New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Who else thinks Nale will get captured before escaping?

Nale just dimension doored out of trouble, for now.. But he's somewhere around the palace, running around with 1 HP. If someone so much as spits on him he dies.Dimension door has a relatively small range, so if Malack can alert all the guards to patrol the area, Nale will have to be real stealthy to get out alive.

I for one would really welcome this turn of events, as I really believe Nale's punishment is long overdue.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Who else thinks Nale will get captured before escaping?

Sabine looks like a Cliffport Empire of Blood Guard, flies Nale away. Bam, Nale safe again. AUGH MORE NALE THREADS USE DISCUSSION GUYS!!!! /angry
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

First off, where exactly are you getting the "1 hp"? Malack was trying to hit him for a fairly high amount of damage, so he is hardly a stiff wind away from dying. Sure, he's scuffed up enough to have alot of damage, but certainly not that much.

Secondly, you're suggesting that a rogue/sorcerer who favors utility spells to get caught. Not easy for a bunch of NPC peons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Then you'd be George R. R. Martin, I guess, but with a slightly better update schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    It's rare that a thread reaches the proper conclusion in the second post. When it does, everyone else should stop posting on it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He said "Meet me at base" to Sabine, so most likely he dimension doored into his hidehout in the EoB.
    If it was me, I would have a stash of Cure potions or probably a wand if he can cast that (I don't think he can). Sabine can shapeshift at will, and a simple Hat of Disguise, or another potion or scroll (if he doesn't know the spell himself) is enough to do that for Nale.
    Or he has a scroll of teleport for emergencies lying around there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well. If Malack is strong enough, he might be able to cast the 8th Level Cleric Spell Discern Location. That would lead him right to Nale, which not even Vaarsuvius could stop (well, unless he's learnt Mind Blank).

There's a fair chance that Malack could still get him. Not to mention the limited range of Dimension Door (400ft+40ft per caster level).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    Well. If Malack is strong enough, he might be able to cast the 8th Level Cleric Spell Discern Location. That would lead him right to Nale, which not even Vaarsuvius could stop (well, unless he's learnt Mind Blank).

There's a fair chance that Malack could still get him. Not to mention the limited range of Dimension Door (400ft+40ft per caster level).
    Malack is a lizardfolk who therefore gets level adjustement. If he is level 16 then that make him the equivalent of a level 19 character. I find that very unlikely. Also, Malack only believed Nale was dead because Elan said it, if he was able to cast discern location, he would have used it to find him a long time ago.

Now Dimension Door does have a limited range but even if we assume Nale doesnt have a teleport scroll or something in his 'base' Nale is a sorcerer specialized in Illusions...yeah they are not catching him.
    In memory of lord Shojo

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man Graves View Post
    First off, where exactly are you getting the "1 hp"? Malack was trying to hit him for a fairly high amount of damage, so he is hardly a stiff wind away from dying. Sure, he's scuffed up enough to have alot of damage, but certainly not that much.

Secondly, you're suggesting that a rogue/sorcerer who favors utility spells to get caught. Not easy for a bunch of NPC peons.
    Harm does RIDICULOUS damage, but it can't kill someone. It leaves them at 1hp no matter how much more damage it should have done. Nale's woozy "oof, still alive" supports the idea that he got left at 1hp.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Please reformulate:

"Who else thinks Nale will get killed before escaping?"

I subscribe that out of plain hope. Capture before that is possible, but the quicker the better. Epic fight, Nale loses, says some last words, dies.. Priceless.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Nale, as dopey and ineffectual as he is, has infernal backing. He dies, Sabine makes a few calls, Nale comes back. Same thing if he gets captured. No jail on the last continent could hold them no matter how prepared or aware they were of the threat, and I don't expect Tarquin would do any better no matter how much more sinister he could be about it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    Nale, as dopey and ineffectual as he is, has infernal backing. He dies, Sabine makes a few calls, Nale comes back. Same thing if he gets captured. No jail on the last continent could hold them no matter how prepared or aware they were of the threat, and I don't expect Tarquin would do any better no matter how much more sinister he could be about it.
    Unless Nergal eats his soul...
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Good point. Still, the Evil Trio seem to have some degree of influence with Tiamat, so they might cut a deal with Nergal as well if it was all that important to them.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TSED View Post
    Harm does RIDICULOUS damage, but it can't kill someone. It leaves them at 1hp no matter how much more damage it should have done. Nale's woozy "oof, still alive" supports the idea that he got left at 1hp.
    Harm absolutely can kill -- on a failed save.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    Nale isn't dopey and ineffectual. That's Elan, and even that is changing. Aside from that, the Azure City jail WAS doing a good of holding him, until that pesky army of evil showed up. That being said, it is fair to say that Nale is as easy to get rid of as a case of herpes. You may think he's dead, but he has the capacity to come back and bug you later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Then you'd be George R. R. Martin, I guess, but with a slightly better update schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    It's rare that a thread reaches the proper conclusion in the second post. When it does, everyone else should stop posting on it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Well, something involving Nale's gotta happen before he escapes.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    He said "Meet me at base" to Sabine, so most likely he dimension doored into his hidehout in the EoB.
    Only if his base is very nearby - Dimension Door's range is quite limited, a mere 400 feet + 40 feet per level. That may seem like a lot at a glance, but for reference, there are 5,280 feet in a mile. So he can't even travel 1/5 of a mile with that spell.

