New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iskandar's Travels in Minecraft: The LP and the MP Server Thread MKII

'Human foibles' is a good answer. He didn't need to fire it twice, so he didn't bother designing a way to make it fire twice. If it hadn't exploded, he'd have been happy with still having it around, but the laser's survival wasn't as important to him as its firing.

As to why he didn't just pull all three and run for it...

It was powered by redstone, magic, alchemy, and duct tape, cobbled together out of crap he had kicking about and things he built specifically for it. It's not the most efficient thing. You saw how the lights flickered when they powered up? The laser needed time to warm up, get all its systems running. If he'd tried to fire it right away, it probably wouldn't have worked.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-02-01 at 05:18 PM.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #812
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Iskandar's Travels in Minecraft: The LP and the MP Server Thread MKII

In comment to your climax, show don't tell. Aside from that, I though the editing to the sound effect was quite nice, would it not have been possible to nuke the tower as an ending instead of face to back?

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed. Lack of assplosion aside, though, very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Major Domo, seeing as you currently possess all of the street lighting materials (and the method, which looks simple but I do not want to attempt), we are in need of your services down in Theater Row.

Firstly, the street level on the west side of the Hapsburg rail line must be raised by one meter (including the lamps) in order to line up with the theater itself. I have already begun this process, but will need help with the lanterns.

Second, several expansions on the road are being made in that area (specifically around the theater and to the Ministry of Transportation), so we will need those to be installed.

Thanks so much,

3SC, Custodian and Chief Recon Officer
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-02-01 at 10:52 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

(ooc)If your expanding roads, feel free to make some into the swamp, just leave my house and storage hut intact, along with the exposed beach made of ore near it, which is site I was excavating.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    In comment to your climax, show don't tell. Aside from that, I though the editing to the sound effect was quite nice, would it not have been possible to nuke the tower as an ending instead of face to back?
    Yeah, that's a problem of mine, aggravated by the fact that it's really hard to do with Minecraft. I can't just put gauges and stuff in. As for nuking the tower...

when was the last time you stood too close to a nuke?

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Yeah, that's a problem of mine, aggravated by the fact that it's really hard to do with Minecraft. I can't just put gauges and stuff in. As for nuking the tower...

December 28th, on an SSP world. I survived (barely).

In a somewhat unrelated note, Domo, would it be possible to release a new map of the server soon?
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think if you press f5, you can switch to a third person view. F5 in particular switches the camera to behind you, but there's a function button that switches the camera to look behind you. The audience can see the nuke explosion, there's no landscape to get in the way of Destro the character's panicked flight (cause he's using a jetpack) and you can still do that thing with cutting to black with the damage noise. Win-win.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Huh, i didn't. Wasn't even aware that you still wanted things ported, given your current position.
    Had a thought today, regarding this. I originally picked Frozen Islands largely because it was where I had stashed all my lewtz. Given my current position, those aren't necessary. However... Would it be possible to get the Library ported in instead? It's probably the most visually impressive thing I've built legit, and I'd really like to have it along. In Spawn Town, or something. I think there's a nice big field near the Ministry of Transport...

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

furious Re: Iskandar's Travels in Minecraft: The LP and the MP Server Thread MKII

So what happened to my teleport cave?!, It seems to have been destroyed and replaced by streetlamps.
    Just logged on, and was rather pissed off that it was destroyed(as far as i can tell, it was destroyed).
    edit; wow, the street lights dont even work well I was attacked by a zombie(and ran as I was on my laptop, withiut a mouse), and a creeper(which blew up part of zain's house and one of his chests[which I placed back down again, except for the items which I couldn't fit back in(I was able to replace all but 5 items, which I currently have in my inventory).

