New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Spanish Fan Translation of Oots

Quote Originally Posted by Fenchurch View Post
    What I can't understand is how no one has pointed out what in my opinion is the hardest challenge: Vaarsavius' gender. It's hard to talk about oneself in spanish without implying gender (altough V's verbosity might help) but it's almost impossible to reference someone else avoiding to declare gender. Even the word elfo means male elf and elfa is female elf.
    Actually, we only have to avoid V refering to him/herself in any particular gender. Rich has stated that the preception of other characters (such as Roy saying V-man) doesn't mean they know V's gender.

For words like Goblin, Ranger, and anyother term that can be found in a D&D manual I think is safe to use the word found there.

My LotR translation also has "Montaraz" in it, but the Player's Handbook uses Explorador.

La Orden del Palo would be a fine translation of the comic's name, but I would propose del Palitroque.
    We don't use Palitroque in Argentina. We called them "Dibujos de Palito". I would personally go with "Orden del Palito", not so much because it's what we call this kind of comic here, but more because the diminutive makes it sound sillier.

About the goat that turns red, I like the víbora idea, but being a feminine word it would reference Sabine rather than Nale. In case it's important to remark Nale's tagonism I would phrase the prophecy as "Cuando el cabrón se torne grana acertará"... Grana might be an uncommon word for red, but it has neutral gender and can reference Haley too. But there's a problem with cabrón, in case someone doesn't know it means both male goat and bastard...
    Cabron is not such a regional word. We don't use it in Argentina, but is very common in Spain and almost all of Latin America. However, the metaphorical meaning of the word is much more common than the literal. When someone wants to say a goat is big, he says "Una cabra grande" no "Un cabrón", I believe. Vibora is a femenine word, but when used as traitor it can be used both for male and female. You don't say someone is a "viboro".

I agree, "Entonar" sound better than "Cantar", I didn't think about it. I'll change it.

2. - Top - End - #32

Great thread, I just registered to put my two copper pieces.
    First of all, translating the whole comic seems a great challenge, the puns will be especially hard. What I can't understand is how no one has pointed out what in my opinion is the hardest challenge: Vaarsavius' gender. It's hard to talk about oneself in spanish without implying gender (altough V's verbosity might help) but it's almost impossible to reference someone else avoiding to declare gender. Even the word elfo means male elf and elfa is female elf.
    Welcome! Yes, it's a great challenge, and in my opinion, an impossible one. But I've decided to just use it as an amusing past time, without real concern over whether we ever get to 50 strips (we probably won't) or other expectations.

Regarding V's gender: yes, it'll be hard, but the easy answer is provided by the Giant: people speak of V as male or female, but it doesn't mean V is of that gender, merely their perception of it. We can have Roy talking about "V-man" in the masculine, and Belkar in the femenine, or something, and thus establish the ambiguity, which is even explicitly addressed in later strips. Like others, though, it'd need an editorial decision and will introduce consistency challenges.

About the word trasgo, I personally love it, it appears on many celtic legends.
    See my note about selection bias. I find it telling that the wikipedia entry about it specifically says it's from northern Spain, as you are. I'm sure the stories are nice, and the word full of riches, but it's just not a word used (as far as I can tell) anywhere else. I had never encountered it before. Like the Cuélebre, or other regional monsters, it may be problematic (I love the Cuélebre story and song, but talk about a restricted geographical use!).

Ranger... My translation here would be montaraz, it's the word used in the spanish translation of The Lord of the Rings. I love that translation, they found an equivalent for most of the names: For example Samwise Gamgee becomes Samsagaz Gamyi (the 'wise' irony on his name is translated literally, while his family name is transcribed fonetically to prevent non-english speakers to read an unpronounceable name). And Trancos (Strider) is un montaraz, but it might be better to stick to the manual.
    "Montaraz" in American use is an adejctive meaning "wild"... and Trancos! Ugh! You just reminded me why I hated my translated LotR. I couldn't even finish it, I just stuck to the English one. Sorry, some things, like that, just sound awful to me. (No offence intended)

La Orden del Palo would be a fine translation of the comic's name, but I would propose del Palitroque. This might be a localism, I want to ask if that word is common outside Aragón.
    It is a localism, and "palo" works fine, but I think "palitroque" is funny, and if people like it, I'd prefer it just for the comedy value.

About the goat that turns red, I like the víbora idea, but being a feminine word it would reference Sabine rather than Nale. In case it's important to remark Nale's tagonism I would phrase the prophecy as [I]"Cuando el cabrón se torne grana acertará"...
    But víbora is not feminine (I mean, it is, as a word, but doesn't mean a female snake. A male one is also a víbora, not víboro). I think it works. Word gender and character gender should be kept strictly independent. Incidentally, Sabine is a succubus, which is Spanish is masculine! ("el Súcobo"). How weird is that? Who ever saw a male succubus? (an incubus is a different demon, and it's also masculine: "el íncubo").

Grana might be an uncommon word for red, but it has neutral gender and can reference Haley too. But there's a problem with cabrón, in case someone doesn't know it means both male goat and bastard...
    "Grana" for red might work. It is a bit obscure, but not too regional. But is red hair called "grana"? What we use should work both for the chimera and for Haley's hair. "Roja" works, but "colorada" doesn't, for example.

"Cabrón", on the other hand, I object due to the swearing (which you also mention in your post). We should keep the level of swearing approximately the same as in the original, as it should be intended for the same audiences. I'd rule out cabrón for the same reasons as coño or even mierda. They are a above the level of sweariness of the strip in general, which may alienate readers. See the discussion about the last page of Erfworld for the Giant's take on coarse language in general.

About chanting, salmodiar or entonar could be used to better imply the religious feeling, but they might be too uncommon.
    "Entonar" is better than "cantar", yes. I suggest we change that.