Quote Originally Posted by TSED View Post
    Not true. It only has that "always leaves 1 hp" clause on a successful save. And if Nale made his save, it's quite possible he has more than 1 hp left, since he would only have taken 75 hp of damage max (and that's assuming he's level 15+, which he very easily may not be, since we haven't seen anything from him that requires him to be more than level 11).

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Or Malak traps his soul...

That would keep him down quite handily, actually, and it is certainly not outside the realm of what a high-level Neutral or Evil cleric would do to someone they truly hated.
    Awesome avatar by Elder Tsofu. Thank you !

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Only if his base is very nearby - Dimension Door's range is quite limited, a mere 400 feet + 40 feet per level. That may seem like a lot at a glance, but for reference, there are 5,280 feet in a mile. So he can't even travel 1/5 of a mile with that spell.
    He might be casting dimension door twice or three times then to get to the hideout if necessary. Or once he's out of immediate danger, uses some illusion spells to hide/disguise himself and get there the old fashioned way.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    He might be casting dimension door twice or three times then to get to the hideout if necessary. Or once he's out of immediate danger, uses some illusion spells to hide/disguise himself and get there the old fashioned way.
    Even if he casts dimension door multiple times, his hideout will have to be well within a mile of where he was for him to actually get there using it. The latter is more likely, but still leaves him open to interception and capture. Remember how genre-savy his father is about those sorts of things, after all - he probably gave directions to the guards of the sort that stopped Elan and Haley from getting into prison on the "surprise inspection" excuse.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

The reason why I said captured and not killed is because despite Malack aiming to kill him on sight, Tarquin and his men will probably want him captured and interrogated before they kill him. He is his son after all.

And yes, illusions,enchantments and stealth are all well and good, but those kinds of things only tend to work when your enemies are unaware of your presence. If Malack raises the alarm before Nale gets the chance to get back to base, the guards will travel in packs so they don't get charmed one by one, and they will have crossbows, so they can one shot Nale from a distance.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm betting on Tarquin killing Nale. It'd be a nice plot movement/resolution point, move the story along, and wrap up this pesky Linear Guild business.

It'd also show nice depth of just how evil Tarquin can be.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nale betrayed Tarquin remember? Killing him wouldn't be an evil act at all.. it would be a neutral act of retribution. I think we've seen enough of his evilness to not need a simple act of entirely justified comeuppance to reinforce it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Not true. It only has that "always leaves 1 hp" clause on a successful save.
    The spell description is ambiguous, but I think most people read it the other way. See this, for evidence.

"Harm" as a spell has been in the game since 1st ed AD&D, and it's always been a way of doing massive damage without killing the victim. That's the whole point of the spell. I think the 3.5 version keeps to that tradition.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    The spell description is ambiguous, but I think most people read it the other way. See this, for evidence.

"Harm" as a spell has been in the game since 1st ed AD&D, and it's always been a way of doing massive damage without killing the victim. That's the whole point of the spell. I think the 3.5 version keeps to that tradition.
    It does not. The "leaves one hp" clause is a part of the sentence spelling out how the spell functions on a successful save. If it applied in all circumstances, it would be a separate sentence.

What it did in past editions is irrelevant, as the 3.5 version was supposed to be a re-balancing of the badly broken 3.0 version.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2011-10-23 at 11:13 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post
    Now Dimension Door does have a limited range but even if we assume Nale doesnt have a teleport scroll or something in his 'base' Nale is a sorcerer specialized in Illusions...yeah they are not catching him.
    Nale's focus is on Enchantment spells, not Illusion. Strip 50

He's had one narrow escape, he won't have another in this arc, unless it's really fourth wall breaking or lampshaded.
    Last edited by JSSheridan; 2011-10-23 at 11:33 AM.
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh right, he doesn't have illusions.I forgot.

Anyway I really hope Malack won't jump into a rant after this and think clear enough to alert all guards of this, given the fact that dimension door couldn't have taken him very far(he's probably on the floor below).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, so I was right about the part where he alerts all the guards. Now let's see just how well Tarquin has prepared his troops for such an event.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm going to have to go with no here. Its probably going to be something weird like Nale making a giant man eating badger look like him with a spell, and then putting him in the middle of the guards, and running away as the slaughter begins.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

personally, i wonder if it wont be that belkar sacrifices himself to kill nale and sabine, and possibly spends his time in the CE afterlife with (presumably) nale, constantly killing him to prevent him being revived, or something
    belars had a worrying amount of character development recently, so i guess he must be nearing showtime

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zegram 33 View Post
    personally, i wonder if it wont be that belkar sacrifices himself to kill nale and sabine, and possibly spends his time in the CE afterlife with (presumably) nale, constantly killing him to prevent him being revived, or something
    belars had a worrying amount of character development recently, so i guess he must be nearing showtime
    Nale is Lawful Evil, remember?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Apparently Tarquin did not teach Malack enough--by telling the guards to catch Nale on-panel and explaining the system to Durkon before it caught anyone, Malack has guaranteed that they will fail to capture Nale.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)