New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP:Fim] Bridle Shores Bar/Downtown thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    "Trashy romance book with horribly written questionable scenes, naturally. Found it amongst the research materials section of all places, naturally I had to look through it," The filly pipped with goofy cheeriness.
    "You know what Gearstride? That book isn't supposed to be in here. Keep it. Smoothie yells from the basement.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

Knack takes a seat with Soft and Dawn, ready to get playing. "So, who's dealer?"

YIM: supersilverdraco Skype: supersilverdraco AIM: supersilverdraco

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy took a few minutes to ensure that Silverpine and Gearstride were settled in with their books, and headed downstairs after Night Jewel. He was almost at the bottom of the stairs when he heard...

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    "All right. You know, everything you do is kind of ruining the point of my being a 'rat." Night Jewel might as well not have bothered with talking, but since she'd started, she felt like keeping it up. "So how uncontrollable is your mind reading? Does it even work while you're asleep?"
    Wait, what?

Sandy halted on the stairs, eyes widening as he listened further. Aw, ponyfeathers! What have I been thinking about here?! Uh, books, sorting, chatting with Cypress, the Nightmares that one time...oh daggum it! Did I spill anything about the Long-wait...she's probably hearing all this. Sun and moon....gotta think of something random...uh...'A hundred bottles of salt on the wall, a hundred bottles of'...wait, does salt even come in bottles? He quietly backed up the stairs, continuing to think nonsense thoughts. As soon as he was sure he was out of sight, his horn lit up as he started to craft a spell around his head. Sure hope I remember how this works...
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

"Trashy romance book with horribly written questionable scenes, naturally. Found it amongst the research materials section of all places, naturally I had to look through it," The filly pipped with goofy cheeriness.
    Icy actually winced as Gearstride described the book. "On second thought, I do not want to know what you read on your spare time."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    I've gone to the best telepaths I can find, and searched through every book on mind reading available to me. Whatever is making my mind reading uncontrollable, it hasn't been documented, and I don't know how to fix it. If I did, I would. Or I could just lock myself up in my room for the rest of my life, and you'd likely have an insane mage on your hands instead of one that's likely to die if she's around too big of a group. Correct me if I'm wrong, but insane mages tend to be a lot more of a liability than mages that invade your privacy. As for it being annoying for me, I direct you to the aforementioned dying, and the fact that it put me in a coma once. she elaborates.
    "Oh. Dying isn't often something you like much, is it? I guess a mind can only take so many thoughts in it..." Night Jewel considered the situation a bit. So it's a mystery? Maybe I could help figure it out. That would be nice and tricky, and it would get rid of a great inconvenience. If something made it happen, there has to be something to undo it too, right?

"Also, I think if you found things to keep you occupied in the room you'd be locked in, you might not go mad from the isolation so easily. Still, I don't like the idea of being in one place for too long. So much to discover."

What exactly do you mean by Starmares? Something like an Ursa Major? If so, quite likely. I've seen other beings like those before. *Shudder* if you ever see a Scorpio or a Draco, stay as far away as is feasible. Ursa Majors might be scary, but those are by far worse. She says.
    "Well, possibly, but the starmares I've heard of are more like ordinary ponies who live in space than creatures literally made of stars. As for those Scorpios and Dracos, I haven't run into any yet, but I wouldn't want to take them on without a force of similar creatures loyal to me." A rat doesn't deal well with things that have a lot of direct power.
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

"You know what Gearstride? That book isn't supposed to be in here. Keep it. Smoothie yells from the basement.

"Aye aye!" The filly yelled back in response.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Icy actually winced as Gearstride described the book. "On second thought, I do not want to know what you read on your spare time."
    Gearstride watched her expression with mild amusement as she put away the book. "You don't really like me much do you?" She asked with a tilt of her head.
    Last edited by Benson; 2011-10-28 at 03:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh. Dying isn't often something you like much, is it? I guess a mind can only take so many thoughts in it..." Night Jewel considered the situation a bit. So it's a mystery? Maybe I could help figure it out. That would be nice and tricky, and it would get rid of a great inconvenience. If something made it happen, there has to be something to undo it too, right?
    Well, I'm not sure how it happened. I got it a few days after I got my Cutie mark with no warning, and no rhyme or reason why it would happen. I do know of one solution....but it's kinda risky, and I've been informed it could change me on a fundamental level, so I'd really rather not unless I can't find any other option.

