New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Keep on the Shadowfell- New Era IC

A wooden sign carved in the likeness of a haughty looking griffin sways slightly in the rain just over the entrance to the Prancing Griffin. No one would who had ever seen the place would dare to call it an inn or tavern. In truth it was nothing more than a thatched roof set atop four tall poles, a collection of dark wooden tables and chairs, and a large fire pit at the center. A plain wooden fence had been built between the poles that held up the roof to help keep the wind at bay, but parts of the fence were falling down and it was clearly in need of some repair. Still most travelers agree that on the long journey to Winterhaven it is the best rest spot to be found.

Heavy rain pelts the thatched roof, the road alongside of the rest stop, and anything unlucky enough to be caught outside just as it has for the last two days. The harsh temperature of the late autumn season makes the rain bitingly cold outside of the warm enclosure. Rainfall has turned Kings Road into a sloppy mess of mud and pebblers. Wagon tracks and footprints that mark the passage of travelers have been flooded by rainwater creating small lakes and rivers on the road's surface.

The proprieter, a kind woman named Maede Owen, is stoking the central fire with a heavy iron poker and sending sparks into the air as she shifts the burning logs within around. Wiping the sewat from her brow the pretty redhead leaves trail of ash on her face. Several short metal skewers are jutting into the flames tables holding a mixture of spiced meat and vegetables that fill the enclosure with a mouth watering smell as they cook. The lid of a black pot rattles slightly as it's contents boil next to the fire. Dented iron pitchers filled with water and battered mugs have been set out on each of the tables.

In the far corner a man with his cloak pulled down over his face is seated at one of the tables rubbing his hands violently. His clothes are soaked through and he is shaking slightly as though he isn't used to the cold.

A donkey tethered to an old cart out in the rain is chewing on the overly long grass at the side of the road, the road is otherwise unoccupied.

Maede takes the lid off of her pot offering a quick glimpse of the bubbling stew within as she stirs it with a long wooden spoon. As steam rises from the pot she replaces the lid and glances around at the occupied tables clearly looking to see if any of her guests are in need of food or drink.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Keep on the Shadowfell- New Era IC

“Alas, it has been many years since last I had to travel in such conditions” An old looking man thought to himself as he trudged along the muddy road. His white hair was plastered to his body and his robes weren’t so much flowing as dragging, picking up ever increasing amounts of dirt as he traveled along. ”Perhaps it might have been better had I waited until the rain let up, I haven’t been this soaked since I had to go down to make sure the traps didn’t get washed away by the flood.”

It didn’t look like he would have to endure the rain too much longer though, for there in the distance he spotted a house with a sign he had heard about in his recent journey. It didn’t look like a lot, but it would certainly be better than staying out here. The wizard turned ever so slightly, changing his direction from the open road ahead to the humble little structure, from which he could now catch the most wonderful scents of meat and vegetables.

Without any great displays Billy entered the dining area and took a deep breath, thankful to be out of the cold and rain. The dirt and mud and water that had been his companion for the past few hours slid away and disappeared into nothingness, as though chased off by the hospitality of this traveler’s rest. His beard and hair also straightened themselves out and began to lay properly on his otherwise wiry frame. Thankful even more to no longer look like some kind of shaggy dog the costumed youth made his way over to the one who appeared to be in charge.

“Good health to you, madam.” He spoke with a genteel tone, “If you have any extra, might I offer you some coin for a bowl of stew and a cup of hot tea?”

He noted the chilled individual in the corner in the back of his mind as he spoke, and pondered for a moment if he should magic their soaked attire into proper order. He decided against it for the moment though, if they wished for his help they would have to ask first. Steeld had always told him about how wary some were of magic, that one act of kindness might be met with surprise and bemusement.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Maede gives Bill a confused look. Clearly she is wondering how he managed to arrive at her doorstep without being soaked by the storm, but at the mention of coin her curisoity is replaced be a warm smile. "Always plenty to eat at the Prancing Griffin sir. Have a seat and I'll bring your meal right over." The hostess points towards one of the nearest unoccupied tables before turning back to the fire.

