New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in Sigil - IC - Part II [4E]

Eltain volunteers to distract the guards while the others sneak in, and does so unless they object, in which case he simply waits to be told what to do and does it.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Eltain moves forward, into view, it takes the guards a couple of moments to see him, his pale clothing and features blending in with the surrounding snow. However, once they do they immediately begin moving forward, swords drawn. As they draw near, the shorter guard calls out ""Hey, you! What are you doing here, this is a restricted-" when the other guard holds out a hand to stop his comrade. You see him whisper into the ear of the short guard, and nod towards the Sharma family insignia on Eltain's cloak. He steps forward, and speaks in a much more formal voice. "Excuse me, sir, but this area is off limits. Is there a problem?"

OOC: Eltain will need to make a diplomacy or bluff check, as appropriate; while Lucan & Pavick make a stealth check. The better Eltain does, the more of a bonus Lucan/Pavick will receive.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain looks put upon and hurt, asks what could possibly make the middle of nowhere be off-limits, and notes that he's simply taking a walk, can't they just leave him be?

(1d20+20)[37] - diplomacy
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

OOC: Nope, sorry, with a 37 Diplomacy check, I think I need to hear the story that you're going to spin to these guys.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick nods. "Yes, 3 and 4. I can see it. Okay. Option 7 it is then!" He waits a few moments while Eltain heads off, then starts moving around to try to sneak in behind the guards.

Stealth - (1d20+15)[26]

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan follows the lucky gnome, only to slip on an apple made of ice.

Stealth - (1d20+13)[14]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2011-12-16 at 07:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil actually does take the time to indulge some of the ladies with their requests. One can only spend so much time planning asymmetrical warfare before wanting some rest from it, and if he is able to build his reputation while he's at it, so much the better.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain draws himself up imperiously and gives the pair an expression that clearly states that he is shocked - shocked- by this impolite treatment.

"Well, yes, I suppose there is a problem. Here I am, merely enjoying a relaxing walk in the countryside, and here in the middle of nowhere are two men I've never seen before who draw steel on me like bandits. That rather is a problem. For that matter, how can I be certain you aren't bandits, merely scared off by noting my family crest on my cloak and afraid of Certhiel's wrath?" He looks the pair over disdainfully. "Certainly I haven't heard anything about this place being off-limits. Why would it be anyway? This is the middle of nowhere. There's nothing here, other than some cave systems that were rather entertaining when I was eight years old, but certainly not of more than passing interest. I can show them to you if you like, I was pondering reliving some childhood memories, but I'm sure you've seen caves before. Come now, gentlemen. This is clearly ridiculous. I am simply enjoying a day taking in the glorious beauty of the winter lands. Can't you just let me be, and I'll pretend you didn't draw steel and try to murder me and refrain from mentioning that shocking little oversight to my mother." He smiles winningly, his words tempered with just the right amount of both friendly sweetness and frozen, angry haughtiness. This is too easy.

And then, of course, it all goes wrong, and Lucan manages to find an apple in the middle of nowhere to trip over. Eltain draws his sword and looks about.

"Come now, what is this? More of you lurking about? I know, you've formed some sort of secret society, haven't you?" He takes on a look of horror and then narrows his eyes suspiciously. "I know what this is. You're plotting against the winter court! You're trying to distract me so that your foul compatriots can kill me! Foul brigands! You won't get away with this!"

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The two guards stare at Eltain as he scolds them, and quickly begin stammering an apology. They fail to notice as Pavick moves around behind them, but Lucan's slip on the bizarrely strange and out of place apple draws attention that even Eltain's brilliant speech fails to distract from.

The two guards run over, weapons drawn, and immediately demand Lucan explain himself.

OOC: does Pavick want to stay out and try to help Lucan, or is he going to duck inside?

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick bit his lip as Lucan is caught. This is definitely not how things are supposed to go. He had faith that Lucan and Eltain would be able to talk their way out of this though, so he took one last glance over his shoulder, hoping things would go okay, and ducks into the caves to begin to explore quietly.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

"Lucan! Corellon's sake, man, I told you not to follow me, I wanted to be alone! I'm perfectly capable of handling myself, you know. Honestly. I'm glad you're here, though, these foul brigands draw steel at the slightest provocation and are clearly plotting against my mother and probably the Prince of Frost himself. We must bring justice to them. Don't you dare lay a hand on him, you fiends, he's my bodyguard and trusted friend, and I'll have your heads if you harm one hair on his head. I demand an explanation for this."