About the rest of your take on strip 7, I like the "dos! dosis de veneno", I think is better than my destrucción, but "demonios" brings back the demon problem (Thor wouldn't have anything to do with demons), while "rayos" fits him perfectly. Without a lightining-based poison, though, I don't know how to reconcile these. I'd say keep "destrucción a rayos".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

<...>
    About the goat that turns red, I like the víbora idea, but being a feminine word it would reference Sabine rather than Nale. In case it's important to remark Nale's tagonism I would phrase the prophecy as "Cuando el cabrón se torne grana acertará"... Grana might be an uncommon word for red, but it has neutral gender and can reference Haley too. But there's a problem with cabrón, in case someone doesn't know it means both male goat and bastard...
    I don't see a problem with "víbora", because you can perfectly say this to a guy: "¡Eres una víbora!" ("You are despicable/traitorous/a backstabber"). When you are using "víbora" as an insult or as a description of somebody who is not at all recommendable, the word ceases to be inherently feminine.

The word "grana", in my opinion, should not be used. It is too obscure, and I think that there will be many people who won't at first understand what it means. That means that "roja" has to be used, and then for grammatical reasons the word "víbora" works.

Besides, "grana" cannot be used to refer to hair colour. At the very least, I have *never* seen it used in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe
    Yeah, "Pícaro" works fine. Your endorsing of "elfo" and my lack of a better option means it's just me, then, so I guess I'll just get used to it. About "dote", then what do you think of "talento"? JoseB, what did you use for "feat", and have a preference for "dote" or "talento" (or another)? Also, did you use that horrible "trasgo" word for goblin?
    Well, I translated "feat" as "dote". Regarding goblins, I do not like the word "trasgo" (no matter how official it might be), and left it "as is" -- In my experience, everybody understands what a goblin is in Spanish. However, if a majority of us decides to go for "trasgo", we can suck it up and use it.

(BTW, when it came to translating the strip with "ThorPrayer", I used the word "salmodiar" to translate "chant").

Por cierto, desde aquí aviso que el cómic #16 es *DIFICIL*. Tengo que intentar recordar cómo lo traduje.

Also, as Fenchurch mentioned, Vaarsuvius poses a BIG problem. What other people say about him/her doesn't matter -- it has been established that whether another character sees Vaarsuvius as a man or a woman is only that character's perception, and doesn't necessarily reflect reality.

But when Vaarsuvius speaks, it is HARD to keep it ambiguous. The only "saving throw" there is that Vaarsuvius is EXTREMELY verbose, and there are ways to obfuscate what V says in Spanish in such a way that "sexed words" can be avoided.

Let me give you some examples from my previous translations:

Strip #11 -- V: "Overwhelmed by pure evil..." // V: "Mal puro... Abrumador..."

Strip #30 -- V: "Feh. Search is cross-class. I consider myself fortunate when I can find my own spellbook in the morning" // V: "Bah. Buscar está fuera de mi clase. Me considero con suerte si puedo encontrar mi grimorio por la mañana." (Alt: "Si puedo encontrar mi grimorio por la mañana, lo considero como algo afortunado").

Strip #31 -- V: "Why are you eating him?? I am a wizard! A delectable 18 intelligence right before you!" // V: "¿¿Pero por qué te lo comes a él?? ¡Yo sé usar magia! ¡Tienes aquí mismo un delicioso 18 de inteligencia!"

The idea would be to avoid participles, as well as adjectives or gendered nouns, and transform them into periphrasis.

I would volunteer to translate V -- I put a lot of thought on how to keep V's own speech patterns sexually ambiguous in Spanish.

Let's see if we can get this rolling!
    Last edited by JoseB; 2011-11-06 at 05:25 PM.
    JoseB

o/` Ooooh, sweet mystery of liiiiiIIIIIiiife... o/`

4. - Top - End - #34

I'm glad to see a lot of consensus building up about snakes and chanting and whatnot. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JoseB View Post
    "grana" cannot be used to refer to hair colour. At the very least, I have *never* seen it used in that sense.
    The hair argument clinches it: "roja" it is then, I think.

Well, I translated "feat" as "dote". Regarding goblins, I do not like the word "trasgo" (no matter how official it might be), and left it "as is" -- In my experience, everybody understands what a goblin is in Spanish. However, if a majority of us decides to go for "trasgo", we can suck it up and use it.
    On the contrary, I think the consensus is around disliking "trasgo", and the question is whether to use "duende" or "goblin". I'm fine with and would even prefer "goblin", but a question: what's the plural? "góblines"? "goblins" is a malformed word in Spanish... I'm not sure.

5. - Top - End - #35

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    I'm glad to see a lot of consensus building up about snakes and chanting and whatnot. Good stuff.

The hair argument clinches it: "roja" it is then, I think.

On the contrary, I think the consensus is around disliking "trasgo", and the question is whether to use "duende" or "goblin". I'm fine with and would even prefer "goblin", but a question: what's the plural? "góblines"? "goblins" is a malformed word in Spanish... I'm not sure.
    Personally I would go with "goblin". However, as you say, the plural would give us problems.

Let's try a lateral solution... What if we treat "goblin" as an invariable noun? Let's turn it in our heads, and see how "el goblin" and "los goblin" would sound to us, in different sentences.

I cannot think of a better solution. "Duende" is not an option -- and "trasgo" is a word that I personally dislike too much. But there are no other possibilities for "goblin" in Spanish.
    JoseB

6. - Top - End - #36

Let's try a lateral solution... What if we treat "goblin" as an invariable noun? Let's turn it in our heads, and see how "el goblin" and "los goblin" would sound to us, in different sentences.
    "I was attacked by goblins!":
    * Fui atacado por goblin! Ugh.
    * Me atacaron los goblin! Still Ugh.
    * Los goblins me atacaron! ...maybe
    * Fui atacado por góblines! ...maybe? does it sound awful?