A moment after Bill had taken his seat Maede arrived setting down a clay bowl filled with stew, a cup of strong smelling tea, and a small wooden spoon on the table in front of him. The contents of the bowl and cup are still steaming heartily.

Smiling merrily Maede gives Bill an appraising glance before she speaks. "That'll be eleven copper for the meal and the shelter. Would you like anything else?"
    Last edited by Sakutian; 2011-09-25 at 07:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Billy bowed graciously to his host before taking his place at a small table. Having learned by this point that some people of the world considered it rude to wear a hat to meals, the elderly looking youth removed his odd accessory and placed it on the surface before him, of course leaving plenty of room for the wonderful smelling meal that soon came to him.

“Many thanks, ma’am.” He replied graciously, reaching toward his coin pouch to retrieve a siver and a copper coin. To think that this practice, now so familiar to him, had once seemed such an alien ritual that he thought it to be a joke. Now he understood money was a little like magic; it stored value in a small compact format, representing a certain amount of food, livestock, or other necessity of life though being formless without a bit of work. Turning these two useless bits of metal into a delicious stew and warm cup of tea was surprisingly little different than pulling raw magical energy from the universe and forming it into a light or song might be.

“This will suit me well, though I may call for a small container of water by the end of the meal. I sometimes like to finish off with something sweet and I feel it would be a great insult to you were I to try to overwrite any of the flavors of your cooking.” He replied with a soft smile in his eyes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"This way, my soggy Dwarf friend. We will survive this storm yet! I see an inn ahead!" The halfling calls to his recently-acquired travel companion, forging ahead toward the Prancing Griffin. He remained in cheerful spirits, despite being soaked to the bone. At last, civilization again! He was still most comfortable around crowds.

Now heedless of his companion, Rigel composes himself and strolls through the doors, smiling at every patron inside and winking at a young barmaid as he walks to the bar.

He sees Maede serving the old human and whistles at her appreciatively. "When you are done with the old gentleman, I would like to enjoy the hospitality of this fine establishment!" He unties his belt pouch and lets is fall to the bar, tinkling with coin (admittedly mostly coppers). Ale and a bowl of that delicious smelling stew!

He reaches into the pouch and withdraws a single silver coin, letting it fall noisily to the bar. "And keep the ale coming, my dear woman!"

He takes another silver coin and let's it fall. "And a round of ale to the other patrons fortunate enough to enjoy the hospitality of your lovely establishment this night!" He says in a loud voice.

He takes the opportunity to smile across the room. His real intent was to provide a legitimate excuse to fully soak in what's around the room. The cold traveler may provide an interesting distraction. It is likely he is a better conversationalist than the grumpy dwarf. Of course, their kind was always so grumpy. They got more angry over a few silly silver coins than any other.

Still, there was the old-looking man beside him. He peers at him closely, noticing that not all about him is as it seems. He turned to the dry man. "It would appear you have been here a while, grandpa, seeing how dry you are. Or is there a special trick you possess to make the rain fear you?" He says this with just a hint of sarcasm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rigel is trained in perception, I am assuming that if he took 10 he might be able to notice something off about Billy's disguise
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2011-09-25 at 09:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Maede smiles as she plucks the coins from Billy's hand and deposits them into a dark leather pouch hanging from her waist. She gestures idly towards the iron pitcher and cups at the center of the table.

"There's a pitcher of water just there in front of you, feel free to help yourself to as much as you like."

Rigel's colorful entrance draw Maede's attention and she crosses the inn with a great deal of speed to serve him. Ladeling out another portion of stew into a bowl she places it on the bar next to the halfling along with several cups and a pitcher full of ale. She also scoops up the pieces of silver that Rigel had placed on the bar as well as a few more coins. "If you'd like anything else just ask."

Taking up one of the ale filled cups she brings it over to Billy's table and sets it next to his food. "Enjoy."

