New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Seattle Shadow Blues [IC]

Thick rain showers on to the corporate skyscrapers and local slums alike. From Redmond to Pullayup, the elemental combination of wind and water reassure their dominance over the Seattle skyline. Cold droplets flow and cascade past the irregular rooftops representing architectural innovations of the past 120 years into the steets and alleys below.

There are still a few solid street signs, relics from the pre-wireless past. To the scattered populace, they are mostly ignored in favor of the Augmented Reality pop-ups and RFID tags that assault every metahuman sense simultaneously. To the likes of common corporate wage-slaves, prostitutes, and Lone Star beat cops, this is all that life has to offer.

But you, you are part of something different.

Every city has a nasty underbelly, and Seattle's is probably dirtier than most. You are part of it, that festering tumor that keeps the house of cards from collapsing, the true pawns that the movers and shakers in the skyscrapers employ. You are Shadowrunners.

You are, in fact, a part of a Shadowrunner team. Fresh, new, inexperienced and green to the realities of the life. For one reason or another you were drawn to the Shadows, rejected the SIN that the UCAS government saw fit to tag you with at birth. You created a new identity, one that was going to be tested in the harshest climate imaginable.

You are only initially acquainted through your contact, a low-level Russian Dwarf fixer who goes by the name "Mikhail". You were drawn to him, new runners couldn't hope to play with the big boys fresh out of the gate. The four of you have already worked together on small time runs, but this night promises the start of something new for you.

And it begins with a little blinking blip on your comlink. A message from your Dwarf friend saying: "Heechee's Night Club, Saturday, 7:00 pm"

It is Friday Evening.

Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    You all know each other, and I am assuming have done a small run or two together, you have received a message from Mikhail. I would like your first few posts to be describing where you are and what you are doing on a Friday night in Seattle. If you are together, fine. I would like to see roleplaying, if possible. Post a few times talking to each other, calling each other, etc. Whatever. I will update regularly.
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2012-01-19 at 04:37 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Seattle Shadow Blues [IC]

Thomas Simmons

Thomas blinked, looking at the commlink. Well. He wandered over to the window of his apartment and mentally turned off the sunlit sky the AR was projecting. It was a truly horrible day today...
    He flicked into a commcall to his partners.

"Hello, everyone - have you got the same message I did?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post
    Well, strangely enough a faction with Reputation 0 and history of past betrayals proved itself to be rather untrustworthy. My hat is off for the Mothriders.

Damn, about 29 stats in one swipe. Since I'm clearly the next I'm booby-trapping every inch of the Maze.

3. - Top - End - #3

"Jade" - No current SIN

Friday evening, usually that would mean clubbing, random meaningless flirting that never went anywhere and, in exchange, free beer.
    But not tonight.
    Tonight it means meditation, praying and sacrifice of incense in preparation for summoning a small kami to show a local boy with a bit of magical talent how it is done and for him.
    Personally I think it's a waste, the kids gift isn't nearly great enough that he is going to be able to do it himself - no matter how hard he trains.
    But still Izo called a small favor so Izo gets to decide what's what.
    All of the necessary work has however been done for nearly an hour now and the boy won't be here for another one, so now Friday means boredom and trying to figure out what to do, or at least it did before Mikhail's message and Thomas's call.
    You do know we can't see your message from here, don't you Thommy? You are going to have to repeat it to us if you want an answer.
    Jade answers, her avatar wearing a smirk on his display.

Spoiler
    Show

Nolipse, Fair warning: If you don't pick a shadowname I am going to pick one for you - and it may or may not be one that Thomas is very happy with
    Last edited by vegetalss4; 2012-01-19 at 04:28 PM.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

4. - Top - End - #4

Thomas Simmons

Thomas sighs.
    "A message from Mikhail about a meeting on Saturday. If so, do you want to check out the club before Saturday? If we're meeting a Mr Johnson there, we should probably check it out previously."
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's fine. Incidentally, to everyone, he's Thomas, no last name, unless he's paying the rent or buying civilan things, in which case he's Mark Satoris. In terms of Shadownames, it wouldn't be fair if I picked one - have fun!
    Well, strangely enough a faction with Reputation 0 and history of past betrayals proved itself to be rather untrustworthy. My hat is off for the Mothriders.

