New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Shadow Assassin [3.5, PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilarian View Post
    Spellcasting: Seems like this would be a candidate for Shadow Magic, from Tome of Magic. Nothing wrong with arcane spellcasting, just thought Shadow Magic would be better, flavorwise.
    It sounds cool, but I'm not familiar with it, other than hearing that it's quite weak.

If you don't use Shadow Magic, you should find more Darkness spells. I know there are a few (though the only one I know is in Ravenloft, and damages characters that aren't evil). The Darkness Domain may be of use. I especially think Armor of Darkness should be on your list. You may also be interested in Assassin spells in the Spell Compendium.
    I might make up a supplemental list, but for now I only included spells found in core.

Sneak Attack: This might be best off as Sudden Strike. Do you care if the Shadow Assassin flanks to get his bonus damage?
    It doesn't quite fit the flavor, but this is primarily in the interests of keeping him relevant in combat.

Surprise Strike: This is on the table, but I don't know what it is for. I think you should replace it with Darkness as a spell-like (or even supernatural) ability 1/day, increasing uses every few levels until eventually it's at will. Maybe even make it so that its spell level equals half your Shadow Assassin level?
    Whoops- it was an ability I took off.

Death Attack: (DC 10 + the Shadow Assassin’s Int modifier). I wouldn't use it. If I wanted to use death attack I'd rather go into assassin, or wait until level 18 for Killing Blow. You should add 1/2 Shadow Assassin level.
    <snip>
    Whisper of the Night: Shouldn't this be in only shadowy illumination?
    Good catches.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by motionmatrix
    Change the Share the night ability to only affect his darkness effects, extend duration to hours per level, since as it is written now he can technically give them Share the Night at will anyways.

That should help with the party issues.
    Good call.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YouLostMe View Post
    And spells when hiding works if they're Somatic and/or Material-only. Darkness uses a Verbal component--you can't speak a spell and not have anyone notice you.
    This actually gives me an idea. You know how all bardic spells need a verbal component? As the shadow assassin has a pretty limited list, why not say that none of its spells have verbal components?
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    This actually gives me an idea. You know how all bardic spells need a verbal component? As the shadow assassin has a pretty limited list, why not say that none of its spells have verbal components?
    Ooo... I approve.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Free silent spell is not a bad idea at all. But unless the spell list is really balanced, it can be game breaker real fast. I would probably either allow him to cast silent if he ups the spell level by one, but not change the casting time.

Or instead give him charges per day, like 3 times per day the next spell he casts is silent and still: He does not turn invisible, he simply hides well so still is beneficial and flavor fitting. Then let him gain a few more uses as he levels up.

Also, on my previous post I meant to state that based on your fluff on the class, it would also make sense that share the night does not give full blown darkvision to everyone, since you make the shadows seem to follow their own whims, just loving the Shadow assassin

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

True, it is weaker than arcane. Perhaps have it as an acf?

Does this replace the standard assassin, or can they be taken together? It might be worthwhile to include a clause for Shadow Assassin/Assassin builds. Perhaps instead of gaining new spellcasting, taking levels in PrC Assassin let you add the classes spell list to the Base Shadow Assassin spell list (1st level spells at 1st level, 2nd at 4th level, 3rd at 7th, 4th at 10th), and either have the last level of PrC Assassin grant Killing Blow to the character, or have the levels stack for the purpose of determining when the character gets death attack related abilities.

Regardless, Death Attack should have a clause in it that says if the Shadow Assassin gets Death Attack from multiple sources, they stack. For Example: A Shadow Assassin 7/ Assassin 4 with a 16 Int makes a death attack. The DC is 10+1/2 Shadow Assassin level (3) + Assassin level (4) + Int modifier (3) for a total of 20.

