New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Outside XXVII

EtherAin Manor

Quinn's ward is still incomplete when Apprentice-Pilot arrives, but at this point is finished. It spans about the area that Jakob cleared, and if AP passes it now, it will attempt to affect him. What with him being in a plane, though, the ward won't reach him--but it could affect any computer systems in the plane. If there are, they respond a bit slowly for a few seconds, then are unaffected. The plane will sputter for a moment, then be fine regardless.

Also, the ward is shown as slightly blue to anyone who can see or detect magic, but is invisible otherwise.

Quinn is also invisible at this moment, watching the battle play out. He is floating near the woodpile.

Edit: The ward is also a perfect sphere.
    Last edited by ZarethG; 2011-10-15 at 10:50 AM.
    Awesome Faerie by Ceika

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false. This sentence is false. I'm lying.

Yay paradoxes!

"Pieces of music are vegetables for your brain."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

[EtherAin Manor]

Apprentice-Pilot's ship is hit, hard, by the central tree, sending it flying off (Fortunately, away from the other two). The tree above Jakob starts to fall, quickly gaining speed.

Interestingly, the computer system is rather highly affected by Quinn's ward, and is still sputtering around fifteen seconds after the impact.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2011-10-15 at 10:48 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Pixie in the Playground

EtherAin Manor

Quinn is happy! He didn't know his ward could do that!

Unfortunately, Quinn is too happy. His invisibility drops for just a second. If AP has some really good radar and picks him up, Quinn is just a tiny little hand-sized speck of faerie.
    Awesome Faerie by Ceika

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false. This sentence is false. I'm lying.

Yay paradoxes!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    [EtherAin Manor]

Apprentice-Pilot's ship is hit, hard, by the central tree, sending it flying off (Fortunately, away from the other two). The tree above Jakob starts to fall, quickly gaining speed.

Interestingly, the computer system is rather highly affected by Quinn's ward, and is still sputtering around fifteen seconds after the impact.
    EtherAin Manor

Jakob deftly hurls the axe skyward, pegging the tree above him and knocking it off course enough for it to land with a *CRUMP* and a shower of flying dirt and rock next to the treepile. When the dust clears it's likely buried up to the roots in the earth.

Then Jakob grabs hold of the Big One.

It was the largest tree he could find, roughly twice as large as the oak he just hurled, and big enough that he has to carry it in both hands. He takes a short leap off the pile to the earth and, holding it close to its roots, begins to spin.

He's picking up speed and momentum, so much so that his fingers nearly slip off the tree during this impromptu hammer toss, but somehow he manages to hold on. He'll wait until it seems that the ship has recovered from the damage the ward has done to it (which he thinks is because of his expert toss earlier) to both build up speed and give his enemy a fighting chance of dodging before he does the unexpected.

Rather than send this goliath tree hurtling through space at the ship he brings it smartly downward on his last spin, digging its point into the earth and flinging himself, tree and all, into the air where he spins and flails like a mad top towards Apprentice-Pilot, and his destiny.

To anyone familiar with Jakob, it's apparent that he's tried something like this before, as he is using shifts in his body weight to correct his flight-path slightly. It's not much, but it's the difference between a missile with a faulty guidance system and a cannonball.
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2011-10-15 at 11:02 AM.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

[EtherAin Manor]

At really high speeds, small things can be deadly, so he probably gets caught on the debris detector.

However.

His thoughts to fire a laser at the fairy are interrupted by the massive missile-man flying at him, a problem the Kzin tries to solve by the rapid application of missiles, lasers, and the gravity planer.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Pixie in the Playground

EtherAin Manor

Quinn likes Jakob already. He gives Jakob a little speed and direction boost to guide him to the plane as he flies towards it as well.
    Awesome Faerie by Ceika

Yay paradoxes!

7. - Top - End - #367

[EtherAin Manor]

At really high speeds, small things can be deadly, so he probably gets caught on the debris detector.

However.

