New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Path of Least Resistance (Group 1 IC)

Karo

Karo's brow crinkles. As far as I can remember, its always been the same nightmare repeating over and over. When I awoke bathed in sweat on the night the mark manifested, there was light, and searing pain down my arms and across my chest, but that was all I remember before losing consiousness again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Tannop

"I'm afraid it was much the same for me. It all started around the time of the eclipse last month... and two weeks later, this strange new mark appeared amidst a painful fevered dream." Tannop shrugged, unsure how else he might add to the conversation of the new marks. "My true dragonmark was not immediately apparent, actually - I lived for some 20 years before it manifested, following the Day of Mourning. It struck me as a very strange coincidence, but however much I tried to dwell on it, I just realized that there wasn't anyone with a good answer for what had happened that day. I realized how singular my story was, to be able to walk out of Cyre that day, one of only a handful I now realize."
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ashe

Ashe bowed herself in introduction, then stood and watched as Endymion and Kashan talked easily with Baerdan and with each other. Clearly they all knew one another well; still, the easy intimacy between them took her aback at first. Finally, she smiled and spoke:

Clearly you have the advantage of me, gentlemen. Or has our fame spread so far already that we need no introduction? Her voice was like warm honey, and her tone was gently teasing.

Thirteen days, I think. She frowned, the smile gone from her lips. I fear I, at least, have more questions than answers. She looked again at Tannop and Karo, wondering at the strange fate that had thrown them together.

I fainted, at the solar eclipse, and after that I was ill for thirteen days. I was so, so tired, and could hardly stay awake, and my dreams were vivid and wild. We thought it was just a seasonal chill, but it started to worry my husband. I woke, was racked by pain, and saw the mark appear.

She nodded at Tannop. Not completely singular, as I too now know. I thought that the memories were coming back, at last. Yet, no. It took me a long time to remember anything that happened before Mourning, at all. The Day itself is still a blur.

It is almost 30 years since my House mark first burned its own way onto my skin. In that time I have killed men in war, lost my country, lost my name, and, when at last I could recall it, come to see my house brought low. I have loved and borne children and watched them grow into adults. And still I cannot remember that day and I am coming to believe that until I can I will not be free of nightmares or see my children safe.

She realised that she was pacing back and forth, and stopped, abruptly, and faced the pair. A slight blush coloured her cheeks and there was a fire in her eyes, and her diction had turned high and Cyrean; she might be a slight, yet-young and almost fragile woman, but something steely in her voice spoke of an officer who might suddenly bark "get down and give me twenty".

Gentlemen, it is a pleasure and a honour to meet you, and I hope that we might work closely and well together to good end, but if you do not have answers for us, only more questions, then I fear that we will have to swiftly part until I- we can hunt down those who do.

She took a long breath out, feeling strangely cleansed. If that is not the case, Lords Paladin, I would be grateful indeed if you might share a little of your own experiences with us. Were you both in Cyre on the Day of Mourning? Do you know anything of why you, Ser Endymion, were linked with Jaela, and perhaps the Flame? What do the shapes of our marks mean? Would that I could recall in all this tumult if yours, referring to Endymion, had itself some connection with the Flame, but I fear that it has slipped my mind.
    Last edited by RavenGirl; 2011-11-14 at 07:10 PM. Reason: capitalisation
    In all their rule and strictest tie of their order there was but this one clause to be observed,

Do What Thou Wilt;

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

For the first time since his father sent him out to war, Endymion felt put in his place. "I see." He says to Ashe in a flat tone, clearly shunted from his pedestal, a scowl evident on his face.

"Thank you for sharing your experiences." Kashan speaks up, shooting a swift, sharp glare at Endymion for his childish reaction. "We have been kept away from normality for a long time—evidently too long."

Baerdren strides around his office, collecting various stacks of paper and checking various rolled maps to find the correct one.

"Indeed. I must apologise." Endymion sighs. "It is almost four years now since I had to answer to anyone but myself and my own consequences, of which there have been few. It has been a rough time keeping ourselves out of the public view. Although being the embodiment of a social faux pas was Kashan’s job to begin with, so he has seen little to no change." As much as you would expect a grin from Endymion, the air of jocundity has faded.

"I’m also no servant of the Templars. No Paladin." Kashan grunts, a clear distain for the order, but no sign of disagreement with Endymion’s statement. Baerdren also doesn’t stir from either comment, keeping about his business sorting out paperwork. "I am here for the Lady Keeper, not the Church."

