New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Random Banter Buddies DnD Campaign Part 2!

Bast, despite currently believing him, is going to say You're lying.

Insight: (1d20+4)[11]
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mattos View Post
    (You can just put [color=transparent][/color])
    In all my expierance of seeing that, it's never worked. But I'll try it, maybe. Basically I'm looking for a way to hide rolls without making it obvious that I did roll. But that sorta takes the fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Bast, despite currently believing him, is going to say You're lying.

Insight: (1d20+9)[27]
    Bast:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are actually pretty sure he is telling the truth.

"Now it seems the shoe is on the other foot kitten. Why would I lie to you, if I'm not careful you might put one of those collars on my neck and try to set it off"

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[27]

EDIT: Just a reminder, " " with words that are red inbetween means the echoy charcoal brimstonefire voice.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2011-09-24 at 05:02 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33

Bast takes a collar from Elden.

Really? Then cooperate with us or we'll put this collar on you.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    In all my expierance of seeing that, it's never worked. But I'll try it, maybe. Basically I'm looking for a way to hide rolls without making it obvious that I did roll. But that sorta takes the fun out of it.
    (I don't think you can hide rolls.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

5. - Top - End - #35

She wants to because I figured out the Underboss was probably lying, because she added the bit about him sounding more believable after an edit. That and the spoiler box kind of points to her rolling a bluff check and then adding the results afterwards.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

Ahh, ok.

Anyway, the Underboss says "Ok, ok, I'll help you the best I can"

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[13]

Anyone with Passive Insight over 13:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's started talking bull now
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2011-09-24 at 05:24 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

Bast says in Elemental

Spoiler
    Show
    He's lying. I'll pretend to believe him, you tell the others out of earshot.

Oh, wonderful. Tell me everything about Fell court you know.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38

Teodor will sorta round everyone around and tell everyone Bast's plan quietly. Only Carric is the guy unable to actually see that spoiler, which is that the dude is obviously lying. Bast's plan is to fake believing him.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

@Teddy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was honestly thinking of a free power, standard action, where you focus your power on the collar while it is on a zombies neck, causing it to explode into chunks of obsidian, causing quite a bit of damage to the zombies and with an increased chance of critting (say 19 or 20, not just 20). I did not think you were trying to use the collars as throwing weapons, essentialy XP
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wasn't. It's just that Elden doesn't do frags and explosions as much as burning fire and searing light. The effect would (probably) be the same, but the visual would be different (the collars around their necks flaring up in, lets say, dark flames and then burning out into twisted, charred somethings of something, losing their power in the process. Could consume the collar used as a focus as well, perhaps...

Question, what was the colour index of the spoiler box?
    Don't you have any good old d20 lying around in your home which you can use for secret rolls? Or a d10 to substitute it with (one roll for the last digit and one to determine whether it's 1-10 or 11-20)? Otherwise, set up your own personal die rolling thread in the Dice Roller subforum.

Also, LaLa, what are all those unlabeled spoiler boxes in your posts for?

The collars would certainly be good. That plus having our own Fell Court puppet could be quite useful...
    Unless you intend to zombify him first, I doubt that that's going to work.

Bast takes a collar from Elden.

Really? Then cooperate with us or we'll put this collar on you.
    Elden quickly takes back the collar.

I'll hold on to that. I don't want anyone to do anything unconsidered with it, and especially not something as reckless as putting the craft of your foe around his own neck after he's suggested it himself.

Elden glares at the Underboss, and his fire brightens into a pure white flame.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2011-09-24 at 07:29 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wasn't. It's just that Elden doesn't do frags and explosions as much as burning fire and searing light. The effect would (probably) be the same, but the visual would be different (the collars around their necks flaring up in, lets say, dark flames and then burning out into twisted, charred somethings of something, losing their power in the process. Could consume the collar used as a focus as well, perhaps...

Don't you have any good old d20 lying around in your home which you can use for secret rolls? Or a d10 to substitute it with (one roll for the last digit and one to determine whether it's 1-10 or 11-20)? Otherwise, set up your own personal die rolling thread in the Dice Roller subforum.

Also, LaLa, what are all those unlabeled spoiler boxes in your posts for?
    The unlabeled spoiler boxes were DM only. Meant to write that, sorta, just forgot. They were meant to be secret rolls XP

I do have some dice around, but...well actually that's a good idea. Thank's Teddy =D!

Teddy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another great idea. Takes a collar to use, lets you target any collar wearing undead creature, wis vs fort. If it hits, how about say 2d12 damage?

The underboss catches Elden's scowl, and gives one of his own.