His thoughts to fire a laser at the fairy are interrupted by the massive missile-man flying at him, a problem the Kzin tries to solve by the rapid application of missiles, lasers, and the gravity planer.
    EtherAin Manor

The lasers, moving faster than he correct for, hit Jakob and the tree sporadically. However he manages to avoid the missiles with Quinn's help, up until the point where his tree (which was closer to the ship than him) is caught in the gravity planer. If it can stand the imense force that is put upon it then the tree is held in mid-air. If that happens then Jakob will use the rest of his momentum to attempt to fling himself the remaining distance to the ship's hull. On his way, the veins on his arms begin to bulge and his muscles start to bubble and grow. By the time he reaches the ship (if he makes it) he should be twice as large as he was at the start of the fight.

So now A.P. is facing a smouldering missile-man, and holding a flaming tree in his gravity planer.
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2011-10-15 at 11:23 AM.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

[EtherAin Airspace]

It can, yes. And Jakob does, indeed, hit, mostly becasue the brain in the navigation computer is stilled stunned. Unless the plasma weapons stop him.

If he does hit, Apprentice-Pilot will start trying to thwack him with the flaming tree.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Pixie in the Playground

[EtherAin Airspace]

It can, yes. And Jakob does, indeed, hit, mostly becasue the brain in the navigation computer is stilled stunned. Unless the plasma weapons stop him.

If he does hit, Apprentice-Pilot will start trying to thwack him with the flaming tree.
    Time for Quinn to save the day! He uses his telekinetic powers to try and redirect the tree to hit the ship by simply pushing it down when it swings at Jakob.
    Awesome Faerie by Ceika

Yay paradoxes!

10. - Top - End - #370

EtherAin Manor

No, I don't think the plasma weapons would stop him. He's got too much momentum built up.

So as soon as he has a firm grip on the ship, he begins looking for structural weakness in the ship. Anything that looks like a rivet, weld, or seam will be noted, and if there is a piece of glass or clear plastic seperating him from the cockpit, he'll target that first.

Whatever he finds, he winds up and levies a massive headbutt against it, delivering several tons of force to an area the size of his forehead (which is several feet across thanks to his recent size increase.)

The tree gets him across the back, but because of Quinn's misdirection it doesn't do anymore damage than he's doing to himself at this point. Certainly it's going to bruise, and those burns look fairly nasty, but as he raises his head up for another shot A.P. might be able to see the great bleeding cut he's put into his forehead, along with a nearly flat nose and a few teeth hanging loosely from his mouth.

Jakob seems to have noticed the little fairy on his side by now, but it looks like he moved In Front of the tree to take the blow, so Quinn's efforts to protect him only softened the hit.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Devan Mountain

One down, the fall will kill the gloved troll. Well, it will probably kill her. There's no way to guarantee it, but she was stabbed with a magic sword in the heart and fell off a mountain. That's pretty lethal.

The electric bolts were designed to cause internal electric burns, but when the illusion gets close enough the troll starts using his secondary fire. That's a constant stream of electricity specifically designed to paralyze. The girl with the lantern, however, is trying to dispel the illusion. With fire. I don't know how that works. Magic, presumably.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pillory.' Wikipedia says it's a old fashioned whipping post, so I presume it is not a nice place. In any event, the spell should work.
    Devan Mountain

Meant is this. so he tries to cast this on hinm which should indeed make him unable to throw his chakram.

The illusion indeed was just anohter distraction and is easily been dispelled.

Fade runs out of his cover tries to hit the energy Bolt firering guy with his new sword.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

[EtherAin Manor]

There is indeed a piece of glass/plastic, which cracks rather violently.

Apprentice-Pilot decides to use... non-traditional... tactics at this point, and flips the ship upside down, before rapidly accelerating towards the ground, in the hopes of crushing the giant and the fairy.

13. - Top - End - #373

[EtherAin Manor]

There is indeed a piece of glass/plastic, which cracks rather violently.

