New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Dancing Fox Inn II: Title, Title, Who's Got The Title?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOfWar View Post
    The edge in the Tiefling’s voice and his readiness for an unpleasant encounter had Raennal tense, but upon hearing Sorrow’s request she drops even more of her wary look and replaces it with kindness.

“That,” she tells him, “is a perfectly reasonable desire.” She glances out the window again before continuing.

“If this were my homeland I would offer to set them up with a small tract of land of their own and a horse and plow on loan. It’s hard work, but a good life. Here, however, I will be seeking work myself over the next days. Unfortunately I am not in a position to personally hire five people at the moment, but a new day could lead anywhere, so, please tell me of your friend’s skills so that I can decide if there are any ways I might help.”

She pauses briefly before continuing, “If racial prejudice is the main barrier, then there many things that can be done. If any of your friends are personally known in the community as thieves however… it will make building trust much harder. Not impossible, just harder. I do not want to crush any hopes, but I believe in speaking the truth as I have experienced it.”
    He nods, looking relieved.

"Fear and I are the only ones likely to be known as thieves. As for what they can do, all of them are good at hiding, and with their weapon of choice. Then it gets down to the individuals... Torment is good at magic, especailly that of combat and necromancy, Carrion is an expert at valuing things, and determining what killed someone, Despair makes a good leader, at least of small groups, and is fairly good at planning ways to get in and out of places, War is an excellent fighter with almost anything, and also makes a fair leader, and Weary is a realtively skilled healer. And, of course, they're all practiced at using their name-weapons."

2. - Top - End - #932
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Lady Raennal listens attentively to Sorrow's description. Occasionally she nods in response to something he says. When he is finished she takes a long moment to think before replying.

“War and Weary may be the easiest for me to help. Those skilled in combat must also be strong and work abounds for anyone not afraid of physical labor. In Weary’s case, would he or she be interested in setting up as a healer by trade? I would add that judging by your earlier description, most also possess nimble fingers and quick minds. Those too can be assets. Do any of your friends speak languages besides Common? That can frequently be of benefit when seeking work.” The mention of name weapons draws her eyes to Sorrow’s weapons. “If you do not mind my inquiring, what is a name-weapon?”

3. - Top - End - #933
    Barbarian in the Playground

The fluffy pony continues speaking to his new friend in Equine. “He follows the ways of the Rhaemarr, the horse people of the plains. He feeds us before he will eat, he waters us before he will drink, he brushes our coats morning and night, he sleeps beside us and learns our ways. He knows when I am pleased, when I am angry, when I am tired. He asks me to work, but does not force me. To his ancestors we are sacred.”

The pony pauses to suspiciously eye a bit of trash blowing by in the breeze. Then he continues. “In return, I carry him across the plains and look after him. Humans are weak, they could not live in the Northlands without us.”

The fluffy caramel pony nuzzles the boy and Thein scratches just behind the pony’s ears, where the crown of the bridle can become itchy. “He’s my friend.” Caramel sums up his speech in equine.
    Songdancer nodded knowingly.
    "Thein, your pony speaks highly of you." he said as he turned towards Thein.
    "You sound like a very good boy, so I'm going to give you a very high honor among my people, if you'll accept."
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

4. - Top - End - #934
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Songdancer nodded knowingly.
    "Thein, your pony speaks highly of you." he said as he turned towards Thein.
    "You sound like a very good boy, so I'm going to give you a very high honor among my people, if you'll accept."
    “I would be honored to accept.” Thein replies to Songdancer, smiling, “But first, could you tell Caramel something for me? I always knew they could talk, and I’ve always wanted to tell him, in his own tongue, ‘Thank you,” and “I love you.” The day Lady Raennal gave him to me was the happiest day of my life.”

The cool evening breeze continues to blow by, most of it blocked by the building. Thein had tied the horses by the long ropes attached to their halters on the protected side of the building. He buries his cold fingers in his pony’s well-kept mane and keeps scratching the equine’s favorite spot behind the ears.

