1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default (3.5) The Dusts of Time(IC)

The Players:

Obscurejones Angus Dunsirn, Amnesiac Necromancer True Neutral -> Green

jinx1016 Jurix Verderen, Amnesiac Factotum True Neutral -> Red

GFawkes Nitimble, Amnesiac Gnome Shadowmaster Chaotic Neutral -> Purple

stanleyindraven Mencru of the Long Death, Amnesiac Psion Uncarnate Lawful Neutral -> Lime

RCGothic Sylvia Sunrider, Amnesiac Warblade Neutral Good -> Blue

------------------------------------------------------

You wake up, seemingly from an endless slumber, your eyes tired and your skin burning with the heat of the sun. But as soon as you start to recover your senses, you see that's not the only sun. Two suns cover the sky, one small, the other big, the small very red, the other almost white.

The sands extend to the horizon, with occasional furious sandstorms obscuring the blazing heat of the twin suns. Vast dunes, coming and going, the grains of sand fine and whitish. And then you realize, that at the very horizon, where one particular vicious sandstorm was raging, you can glimpse the sight of sentient construction. From the distance, you can see nothing but pillars, and a very high tower, which the top is obscured by the sand and wind.

In the immediate vicinity, as you glance, there seem to be nothing but dust and sand. The whitish sand reflects the light of the twin suns and creates a mirage of the dusk-like sky, as the red from the smaller sun taints the pure white of the largest one. You can see that you are not alone... 4 others shared the same fate as you, but what fate you know not. Actually, you know nothing. Neither your name, neither whence you came, your history... All is a huge blank. Uncannily, you can discern your own capabilities, but know not how or when you acquired them. The possessions you carry likewise, are known to you in form and function, though you know not where you acquired them, nor when.

All you know is a faint, distant visage of what may or may not be a city, or just ruins... Maybe even an illusion from the heat. Otherwise, you're all stray in the vast, whitish and fine-grained sands of the desert.
    Last edited by brujon; 2011-10-01 at 04:40 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Do i or do i not?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: (3.5) The Dusts of Time(IC)

"At least I have a good pair of boots," the brown haired man says to no one in particular. "Hey you, any of you, who are you and where are we!"
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

the human male stands up and brushes some sand off his shoulders. I was about to ask you the same thing. As for your query, I have no idea where we are. I do not even recall how or why I am here.
    Last edited by jinx1016; 2011-09-29 at 08:18 AM.
    All posting from me is on hold until life issues are resolved. sorry to DM's and fellow players for the inconvenience.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

I wake up with a start, alarmed by the unfamiliar surroundings. My hands sink into the fine desert sand as I push myself upright, and I nearly lose my balance. Though being in unfamiliar circumstances is disconcerting enough, far more troubling is how I can't remember anything, neither how I came to be in this situation, nor even my own name.

I notice that I'm not alone, but my first instinct is to check the status of my wargear as two of the men start to make statements that confirm their similar lack of understanding. I check my armour first - finely crafted mithral, which although sand has had enough time to work its way into rather uncomfortable places is still unblemished and cool to the touch in the scorching heat, a fact I'm immensely grateful for, considering the state I would now be in if it hadn't. These properties speak of the gear being enchanted with wards of protection. Just above my left hip I find an engraving of a chrysanthemum with the stem curled into a pair of stylises letter 'S's.

I check my other gear, and realise that this mark is on my shield, and all of my weapons as well. Most impressive of all is the horimono on the magnificent katana hanging at my belt, where the SS is formed from two embossed chrysanthemum's intertwined. I start to recall technical details of the forging process, and realise that I myself must have crafted these weapons, though I still can't the names denoted by the 'S's.

I stand and survey the landscape, with its waving dunes, harsh dust storms and in the distance the bright shape of a tower. I turn to my fellow amnesiacs and gesture towards the tower.

"Is everyone in one piece? We'll need shelter before one of these sandstorms hits up, and that tower seems like the best bet. It's also our most likely start for finding out what happened to us. You can call me 'S' for now - my initials were on my kit; I haven't managed to recall anything else yet."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Jolting awake and springing to his feet in a burst of sand and streamers the redhead looks about frantically. He sends a hand flying to his belt and then breathes a heavy sigh of relief when his hand meets leather and not iron. He checks that his vest and cowl are still snugly secured before he speaks.
    I'm... Huh. Well I'm at least sure that's a good idea. Say, I don't suppose any of you are a paladin?
    As he waits for an answer he searches thee skies overhead for demons. Breathing a second sigh of relief when they seem clear.
    Chaotic Evil Orc Barbarian as my character of choice since 2002.
    Current Josiah, God of Decay Avatar by Akrim.elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Black Blur ™ By kpenguin Full Orc Barbarian By Qwernt