"Also, I think if you found things to keep you occupied in the room you'd be locked in, you might not go mad from the isolation so easily. Still, I don't like the idea of being in one place for too long. So much to discover."
    There's really only so much you can do cooped up in a single area before you go insane from boredom.

"Well, possibly, but the starmares I've heard of are more like ordinary ponies who live in space than creatures literally made of stars. As for those Scorpios and Dracos, I haven't run into any yet, but I wouldn't want to take them on without a force of similar creatures loyal to me." A rat doesn't deal well with things that have a lot of direct power.
    Oh. I'm fairly certain those exist. I think I saw one in town in fact. she says simply. She is of course referring to Mystic.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

After a few botched tries, Sandy finally got his spell off. Smoothie, if her mind-reading extended that far, would hear his thoughts grow fainter and fainter, until they were silenced outright. Only for them to fade back in a few minutes later, then fade back out, and so on. Like he was walking out of her range, then back in, and back out again. Whatever spell he was using either didn't have the juice to silence himself completely, or he was jury-rigging some other spell to similar effect. Or Smoothie was simply that unintentionally good at this.

Thoughts (somewhat protected), he trotted back downstairs. "Afternoon, Smoothie." Seeing Night Jewel and Smoothie already discussing something, he waited for a decent lapse in the conversation to ask, "You know anything about the glass-statue-armor-thing down at Soft's bar? I've been gettin' this weird feeling ever since I clapped eyes on it, and I can't quite place why it's getting me all unsettled. Soft said you knew a bit more about it."

-know I've seen it before. I hope this jogs my memory, don't know what else-
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-10-28 at 03:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I'm not sure how it happened. I got it a few days after I got my Cutie mark with no warning, and no rhyme or reason why it would happen. I do know of one solution....but it's kinda risky, and I've been informed it could change me on a fundamental level, so I'd really rather not unless I can't find any other option.
    "Is it something related to the attunement of personality to abilities? That sounds like that would require you to change yourself, and changing that much isn't really worth it. Why lose everything you are just to get rid of an annoyance?"

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve
    Oh. I'm fairly certain those exist. I think I saw one in town in fact. she says simply. She is of course referring to Mystic.
    "Oh, cool! Thanks!" The image in Night Jewel's mind wasn't much like Mystic, so she was in for a surprise.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

"Is it something related to the attunement of personality to abilities? That sounds like that would require you to change yourself, and changing that much isn't really worth it. Why lose everything you are just to get rid of an annoyance?"
    I honestly just have no idea. she says simply.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    After a few botched tries, Sandy finally got his spell off. Smoothie, if her mind-reading extended that far, would hear his thoughts grow fainter and fainter, until they were silenced outright. Only for them to fade back in a few minutes later, then fade back out, and so on. Like he was walking out of her range, then back in, and back out again. Whatever spell he was using either didn't have the juice to silence himself completely, or he was jury-rigging some other spell to similar effect. Or Smoothie was simply that unintentionally good at this.

Thoughts (somewhat protected), he trotted back downstairs. "Afternoon, Smoothie." Seeing Night Jewel and Smoothie already discussing something, he waited for a decent lapse in the conversation to ask, "You know anything about the glass-statue-armor-thing down at Soft's bar? I've been gettin' this weird feeling ever since I clapped eyes on it, and I can't quite place why it's getting me all unsettled. Soft said you knew a bit more about it."

-know I've seen it before. I hope this jogs my memory, don't know what else-

The glass-statue-armor-thing is a being known as Simmer. He used to be a noble pony known as Gallant Garion. Nopony knows why he did it, but he ended up getting a spell developed. The spell was intended to turn him immortal, and it did, but at a price. Not only was his flesh and blood body completely gone, so was his original personality. Bitter thoughts became his every waking breath, and he started cursing and swearing vengeance on the princesses he swore to defend to the death. He started plotting to overthrow them, and creating metal copies of various ponies to use in his own personal army. He started subjugating innocent ponies and forcing them into slavery. However, he only managed this for so long before Celestia and Luna caught on. They tried using the elements of Harmony to restore him to normal, but it was no use. Whatever had corrupted him was immune to the elements. The only viable option was imprisoning him. They sealed him up somewhere beneath Mount Trotia, and that was supposed to be the end of the threat. The spell is unlike anything I've ever seen. If there's a way to dispel it, I doubt even Celestia knows. Or, if she does, she may just forget he even exists. I've sent a letter to her explaining the situation, but I have a bad feeling about the response.

Smoothie elaborates.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

"Aye aye!" The filly yelled back in response.