Apprentice-Pilot decides to use... non-traditional... tactics at this point, and flips the ship upside down, before rapidly accelerating towards the ground, in the hopes of crushing the giant and the fairy.
    Well I can't speak for the fairy, but Jakob will tighten his grip and drive his head into the glass one more time hoping to shatter it. Whether or not this succeeds, Jakob will give A.P. one last violent bloody grin just as they're about to hit the ground.

And then he discorporates.

More specifically, he let's go of his grip on the solid illusion that made up his body, causing it to fade away, and leaving him a powerless floating brain once more. Now some people might call this a win for Apprentice-Pilot, since it will take Jakob awhile to build himself another body, and it might put him out of the main battle for at least the first half hour until he can make one that's battle worthy (his standards of battle worthy anyway.)

But me? I call this a victory for the ground.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

[EtherAin Manor]

The ground does win, I think. It's a worthy opponent. Tallying the score, it's at Ground: 3 A.P.: 0.

15. - Top - End - #375

[EtherAin Manor]

The ground does win, I think. It's a worthy opponent. Tallying the score, it's at Ground: 3 A.P.: 0.
    EtherAin Manor

Well Jakob will begin to float back to the manor, not bothering to check on his fallen opponent. If the man lives, he lives and that's all there is to it in Jakob's opinion.

Besides, he must report on this aborted assault to his current master, and begin constructing another body immediately if he's to see any more combat this day. The new body will not be anywhere near as good, as it will be hastily made and he's already been pushed to his limit with that expansion trick, but it will have to do.

Hopefully Quinn won't mind being stuck on cleanup detail too much, assuming he survived that divebombing.

Unless he's stopped, Jakob will float all the way back into Lord EtherAin's chamber, looking rather unlike he did when he first arrived. But when he speaks his voice should be recognizeable.

"We have been attacked."

Way to go Jakob, as if they couldn't tell that by the massive earth shattering impacts that have been going on for the last few minutes.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Pixie in the Playground

EtherAin Manor

Quinn wasn't actually on the plane, so he's fine. He does, however, check the plane to see if AP survived.

Also, he doesn't mind cleaning up.
    Last edited by ZarethG; 2011-10-15 at 01:42 PM.
    Awesome Faerie by Ceika

Yay paradoxes!

17. - Top - End - #377

Quote Originally Posted by The Alexandrian View Post
    [Temple of Dalachrech]

[Percival]

This is more like the type of master Eericka is accustomed to. Percival is a demonazi. The last thing Eericka would want to do is fail him. It would do Percy some good to remember quid pro quo. Eericka has been tasked with caring for him when he is physically damaged. I'm not sure he'd like his medic despise him.

"Err, thank you, master?"

Eericka isn't quite sure how to respond to Percy's threat/assurance. Dealing with him will be difficult at best.

-----

[Hermitage of Dalachrech - Elezibethele]

Flesh-eating maggots! Do giant killer flies grow from them? It's funny how environmentally friendly the temple staff is. Most folks would just burn the trash. They wouldn't go through all the trouble of breeding organisms to recycle it.

Also, one has to ask why the slaves would try to escape from this building what with all the overgrown trapdoor spiders residing just outside an all that. The slaves have a much better shot at survival if they remain inside at all times.

The slaves just sort of nod. Mine really doesn't like the sound of all of this, but he has lived with the notion that this would occur someday for the entirety of his life.

-----
    [Hermitage of Dalachrech - Azurelle]

Azurelle truly is a sadist. Why she would lock away such kind, meek people is beyond me.

"And how can we avoid sleeping in here, mistress?"

Triplet number three questions, entirely sure that she will not like the answer she will be receiving, if any.

-----
    [A Quiet, Peaceful Bay]

"Yeah. I'm fine. Tired but fine."

Valaira grins excitedly! This is great! Zero is here!

"How'd you end up finding me, anyway?"
    I was able to use magic.

Zero says, trying to remember where else the spell had said Valaria's fragments might be found.
    Last edited by DoomITP; 2011-10-15 at 02:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Pixie in the Playground

[A Quiet, Peaceful Bay]

I'm not so sure that the spell revealed the location of more than one fragment of Valaira when it was initially cast.

