New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

C 991: Soulspammer (name pending) (respond to these points)
    With 6th-level entry, that (probably) means 3 levels warlock, 2 levels incarnate (or vice versa). Also, it's not nice to cut off player builds, so that means this one goes to 11 15.

Incarnum Invocations are all pretty terrible (except drain incarnum, which is... OK). Just so the warlock doesn't feel like they're being forced to decide between the coolness of incarvocations and being useful, I'm giving these for free.

In D&D 3e, theurgy drops your vertical power (access to higher-level abilities) in favor of greater horizontal power (more abilities to choose from). However, the warlock and incarnate are very vertical classes--the warlock is locked into their ability choice and pretty much relies on new invocations to be useful, while the incarnate gets so few soulmelds that you could shape all the good ones at once. So every little loss of vertical power is a punch in the goddamn face to your build, which means we need/get to compensate with wicked-good horizontal power. However, when a player combines two vertical classes, there's a chance he wants his build to be vertical. If you don't want the classic theurge and instead want a vertical powerhouse, this is your opportunity to post it here.

Invocations and meldshaping are in no way near the capacity of almost every kind of spellcasting, so we can add actual class features most of the way and not feel bad.

This will, as usual, be aimed at Tier 3 characters. If you want me to up- or down-regulate, just ask.

In the interests of flexibility, I'd prefer this class to be as open as possible. My recent attempts have shown me that making something for the warlock means it's pretty much locked up in flexibility, but I am optimisting about meldshaping and will thusly make this class as vague as possible in the hopes that curious totemists and disillusioned soulborns will perhaps also join the Inarlock's ranks. Is this OK?

C 992
    I could do a martial controller, but I can't do it as a monk "fix". There's so much that needs to get added and switched around. I could write up a martial artist class that knocks people around and call it a monk if you're OK with that, or we can wait for another post to come around.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    C 992
    I could do a martial controller, but I can't do it as a monk "fix". There's so much that needs to get added and switched around. I could write up a martial artist class that knocks people around and call it a monk if you're OK with that, or we can wait for another post to come around.
    I'm ok with that :) The more it ressembles the monk, the better, but I'm interested in the concept one way or the other.
    bock!

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Post Re: Request a Homebrew: Thread 2!

C991

I like the stand-in name. :)

Everything you said sounds pretty good. (Except maybe the bit about going to fifteen, but that's just because I want to stick this on a pixie, so it doesn't matter much.)

I've got a few ideas, of course. Take them or ignore them as you see fit.
    Perhaps for prerequisites, maybe use either
    Eldritch Blast 2d6 and ability to bind soulmelds to a chakra or
    Meldshaper level three, arcane caster level 2, and eldritch blast 1d6
    One goes for incarnum 3/warlock 2, one for the reverse.

Other ideas (no time for being wordy with them, though):
    Find a way to invest essentia in Eldritch blast and/or invocations
    New invocations, that use essentia for power boosts

Can't type more right now, sorry.
    Jon Snow and Ghost avatar (not currently in use) by Gurgleflep 15370262 328.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

C 991
    Before I go anywhere, I just want you to know that this is, at its core, a class written for you. So if you were thinking of plunking it on a pixie, or if you wanted a specific Inc3/Wlk2 build, then you could just tell me and I'll write it for you.

Lastly, do you want me to write a class that makes invocations super powerful by fueling essentia into them, or did you want your soulmelds and chakras remain on-par?

5. - Top - End - #1055

Beholder

C991
    The ten-level thing doesn't actually matter too much, if only because I don't expect the character I need this fot to get to such a high level anyway. (and a five-level theurge-type class would be weird, and useless if I did get to higher levels).

I think what I'm looking for is a class that uses Incarnum to support Invocations/Eldritch Blast. I still prefer invocations a little, so I think I'd like them to remain on par with each other.

Another idea: use essentia to boost invocation DCs. I am serious when I say only to use my suggestions if they go well with what else you make, because they are just random ideas that popped into my head, not specific things I want from this.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Orc in the Playground

Slight use of copypasta, might be undercooked.
    H 989: Nature's Friend
    Thank you for this, now I will just need to see how about getting this added to the campaign I want to use it, at least for playtesting.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

H 992
    Dragon Fist Monk (Monk Variant)

"My gaze is heavy rain, my fists are a flood." ~ Ying Long, Dragon Fist Monk

Gain
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    The dragon fist monk is proficient with his unarmed strike.

