but a group of hidebound bureaucrats who are likely almost all of noble birth and haven't had a hard day's work in their life. A group whose only purpose is to enforce the law of Central through fear, terror, and the stripping away of many basic human rights such as privacy.

But that doesn't mean the Gotei wouldn't have use for a group dedicated to stealth kills, or long-term deployment behind enemy lines. 9th Division is overall recon and such, but 2nd could be for more focused misions.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh? I missed that. It'll be interesting to see how/if it'll affect Ken's thinking if he ever meets Elder again. >=D Or Hibiki's, for that matter.
    He also told Hibiki he and the kids ran into her and that Gabi said she was an ancient menos. I figured that was alright, because when Gabi whispered that she was sitting on Valeria's head or hovering near it and Ken was leaning over Valeria because he had just finished taking care of her wound. I figure he could hear the whisper. I'm just saying this in case someone goes "Hey, that was a whisper!" Draken never objected to it when I revealed Ken had heard it. I'm just making this post to get you further up to date on who knows about Elder. Your hoped for awkward revealing of her to the teachers/a teacher has already basically happened.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-09-24 at 01:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabi was pecking and kicking Sora's head, so I guess it would've been noticeable. She was anything but discreet about it.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Or it could basically be the Gotei's Spec Ops team; their SEALs, Green Berets, Delta Force, what have you.

Sure, the Pajama Corps will end up the faceless killers bound only by the whim of the Central 46, accountable to no one but a group of hidebound bureaucrats who are likely almost all of noble birth and haven't had a hard day's work in their life. A group whose only purpose is to enforce the law of Central through fear, terror, and the stripping away of many basic human rights such as privacy.

But that doesn't mean the Gotei wouldn't have use for a group dedicated to stealth kills, or long-term deployment behind enemy lines. 9th Division is overall recon and such, but 2nd could be for more focused misions.
    Pretty much, yeah . It lets Central do whatever, keeps the Gotei from being seen as the bad guys, and makes people think twice about stealing that candy bar, because they may just end up in the sewers somewhere.

Edit: Suzume just let slip the Quincy artifact, any ideas about reviving that plot? Maybe use the item for something?
    Last edited by riccaru; 2011-09-24 at 01:23 PM.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Draken, Kaito's way down the hall by now, unless you're negating several posts. In fact, at this point, he's quite possibly headed for the door to the schoolyard or something.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Uh... Edited then. It also means Kuroi will need to edit.
    Last edited by Draken; 2011-09-24 at 01:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Uh... Edited then.
    Ken followed Kaito, so he's out of the room as well.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Orc in the Playground

Plus Gurren Lagann is a bad anime and he should feel bad for liking and quoting it as an adult and simply as a human being.

"Don't worry, I'm saving the G Gundam quotes for when I get the Metal Gear upgrade to my powers and Shining Finger Sword your sacrilegious behind for that blasphemy."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

13. - Top - End - #763
    Orc in the Playground

Also edited.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    "Don't worry, I'm saving the G Gundam quotes for when I get the Metal Gear upgrade to my powers and Shining Finger Sword your sacrilegious behind for that blasphemy."
    But Ken likes G Gundam. Maybe they can train together on the Guyana Highlands and greet each other like students of The School of the Undefeated of the East.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-09-24 at 01:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

Edit: Suzume just let slip the Quincy artifact, any ideas about reviving that plot? Maybe use the item for something?
    Zarah might have. He resumed to elaborate on Quincies, after all. You could ask him.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Orc in the Playground

But Ken likes G Gundam. Maybe they can train together on the Guyana Highlands and greet each other like students of The School of the Undefeated of the East.
    "I'm afraid that's impossible. Ken's fist would disintegrate."

With that said, I look forward to having Hasunaga become the Master Asia to Ken's Domon.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #767
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rex still needs to meet up with Kazuma somewhere down the line to compare the Soaring Eagle Fist to... dangit, I don't remember the name of Kazuma's similar ability. Anyway, it'd be interesting to see if he could help Rex better develop it, since Shinigami are familiar with shunko and all.
    If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus
    I picture some NPC kid running up to the wearer, going "Sir... why are you wearing a chopped off hand?", at which point the wearer launches the kid's hat 15 feet away and snarls, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THIS IS TRUE POWER!"

18. - Top - End - #768
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zarah might have. He resumed to elaborate on Quincies, after all. You could ask him.
    The artifact is really nothing important. It's basically a silver tube in the shape of a dagger. It's a old weapon that was likely used to fight spiritual entities. I never really intended it to be anything more than that.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

19. - Top - End - #769
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrheit View Post
    Rex still needs to meet up with Kazuma somewhere down the line to compare the Soaring Eagle Fist to... dangit, I don't remember the name of Kazuma's similar ability. Anyway, it'd be interesting to see if he could help Rex better develop it, since Shinigami are familiar with shunko and all.
    Houken. As in "Cannon Fist".

I need to improve that technique. Using only spinning moves for it is boring.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

Wouldn't straight jabs be more efficient with it to begin with?