"'My sister' would really like to see you again. She just goes on and on about how wonderful you are. It gets annoying pretty quickly. She should be at the top of that hill right over there"

Surfer-girl-Valaira points to a mountain over to the right before disengaging from the hug and beginning to swim for the shore. Zero might note that she is headed away from where she indicated the second piece of Valaira would be found.

19. - Top - End - #379

Don't you want to go back to being one person?

Zero asks when he notices that the Valaira fragment is walking away.
    Last edited by DoomITP; 2011-10-15 at 03:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Pixie in the Playground

[A Quiet, Peaceful Bay]

Valaira paddles away. She is still swimming in the bay, to the best of my knowledge.

"I can't be away from the ocean for long stints of time. That is what kept me from coming back to GLoG to find you. I have to remain right here. Once you locate my sisters, we'll figure out a way to make this work."

21. - Top - End - #381

Alright, I'll try to be back soon.

Zero says before heading up to the mountain where the other Valaira fragment might be located. As Zero walks he does his best to ignore the fact that using his power made him tired.
    Last edited by DoomITP; 2011-10-15 at 03:58 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    EtherAin Manor

Quinn wasn't actually on the plane, so he's fine. He does, however, check the plane to see if AP survived.

Also, he doesn't mind cleaning up.
    [EtherAin Manor]

He is indeed alive, and very annoyed.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Pixie in the Playground

[Steep, Steep Mountain]

A large mountain. Well, that is what Valaira called it, right?

It isn't actually a mountain that Surfer-girl-Valaira sent Zero toward. Nope. It's more like a vertical, rough rock column extending up beyond the clouds with a magnificent, gigantic building spilling over its sides, resting at the very top of the pillar of stone.

There are notches, holes, and ridges in the mountain that should allow Zero to climb the titanic thing over the course of a few ways. Of course, Zero might be able to blow through the base of the pillar had he enough explosives. That'd be quick. It might squish the Valaira hidden up there too. Flying might be best. Decisions, decisions.

24. - Top - End - #384

Zero would really rather not fly since he is tired already but he would be even more tired then that if he tried to climb this pillar. He breathes slowly and as he does so, blue sparks gather around Zero, causing him to rise into the air and then he attempts to fly towards the top of the pillar.
    Last edited by DoomITP; 2011-10-15 at 04:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Pixie in the Playground

[EtherAin Manor]

He is indeed alive, and very annoyed.
    Quinn helps AP up telekinetically.

"Are you okay? If you surrender now, I can guarantee you safety."
    Awesome Faerie by Ceika

Yay paradoxes!

26. - Top - End - #386
    Pixie in the Playground

[Steep, Steep Mountaintop]

So long as Zero's power should not fail him, he will arrive in front of a giant, elaborate, ancient columned building that appears to be the Library of Alexandria that was reportely lost in a great conflagration so very long ago. Two huge doors two times the size of an average man and three times as high appear to be the primary entryway to the structure.

Fascinating.

27. - Top - End - #387

Zero lands in front of the library and then will attempt to open the door.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZarethG View Post
    Quinn helps AP up telekinetically.

"Are you okay? If you surrender now, I can guarantee you safety."
    "I am unharmed. Your terms are... Acceptable."

29. - Top - End - #389
    Pixie in the Playground

[Library of Alexandria]

The heavy doors creak open. The chamber inside the building is spacious and grand. The marble floors, columned interior, and shining walls lined with books stacked and carefully arranged within great wooden bookshelves extending from the floor to the top of the fifty foot ceiling. Ladders are strewn about. In the very center of the room a girl sits on the floor, a pile of documentation on genetics (where'd that come from) lying next to her.

It is Valaira wearing glasses.

She doesn't appear to have noticed Zero as of yet.

30. - Top - End - #390

Is that you, Valaira?

Zero asks as he continues trying to walk towards the center of the room.