Dragon Fist (Ex)
    At level 1, the dragon fist monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

If the monk has no daily uses of Stunning Fist remaining, he may meditate as a full-round action to regain 1 daily use of Stunning Fist.

A level 11 dragon fist monk may use the effect of his Stunning Fist feat at-will. If they have any feats that grant extra uses of Stunning Fist (such as Extra Stunning from Complete Warrior), they may retrain those feats the next time they gain a feat.

Dance of the Dragon (Ex)
    At level 2, when the dragon fist monk moves at least 10 feet or takes the full defense action, all attacks against him suffer a 20% miss chance for 1 round.

At level 6, the dragon fist monk can use an immediate action to take a 5 ft step. This does not affect and is not affected by any other 5 ft step the dragon fist monk makes. If the dragon fist monk takes this 5 ft step while targeted by an attack or forced to make a save, he gains a +4 dodge bonus to his AC or saving through but does not ignore the attack/effect even if he is no longer a legal target.

Dragon's Presence (Ex)
    At level 3, as a swift action, the dragon fist monk can impose a -2 circumstance penalty to all attack rolls and save DCs originating from a creature within his reach + 5 ft or he can treat the area within 5 ft per monk level as difficult terrain for all enemies. Both of these effects last 1 round.

Unrelenting Force (Ex)
    At level 4, as a standard action, the dragon fist monk can make a single unarmed attack against a creature. On a successful hit, the dragon fist monk deals damage as normal and the target must make a successful reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Wisdom modifier) or be pushed 20 feet back as though the dragon fist monk had bull rushed them 20 feet. This movement provokes attacks of opportunity. If the target fails their save by 5 or more, they are knocked prone in addition to the movement. Targets larger than the monk or those with Stability move only half the distance.

The dragon fist monk can target multiple creatures with this ability. He makes one attack and one damage roll for all targets, but suffers penalties based on the number of targets selected. For each creature targeted beyond the first, the dragon fist monk suffers a -1 penalty to his attack roll, damage roll, and save DC.

Every 2 levels after 4th (6, 8, 10, etc) the distance creatures are pushed as a result of Unrelenting Force is increased by 10 feet. At level 20, targets that fail their save at all are knocked prone and targets that fail their save by 5 or more die.

Lose
    Bonus Feats, Flurry of Blows, Still Mind, Slow Fall, Greater Flurry

Spoiler: Notes and Analysis
    Show
    The monk was ranked T5 despite never performing as well as a fighter, so these features are designed to be stronger than their replaced counterparts so the monk is more on par with a good fighter/barb. The optimization floor is now higher, but the ceiling remains unimpressive. A lot of that is because the standard ACFs are no longer an option.

The monk gets extra tank abilities because he is now expected to run into the back line and smack things. I tried not to push the monk up a tier in case you wanted it to remain at the same power level.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2014-01-10 at 12:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

Soulspammer
    "The binders keep cracking Monty Python jokes. We'll make them pay." ~ Gilliam, Soulspammer

Prerequisites:
    • Ability to cast arcane spells
    • Eldritch Blast 2d6
    • Ability to bind soulmelds

Hit Die: d6
    BAB: 3/4
    Good Saves: Fort and Will
    Skills: 2 + Int modifier
    Use the warlock skill list, plus Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Spot, and Survival

{table]Level|Special|Spellcasting/Meldshaping
    1st|Eldritch Soul, Chakra Bind (Crown, Feet, Hands)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    2nd|Drain Incarnum, Deceive Item, , eldritch blast +1d6|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    3rd|New Invocation (Least or Lesser)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    4th|Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    5th|Steal Incarnum, eldritch blast +2d6|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    6th|Chakra Bind (Arms, Brow, Shoulders)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    7th|Eldritch Soul (+1 capacity)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    8th|Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    9th|New Invocation (least, lesser, greater)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    10th|Incarnum Blast, eldritch blast +3d6|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    11th|Eldritch Soul (double investment)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    12th|Chakra Bind (Waist or Throat), Bonus Feat|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    13th|New Invocation (least, lesser, greater, or dark)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    14th|Incarnum Shroud, eldritch blast +4d6|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    15th|Chakra Bind (Heart or Soul)|+1 level of existing meldshaping class and +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
    [/table]

Meldshaping: At each level, the soulspammer gains essentia, soulmelds, and chakra binds as though he had advanced a level in a meldshaping class to which he belonged before. He does not gain any other benefits of that class, such as class features or skill points.

