New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 328434445464748495051525354 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1591
  1. - Top - End - #1561
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AvB - The adventures of Scribly

"Lets take it step by step friend!" he says as he prepares for the casting.

Some time later he smiles and produces a piece of paper.

It reads.

2 x Sepia snake sigil
    2 x Explosive Runes
    2 x Secret Page
    1 x Teleport Object dormant effect to be activated via a set contingency.

"Thats what it has on it. Dispelling all but the explosive runes isnt that hard. The danger with the explosive runes is that if the dispelling fails, they will be set off... meaning not only danger to me but also chance the book is destroyed.

I can ask a colleague to use Greater Dispel to improve our chances though..."
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #1562
    Troll in the Playground

"I can manage a bit of dispelling myself, AND I would able to dampen part of the damage. How much damage can a book like this take, before getting destroyed?

And how much would that greater dispel cost?"

"Also, it might be wise to get dimensional anchor in place, just in case the teleport object triggers. Or can you determine the trigger?"
    Last edited by Moranica; 2012-12-01 at 10:47 AM.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

3. - Top - End - #1563

"Around 600. The book is hard and well made... it could take... some damage before its ruined."

Spoiler
    Show

Hardness 0 , 10 hit points , each hit point lost would represent part of the book lost... so 4 hit points means 40% of the book etc...

4. - Top - End - #1564
    Troll in the Playground

"And would it be possible to temporarily raise that hardness?"

5. - Top - End - #1565

"Not that I know off... we could give a couple of things a try as I cant say I had that request before so they might just work!

Alternatively we can ask a cleric to cast forceward on the book to protect it from force damage... need to find a sympathetic cleric though..." he explains.

6. - Top - End - #1566
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I found the hardening spell. lvl 6 on the sorcerer/wizard list. Improves hardness by 1 per 2 cl, while maintaining flexibility etc. Also, it is permanent, so I won't destroy it by dispelling. Not sure if my character/shop owner would know this hough. Obviously I need hardness 6 to succeed.

"What idea's do you have? I don't know any cleric's and am not affiliated to any group. ... so that wouldn't work to well."

"How does that teleport object work?"

7. - Top - End - #1567

Spoiler
    Show

By the way, forgot to respond to your spoiler ooc text a few posts back.

Happy delayed birthday to scribly :D.

It has been very enjoyable DMing you/him and hope to a long future :D

I cant remember if I ever asked (or if I did, cant remember the answer) but where are you from by the way?

"Well, I was thinking maybe we could use a stoneskin spell on it but on second thought I could ask my friend to just make it harder! That would cost another 720 though..."

8. - Top - End - #1568
    Troll in the Playground

"I'll gladly pay for it. Could he help us out now? Because then I can start dispelling. And you can imagine that I want to know, what I'm spending all this money on."

"So I shouldn't worry about the teleport trigger?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Netherlands!

9. - Top - End - #1569

"Yes, will send a runner for him.

As for the teleport, well... I believe the trigger had something to do with getting the book back to its owner. For whatever reason though it didnt work. Could indicate the owner is on another plane or dead." he explains.

Thirty minutes later his colleague shows up, calmly makes the book harder, takes the money and departs without much fuss.

10. - Top - End - #1570
    Troll in the Playground

"Alright, I'll start dispelling then. Stand back now, since I can't garantee you won't get hurt from the runes."

Spoiler
    Show
    Scribly vigors first 50 hp, before using several powerful dispels on the book.

Using overchannel each time. Making my ML 11.

Not sure how many I'll need. I assume he'll warn me when I'm done.

In case the runes go off, he dampens them for himself and the book.

Dispel (1d20+11)[30]; (3d8)[18] damage to me.
    Dispel (1d20+11)[28]; (3d8)[12] damage to me.
    Dispel (1d20+11)[19]; (3d8)[14] damage to me.
    Dispel (1d20+11)[15]; (3d8)[16] damage to me.
    Last edited by Moranica; 2012-12-01 at 01:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1571

Your first attempt manages to negate the most powerful effect on the book. The teleport spell.

