New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Hypothetical Drizzt Movie

If thhere were to be a Drizzt movie, what would be your ideal cast, and what book(s) would it be based on?

My Opinion ...
    Book: Homeland.
    Drizzt: Andrew Garfield.
    Zaknafien: Hugh Jackman.
    Malice: Teri Hatcher.
    Vierna: Karen Gillain.
    Maya: Dakota Fanning.
    Briza: Rachel Nichols.
    Rizzen Do'Urden: Stephen Lang.
    Young Drizzt: Joel Courtney?

More coming soon ...
    Last edited by Chainsaw Hobbit; 2011-10-17 at 08:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Drizzt Movie

About time! Who is staring in ....Oh. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Drizzt Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    About time! Who is staring in ....Oh. Sorry.
    After realizing that the title was misleading, I fixed it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hypothetical Drizzt Movie

Drizzt - Christopher Walken

I'm serious. As already-released DND movies have shown, this one would be mediocre at best and most likely terrible. The fact that the source material is far from stellar doesn't help. With Walken, we'd at least get some entertainment out of it.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

frown Re: Hypothetical Drizzt Movie

With all honestly your right, though I would love to witness a Drizzt movie, it would probably be screwed over, because who wants to spend thousands of dollars to entertain a bunch of nerds.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

The people who made the first and second Dungeons and Dragons movies maybe? And I'm pretty sure they are making a third.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ol' Driz struck me as as character who was a psychopath whose player decided to put Chaotic Good on their character sheet, especially in the Crystal Shard trilogy; he took way, way, to the power of way too much pleasure in killing other sentient beings, however evil they may have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Drizzt - Christopher Walken

I'm serious. As already-released DND movies have shown, this one would be mediocre at best and most likely terrible. The fact that the source material is far from stellar doesn't help. With Walken, we'd at least get some entertainment out of it.
    But its Christopher Walken. Christopher. How can it be Christopher Walken if he's the main character? I can't follow this, how can I?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Given that this movie would be bound to be a catastrophe - the books were mediocre at their best, and just bad for much of the time, though never truly awful - I'd say go for broke and try and get a cheesy, campy film that one enjoys despite them self, or enjoys ironically*, or some similar vein. It needs to be animated, and not particularly well. It needs to have poorly written dialog, and it needs to include Drizzt's terrible angst filled narrations. Moreover, it needs to be structured like a silent movie, with the angst filled narrations being on screens before relatively short bits of animation.

Then it needs absolutely stellar voice acting, as a counter point. Start with Christopher Walken as basically any older character. Alternately, just poach the entire Cowboy Bebop team.

*Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure what enjoying something ironically would constitute. Nor am I convinced that the concept of ironic enjoyment is as valid as its proponents suggest.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Given that this movie would be bound to be a catastrophe - the books were mediocre at their best, and just bad for much of the time, though never truly awful - I'd say go for broke and try and get a cheesy, campy film that one enjoys despite them self, or enjoys ironically*, or some similar vein. It needs to be animated, and not particularly well. It needs to have poorly written dialog, and it needs to include Drizzt's terrible angst filled narrations. Moreover, it needs to be structured like a silent movie, with the angst filled narrations being on screens before relatively short bits of animation.

Then it needs absolutely stellar voice acting, as a counter point. Start with Christopher Walken as basically any older character. Alternately, just poach the entire Cowboy Bebop team.

*Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure what enjoying something ironically would constitute. Nor am I convinced that the concept of ironic enjoyment is as valid as its proponents suggest.
    The image of that movie sends chills down my spine. That is much better suited for Harry Potter than Drizzt.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Have Morgan Freeman do voiceover dialogue for every character, men and woman. The nonstop drone of his soothing voice might lull people to sleep so they forget what an awful movie they're watching.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Have Morgan Freeman do voiceover dialogue for every character, men and woman. The nonstop drone of his soothing voice might lull people to sleep so they forget what an awful movie they're watching.
    I would simultaneously be chuckling with mirth and crying with despair.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If there are ever aliens, I want Morgan freeman to learn their language and speak to them as our emissary. =I

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    If there are ever aliens, I want Morgan freeman to learn their language and speak to them as our emissary. =I
    Why do I feel like Peter Cullen would be even better?

(Frank Welker of course will already speak their language and teach either one)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

If you mean just an Underdark/Menzoberranzan film (like your own example), I'm not entirely sure. Been a while since I read those books. As for Andrew Garfield as Drizzt, I have no idea, haven't seen him in anything (besides that Doctor Who two-parter). I'll have to wait until Spider-Man to judge. Jackman as Zaknafein would be pretty cool, though.