"Ninja goblins? Here?"
    * Goblin Ninja? Aquí? ...pierde el sentido plural por completo.
    * Góblines Ninja? ...maybe, but:
    * Goblin Ninjas? ... better? or worse?
    * Ninja Goblins? Aquí? ...demasiado "inglés". Might as well be "ninja turtles".

As you say, needs more thought. But "góblines" doesn't seem as bad as I originally feared.

7. - Top - End - #37

OldWizardGuy

The Monster Manual uses Trasgo, Trasgos y Trasgoide. Personally, I hate the word, whenever I play D&D I force my friends to use Goblin, "Goblins" and "Goblinoides". I'm used to those words, so they sound natural to me.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Denamort View Post
    The Monster Manual uses Trasgo, Trasgos y Trasgoide. Personally, I hate the word, whenever I play D&D I force my friends to use Goblin, "Goblins" and "Goblinoides". I'm used to those words, so they sound natural to me.
    Right, the monster manual uses it, but we hate it, so we won't. I think that's as it should be, and while we should use the manual as a reference, we should remember that it also has that same selection and regional bias we mentioned earlier. We should use what we think will be most useful to the readership at large. Our geographical and lexicographical breadth is larger than whoever translated those books twenty years ago.

Given we're OK with going off-manual for "goblins" (which is fine, but "góblines" is not awful either), we should perhaps revisit "feat". I will suggest "talento" again, as it fits the intent, and doesn't sound awful. But I will not push for it; if you guys actually like "dote", I'll shut up about it.

Also, looking ahead at strip 16, like JoséB said, it'd be a good moment to look "ghast" and "lich" in the manual... it'd be great if they were online. And yes, that strip will be hard.

On the other hand, I don't think there's a requirement to do the strips sequentially. I would like to see someone try their hand at strip 445, Elan's song for Roy... now that's a challenge: keep the meaning, the humour, and make the thing singable to the tune of Danny Boy! Oh man!

9. - Top - End - #39

OldWizardGuy

I'm neutral on using "talento", if nobody objects, is fine by me. Ghoul is translated as Necrofago and Ghast as Necrario, though the MM itself clarifies that sometimes they are called Ghouls and Ghast, so I guess we can go either way. Necrofago and Necrario will be easier to rhyme in strip 16, but maybe we'll end up changing them all toghether, like strip 7. Lich is translated as Liche, wich is a really lame attempt by the transalator to hispanicize the word. We should keep Lich.

Yes, we can do strip's in any order. Also, EmperorSarda, you should add strip 7 to the first post (There is a post by me with the last version).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Ok, trasgo is out. Any spanish speaker who is familiar with D&D or fantasy knows the word goblin. And I'm not sure here, but I think the rule to spell a foreign word plural in spanish is just adding -s (-es only if the word already ends in s). Maybe it's wrong, but I usually see it written as los goblins.

The grana thing also was a bad idea, it's a much darker colour than anyone's natural hair.

An for Ranger definitely it's better to stick to the manual translations. I just wrote to point out I liked the word montaraz (someone living in the wilderness). In my opinion it's better to have names that can be pronounced easily, it sure helped me the first time I read LotR as I didn't speak much english back then. On OotS on the other hand some names as Xykon are almost meant to be hard to pronounce.
    Most OotS names should stay the same, except maybe Redcloak who would become Mantorrojo or the like.

The víbora thing seems fine too if it's not related to gender. I hadn't heard that word as an insult many times, but I assumed it would be destined mostly to women. The same way as you don't usually call a man bitch unless the insult is sexually related. I also imagine foocubus rather gender and sexually ambiguous, it baffles me how most stories expect them to be always heterosexual.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: Spanish Fan Translation of Oots

Hi

I'll give you my opinion of a native spanish D&D player:

Comic #1
    Panel 3: Haley: ¿Que Diablos? ¡Ese Trasgo iba a tirarte de culo!
    That makes no sense in our languaje, but "te iba a hacer caer de culo" sounds ok. You can use the wording "te iba a patear el culo", that would be "he was gonna kick your ass"

Durkon: Pues no sé... Solo estoy más... estable.
    "No se... simplemente me sentí más... estable". The use of "pues" would be ok if there was a "well" at the beginning of the sentence.

Panel 5: Roy: Umm, Creo es una cota de malla.
    "Um... creo que es un camisote de malla". "Shirt" literally means "camiseta", but referred to the medieval argot we should use "camisote", a kind of reinforced shirt like this. Moreover, one the armor types that bards can use in D&D3.5 is the chain shirt, which in spanish was translated as I said.

Elan: ¡Que Chevere!
    Nobody in Spain would ever use that word unless he's a foreigner from south America :P . "Sweet" is a childish expresion in Elan's mouth, so you could use "Chachi" or "chupi" instead, that implies joy in a mannered or infantile way.

Panel 6: Varsuvius: Ya comprendo. Creo que estamos siendo convertidos a la nueva edición de 3.5.
    "Ya comprendo" means "Now I understand". In Spanish we usually spare a bunch of words aside the verb. I suggest "Comprendo. Creo que estamos siendo convertidos a la nueva edición 3.5"

Belkar: ¡SÍ!

Roy: Bueno, me siento más intimidante...

Panel 7: Belkar: Llevo más de 3 años haciendo esta basura de ser explorador, era hora de una actualización.
    "Llevo 3 años con esta porquería de explorador, ya era hora de una mejora".
    "Actualización" is more a review than an upgrade, so "mejora" would be more appropiate.

Belkar: Vamos, vamos! Papito necesita nuevos puntos de habilidad!
    "Vamos, vamos! Papi necesita algunos puntos nuevos de habilidad!"
    "Papito" is not used in Spain; "papi" would fit perfectly instead.