Your second attempt manages to negate 1 of the 2 (1d3)[2] Explosive runes traps.

Your third attempt fails against the (1d3)[2] 2nd explosive runes trap and the trap explodes in brilliant force energy. You and the book suffer 6 points of damage (because of dampening). The book is unaffected from this as it is... hard enough to withstand it.

Your fourth attempt also fails, this time against (1d3)[2] one of the 2 secret pages spells.

Currently remaining on the book are

1. 2 x sepia snake sigil
    2. 2 x secret page

Spoiler
    Show

Basically I was randomising as dispel affects the most powerful spell but all those 3 were of the same level.

Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-12-02 at 10:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1572
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Pp spend so far. (6,1,9,44 = 60; 39/99 pp left)

Scribly vigors again, this time for 35 extra hp and empty out on dispels.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[30]; (3d8)[9] damage
    (1d20+11)[28]; (3d8)[6] damage
    (1d20+11)[26]; (3d8)[11] damage

Realising he can't possibly do anything else today, as he feels very empty, he bids the man a big thank you, pays him and leave again for the flint to spend the rest of the day and some more rest.
    Last edited by Moranica; 2012-12-02 at 11:25 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1573

This time you are much more succesful. Perhaps it is the time spent checking the weaving of the enchantments or simply your determination but in the end all 3 attempts suceed and all that is left is a single (1d2)[1] Sepia snake sigil.

On your way back you see a small crowd gathered around the Town Crier and an animated discussion. The guard presence in the Plaza is also doubled.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-12-02 at 03:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1574
    Troll in the Playground

And that's why I always need to keep a few spare powerpoints. Well, not much I can do about it now.

Scribly heads to some place quiet and changes into a dwarf, before heading to the plaza, to check it out.

15. - Top - End - #1575

The main new entry on the Town Crier is about a new vile shapeshifter criminal. The price on his head is 20000 gold.

From what you hear the people discussing, there was an attack at a guard outpost protecting the Noble Quarter. Four guards, including a sergeant were brutally murdered. Whats worse an innocent bystander was also killed, probably to hide the identity of the killer. and was later found to have been a member of the staff of the Brunsgrove nobility entourage.

The Aldhaven Guard has asked help in their inquirries and put a price on the head of the assassin and it is also rumored that the University will be involved in the investigation.

16. - Top - End - #1576

Spoiler
    Show

Bump for good reason!

17. - Top - End - #1577
    Troll in the Playground

...... poor Mraz...... It was nice knowing you.....

It's strange though, someone must have seen Lady Regira's coach outside. This means I have to speed up my plans, and find out who in the university is involved. It must be someone neutral, or Malakai would have already used his services. I hope this book can help me pursuede them. ..... but first getting some leads.

Scribly adresses someone at the town crier. "I've heard rumors about one of those shapeshifters. They nasty lot. Who should I talk to? Is there a reward for information as well?"

18. - Top - End - #1578

Spoiler
    Show

Hint: The dead diplomat refers to the task master not Mraz...

Off course you can ask "But Mono... how do they know he died?" well... when Malakai did not report in they could safely assume the mission failed and hence both Malakai and the Taskmaster were killed.

The man who is currently... yelling the local news nods.

"Dont know if they need info but I do have 2 names. The first is off course the Guard. Sergeant at arms and acting Commander Schlock might pay for information though the Guard is against bounties... the actual 20k comes from Count Yerman though as the man who died was one of his staff..."

19. - Top - End - #1579
    Troll in the Playground

Mraz lives, the sudden feeling flushing Scribly can mean nothing else. That other could also have been a noble. Yes, that could be it! Them using bounties now is a good sign though. It certainly means they took a heavy blow and are not willing to commit more resources. ... It's time to launch fase 2.