"As for your questions, however, I will answer to the best of my ability." Endymion takes a seat, removing the gauntlets of his armour and runs both hands back through his hair. "Yes, we were both in Cyre on the Day of Mourning; I was fighting with the Thranish militants, and Kashan was there fighting for the Brelish forces—an alternative to a prison sentence for a multitude of petty crimes."

Kashan grins at the mention of his ordeal, and steps forward to complete his side of the story, interrupting Endymion's recount of his history. "My tale is shorter than his, so I shall start first."

"It was true. I was a scoundrel. I was sent to war—voluntarily—as a way for Breland to gain disposable troops and not having to deal with new prisoners during the time of conflict. When the fateful day stripped the lives of the scouting party I was travelling with, my world went black. I found myself walking on a plane of complete darkness, surrounded by formless, black creatures with hollowed eyes that snarled and snapped at me; but they feared me. When I came back to myself I was wandering around a newly formed glass precipice in the Mournland, my legs carrying me in a direction I didn’t know. I haven’t aged since."

"As for when my mark manifested? Well..." It’s only now that you realise that Kashan is only wearing clothing akin to a man of monastic training; no visible weapon, fists and feet bound tightly with straps of weathered dragon hide. Kashan loosens the top half of his robes and they slip down his shoulders when he turns his back to you. Across the entirety of his back spread angry scars, drawing your eyes along their brutal patterns, converging into large wolf paw prints that stretch across his shoulder blades; still more of scars than clear marks.

The longer you stare—you simply can’t help yourself—you soon realise that they flicker with a silvery sheen, shimmering in the light. "It happened five years ago. They spread across my entire body, yet..." He pauses for a moment, his voice deepening. "I do not remember how they manifested. I was unconscious at the time, and when I woke I was in the care of Jaela herself. She refused others from tending to the wounds that became my mark. I do not yet know what her intentions were, but she declared that I would be of her care and the concern of no one else. I swore my fealty to her on that day."

Kashan pulls up his robe and rearranges them to look more acceptable, a visible shiver crossing his shoulders as he does so. "The mark seems to grant me some ability the more I learn to accept myself." He says with a disgruntled tone, not altogether pleased with having to part with the information. "The rest is history."

Nodding to Kashan and watching him walk cross the room and take a seat, Endymion gives a slight smile and lets his voice return with more of a friendly quality. "My experience on the Day of Mourning was strange. I remember things, but I feel like there are still more puzzle pieces missing than present. I felt as though something—not something, someone—was trying to tear my very soul from my body and claim it for their own. It’s not clear to me how exactly I managed to survive, but I vividly remember a sensation of floating outside of my body, watching myself cry out in agony and watch the life drain from my eyes, but feeling none of it."

He shrugs. "I came to the conclusion that perhaps my soul was saved from that fate for some higher purpose, but saying that is hardly modest of me. I have no doubt that my soul was displaced from my mortal body at that point in time. What possibly caused that though, I have no clue."

Having finished his preparations, Baerdren takes his seat and smiles to Endymion, playing his collected papers into three identical piles. "He stumbled out of the Mournland two weeks after the Day of Mourning and arrived at Arythawn Keep, where I was visiting family at the time to check on their wellbeing. The Keep had seen many refugees with no homes to return to, remaining relatively peaceful. But Endymion strolled in possessed with an overwhelming aura of anger and violence. He started a brawl with many innocent people who refused to give in to his demands for food, and it was my duty to subdue him. Had I realised who he was at the time, I would have beaten more sense into him than I already had."

Unable to stop himself from blushing, once again Endymion is knocked down a peg. "I would frequently pass out and start mumbling random words that never seemed to make much sense. Baerdren was still there, a close associate of my father—who unfortunately passed not too long ago—and when I regained consciousness and my mind was clear of the hatred I was consumed by, I recognised Baerdren’s name."

"I hounded Baerdren until he brought me here to Flamekeep." The embarrassment of him doing that is evident as his voice trails off before picking back up again. "It was upon my arrival that it became apparent what my seizures truly were. My mumbles turned more coherent and, I later found out, to be the same words as Jaela channelling the voice of the Flame. I felt like my entire body was on fire and I was unconscious for four days afterwards not knowing what happened. This was unlike anything before, as previously I was always completely functional as soon as my blackouts ended, but still with no memory of the ordeal."

Endymion holds out his hands, resting them on the table in front of you. His eyes close and his expression becomes serene, and streaks of metallic silver flow through his hair, down his neck and under his armour. Opening his eyes reveals burning white irises of an intensity that takes your breath away, and he looks down to his fingertips—your own eyes have no choice but to follow. Enveloping his hands are ethereal draconic claws, shimmering with non-existent heat as the magic ebbs from their tips.