The man who'd been sitting in the corner approaches the bar and picks up one of the glaases. As he raises the glass to Rigel in a hearty salute his hood slips back revealing a youtful face, shortly cropped brown hair, and green eyes. "Many thanks for the drink good sir, Pelor's radiance be upon you."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ah, the rain!
    The genasi open his arms receving the grace that was the water, looking at his newly aquire companions
    How lovely of this grace to fall upon us!
    The water runs through his body and his run through the raindrops around him.

Oh, thy shiny grace
    That descend from the sky
    Guide of my race
    Every time you pass by
    I realize how wonderful is
    This world, pure bliss
    Since from high above
    Descend my love.

As the little - and catastrophic - poem, Valaar see a construction
    Ah, people! Finally a place for my lyre to echo! This rain was wonderful, but kept me from showing you how graceful are my songs!
    The bard enters the Pracing Griffin, the water runs of his clothes, much of it absorbed by his body, but most simply descending to the ground outside. He then moves to the lady who seems to own the place.
    My fair lady, could you grace me with some stew and a mug of water? It's painful to say, but I'm indeed starving. After my meal, if that wouldn't bother you, dame, I would be more than grateful to have a chance to play some songs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling diplomacy, just for the sake of it.
    Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[25]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The halfling can't help but smirk, lightly, but returns the salute. "I feel that on a night such as this that all those caught in it could use a little warmth inside." He lifts his ale in salute and drinks half of it one long draught. He takes some time to slowly eat the stew, but continues speaking.

"Perhaps you can enlighten me, and my young friend here." Rigel says smirking again and tilting his head toward Billy. "What brings you this far down the Kings Road?"

The halfling notices the Genasi enter the establishment, but pays him no further heed for now.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2011-09-25 at 11:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Setting his drink back onto the bar with a slight grimace, probably from the strong taste of the ale, the man takes a seat on one of the chairs in front of the bar. "I'm on my way to Winterhaven, I'm hoping to sell some goods in the market there. I've got some things in my wagon that might make the winter pass a bit more easily for the farmers up there."

Maede glances at Valaar clearly at a loss for words for several seconds. Apparently Gensai aren't a common sight in this region and his appearance seems to worry her for a moment. "Water is free sir, you can help yourself to as much as you like." Suddenly glances at Valaar's lyre and the tension in her face eases greatly. "I'll make you a bargain. If you'll play your instrument for a while I won't charge you for the stew. Do we have a deal?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Billy smiled subtly as he took another bite of stew, taking note of the knowledge apparent in this halfling’s words. Not everyone was observant enough to note his actual age right off hand, and it was a bit of a mental game of his to see how long the fact would become known. Perhaps it was folly to keep up such a guise when it could be penetrated so easily, but the image of a wise old man was one that appealed to the young traveler. It was as much a symbol of his aspirations as it was a conversation starter and statement of his profession. Strange to think, wizardry really was his profession now that he was no longer strictly an apprentice. Still, he knew he had much to learn, the entire reason behind his journey here was part of an eternal quest for knowledge.

“Simply a parlor trick, kind sir” he replied between bites, finishing off the last of the stew and waving his hand over the bowl. The clay container immediately appeared as though it had just been pulled off the shelf, sparkling in the firelight. Quite literally actually; a chuckle escaped the wizard’s mostly hidden maw as he ceased the cheap special effect and reached for his glass of tea next to the cup of ale. He’d never actually tried the stuff before, but knew that quite a few individuals were fond of it. He would definitely have to give it a try after finishing off his herbal drink.

His attention turned shortly thereafter toward the bard, and he lifted a glass of tea in much the same way as the halfling had a moment before. “A song would be lovely, good man. I look forward to hearing your performance.” He noted for a second the odd physical qualities of said individual, but it was more in interest than anything. Such an individual he had not seen before, however he suspected this journey would introduce him to many people of sundry types. Besides that, who was he to think a person's appearance to be odd?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

So Reina had acquired a halfling along the road to talk to, which had made the time go by faster and thus the journey easier, despite the drizzle of rain and the bite of wind. She'd introduced herself, omitting telling details; she lived on a patch of farmland and had recently taken up arms when a touch of restlessness had come over her. She'd heard of a goblin named Iron Tooth from a Bard's story, so to Winterhaven she's headed to test her mettle against him. Because Reina was cautious about mentioning anything about her husband, or in fact that she'd been married at all (besides, if asked, that she perceived Rohieve as a great dwarven hero). Reina passed the time instead talking about farming, shopkeeping, and smithing.