Damn, about 29 stats in one swipe. Since I'm clearly the next I'm booby-trapping every inch of the Maze.

5. - Top - End - #5

"Jade" - No current SIN

Yep, I got that message too. Looking the place over definitively sounds like a good idea. I'll say let's go at, say, 10 o'clock, by then the club should be nice and going, well draw less attention that way.
    You wanna meet at the club or do you prefer someplace else?
    In the mean time why don't you try doing a basic search for the place? probably won't learn anything useful, but you never know.

As she speaks Jade types out a short message for Mikhail
    "You or Johnson? if latter identifying feature?"
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

6. - Top - End - #6

Thomas Simmons

"That sounds like a good idea. I'll see you there, I suppose. I've never been very good with the Matrix, unfortunately, so I suspect someone else might be better suited to something like that
    I'll see you there, anyway."

Spoiler
    Show
    Timeskip?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade gets a curt response from Mikhail. "Me"
    In the apartment below her's, Jade can hear that the Ork family that lives below her has started up their favorite Ork Thrash Metal band. The heavy bass shudders the floor slightly.

nolispe
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not right now, still waiting for the others to post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Mithras

Because it was a friday evening Mithras was thinking of going clubbing. The message and call that popped up on his commlink however made that decision for him.

Got a message about a meeting on saturday if thats what your talking about. Although I would like to check the place out first just in case.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Haran

Haran opened his eyes on Friday evening, noting the diagnostic data appearing to the left of his vision. He let the software run through its default setup procedure, then changed the setting to maximum, and suddenly, he could hear. He could hear water flowing through the pipes in the wall. He could hear the wings of the mosquitoes over the stagnant water of the potted plant across the room. Then he heard his commlink buzz. He smiled wryly.

"Hope it's not another milk run," he thought.

He sighed, flexing his knees before rising to his feet, and wobbled slightly before steadying himself on the bed. He signed out and made his way to the waiting room. The emaciated human smiled at the receptionist on his way out, but she pretended not to notice him. He shook his head and drew up his jacket as he stepped out into the rain.

He typed out a brief message into his commlink indicating his intent to attend. Haran said nothing of any intent to survey the meeting point before the appointed time. If any of his colleagues needed any astral recon, they'd ask. After all, it was Friday night, and the latest installment of UltraRunner would be waiting for him when he got home.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2012-01-20 at 08:36 AM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Heechee's is a relatively new club, rumored to be owned by a Russian Mafia group. It opened it's doors in late 2069 and catered to the retro 2040's chic. The staff are dressed as old-school deckers, complete with huge (fake) datajacks sticking out of their heads trailing into thick cables that attach to faux-cyberdecks.

A line stretches out front, pretty lengthy. You observe two bouncers at the gate. One is an Ork in a tailored suit, the other is a beefy Human with cybereyes that glow with a turquoise sheen. They perform their typical duties, turning away the poor and the ugly while letting people on the list skip past the dregs in line.

Your name isn't on the list tonight, so you have to wait in line. After about twenty minutes you approach the two. The human looks you up and down (and two more times for Jade) before speaking in a gravelly voice. "The elf chick gets in free, the rest of you sausage-slingers gotta slot over 50 nuyen."

