New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] HT's plots

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider's ears flicker at her touch and he can't help but burrow closer to her, nuzzling against her neck. "Morning..." he mumbles sleepily.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta is reluctant to get up. Being under the blankets with him is far warmer than the crisp, morning air. But alas, they must get moving. "Come on, sleepy head, it's time to get up." She wishes he'd slept more as they'd traveled. It's almost cruel to wake him when he's finally gotten a good night's rest.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

The Wolfen gives a slightly annoyed growl, but she'll be able to tell he doesn't mean it. Instead, he nuzzles against her and licks her collar bone before opening his eyes. "Stay under the warm blankets. I'll get us going again." He tells her. Unless stopped, he'll slip away, and a short while later, the carriage will be moving again.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta does as instructed. After he leaves she sits up and tightly wraps the blanket around herself.

They end up going down a wide cobblestone path that winds it's way through thee trees. It's quiet for now, but soon there are a few other people on the road. These are humans, wearing simple, worn clothes. They look at the wolfen curiously as they pass, but none pause in their daily routines.

Soon enough, they come upon their destination. It's almost hard to notice at first. The buildings blend in with the forest around them. Some are half in a tree and half made of stone, some wrap around the trunks and some disappear into the side of a hill. Everything's a little too neat to really feel natural, however.

Then of course there are the people. Here are the elves, dressed in finery coloured to match the forest around them. Unlike the humans, a few of which are keeping their heads down among the elves, they are always clean and well groomed. Where humans may look at Waterstrider with curiosity, the elves show disdain at best, if they acknowledge his presence at all.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider doesn't bow his head at all. He had too much pride and self-respect to lower himself for them. He'll walk the mule and carriage a little ways into the town before stopping and checking in on Renetta. "Renetta? We're here. Do you know the way?"

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta looks nervous. Very nervous. It's clear she knew exactly what the people are like here. At least most of them. Not that that wasn't to be expected.

The elf nods. "Yes, I still know the way. They wouldn't have moved. Our home has been in our family for generations. I can come out and guide you."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider will help her out of the carriage gently. "The moment you get tired or feel sore, you're going back in." He says sternly with a hint of a smile.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta smiles back at him. Calm your nerves, Renetta. It's going to be okay. "Then I better go back in right now, shouldn't I?" She jokes. Like she can avoid being sore, though it isn't too bad.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider gives her a slightly worried smile before nodding slightly at her quip. "Which way then?" He asks, keeping a watchful eye on how the people around are reacting.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

The sight of a pregnant elf with him certainly draws a few more looks, but no one seems to recognize her. Most just busy themselves with their own business. They're nothing more than an interesting source of gossip for later.

Renetta takes a moment to take stock of her surroundings then points. "That way. Come on." And off they go. The elf will walk right beside him, as close as she can without getting under his feet.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider will guide the mule wherever she tells him to. "Renetta...no matter what happens. Thank you."

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

The elf looks up at him, surprised. "Why are you thanking me? You're the one that's done so much for me. I should be thanking you."

Meanwhile, an older elf man stops in his tracks to look back at them after passing them by. He stares after them a moment before just shaking his head and moving on.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother Soon's Journey

"Because." He tells her with a teasing smile and leaves it at that. He could have told her that it was because she gave him something beautiful to look at every day. That it was because being near her made him feel warm and whole. Or that he loved her.

He could have told her all three.

But they were in her home, a place she may decide to stay in, and he couldn't drop all that on her. Not yet.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta smiles back at him, and they continue on. It's not too much later that they stop before a building. The elf stops before it. "This is it."

The Oronar house fits the theme of the city quite well. much of the building is set inside a hill, a sheer edge acting as the front side of the building. Seated atop that is the rest of the building, ornately crafted of stone and spotted with large windows. As if growing from the building, a large tree sits on top of it, casting it's shade over the entire area. If they look closely, they can see windows in the tree's trunk. It's quite a large, rich building.

Renetta takes her first step onto the cobble path that leads to the building. Pausing for just a moment, she continues toward the house, presumably with Waterstrider in tow.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider hitches the mule to whatever is available and slips his arm in Renetta's to help support her. He gives her an encouraging nod. "I'll be here."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Renetta doesn't object. He'll feel just how tense she is. She looks at the large double doors, framed by two exposed roots, and takes a deep breath. She knocks.

The person that opens the door is a young, human man. He's quit handsome and dressed in well made, if simple, clothing. His eyes widen when he sees the wolfen, but that doesn't compare to his shock when his eyes settle on Renetta. "Lady Renetta!"

"Hello, Samuel. Would- would you please get my parents." The elf says, squeezing Waterstrider's arm.

"Of course, m'lady. It won't be more than a moment." He gives a brief bow before hurrying off.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

After the look the man gave him, Waterstrider begins to feel uncomfortable. Not only was it obvious that he probably wasn't going to be very welcome in the house if the humans were like that, he didn't know Renetta was probably Upper Class from the looks of things. He gives the elf a small smile, but is obviously nervous as well.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Like promised, it isn't long at all before Renetta's parents arrive. Her mother first. She definitely looks related to Renetta. Her hair is the same red, though piled atop her head. She wears a green gown trimmed with gold. She looks like quite the dignified woman. Less so now that she's rushing toward her daughter.

"Renetta! Thank the Stars, we thought you were dead." She wraps her daughter in a tight embrace, not thinking about her swollen stomach, or her wolfen companion. It's not long before tears are streaming down both their faces.