Note: The reason I'm pushing Shadow Magic is because a) I really think it's thematically appropriate, b) while Shadow Magic is weaker than arcane spellcasting it is still full 9 levels of magic and c) Shadow Magic only has one official class.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilarian View Post
    Does this replace the standard assassin, or can they be taken together? It might be worthwhile to include a clause for Shadow Assassin/Assassin builds. Perhaps instead of gaining new spellcasting, taking levels in PrC Assassin let you add the classes spell list to the Base Shadow Assassin spell list (1st level spells at 1st level, 2nd at 4th level, 3rd at 7th, 4th at 10th), and either have the last level of PrC Assassin grant Killing Blow to the character, or have the levels stack for the purpose of determining when the character gets death attack related abilities.

Regardless, Death Attack should have a clause in it that says if the Shadow Assassin gets Death Attack from multiple sources, they stack. For Example: A Shadow Assassin 7/ Assassin 4 with a 16 Int makes a death attack. The DC is 10+1/2 Shadow Assassin level (3) + Assassin level (4) + Int modifier (3) for a total of 20.
    You're right. I'll add a sidebar.

Note: The reason I'm pushing Shadow Magic is because a) I really think it's thematically appropriate, b) while Shadow Magic is weaker than arcane spellcasting it is still full 9 levels of magic and c) Shadow Magic only has one official class.
    I have no real objections; I'm just not familiar with the material-- I don't even own the Tome of Magic, and while a friend owns the book, I've only really looked at the Truenamer. If you want to draw up an ACF, I'd be happy to post it and give you credit.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll include Mouseferatu's fixes within the design, where applicable. He's the creator of the shadowcaster. Those that don't apply are struck out, my comments are bolded

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseferatu
    I'll do you one better. I'll post the latest version, which has a few further tweaks from the one I posted a while back. It still needs playtesting, so I can't swear it's all going to work as written, but this where it stands now.

1) Charisma determines the DC to save against your mysteries. Intelligence determines the highest level mystery you can cast. Like the Standard Shadow Assassin, it is all determined by Intelligence

2) Grant bonus mysteries per day based on Charisma. These would work just like bonus spells. For instance, if your Cha is 14, you can cast one extra mystery of 1st-level equivalent and one of 2nd-level equivalent per day. (Note that each mystery does give an equivalent level, even though you don't learn them by level.) Again, Intelligence

3) Eliminate the rule that says you have to take mysteries in a given Path in order. If you want to jump around, so as to broaden your versatility, you can.

4) Within a category—Apprentice, Initiate, Master—you must have at least two mysteries of any given level before you can take any mysteries of the next higher level. For instance, you must have two 1st-level mysteries before you can take any 2nds, and at least two 2nds before you can take any 3rds.

5) Eliminate the rule that says you get a bonus feat equal to half the number of paths you have access to. Instead, you get a bonus feat equal to the total number of Paths you complete. Thus, while you are no longer required to take the entirety of a given Path, there's still encouragement to do so. This is a seperate ability not gained by Shadow Assassins

6) You may “swap out” mysteries, just as a sorcerer does spells known. If you “un-complete” a Path in this way, however, you lose access to the bonus feat you gained from completing that Path. (You can regain access by re-completing the Path, completing a different Path and choosing that feat as your new bonus, or selecting that feat as a normal feat at your next opportunity.) Again, seperate ability

7) Once your Apprentice Mysteries become supernatural abilities, change the save DC from 10 + equivalent spell level + Cha to 10 + 1/2 caster level + Cha. This makes them useful even against high-HD opponents, and follows the pattern for other supernatural abilities. Intelligence again. Note that standard Shadow Assassins never gain this ability. Currently the only way they can is through Favored Mystery, as far as I know.

And here's the rough draft.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shadow Assassin Mysteries
    The standard Shadow Assassin is a wielder of spells and stealth, a killer that hides in the shadows. Some Shadow Assassins forgo arcane abilities in favor of plumbing the depths of darkness. These Shadow Assassins use Shadow Magic, described in Tome of Magic in greater detail.
    Class: Shadow Assassin
    Level: 1st
    Replaces: You do not gain Shadow Assassin Spellcasting. Weapon and Armor proficiency is modified.