11. - Top - End - #11

Jade - Hamamoto Takiji

I throw a quick smile to the guards as she walks into the club, then turns her head and smirks to the group.Hurry up boys, don't keep me waiting. Sometimes it's useful to be pretty.
    Once inside I find an almost quiet place, an empty toilet if necessary, and call forth a tiny Kami on the astral plane with a silent prayer. More specifically I call on the least spirit of my left contact lens.
    Spirit, please search this location for magical defenses, and then return to me and await further instructions. I whisper in Japanese.
    Once done, I seek out the bar and wait for the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Summoning a watcher - no more than 3 hours
    hours it serves (9d6)[5][2][1][4][6][4][1][4][5](32) - 3 hour
    resist drain (12d6)[1][4][2][1][5][6][4][3][1][1][4][5](37) - ugh, that actually hurt a little bit.
    Last edited by vegetalss4; 2012-01-20 at 03:44 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

I retrieve my credstick from my pocket and pay the bouncer 50 nuyen before entering the club. Once inside I take a few steps out the way and send a quick message to the group. Okay what do you guys want me to look for?

While i wait for a reply I head to the bar for a quick drink.
    Can I get a synthahol beer?

Spoiler
    Show
    gunna guess thats how buying a synthahol drink would work anyway, also whats this stuff about shadow names?

13. - Top - End - #13

Jade - Hamamoto Takiji

You, know escape routes, signs that it might be an ambush, way you would pull that of if you had to and stuff like that. Jade answers the message.
    Last edited by vegetalss4; 2012-01-21 at 04:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Mithras

Okay I will work on that.

It might be a good idea to have someone check the outside of the building for any nearby ambush points, as well as possible escape routes so I can figure out how to get to them.

I send the first message to Jade and the second will be sent to everyone.

15. - Top - End - #15

Thomas Simmons

Thomas sighs.
    "If I must."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hrumph. I have 8 adjusted Charisma, Jade has 7. I should lodge a complaint with the gender-equality commission.
    Incidetnally, handing over the 50 nuyen, walking inside and meeting up with the others.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Heechee's if packed tonight, and you are completely engrossed with the retro feel of the establishment. You see the usual riffraff trolling around. Men and women of every metatype trying to get a piece of some action for the night. There are three floors. The first is dedicated to the dance floor complete with holo-dj and radical lighting. The second is the bar with plenty of darkly-lit booths. You can't help but wonder how many shadowrunners are striking deals tonight.

The third floor is dedicated to the VIP lounges. Only the elite go up there, but you are sure there are some wild parties going on.

Jade's watcher returns to her, giggling and laughing playfully. "Drunken mages, but no spirits." it giggles more at the unintentional pun. "Two adept rastafarians smoking Deepweed on the third floor."

A bartender slides over a SynthSoy! bottle of beer over to Mithras. "Not a lot of you elves sucking down the cheap stuff..." He comments.

Thomas is approached by a scantily-clad woman, obviously heavily intoxicated. "Hey sugar, wanna show a girl a wiz time?"
    Last edited by TwoBitWriter; 2012-01-24 at 01:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Jade - Hamamoto Takiji

hmm, the mages are probably just guests if they are drinking. Those adepts on the other hand, Jade thinks to herself.

Spirit, where on the third floor did you find the smokers?would they be able to see the stairs from where they was?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"Why would they need stairs?" The spirit says, giggling. "So much more fun to fly. Why do they need walls? It blocks the view of the stairs!"

19. - Top - End - #19

Jade - Hamamoto Takiji

Please answer the question clearly and unambiguously.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The spirit quavers a bit unhappily.

"In a room, with a lot of other folks, but they are the only awakened. They cannot see the stairs. Their room is down a hallway. Can I go now?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Jade - Hamamoto Takiji

Thank you for your help. You have performed well, as a reward I shall clean your home with the good oil tonight.
    You may either go look for entertaining sights or return to your home as you wish.

Jade says sending the spirit a grateful smile.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Mithras

Mithras takes his drink and pay for it using the credstick. He then says to the bartender.
    Yeah I can mostly only afford the cheap stuff but I still get drunk whatever it is I drink.

After he has his drink he looks around the bar as if looking for someone, while actually noting any security systems or possible escape routes that bear further investigation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will I need to make a roll for that?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The watcher spirit giggles playfully and disappates.

Mithras spots several windows on each level of the club. There also appears to be a single fire escape stair on the East outside wall of the club with a single exit door on each floor. It can be assumed that there is a door leading to a side alley in the kitchen used for deliveries.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

When Gaston gets the message from Mikhail, it doesn't arrive at the best of times.