Sorry if my response was a little extreme, but I felt tnting your mountain, domo, was the best way to make a point about how it feels to have something you worked on destroyed without anyone mentioning it to you.(dont worry I avoided the chests)
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-02-03 at 08:32 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, those street lights really don't work too well, guys. Perhaps we should go back to good old fashioned glowstone ones.
    As for your teleport hall, I think that 3Sec used his position as envoy to the transport ministry to override it.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, so it was 3sec not domo?, darn, I already deloyed tnt.

It just really annoyed me to be gone for a few days and see the server change from monster filled wilderness to a semi lit city and to have my cave destroyed.

edit; I have calmed down now and regained my logic, I am willing to help repair the mountain(unless it was domo who decied to destroy my cave without telling me first) however, I refuse to repair the npc house that was built in top of where my cave was.

I wouldn't be this angry if I had at least gotten a chance to move my teleporters to a diffrent cave, I still would have been annoyed, but not to the point of blowing up parts of spawn in fury.
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-02-03 at 09:22 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ettin in the Playground

2 items of note:

a) All damage done by Togath/Arcanamage has been rolled back.

b) Togath/Arcanamage, you are banned from the server.

Personal note: I like how you did the first rational thing and instead of asking someone (anyone, really.) blew sh*t up.

DM, those streetlights will need some tweaking, swanky as they are. I suspect we'll either hook them up to the power grid once that is fully set up and ready or just leave 'em powered by 3 solar panels, which seems to work fairly well, but can be prone to prolonged rain. (and of course we'll need to deploy more of them to fully light spawn town up. I think they've got a range of one more than torches. And they burn the undead when they get close.)
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2012-02-03 at 09:31 AM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

Darn(to the being banned thing).

and Neat(to the thing about luminators burning undead, I may try using them for that sometime in ssp or if I end up on another smp server with industrialcraft)
    Meow(Steam page)

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DreamingMage View Post
    Yeah, those street lights really don't work too well, guys. Perhaps we should go back to good old fashioned glowstone ones.
    As for your teleport hall, I think that 3Sec used his position as envoy to the transport ministry to override it.
    Please do not tell stories when you have been sick, and do not have all of your facts straight. I did nothing to Arcana's caves myself.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    DM, those streetlights will need some tweaking, swanky as they are. I suspect we'll either hook them up to the power grid once that is fully set up and ready or just leave 'em powered by 3 solar panels, which seems to work fairly well, but can be prone to prolonged rain. (and of course we'll need to deploy more of them to fully light spawn town up. I think they've got a range of one more than torches. And they burn the undead when they get close.)
    Hmm. I wonder if there's a way to do both. Hook them to the grid as a backup if their solar power falls victim to excess rain? Might be worth looking into.

Also, a new development. This was found stapled to the bulletin board in the town hall:

Tired of hunting sheep? Need wool fast? Annoying to collect in quantity, but easy to compact and gate in for relatively small amounts of energy, wool is the first trade good to be featured in YersulCorp's new initiative: Automatic vending!

For the modest sum of 8 iron ingots, the Trade-O-Mat newly installed in the lobby of the YersulCorp branch office will sell you 16 blocks of uncoloured wool, perfect for dying and use in any number of potential projects! But wait, there's more.

YersulCorp is also offering pre-coloured wool, gated in to order while you wait! Our procedure is fast and efficient, guaranteed to get you the materials you need with a minimum of fuss. Unfortunately, due to the situation back home, our products are only available in limited quantities. They're going fast, so act now to ensure YOU get the materials YOU need.

YersulCorp: Building a Better Tomorrow, One Block at a Time.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-02-03 at 11:09 AM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

One might also note the abundance of spider dungeons around. Perhaps we could get some working as grinders for wool production?
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

18. - Top - End - #828

In regards to the street lights, I've been renovating the reactor to power the things properly, if anyone wants to comment on the design, This is the design I was thinking of, and at 70EU/tick, should be plenty for the street lights.