Spoiler
    Show

Probably called for:
    Bluff: (1d20+18)[22]
    Intimidate: (1d20+18)[21]

D'oh. A 4 and a 3. At least I have good modifiers so it's not as bad as it could be, but derp. Oh well, keep them distracted long enough for Pavick to slip in, perhaps. This is marvelously distracting.
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2011-12-17 at 10:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

Lucan gives a sheepish grin. "Sorry, Boss," he says. "I'm just trying to be a discreet body guard, keeping watch over you without you having to notice me. Guess it's harder to be discreet than I thought."

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff - (1d20+17)[34]

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

---------------Eltain & Lucan -----------------

The guards don't put away their blades, but they don't seem to be in a rush to stab you. The taller, more calm guard, finally speaks up. "I'm sorry sirs, but you'll have to leave at once." He pauses, as if that should be sufficient, but looking at Eltains cloak and the well-armed, if clumsy Lucan, and leans forward, his voice low. "There are dangerous magical energies loose in these caves, and we're under the orders of the ArchFey herself not to let anyone in, for any reason. She says that the magics are unstable, and even entering unprepared could cause a disaster. We're under orders to stop by force, anyone who would try and use these caves to harm the Winter Lands, whether by purpose, or by accident." He gives a friendly smile "Sorry to ruin your plans, but you understand how important it is that no one goes in there."

Even as he speaks, the pair if you are sensitive enough in magic to feel that there is some sort of odd energy radiating from the caves.

---------------- Pavick -------------------

Inside the caves, Pavick can see how they got their name. it seems that every wall of the caverns is riddled with holes and polished crevices, making each look like a section of Honeycomb. This odd shaping does marvelous things with the light, allowing to to shine through and reflect in a most peculiar way. Even as Pavick walks, the lights shimmer and reflect around him, ever changing.

Pavicks keen magical eye does catch sight of a bizarre arcane aura filling the place. Venturing further into the caves, he begins hearing a ringing sound, and it seems that some of the lighting changes color with every chime. Rounding a corner, Pavick sees the cavern open up into a large room nearly 100 feet tall and twice that wide. In the middle of the room, the source of the strange light, is a ribbon of magical energy almost 10 feet long. Surrounding it, are three huge anvils, each being worked by a Frost Giant, icy smithing hammer in hand. On the far side of the room, Pavick can see a set of weapons racks, filled to capacity with magical swords and spears. As the gnome looks, one if the giants stops his hammering, and sniffs the air, before looking around the cavern suspiciously.

OOC: I need a stealth check from Pavick, and an Arcana check if he wants to try and figure out anything about the magical ribbon.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"Huh," Lucan said. "And here I thought the most dangerous thing about those caves were the pixies." He looks at Eltain. "Well, if we can't explore the caves, maybe I can play that new song I've been working on for you. You have a good ear--maybe you can help me figure out what it's missing."

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

As soon as Pavick spots the Frost Giants, he freezes in place, hoping that whatever noises he has made have been covered by the noisy banging hammers. Standing motionless, he examines the ribbon, trying to figure out what might be going on here.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana - (1d20+24)[31]
    Stealth - (1d20+15)[30]

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain gives Lucan a curt nod.

"Well see that you do a better job. And I did specifically tell you not to follow me this time, but I suppose its turned out for the best, what with these two." He turns to them.

"Again, why should I believe you? I've heard nothing of this, you offer no proof of your allegiance. Certainly I can feel that there's magic afoot here, but how do I know you lot aren't causing it? How do I know you're not plotting against the winter court and merely using a cover story about working for some unnamed archfey - Clearly you mean me to assume Koliada, but how do I know it's not Tiandra? Baba Yaga? The Bramble Queen?" He sniffs. "And even if you're telling the truth, I happen to be quite skilled with magic. I'm certain I can figure it out and handle it. I think you should show me and prove you're not doing anything untoward, and maybe I can find a safe way in so the winter court can use it." He looks eager and rash and young, the picture of a young, arrogant noble who has full confidence in his probably overstated abilities.