Panel 11: Roy: Uh, encogimiento de armas.

Haley: Jiji, ¡es tán chiquito!
    "Pequeñito" better than "chiquito". We use tha latter referred to kids, but not to objects.

Belkar: ¡MALDICIÓN!

Elan: ¡Uh! ¡Puntos de habilidad!
    "¡Oooh! ¡Puntos de habilidad!"

Belkar: ¡MALDICIÓN!

About some other terms that came up along the thread.
    - The generic translation for ranger is "explorador". That's the choice made for the spanish version of D&D, and fits better than "guardabosques" (in spanish, a person whose task is to watch and protect forests; I don't think that your proud Army rangers would agree with "guardabosques" :P )
    - Goblin has been translated as "trasgo". Maybe an awful word for you, but it's the spanish version one, and it's heavily present in the Magic the gathering card too. Everybody in the gaming community would associate a "trasgo" with a green, evil, little punk, but if you say "duende", they'll think about small smily sprites that live in the forest.

Excuse me if I've been harsh, I didn't mean that. I only want to suggest the words that fit better to the spanish "of spain", and agree with the terms used in the roleplaying manuals.

Nice job what you're doing. Go on!

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Vashnevskaya View Post
    Excuse me if I've been harsh, I didn't mean that. I only want to suggest the words that fit better to the spanish "of spain", and agree with the terms used in the roleplaying manuals.
    No need to apologise, but do keep in mind that we are not doing a translation into Spanish "of Spain", but into Spanish, period (as in, generic, panhispanic, region neutral), comprehensible also to the other 400 million Spanish speakers outside the Iberic Peninsula.

As such, "trasgo" is out, as is "chachi", "chupi", "chévere", and others.

Some other comments:
    Panel 3: Haley: ¿Que Diablos? ¡Ese Trasgo iba a tirarte de culo!
    That makes no sense in our languaje, but "te iba a hacer caer de culo" sounds ok. You can use the wording "te iba a patear el culo", that would be "he was gonna kick your ass"
    I had forgotten this... "culo" is considered a swear word in at least half of Latin America. While I don't make a strong objection, perhaps "cola" would be a milder term that fits the bill sufficiently well.

Panel 5: Roy: Umm, Creo es una cota de malla.
    "Um... creo que es un camisote de malla". "Shirt" literally means "camiseta", but referred to the medieval argot we should use "camisote", a kind of reinforced shirt like this. Moreover, one the armor types that bards can use in D&D3.5 is the chain shirt, which in spanish was translated as I said.
    This is a cota de malla. It really looks like a chain shirt, and "camisote" is not a word I recognise... I'd say use either cota or just "camisa".

Elan: ¡Que Chevere!
    Nobody in Spain would ever use that word unless he's a foreigner from south America :P . "Sweet" is a childish expresion in Elan's mouth, so you could use "Chachi" or "chupi" instead, that implies joy in a mannered or infantile way.
    I agree with the objection to chévere, but don't like your alternatives either. What's a generic non-regional term for the same thing? I'm not sure. In Mexico it'd be "padre!" or "suave!" maybe, but those don't work for the same reasons. Perhaps something as plain as "magnífico!" o "excelente!"?

Panel 6: Varsuvius: Ya comprendo. Creo que estamos siendo convertidos a la nueva edición de 3.5.
    "Ya comprendo" means "Now I understand". In Spanish we usually spare a bunch of words aside the verb. I suggest "Comprendo. Creo que estamos siendo convertidos a la nueva edición 3.5"
    Or perhaps "nos estamos convirtiendo", which avoids the passive voice. Whatever works.

Haley: Jiji, ¡es tán chiquito!
    "Pequeñito" better than "chiquito". We use tha latter referred to kids, but not to objects.
    While we use it for everything, especially the implied double entendre regarding shrinkage. I'm open to suggestions, but I like "chiquito" better.

Everybody in the gaming community would associate a "trasgo" with a green, evil, little punk,
    Please keep your selection bias in check. I am in the gaming community, and had never even seen the word trasgo until this thread. "Everybody" is bigger than "everybody I know".

I agree with the rest of your suggestions ("papi", use fewer words where possible, "mejora", avoid "guardabosques" and so on). I also don't mean to be harsh, but do want to keep the version of Spanish we use as wide-reaching as possible, even if this supersedes the manuals translated in that particular region before the Instituto Cervantes, the Panhispanic Dictionary, and the Internet made a stronger point about keeping a common language across our twenty-something nations, preserving the healthy diversity but ensuring it remains comprehensible throughout.

Do keep participating though! The more the merrier!

13. - Top - End - #43

OK, going off the sequence, I'll try one just to make sure I have my own biases in check too, and for comments:

Strip 447
    --------
    Xykon: DING! Octavo piso: ropa para caballero, artículos deportivos, y rupturas en la fábrica del Universo.
    --------
    Caparroja: ¿Que demonios está haciendo?
    Monstruo en la Oscuridad: Me pregunto si Xykon también tiene hermanas...
    --------
    Caparroja: ¿Por qué va por el Portal ahora? El elemento sorpresa está completamente perdido. ¿Qué razón puede tener para atacar el Portal ahora, en vez de esperar la entrada del ejército?
    ---------
    Xykon: ¡Ha llegado la hora de la diversión!
    ---------
    Xykon: Disculpen, ¿les gustaría hacer una donación al fondo "Salve a los Paladines"? Es deducible de impuestos.
    ---------
    O-Chul: Guardia Zafiro... ¡Al ataque!
    ---------

¿Qué tal?