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The bigger sun seems to be setting, slowly diminishing light, going into a reddish hue of dusk, as the red sun is still at 12'o clock position. The sands scintilate as the hue changes, and you can see some weird little bugs starting to crawl out of their hiding holes. They make funny chirping and metallic noises, almost as if they were grinding metal. And they seem a bit frantic, going about the place running seemingly to no particular direction. They're small, and seem harmless.
    Last edited by brujon; 2011-09-29 at 09:01 PM.
    Do i or do i not?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The redhead pause and watches the beetles scamper for a moment. Tries to remember if any of his tricks to raise the dead would function on an exoskeleton.
    Darned invertebrates.
    Realizing that the scampering might be a bad sign he redoubles his speed towards the tower.
    I'd hurry before nightfall, friends.
    Last edited by Obscurejones; 2011-09-29 at 09:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

"Well those bugs are certainly disconcerting! I agree, we should keep moving. As for being a Paladin, I don't know. I feel like maybe I could be one? DETECT EVIL!" I point at the redheaded one who made the comment. A distinct lack of evil detection occurs, and I grin at my silliness. "Guess not."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

the human leans down to pick one of the creatures up. well these look fascin.... he stopped mid-sentence as if slapped. I hear something, it sounds like it's coming up through the ground... and it's moving fast. we should probably move, and quickly.

knowledge checks.

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge nature
    (1d20+15)[29]

knowledge geography
    (1d20+8)[11]

looking for any information on where we might be, what the bugs are, and what could be coming.
    All posting from me is on hold until life issues are resolved. sorry to DM's and fellow players for the inconvenience.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As the lean human picks up one of the bugs and study it for a moment, it bites his hand and leaves a horrifying shriek, mimicked by every insect in the vicinity. They soon stop their scampering and seem to gather into a mass.

Everyone make a DC 20 Will Save

Roll Initiative!
    Do i or do i not?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

The Redhead yelps at the shifting roil of insectine doom and tries to ready himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+1)[15]
    Will Save (1d20+11)[26]
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

the human drops the bug and recoils.ouch! it bit me.

rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    initiative
    (1d20+9)[29]

will save (using cunning inspiration)
    (1d20+13)[19]

arcanna check that didn't work properly before
    (1d20+15)[25]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

At the same time the roiling mass of insects assemble into a vaguely humanoid shaped form, clockwork like and shambling, shrieking wildly, the rumbling of the sands suddenly stop. You all feel that sense that something lurks below...
    Do i or do i not?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

As the awful shriek echos around the dunes, I find myself instantly falling back on an instinctive counter, steeling my mind against fear. I swiftly draw my katana and prepare myself for battle!

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+7)[25]
    Moment of Perfect Mind DC20: (1d20+15)[25]
    Knowledge checks:
    Arcana: (1d20+5)[8]
    Dungeoneering: (1d20+5)[8]
    History: (1d20+5)[20]
    Local: (1d20+5)[6]
    Nature: (1d20+5)[8]
    The Planes: (1d20+5)[11]

Manoeuvres left: 4/5.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2011-10-01 at 04:14 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Will (1d20+11)[19]
    initiative (1d20+2)[19]
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

@jinx1016 & stanleyindraven

As you failed your saves, you're currently frightened.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A frightened creature flees from the source of its fear as best it can. If unable to flee, it may fight. A frightened creature takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. A frightened creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape.

Rolling initiative:

[roll]1d20+10[/roll]
    [roll]1d20+2[/roll]
    [roll]1d20+2[/roll]
    Last edited by brujon; 2011-09-30 at 04:32 PM.
    Do i or do i not?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Trying again...
    (1d20+2)[12] B1
    (1d20+2)[3] B2
    (1d20+10)[20] S1

Ok so far:

RcGothic:25
    Stanley: 19
    Obscurejones: 15
    Jinx: 29
    Last edited by brujon; 2011-09-30 at 04:35 PM.
    Do i or do i not?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jinx1016 View Post
    did we lose Gfawkes before the game even started?
    I don't think so... I'll send him a PM.
    Do i or do i not?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry! I must have not subscribed to the OOC post and then things went downhill from there. Let's just say I was asleep until now, the shriek woke me up.

[IC]
    Nitimble groans as he moves up, mumbling something about school. He turns his head and sees a group of people acting defensive, and decides to join them. "So what'd I miss?" he asks, getting ready to call illusions.

Spoiler
    Show

Will Save: (1d20+9)[21]
    Initiative: (1d20+6)[7]
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

the human begins to tremble at the sight of the growing swarm. that's a clockwork swarm, it can be hurt by weapons of any kind, and it laughs at most of the elements especially electric and cold, with the exception of sound. he covers his ears with his hands. don't listen to the shriek it will be the end of you!

the human starts to run in the other direction in a state of near panic. we need to flee before the two sand sharks underneath us pop up to get some lunch!

actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    cover my ears and run away from the swarm lol

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Battle Grid
    Spoiler
    Show

Initiative Order:

Jinx: 29
    RcGothic:25
    Clockwork Swarm: 20
    Stanley: 19
    Obscurejones: 15
    Landshark1:12
    GFawkes: 7
    Landshark2: 3

The two Landhsarks are currently burrowed and thusly do not appear on the grid.
    Last edited by brujon; 2011-10-01 at 04:09 PM.
    Do i or do i not?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

"In that case, blast it whilst I keep it busy!"