"I feel myself channelling the flame itself like this." Sounding eerily distant, his voice continues to be soft but it fills the room without much effort. "I do not have training, or the arcane inclination to be able to do this, yet my mark enables me to. If I wasn’t wearing my armour you would see my entire body glow like a candle, and draconic words of power appear incorporated into patterns that cover my skin." Endymion releases his concentration. The magic dissipates into the air surrounding you all; tiny hairs stand up at the back of your necks, and the power itself feels familiar and strangely comforting. Endymion’s eyes are now back to normal but he seems to be looking through you rather than meeting your gaze.

"Your marks are different, I have seen the portraits." Kashan speaks as Endymion regains his composure, purposely shifting the attention back to you. "I believe they are representative of our existence. Who we are, what we are, or what we are to become. When both of us found out more about ourselves, we gained more power from our marks, much like a regular Dragonmark. Perhaps it is the same for you."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Karo

Karo looks to Kashan a moment, blinking. I thought the Silver Flame despised your kind? Slaughtered them genocidally with no regard to creed or allegience?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Tannop

Looking at Endymion, he can see why Jaela might not have drawn a corresponding mark for him. The milky glow surrounding him was fascinating. Kashan's were likewise widespread and the eye hardly knew where to begin tracing their lines to take it in.

Addressing Baerdren, Tannop asked, "Milord, Jaela indicated that you had more of the practical side of matters to relay to us. Transport, contacts on the fortress, specifics on the targets of our message, and so forth." He found it odd in a moment's thought that he had switched to referring to Jaela familiarly already, and still not the paladin. Perhaps since his preferred name was indicated in a request, and hers felt more like a command. Anything coming from the Keeper has a certain weight to it, however friendly the delivery. "What can you tell us about how we are moving forward, and how your two associates may be able to benefit our mission here?"
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

"The lycanthropic purge ended before you were even born, so you grew up in an age where the Silver Flame feels shame and remorse for their barbaric actions, and you still cannot discern the difference between a were and a shifter?" The shifter is visibly agitated by the question, and his voice rumbles with a discontent growl. "If you would like to try and purge—"

"Kashan!" Endymion slams his fists onto the table and stands, the room falling silent from his sheer commanding presence. By the look on Baerdren’s face you’d suspect that the level of outburst is not normal and takes him by surprise. "This is hardly the time for such petty arguments. He wouldn’t be the first person to be misinformed, and you wouldn’t be the first shifter to be mistaken as a lycanthrope." He takes a deep breath and eventually calms himself, flashing a fake smile to Kashan. "You do look horribly feral when you’re pissed, it wouldn’t be so far-fetched to assume."

"Quite." Kashan meets Endymion’s stare, matching him in the dominance game.

"While these two battle their egos, I shall explain to you what is going on." Baedren sighs, clearly tired of dealing with similar situations.

"We have had an informant on the Argonth for some time under a treaty agreement with Breland, so if anything threatens their borders we would also be informed. We also sent further agents to keep an eye on things given the situation. Kashan received word today that our informant went missing after giving us the update regarding the recent marks on the two people there. I did not tell Jaela this as she worries enough about your safety as it is. If I told her that we suspect people manifesting these marks are being targeted, she wouldn’t let you go."

"I’m sure you’re wondering—having being told of this danger—why I still seem to be risking your lives. I see it as quite the contrary, in fact. I believe that you all have considerable experience within your field, and you have the added bonus of foresight. I highly doubt that a group of three powerful people such as yourselves would become victims, whereas anyone else we could send to retrieve these individuals are more likely to fall prey to these predators."

It’s now that Baerdren hands each of you a small stack of papers. Flicking through them briefly you catch a glimpse of a map noting the patrol route of the fortress, detailed information regarding the residential quarter and a sealed envelope that likely contains your fabricated reason for being allowed to step foot on the Argonth to begin with. "Those should contain all the information that you will need about the Argonth. Also the information about the people you are to contact."

"I would suggest making the journey by using our own magebred horses along the main transport routes and roads. If you leave within the next three days, a two-week ride would meet the Argonth as it stops in Kennrun in eastern Breland. However if you really must insist using the lightning rail or a privately chartered airship, we will not be able to provide any funding for your transport. I can understand how horseback may be beneath some of you, but I cannot currently explain why I stress to use such a transport method." Not being able to tell you the full extent of the situation disturbs Baerdren, and it shows with his frustrated facial expressions.