“Oh, and add that I’m sorry I have to tie him up when we’re in towns. I wish I could let him loose all the time like we do on the plains, but Lady Raennal says we can’t have people thinking the horses are loose. They might try to take them. Please could you tell him?"

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

Lady Raennal listens attentively to Sorrow's description. Occasionally she nods in response to something he says. When he is finished she takes a long moment to think before replying.

“War and Weary may be the easiest for me to help. Those skilled in combat must also be strong and work abounds for anyone not afraid of physical labor. In Weary’s case, would he or she be interested in setting up as a healer by trade? I would add that judging by your earlier description, most also possess nimble fingers and quick minds. Those too can be assets. Do any of your friends speak languages besides Common? That can frequently be of benefit when seeking work.” The mention of name weapons draws her eyes to Sorrow’s weapons. “If you do not mind my inquiring, what is a name-weapon?”

"We can all speak fairly fluent Abyssal, and know how the languages change in the Cities Below. Some of us have a bit of elven, or a touch of dwarven. AS for name-weapons, they're a weapon of some kind, with powers tied to the name of the one it is bound to. For example, my knives can make one feel deep sadness, or do the opposite."

6. - Top - End - #936

“I would be honored to accept.” Thein replies to Songdancer, smiling, “But first, could you tell Caramel something for me? I always knew they could talk, and I’ve always wanted to tell him, in his own tongue, ‘Thank you,” and “I love you.” The day Lady Raennal gave him to me was the happiest day of my life.”

The cool evening breeze continues to blow by, most of it blocked by the building. Thein had tied the horses by the long ropes attached to their halters on the protected side of the building. He buries his cold fingers in his pony’s well-kept mane and keeps scratching the equine’s favorite spot behind the ears.

“Oh, and add that I’m sorry I have to tie him up when we’re in towns. I wish I could let him loose all the time like we do on the plains, but Lady Raennal says we can’t have people thinking the horses are loose. They might try to take them. Please could you tell him?"
    "Why don't you tell him yourself?" he said as he leaned toward's Thein's ear and quickly explains how to say what he wanted to say in Equine.

He then took out a fitted saddle from his saddle bags and put it on his back.
    Busy with Life

7. - Top - End - #937
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post

"We can all speak fairly fluent Abyssal, and know how the languages change in the Cities Below. Some of us have a bit of elven, or a touch of dwarven. AS for name-weapons, they're a weapon of some kind, with powers tied to the name of the one it is bound to. For example, my knives can make one feel deep sadness, or do the opposite."
    “Do any of you speak Elven well enough to teach it to another? I wish to learn, and I want Thein to know the Elven tongue as well. It is important that he know the major languages of our realm. I could hire a tutor immediately, it would not be enough for a regular job, but would be a bit of honest work on the side.”

She squints a little at Sorrow’s blades. “Is the magic that allows that in the blades then, or are you Talented?”

"Why don't you tell him yourself?" he said as he leaned toward's Thein's ear and quickly explains how to say what he wanted to say in Equine.

He then took out a fitted saddle from his saddle bags and put it on his back.
    Thein tries mightily to make the sounds come out right, but in the end fails rather miserably. Caramel, however, seems to understand enough and he nuzzles his nose against Thein.

Thein, Caramel and the war horse all turn to Songdancer to see what he will do next. The equines have their ears pricked forward, showing interest.

8. - Top - End - #938

Songdancer has his left side facing Thein.
    "Thein, get on my back."
    He seemed ready to go trotting!
    Busy with Life

9. - Top - End - #939
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Songdancer has his left side facing Thein.
    "Thein, get on my back."
    He seemed ready to go trotting!
    Thein is clearly eager to go for a ride. He is just short enough to actually ride the pony, though he does have to tuck his knees up a bit. “You sure I’m not too heavy?” Thein asks. Thankfully he is rather lean for his age. Songdancer will find Thein has the light, balanced seat of an experienced horseman.

If the pair still have those handlebar mustaches they must make quite the sight!

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

“Do any of you speak Elven well enough to teach it to another? I wish to learn, and I want Thein to know the Elven tongue as well. It is important that he know the major languages of our realm. I could hire a tutor immediately, it would not be enough for a regular job, but would be a bit of honest work on the side.”

