New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Kingmaker: Stolen Lands

Svetlana's smile fades slightly. She turns to fish a large piece of bone with chunks of meat clinging to it out of the stew, and absentmindedly throws it to the wolf. Turning back to you, she begins to say "But surely when you were sent here-" Oleg, who has made no noise, save to grunt a greeting at you when he reached the table, explodes, flipping his bowl over and leaping to his feet. "Don't you see, woman? They're not here to help us! You'd think that after sending dozens of dozens of messages to anyone who'd listen in Brevoy we'd get enough guards to deal with our little problem, but no. They don't care, and the nine Hells take them all!" He storms off, cursing audibly. Svetlana sits down at the table quietly. "I'm sorry. He... you see... The bandits of the forest have been shaking us down. Oleg'd rather die than be stolen from, he just is that kind of man, but they threatened me. The bandits come at the first of the month. Tomorrow. Please, I beg you, help us! We don't have much to offer, but I can give you lodging and hearty meals." Oleg, who has walked in a large circle, hears this and throws his hands into the air, cursing while stalking off again.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Callahan frowns. He hadn't anticipated this. But Sellemius would have to have known about them if the couple had sent as many pleas as they claimed. Yet he said nothing of their plight, though he still suggested that the party pass through their homestead as a final stop before venturing into the Greenbelt.

May the Nine Hells take them, indeed, thought Callahan, grimly.

He wasn't prepared to simply leave these two to their fate, yet he exchanges glances with the rest of his companions, trying to gauge their reactions.
    "Exactly how flammable is this ale?" - Boar, Dwarven Fighter, moments before his own demise.

The Dork Knight: A Let's Play of Batman Arkham Asylum

Exploits and Espionage: A Let's Play of Alpha Protocol

We're in it for the Money: A campaign log from the near-future of Planescape.

Stark Raving Sane, home to several Let's Plays, campaign logs, game reviews, and musings on nerd culture in general

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

"Ha, maybe this will be easier than I thought, if the bandits come to us," says Kurst. "We've been chartered to explore and pacify these lands, so pray tell us more about this band of thieves."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-09-15 at 04:50 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Corwin

Corwin nods in agreement with Kurst. “Yeah. Dealing with bandits is one of the reasons we came this way. Just didn’t know they’d be your bandit problem specifically.”
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Svetlana is clearly tense, it is not a pleasant memory. "They've come three times now. Always the first of the month, always right after dawn. The first time-" she shudders "the first time the woman came with them. Her smile was the cruelest I've seen in my life, and living out here the people tend to be mean. There were fifteen of them. Like I said, Oleg would've made a fight of it, and gotten cut down for his trouble, but they'd already managed to grab me. She said they'd... they'd..". she trails off for a moment, her gaze staring into the darkness of the forest. "They said they'd take me with them. They took everything valuable we had. The trappers have been kind and have lowered their prices for us, but there are limits. Another month or so and we'd be ruined, and the bandits would take our home, our lives."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

"Fifteen? That is a problem," says Kurst. "Where are these trappers, perhaps we could convince a few to help even the odds."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Corwin

“So we can expect them right after dawn tomorrow,” Corwin muses. “Plenty of time to prepare.” He softens his voice as he addresses Svetlana, adopting the most caring tone he can, “I do not want to force you to dwell on what is certainly a distressing subject, but it would help if you can give us a little more information. If they are mounted, what sorts of weapons they have, if any of them appear versed in the ways of magic—that sort of thing. I am also interested in hearing about this woman that has frightened you so. Now, if you would rather not visit the dark memories in which those details dwell, we would also accept that information from your husband.”
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2011-09-15 at 03:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Calyr walks over to Svetlana and puts his hand on her shoulder comfortingly. I agree, the more we know about these bandits the more we can do to help. Don't worry, we won't let them lay a hand on you again."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

"The bandits came the first time in force. The... woman, and a hooded man with a bow, those were the leaders. There were thirteen of the rest of them, but they only came the first time. Two months ago it was just the man and eight others, last month he only brought five. The woman hasn't come again, thank the gods. None of them seemed to be magical at all. Can I help you in any way?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Corwin

“Hm. Perhaps if this trend continues, there’ll only be three of them tomorrow. ‘Course we should also be prepared for the whole crew.”

Corwin places a sympathetic hand on Svetlana’s shoulder. “As to other help, I’d appreciate a tour so we can know the land.”

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"I will go with you" Callahan says to Corwin and Svetlana, foregoing the comforting gesture since she has now run out of shoulders to lay comforting hands on. "If someone would wish to speak to Oleg as well, he seems to be a man of the craft and we should do all we can to make this place defensible before the morrow."
    "Exactly how flammable is this ale?" - Boar, Dwarven Fighter, moments before his own demise.

Stark Raving Sane, home to several Let's Plays, campaign logs, game reviews, and musings on nerd culture in general

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

"No, we should leave it as it is, or close to it. Changing too much would make them suspicious, and they might come in force," says Kurst.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I'm not suggesting we build a bloody drawbridge, but we should at least investigate the palisade for signs of weakness, and a few shots from those catapults would likely go a long way, provided they still work. We might also consider a few concealed traps, if our rogue friend feels up to the task. A covered pit just past the gate with the appropriate... greeting... at the bottom might provide a suitable welcome for a bandit or two."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Sprig seems deeply troubled by what the bandits have been doing to Oleg and Svetlana.