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I would think a spin gives more momentum. Sort of like a shotput throw; a lot of guys who aren't built like APCs use a spinning technique.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Orc in the Playground

Not really. Shunpo uses primarily footwork. Adding the speed accumulated from said footwork to the fists requires transferring kinetic energy through the waist. Thus, spinning.

If Kazuma could simply speed up other parts of his body, the technique would be a lot more complex than it really is, which means he'd have to have developed it much longer ago for it to be useful.

This is why a lot of Houken techniques involve spinning madly, and oftentimes kicking. The idea is to increase impact by speeding the entire body up.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2011-09-24 at 03:42 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Incidentally, after playing Mass Effect 2, I'm reminded of Cerberus in the case of SWORD.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

The technique is Shunpo plus strike, right?

Shunpo is rapid acceleration, functionally akin to running/sprinting. It's much simpler to aim such movement forward, and you can easily get most of your mass behind it. A straight punch would concentrate all that force in a small area, leading to a cannon-ball like punch. A proper jab already uses torgue from your core.

As far as I understood, Kazuma's main problem was that he wasn't tough enough to actually withstand the impact.

A roundhouse punch covers a wider area, but otherwise doesn't benefit as much from the gained momentum, and is easier to block.

Spinning round and round sounds a bad idea for the same reason spinning round and round is a bad idea in normal martial arts. Doing so in superhuman speeds sounds like a recipe for disaster.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Orc in the Playground

The technique is Shunpo plus strike, right?

Shunpo is rapid acceleration, functionally akin to running/sprinting. It's much simpler to aim such movement forward, and you can easily get most of your mass behind it. A straight punch would concentrate all that force in a small area, leading to a cannon-ball like punch. A proper jab already uses torgue from your core.

As far as I understood, Kazuma's main problem was that he wasn't tough enough to actually withstand the impact.

A roundhouse punch covers a wider area, but otherwise doesn't benefit as much from the gained momentum, and is easier to block.

Spinning round and round sounds a bad idea for the same reason spinning round and round is a bad idea in normal martial arts. Doing so in superhuman speeds sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    That IS part of the reason, yes. The problem with spin techniques is that they're easier to see coming.

However, don't think you can get anywhere striking from a fixed point. At the very least you need to move your waist. There's a REASON why Tae Kwon Do kicks hit so hard, and a lot of the spinning momentum translates into those.

The other problem is that the impact produced by something like the jab you describe is either lost if you deliver too quickly or backfires if you commit too much to it.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2011-09-24 at 03:59 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

The technique I'm describing is basically identical to any of the possible straight punches combined with a step, with exact same flaws. The only difference is that spiritual power is used to allow for inhumanly fast acceleration and deceleration. A straight punch can utilize, and if properly done, already utilizes circular momentum and power from your waist.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

28. - Top - End - #778
    Orc in the Playground

The technique I'm describing is basically identical to any of the possible straight punches combined with a step, with exact same flaws. The only difference is that spiritual power is used to allow for inhumanly fast acceleration and deceleration. A straight punch can utilize, and if properly done, already utilizes circular momentum and power from your waist.
    I'm... not sure I agree with that.

You forget, for example, that there are at least seven directions to step besides forward, each with their own applications, and it is also perfectly possible to punch straight while stepping forward without ever rotating your waist.

Not only that, the waist is your center of gravity and one of the seven points of balance for the human body. If you had to compensate for superhuman acceleration with your waist, one of two things would happen:

1) Your waist would break and you would literally squeeze your intestines into a conical top like you're made of play-dough (secondary power lack scenario)
    2) Your lower abdominal muscles would tear into ribbons as they attempted to transfer the kinetic energy to the fist (since they're not necessarily more durable).

So let's try not to apply TOO MUCH physics to this lest my catgirls die. Suffice to say that Kazuma is compensating for his body's lack of absorption potential by attacking during the spin itself (thus transferring the kinetic energy onto his enemy's body and making that impact HIS problem to deal with).

Let's also not forget that Shunpo can be used to make curves (otherwise the teleport-spam-behind-backs doesn't happen), which adds possibilities of their own.

So one thing that comes to mind is Kazuma learning to make use of EXTREMELY short (as in one or two feet long) bursts of shunpo to deliver his attacks, minimizing his collateral damage.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #779
    Dwarf in the Playground

The different motions could actually underscore one of the main differences between Houken and Hochfliegenderadlerfaust. Besides a much shorter name.

Namely, Rex's technique is going to be a very straight-line thing, since he'll be using reishi manipulation to cushion his side of the impact and do more damage to the target. From the descriptions I've heard so far and what I have in my head, it looks like Soaring Eagle Fist is going to have higher damage potential, but also be more tiring and have more potential for backfiring than Houken (after all, you have to split your attention between the attack and manipulating reishi, and the timing on the reishi blast has to be perfect or you don't mitigate the forces properly. You could even possibly amplify your side of the impact if you mess up).
    If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus
    I picture some NPC kid running up to the wearer, going "Sir... why are you wearing a chopped off hand?", at which point the wearer launches the kid's hat 15 feet away and snarls, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THIS IS TRUE POWER!"

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

All this talk of spinning makes me think of Kazuma like this.