Spellcasting: At each level, the soulspammer gains new spells known and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which he belonged before. He does not gain any other benefits of that class, such as class features or skill points.

A warlock taking this class instead advances his invocations known and eldritch blast damage, but does not have increased access to higher invocation grades (Complete Arcane p.18).

Eldritch Soul (Sp): The soulspammer can focus essentia into his invocations and eldritch blast. Investing essentia into these abilities requires a swift action, and essentia remains invested until it is invested in something else.

For every point of essentia invested in eldritch blast, the ability gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls, +1d6 damage, and a +2 bonus on caster level checks to defeat spell resistance. (In case you use errata, the minimum level of the soulspammer's eldritch blast is increased by the amount of essentia he has invested in it.)

Essentia is invested in each invocation separately. For each point of essentia invested in an invocation, the DC increases by 1 and the soulspammer gains +2 bonus on caster level checks to defeat spell resistance. Any invocation with at least 1 essentia invested in it has a minimum DC bonus from invocation level equal to half the soulspammer's character level.

At level 7, the maximum essentia capacity of the soulspammer's eldritch blast and invocations is increased by 1.

At level 11, when the soulspammer invests essentia into his eldritch blast and invocations, he gains an equal number of points of temporary essentia that he can invest into soulmelds which are not bound to chakras. When he removes essentia from his eldritch blast and invocations, an equal amount of this temporary essentia is lost. If a soulmeld has this temporary essentia invested in it and becomes bound to a soulmeld, the temporary essentia must be reinvested immediately or disappear.

Chakra Bind: At levels 2, 6, 12, and 15 the soulspammer learns to bind soulmelds to new chakras. He may choose a single chakra from the following list upon attaining each level, and thereafter can bind applicable soulmelds to that chakra as per the Chakra Binds class feature of his meldshaping class: Crown, Feet, Hands.

At level 6 and thereafter, the soulspammer can also choose Arms, Brow, and Shoulders chakras for his chakra bind.

At level 12, the soulspammer can also choose throat and waist chakras for his chakra bind.

At level 15, the soulspammer can also choose heart or soul chakras for his chakra bind.

Bonus Invocations: The soulspammer is well-versed in the theurgy of essentia and invocations, and receives essentia-related bonus invocations as follows: At level 2 he gains drain incarnum, at level 5 he gains steal incarnum, at level 10 he gains incarnum blast, and at level 14 he gains incarnum shroud. These do not count towards his normal limit of invocations known.

Deceive Item (Ex): As per the warlock class feature.

New Invocations (Sp): The soulspammer gains access to new types of invocations, as noted on the table above.

Bonus Feat: At levels 4, 8, and 12, the soulspammer gains a bonus feat. This must be a feat that affects his invocations, eldritch blast, essentia pool, soulmelds, chakras, essentia, or an [Incarnum] or [Item Creation] feat.

Spoiler: Notes and Analysis
    Show
    This was designed for war3/meld2/PrC15 builds. It probably still has too big of a dip around ECL 6-8, but I think it picks up later. Should hang around T3-4, and as usual has a low floor and high ceiling.

The bonus feats are there for totemists and a small power boost, the bonus binds are so you can dive for relevant bonuses (this is a theurge after all, happy min-maxing). The bonus invocations are because incarnum invocations are terrible and I wanted to fill dead levels.

The goal of this class is to PrC so you can power-up your meldshaping for utility and defense, while still being able to invest in a strong offense. I believe invocations are in a good spot here, but EB probably needs another damage boost. I'm considering greater per-essentia scaling at high levels, but that could mean bigger damage jumps than the Hellfire Warlock, and that's... weird.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2014-01-13 at 04:02 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1059

Beholder

C 991

Thanks for the class!
    It's great, but there are a few issues and questions/suggestions I have.

Though the spellcasting bit is a bit oddly placed. May I hazard a guess that those were already in the table and you forgot to take them out? A Warlock/Incarnate doesn't get any casting, so that would be an issue.