"Thank you"

Scribly heads over to the flint, asking for the same room to rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was actually thinking the communication rings provide them with more info. Guess that's not the plan.

Was Yerman Regira's man?

20. - Top - End - #1580

Spoiler
    Show

Count Yerman is the official representative of Brunsgrove in Aldhaven trying to ensure the alliance continues even if the King dies.

Lady (Duchess) Eleonora Regira is his eldest sister and here to support her brother in his role. She married Duke Regira of Brunsgrove and hence the same family now holds titles of Duke and Count.

Georgi Lirean is the Counts aide and also the man that the taskmaster was serving and calling Command. He had been in Yermans service for years and ensured Eleonora married the Duke. According to the taskmaster he is kind of scientist and has studied the Deepspawns.

Another 5 gold later you have your room again. You sleep and rest and wake up in the morning ready for a bright new day.

21. - Top - End - #1581
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, thanks for the info. I should really start getting my info organised here.

Waking up refreshed again, Scribly uses detect psionics and detect remote viewing, before vigoring (for 15) and dispelling the book once again.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[25]; (3d8)[9]

22. - Top - End - #1582

Quickly and carefully you destroy the last weaves of arcane magic protecting the book.

23. - Top - End - #1583
    Troll in the Playground

At last, Scribly dares open the book, finally ready to find out what he has worked so hard for.

24. - Top - End - #1584

Spoiler
    Show

Out of curiosity... if you were a villain... would you keep all your secrets in a book, left open in your study?

The book is something amazing.

Its an incredibly detailed treatise on negative energy utilised against living organisms. Different ways to employ, different ways to sap the power of life or augment unlife. Descriptions on how enervation can be more beneficial than energy drain due to the less strain on the body of the practisioner despite the apparent weakness.

Experimentation on ray and burst format as well as different techniques are also present in this book.

You have a mixed feeling of success and failure as you realise you have just uncovered Malakais Arcane Thesis. The subject is Enervation.

There is one small detail that might prove useful. The book has a small dedication at the front.

"Strive to explore all that you can in the pursuit of greatness.

With respect to your talent, Georgi and your friends at the Consortium."

25. - Top - End - #1585
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I would, but only if my name was Malakai though. Would the subject be illegal on the university?

I was also wondering, are there any laws on teleportion in the city?

Again you give me something with which I can do so many different things. I'll have to sleep on this one. Most likely either the gnomes or the university.
    Last edited by Moranica; 2012-12-02 at 05:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1586

Spoiler
    Show

No, necromancy as a discipline of magic is not prohibited but it is more... controlled.

What is illegal is the raising and controlling of undead. Creating intelligent undead is a capital crime. Hence since that stuff is... necromantic in nature, necromancy is seen as a dangerous business.

There are no laws against teleportation... off course while teleporting INTO the Fortress or the Nobles Quarter might not be technically illegal, being there without authorisation IS. So really, it comes down to the individual case :D but there is not blanket prohibition.

27. - Top - End - #1587
    Troll in the Playground

Having spent most of the morning on flipping through explanations on the arcane, Scribly feels like his head is about to explode.

The arcane stuff is so vastly different then my psionic abilities, but then again, the outcome is so much alike. This might warrant more investigation.

Scribly heads over to the sewers again, first passing by his old crib. He does so carefully.

28. - Top - End - #1588

The door has been closed but is not locked. Inside you find nothing unchanged. Even the thick pool of blood from killing the taskmaster is there as is the mess created by Malakai when he tried to rob you and collect the body.

There is one thing out of the ordinary. On simple rough paper left on top of your bed you read in Draconic.

"Big boss want to see you. Come."

29. - Top - End - #1589
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming the two other bodies are gone, Scribly heads over to kobold territory.

30. - Top - End - #1590

The two bodies are gone.

On your way through the sewers you are stopped by a team of kobolds.

"You! You come to see big boss. He expects you!" they tell you.