New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Mutants and Masterminds 3E character

Okay.

So I'm entering an M&M 3rd campaign, PL 10, and I have some questions about my character's viability, potential for game problems, and possible power variants. His concept is a basically non-combatant civilian scientist with body armor and a big steaming pile of gravikinetic ability unexpectedly dumped on him. He's on the run for a crime he didn't commit, he hasn't had ANY supering experience or contact with the super community, and he's REAL nervous about having a power that can potentially level buildings.
    These numbers aren't set in stone.

Stats-
    Str:0 Sta:0 Fight:0 Agi:1 Dex:1 Pres:1 Aware:2 Int:5

(VERY modest by comic book standards, I know.)

Skills-
    Decept:4 Expert-Science:11 Insight:4 Invest:4 Percep:4 Persuade:4 Ranged combat-Gravikinetic:3 Tech:11

Advantages-
    Improved defence(?) Improved initiative(?) Improved hold Benefit:Wealth x1 or 2 Equipment 2(hidden basement hideout and a pocket of everyday tech) Inventor Taunt

(I'm pretty much leaving these for last, since they're so cheap)

Powers-
    Armor: Protection15, Invulnerable toughness 15, Immune-sensory affliction, Immune-1/2 electric damage, Immune-1/2 radiation damage, Removable, Obvious

Gravikinesis, dynamic array- (these are very sloppy, still working on 'em)
    Move object 20-25 base effect

Move object- area, damaging(?), subtle, selective

Flight- distracting, subtle, quirk or limitation rank 5 max
    Immune-own powers

Blast-subtle

Blast-area, subtle, tiring

Flight-attack, area, subtle, distracting or concentration, quirk or limitation rank 10 max(essentially an AoE zero-G)

Affliction(hindered->disabled->paralyzed)- area, selective, diminished range, distracting or concentration, Alternate resistance(Reflex modified by Strength), quirk or limitation 5 rank max

Affliction(hindered->disabled->paralyzed)-ranged, diminished range, distracting or concentration, Alternate resistance(Reflex modified by Strength)

Also toying with the idea of a linked Damage and attack-flight or attack-leap for a ring-out.; also, a shared AoE 2 rank climbing power to simulate sideways or upside-down walking using redirected gravity.

Wow. Didn't mean to take up so much space. Any variations, criticisms, ideas, and suggestions will all be greatly appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: Mutants and Masterminds 3E character

What are your numbers on resistances (toughness, dodge, parry, fortitude and will), also attack bonuses and ranks on all powers would be useful here before any advice can really be given.

Concept looks good, but picking effect ranks can make quite the difference.

3. - Top - End - #3

Oops. Sorry.

Totals are Fort+0(+15) Dodge+1 Parry+1 Fortitude+0 Will+7
    Close combat+0 Ranged combat+1(+4 Gravikinetic powers)

The Armor effects are more or less decided. The Gravikinetic effects are all one dynamic array; I'm limiting the damage I can do by fixing flight, the area effect zero-G and high-G immobilization ranks to 5 or 10 using limitations or quirks. The base effect of move object has a rank of roughly 20 (maybe a little higher if I'm having trouble maintaining useful effects each round, or if the point cost/rank gets too high), so that's 40-50PP to shuffle between the different dynamic effects.
    Last edited by Cirrylius; 2011-09-24 at 05:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    Oops. Sorry.

Totals are Fort+0(+15) Dodge+1 Parry+1 Fortitude+0 Will+7
    Close combat+0 Ranged combat+1(+4 Gravikinetic powers)

The Armor effects are more or less decided. The Gravikinetic effects are all one dynamic array; I'm limiting the damage I can do by fixing flight, the area effect zero-G and high-G immobilization ranks to 5 or 10 using limitations or quirks. The base effect of move object has a rank of roughly 20 (maybe a little higher if I'm having trouble maintaining useful effects each round, or if the point cost/rank gets too high), so that's 40-50PP to shuffle between the different dynamic effects.
    That would probably be enough. So what you're going for is some kind of flying blaster deal?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    That would probably be enough. So what you're going for is some kind of flying blaster deal?
    Not exaaaactly... I'm trying for more of a battlefield controller/TK lifting/blaster. He can deal some really heavy ranged damage, or a really effective pin, but his attack bonus is really low, so he won't be hitting very often. And while he CAN fly, 5 ranks ain't that fast, and he's Vulnerable, so being airborne isn't a huge advantage unless he's dealing with a really serious melee combatant.

My issue is I'm not sure whether his stats will stand up to heavy combat; he'll be able to take virtually any physical damage, but I'm not sure whether having such one sided Fort:Dodge and Attack:Effect ratios will be playable in-game, or whether having such low Parry, Fortitude and Will defenses will cripple his effectiveness. Basically I'm trying to feel out if it's possible to play a non-combatant with bighuge powers without being useless/steamrolled.
    Last edited by Cirrylius; 2011-09-26 at 09:04 PM.