If you give "+1 level of existing invocation-using class" (as Eldritch Theurge), it would effectively act the same way. This would also bump new invocation grades up to PrC levels 3, 8, and 13 (the +1 level of spellcasting class already does that, actually).

If you also state that it does not advance Eldritch Blast, the ability to invest essentia in Eldritch Blast could compensate. Of course, that would max Eldritch Blast damage out at 7d6 with 5 points invested, so maybe not, unless a few levels also increased blast damage.

Also, the way you worded the extra available chakra binds is a bit confusing. Do you unlock just one of the chakras, and never unlock the rest from each list, or do you gain the ability to bind a soulmeld to one each day?
    Also, I think the lesser chakras should probably be moved up a level or a few, because the Incarnate gets them at level 9, so 6 seems a bit early...
    How to play a monster.

I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ogre in the Playground

C 991

Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    Though the spellcasting bit is a bit oddly placed. May I hazard a guess that those were already in the table and you forgot to take them out? A Warlock/Incarnate doesn't get any casting, so that would be an issue.

If you give "+1 level of existing invocation-using class" (as Eldritch Theurge), it would effectively act the same way. This would also bump new invocation grades up to PrC levels 3, 8, and 13 (the +1 level of spellcasting class already does that, actually).
    Actually, I was trying to make it easy for warlock advancement. Complete Arcane notes that PrC's which advance arcane casting (or just regular casting) grant extra invocations and extra eldritch blast.[/quote]Actually, I was trying to make it easy for warlock advancement. Complete Arcane notes that PrC's which advance arcane casting (or just regular casting) grant extra invocations and extra eldritch blast damage, but "+1 level of existing invocation-using class" seems to only advance invocations known. Since I wanted the damage to scale, I used arcane casting.

Also, AFAIK, neither of those actually give you access to stronger invocations by RAW, so that's why I included them in the table. I could be wrong about this.

If you also state that it does not advance Eldritch Blast, the ability to invest essentia in Eldritch Blast could compensate. Of course, that would max Eldritch Blast damage out at 7d6 with 5 points invested, so maybe not, unless a few levels also increased blast damage.
    With the casting progression advancing EB damage, my goal was to have him at 14d6 max (9d6 from warlock, 5d6 from essentia). That's still pretty damn low, so perhaps I should add additional damage increases.

Also, the way you worded the extra available chakra binds is a bit confusing. Do you unlock just one of the chakras, and never unlock the rest from each list, or do you gain the ability to bind a soulmeld to one each day?
    I can see that it's confusing. The goal was to let the soulspammer pick one chakra at that level, and then have access to it (and only it) for the rest of his career. So you could get arms, then brow, then shoulders, then heart, but you'd miss out on everything else.

I need a way to write that better. I'll work on it.

Also, I think the lesser chakras should probably be moved up a level or a few, because the Incarnate gets them at level 9, so 6 seems a bit early...
    Ach, good point. I'll move the lesser chakras up, and bump waist/throat further.

EDIT: EB damage added. Should be 9d6 + 4d6 + 5d6 = 18d6 by level 20, which is still weak but... wargl. Stupid wotc.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2014-01-13 at 04:03 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Orc in the Playground

R993

Requesting an LA +0 or LA+1 Gelatinous Cube race for 3.5. A simple "Gelatinous Cubes as Characters" stat block would work just find. It should keep as true to the original Gelatinous Cube as closely as possible. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Well, I'm firmly convinced that gelatinous cubes simply hold static in one point and force the world to move around them to their mobility desires.
    Awesome G.Cube avatar by Savannah!

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes I may make, it is quite difficult to type with a pseudopod.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

C 993

It would be kind of hard to stay true to oozes. The 1 Dex/Cha/Wis and Int - pretty much have to go. It would also need intelligence. Immunity to electricity, sneak attack, and the huge paralysis are all really strong as well.