Notes: I like "caparroja" better than "mantorrojo". A cloak is a cape, not a blanket ("manta"). "Guardia Zafiro" es una opción, hay otras. What's a more generically understandable term, "ejército" or "armada"? Is "impuestos" comprehensible enough for "taxes"?
    Last edited by Wolfe; 2011-11-07 at 04:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

RogueGuy

Xykon: ¡Llegó la hora de la diversión!
    Something that I don't really see a way around is that Spanish from Spain uses the perfect tense in many situations where South-American varieties use the preterite, namely for actions that have taken place the same day. Here, for example, in Spain the line would use 'ha llegado'.

Similarly, pronouns might be an issue - for example, a group of people who individually would be addressed as 'tú', would they be 'vosotros/as' or 'Ustedes'? Either sounds weird to a large section of the worlds Spanish speakers.

Basically, at some level compromises are going to have to be made, unless we skirt the issue with horrible clunky constructions that avoid the pronouns/tenses in question.

Also your use of 'gustar' seems to be a south-american-ism to me. In Spain you would say 'Les/os gustaría', but 'gustarían' doesn't work. The guard have to be an object of the verb, not the subject.

I prefer 'ejército' to 'armada', as the latter sounds like the navy, but that might be anglophone bias. 'Impuestos' should be fine though.
    Last edited by Goosefeather; 2011-11-06 at 09:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: Spanish Fan Translation of Oots

Hi!
    Point taken, but let me disagree with you in some points.

I understand your point of view about the chain shirt, but it you use "cota de malla", what's the difference between a chain shirt (camisote de malla) and a chain mail (cota de malla)? In the link you posted, you can read that a "cota" usually goes down to the knees, and we're talking about something with the size of a shirt.
    Ok about "camisote" is not a common word, but if you ask to a common pedestrian what a halberd is (alabarda), few will know, and I think this is not reason to translate "halberd" for "big axe on the end of a long pole".

About the "trasgo" word, find someone who plays roleplaying games or Magic the gathering, and ask about it. Most of the "goblin" translations around the world have used "trasgo".

Be careful about the "neutrality". If you use "cola", an spanish reader will think about "penis" :P

I believe there are too many differences between two significant groups: old spanish, and latin spanish. For example, we'll always prefer not to view a film in "latin spanish" rather than having to listen to such strange accent and words, and sure a lot of people from south América will find our language horrible. And I'm not talking about some little differences, but whole forums arguing "hey you, learn how to write". That's why you always can find the spanish films in two versions.
    So, why don't we prepare two different translations? A latin spanish one, and a classic spanish one. What do you think?

About the other questions, from my point of view (a man from spain) and my father's one (spanish language teacher), here are my two cents:
    - Caparroja. "Manta" is something you use on the bed to avoid cold, "manto" is really similar to cloak. As you wish.
    - Guardia safiro. "Safiro" is not a spanish word as far as I know, but "zafiro" is the term we use for sapphires, so I'd suggest "guardia zafiro".
    - Armada o ejército. Here in Spain we use "ejército" for the ground army, and "armada" for the naval one.
    - Impuestos. Perfect. You can also use "desgravar" as the exact translation for "deduce". "Desgrava impuestos".

Da strechi!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Something else towards the two-translation suggestion. I have several friends from south América (Brasil, Colombia, Ecuador, Argentina), and they use some pronouns that we would only use in really serious situations.

English: "you"
    Latin-spanish: "vos"
    Classic-spanish: "tú"

17. - Top - End - #47

OK, one more, more text-intensive:

Strip 449
    --------
    Durkon: ¡Hinjø, hijø! ¡Xykøn hå entrådø ål cåstillø!
    Hinjo: Lo sé.
    --------
    Xykon: Oye, feo, ¿a quién crees que debo zombificar primero? Creo que empezaré por las chicas. Me parece que eres el tipo que se ofenderá más por eso.
    --------
    Durkon: ¡Esøs pålådines søn de mediø nivel! ¡Nø tienen ningunå øpørtunidåd cøntrå él!
    Hinjo: Lo sé.
    Durkon: Tenemøs que subir, y --
    Hinjo: Durkon, hay secretos sólo conocidos por la familia gobernante de Azure City... hasta hoy.
    --------
    Xykon: ¿Sabes? no puedo esperar a ver la cara de Caparroja cuando vea esto.
    Soon: Arriba, hijos míos.
    --------
    Hinjo: Rezo a los Doce Dioses que mis amigos puedan detener a Xykon sin que muera ni uno de ellos, pero honestamente no lo creo. Ellos sabían al recibir sus órdenes que podrían ser llamados a dar sus vidas por la causa.
    --------
    Xykon: Él juraba que ese truco nunca funcionaría.
    Soon: Sólo el honor de un paladín es inquebrantable --
    --------
    Hinjo: Existe una razón por la cual sólo paladines de la Guardia Zafiro fueron asignados al salón del trono este día. En realidad, no están ahí sólo para proteger el Portal.
    --------
    Soon: -- aun por la misma muerte.
    Xykon: Espera, ¿oyes una voz?
    --------
    Hinjo: Están ahí como refuerzos.
    --------
    Soon: Espectros-mártires de la Guardia Zafiro... ¡Al ataque!

Heheh.. yeah, this is fun. OK, enough for now. Do comment please.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    [...]Here, for example, in Spain the line would use 'ha llegado'. Similarly, pronouns might be an issue - for example, a group of people who individually would be addressed as 'tú', would they be 'vosotros/as' or 'Ustedes'? Either sounds weird to a large section of the worlds Spanish speakers.

Basically, at some level compromises are going to have to be made[...]
    Yes, "ha llegado" is just as good. I can change that, no problem. For the second, I think (but I'll double-check) that the panhispanic dictionary suggests the "ustedes" form as most common baseline.

But you are right, compromises will have to be made here and there, and we'll make them. Also, some times skirting the issue with clunky constructions will work quite well too, the language is quite flexible.
    Last edited by Wolfe; 2011-11-07 at 04:38 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
    [...]'ha llegado'. [...]'Les/os gustaría'
    OK, changes made.