Of course, I'm not quite sure who to cast in an adaption of later books either, never been really good at this. Scarlet Johannsen as Catti-brie, maybe? *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    But its Christopher Walken. Christopher. How can it be Christopher Walken if he's the main character? I can't follow this, how can I?
    Well, he can always talk about the ice breaking.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2011-10-16 at 03:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    As for Andrew Garfield as Drizzt, I have no idea, haven't seen him in anything (besides that Doctor Who two-parter). I'll have to wait until Spider-Man to judge..
    He was pretty awesome in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, which was better than its 7.0 rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    Jackman as Zaknafein would be pretty cool, though.
    He looks like he could be Andrew Garfield's father, too.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Muse View Post
    If thhere were to be a Drizzt movie, what would be your ideal cast, and what book(s) would it be based on.

My Opinion ...
    Book: Homeland.
    Drizzt: Andrew Garfield.
    Zaknafien: Hugh Jackman.
    Malice: Teri Hatcher.
    Vierna: Karen Gillain.
    Maya: Dakota Fanning.
    Briza: Rachel Nichols.
    Rizzen Do'Urden: Stephen Lang.
    Young Drizzt: Joel Courtney?

More coming soon ...
    *Andrew Garfield?!? He does not look the part to me. Does anyone else think that drow should be played by black actors(or other very dark skinned people)?

*Hugh Jackman?!? Does not fit. Morgan Freedman would fit this role though.. or Lawrence Fishborn

*Teri Hatcher? As Malice? Talk about a bad fit. You want the 'creepy old lady vibe here' such as Whoopi Goldberg.

*Karen Gillain as Vierna? Again not a good fit. How about Thandie Newton.

*Dakota Fanning as Maya?

*Rachel Nichols as Biza? Zoe Saldana would be perfect here!

*Wesley Snipes would do fine as a Do'duren brother
    *Michale Dorn can play any random drow, or better a 'monster' type

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtide View Post
    *Andrew Garfield?!? He does not look the part to me. Does anyone else think that drow should be played by black actors(or other very dark skinned people)?
    I don't. Dorw have black, not brown skin, and I was under the impression that they had fair features.

*Hugh Jackman?!? Does not fit. Morgan Freedman would fit this role though.. or Lawrence Fishborn
    The former is way too old, and the ladder is just off.

*Teri Hatcher? As Malice? Talk about a bad fit. You want the 'creepy old lady vibe here' such as Whoopi Goldberg.
    Actually, both the actors we proposed are too old. Homeland said that Malice was as young and beautiful looking as she was at age 100. Teri Hatcher was pretty creepy in Coraline, and I think she could pull Malice off.

I don't see why not.

*Dakota Fanning as Maya?
    Maybe she is a little young ...

Actually, good point.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

*Dakota Fanning as Maya?

*Wesley Snipes would do fine as a Do'duren brother
    *Michale Dorn can play any random drow, or better a 'monster' type
    i dont think the actors' race matters much. Make-up is pretty cool nowadays. Look at the Morlock king from time machine ('02). No, Jeremy Irons is not that pale!

I think the point the OP was emphasizing in his cast was that the drow are young looking, wicked, and beautiful. My guess is that looking at Malice, you shouldn't be able to tell that she might be any older than an adult drizzt. Same for Zak and the others. So while I don't think hugh jackman is a good fit (though he does look like an older Garfield), Whoopi Goldberg is out of the question. Freeman and Fishburne are too old. Freeman could narrate it of course, though. I think all the OP's female roles were great picks.

But all that aside, I'd like to echo the thought that this would make a horrible movie. The source material was a nice read when I was 14, but once you get past the themes that are now cliches, you really have a rather mediocre book. I don't care to see a film adaptation. Maybe a cartoon....

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    i dont think the actors' race matters much. Make-up is pretty cool nowadays. Look at the Morlock king from time machine ('02). No, Jeremy Irons is not that pale!

I think the point the OP was emphasizing in his cast was that the drow are young looking, wicked, and beautiful. My guess is that looking at Malice, you shouldn't be able to tell that she might be any older than an adult drizzt. Same for Zak and the others. So while I don't think hugh jackman is a good fit (though he does look like an older Garfield), Whoopi Goldberg is out of the question. Freeman and Fishburne are too old. Freeman could narrate it of course, though. I think all the OP's female roles were great picks.