I could make an LA +1 intelligent ooze creature that starts off medium with acid and an engulf-like ability, then you could take feats or advance in a class to upgrade yourself.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground

C993: Lix Lorn did two ooze-based player races, the second actually being a set of such. They're not cubes, but they do deal with the main problem of most stricter-fit playable oozes - they can shape themselves well enough to not be automatically mistaken for the monstrous sort and killed on sight.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2014-01-13 at 09:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Titan in the Playground

C 991
    <SNIP>
    With the casting progression advancing EB damage, my goal was to have him at 14d6 max (9d6 from warlock, 5d6 from essentia). That's still pretty damn low, so perhaps I should add additional damage increases.
    <SNIP>

EDIT: EB damage added. Should be 9d6 + 4d6 + 5d6 = 18d6 by level 20, which is still weak but... wargl. Stupid wotc.
    Consider d8's for your class-granted die? It works for the Hellfire Warlock (or whatever that is called), it could work for this... unless you were just trying to make it not too powerful compared to the Hellfire Warlock, in which case I don't see why WotC's mistake should be something you would perpetuate.
    C 993

It would be kind of hard to stay true to oozes. The 1 Dex/Cha/Wis and Int - pretty much have to go. It would also need intelligence. Immunity to electricity, sneak attack, and the huge paralysis are all really strong as well.

I could make an LA +1 intelligent ooze creature that starts off medium with acid and an engulf-like ability, then you could take feats or advance in a class to upgrade yourself.
    Dex 1 seems playable to me. A stretch, but doable. It does give a somewhat obvious dump-stat since it is going to end up at 1 until you put at least a 12 into it by the standard rules, but that is a minor issue. You can always say they get 1/6th fewer points in Point-buy, and don't assign a score there, and that in other methods they have to put their second-worst or better score there IF you think it is an issue, but with most methods it shouldn't be.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2014-01-13 at 10:25 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Consider d8's for your class-granted die? It works for the Hellfire Warlock (or whatever that is called), it could work for this... unless you were just trying to make it not too powerful compared to the Hellfire Warlock, in which case I don't see why WotC's mistake should be something you would perpetuate.
    I was trying to make it less than the Hellfire Warlock because I didn't want to offend potential reader's sensibilities. It tends to make for fewer viewers. I also was trying a level-appropriate progression, and in the last stretch it's straight up adding 2d6/lvl. That seems... offensive? I'm not sure how to say this, do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Dex 1 seems playable to me. A stretch, but doable. It does give a somewhat obvious dump-stat since it is going to end up at 1 until you put at least a 12 into it by the standard rules, but that is a minor issue. You can always say they get 1/6th fewer points in Point-buy, and don't assign a score there, and that in other methods they have to put their second-worst or better score there IF you think it is an issue, but with most methods it shouldn't be.
    I was honestly thinking a -4 or -6 Dex penalty, because I don't want to penalize ooze ninjas.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Orc in the Playground

C 993

Kind of like the Warforged feat line? That might work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Well, I'm firmly convinced that gelatinous cubes simply hold static in one point and force the world to move around them to their mobility desires.
    Awesome G.Cube avatar by Savannah!

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes I may make, it is quite difficult to type with a pseudopod.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Dwarf in the Playground

R992

Thank you JtB! That's what I was looking for. I think giving your monk a full BaB and Flurry of Blows wouldn't raise it to Tier 3, would it?
    bock!

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Chicken View Post
    R992

Thank you JtB! That's what I was looking for. I think giving your monk a full BaB and Flurry of Blows wouldn't raise it to Tier 3, would it?
    It certainly wouldn't, but it would make the class much happier.

19. - Top - End - #1069

R994.

Requesting the first 1-3 levels of a new class. The class will use a combination of maneuvers and psionic powers, focusing on mobile combat. I see them being themed as the 'eye of the storm' of a tempest of steel and fury of psionic power.

Personally I see them favouring two-weapon combat, but options for single-handed, sword-and-board and THF would allow for more variety.

I'm hoping to use this as either a baseline or inspirations for a fully fleshed out class. So if you feel like it, suggestions for further/alternative class features will be welcomed, but are not necessary.
    Last edited by Tempestfury; 2014-01-14 at 09:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