"Kashan and I will follow a day behind you. We have business of our own to attend to but we will always be watching to make sure you are safe." Endymion smiles, but it seems as false as the smile he gave to Kashan earlier. "It all sounds very ambiguous, and we’re sorry, but until we find out more information we’re unsure of what is going on."

"If I swear on my oath as Paladin, Grand Master and High Cardinal that you shall be safe on this mission, and informed the moment we understand what is happening, would that ease your suspicion?" Baerdren then hands each of you a signet ring. It looks identical to the rings worn by both Endymion and Kashan.

"And these," Kashan says, "will allow you to communicate with Endymion and myself once you reach the Argonth and we reach our destination. To further steady your mind." He makes a crude gesture to speak into the ring without actually doing so, evidently unaware of how condescending it makes him seem.

"Is there any other information you require?" The swift brief comes to a halt with all attention drawn to you. "I’ve not given a mission briefing in some time and I’m bound to have missed something."

All pertaining information (including maps that I am in the process of creating) that Baerdren has handed to you about the Argonth will be included in the OOC thread tomorrow at the latest. This includes names, descriptions and perhaps even some sketches of the people involved if I'm feeling generous enough to draw some out

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Karo

Karo bows deeply. I did not mean to wound or offend. I was just surprised.

If that is all, I think it is wise that we take our leave. I must ensure that my horse is groomed and fed tonight, and I'm not sure if I trust the lad I left him with to perform the task to a satisfactory result.
    Karo looks to the other two. Meet me at the west gate at an hour past dawn?
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2011-11-22 at 12:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ashe

Slightly overwhelmed by so much information, Ashe, clearly fascinated starts forward at both men's manifesting marks, managing to restrain herself from moving any further towards touching them. At last she speaks, addressing both Kashan and Endymion:

I thank you for sharing so much of your stories, in relation to these marks. It seems they are an individual thing, almost... painfully so. I admit to feeling somewhat uncomfortable that all here have seen Jaela's picture of my mark, when I do not yet know what it means. She looks at her two companions. Well, we shall find out together.

As the pair again amicably squabble, she raises her eyebrows and watches. She nods at Baerdren's information. At the close she sighs.

It is not that riding is beneath me, ser Baerden, though I confess that I am a terrible rider and the experience will not be a happy one. It is the time that this will take: two weeks is a long time indeed, with dreams every night and something dark moving underneath us all to trouble the world. She seems quite as frustrated as Baerdren at the whole situation. I thank you for your oath. It eases my mind somewhat. Still. Her eyes flick to Endymion's. This has the feel of a trap, with us being driven before you as the beaters, or perhaps the hounds. What might we disturb? If we are safe, then, begging your pardon, why is Seneschal Ofejjaia now dead?

Ashe bites her lip, then consciously calms herself, tension draining from her face. What plans if something goes drastically wrong? We speak into the rings, and you come sweeping down like angels to save the day? Can we expect aid in a crisis, or not? And how do we get back, assuming we are intact and, perhaps, have the two others with us? I understand if you cannot answer, but it is best to have these things spelled out in advance, if we can.

She nods at Karo. An hour past dawn, then. I have business in the city tonight.

Ashe addresses Baerdren:Though one thing, before I take my leave. I left my home in rather a rush and, she smiles slightly, given that we will be on the road for some time, I would be grateful if I could borrow a clutch of books from the church - reference books, should we encounter the unexpected, and to take my mind from the length of the road. If such cannot be spared, it would be kind if you could direct me to somewhere I might buy some.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: She's angling for books good enough to act as masterwork tools for her knowledge skills. She's also genuinely worried about being bored senseless on the road... though that's probably the least of our worries.
    In all their rule and strictest tie of their order there was but this one clause to be observed,

Do What Thou Wilt;

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

"You may as well tell them now Baerdren." Kashan starts to speak, his voice flat. "They're not like your Templars who will go out on a mission for this church without question, doing what needs to be done. They're looking for answers, "

You think you hear Baerdren curse under his breath, but the look in his eyes carries a shred of guilt. "He's right," he says, dispassionately, "but there are only a few things I can tell you."

"Though not because he doesn't want to, it's because he doesn't know." Endymion feels the need to stand by Baerdren, but notices that his words are both out of line and not needed. He silences himself without needing Baerdren to say anything but the silent words of a glance.

"As for a trap?" He sighs again, resting his head in his hands for a moment before looking back up at you. "I get that feeling also, and it most likely is, but we're not sending you in intentionally just to trigger it. You're not expendable, not by any means, but you're still the best suited for the job."