But all that aside, I'd like to echo the thought that this would make a horrible movie. The source material was a nice read when I was 14, but once you get past the themes that are now cliches, you really have a rather mediocre book. I don't care to see a film adaptation. Maybe a cartoon....
    The problem is getting the public to understand that its not blackface. And honestly, that would be impossible because it is. So yeah, I'd argue not to make the movie unless you could get a convincing black cast.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a really odd view. Black people aren't literally black-skinned. Drow are. I don't really see the connection. If anything, it gives unfortunate implications to cast mainly black actors as drow.
    Last edited by Athaniar; 2011-10-17 at 01:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

If the movie wasn't going to be based on Homeland, some of my casting decisions would be ...

Jarlaxle: Vincent Caso (although he might be too young).
    Catti-Brie: Evanna Lynch. It would have to be Evenna Lynch. It just would.
    Wulfgar: Chris Hemsworth. He was epic as Thor.
    Bruenor: Ken Scott.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    The problem is getting the public to understand that its not blackface. And honestly, that would be impossible because it is. So yeah, I'd argue not to make the movie unless you could get a convincing black cast.
    Drow are not "black", as in a dark brown melanin, but black like black.
    It's probably not too big an issue unless someone decided to make it one. Almost all Klingons, who were a dark brown, were actually in makeup.
    And I don't just mean the ridges.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Drow are not "black", as in a dark brown melanin, but black like black.
    It's probably not too big an issue unless someone decided to make it one. Almost all Klingons, who were a dark brown, were actually in makeup.
    And I don't just mean the ridges.
    That being fairly strong precendent, I will concede the point. I tend to have very little faith in these things as to what the media will and will not make a huge deal out of.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    That being fairly strong precendent, I will concede the point. I tend to have very little faith in these things as to what the media will and will not make a huge deal out of.
    I know the bias you speak of. I also have little faith. But that should have no bearing in a discussion over a project that most can agree would be an utter disaster in practice .

As I see it, this thread is about who in real life could best portray this set of fictional characters.

The best possible take on it as an actual movie that I could imagine is that:

1) It must be animated. The surely low budget would require this outright.

2) It must be a comedy. Or perhaps even a farce (like Blazing Saddles). Any attempt to ask adults to take such an animated book adaptation seriously will end in failure. And frankly, parodies of Drizzt clones are far more entertaining than the actual character in recent times. It would be cute to see Drizzt as his own parody clone. Not to mention comedic characters like Regis, Bruenor, Ivan and Pikel, Thimbledorf Pwent, the Harpels, ect... Come to think of it, Salvatore does comedy better than he does action/drama in all honesty.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Salvatore does comedy better than he does action/drama in all honesty.
    Salvatore comes by here about once a year and even though I don't really read his books anymore I do like going seeing him at signings as he's a fun guy. If you would believe what he says when he talks about his books it's almost like trying to sneak jokes was almost all he was trying to do and it was more his editors that made him tone it back to something more serious.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2011-10-18 at 11:58 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Salvatore comes by here about once a year and even though I don't really read his books anymore I do like going seeing him at signings as he's a fun guy. If you would believe what he says when he talks about his books it's almost like trying to sneak jokes was almost all he was trying to do and it was more his editors that made him tone it back to something more serious.
    That's an interesting nugget of information there. I wonder how he would have compared to someone like Pratchet if he'd had his way...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

The thing about Homeland is that it was only interesting because of the drow. Drizzt's character is solid only in the context of the utterly depraved society around him, without it, he becomes any other D&D hero. I think the only real chance a movie based on him has to be good is to realize this. It needs a writer at the helm who's going to realize what drew people to Homeland most, and who resists the urge to portray the people around Drizzt as 2-D villians who do things because they're evil.

And while I'm at it, I also want a million dollars and a supermodel wife or husband.
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2011-10-19 at 12:33 AM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Well, there has been good, even excellent film based on bad books.
    The novel Ben Hur was based on has been described as "the worst novel ever", and The Godfather, well, I've read it. It's fun in a pulpy way, but the movie wisely cuts some scenes and plotlines and does the ones it keeps much better. A Drizzt movie could work if that standard holds.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Well, there has been good, even excellent film based on bad books.
    The novel Ben Hur was based on has been described as "the worst novel ever", and The Godfather, well, I've read it. It's fun in a pulpy way, but the movie wisely cuts some scenes and plotlines and does the ones it keeps much better. A Drizzt movie could work if that standard holds.
    Thing is, I did like Homeland, but it was strong because of the drow, not Drizzt. Soujourn was also pretty good, and the rest were okay.
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2011-10-19 at 01:23 AM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.