H 993a: Awakened Gelatinous Cube
    Alignment: Chaotic Goo

Awakened Gelatinous Cubes gain the following adjustments:
    • +6 Constitution, -6 Dexterity: The gooey flesh that forms gelatinous cubes makes them tough, but being a cube bears big disadvantages for motor skills. The personalities of gelatinous cubes are magically conjured, so they suffer no ill or beneficial effects in that department.
    • Ooze (Awakened): The gelatinous cube is not immune to poison or polymorph and is not mindless. It otherwise has all other ooze traits (immunity to sleep, paralysis, stunning, critical hits, sneak attack, flanking, and gaze attacks. Also 60 ft. blindsight). As an ooze, it is incapable of wearing any armor or wielding weapons, as they are absorbed into the ooze's body.
    • Medium: As medium creatures, gelatinous cubes gain no bonuses or penalties related to size.
    • Gelatinous cube base land speed is 15 feet: Despite their medium size, the strange body of gelatinous cubes makes their normal movement rate very low. However, their speed is not reduced when carrying loads greater than light.
    • Acid (Ex): The gelatinous cube is partially composed of (and excretes) an acid which does not harm metal or stone. To all other things, the acid deals 1 damage per round of contact and 1 damage per attack. Try not to walk on wood floors.
    • Engulf (Ex): Although it moves slowly, a gelatinous cube can simply mow down creature of its size or smaller as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack against a creature it has engulfed. The gelatinous cube merely has to move over the target(s), affecting as many as it can cover. Targets can make an attack of opportunity against the cube or roll a saving throw to avoid being engulfed. The DC for the saving throw is 11 + 1/2 HD + Strength modifier. Engulfed creatures are considered to be grappled (but the cube is not grappled) and trapped within its body, and take acid damage every round. Engulfed creatures are also silenced and unable to hear (effectively deafened).

The gelatinous cube can have 2 medium creatures engulfed simultaneously, or their equivalent in smaller creatures (1 medium creature counts as 2 small creature, 1 small creature counts as 2 tiny creatures, etc.). The gelatinous cube can eject any number of engulfed creatures as a standard action.

The gelatinous cube can sometimes engulf creatures without requiring a standard action. If the gelatinous cube has forced movement (such as from falling, or a bull rush) and they end this movement on a creature, they make an immediate engulf attempt. If an enemy does not notice the gelatinous cube and walks into it, the cube automatically engulf them (no save or attack of opportunity).
    • Transparency (Ex): Gelatinous cubes take a natural hue between light green and blue, but as an immediate action they can become translucent. Creatures that have not already identified the cube must make a DC 11 + HD spot check to notice it.
    • Pseudopod Slam: The gelatinous cube gets a basic slam attack dealing 1d4 + 1.5*Strength for a medium-sized creature. This slam attack can also be used to make multiple attacks per round (as if it were a wielded weapon).
    • Carrying Items: Awakened oozes have special rules for carrying and using items. They may engulf unattended items (similar to how they would engulf a creature) as a move action. Items they wish not to damage can be engulfed in small bubbles, which float in the body. Non-armor magic items provide their benefit while absorbed in this state.

An ooze reduced below 0 HP breaks their bubbles and the items begin taking acid damage each round.
    • Level Adjustment: +1

H 993b: Racial Feats
    The following feats are only allowed for gelatinous cubes.

Corrupting Acid
    Prerequisites: Powerful Acid
    Benefit:Your acid now can affect stone and metal, but only if you choose for it to (a free action).

At 10 HD, enemies must make a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Constitution modifier) when they would take slime damage (even if energy resistance or immunities prevent the damage) or become nauseated for 1 round.

Death Slime
    Prerequisites: Doom Slime, 15 HD
    Benefit: Enemies that fail their save against your paralyzing slime die. This is a poison effect. In addition, your paralyzing slime is no longer a poison effect.

Doom Slime
    Prerequisites: Paralyzing Slime, 6 HD
    Benefit: Enemies that are stunned by your paralyzing slime now can be affected afterwards, but you can still only force one save per round. Enemies immune to paralysis or poison are instead staggered for one round.

Elder Ooze
    Prerequisite: 12 HD
    Benefit: Your level adjustment from the gelatinous cube race is now LA +0. Additionally, you gain immunity to polymorph and poison effects.

Scooter
    Benefit: Your land speed is increased to 30 ft, and your receive a +2 bonus to initiative and armor class. The bonus to armor class is lost whenever you would be denied your dexterity to AC.

Gargantuan Cube
    Prerequisites: Huge Cube, 15 HD
    Benefit: Your size increases from huge to gargantuan. Your attribute adjustments are Str +8, Con +4.
    Special: These bonuses stack with Large Cube and Huge Cube.