"Ah, slag..." the Ork grumbles, placing his commlink back into his jacket. Gaston was clad in his usual street garb: t-shirt, jeans, boots, blue bandanna, black lined coat, and a pair of alligator tooth earrings. The gator teeth matched his protruding tusks, and they were also the only obvious sign of his Cajun heritage. The Ork had learned how to obscure his accent years ago, and could easily switch from eloquent English to Cajun French with ease.

Unfortunately, Gaston couldn't respond right now, as he was hanging off the ledge of a window on the third floor of an apartment building. A few window-sills over, a fluffy cat was sleeping idly in the sun. And thirty feet down, a little Elven girl with wide, terrified eyes looked on as he attempted to rescue her kitten.

"Slag, slag, slag..." the Paladin grumbled under his breath as he gingerly inched along the side of the building.

---

A few hours and cat scratches later, Gaston approaches the bar where the rest of the team is currently scouting. He's still clad in his street clothes, and is lightly armed as is his custom. His Ares Predator is holstered behind the small of his back, both his sleeves have snap-blades concealed within them, and his survival knife is hidden on the side of his right shin.

Approaching the two bouncers at the door, he nods respectfully to them. "Evening," he greets the human, before turning to the Ork. "Nuraka," he gutturally growls, telling him the same thing in the traditional Orken tongue.

Spoiler
    Show

Hoping the Ork will be nice and let me in for free.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Gaston is able to get in for free, after a few careful nudges from the Ork bouncer to the human one.

However, his stay is short-lived, as most of his crew is already leaving by the time he gets there...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Saturday Evening

You return to Heechee's. This time you discover that you ARE on the list and are allowed inside without a further complaint.

The club is even busier tonight than last night, and the music is deafening. A message pops up in your commlinks. "Third floor, Room C"

You head up to the third floor and quickly find the third room to the right of the stairs. You knock politely and the door opens. Inside you see Mikhail, sporting a new mohawk, eating greasy fried chicken with his bare hands. From the smell you can tell it's real chicken, at the least. He is flanked by two men, his same escorts you have seen at every meeting with the Dwarf.

He smiles broadly when he sees you and raises a ring-encrusted hand to gesture for you to enter. "Is good to see you, friends. Mikhail gives you good business, yes? Please order drinks and food while we speak, is on me."

26. - Top - End - #26

Thomas Simmons

"It is good to see you as well. Is Mr Johnston planning to turn up here?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Gaston

The hulking Ork places himself near the front of the group. While not directly involved in negotiations or interaction, he wants his presence to be seen and recognized. And being in front means that if - God forbid - he needs to start stabbing up the place, he won't have a bunch of allies in the way. "Evening, Mikhail," he nods stoically to the dwarf. His eyebrow arches slightly at the chicken on the fixer's plate. So Mikhail likes fried chicken... interesting. That knowledge could come in handy.

The Ork doesn't order anything to eat or drink. He's not trying to be rude or anything, its just his style. He doesn't want to hurt Mikhail's wallet too badly, and he also doesn't want to be caught in a bad situation with a hunk of barbecue sticking out of his mouth. Plus, there's no telling who would have access to their food or drink before it actually got up to them. In the world of shadowrunning, a suspicious mind kept a body healthy... generally.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Mikhail gestures you to enter more hurriedly. Once you do the door slides shut automatically behind you.

He looks you over and smiles. "I am Mr. Johnson today. I have personal favor to ask you. You do this, and I reward you. I also double reward you because my own influence will increase greatly."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Haran

Haran sits down at the table and orders some chicken wings for himself. It wasn't every day you got to eat authentic meat, rather than flavored nutrisoy.

"Great deal, everybody wins," he says. Haran attempts to act casual by leaning on the table, but fails miserably as his elbow slips.

"What's the catch?" he asks.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Mikhail scowls at Haran. "I would think that you trust me more. Entire operation depends on trust. Have I not paid well in past?"