New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1591
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - The adventures of Scribly

"Hmmm that provides a very interesting conundrum" says the proffessor more pleased for the mystery than annoyed.

"So we have a group of people that look identical and are trying to kill you and no magic is involved... well there are two explanations still... they could simply be twin brothers, or more than twins anyway, or maybe they are not actually the same person but have small variations you did not notice?" he asks.

Spoiler
    Show

By the way, I am not doing this just to mess with you, but he doesnt know how much research you have done already on this...

AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, I am pretty sure they were all the same. I never put one next to the other though. Another intriguing bit, is that they are only a couple of months old.... I used magic to get this knowledge, and I'm pretty sure it is correct."

"Strange, huh? You must have seen quite a number of oddities in your studies though."

Spoiler
    Show
    No worries, it helps to get back into Scribly's mind set again, after the holidays.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

3. - Top - End - #1173

When you mention this last part he frowns.

"Only a few months old? That... that is indeed very strange... even a clone requires some time until it gets used to being what it is and twins or imposters couldnt be fully grown unless years had passed..." he pauses and taps his index finger on its lips.

He then looks up at you and shakes his head.

"I do have a theory... but... well... it cant be. Have you ever travelled in the Underdarl?"

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

"The Underdark, you mean? No, thank god no. I've heard nothing but horrors of it. .... you're not saying .... one such horror is after me?"

Scribly looks frightened, he had no experience prior to arriving in Aldhaven with anything monstrous and the thought alone terrifies him.

5. - Top - End - #1175

"Well alot depends on the timing between the attacks... " he says cryptically and he almost seems to enjoy the worry and panic in your voice.

"There is indeed an Underdark monstrocity that could generate... these... clones. It is aptly called "DeepSpawn" and well... rumor has it that once they... well consume someone they can create copies of him or her that are practically identical..." he pauses considering what he has just told you as well.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Troll in the Playground

"........ so you're saying such a Deepspawn might be after me? Are those things even intelligent? How would I recognise one?"

"I don't suppose this is something the guards can handle .., is it?"

7. - Top - End - #1177

"I do not know if its after you and why... since you say you have never been to the Underdark..." he explains.

"As for intelligence... yes they are quite intelligent and cunning. You would recognise one because it is a huge blob of flesh and muscle with many different protrusions like heads or arms and an oversized mouth... I believe I can show you a drawing I had once seen..." at this point he stops and uses a low powered illusion spell to show you what it looks like...

Spoiler
    Show

"As for the guard protecting you from it... well... I doubt it. You see these creatures would have actually ruled the world had they not been confined in the Underdark... their ability to consume someone and create an identical copy with the memories and abilities of the victim yet now serving the Deep Spawn is to say the least frightening..."

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly looks in horror at the creature.

"That thing is terrifying. But I do not understand how such a creature could hide here in the city. Are the clones controlled actively, or do they have their own intelligence?"

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly looks in horror at the creature.

"That thing is terrifying. But I do not understand how such a creature could hide here in the city. Are the clones controlled actively, or do they have their own intelligence?"

10. - Top - End - #1180

"They are as intelligent as the original victim was. They follow the commands of the deep spawn but retain their initiatives... which makes it even more scary for at least witless puppets can be out-witted very easily..." he explains grimly.

"As to how it can be here or where and why its chasing you I have no idea... There are sewers in the city but I believe there are very few places where such a creature could reside... what makes it even more improbable the bigger underground caverns around here are the areas that the Skulks, Kobolds and ratlings control so I doubt its there..."

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Troll in the Playground

"Any idea how long these clones last? I mean, this should give me an indication of distance at least."

12. - Top - End - #1182

"What do you mean how long they last? These clones are not a spell or a fake plant life thing... they are as real as you and I are... as such I assume they can last for a normal natural lifespan of their given species... so an elf could last for 500 years and a human for 70 years... unless if they die from other causes..." he tells you.

"I do believe I had discussed with a famous spell-lunker once though who told me that at any time the Deepspawn can only create -1- clone of a person... so you cant go around with 10 of the same... that off course doesnt stop it from making 10 different ones. Also I believe the period it takes it to birth someone can be from 2 to 5 days depending on the complexity and abilities of the organism..."

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Troll in the Playground

"I see. I think that's all the information I need."

"On a side note, you have quite an interesting number of grafts on you. Would they work on a shapechanger?"

14. - Top - End - #1184

The man shakes his head.

"I believe that it would not work. Grafts bond with your body and become part of it... they are no longer magic and hence should you change your shape they would lose their properties just as your other usual functions would be changed to that of the shape to which you change." he stops at this point.

"Unless off course if you shapechange to whatever you have a graft from... in that case it would still work!" he says and smiles.

Spoiler
    Show

Had it checked out in the rules-forum. Unfortunately grafts and polymorph/shapechange stuff dont go together...

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Troll in the Playground

"... that would just be silly." Scribly says with a smile.

Obviously he feels much more comfortable talking about other things, then horrors from the Underdark. He chats away some more before politely saying goodbye and thanking the man for his invaluable information.

He then heads to the inn to have a meal and a drink.

16. - Top - End - #1186

The professor seems to realise your change of demeanor and indeed to calm your nerves he continues discussing interesting yet not serious issues with you.

You arrive at the _inn_ (which inn by the way? Sad Flint?) and are indeed served whatever you desire...

17. - Top - End - #1187

Spoiler
    Show

Bump?

For great justice!