It's only now that you realise that the heavy oaken table in the room has a detailed map carved into it's surface; the entirety of Khorvaire has been painstakingly etched, even more detailed than the map you have been given. Running his finger over the route you're likely to be taking by horse, Baerdren smiles. "As for the journey, it was intentional to take so long. We have very little information about the Argonth and the current situation, as Breland have decided to be so tight-lipped. So we shall continue investigation as you travel. You will be easily reachable on the road—hence taking the direct route—with new information when we get it. It's another precaution that Kashan came up with."

"Some call it paranoia; I call it being prepared." Kashan grins, showing his pearly white fangs in the process. "I shall inform you of the situation that lead to my decision once you are outside of the Flamekeep boundries, but for now I would ask that you're satisfied with knowing that being seen to rush off to Breland should anything bad happen would also be a terrible idea. If you leave by horse it won't seem strange to those who may be watching, and it's doubtful that they would follow you for an entire two weeks unnoticed to see where you were going. When you step foot on main roads, there are a multitude of possibilities regarding your destination."

"Spies and informants are usually hired from an outside source that doesn't ask questions, and they're inherently lazy. They won't do more work than they have to for their coin, and just reporting that you left Flamekeep on horseback would tick all the boxes." He finishes, a look of satisfaction across his expression.

"Assuming you're being watched and followed to begin with." Endymion smiles, giving his head a nod to Kashan. "Hence the paranoia."

"Although in this case I would be likely to agree with Kashan, and also believe that they wouldn't follow you past two days travel at most." Baerdren falls silent. It's clear that one question that Ashe proposed in particular is weighing on his mind as he fingers the holy symbol hanging around his neck. "As for Ofejjaia..." He trails off, hoping that Endymion picks up on his hesitation to speak, and he does.

"Lady Ofejjaia was found hanging by a noose in Baerdren's residential home on the outskirts of the city." A dark look descends over the faces of those before you. "A passer-by noticed her through one of his windows. The guards arrived shortly after to survey they scene, then left to retrieve the key from Baerdren when they noticed they couldn't get in. They couldn't find Baerdren so decided that breaking the door down was the only remaining option. Upon their return the door was opened and the body had been removed."

"I've been under investigation since, but there's nothing to find. I was here with Jaela talking about the marks, visions, so on and so forth, so I can't exactly tell them specifically what I was doing without putting you at risk. I've already come to terms with the fact that you're more important in all of this than I, but it still wears me down. I've been having to lie to an authority that I am a part of, and act suspicious within spells that draw the truth from my lips as a divine commandment." Baerdren gives you all a hard look, his lips pressed tightly together before he speaks again. "However this is really nothing you need to be concerned about. My duty right now is to Jaela, and she sees your survival and the retrieval of these others as a top priority. Even she cannot divulge why, right now."

Endymion sits back in his chair, taking the opportunity to take the conversation in a different direction. "And as for your safety, yes, we will be there should you call us for help. We have methods of travelling quickly, and while upon the Argonth we won't be far away. An hour or two at most; I'm faithful that your abilities will allow you to keep yourselves out of trouble for that long should you require our aid. The Argonth is a huge place, so don't feel ashamed to hide if it is called for. We're not asking you to be heroes, just to come home safely. Once you have either called us for help or the job is done, we will travel to the nearest place that grants the ability to get back to Flamekeep as quickly as possible, whatever method that may be."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Tannop

"As you say, Kashan, lazy spies indeed work in our favor. I've had the misfortune of relying on such sources in the past and been disappointed. I'll be only too happy to see some other fellow discover the same life lesson." The rest of Baerden's brief sounds consistent with what Tannop would expect in such uncertain circumstances... but Ashe's caution rang true. It certainly felt as though they were lookouts upon a precipice, watching carefully for what might be ahead but uncertain when the ground might drop off right in front of them.

To his new companions, he confirms, "An hour past dawn." Tannop thinks of his own affairs for the day, wondering what ails his friend Kurikken and whether he would be able to render assistance by morning...
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ashe

Ashe too looked dark as her question about Lady Ofejjaia was answered. Every mystery contains a darker mystery. Thank you for your confidence in this.

Once the explanations finish, she nodded at them.That answers a lot of questions. My mind is clearer now. Including on why Cyre held out despite being invaded so many times. This amount of disorganisation in planning would have made my old handlers have kittens.

She felt something relax in her, as if a formality had been concluded and she was now able to speak freely. The war left far too many dead heroes. There's no need to be concerned about me martyring myself, not when there are so many mysteries still to unravel. She smiled. I'll miss you three, too, after two weeks on the road. Cyre never had such... characterful handlers. By and large, I think staff officer recruitment was conducted by finding the dullest buffers in the entire country and snagging them with a butterfly net. She sighed. With a few exceptions.