Gearstride watched her expression with mild amusement as she put away the book. "You don't really like me much do you?" She asked with a tilt of her head.
    "I think we both are much too different to be entirely comfortable with each other," Icy replied plainly.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

"I think we both are much too different to be entirely comfortable with each other," Icy replied plainly.

"Well I can't say that about myself as I don't feel uncomfortable around you, I see you more as a foil, but alas,"
    She casually shrugged. She looked at the ice blue filly for a moment with a small smile, invoking all the foal like cuteness she could deliberately.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well I can't say that about myself as I don't feel uncomfortable around you, I see you more as a foil, but alas,"
    She casually shrugged. She looked at the ice blue filly for a moment with a small smile, invoking all the foal like cuteness she could deliberately.
    Gah! Those foal like cute. 'Twas a weapon in their own right. Icy found herself smiling a little despite her initial hostility. "A foil eh? That's an interesting way to put it." She sat back down on her haunches. "So, where's your coltfriend? I never seen you without him before."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Gah! Those foal like cute. 'Twas a weapon in their own right. Icy found herself smiling a little despite her initial hostility. "A foil eh? That's an interesting way to put it." She sat back down on her haunches. "So, where's your coltfriend? I never seen you without him before."

"Uhm.....I'm not sure....kinda lost track of him in here,"
    She said a little sheepishly. "I did want to read him a horrible passage from the book because it was stupid funny."
    Last edited by Benson; 2011-10-29 at 04:39 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy...had to sit down for a moment. He let out a long breath, rubbing his forehead in disbelief. "Wow. That...wasn't expectin' that."

Ever so helpfully, he remembered where he had heard the story before. Smoothie would be treated to an image of a slightly younger-looking version of Sandy looking bored in a small classroom; some class on Equestrian history, by the looks of it. The instructor was blathering on about a certain pony made of armor, he was more concerned with the slow-moving clock. He remembered thinking, Just sit tight Shores, once you're through this class, you'll never need this- And then the thoughts faded out again.

The irony was not lost on the stallion. He'd have to send a rather apologetic letter back to the Academy. But later. After dealing with the evil armor pony of doom not even the Princesses could fix. Yeah. "So...what all's bein' done? We're not just gonna sit on our flanks waiting for a letter to come back, right? I mean, there's gotta be something we can do."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-10-29 at 12:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy...had to sit down for a moment. He let out a long breath, rubbing his forehead in disbelief. "Wow. That...wasn't expectin' that."

Ever so helpfully, he remembered where he had heard the story before. Smoothie would be treated to an image of a slightly younger-looking version of Sandy looking bored in a small classroom; some class on Equestrian history, by the looks of it. The instructor was blathering on about a certain pony made of armor, he was more concerned with the slow-moving clock. He remembered thinking, Just sit tight Shores, once you're through this class, you'll never need this- And then the thoughts faded out again.

The irony was not lost on the stallion. He'd have to send a rather apologetic letter back to the Academy. But later. After dealing with the evil armor pony of doom not even the Princesses could fix. Yeah. "So...what all's bein' done? We're not just gonna sit on our flanks waiting for a letter to come back, right? I mean, there's gotta be something we can do."
    Right now, the best thing we can probably do is hope he doesn't have a way to get out. He stole most of Knack's magic, but it apparently wasn't sufficient to re-activate him. I've been studying this odd gem I found at the bottom of the lake. she says, holding the thing up for Sandy to see. However, I don't deal with this kind of magic on a regular basis, and I can't find any books explaining what it is. I know of somepony who might know something about it, but Gwyn kinda hates my family on principal, and last we saw each other, we didn't exactly part on a high note. I guess that if I can't find anything, I'll approach her about it, but she's really a last resort type of thing. Smoothie elaborates.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Library]

Night Jewel did her best to listen. My, that pony can exposit. And there seems to be a lot of mysterious magic about. At least I have magic that everypony can figure out, and my night activities aren't that hard to understand to those who know about them... Which should be nopony, unless a certain mind-reader peeks deeper at these thoughts.

She looked at the gem curiously, wondering if her knowledge of the kinds of gemstones she'd "acquired" in the past would help her figure out what type this one was.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uhm.....I'm not sure....kinda lost track of him in here,"
    She said a little sheepishly. "I did want to read him a horrible passage from the book because it was stupid funny."
    "Interesting. Perhaps he fell asleep in wherever you came from?" Icy suggested, raising an eyebrow. "It is a research section after all."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

"Interesting. Perhaps he fell asleep in wherever you came from?" Icy suggested, raising an eyebrow. "It is a research section after all."