When the rains had gone from drizzling to downright pouring, there was no more use trying to speak, or yell, over the buckets of rain they were being doused with. They trussed-up their cloaks about them (Well, at least Reina did) and soldiered on through the drowned muck.

The halfling--by this time she knew him as Rigel--yelled over his shoulder something Reina didn't quite catch; when she lifted her head darted her eyes up to look, she caught the sight of a flickering lantern ahead. Reina got a blast of rain in the face for her efforts. Heartened, however, their steps picked up and they soon found themselves at the door and dashing inside.

Before entering, Reina scraped most of the mud from her boots out of habit. As she set her now semi-clean booted feet inside, a glance about her and Reina found the Prancing Griffon wasn't so much prancing as falling apart, but at least carefully attended-to. While her chance companion immediately broke into some loud display at the bar, throwing his coin everywhere, Reina quietly removed her heavy shield, then her cloak made of leather tarpaulin and quickly made for the fire. The smells coming from cooking food made her mouth water. She smiled and greeted Maude and asked after the biggest bowl of stew they had with some of those roasted meats and vegetables piled a-top it. "And mug of cider, if you have it, please." She asked politely, well-mannered. Most people, especially humans profiting in the provision of weary travelers respite, appreciated manners.

Reina delicately set her cloak over the back of a chair to dry quickly by the fire. Reina herself sat as close with her back to the fire as possible, even if it meant sitting on the floor. Her upper torso was mostly dry, but her legs were soaked and bits of mud stuck to her. Her boots were removed, then damp socks. She wanted a bath, and longingly thought of her tidy little cottage. Probably filled with busy little spiders, now. She thought with some regret.

A bit more comfortable now with her feet drying, she unbuckled and removed the plates of scalemail from her person. She sought in her pack for a clean cloth and dabbed herself and armor dry, then applied a fresh varnish of oil to metal and leather. The dwarf was obviously making herself right at home, propriety be damned.

When served, Reina thanked the woman, gave her coin, and dug into her stew and drink.

Odd bits of conversation floated around her, and she only half-paid any attention to it--she knew her quest well enough. She did glance up to check the other travelers; an old, wizardly-looking man, her halfling companion, who was talking with a cloaked fellow, and a bard, who had the weirdest skin condition she'd ever seen, or a race she'd never met before. The dwarven lass made a note to herself to ask the 'keeper about Winterhaven and any choice rumor-tidbits she had offhand.
    Last edited by Gwenir; 2011-09-26 at 05:07 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Valaar gladly smiles to the owner.
    So, a deal we have!
    With a measure, and a quick tricky looping the Lyre in his right hand, the Genasi completes.
    The finest songs in my repertoire, for that stew wich smells so divine!
    His hands move quickly along the strings of his lyre.
    Friends! Gather, as the echoes of past roams along with you within this roof. A tale of bravery, friendship, honor - and death.
    The bard dramatically pauses before the last two words, no sound from his instrument, looking the audience with his dreadiest face, he then starts to sing.

Son of the mountains
    Heir of the rock,
    Slayer of giants,
    Mightiest of the dwarves.

Iron in his shield,
    Steel in his hammer,
    A fortress in the field,
    Roheive Kjeldsselr

(...)

Hope fade away
    In the malevolous ambush,
    Alone he secured
    The path to his allies,
    Holding the menace
    So they could survive

And as his hammer,
    Fell by his side,
    His friends he protected
    With mountains might

His feats will always
    Echo in our hearts
    As it was guarding this very land
    He had his last breath.