"We'll stop those men tomorrow, then we'll go find that woman and put her out too! These bandits are a blight on the forest and must be stopped. Good thing we got here when we did!"

She eats heartily from the bowl Svetlana offered. Being only a small halfing, she can only eat about half. Discretely, she takes the bowl off the table and puts it on the floor, letting Thistle have the rest.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2011-09-16 at 08:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Corwin

“I agree with Callahan. We need to shore up the defenses, but that doesn’t mean they have to be visible. Or at least recognizable as defenses. Though those pits sound like they could accidentally get a legitimate visitor, should one arrive with poor timing. I’m thinking more of a simple ambush.”

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I appreciate what you're offering to do for me and mine" Oleg grumbles, "but I can guarantee that none of the trappers will be as ready to risk their hides. My wife is far too kind, they lowered their prices because no-one else is offering a better one, and half of them are exiles or criminals, so they can't go back to the cities themselves. Don't misunderstand me, there's a world of difference between them and the bandits plagueing the region, but none of us here are city people, so we gotta stick together a little. 'Sides, I would't trust none of them with a bow at my back, and not because I'm worried they'd be aiming for me, if you take my meaning." Oleg stands and looks out the gate, scratching at a balding patch of scalp on the back of his head. You get the feeling that Oleg's life has made him old before his time. "You're welcome to try to get those catapults working, though I warn you that if you do it'll be the first time anyone has since before I came here. We'll do what we can to aid you in our own defense. The first thing that comes to mind is that we should hide your horses before they come, no sense in tipping them to the fact that they're not alone here."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

"What would it take to get those catapults working exactly? I'm sorry, but I'm not exactly a master craftsman. You probably know more about them than any of us."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Sprig hops on Thistle and gives the nearby woods a quick scout. If she can, shell pick some berries as many as possible, to use for her Goodberry spell.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I really wouldn't know, boy, I've been up those towers only once or twice, to knock off hornet's nests that keep forming there. You're welcome to see for yourself, although I wonder who you think's gonna fire the things. You'll pardon me, but none of you look like engineers to me." he looks somewhat dubious, but seems to have settled into what seems like characteristic cynicism.

Sprig
    Spoiler
    Show
    The area nearby is lush, with verdant, almost unspoiled forest. There are few signs that men have made any impression on the land (perception check DC15)
    Spoiler
    Show
    although while you search you notice some scattered evidence that a road once existed here
    Your search is successful, and you pick more berries than you could use in the near future.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know of such devices either, but does that gate work? We can hide within the walls and shut it behind the bandits. We wouldn't want any to escape and warn their allies," suggests Kurst. "Or maybe divide them into manageable groups, if they decide to come in force again."
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-09-17 at 08:59 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Sprig's Perception Check:
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+8)[22]

Sprig will cast Goodberry on the berries she collected, stowing them in a pouch for use tomorrow.

Goodberries: (2d4)[3]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree, that gate could be quite helpful. In the meantime, mind showing me where we can hide our horses?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Corwin
    “Hang on!” Corwin interjects, “Fighting right here could cause a fair bit of damage to the surrounding property and hosts’ livelihood. Especially if we use the catapults. Though the gate thing would make an excellent trap and give us a decent advantage, I think Mr. Oleg and Miss Svetlana should know the risks and give us proper permission.”

Corwin places both hands on the table and begins to sweep them back and forth, slowly feeling the grain of the wood before addressing Oleg, “What do you say, Mr. Oleg, Miss Svetlana? Is giving us a secure position to deal with this problem worth the risk to your property? We can hide you so that property is the only risk, and not your lives. Or would you prefer we found a way to draw them off and fight them further afield?”

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We're no cowards" Oleg begins angrily, but his wife quickly steps in "what my husband would mean if he had the sense the gods gave rabbits is that it does us no good if by trying to minimize the damage to our home you fail. Better that we give you every advantage we can, so you may destroy them completely, and end the greater danger we face.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Corwin

Corwin grins. “Good!”

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

"Good answer, Oleg. Then we'll trap them in the palisade and grind them to dust," says Kurst.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Corwin
    “Yes. Now, how about that tour?”

While exploring the compound, Corwin makes liberal use of detect magic to make sure there aren’t any surprise enchantments he should know about.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Corwin

If Corwin can get a chance to explore the storeroom alone, he will try and find what has the aura and determine their natures:

Aura School:
    Arcana - (1d20+6)[17]
    Arcana - (1d20+6)[22]
    Arcana - (1d20+6)[14]

Check the auras before entering the storeroom. He will avoid passing through any successfully-identified abjuration auras, deeming them to be an intentionally placed ward.

Item Properties
    Spellcraft - (1d20+6)[24]
    Spellcraft - (1d20+6)[12]
    Spellcraft - (1d20+6)[22]

If not, he is simply straightforward and sincere with Oleg, as he knows how magic can sometimes pass through hands without people knowing: “Did you know you have magic in your storeroom?”
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2011-09-26 at 10:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I suppose so, but it just a couple o' potions that I've been sold. There's an old hermit, lives in the woods somewhere and comes out to sell me some potions when he needs something that he can't make himself."

Corwin
    Spoiler
    Show
    you discern that at least two of the auras are magic items, although you are unsure of the third. Of the items, you know one to be a potion of Cure Light Wounds, though the identity of the second eludes you.
    Last edited by Sir_Mopalot; 2011-09-26 at 11:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Corwin

Corwin smiles. “What kind are they? Would you be willing to sell them if they’re useful?”