New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5, Base] The Arbiter: Embodiment of Neutrality (PEACH)

I probably just overlooked it, but if not -- do you think it might be helpful if this class could somehow detect or sense when someone has a non-natural bonus to one of their stats? Like, for this ability, for example

As a standard action, the arbiter may select an enemy who currently benefits from numerical enhancements to AC, attack/damage rolls, or ability scores.
    Unless I missed it somewhere, it might be hard for an Arbiter to tell whether or not an enemy has a numerical enhancement to AC, attack/damage rolls, or ability scores.

Also, what happens if the duration of the spell / effect granting the bonus wears off before the Arbiter's effect does? Like, if someone is Gauntlet of Ogre Power, and they take it off after you use the effect; do the extra points just go away?

Again, sorry if you already clarified this! ;D

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Haha. You're talking to a guy who puts out at least one to two new pieces of homebrew per week. My words aren't full of wisdom, they're full of experience. Still, the class itself is nice, but without any words of wisdom to offer, most people don't want to waste your time by just posting "Oh, I love the concept but I don't have anything to add" so they just don't post period. (This is completely subverted when you post something that is hilarious/awesome on a different level, such as my Bro class)

Seems fair. You're still giving him access to the inflict line, but I guess it's not too much of a stretch for a divine caster to study and gain some influence over negative energy.

By the way, I finally posted a class in my BoWIIFM, so take a look when you have a chance! [/shameless self-plug]
    I'll get right to it as soon as I update Eclectic Learning to Advanced Learning instead. Can't believe I missed it (I checked earlier today!)

And the arbiter is all about balance, if he knows healing it makes sense that he would know it's opposite as well.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    I probably just overlooked it, but if not -- do you think it might be helpful if this class could somehow detect or sense when someone has a non-natural bonus to one of their stats? Like, for this ability, for example

Unless I missed it somewhere, it might be hard for an Arbiter to tell whether or not an enemy has a numerical enhancement to AC, attack/damage rolls, or ability scores.

Also, what happens if the duration of the spell / effect granting the bonus wears off before the Arbiter's effect does? Like, if someone is Gauntlet of Ogre Power, and they take it off after you use the effect; do the extra points just go away?

Again, sorry if you already clarified this! ;D
    I had actually not addressed this issue, so I'm very glad you caught it. I'll be sure to add that ability in early on. As for duration, it will not go away, but I need to mention that.

Thanks for the catch!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

You might want to change Y on the table to Arbiter. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    You might want to change Y on the table to Arbiter. Just saying.
    Whoops. Good catch. Out of curiosity, what was the idea of the class you were planning that ability for? A fate-bound warrior or something of that nature?

Also, NeoSeraphi, my critique is up in the other thread.
    Last edited by TravelLog; 2011-11-06 at 11:04 PM.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

I was actually planning it for a Mastermind-type class, that would have that, along with a neato ability to "imprint" people with Tricks (you know, from the Handle Animal skill).

So, you could alter someone's behavior so that they would "naturally" attack when you ask them nicely. Or make some random person throw themselves in front of an arrow for you.

Also, they would have some at-will abilities that alter the environment, though not in a visual way; think of it as some sort of awesome, Ex Mirage Arcana effect.

When I have the time, I might write it up and post it. Of course, it IS competing with my idea for a Mother of Monsters class (you have a ton of summoning spells, but the list that you summon from are monsters you "birthed", so they have some differences to them- basically, think Ozodrin-type changes.), and my Lunatic Fringe class (this guy WANTS to get hit... because he can transform that damage into speed. Or healing. Or strength. Or armor class. Or status effects for other people. Or... you get the idea), and my idea for a psi-spellcaster (essentially, it's a remake of the Psychic Warrior who can put powers into spell slots for increased benefits.), and my idea for martial psionicist (someone who manifests maneuvers in a unique manner... Wait, I actually think I have the idea for this one!), and...

You get the point.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I was actually planning it for a Mastermind-type class, that would have that, along with a neato ability to "imprint" people with Tricks (you know, from the Handle Animal skill).

So, you could alter someone's behavior so that they would "naturally" attack when you ask them nicely. Or make some random person throw themselves in front of an arrow for you.

Also, they would have some at-will abilities that alter the environment, though not in a visual way; think of it as some sort of awesome, Ex Mirage Arcana effect.

When I have the time, I might write it up and post it. Of course, it IS competing with my idea for a Mother of Monsters class (you have a ton of summoning spells, but the list that you summon from are monsters you "birthed", so they have some differences to them- basically, think Ozodrin-type changes.), and my Lunatic Fringe class (this guy WANTS to get hit... because he can transform that damage into speed. Or healing. Or strength. Or armor class. Or status effects for other people. Or... you get the idea), and my idea for a psi-spellcaster (essentially, it's a remake of the Psychic Warrior who can put powers into spell slots for increased benefits.), and my idea for martial psionicist (someone who manifests maneuvers in a unique manner... Wait, I actually think I have the idea for this one!), and...

You get the point.
    1. The Pavlov-imagery of the Mastermind class is undeniable.
    2. All of those ideas sound awesome. Mother of Monsters is basically Echidna from Greek Mythology, and I can imagine playing one as being a lot like the Maxis game Spore, only with D&D creatures, as you selectively breed for desired traits. And I love the Lunatic Fringe class (though I don't understand the "fringe" part of the name, admittedly. Pain-mad Scion maybe?). That would be epic.
    3. Please make each of these classes. My next one will be a Final Fantasy-type Judge, embodiment of Law. Let's try and get them out at the same time. Say, next week or two?
    4. See #3. If you have any questions, please consult customer services. We hope you've had a pleasant day (though your call may have been monitored for quality-assurance purposes).
    Last edited by TravelLog; 2011-11-07 at 12:07 AM.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm actually going to post the pavlovian class now, while I still have all the crunch in my head; that is generally easier for me.

However, I will post a different class next week, so see you then.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yay for homebrew necro!

I'm dubious flavor-wise why an "aura of neutrality" would grant AC & attack bonuses. It just doesn't make sense. I personally would do something like call it "aura of balance", and have it apply either an atk bonus and AC penalty, or the reverse, switchable as a swift action.

A lot of the switching stuff is very confusing, particularly Friendly Arbitration. It's not clear what "reallocate among his allies" means. I would give an example for that and possibly other abilities.

Other than that, this looks really cool :)
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Yay for homebrew necro!

I'm dubious flavor-wise why an "aura of neutrality" would grant AC & attack bonuses. It just doesn't make sense. I personally would do something like call it "aura of balance", and have it apply either an atk bonus and AC penalty, or the reverse, switchable as a swift action.

A lot of the switching stuff is very confusing, particularly Friendly Arbitration. It's not clear what "reallocate among his allies" means. I would give an example for that and possibly other abilities.

Other than that, this looks really cool :)
    Good call. I've clarified it and added an example.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

OK I think that makes more sense now (though you didn't include the extra +2 in your example).

And by the way, this is just begging to be gestalted with Aeon, Pleroma. :D
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    OK I think that makes more sense now (though you didn't include the extra +2 in your example).

And by the way, this is just begging to be gestalted with Aeon, Pleroma. :D
    It's been a long time since I've gone over the Monster Class. Oslecamo strikes again with the perfect tool for the job!

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I really like this class I've used in a few of my campaigns and even made a group based around it