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Troll in the Playground

Scribly really takes his time here, having a couple of drinks after a nice dinner. He remains until night has come, before returning to his new den. To sleep and get ready for more business tomorrow.

19. - Top - End - #1189

You relax as you think all you have learned. The food is decent and the drink is good.

You wake up in the morning rested if a bit plagued by nightmares of huge cthuloid masses of the deep being after you...

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Troll in the Playground

In the morning Scribly wakes up, and looks around his new cosy place.

The new furniture really works well here. And having that chest makes it so much safer to just leave my valuables here. However, it does need some trophies or other kind of remainders of my adventures. I will have to get some shelves for that though. Perhaps put up my awesome clock....

Either way, I'm not in the green yet. Still got that deepspawn to take care of. Let's try some divination.

He settles down in his rocking chair and works his psionics.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Psionic divination to gain info on deepstalkers in the city.

21. - Top - End - #1191

Indeed the feeling of ownership and a nice environment does wonders for your self-esteem.

As you lean back in the chair and start rocking as the incense burns you go into a deep trance. Fleeting thought about foolish arcane casters or the divine casters that rely on Gods for answers pass from your mind.

You focus deeper though and tap into the collective consiousness of existence. It is here that you seek information based on the vibrant experiences of all living things.

You try to grasp the truth and you feel that you need to form a question for the universe to answer.

Spoiler
    Show

Divination responds to a more precise question... not 'give me info for' kind of thing. So you need to narrow it down...

Also unless I am mistaken there is a 25gp a pop cost for it... just saying.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground

As Scribly nearly dosed off in his new chair, he nearly forgets to ask the question, and quickly shoots one of.

Where is a deepspawn in Oldhaven?

Ha, a double question of course. As the assumption that it's here, isn't entirely correct. We'll see how goes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, thx for the heads up. I'll substract the gold.

23. - Top - End - #1193

You feel your question fall like a stone in a still lake and create ripples that extend and expand.

A cold presence fills you and your eyes water but just as you push yourself off the chair almost feeling like drowining you hear pretty clearly the message that makes your ears ring.

"One is where it should not be. One creates but does not control. Close enough to feel the power yet a wall stands in between."

Spoiler
    Show

I realise how cryptic these things can be... if you venture into 'exploring and reasoning' through your own vision I will add thoughts that come to your mind about it...

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, it seems my suspicions are confirmed. The deepspawn responsible for these clones, does not do so from it's free will. Most likely, it didn't even come here on it's own, but was called or kidnapped. Mentioning of a wall could refer to it's imprisonment, or rather that it cannot be reached easily.

That still leaves me very few leads. One of the things I do know though, is that it needs to kill it's victim before it can create it. So it's sending me a lead everytime it attacks. I'll get some artist to create me a portret from my description of the man, which hopefully will lead me to his dissapearance.

It does leave me wondering about that power that is mentioned though. It could suggest that the one who controls the deepspawn is not in feel control of it. And that it is a constant struggle. This could give me an edge later on.

But first, breakfast.... and I have nothing here.

Scribly then heads out and buys groceries, none of which require cooking, and has himself a nice breakfast at home.

25. - Top - End - #1195

Spoiler
    Show

Very good deduction. You got most of it correct so I wont venture into 'correcting' you :D

An alternate thing that comes to mind concerning the 'power' past could refer to a location that has something to do with being close or right next to but not IN places usually associated with power. There are quite a few such locations in Aldhaven.

You also do recall that you have one somewhat more direct clue... you were called upon by your first employer concerning something very important. Given that your first victim also had this green blood it might be a clue...

You also consider, given your knowledge of sympathetic magic, that if you can provide a body part of any of the clones you might be able to have a diviner actually locate or scry on the creature... usually blood, hair or some other very close item is required but given the relationship between clone and the Deepspawn, this might work.

Also,

Breakfast is found and had!

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Troll in the Playground

Realising the importance of his flashbacks, he puts together some more of the peaces.

Now, if only I head some more material from one of the clones....

Scribly starts searching his own stuff (clothes, weapons and bag of holding) for spots of green blood.

27. - Top - End - #1197

You do find some drops of blood from your first victim in the bag of holding... seeing as you had stashed him there.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, I got the blood. .... now to find someone to scry for me. I'm afraid the normal channels won't do for this. Way to tricky. I'd best do this myself.

Scribly heads out to buy a powerstone of remote viewing. When he's done, he returns and uses it with the blood.

29. - Top - End - #1199

You set up and start using the power.

The fact that you have a blood means that the barrier you have to cross to see the location and person you seek part quickly.

You then face something you do not expect. Your vision focuses on your target and you are suprised to find the man you killed, the runner up for the council position, sitting motionless on a plain wooden bed. Another 4 individuals are also present there but you do not recognise them. They are all wearing simple grey robes and none of them is talking or doing anything but rather just watching the other side of the wall motionless.

There is one more figure in the room. That one is a well dressed middle aged man with an authoritative posture. He is looking out the only window, which overlooks the street below. From the sight you can tell with some degree of certainty that this a part of the Old Town district.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, it seems they are creating new copies. Strange though, as they did not replace the man at that moment. ........ Could it be that the man actually staged the death of his own copy?!? Man, this town is a lot stranger then I thought.

Either way, lot's of clues to go by. Old town, grey cloacks and some man. Time to do some scouting.

Scribly changes to one of his human forms. A type he hasn't used before, as to make sure they cannot make the connection. He heads out and spends the rest of the day wandering old town, while also keeping an eye out for active streetgangs or other possible snitches.