11. - Top - End - #41

Unless you intend to zombify him first, I doubt that that's going to work.

I meant after we bind him with that tooth I've got. It's not necessary now anyway.

I'll hold on to that. I don't want anyone to do anything unconsidered with it, and especially not something as reckless as putting the craft of your foe around his own neck after he's suggested it himself.
    Bast gets up and pulls Elden out of earshot. Have you ever heard of lying Elden? Bast hisses at him. Or possibly leaving the the interrogation without possibly assisting the interrogatee? Bast is clearly a little peeved with Elden (really sorry Teddy. I swear, just roleplaying!)
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Bast gets up and pulls Elden out of earshot. Have you ever heard of lying Elden? Bast hisses at him. Or possibly leaving the the interrogation without possibly assisting the interrogatee? Bast is clearly a little peeved with Elden (really sorry Teddy. I swear, just roleplaying!)
    Just roleplaying as well.

I'm of the firm belief that you need to play at least a bit savvy for him to buy your game. If your going to do everything he says, he's either going to find a way to get you to do something really stupid or just call your bluff.

@LaLa:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's... that's a lot of damage. Perhaps you could lower it in exchange for "Miss: half damage". It's not like they could dodge their own collar, and its awkward position makes bracing against the damage hard as well.

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Teddy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sounds good. 1d12, half if missed, and crit on a 19 or higher.

14. - Top - End - #44

I'm of the firm belief that you need to play at least a bit savvy for him to buy your game. If your going to do everything he says, he's either going to find a way to get you to do something really stupid or just call your bluff.
    All I want from him is the information about the doors, and Fell Court. I wasn't sure if he believed me about the binding, it seemed like he did, but I wasn't sure. Since you were already butting in with nonsense about collars while I was trying to intimidate him, I improvised, and we ended up in a situation where he could either show that he was lying about the collar, or give us fake information. He chose giving us fake information, so we know those collars must be important, he was glaring at you earlier, in case you hadn't noticed. Got it? Now we can't trust his information, he's lying, but still, it yielded some information, and it could have done more if you hadn't been bursting in showing off how much you know about your little collars!
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

All I want from him is the information about the doors, and Fell Court. I wasn't sure if he believed me about the binding, it seemed like he did, but I wasn't sure. Since you were already butting in with nonsense about collars while I was trying to intimidate him, I improvised, and we ended up in a situation where he could either show that he was lying about the collar, or give us fake information. He chose giving us fake information, so we know those collars must be important, he was glaring at you earlier, in case you hadn't noticed. Got it? Now we can't trust his information, he's lying, but still, it yielded some information, and it could have done more if you hadn't been bursting in showing off how much you know about your little collars!
    Just an out of character note: I live roughly 8 hours before you (although 8 hours behind is probably more accurate, given that I usually do my actions in my morning while you're all sleeping, since I was sleeping when you did yours), which means that after you've posted your actions, I'm going to react to things that happens before that. In other words, just because I post something Elden says while you're in the middle of something important, doesn't mean that that's neccessarily the point when Elden says it.

Anyway...
    The problem, as I said, is that he can use his knowledge to check if you're bluffing. If he supplies you with information about something harmful and then provides you with the idea that you could use it on himself, then that either means that he's an idiot of unencountered kind, or that he thinks he can trick you with false information, possibly making you do something that's beneficial for him. Now, if the second case is the one that's true and you start threatening him with said "harmful" something, chances are that he'll continue to taunt you into doing it, and if you don't do it but continue to pretend that you believe him, he will soon realise that you're bluffing as well and that you in reality already have seen through his bluff, giving him the chance to feed you with a double bluff while you go on assuming that he's still just bluffing once.

Also, if you try to intimidate him by claiming that we already know that the false facts that he supplies us with are true, you're just going to blow our own credibility. Actually, acting ignorant will do that as well, because then you show that we're not sure that we already know the right facts about it. The only way to make it work is by telling him that he's lying, revealing that we already know all their true powers, even if that isn't the case.

And finally, I would prefer that you don't pull magical objects I've hardly determined the power of yet out of my hands and start to dangle them around our enemies. He might be bound, but if he has the ability to activate these collars verbally or even telepathically and make them do something harmful, it's better if it happens further away from him where he won't benefit as much from it. For example, what if he made it burst into flames and you dropped it on the ground? He's a tiefling, he'd just find a way to throw himself on it to burn through the ropes, and we don't need any more Court members to escape our grasp at this moment.

Note, I'm having Elden adopt most of my own ways of talking (except for my habit of always expressing uncertainity), which means that when he thinks that someone is wrong, he's going to launch into a long and serious, but rather calmly spoken tirade on why said person is wrong. The most important point is that he (like myself) don't express (or even feel) any anger except for in the most extreme cases, so you should never read things as if he's screaming them unless I actually state that he does.