Benefits: The Shadow Assassin gains Fundamentals and Mysteries like a Shadowcaster. Replace the Spellcasting ability with Fundamentals of Shadow (gained at 1st level) and Mysteries and Paths (gained at 2nd). Modify Weapon and Armor Proficiency.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Replace the word "spells" with the word "mysteries".

Fundamentals of Shadow (Su): As a shadow assassin, you must master certain basic powers before proceeding to deeper secrets of shadow. These powers, known as fundamentals, function as supernatural abilities usable three times per day. You begin play with two fundamentals and gain an additional fundamental at 5th level and every 5 additional levels beyond 5th. You can, when gaining a new level, choose a new fundamental in place of another mystery. When choosing a fundamental, you can relearn an already known fundamental, thus gaining another set of uses of that fundamental per day. The save DC of any fundamental is equal to 10 + your Int modifier.

Mysteries and Paths: You do not cast spells as other classes do, but instead invoke mystical secrets called mysteries (see ToM p. 139-153). You know one mystery at 2nd level and gain one additional mystery every class level after 2nd level except 5th, 9th, 13th and 17th levels. Up to 10th level, you can learn only apprentice mysteries. At 11th level, you gain access to initiate mysteries. You can choose your new mystery from any category you have access to (including fundamentals). For instance, at 12th, you could select either a fundamental, an apprentice mystery, or an initiate mystery.

Shadow Magic progresses in very specific stages. Within a category (apprentice or initiate), you can only learn mysteries of a new level if you have learned at least two mysteries of a previous level. For example you cannot learn Flicker (the third mystery of the Ebon Whispers path) until you know at least two 2nd level mysteries.

Mysteries represent thought patterns and formulae so alien that other spells seem simple in comparison. As you progress, however, your connection to the Plane of Shadow grows stronger, and your mysteries more ingrained in your essence. When you are capable of casting only apprentice mysteries, you cast them as though they were arcane spells. They all have somatic components, armor based spell failure chance, and are subject to interruption (but they do not require material components, foci, or verbal components). Whenever you cast a mystery as an arcane spell, observers can make a DC 15 Spot check to note that your shadow is making different gestures from the ones you make when you cast the mystery (see ToM, p. 138).

At 11th level, when you become capable of casting initiate mysteries (whether or not you choose to learn any), your apprentice mysteries become so much a part of you that they now function as spell-like abilities, and they no longer require somatic components. Your new initiate mysteries (when you learn them) function as arcane spells and follow the rules described above.

You can learn a mystery more than once. Each time you relearn a mystery, you gain another set of uses of that mystery per day.

You can use each mystery you know a certain number of times per day depending on whether it is cast as a spell (once) or a spell-like ability (two times). If you gain the ability to use mysteries as a supernatural ability (usually through the use of Favored Mystery) the save DC becomes 10+1/2 your caster level + your Intelligence modifier instead of 10 + mystery level + your Intelligence modifier.

You gain bonus Mysteries based on your Intelligence modifier. These work just like bonus spells. For instance, if your Int is 14, you can cast one extra mystery of 1st-level equivalent and one of 2nd-level equivalent per day.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered shadow assassin level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a shadow assassin can choose to learn a new mystery in place of one he already knows. In effect, the shadow assassin "loses" the old mystery in exchange for the new one. The new mystery's level must be the same as that of the mystery being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level shadow assassin mystery the shadow assassin can cast. A shadow assassin may swap only a single mystery at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the mystery at the same time that he gains new mystery known for the level.

I also had some ideas for Mysteries, but these are completely optional. While I think they should be balanced I'd like to have a 2nd (and 3rd, and 4th, etc.) opinion.

Spoiler
    Show
    APPRENTICE PATHS

SHADOWSTEEL ARMORY
    1 Assassin's Dagger: Summon a dagger made from the shadows.
    2 Shadow Chain: Summon a chain shirt made from the shadows.
    3 Execution at Dawn: Summon a greataxe made from the shadows.