As the song ends, he reaches for a bowl of stew, with another measure to Maede.
    How did you like this first one, my kind dame? If you liked it, could I have a bowl of stew now, before continuing?
    The young bards seems to be always smiling - a smile that shines almost as much as the silvery lines through his body.
    Last edited by tlobo; 2011-09-25 at 09:44 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Reina sampled her food (assuming it was already brought to her) and found it delicious. The meat had that gamey-flavor of the wild, hunted variety and flavored the stew with a salty, hearty taste. Very tasty. The cider was sweet and tangy and had the freshness of being recently brewed, and, she found, went better with the meal than a mug of bitter ale, but that was just personal taste.

While she ate, the funny-looking blue-skinned bard stood up and sang for his food. The melody he played on his harp was pretty enough, but when he began singing, she couldn't help but stop mid-bite to listen. Her food forgotten, she listened to yet another bard tell the tale of her husband. This one was slightly different than the others, yet still the same. The bard's voice was especially mesmerizing, and she found herself evoked with feeling at each verse.

When he finished, she let out a sad sigh and looked down at her food, much cooled now, and started eating the rest in a hurry. She set her bowl aside when finished (which was later picked up by Maude), and replaced her armor about her person. Her socks and boots weren't dry yet, so she walked barefoot on the dirty, wood-planked floor, right up to the bard. Her mug of half-drunk cider in hand, she set it meaningfully on the tabletop (or bar, not sure where he's at) and took a chair beside him. "Hello. I'm Reina. I liked your song." She greeted, introducing herself and cutting to the chase. "Where did you hear it? Did you make it up yourself?" She asked, watching him intently, hand around her mug. Was he eating? Did she stop him in mid-bite? Well, too bad!
    Last edited by Gwenir; 2011-09-26 at 05:14 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Maede pats Valaar on the shoulder smiling warmly. "It was a lovely song sir."

While she prepares a bowl of stew for the watery Genasi the innkeeper beams at her suddenly crowded establishment. "I must say it makes a nice change having a musician visit. Haven't had anyone who could play a note ever since the filthy goblin Iron Tooth started attacking travelers."

Maede sets the bowl down in fornt of Valaar. "When you've finished with that I'd love to hear another one of your songs."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Rigel largely ignored the bard. After all, he didn't think it worth his time to listen to songs that weren't about him. However, the combination of ale, good food, and music had lifted his mood considerably. He was still chatting idly with the merchant and the wizened-fellow who sat next to him but pauses when Maede mentioned Iron Tooth.

"Pardon me, good lady, but you mentioned a goblin attacking travelers? I beg your pardon, but that moniker applies to me and the other fine waterlogged fellows in this place. Could you tell us more so that we may take heed when we take our leave?"
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2011-09-27 at 09:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

For a moment Maede seems hesitant to reveal whatever information she has. "I do hear things, mostly rumors from travelers."

"Until three months ago the biggest problem in the goblins living around Winterhaven were never more than the local milita could handle. I've heard that Iron Tooth has them all banding together now and he's started attacking people almost every day. You be careful on the road sir, he's liable to try and put a halfling such as yourself in a pie if he sets eyes on you."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

With a contented sigh Billy lay back in his chair with eyes closed, sipping his tea and listening to the song. It was a tale of bravery, of heroics, of an individual willing to remove himself from safety in pursuit of a greater good. Though the idea of dying horribly at the hands of an enemy didn't really suit his fancy, he found the idea of being able to do so much good to be quite an attractive one. Alas he knew he probably would never live to such a concept. Sure he had been trained in magical combat, and he held his own rather well in training, but what would he do if his life really were in danger? Perhaps that was a question that could only be answered with time, he certainly wasn't going to go out looking for danger unless it was important.

The elderly youth finished his tea by the end of the song, thoroughly relaxed. As he had with the bowl he cleaned the cup, omitting the sparkles this time, and placed it back on the table. There existed one more item for him to try though, the ale that had been kindly purchased by the traveling halfling. He reached out and picked it up, looking it over closely before bringing it to his nose. The scent was strong, and quite unlike anything he had actually tasted before. To be honest he was unsure if he would like it, but it would be rude to not even try it. With a bit of hesitation he brought the cup to his lips and took a long sip.