Hmm. I wonder if there's a way to do both. Hook them to the grid as a backup if their solar power falls victim to excess rain? Might be worth looking into.
    Some sort of mixed system (with the reactor kicking in only in the rain) will mist likely be obtained by just hooking up the batboxs to the power grid, leaving the solar panels to maintain the charge used by the luminators.
    Last edited by Zain; 2012-02-03 at 01:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zain View Post
    Some sort of mixed system (with the reactor kicking in only in the rain) will mist likely be obtained by just hooking up the batboxs to the power grid, leaving the solar panels to maintain the charge used by the luminators.
    except that, at night, it would ALSO kick on to maintain the charge, which isn't what we want. I was thinking it might be possible to rig something up with detector cable and secondary batboxes, perhaps. Shame we don't have Redpower, really. Redstone lamps are a lot easier to keep powered. Although...

I wonder about Lightsensor. That could solve the problem easily. No idea if it works in SMP, though.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-02-03 at 04:04 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't forget that the lamp posts also need to be as compact as possible. Complex sensory might not be the best idea for this. (Unless we can somehow centralise it near the reactor and have the power line switch on from there.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

That might be a plan. Have a special streetlight power grid, and build a sensor array near the reactor to switch the whole thing on if the power supply in the batboxes fails. that would have been the idea with LightSensor, too. Though I think Lightsensor would be a little more accurate in terms of when to switch on, we have to make do with what we have.
    Last edited by Destro_Yersul; 2012-02-03 at 04:24 PM.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

22. - Top - End - #832
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm not sure if the Trade-o-mat is working or how to use it. I put my 8 ingots of iron in and nothing shows in the withdraw window. Has anybody tested to ensure it functions properly?

**Update**
    It does indeed work, as the customer you need to place your 8 iron bars in the top slot of the trade-o-mat, not the bottom.
    Last edited by Detrepid; 2012-02-03 at 05:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

Sorted, I think. If, at any time, you can't get the trade-o-mat to work, try putting iron in both slots to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, it's probably out of stock at the moment and you should check back later.

In other news, the Ender Dragon egg appears to no longer be on its pedestal. Someone should fix that.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

An attack of some sort? Alien covert ops? Let's get on it, people! Recon, see if you can find it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

update on the egg: Someone has fixed that.

Someone being me.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

26. - Top - End - #836

That might be a plan. Have a special streetlight power grid, and build a sensor array near the reactor to switch the whole thing on if the power supply in the batboxes fails. that would have been the idea with LightSensor, too. Though I think Lightsensor would be a little more accurate in terms of when to switch on, we have to make do with what we have.
    Using IC, I can rig up a daylight sensor that would turn the reactor on whenever the solar panels are not working.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Destro, could it be possible to move/expand your fountain into a full fledged park behind the theater? My reasons for asking are twofold.

Firstly, a couple of us are of the agreement that a larger park would really ameliorate the spawn decor, and currently you aren't getting the space you deserve for it.

Secondly, I am in the process of developing the next generation of NPC housing: a luxury hotel on the server. With that in mind, I have been scouring the spawn area for a suitable location. I have been busy terraforming that area, and it so happens that the removal of your fountain would free up the additional space required for optimal building.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, as 3Sec mentioned earlier, a map would be nice...? Pleeeze?
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

Hey Destro, could it be possible to move/expand your fountain into a full fledged park behind the theater? My reasons for asking are twofold.

Firstly, a couple of us are of the agreement that a larger park would really ameliorate the spawn decor, and currently you aren't getting the space you deserve for it.

Secondly, I am in the process of developing the next generation of NPC housing: a luxury hotel on the server. With that in mind, I have been scouring the spawn area for a suitable location. I have been busy terraforming that area, and it so happens that the removal of your fountain would free up the additional space required for optimal building.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Sure, I'll move it. Behind the theatre, you say? I can set up a park of some sort over there, yeah. If your house hasn't been started yet, I'll try and make sure there's enough space for it, too.

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

A quick question, is my ban a temporary ban(a few weeks to a few months) or a permanent ban?
    Also should I stop posting in this thread now that I'm banned from the server?
    Meow(Steam page)