In the link you posted, you can read that a "cota" usually goes down to the knees, and we're talking about something with the size of a shirt.
    Yes, it could but the one on the photo didn't. The cota was short-sleeved and light-weight, like a shirt. Also, of importance is the distinction with the chain mail armour: Armadura de malla, which is different, and a step up from the cota. In any case, if cota doesn't work, I say we keep "camisa".

but if you ask to a common pedestrian what a halberd is (alabarda), few will know, and I think this is not reason to translate "halberd" for "big axe on the end of a long pole".
    Also true, and most in English wouldn't know halberd either. I had thought that most are technical terms findable in historical references, rather than D&D manuals, though, and most use French words (like bec-de-corbin), which we would just keep as they are. But each item should be decided for its own merits, rather than generalisations.

About the "trasgo" word, find someone who plays roleplaying games or Magic the gathering, and ask about it. Most of the "goblin" translations around the world have used "trasgo".
    I found one, staring at me in the mirror. He doesn't know "trasgo", and neither does his gaming group. And "most translations around the world" should be "most translations made in Spain around the world"... In any case, it'll be decided by consensus. But I don't like it.

Be careful about the "neutrality". If you use "cola", an spanish reader will think about "penis" :P
    Good point. I didn't know that. As I said, we all should keep our biases in check. So, what's another word for "culo"? The problem is that in Spain and other places is a general term for the gluteal area, like "ass", while in Mexico and elsewhere is specifically a term for anus, while "cola" is the gluteal area. He fell on his butt, not on his butthole., and the latter is, well, ruder. How about "trasero"? I'm open to suggestions.

So, why don't we prepare two different translations? A latin spanish one, and a classic spanish one. What do you think?
    I think it would be a waste of effort, as most would be duplicated. Furthermore, I think we would miss a chance to try to find a common ground, and instead devolve into that "hey you, learn to write" useless flamewar so common on the internet. Let's try to find the better angels of our nature, yes?

"Espíritu de Hispanidad" and all that... I'd rather not find we really do speak two (or more) different languages after all. But whoever wants will participate in whatever they want.

Insisto: Viva el español tutti-frutti! (lo he de poner en mi .sig... but I hate sigs. Oh well.)

- Guardia safiro. "Safiro" is not a spanish word as far as I know, but "zafiro" is the term we use for sapphires, so I'd suggest "guardia zafiro".
    Ooops. Guilty as charged. Changed to 'Z'. I hate it when that happens.
    Last edited by Wolfe; 2011-11-06 at 10:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi

"Trasero" is an excelent choice, but I wasn't sure about the meaning that it could have among latin America.

About the goblin-trouble. Ok. Do you play Magic the gathering or other games from Wizards of the coast? How do they have translated "goblin"? I'd like to know.

The double translation. I think we may have a divide here. For example, if I were talking to a king, I'd use "vos" as a translation of "you", but referring to a middle class persona, "tú" would fit better. As far as I know, a colombian uses "vos" in any case. Could any latin here enlighten us about something we could all agree?

The Feats. If you use "talento", we will think about something that a person can do really well, but not about the specialization that "feat" intends to mean; we simply would associate it with something the character can do, instead of an acquisition. I'd rather go by the "dote" choice, because at least the roleplayers will understand it. In other words:
    - I have the Endurance feat - I have a feat called Endurance.
    - Tengo el talento de Aguante - I have a good endurance.
    I think It would miss the game-related sense.

Da strechi!

20. - Top - End - #50

"Trasero" is an excelent choice, but I wasn't sure about the meaning that it could have among latin America.
    Yay! Consensus! I knew we could! OK, let's postulate "trasero" for all futrure ass references... except the animal, of course. Do you prefer "burro" or "jumento"? Oh no, here we go again! 8-P

About the goblin-trouble. Ok. Do you play Magic the gathering or other games from Wizards of the coast? How do they have translated "goblin"? I'd like to know.
    Not very recently, but I've played since the eighties (version 2.0! I feel old!) That version had duendes for goblins... I no longer have it, so can't check where it was translated. More recently, I've played in English, as my playing groups included people who spoke only English along with bilingual people, but when speaking amongst us in Spanish or when using old splatbooks it was duendes, orcos, or similar all around; not once had I ever heard the word "trasgo".

Never graduated to 4th edition, though, my last full game was two or three years ago, 3.5 ed. I believe there's a 4th edition set printed/translated in Mexico, but I don't have it.

The double translation. I think we may have a divide here. For example, if I were talking to a king, I'd use "vos" as a translation of "you", but referring to a middle class persona, "tú" would fit better. As far as I know, a colombian uses "vos" in any case. Could any latin here enlighten us about something we could all agree?
    That's the purpose of the panhispanic guidelines, to find that common ground. But I suggest an experiment: how about we both produce a translation of strip 226, and see if we can find a common version after some tweaking? If you are game, I suggest, though, that we try to find a version that we can live with, but the other won't find too objectionable, rather than trying to maximise the differences... if we can do that, then that'll be great, yes?