She squints a little at Sorrow’s blades. “Is the magic that allows that in the blades then, or are you Talented?”
    "Despair, perhaps. Though if it is your elven I don't know. And I'm not certain what you mean by Talented, but... We made the blades, by giving a portion of our identities a physical form. Does that help?"
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2011-12-04 at 09:05 PM.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

“Yes, that does help. In my land we would consider that a form of Talent. I should like to meet your friends, then I would know if Despair speaks the same Elvish as the Elves to the southwest of my homeland. Is there a time that introductions could be made?”

She is continuing to glance out the window at intervals. It is a little distracting, but it is also clear that she is trying to keep an eye on Thein.

“I must begin looking for work tomorrow, would there be a time soon after that or tomorrow evening?” she shifts her weight as though she is ready to depart soon.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

The Tiefling shrugs, and smiles.

"Whenever works best for you. It's not as as though she has many other appointments."

13. - Top - End - #943
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Excellent." Lady Raennal replies, as she stands up. "Then we shall meet here around sundown." She return's Sorrow's smile. "Now to see what Thein is up to out there..." Her eyes stray out the window again. "Have a lovely evening." She bids Sorrow as she heads for the door.

((See you all later! When I don't know because my schedule is weird this week))
    Last edited by LadyOfWar; 2011-12-04 at 09:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

"And you as well, Lady Raennal.", Sorrow says, returning to his job.

15. - Top - End - #945

Naku, un-deadtiming (again), and seeing that Sorrow isn't tied up anymore, says, "Sorrow. Come here for a minute, please."
    She asks, beckoning him over with a finger.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorrow heads over to her, looking mildly nervous.

17. - Top - End - #947

Sorrow heads over to her, looking mildly nervous.
    "You didn't tell me that you had others that aren't around here.
    Which is my fault, as I didn't ask.
    But . . .
    If you want, they're welcome to come here, even if it's just temporary.
    My offer of welcome is open to anyone who needs it."
    Show

I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    "You didn't tell me that you had others that aren't around here.
    Which is my fault, as I didn't ask.
    But . . .
    If you want, they're welcome to come here, even if it's just temporary.
    My offer of welcome is open to anyone who needs it."
    Sorrow smiles at her, looking grateful and relieved.

"Thank you, Naku... I'll tell them that."

At which, he places his hand on the hilt of his knife, which starts to glow softly.

19. - Top - End - #949

Sorrow smiles at her, looking grateful and relieved.

"Thank you, Naku... I'll tell them that."

At which, he places his hand on the hilt of his knife, which starts to glow softly.
    "Good.
    We're all . . . slightly non-humanoid here; all your friends are welcome here, and I will do my best to keep everyone here safe.

Mkay?"

Naku asks, smiling slightly at him.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good.
    We're all . . . slightly non-humanoid here; all your friends are welcome here, and I will do my best to keep everyone here safe.

Mkay?"

Naku asks, smiling slightly at him.
    "Okay. We might be able to help out with that, actually... Some of the things we can do are pretty good for getting people to calm down, or at least making them not fight."

21. - Top - End - #951

"Okay. We might be able to help out with that, actually... Some of the things we can do are pretty good for getting people to calm down, or at least making them not fight."
    "That would actually be much appreciated.
    Though we haven't had a fight yet, s'just a matter of time until we do.
    Especially if that BLOODY ELF WON'T SHUT UP!"

Naku yells at the elf, who just raises his tankard in a toast, and grins.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #952

Thein is clearly eager to go for a ride. He is just short enough to actually ride the pony, though he does have to tuck his knees up a bit. “You sure I’m not too heavy?” Thein asks. Thankfully he is rather lean for his age. Songdancer will find Thein has the light, balanced seat of an experienced horseman.

If the pair still have those handlebar mustaches they must make quite the sight!
    Well, Songdancer never made them disappear, nor did Thein ever shave his off, so they might still have them...
    "You're light as a feather." Songdancer replied, easily holding Thein up on his back.
    "You ready to ride like you've never rode before?"
    Busy with Life

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

"That would actually be much appreciated.
    Though we haven't had a fight yet, s'just a matter of time until we do.
    Especially if that BLOODY ELF WON'T SHUT UP!"