He chuckles at Lucan. "Hardly the time for a song, but I suppose you can perform it for us while I see what I can figure out."

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

------------------- Pavick -------------------

Pavick quickly recalls that Frost Giants' vision is based on movement, and the gnome manages to stand so perfectly still, the Giant's gaze passes right over him. After a moment, the creature turns back to it's work, and soon Pavick hears the third anvil being worked again. Relaxing for a moment, the young wizard examines the ribbon of Arcane energy. It takes a minute, but thanks to Pavick's careful study of the planes, he soon recognizes it as an elemental rift. A small, controlled opening to the elemental chaos that allows access to the raw elemental energies without the risks and natural hazards of working in the Chaos itself. Here, it looks like the Frost Giants are harnessing the energy to fuel the creation of magical weapons and armor.

While there is some variety in the types of arms and armor being created, Pavick notes that they all seem sized for Eladrin. At the rate of creation, and given the amount of energy still untapped in the elemental ribbon, these three Giants alone could easily equip a small army.

--------------- Lucan & Eltain ------------

The shorter guard starts speaking again, clearly disliking this arrogant noble in front of him. "Our orders come from Aurilandur. We're not to allow access to anyone without her express permission." He eyes Eltain up and down. "No exception." Both guards are watching the pair of you very closely, and don't seem to have any clue that Pavick entered in behind them.

OOC: I'm assuming Lucan is going to be playing to continue distracting them? Give me a bluff check.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2011-12-18 at 01:19 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf Bard

Lucan takes out his flute and starts playing for Eltain and the others. It's a very soothing tune.

Spoiler
    Show

[roll=Bluff]1d20+17[/bluff] See OOC thread.

Play Lullabye
    Arcana - (1d20+13)[17]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2011-12-19 at 11:26 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan's fingers are stiff with cold, and he starts out slowly, stuttering a bit, but he soon finds the right rhythm.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain's face falls and he sighs unhappily, then gives the shorter guard an apologetic smile.

"Well, I suppose I'll just have to accept that, then. If your orders come from her, it's definitely best to comply with them. Such a pity, it would have been great fun. I apologize for my harshness, but you can never be too careful these days, and it's always a bit distressing when you're simply taking a walk and someone draws a sword on you when you weren't expecting it." He looks worried. "I do hope that the pixies who live here are all right. Were they able to evacuate them safely? I'd hate for something bad to have happened to them..."

He listens to Lucan's song appreciatively, resisting the urge to sing along, and tries to puzzle out some of the magic emanating from the caves in case it's needed to back up Pavick's story about the interior later.

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana: (1d20+23)[28]

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick watches as the giant goes back to work. This was a distressing, though not completely surprising turn of events. He needed proof though, so he decided to press his luck just one step farther. Once he was certain the Frost Giant was busily working again, Pavick carefully reached out with a mage hand, pulling one of the smaller weapons from the stockpile and bringing it over to himself. He ducked back around the corner, and secured the dagger (or whatever was the smallest easily available weapon) in his bag of holding and began to try to sneak out again.

Spoiler
    Show

I assume this will require another Stealth check - (1d20+15)[31]

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Lucan starts to play, the soft tune of the flute seems to float on the wind with ease. You see the guard's eyelids start to droop a bit, and they both appear very relaxed. As Eltain begins speaking, they seem to understand that you aren't going to try anything, and put away their swords. "Wha-? The Pixies? Oh....yeah...they all go out ok..." he says, drowsily.

Even as the guards are put at ease, from the cave entrance behind them, you see the small figure of a gnome quickly slip out, and move behind a snow-drift, safely out of sight. As Eltain stares for magical auras, he sees part of the strange aura appears to be attached to a small dagger on Pavick's belt that he didn't remember seeing before.

OOC: Very well played. Anything else you guys want to do here?

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

--------------- Eltain, Lucan, and Pavick ------------------

The next week at the Winter Courts go by fairly smoothly. Certhiel's anger eventually subsides, and she accepts Eltain's apology with a dismissive "Think nothing of it."

Eltain's continued interactions with Toveliss go fairly well. The Eladrin seems very reluctant to see any of the Winter Court's actions as hostile or not in the best interests with the Fey, but over time Eltain chips away at most of the feeble excuses that Toveliss offers, much of this echoed by Limara. More and more the young Winter Lord spends time deep in thought, and he seems to be going out of his way to avoid Kolida even more than usual.