Huge Cube
    Prerequisites: Large Cube, 10 HD
    Benefit: Your size increases from large to huge. Your attribute adjustments are Str +4, Con +2.
    Special: These bonuses stack with Large Cube.

Large Cube
    Prerequisites: 5 HD
    Benefit: Your size increases from medium to large. Your attribute adjustments are Str +2, Dex -2. You gain 1 HP per H

Paralyzing Slime
    Prerequisites: 3 HD
    Benefit: Whenever you would deal damage with your Acid ability, you also force the target to make a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Constitution modifier) or become stunned for 1 round. Once an enemy is stunned by this ability, they cannot be stunned for 24 hours, and you can only force an enemy to save once each round. This is a poison effect.

Powerful Acid
    Prerequisite: Acid racial trait
    Benefit: The damage from your acid ability changes to match your hit dice:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]HD|Attack Damage|Engulf and Contact Damage
    1|1|2
    2|2|3
    3|2|4
    4|1d6|6
    5|1d6|8
    6|2d6|10
    7|2d6|15
    8|3d6|20
    9|3d6|25
    10|4d6|30
    11|4d6|35
    12|5d6|40
    13|5d6|45
    14|6d6|50
    15|6d6|55
    16|7d6|60
    17|7d6|70
    18|8d6|80
    19|9d6|90
    20|10d6|100
    [/table]

Additionally, you can control when you secrete acid, allowing you to retain items in your body without harming them or using bubbles.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2014-01-15 at 01:05 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ogre in the Playground

H 994
    My first instinct is to give them a unique power list of buffs (similar in concept to the PHB paladin), and then grant them Desert Wind, Diamond Mind, and Shadow Hand. Class features would be feat support for your combat interests, utility effects so he doesn't have to use his limited powers, and the ability to juggle his buff powers and boosts. Does that sound good?

Do you want the standard psionic "select powers from a list" or would you like some other method of learning powers?

Are you interested in or OK with using homebrew disciplines? I would kind of like to switch out Desert Wind.

How obvious should I make the tempestfury jokes? Like, can I call it "Fury of the Tempest"?

22. - Top - End - #1072

C994

Hmmmm... that does sound rather good, buffs works well with a meele class, so the ability to juggle them around will probably be very useful.

As for the psionics... I'm leaning towards the standard myself, but I'm curious as to what other ideas might be possible, so go ahead and do what you want.

Homebrew disciplines... maybe as 'alternative class features' of sorts, kinda a bit leery to involve them and a new class. A class is one thing, but a class & new list of maneuvers? That's another.

There is one thing I've thought up off during my waiting time, is that the class has something similar to the combat-style of rangers... and I'm wondering if something like that could apply to disciplines?

Like, the TWF gets additional access to the Tiger Claw disciplines, the THF gets access to um... Stone Dragon would fit well. Sword and Board gets Devoted Spirit and Single sword gets Iron Heart.

Of course, that's just a suggestion/idea of mine, you don't have to do it at all.
    Last edited by Tempestfury; 2014-01-15 at 01:37 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1073

HalfOrcPirate

R995
    Seeing as giants are relatively popular this may exist somewhere, possibly even on this site, but my searching capabilities are rather lacking... I would like to request two half-giant templates and/or races (whichever would be easier): frost and fire. I don't expect the LA/RHD to be very low but I would like it to be as close to the lower end of the spectrum as possible.

Also Just to Browse, you've done a lot of homebrewing lately I'm beginning to wonder if you're a robot or some similar construct
    Last edited by gurgleflep; 2014-01-17 at 01:40 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1074

Quote Originally Posted by gurgleflep View Post
    Also Just to Browse, you've done a lot of homebrewing lately I'm beginning to wonder if you're a robot or some similar construct
    He's a Creationforged! Like the Warforged, only built to create instead of wage war!

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ogre in the Playground

R996: This is probably an easy one. I need name, attitude, and simple stat block for an NPC, of a character who's mom is Dwarf| Half-Elf and who's Dad is Halfling | Half-Orc, who is in essence the gate keeper of the records of ship schedules for a local island that has 5 different ports in various locations, and has been for nearly 60 years.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

C994
    On Psionics: If you want standard, that's OK. Just to check with you, I'm planning on doing the following. Do any of them make you uncomfortable?:
    • He knows all powers on his list, no need to choose.
    • His powers scale from levels 1 - 4, starting at class level 3.
    • He can meditate to gain psionic focus, and spend that focus to cast a spell without using power points (this is the biggest change)

On Disciplines: I'll keep the discipline list to Tome of Battle, but I'll have some suggested homebrew disciplines you can switch around if you'd like.