Naku yells at the elf, who just raises his tankard in a toast, and grins.
    Sorrow nods.

"Then we'll be happy to help if it's needed."

24. - Top - End - #954
    Banned

Well!
    Naku un-deadtimes again!

And, even though I wasn't here, to seeing the butterfly, she would have replied with: "Oh, that's a Mothran Blood Drinker.
    I suggest not letting it too close."

Well, or that's what they are from wherever she's from.

And now, Naku's back to humming to herself, and cleaning off the counter some more.
    S'always dirty.
    Ashtrek stares at the Butterfly.

"Prepare to die, EVIL FOE!" She growls.

25. - Top - End - #955

Sorrow nods.

"Then we'll be happy to help if it's needed."
    "And I appreciate it.
    Is there anything I can get for you at the moment?"

Naku asks, raising an eyebrow at him, and smiling slightly.
    She likes her kids.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

"And I appreciate it.
    Is there anything I can get for you at the moment?"

Naku asks, raising an eyebrow at him, and smiling slightly.
    She likes her kids.
    And they like her.

"Considering the state of the kitchen, not at the moment."

27. - Top - End - #957

And they like her.

"Considering the state of the kitchen, not at the moment."
    "That . . . is a good point.
    Gimme a bit."

Naku says, disappearing into the remnants of the kitchen.
    (Not to be seen, as I would think that at least even a blanket was hung up to cover it, or something.)
    Show

28. - Top - End - #958
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Well, Songdancer never made them disappear, nor did Thein ever shave his off, so they might still have them...
    "You're light as a feather." Songdancer replied, easily holding Thein up on his back.
    "You ready to ride like you've never rode before?"
    “I’m ready for anything you are!” Thein says with gusto. He grabs a handful of Songdancer’s purple mane, just in case he’ll need it to steady himself, but he does not pull on the pony’s hair.

Just then Lady Raennal steps out of the Dancing Fox’s door. She takes in the entire sight at a glance. The twin mustaches warrant a brief squint of confusion, then she just smiles slightly and shakes her head as a rather exasperated mother would. “I should have known you’d end up riding anything equine we encounter.” She says to Thein.

After giving Songdancer a quick glance over Raennal clearly decides that the cute, brightly-colored black and purple pony means her young friend no harm. “Bring him back in one piece.” She says to Songdancer.

Then she turns back toward the door. "I'll be inside, getting keys to our rooms. Don't go too far." She tells Thein.
    Last edited by LadyOfWar; 2011-12-05 at 08:05 PM.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

"That . . . is a good point.
    Gimme a bit."

Naku says, disappearing into the remnants of the kitchen.
    (Not to be seen, as I would think that at least even a blanket was hung up to cover it, or something.)
    Sorrow nods, and waits.

Fear continues observing the patrons.

30. - Top - End - #960

“I’m ready for anything you are!” Thein says with gusto. He grabs a handful of Songdancer’s purple mane, just in case he’ll need it to steady himself, but he does not pull on the pony’s hair.

Just then Lady Raennal steps out of the Dancing Fox’s door. She takes in the entire sight at a glance. The twin mustaches warrant a brief squint of confusion, then she just smiles slightly and shakes her head as a rather exasperated mother would. “I should have known you’d end up riding anything equine we encounter.” She says to Thein.

After giving Songdancer a quick glance over Raennal clearly decides that the cute, brightly-colored black and purple pony means her young friend no harm. “Bring him back in one piece.” She says to Songdancer. Then she tucks her fingers under her arms to keep them warm and settles her weight back on her heels as if she is planning to wait here for a bit.
    Oh!
    Oooooohohooohohohoh!
    You haven't met the elf yet!

He's a slightly crazed looking elf, sitting off at a random table, nursing a mug of something, and mumbling about 'lost treasure' and 'bloody dragons'.

Aaaand a few moments after Naku heads behind the blanky, she comes back out, grinning.
    "Ready?"
    She asks Sorrow.
    Show