The training with Ephram goes well, and while the older swordmage readily agrees with the problems that Eltain points out, he can't seem to move past his ancient Eladrin view of time, and still seems to think that it's just a phase that will correct itself. "I'm sorry," he finally says, after another discussion with Eltain, "But until I see something that truly makes me believe that the Winter Court is up to something more sinister than usual, I don't think things will get as bad as you say." Still, he's willing to share the sigil sequence of the academy with Pavick. Pavick is also able to sneak a peak at the Sigil sequence of the teleportation circle in the Sharma estate late one evening, in between two sets of patrolling guards.

But after everything, the time has finally arrived to go to the Court of Stars. Kolida travels separately (much to everyone's relief), and before long the Winter Ensemble (plus Pavick and Lucan), find themselves on the teleportation circle, as a mage begins entering the sequence for Senaliesse (which the quick-thinking Pavick also takes note of).

-------------- Everyone --------------

Arriving in Senaliesse, the first impression is of the huge silver trees as far as the eye can see. Even by Feywild standards, the trees dwarf any other you've seen, some over 100 feet in diameter. The teleportation circle you arrive in is built into one of these trees, and you find yourself in a small gazebo type structure, made entirely of polished white marble. Looking over the edge, you realize that you're already hundreds of feet in the air, and it looks as if the trees continue up for hundreds more. In between the branches and separating the various structures built into the trees are long woven strands of ivy, glowing as green as the most brilliant emerald you could imagine on the material plane. The air is warm, with a faint breeze blowing. For those coming from Winter Lands, it's a startling adjustment, but for those coming from the Printempest estates, it feels like the natural transition from Spring to summer.

All around you, fey of every type you can imagine move between the trees on large bridges of polished marble and worked silver, shafts of sunlight reflecting off each and making them glow in the soft light. Darting about you see Eladrin and Elves, Satyrs and Hamadryads, pixies and nixies, dryads and naiad, gnomes, hags, and every manor of creature you couldn't even have imagined.

From nearly every tree, you can hear the sounds of music, revelry, dancing and singing. It seems that everywhere you look there are creatures celebrating.

The rooms you are given seem to be tailored to whichever court of the Feywild you have come to represent. The rooms are private, and simple, but the beds feel like clouds and each has a view looking down over the celebrating city of Senaliesse.

As you settle in, pixie messengers are sent to everyone, informing you that the opening banquet shall commence at sundown, and the Court of Stars convenes at noon the following day.

OOC: You'll have a chance to interact with anyone from the Court of Stars at the Banquet that evening, so this is more a chance for the party to meet up with each other and plan/strategize/catch up/whatever. If you need it, here's the link to the members of the Court

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan goes to find Shep and the others, so he can share the horrible news of how the pixies wiped out the Lings.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Shepherd stroked his beard through all of Lucan's story, his eyes narrowed in thought and focused on some far away intangible vision. When the bard finally stopped speaking, tears in his eyes, the Shepherd paused his stroking, fingers locked together and his beard looped through them.

"You say the pixies wiped them out," He began, holding up a finger, "But could it be that they did not wipe them out, but instead they..." And here the Shepherd paused dramatically.

"Split them in half?"

The overly dramatic nature of the Feywild could not resist such a revelation. The sky above darkened ominously for a moment, and lightning flashed through the clouds, while the wind picked up and howled suddenly in a sound that sounded surprisingly like DUN-DUN-DUN!.
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2011-12-21 at 02:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain wanders in during Lucan's story, snowing lightly. His wintery appearance is nothing new to Pavick and Lucan, but to the others it's a bit startling to note his cool-toned white skin and pale blue lips. His time in the winter lands has had a high emotional toll upon him, and it shows. He doesn't even poke fun at Lucan's Ling obsession. Shep's dramatically preposterous proposal, however, finally breaks the ice a bit, and he chuckles.

"Half a Ling, huh? Just might work." His serious mood returns, however.

"So. I'm sure you've gotten most of the information through Lena, is there anything you need in more detail? And what are the current plans? You know what we've been up to better than we know what you three have."