It took every bit of willpower in the wizard's body not to recoil at the flavor. He'd heard it was an acquired taste but had assumed that was a bit of an exaggeration. It burned slightly in his throat in an unfamiliar sensation that was not entirely revolting though. Billy looked side to side, making sure no one was paying particular attention to him, and tapped the mug a couple times, imbuing a bit of magic into the drink. He had given it an honest try, and it would be ruder to leave the drink in disgust than it would be to tweak the flavor some. First get rid of the existing flavor, adjust it toward the flavor of exotic pomegranate juice, perhaps add in some strawberry and apple flavoring, and finish it off by chilling it down even colder than the air outside.

It was a flavor combination he had used a few times before, mostly on water after meals as his plan had been here. Unlike when he had flavored water though this drink kept the odd burning properties it had before. It didn't really take away from the flavor though, instead it added an unexpected depth to the drink. Such an odd sensation, he could almost feel the extra flavor in his breath. Having now discovered the secret to this odd beverage Billy continued to finish off his desert drink and watched the antics of the other guests.

Completely unbeknownst to the wizard; as the contents of his glass emptied the color of his platinum white hair shifted a couple shades closer to a very light sky blue.
    Last edited by norvilion; 2011-09-26 at 12:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming Reina's right in the middle of a conversation with Valaar.

Reina is having her quiet, innocent-looking conversation about his choice of song-stuff, when she catches one of the strange travelers out the corner of her eye, the much-bearded and robed chap, skinny as a reed, downing a pint of booze like a cactus in a desert when it rains. "Whoa! Oy, there!" The woman calls out suddenly, probably startling the blue-skinned bard she was talking to. She raps her knuckles rapidly on the table to draw the elder fellow's attention. "You tryingna' kill yourself?!" She calls out alarmingly to him, purposely trying to stop his drinking before he downs the whole cup. "Only a dwarf could drown hisself like that; A skinny, old thing like you is bound to have a heart a attack if you drink that so fast like..." Too late, the words somewhat died on her tongue as she noticed that length of beard of his go from wizened white to blitzed blue in an instant. "Err..." Poor Reina wasn't exactly used to magic tricks appear right before her eyes.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Adventure... Rigel thinks before noticing Billy's sudden hair color change. He turns to stare at the man, his mouth hanging slightly open.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Valaar looks to the dwarf lady, with such intense eyes.
    "Oh, I made a fan!" he thinks.
    Smiling - like always - he leaves the spoon and talks to her.
    Oh, no no. Altough I gave my personal touch to the melody, every word was sung before, by others. I learned that one not much time ago, and this is actualy the first time I played it to an audience. If you like, I have other songs, with happier endings, perhaps?
    He then hears the owner of the Griffon speaks of goblins attacking trespassers, as he opens his mouth to answer Reina makes him turn his head immediately.
    What happened?
    He then sees the wizard drinking as his beard changes color.
    Hahaha, that was a good tricky, fellow! You should teach me! Changin the color of my hair would surely amaze the audience!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Just as he is taking a second drink of his ale the merchant seated next Rigel catches sight of Billy's hair. He immediately spits out the ale and sprays most of what had been in his mouth over Rigel and Reina as he coughs and sputters. Holding the half full cup out towards Maede he continues choking as he struggles to speak to the innkeeper.

"What did you put in this ale woman?!"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Billy chugged the last bit of the drink eagerly, thoroughly enjoying this new take on one of his favorite after meal treats. The extra kick of the base beverage coursed through him and no longer really burned his throat, instead being replaced with a general warm feeling all over. He seemed to be gathering a bit more attention that he would have expected, though until the bard’s remark he couldn’t gather quite understand why.