I quickly slip into Pearl of Black Doubt, two-hand my katana and charge the swarm.

Spoiler
    Show
    I charge the swarm with Power Attack/Combat Brute(8) (1d20+12)[5](17)
    Critical Confirm (Battle Ardor): (1d20+16)[19]
    Damage: (1d10+33)[35]
    Critical Confirmed, total damage = 70

AC for following round: 22
    TouchAC: 14
    Flat Footed: 19
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2011-10-03 at 02:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sylvia valiantly charges towards the crawling mass, her katana cutting through the air as she goes, a vacuum created behind her blade as she goes faster, and faster. The mass of bugs is struck smack dab in the middle, the blade clearly cutting top to bottom as her blade strikes true.

The shrieks stop for a second, as the panicked clockwork insects/creatures crawl on top of each other trying their best to avoid being the ones crushed beneath her blade.

The cut as swift as air makes clean, clear slices of a myriad bugs, and they fall motionless towards the ground. But thousands of bugs remained on either side, reforming back into the humanoid mass, seemingly unaffected by the attack.

Soon it's clear that the swarm has decided the immediate threat, the screechs now even more high pitched and the thousands of eyes focusing only one person, the fair and lithe maiden Sylvia.

Spoiler
    Show
    The attack actually didn't hit the Swarm's AC, but since it wouldn't actually matter as the description would be the same(Swarms are immune to weapon damage), i'm dramatizing a bit here(It's nicer than just say the 10ft/10ft swarm just dodged cohesively[And information that the attack missed is important]). Also, the attack wouldn't be a critical because you didn't roll a natural 17, but a 5, with +12 totalling 17. Graph updating positions will come later. I'll asume Jinx took a double move to retreat behind the party. Sylvia is now in front of the swarm. It's also important to note that the Landsharks are still somewhere in the battlefield, but burrowed. The listen DC to pinpoint them as they're underground, under sand none less, is epic, to say the least.
    Do i or do i not?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

I take half a pace back as the swarm reforms before me undamaged. "Um, guys? Little help?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The young, unarmored man moves five feet backward while drawing an ordinary looking dagger and then raises and forcefully drops his foot releasing a shockwave through the sand.

Spoiler
    Show

Concentration: (1d20+24)[40]
    Manifest Greater Stomp: (Complete Psionics p 99)
    DC 20 Reflex or save for no damage. If fail save take damage and fall prone.
    Damage: (7d6)[20]

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: My armor is not currently active.
    Last edited by stanleyindraven; 2011-10-03 at 07:54 AM.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Angus squints at the swarm and frowns. Begins the steps necessary for casting one of his more potent spells.
    They're alive, right? Not constructs? As long as they're alive I think I can help.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holding a standard action until I can get a response. Also, I suppose a few checks to see if Angus can just tell if they're alive.
    Knowledge religion(1d20+17)[25]
    Spellcraft(1d20+17)[30]
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Forgot to have the swarm action. On swarm's turn it moves to Sylvia's position[just one square of the swarm actually moves...](Provokes AOO's). It attacks Sylvia.

(1d20+15)[24]
    if it hits then: (3d6)[11] damage to Sylvia.
    NO HIT

reflex save for the swarm vs greater stomp: (1d20+10)[26]
    if it fails swarm takes: (7d6)[25] damage.
    SWARM SAVES

Description: As the human stomps hard into the ground, a fissure is made in the direction of the swarm. The little clockwork creature's scamper rapidly and avoid that most of them fall into the sandy hole that's created.(No damage taken)

@Obscurejones Factotum's rolls already established them a non-living clockwork swarm. (I'll make the Monster Data available to all once it's defeated, also, Knowledge: Religion tells you it's not undead.) Spellcraft roll tells you it's the product of strong Conjuration magic.
    Last edited by brujon; 2011-10-03 at 09:53 PM.
    Do i or do i not?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Moving his hands in a complex motion, Nitimble calls upon dark tentacles to rise from the ground and engulf the swarm, pulling it into the ground and out of the dimension.

Spoiler
    Show

Not quite sure if I'm threatened or not, so I'll roll Concentration to be on the safe side.
    Concentration Roll
    (1d20+17)[36]

Casting Shadow Well on the swarm (Will Save to negate). If it fails the save, it goes to the Plane of Shadow for 11 rounds and comes back frightened for (1d4)[2] rounds.

EDIT: This happens after Obscurejones's move, if he chooses.
    Last edited by GFawkes; 2011-10-03 at 11:14 PM.
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Angus grumbles as he realizes that a magical construct would probably shrug off his most potent spells. Holds his spell back to deal with the source of that ominous rumbling.
    Or, rather I think I can handle the sharks. Not so good with constructs.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Sylvia

I swing again at the swarm as it comes at me, even though I'm now pretty sure the effort is futile - I might still put it off its attack.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+18)[11](29)
    Critical Confirmation: (1d20+18)[22]
    Damage: (1d10+9)[15]

My attack cleaves a great many of the bugs, but once again the swarm seems unharmed. Nevertheless, it buys me time to dodge out of the way.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2011-10-05 at 01:54 AM.