"Probably...I'll think I'll go wake him up to remind him to help me with the research...I ain't gonna do this alone,"
    The filly said with an amused furrowed brow.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

"Gwyn...is that the wizard pony on the edge of town?" Sandy furrowed his brow in thought. "Haven't seen or heard much about her, but I'd hope she'd put some grudge aside for 'saving all of Equestria'. If it'd help, I could try talking to her if it came to it. I don't think I've done anything that'd get her upset."

He examined the gem carefully, jotting a few notes about its color, size, shape (complete with bad doodles), and other relevant properties. This mysterious thing was likely going to be key in solving this whole Simmer nonsense. Why else would it have been so close to where they'd found him? Smoothie's remark on her lack of progress was giving the stallion an idea. "You wouldn't happen to have been taking notes while you've been studying this thing, would you?"

-have many of them, but daggum if this isn't worth it. Besides, it'd be much faster than mail-

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

"Probably...I'll think I'll go wake him up to remind him to help me with the research...I ain't gonna do this alone,"
    The filly said with an amused furrowed brow.
    "Gwyn...is that the wizard pony on the edge of town?" Sandy furrowed his brow in thought. "Haven't seen or heard much about her, but I'd hope she'd put some grudge aside for 'saving all of Equestria'. If it'd help, I could try talking to her if it came to it. I don't think I've done anything that'd get her upset."

He examined the gem carefully, jotting a few notes about its color, size, shape (complete with bad doodles), and other relevant properties. This mysterious thing was likely going to be key in solving this whole Simmer nonsense. Why else would it have been so close to where they'd found him? Smoothie's remark on her lack of progress was giving the stallion an idea. "You wouldn't happen to have been taking notes while you've been studying this thing, would you?"

-have many of them, but daggum if this isn't worth it. Besides, it'd be much faster than mail-
    "What research?" Icy inquired, again piqued by the fact that his worldly mare would concern herself with something as abstract as 'research'. To her, Gearstride seemed like more the type that would enjoy physical activities. ANY kind of physical activity.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

"What research?" Icy inquired, again piqued by the fact that his worldly mare would concern herself with something as abstract as 'research'. To her, Gearstride seemed like more the type that would enjoy physical activities. ANY kind of physical activity.
    Indeed, well nearly any kind of physical activity. Actually she had contemplated waking up Silverpine and demand that they make out in some isolated section of the library. She found the idea of making out in public among books kinda hot considering they could be caught at any moment and kicked out. Must have been slightly influenced by that book she read passages from, obviously, hur hur hur.

"Ah, hmm, well I guess I could tell ya,"
    She whipped out the coin from her saddle bags and held it up with the bottom of her hoof. "We think it might be from old pirate booty, so I'm trying to research the coin based on its markings. If we can figure out the history of this coin it might give us a clue to where just maaaaybe the rest of the treasure could possibly be. But I uh....got myself distracted." She awkwardly chuckled.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed, well nearly any kind of physical activity. Actually she had contemplated waking up Silverpine and demand that they make out in some isolated section of the library. She found the idea of making out in public among books kinda hot considering they could be caught at any moment and kicked out. Must have been slightly influenced by that book she read passages from, obviously, hur hur hur.

"Ah, hmm, well I guess I could tell ya,"
    She whipped out the coin from her saddle bags and held it up with the bottom of her hoof. "We think it might be from old pirate booty, so I'm trying to research the coin based on its markings. If we can figure out the history of this coin it might give us a clue to where just maaaaybe the rest of the treasure could possibly be. But I uh....got myself distracted." She awkwardly chuckled.
    (Have you got any place/plot in mind?)

Icy levitated the coin off her hoof and stared at it with one eye. "Definitely ancient, though the markings are rather worn..." she mused, turning the coin here and there. "The symbols seemed rather familiar though..."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

(Have you got any place/plot in mind?)

Icy levitated the coin off her hoof and stared at it with one eye. "Definitely ancient, though the markings are rather worn..." she mused, turning the coin here and there. "The symbols seemed rather familiar though..."
    (Not specific or anything, only that the pirates I had in mind were really silly ones. They were going to be ye olde ancient timey Amish Pirates...details about them to be added by whoever wanted to contribute, sillier but within loose reason, the better.)