“Oh my, many apologiess!” he exclaimed, “I appear to have botched the spell.” He was actually talking about the flavoring spell, but phrased it so it sounded like he was talking about his hair coloration spell. Indeed now that he was aware something was different he noticed quite a few odd symptoms he’d inadvertently inflicted on himself. The world around him seemed to be flowing ever so slightly, tricking his equilibrium and forcing him to focus a little to keep from gently swaying. He could feel a soft pressure under his skull, making his internal thoughts a bit more jumbled than usual, and almost seeming to make him care less than he might otherwise have. His skin was indeed quite warm; a symptom he now recognized was not from the wonderful beverage but rather his careless weaving of magic into it. He hadn’t made a mistake this rookie in years. He probably somehow infused the drink with pure chaos energy or something and it was messing up his senses. Even his speech he now noted, seemed to have been affected a tiny bit, as his well-intended and orderly pronunciation had come out a bit less precisely than usual.

“I’ll take care of this in a jiffy.” He reassured the others as he looked down at his oddly colored hair. Jiffy… what a strange choice of words. The slightly tipsy wizard concentrated on his powdery bluish hair and concentrated. The hue shifted a bit, resting at an almost indistinguishable light green. “No, no, that isn’t right” he chided himself. Once again the hair shifted, shifting again in hue to an extraordinarily pale lavender.

He sighed deeply and tossed his hands up for a second. “Alass, I really seem to have messed the spell up. Sorry again, I may have to jus look like this until the chaoss energy or whatever it was goes away on itss own”

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

A sudden clap of thunder booms through the air joined by the sound of rain falling even faster and heavier than it had been. Darkness has truly started to fall around the Prancing Griffin during the time you have been sheltering within it.

Ignoring the merchant's remarks about her meade and his sputtering Maede makes her way over to Billy and presses the flat of her hand to the wizard's forehead. "I think you'd better stay here for the night sir, I'd rather not leave you to Melora's tender mercy."

The red headed woman turns to regard all of her guests witht he authority of a general surverying her troops before battle. "As a matter of fact I think all of you had better stay here for the evening. Don't worry there won't be any charge, I'll not have my guests being washed of in some storm. You can make your way onward in the morning."

Maede moves behind the bar and pulls out several bed rolls and blankets which she arranges on the floor around the fire with practiced ease. The bedrolls and blankets are clearly old and homemade, some of them are a bit tattered and one is slightly scorched. Perhaps a traveler set it aflame when he rolled to near the fire while slumbering one evening?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Rigel was beside himself with laughter at Billy's drunken display. He was just wiping the tears from his eyes when he is interuppted by the thunder. He looks at Maede after her announcement. "Many thanks, noble lady, I am sure the dwarf will thank you." He says, indicating Reina.

He turns back toward the merchant. "Is there anything you've heard about goblin tribes around Winterhaven?"
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2011-09-27 at 09:35 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Maede smirks at Rigel's flattering words just before tossing a few logs from a stack next to the fire pit onto the flames. A cloud of sparks and pale smoke rises up from the fire as the fresh wood begins to burn and crackle.

The merchant wipes his mouth on the back of his hand and looks at the halfling with a nervous expression. This was no surprise to Rigel. Talk of bandits and monsters on the road were enough to terrify most travelers and the man he was sitting next to had clearly never taken part in a battle. Pouring himself a glass of water from a pitcher on the bar he takes a long drink before speaking.

"I know that Lord Padraig is desperate to have someone do away with those goblins. The rumor is that he's offering been paying travelers to kill the little fiends."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What suddenly looks like a storm fall over them, and the Valaar happily hums along, and, as he hears Maede's offer, catches her hand, and galantly kisses.
    You're trully a saving grace in this humble player life. Thank you!
    As the rain gets stronger, the bard sits and ends his meal, hearing the halfling talk to the owner.
    "Money, huh? Mine is almost over.", he thinks.
    You talk about a lord? Oh, how long was the last time in wich I played for a lord! Maybe I'll have that opportunity again soon! Winterhaven still is far from here?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

The merchant shakes his head in response to Valaar's question. "Winterhaven is just two days by foot, perhaps a day's travel by wagon. If you like when I set out in the morning I'd be happy to have you along on my cart."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"Deal!" Rigel booms loudly. "I wouldn't mind getting off my feet for a while, since we are going the same way anyhow."