My thought for disciplines tying to combat styles would be to make the class a natural TWFer with Tiger Claw, and use ACFs to switch out the TWF feats and Tiger Claw for other related disciplines. Sound good?

Class Basics
    Full BAB
    Good reflex/will
    4 + Int skills

{table]Level|Class Features|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Ready|Stances Known|Max Power Level|Power Points
    1|Bonus Feat: TWF, Tiger Claw|2|2|1|-|-
    2|Double Strike|3|2|1|-|0
    3|Free Powers|3|2|1|1|2
    [/table]

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ogre in the Playground

C 995
    WotC has some weird half-giants already, so before I write anything totally off, I have some questions:
    • Do you a psionic half-giant, like the one in the SRD?
    • Frost/Fire giants are characterized by high strength, being big, and energy resistance / weakness. Are you OK with something simple like that, or did you want them to have some interesting racial characteristic?
    • I can do LA +0, but it will be less giant-y and more half-y. Would you prefer LA +1 or LA +0?

Quote Originally Posted by gurglflep
    I consider myself knowledgeable of theorycraft, but I have very little creativity or imagination. So I'm actually quite a bit like a robot.

28. - Top - End - #1078

HalfOrcPirate

C 995
    WotC has some weird half-giants already, so before I write anything totally off, I have some questions:
    • Do you a psionic half-giant, like the one in the SRD?
    • Frost/Fire giants are characterized by high strength, being big, and energy resistance / weakness. Are you OK with something simple like that, or did you want them to have some interesting racial characteristic?
    • I can do LA +0, but it will be less giant-y and more half-y. Would you prefer LA +1 or LA +0?

I consider myself knowledgeable of theorycraft, but I have very little creativity or imagination. So I'm actually quite a bit like a robot.
    C995
    To answer the questions (and hopefully I'm understanding these, I'm a wee bit tired):
    • I'd prefer them to be non-psionic.
    • I'm alright with simplicity
    • LA +1 is the more giant-y version, correct? If that's right, I'd be happy with a +1.

A-ha, so you admit to being like a robot!

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

C 996
    It's not normally my cup of tea, but I can do NPCs. Questions:
    • CR or CR range for this NPC?
    • What books are OK? I'm thinking of making him a wizard.
    • What are you OK looking up / what do you have memorized really well?
    • What level of optimization is this party?
    • Since I have no idea what aging is like for a quarterling, did you have an age and description in mind?

30. - Top - End - #1080

C994
    On Psionics: If you want standard, that's OK. Just to check with you, I'm planning on doing the following. Do any of them make you uncomfortable?:
    • He knows all powers on his list, no need to choose.
    • His powers scale from levels 1 - 4, starting at class level 3.
    • He can meditate to gain psionic focus, and spend that focus to cast a spell without using power points (this is the biggest change)

On Disciplines: I'll keep the discipline list to Tome of Battle, but I'll have some suggested homebrew disciplines you can switch around if you'd like.

My thought for disciplines tying to combat styles would be to make the class a natural TWFer with Tiger Claw, and use ACFs to switch out the TWF feats and Tiger Claw for other related disciplines. Sound good?

Class Basics
    Full BAB
    Good reflex/will
    4 + Int skills

{table]Level|Class Features|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Ready|Stances Known|Max Power Level|Power Points
    1|Bonus Feat: TWF, Tiger Claw|2|2|1|-|-
    2|Double Strike|3|2|1|-|0
    3|Free Powers|3|2|1|1|2
    [/table]
    C994. Yes, that works, that works absolutely fine. best to focus on one fighting style to begin with, then other up the alternate fighting styles afterwards...

The powers scaling from 1-4 works as well, as its similar to what the Ranger's and Paladin's do... What's Double Strike though?

And what would you suggest his attribute for his power points should be? Wisdom, like the Psychic Warrior?

Skills and proficiencies, I think I'll be able to work out myself.
    Last edited by Tempestfury; 2014-01-17 at 08:17 AM.