The Feats. If you use "talento", we will think about something that a person can do really well, but not about the specialization that "feat" intends to mean; we simply would associate it with something the character can do, instead of an acquisition.
    Yeah. As I said, part of the problem is "feat" itself in English, as it's not something you "get" but something you "do", except in D&D. In any case, I'm fine with using "dote", if that's what's clearer.
    Last edited by Wolfe; 2011-11-06 at 10:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

For example, if I were talking to a king, I'd use "vos" as a translation of "you", but referring to a middle class persona, "tú" would fit better. As far as I know, a colombian uses "vos" in any case. Could any latin here enlighten us about something we could all agree?
    The Panhispanic dictionary can clarify for all cases. Full article here: http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltGUIBusDPD?lema=voseo

The specific point about addressing royalty is quoted below, and considered general (panhispanic) usage. Doesn't come up in Mexico often, as we don't usually talk to kings. (And when I talk to Liz, I do it in English) 8-P

Quote Originally Posted by DPD
    1. Voseo reverencial. Consiste en el uso de vos para dirigirse con especial reverencia a la segunda persona gramatical, tanto del singular como del plural. Esta fórmula de tratamiento de tono elevado, común en épocas pasadas, solo se emplea hoy con algunos grados y títulos, en actos solemnes, o en textos literarios que reflejan el lenguaje de otras épocas. Vos es la forma de sujeto (vos decís) y de término de preposición (a vos digo), mientras que os es la forma de complemento directo (os vi) y de complemento indirecto sin preposición (os digo). El verbo va siempre en segunda persona del plural, aunque nos dirijamos a un solo interlocutor: «Han luchado, añadió dirigiéndose a Tarradellas, [...] por mantenerse fieles a las instituciones que vos representáis» (GaCandau Madrid-Barça [Esp. 1996]). Como posesivo se emplea la forma vuestro: Admiro vuestra valentía, señora. Los adjetivos referidos a la persona o personas a quienes nos dirigimos han de establecer la concordancia correspondiente en género y número: Vos, don Pedro, sois caritativo; Vos, bellas damas, sois ingeniosas.

I think it works in the specific aspect of addressing royalty formally (but not informally; Roy after the trial is not curtsying to Shojo) Though as I mentioned earlier, perhaps the archaic form would be in character for Vaarsuvius.

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

Yay! Consensus! I knew we could! OK, let's postulate "trasero" for all futrure ass references... except the animal, of course. Do you prefer "burro" or "jumento"? Oh no, here we go again! 8-P
    Personally "trasero" looks perfect to me: A neutral word immediately understandable to any Spanish speaker anywhere. Much better than "culo" or "cola".

Also, "burro" is in my opinion the ideal translation for the animal, for pretty much the same reasons.

That's the purpose of the panhispanic guidelines, to find that common ground. But I suggest an experiment: how about we both produce a translation of strip 226, and see if we can find a common version after some tweaking? If you are game, I suggest, though, that we try to find a version that we can live with, but the other won't find too objectionable, rather than trying to maximise the differences... if we can do that, then that'll be great, yes?
    I am game! Let's give it a try.

=====

Viñeta 1
    Roy: Veo que tienen un hotel bastante lujoso para estar en mitad de la nada.
    Sirvienta: Oh, no, señor; estamos en pleno centro de Algúnsitio.

Viñeta 2
    Roy: Bueno, claro, técnicamente es algún sitio, pero vamos... no es ninguna parte.
    Sirvienta: Claro que no, señor; Ningunaparte es un país completamente diferente.

Viñeta 3
    Roy: Exacto. Así que, como dije, estamos en mitad de la nada.
    Sirvienta: Oh, no, señor. Lanada no está en absoluto cerca de Algúnsitio. De hecho, está más cerca de Ningunaparte.

Viñeta 4
    Roy: ¿Qué...?
    Sirvienta: Usted dijo que estábamos en Lanada, que está bastante más al este de Algúnsitio y un poco al sur de Ningunaparte.

Viñeta 5
    Roy: Pero qué... A ver. Donde sea que estemos ahora, tiene que ser en algún sitio, ¿no?
    Sirvienta: Correcto, señor.
    Roy: Pero estamos en mitad de una llanura monótona y sin nada, así que no estamos realmente en ninguna parte.
    Sirvienta: Correcto de nuevo, señor.

Viñeta 6
    Roy: Así que, como no estamos en ninguna parte, estamos en mitad de la nada.
    Sirvienta: Ah, ahí es donde se equivoca usted, señor.

Viñeta 7
    Roy: ¿Quién es ese tipo? Parece importante.
    Sirvienta: Oh, lo es, señor. Es el Rey de Algúnsitio.

Viñeta 8 ((I had to adapt the translation here))
    Roy: Un momento... ¿Tienen un Rey alojado en su establecimiento y ni siquiera saben de dónde es?
    Sirvienta: Por supuesto que lo sabemos, señor: Es el Rey de Algúnsitio.

Viñeta 9 ((Another adaptation needed here))
    Roy: El Rey de algún sitio... ¡O de ninguna parte!
    Sirvienta: Oh, no, señor -- El Rey de Ningunaparte tiene barba.

Viñeta 10 ((I can't make this one better :( And it's lame ))
    Roy: Ya... Como veo que tiene problemas con la realeza, se lo dejaré fácil: No soy rey de ninguna parte.
    Sirvienta: Claro que no, señor. No tiene barba.
    Roy: No, quiero decir que no soy rey para nada.

Viñeta 11
    Sirvienta: ¿¡Rey de Lanada!? ¡Por supuesto! ¡Debería haberme percatado de la corona que lleváis al cuello!
    Roy: ¿Qué...? No, esto es un malentendido...
    Sirvienta: ¡Pepe! ¡Llévate a Su Majestad, el Rey de Lanada, a la Suite Real!
    Pepe: Por supuesto. Seguidme, Majestad.

Viñeta 12
    Roy: Estoy confundido. Intento averiguar de dónde es ese rey, y me acaban tomando por el rey de vé a saber dónde.
    Pepe: Oh, no, señor; para nada.
    Pepe: Veasaberdónde es una democracia.
    =====

Well, this was my try.

BTW, I have to say -- this thread has become more a thread for discussion about the technicalities of the translation than a thread for the translation itself.

I would suggest that we open a new thread *ONLY* to post the translations themselves, in proper order, and that we keep this one for us to discuss translation technicalities and options.

Just my 2 eurocent!
    Last edited by JoseB; 2011-11-07 at 01:43 AM.
    JoseB

23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground

Strips 7-9 posted.