27. - Top - End - #357
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

"Well..." says what is likely Senialesse's only drow, "My plan for myself is to perform perhaps the most challenging task I have ever attempted. I, Zyrr'delin, am going to be.... cautious." He spits the last word out as if it were burning his tongue. "I'll need to be credible when I'm called to speak what I know, which means I can't risk being found waist-deep in the Winter Court's skeleton closet."

"Speaking of the Cold Ones...." He grins at Eltain. "So now you have a mother who happens to be ruthless, manipulative she-devil, and a brother who's a saint in comparison. You and I are finding more in common each time we meet."

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Else they were pixie-sized thieves whose only descendents were the children produced from nights stolen from pretty human lasses." Aramil smirks for a bit, then adds "Best not to think about it too much."

Then he snaps back to business. "You remember our leads for additional allies? Do you three have any opinion on them?"

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard

"I guess I should tell you what I did. I ran into Koalabear--that was scary. And that pixie also told me how he had to leave his home," Lucan says. "So we went there and found giants making weapons using a portal to the Elemental Chaos. Oh, and there were eladrin riding white bears who made an alliance with the goblins, and sprites becoming apprentices for an overworked blacksmith, and elves complaining about not learning swordplay at the temple of Corellon, and shopkeepers selling lots of food, and dryads not able to buy frog eyes because the Hoarfrost Academy bought them, and Eladrin looking at centaur migration patterns, and a satyr loading carts of Marriallis berries. It was all very confusing."

Spoiler
    Show

The original list of rumors:

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    As Lucan wanders throughout the city, he does find that the winter fey tend to be a very different sort of people than he usually interacts with, and the normal rapport that he's accustomed to building with strangers is a bit strained here in Celanthir. Still, you do here snippits of conversation and bits of news from all over the city.

- A pixie named Darryl Flutterbum was complaining to one of his sisters. "...and then, King Twiddlediddle said that we don't get to go back to the honeycomb caves anymore, but were going to go live somewhere new and awesome which sounds really fun because I like to go and see things that are new and awesome but its also kind of bad because I liked living in the honeycomb caves and I think I've still got a light leaf hidden back under my bed but I think mother might have found it so I don't know if its still there anymore and even if it was sometimes having a light leaf makes it difficult to go to sleep at night but it having one makes it easier to find my way in the dark when I want a midnight sugar rush so I guess I really will miss it a bit, unless the new place we're going to has light leafs already there...

- A pair of patrolling Celanthir Mounties (Eladrin riding polar bears) were discussing serving at the borders of goblin kingdom Nachtur. Apparently, a treaty or a new defensive strategy was recently enacted, and troops are being pulled back.

- A pair of Sprites were discussing applying to be blacksmith apprentices to the Frost Giant Fjordgynanhac. Lately, Fjordgynanhac's work is in exceptionally high demand, and he recently started accepting dozens of new apprentices

-A trio of elves, both acolytes at the temple of Corellon, are discussing the high-priest of the temple. "Yes, of course meditation is part of our studies, but Corellon is also a warrior, all of the stories say so. I don't understand why HighFather Adyoorel has stopped all of our trainings with the blade."

- The shopkeepers all seem to be very happy as of late. Apparently, the demand for foodstuffs has increased dramatically over the last year, so much so that they're having to bring in food from other planes besides just the feywild.

- A pair of Dryad witches are complaining to a local merchant, about availability of spell components. "What do you mean you're out of frog eyes! The first of every month for the last 30 years, I've come here to buy frog eyes, but the first time someone from the Hoarfrost Academy comes buy, you sell him your entire stock? What kind of customer loyalty is that?"

- In one of the local taverns, a group of Eladrin (you're uncertain as to their occupation) are examining a map of the Planes of Echoing Thunder, plotting out Centaur migration patterns

- A Satyr is working as fast as you've ever seen a satyr move, trying to load up carts filled with Marriallis berries to a team of elk. Marriallis berries are typically used for wine, dye, a few magic rituals, and the treating of leather.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2011-12-23 at 09:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick produces the dagger he had... liberated... from the honeycomb caves. "Here is the proof of what was going on at the caves. There are rituals that can verify what was going on there through this dagger, if needed. And I spoke to some of the winter court's nobility and they confirmed what we already knew, they are looking to put one of their own in power. They seem to trust me, to a point, right now, and have asked for the gnomes support. It seems like there must be a way to use that, but I'm not exactly sure how."