Moving to take her leave, she gave another formal bow. Adieu, then, and we will speak on the road. She tapped the new ring. Her eyes swept over the trio, lingering on Baerdren. And take care of Jaela.

With this, she left with the others, firstly to seek out books to take on the road, and secondly to look into the little mystery that had presented itself on her way here.

Do What Thou Wilt;

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Karo

Taking leave of the stuffy paladins and their odd sense of humor, Karo retrieves his gear and exists the citadal. Instead of going straight back to his inn, he wanders briefly about the city, mostly ignoring the rain...in fact, welcoming it for the effect it has at keeping the streets relatively clear. He's mostly lost inwardly, considering the events that just transpired, yet not so distant that he doesn't reflexively scan the shadows for movements, a habit after years of working for the Courier's Guild.

Eventually, he reaches the inn after a while. Soaked to the bone despite his heavy traveling cloak, he orders some hot towels and dinner before retiring to his room.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

The horses you are provided with are some of the best stock you have seen. Each has a brand on the flank to denote the ownership being the Cathedral and gives a small friendly whinny as each of you mount your saddle.

Day 1 to Day 4:
    The rain still doesn’t ease, and it hounds you for the start of your journey. Visibility is extremely poor if not completely non-existent. The moment you open your eyes a gust of wind blows the water into your face and you’re forced to squint again. However your horse seems to know exactly where the road is underfoot and continues without much delay. It’s impossible to think of setting up camp safely in this weather, so you stop each day at the nearest inn for the night.

You notice that a lot of bandits are taking this opportunity to pick off stray travellers from the word in the Inns, but luckily it has left a lot of people uninjured. There is simply no need to be violent with a person who doesn’t ever see your face in the first place, and some are thankful for the small mercy, even if their possessions are gone.

The overall atmosphere seems to darken as the clouds overhead do the same. The weather threatens to get even worse before you leave Thrane, and the thought makes your heart sink.

Day 5:
    The real storm begins. Up until now the only dangers had been only been the effect of the rain on the landscape and the small troop of bandits who rethought their plans after seeing the brands of your horses. Now, lightning is striking close to where you are travelling—sometimes too close—and failing to heed to any of the regular rules for lightning. It seems to be striking in random places rather than targeting the high ground as it should.

Day 6 – 8:
    You start to reach the border between Thrane and Breland, having witnessed three lightning bolts strike at buildings ahead of you, setting them ablaze for a split second before the rain dowses the budding inferno.

The closer to the border you get, the rain slowly lets up and there is no further sign of the threat of lightning. You’re stopped at the border but you’re allowed to pass with no trouble at all. It turns out that the brand of your horses is getting you further than any of the paperwork you’re willing to show.

Day 9:
    Now the rain has stopped and you’re finally enjoying a completely dry day travelling in Breland, you notice something particularly strange. You start seeing wildlife that would normally be hidden during the day on the outskirts of the surrounding woodland.

Wolves, deer, badgers, foxes, and all manner of critters can be seen in different places, running around like something has panicked them with no obvious signs as to what. Then you start noticing how they’re antagonistic towards each other—squabbling before darting off, only to run back and start a fight again. It happens in short bursts before they disappear from sight again, back to where they should be. During the night, everything falls eerily silent and there is no sign of any wildlife at all.

Day 10:
    Your attention is quickly diverted from the strangeness of the day previous when you reach a stretch of plains just south of Vathirond.

All through your journey you have seen no sign of Endymion and Kashan, or any other form of backup. Come to think of it, you’ve hardly seen anyone travelling with the route you’ve been taking. Merchant caravans and the like have been spotted, but no regular travellers going from one destination to another.

Inexplicably the realisation of this and not noticing any sign of backup has made you a lot more frustrated than you normally would become. Your attention spans while travelling through Breland have become shorter, as have your tempers. You found it difficult to concentrate on anything other than getting to the Argonth to find out what is happening and to get home.
    However for a split second your mind is overwhelmed by a wave of clarity, and the fog of anger and frustration lifts from your head, causing you to realise what had been happening. Your concentration and attention span return to you, but you’re left with a throbbing headache that threatens to remain for the rest of the day.

The Argonth towers before you taking up most of the Horizon, stopped in the middle of nowhere. By all account of everything you know about this mobile fortress, it should be moving—it takes a lot of effort and energy to make an unscheduled stop of the fortress and it’s only done in a dire emergency. Considering the bordering Mournland not being too far away perhaps it has come across some resistance or disturbance, but either way it is extremely strange to see it stopped.