MYSTERIES
    Assassin's Dagger
    Apprentice, Shadowsteel Armory
    Level/School: 1st/Conjuration (Creation)
    Range: Personal
    Duration: 10 minutes/level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

You draw the energy of the shadow, forming it into a dull grey dagger, sharp enough to easily slide into a victims vital areas.

You conjure a dagger into a free hand. It has the same stats as a standard dagger. This weapon can be modified to be made of any materials a dagger can be made of, or made as a masterwork dagger. Doing so (or enchanting the weapon with Dusk's Blade) requires a day long ritual that costs the same as it would to be made, minus the weapons base cost. For example, creating an masterwork cold iron dagger needs a ritual that costs 600 gold. It can also be enchanted as a normal weapon. After modifying or enchanting it (or having someone else enchant it) the dagger will have the same stats whenever you summon it. The weapon disappears when it leaves your hand (if you throw it, it disappears after it strikes) and must be summoned again. If it is destroyed, the pieces disappear and you cannot summon it again for 1 day.

Executioner's Axe
    Level/School: 3rd/Conjuration (Summoning)
    Duration: 1 round/level

You draw the energy of the shadow, forming it into a silver axe that reflects no light, but does reflect your victims most vulnerable area.

You conjure a greataxe into your hands (as long as they are free). It has the same stats as a standard greataxe. This armor can be modified to be made of any materials a greataxe can be made of, or made as a masterwork greataxe. Doing so (or enchanting the weapon with Execution at Dawn) requires a day long ritual that costs the same as it would to be made, minus the weapons base cost. For example, creating an alchemical silver greataxe needs a ritual that costs 180 gold. It can also be enchanted as a normal weapon. After modifying or enchanting it (or having someone else enchant it) the greataxe will have the same stats whenever you summon it. The greataxe disappears if you drop it and must be summoned again. If it is destroyed, the pieces disappear and you cannot summon it again for 1 day.

Shadow Chain
    Level/School: 3rd/Conjuration (Summoning)
    Duration: 1 minute/level

You draw the energy of the shadow, forming it into a dark chain shirt that shifts hues with the shadows.

You conjure a chain shirt onto your body. It has the same stats as a standard chain shirt. This armor can be modified to be made of any materials a chain shirt can be made of, or made as a masterwork chain shirt. Doing so (or enchanting the armor with Midnight Armor) requires a day long ritual that costs the same as it would to be made, minus the weapons base cost. For example, creating an adamantine chain shirt needs a ritual that costs 5,000 gold. It can also be enchanted as normal armor. After modifying or enchanting it (or having someone else enchant it) the chain shirt will have the same stats whenever you summon it. The armor disappears if you take it off and must be summoned again. If it is destroyed, the pieces disappear and you cannot summon it again for 1 day.

Shadowsteel Enchantments

Dusk's Blade
    Only Assassin's Dagger can have the Shadowblade enchantment. A Shadowblade weapon deals one extra point of damage per sneak attack die.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Dusk's Dagger; Price +1 bonus.

Execution at Dawn
    Only Executioner's Axe can have the Execution at Dawn enchantment. An Execution at Dawn weapon can be used to make a death attack after 2 rounds of study rather than 3 if the wielder has the ability to make a Death Attack. This bonus also reduces the time for Killing Blow, when used against a creature normally immune.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Executioner's Axe; Price +1 bonus.

Midnight Armor
    Only Midnight Chain can have the Armor of Darkness enchantment. An Armor of Darkness chain shirt can be used to cast Darkness as a supernatural ability once per day.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Midnight Chain; Price +1 bonus.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Reduced the power of the mysteries. It's only an Apprentice Path.
    Last edited by Nihilarian; 2011-11-19 at 09:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Immediate Action invisibility only in darkness at 17th level is really weak. I'd grant it much earlier, and then improve it until, at 17th level, they get Superior Invisibility as an Immediate Action at-will. The equivalent of a single, contingent 8th level spell at-will, and not a very powerful one at that, is perfectly in line with a Tier 3-4 class.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!