Gear looked at the ice blue filly on a excited side. "Oh!...please if you can help that would be awesome."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

That probably would help. Though, I want to give her time to cool off first. As much as sitting around on our flanks isn't going to help, neither is bothering the already ticked off "Evil Enchantress" she says, and somehow Sandy can hear the air quotes around evil enchantress. She might be our only hope, and the best time to approach her is after she's had a few days to cool down. Plus, Simmer isn't active right now. At least at the moment, we have nothing to worry about.
    No, I haven't. Like I said, I don't know what kind of magic this is, and I can't find any books explaining it. It's almost like a combination of Abjuration, Transmutation and Conjuration, but I've never heard of anypony making a spell like that, or even being able to combine spell schools like that. she says, explaining what little she's learned in her studies. Whoever made this gem is likely the same pony who turned Simmer into what he is right now, and they were extremely powerful.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

That probably would help. Though, I want to give her time to cool off first. As much as sitting around on our flanks isn't going to help, neither is bothering the already ticked off "Evil Enchantress" she says, and somehow Sandy can hear the air quotes around evil enchantress. She might be our only hope, and the best time to approach her is after she's had a few days to cool down. Plus, Simmer isn't active right now. At least at the moment, we have nothing to worry about.
    "Sounds good to me. Besides, we won't be completely sitting on our flanks if I can help it..."

No, I haven't. Like I said, I don't know what kind of magic this is, and I can't find any books explaining it. It's almost like a combination of Abjuration, Transmutation and Conjuration, but I've never heard of anypony making a spell like that, or even being able to combine spell schools like that. she says, explaining what little she's learned in her studies. Whoever made this gem is likely the same pony who turned Simmer into what he is right now, and they were extremely powerful.
    Shoot. Well, the spell combination was a start. Sandy jotted down some notes on what she just said before continuing, "...because I may be able to get a book or two that can get you started. I've got a few contacts at the Academy I can ask, see if they've got any books in their collections about spells with combined schools." He shrugged. "If nothing else, it'd be worth a shot. I can keep from telling them the specifics of this whole business if you'd like."

-think of it, that's not a half-bad idea. I should send off those letters once I'm done, maybe Professor Granite has-

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

(Not specific or anything, only that the pirates I had in mind were really silly ones. They were going to be ye olde ancient timey Amish Pirates...details about them to be added by whoever wanted to contribute, sillier but within loose reason, the better.)

Gear looked at the ice blue filly on a excited side. "Oh!...please if you can help that would be awesome."
    "Hmm... let's see what book you gone over. Have you tried the Compedium of Pony Pirates circa 999?" Icy mused, already trotting over to the research section, apparently engrossed in puzzling out the mystery. Once they reach the said section, Sliverpine could be seen sleeping. Under a stack of books, with only his orange snout sticking out. Apparently he made a bookfort while sleeping.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm... let's see what book you gone over. Have you tried the Compedium of Pony Pirates circa 999?" Icy mused, already trotting over to the research section, apparently engrossed in puzzling out the mystery. Once they reach the said section, Sliverpine could be seen sleeping. Under a stack of books, with only his orange snout sticking out. Apparently he made a bookfort while sleeping.

Now the Munsters won't get him!

"Sounds good to me. Besides, we won't be completely sitting on our flanks if I can help it..."

Shoot. Well, the spell combination was a start. Sandy jotted down some notes on what she just said before continuing, "...because I may be able to get a book or two that can get you started. I've got a few contacts at the Academy I can ask, see if they've got any books in their collections about spells with combined schools." He shrugged. "If nothing else, it'd be worth a shot. I can keep from telling them the specifics of this whole business if you'd like."

-think of it, that's not a half-bad idea. I should send off those letters once I'm done, maybe Professor Granite has-
    Yeah, please don't tell them specifics. There are only going to be two outcomes. Laughter and them being unhelpful, or more terrified ponies, neither of which is anything resembling desirable. Smoothie suggests. Also, if you can think of any good books you can donate, the library can always use new ones. she says, plugging that in there real quick.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm... let's see what book you gone over. Have you tried the Compendium of Pony Pirates circa 999?" Icy mused, already trotting over to the research section, apparently engrossed in puzzling out the mystery. Once they reach the said section, Sliverpine could be seen sleeping. Under a stack of books, with only his orange snout sticking out. Apparently he made a bookfort while sleeping.

"He's so cute....,"
    Gear quietly commented as she couldn't help but give the sleeping colt a soft kiss on the muzzle. She found herself having a moment where she also couldn't help but just stare at him, mushy gushyness swelling up inside.

A moment later she kinda snapped out of it having a little sheepish smile on her face. "Uh....anyway....yea...that book....can't say I've tried that one." Finally remembering to address that question from earlier.