Now, you should go back to your interrogation before he starts to think that he can do something shady while we're over here arguing with eachother.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2011-09-25 at 04:51 PM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #46

The underboss looks to Carric for a moment. "Hey, big tall and silent, could you put a blade in my throat so I don't have to listen to these two anymore?"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Carric smirks "Of course not. If this is torture for you, you might eventually tell us something worthwhile so they'll stop arguing."
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

18. - Top - End - #48

The Underboss looks to Elden and Bast for quite awhile. He then turns to Carric, sounding a little less cocksure then before. "Ok, you got me there. What do you need to know?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

"Same thing that she wanted. To know what else is in this place, what enemies lie ahead of us," Carric responds.

20. - Top - End - #50

Bast hisses at the Underboss and then turns back to Elden.

Just an out of character note: I live roughly 8 hours before you (although 8 hours behind is probably more accurate, given that I usually do my actions in my morning while you're all sleeping, since I was sleeping when you did yours), which means that after you've posted your actions, I'm going to react to things that happens before that. In other words, just because I post something Elden says while you're in the middle of something important, doesn't mean that that's neccessarily the point when Elden says it.
    I had considered that but wasn't sure, so I went with it chronological. Sorry. Could you perhaps point out when you retroactively said something?

Well who said I wasn't going to do that? Why don't you do the interrogation since you have such a good look into his mind? I just took over because-

At which point Bast will be cut off by the Underboss's second comment.

And everything you know about Fell Court.

Note, I'm having Elden adopt most of my own ways of talking (except for my habit of always expressing uncertainity), which means that when he thinks that someone is wrong, he's going to launch into a long and serious, but rather calmly spoken tirade on why said person is wrong. The most important point is that he (like myself) don't express (or even feel) any anger except for in the most extreme cases, so you should never read things as if he's screaming them unless I actually state that he does.
    Okay, got it. Bast may not be like that though.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51

"Eh, more Tieflings and Drakes. A couple zombies. You took most of us out here. Boss Mandrake will take care of you in the end, along with that Eladrin Kalindale." He answers, rather nonplussed. It seems he has accepted his fate, as it were.

"And I can't really tell you much about the Fell Court you can't figure out yourself. Might get a surprise in a room behind that door, and we've got our loot over there in the other room."
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2011-09-25 at 09:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

It doesn't matter if we can figure it out ourselves or not. Tell us anyway.

And Kalindale... is he the one who can pull his sword from nowhere? The one who protects Mandrake the Malignant?

(since you all aren't doing an archive binge, this is what I'm talking about. It's from the old thread.
    "They are lead by a Tiefling mage, who's got an Eladrin bodyguard. They both seem very powerful. Sometimes..it seems like the Tiefling's eyes glow with hellfire. All I know about the Eladrin is that he can pull his sword out of no where."
    From page 34.)
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2011-09-25 at 09:57 PM.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

"That he can, kitten. He's a swordmage. And what I mean is that we've made a deal with a Lich. A very powerful one. He's currently on his way south to The Barricade, the closest major city between here and the edge of this northern land."

24. - Top - End - #54

eek Re: [4e] Random Banter Buddies DnD Campaign Part 2!

Welp, I think we just found our connection. What do we do now? Crap.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55

You can discuss it with your party members if you wish, but he is totally waiting for his death, just saying.

26. - Top - End - #56

Guys, quick meeting?
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57

"We're not strong enough to take on this threat on our own. We will clear out the rest of this stronghold, and then we're taking this villain back to civilization, where he can tell his story."

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

28. - Top - End - #58

We take him with us? Keeping him alive then. Which reminds me, I wonder why he's expecting death?
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2011-09-25 at 10:13 PM.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

"Poor bloke probably doesn't know a thing about mercy."

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

The underboss looks to Carric for a moment. "Hey, big tall and silent, could you put a blade in my throat so I don't have to listen to these two anymore?"
    Technically, LaLa, we should be out of earshot, so he won't as much listen as just hear the muddled sounds.

I had considered that but wasn't sure, so I went with it chronological. Sorry. Could you perhaps point out when you retroactively said something?
    Given, I would probably say it in the middle of your interrogation anyway, but perhaps a bit more coherent than what I said now...

And I'll try to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    "Poor bloke probably doesn't know a thing about mercy."
    Such low hopes are justified, though. And they're dealing with demons, he must be expecting a "good" afterlife under one of the more evil gods.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2011-09-26 at 02:39 AM.

Show