As you get closer, you notice what looks to be a group of figures standing under the fortress itself giving off a soft silvery-blue glow. Beyond getting closer and risking detection by whatever it there, you can’t make out anything more than that without other means.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Karo

Karo relishes in the rain. Now that he has some kind of purpose, some kind of drive, not even the rain can get him down. Seeing the sun rise again on the 9th day, however, really brightens his mood. He whistles a tune as he rides next to the others, a little song he heard in Rekkenmark but never really appreciated.

Approaching the Argonth, Karo raises a hand. It shouldn't be stopped. Why is it stopped? Keep a keen eye out. Karo adjusts his grip on his glaive as they ride on.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ashe

Riding was never Ashe's favourite means of transportation, and with this and the rain and her own neglect to bring any book to read she has proved to be a graceless traveller. Instead of the charming, poised woman the others met at the citadel, over the last ten days she has moved from giving sharp, biting answers to any question to a monosyllabic huddling in her cloak, wrapped in her own misery.

Once being sent on such a mission would motivate her, animate every part of her being, but now she feels worn down by care, and feeling powerless, and being given orders that she can't fully understand.

Stopping for a moment, the fog that has hung over her lifts, and she thinks back on the events of the last ten days, puzzled. The lightning, and the animals, and the sense of oppression: none of this now seems natural. A shiver passes up and down her spine as she considers the possible implications of this. Whatever the cause of these things, they do not bode well.

Ashe frowns and peers at the cluster of distant figures. Perhaps they're having a picnic, she replies to Karo, archly. Let's be cautious.

From under her cloak creeps her tiny owl familiar. Blinking and stretching herself in the sun, Nimue flaps her wings twice and takes to the air, speeding towards the softly glowing group ahead before winging back to Ashe to report what she sees.

Do What Thou Wilt;

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Tannop

Peering at the figures huddled beneath the fortress, Tannop shifts in his saddle. "It's felt like the Mournland, riding through Thrane, and now this... very queer. What do you suppose they're up to down there..."
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ashe

Ashe's tiny owl wings its way back to her shoulder and tries to burrow into her cloak while hooting at her tinnily. She frowns.

Some kind of big black spooky unnatural wolf things. They're not happy with the Argonth for some reason. Oh, and the fog isn't natural either, in case anyone was wondering.

Her hand and arm make drawing movements for a wand of fireballs that isn't there. She looks down at the empty holster on her belt, and looks disgusted. She makes a few gestures and murmurs, though nothing apparently happens.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casts shield instead.

I can't see anything else for it but to ride on and find out.

She rides on with the others, making sure she isn't at the forefront of the group as she does so.

Do What Thou Wilt;

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Karo

Well, there is only one way to find out...unless we just hang back until their business is concluded. That doesn't seem very fun, though...

Karo nods to the empty space to his left, then spurs his mount forward, his glaive held high and ready.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2012-01-29 at 11:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Tannop

"Indeed. We have business to attend to that these folk are delaying, and that just won't do. Stay close, milady, and we'll see if we can't come closer with some surprise... lead on, Karo." Tannop casts a sphere of invisibility about the trio, and their forms fade from view except to each other.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

As you ride toward the Argonth, the silence around you becomes deafening. The air is still but it feels as though you are swimming through an expanse of water rather than riding across an empty plain. The atmosphere swarms with gathering magic, and each breath you take energises you with a raw arcane torrent, only to fade when you release the air in your lungs.

Ashe was right. Beneath the Argonth stand a pack of wolves, larger than you have ever seen before and with fur as black as the darkest night. An alluring blue fog surrounds them—the source of the eerie glow you saw before—and their attention is briefly diverted to you as you approach. Inivisbility may shield their eyes, but the nose of a wolf has always been superior.

You tense. The beasts are larger than any dire wolf you have even seen or heard of. When you get as close as you dare, you notice something you hadn’t seen from a distance. Their fur looks like, if it would even be possible, to be tattooed all over with a silver tribal design. Each wolf bears a different design but a shared symbol adorning their forehead. You count; thirteen of them in total. Eyes like mercury shoot a quick glance in your direction before they flee, their heavy paws adorned with silver claws.

With their speed, they seemingly dissolve into clouds of the blue fog themselves and disperse into the wind. The fog under the Argonth sinks into the ground and disappears, revealing another smaller apparition approaching you. It sits and stares at Karo, a mournful look on its face. This new creature is clearly an illusion, but one of some familiarity to your companion.