He turns to look at Reina. "Dwarf!" he shouts. "I got us a lift to Winterhaven!"
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2011-09-27 at 05:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The genasi smiles at the loud halfling.
    "Halflings like this one are the ones who gives them the fame of always been in good mood."
    He turns to him.
    Little fella', you earned yourself a song!
    The bard walks fluidly to the center of the Grifon, lyre in hands, the strings sounding.
    This is a song of change, the song of how a small and cozy halfling went around the world, and although he didn't want it in the first moment, it would become one of the mightiest tales ever told!

Sitting in his house,
    It was the seventh day,
    The day of rest,
    The day of food!

Alone with his pipe,
    Smoked with great joy,
    But soon the rest would end,
    To the young halfling boy.

Also small where the ones
    Who knocked at his door.
    One by one they came along,
    The ones who started the lore
    That write this same song.

Who are you, the halfling said.
    How come you don't know?
    You're the one who made us come!
    I don't know any of you! The little halfling screamed!

That my sire, soon will be solved!
    For you are the one who let us in
    With the symbol in your door
    Calling for us, wich you will guide!

I wont' guide any of you,
    out of my house,
    before it's late!
    It's day of food and I'm turning blue!

The last who came,
    The one who was tall
    And silence he made
    The one in gray.

His voice was high,
    Like a thunder
    In the middle of night
    They will stay!

Because you are the one!
    The mightiest thief!
    The one who will guide!
    And steal the dragon!

Without believing,
    The fella' was speechles
    For him, little Bilbo
    Was not even a thief!

(...)

The song went on, long and full of excitation, mistery, dread and joy, and when it came to it's end, the the Genasi was touching only one string by time.

For him, little Bilbo
    Was now the greatest
    The one who stole,
    The one and the dragon!

He made a measure, and looked to the little thief.

What did you think of that, my friend?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I just love The Hobbit.
    Last edited by tlobo; 2011-09-27 at 08:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Reina is suddenly woken from her short-little-stupor from the merchant sputtering ale on her. With a look of disgust, she wipes away the remnants. Most of it landed on her cleaned armor. Bah--now she was going to reek. However, as Rigel's contagious laughter echoes through the ramshackle rest-stop, Reina can't help it; a good-natured chuckle issues from her. "Chaos energy?" She queries, not expecting an actual answer. "Well, I can't rightly disagree, but I'm pretty sure that's the liquor taking its toll on ya and little else." With amusement, Reina watches as the poor man try to return his beard to normal. The final color, however, she points to and nods with a grin. "Hah, I like that one. You should keep it; brings out your eyes."

The crack of thunder overhead interrupts the mirth inside, and the resulting downpour in particular wipes the grin from her face. After finally getting out of that storm, she was in no hurry to go back in it. Maede's invitation, and free t'boot, was more than welcome. She nodded at the proprietress with a smile and gave her thanks--just as Rigel predicted--to the woman, watching with slight interest as she laid out bedrolls for her guests. The red-blonde-haired dwarf indicated she'd take the one closest to the fire.

That settled, Reina asked for a refill on her cider, and feeling a bit peckish still, requested another helping of roast vegetables and meat. In the meantime, Reina would encourage the lavender-haired mage to drink some water. "You'll just have to let it roll through ya until its done with ya. Best thing is to sleep on it." She patted his hand gently with her rough, calloused one.

When served her extra meal, Reina ate and listened to Rigel, the merchant, and soon the bard speak. She noted, though she'd given her name, he hadn't revealed his.

"Deal!" Came Rigel's shout, rousing Reina from her thoughts. Ah, so a ride to Winterhaven, cutting the two-day journey into one. And all they had to do was guard the merchant's cart along the journey. She could do that. Chewing a mouthful of meat in her mouth, she lifted her second mug of cider in her hand to show her agreement.

The small party of traveling strangers were then given another of the bard's songs to enjoy. Reina listened with interest, though it made no mention of Rohieve or dwarves.... something about a halfling named Bilbo and stealing from a dragon. Lulled into sleepiness, Reina turned sleepy eyes to her borrowed bedroll.
    Last edited by Gwenir; 2011-09-28 at 04:49 AM.