Next her father arrives. Dressed in finery, much like his wife, and his blond hair is smoothed back. He surveys the scene with his cold, green eyes. He takes careful note of his daughters, and Waterstrider will find himself pierced by his gaze for a long moment. He moves to his wife and daughter's side and places a hand on Renetta's shoulder. "Welcome home, daughter."
    Last edited by Gullara; 2011-11-25 at 12:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider looks the two parents over before stepping aside a bit to give the three their room. He knows when he shouldn't be involved, and this is one of those times. After a moment's thought, he heads back to the carriage to grab Renetta's bag. Out of the sight of the elves, he puts his pouch of gold in it too. He doesn't need it, and while he doubted she did, it felt better for her to have it.

Once he does that, he'll head back to the doorstep with her bag over his shoulder.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

"Samuel will get the servants to get you something to eat and you can tell us what happened. I- I just can't believe after so long that you're back. We have so much to talk about." Lydia, Renetta's mother, reluctantly releases her daughter. They are about to go to the dining room, when she adds, almost as an after thought. "You are of course welcome to come too..."

"Waterstrider." Renetta finishes for her. She turns her smiling face on the wolfen.

"Yes, it would be a pleasure if you'd stay. I'm sure we'd both like to hear from the... man that brought our daughter home." Ardrim, her father, says.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider gives Renetta a slight smile before giving a deep nod to her parents. "Thank you. I promise I won't be a burden on you." He offers before following them inside. He guesses that the father calling him a "man" was for Renetta's benefit, but he really does appreciate the gesture.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

They makes their way into the large dining room with an equally large table. They all take their seats clustered around one end. Renetta winds up between her mother and Waterstrider while her father is seated opposite of them. Food is soon served to them. It's high class eating... but not particularly filling.

Renetta only nibbles at her food, more focused on the coming conversation. It's only a matter of time before she's asked why she disappeared. She doesn't go into any great detail of her time in the slave caravan, only saying that she was abused. She speaks of their rescue and briefly of their time in GLoG. Even telling them in such minimal detail brings her to tears. Lydia comforts her and best she can.

"Where do you come into all this, Waterstrider? As I understand it, you were taken into slavery as well? It was very noble of you to come all this way to bring Renetta back to us." Ardrim's mind is already racing ahead to other, more important matters, but all in due time.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

The Wolfen doesn't eat much of the food either, but goes about nibbling on it anyway. When asked the question, Waterstrider takes a deep breath before going into his own story. "My brother and I were out hunting when we were drugged and captured. You can probably figure that Wolfen make good laborers." He explains. "Most of the time, we were locked up with a family of halflings, and protected them as best as we could, but were eventually chained up tighter than we could fight." He admits. "During that time..."

The Wolfen shakes his head sadly, not caring to repeat it all. "My brother and I promised ourselves that we'd make sure that all the others would be free and taken care of. When we were freed, I decided to help Renetta." He tells them while giving her a gentle smile. He's leaving out the parts about how he fell for her, and Renetta would know it, but he's doing it so she can tell them in her own time.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

Ardrim nods, as if something has been made very clear to him. "And what of the child?" His voice grows noticeably more cold and something in his eyes becomes accusatory as he looks at Waterstrider.

Renetta is quick to answer. "She's... It was one of the slavers." Renetta says, looking down at her stomach.

Her father's expression is impossible to read as he takes this in. Lydia on the other hand is clearly horrified by this.

"I see." His eyes flit back to the wolfen. "I do hope you will be staying with us, at least for the night. You must be weary from your long journey."

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

"Thank you, sir." Waterstrider gets the hint and his ears fall back slightly. He was only going to be allowed the one night here. That much was clear. It seemed he wasn't wrong in the promise to Lily. He was going to be returning much sooner than anticipated. "If I may suggest, while it's been a long time since you've seen each other, she should probably rest. Or at least lay down somewhere comfortable. Is there a room I should take her things to?"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

"You're absolutely right. Come Renetta, you're room is still empty." Lydia helps her daughter to her feet and starts guiding her out of the dining hall and toward where her bedroom presumably is.

Ardrim stands as they're leaving. "Let's join them, shall we? Bring along her bag." And presumably those two will follow along the two womem.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Coffin Hunting]

Well, this seems obvious. They're going to have to confront the man, aren't they? Durin takes a few steps toward him, sword ready. "We need out, and you are going to let us out." he informs the man.
    [Coffin Hunting]

The man finishes his music and finally turns around to look at the three slayers. He has a large unkempt beard and a wide smile, with fangs.

"Oh! Am I now? And what makes you think I'm going to do that?"

He gets up and stands up straight. Dang, he's tall. He crosses his arms across his chest and gives them a lopsided grin.

"So, did you manage to get that vampire, then?"

The Rot in Durin's head stays silent, again withholding information unless the drowpire actively seeks it.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.
    Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

Waterstrider takes Renetta's bag up to her room and stands, watching her patiently and nervously for any sign of her needing him. Regardless of whether or not her parents were watching, he saw it as his place to help her with anything she required.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mother-Soon's Journey]

It's a bit of a walk to Renetta's room. They go up a couple floors, then a spiral staircase. Off a small landing is the door in. The inside of the room is spotless and unlived in. It's likely that the only reason it doesn't have a layer of dust over everything is the servants coming in every so often.

Renetta and Lydia move into the center of the room, while Ardrim, and no doubt Waterstrider, stop at the door. "We will leave you two to get ready to sleep. Goodnight, Renetta."

"Goodnight, Father." Renetta looks to Waterstrider, hesitant. She moves toward him and tries to wrap her arms around him. "Goodnight, Waterstrider. I'll see you tomorrow."

Her father waits by the door for Waterstrider to finish and follow her out. He can't completely hide his frown.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Mother-Soon's Journey

The Wolfen holds Renetta gently, returning the hug. "Good night. And remember, I'll be here if you need me." He swears before he's made to move out of the room with her Father.