It’s then that a jarring cold assails you as the invisibility surrounding you fades. You feel your muscles creaking as you move from the sudden temperature drop and your breath forms trails of vapour with each exhalation. The sky falls dark as clouds hide the afternoon sun, yet the air around you remains as still as before. It’s then that you hear an unsettling, guttural cry of pain carry across the plain from the Argonth. Whatever made the sound wasn’t natural to this world—it doesn’t take much to figure that out as an involuntary chill crawls along your spine.

It’s then that you notice a flickering light breaking through the gloom surrounding the Argonth. A signal flashes a repeating pattern from the residential district to the rear of the fortress; it’s a wonder you even saw it, for it’s little more than a pin-prick on the peripheries of your vision, but something drew you to it, and now you can’t seem to take your eyes off it.
    The pattern repeats itself for a few minutes then stops. You see a great length of rope ladder descend from the source of the light and hit the ground, and the flashing pattern begins to repeat itself.
    Last edited by Azaril; 2012-02-03 at 12:13 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Karo

Karo approaches slowly, taking time as he does to note the ground for tracks. Track - (1d20+12)[29] Seeing the signal lighting, he speaks up. It looks like some sort of beacon light. I don't know if we are being hailed, or if its some sort of distress. We should look for a place to tie up the horses and investigate.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Tannop

"Right, then. Let's see if we can't get aboard, hm?" Looking up at the spot where the light came from, he muses, "My semaphore is a little weak, I'm afraid... anyone have a thought on what the flashing might mean?"
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ashe

Ashe looks up at the flickering light, warily shielding her eyes. She turns and looks over at Karo. Had you seen that figment before? Anything you can tell us is helpful. I don't know what those wolf-things are, but they must be connected with the other creepy things that are happening here.

She looked up again at the bulk of the Argonth. I have no clue about the code in the light; it's not one I recognise. Yet the cold and that cry... something is happening aboard the Argonth, and those we came to meet are in danger.

Do What Thou Wilt;

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Karo

Wiping his nose with the back of his sleeve, Karo spurs his mount toward the lone figure. Neglecting any other danger, or even the tracks he was looking for, he vaults from his mount, landing on both feet before the creature. Kneeling down, he extends a hand palm up to her while making soothing clucking noises with his throat.

Azaril
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thoughts: I don't understand. How were you able to separate from me. What were those things? How could they hurt you?

Karo turns back to the other two. You can see her?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Tannop

"Karo! Where are you going?! Ashe, c'mon..." Tannop kicks his mount and follows. He pulls up the horse a short distance behind Karo, looking ahead to see what caught his attention and what then caused him to stop.

At Karo's question, he replies, "...No. Her who?" and casts detect magic to scan the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume I can't see her since I can't see her.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ashe

Ashe pulls up behind the pair and frowns as she replies to Karo. Yes, I can see it. Her, even. Though I can see through her as well; she looks like a figment, an illusion.

Her look at Tannop is even more confused. The dark wolf-like figure. She's right there. She passes a hand over her eyes, then nods slowly. Yes. Right there. She raises one gloved hand slowly, and points at the figure.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Azaril informs me that we can all see her, and she looks like a smaller version of the other wolves, without the silver (I think)

Do What Thou Wilt;

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Karo

That's just it. You aren't supposed to see her. Nobody has ever been able to see her. Nobody has ever been able to hurt her. It's like she's not there, but she's real enough for me. She is me.

Karo's eyes flash with barely contained rage. And now something has hurt her. I can handle all the hardships this life can throw at me. They can break my body, break my spirit, break my mind...They are NOT allowed to hurt Kir'Seth. By the Mockery, I WILL find out what those...things...were, and destroy them. Each and every one of them.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I totally glossed over that line in Azaril's last post, my mistake. Yup, I totally see the wolf. Still detect magic'ing for fun, so I get a clearer read on what this is.

Tannop

"Oh! Yes, there she is then... between the fog and my own facility with illusions, I'm accustomed to staring right past them when I spot one!

What *is* she exactly, Karo?"
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ashe

Spoiler
    Show
    Ashe also casts Detect Magic, and uses her skills to try to figure out if the figure of Kir'Seth is an illusion or anything more about it.

Ashe clenches her teeth at the passion in Karo's voice. She hops down from her horse and takes a few steps towards Karo, arm reached out as if that alone could comfort him. Oh Karo. What have you been through?

She continues on, voice gentle, not truly expecting Karo to answer her first question so easily. We see her now, at least. Is she hurt?Can we help her in any way?

Do What Thou Wilt;