For Crap that Durkon uses in Strip 7, I used a more obscure word for crap, just so the colon tumor joke would work better. And Sanction Heathens, sort of like smite, but it works with Sanar. I agree with I think Wolfe that mierda doesn't quite fit.

And I am leaving capitalized nicknames like V-Man alone as I don't believe there is an equivalent in Spanish and V-Hombre does not have the same ring to it.

I also went with the Nordic Suggestion for Durkon, except for accented letters.

So to confirm, the consensus is to have Goblins be Goblines, and change culo a cola?

JoseB, I am fine with discussing the technicalities of translation here too. It helps make it a group effort so the translation is better.

I am not sure my question has been answered, but what should be used in place of Chevere?
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2011-11-07 at 02:04 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Strips 7-9 posted.

For Crap that Durkon uses in Strip 7, I used a more obscure word for crap, just so the colon tumor joke would work better. And Sanction Heathens, sort of like smite, but it works with Sanar. I agree with I think Wolfe that mierda doesn't quite fit.

And I am leaving capitalized nicknames like V-Man alone as I don't believe there is an equivalent in Spanish and V-Hombre does not have the same ring to it.

I also went with the Nordic Suggestion for Durkon, except for accented letters.

So to confirm, the consensus is to have Goblins be Goblines, and change culo a cola?

JoseB, I am fine with discussing the technicalities of translation here too. It helps make it a group effort so the translation is better.

I am not sure my question has been answered, but what should be used in place of Chevere?
    The consensus regarding "culo" or "cola" is to use NEITHER of them, and use instead "trasero": More neutral, immediately understandable, and without problems of it being a bad word in any particular Spanish dialect.

Regarding "chévere", it is too regional. Perhaps a solution would be to use "¡qué bien!", or "¡genial!". Native Spanish speakers, what do you think?
    JoseB

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Both of qué bien and genial are good indeed

Great translation of a very hard strip. It's not perfect, but I don't think it can get much better.

Just one thing before I forget it
    Monstruo en la Obscuridad
    I would translate the Gates as los Portales rather than las puertas, it has a more epic sound to it.

The word latin really grinds my gears. In the last years has turned to mean south-american, but it used to mean "somebody who speaks a language based on latin". So anybody from France, Italy or Brazil used to be latin. Can we identify ourselves as european or american rather than latin or latin?

I've tried to translate the cast page (¿Página de reparto?) but I've realized we might have to translate Roy Empuñaduraverde (aaargh) because Xykon calls him "that guy with the green hilted sword"
    Also, i'm not a D&D player so I might have written some utterly stupid class name translation

Spoiler
    Show

1- Presentando a los más diestros aventureros de estas tierras, la Orden del Palo

2- Elan el bardo, extraordinario trovador y maestro de los encantamientos.
    Elan: ¡El mundo es mi musa!

3- El siempre fiable Durkon Thundershield, clérigo enano.
    Durkon: Mi måza siempre está prepårada, chicos.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Martillo sounds like a tool rather than a weapon, doesn't it?
    Also I would translate lads as mozos, but it might be a localism.
    And Durkon Escudoatronador is hideous, I would leave that untranslated

4- La pícara Haley Starshine, cuya letal puntería sólo tiene par en su belleza.
    Nota: Me debo... un diamante bien gordo.
    Haley: Los diamantes SÍ son para siempre*
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is no spanish equivalent for I.O.U., it might be hard to understand for a reader why is she holding a note starting whith Me debo. Bien gordo might also be a localism.
    *I have swiped the Marilyn reference and replaced it with a more common diamond related cliché. Could be an unforgivable choice.
    Brillodeestrella sounds like Tinkerbell.

4- El explorador Mediano Belkar Bitterleaf, el mejor rastreador de menos de metro veinte del mundo.
    Belkar: Menuda pérdida de tiempo.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hojamarga... psss screw that, no reason to translate it

5- Vaarsavius, inexcrutable pozo de sabiduría arcana
    V: ¡Uno solo de mis pensamientos os volvería LOCOS! ¡¡¡LOCOS!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Couldn't find a neuter translation of keeper

6- Y su líder, Roy Greenhilt, Guerrero veterano y experimentado en la batalla.
    Roy: NO pienso leer eso.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now I really think we should translate Greenhilt, as there are many jokes based on it. To name a few:

7- Roy: Me niego a seguir la corriente con el cliché de que "los Guerreros son estúpidos"

8- Haley: Oye, mira, si yo puedo soportar el estereotipo de la chica cursi y Elan puede leer esa idiotez que ha tenido que leer...
    Elan: Pero si lo escribí yo...

9- Haley: ...tú también puedes parar de quejarte y ¡leer el guión!
    Belkar: De verdad. El mío tenía un chiste de altura ¡por favor!
    Roy: ¡Vale, vale! ¡Ya lo leo!
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's kind of hard to place Haley's opening exclamation mark, as the sentence started in the previous panel. I imagine her voice starting soft and getting louder with every word, but I don't know how to punctuate that.
    Also I don't know if ¡por favor! can be used in that kind of context in every country

10- Y su líder, Roy Greenhilt, Guerrero veterano y experimentado en la batalla.
    Roy: Grr. Roy aplasta insignificantes kobolds.
    Haley: Ji
    Roy: Tengo un master en empresariales, sabes

26. - Top - End - #56

Personally "trasero" looks perfect to me [...] Also, "burro" is in my opinion the ideal translation for the animal
    Great, more consensus! I also like a lot your take on 226, more comments on that tomorrow.

I would suggest that we open a new thread *ONLY* to post the translations themselves, in proper order, and that we keep this one for us to discuss translation technicalities and options.
    I like one thread better, as it keeps the communication contained and active. Once we have a bunch, or if this grows too much, or if Emperor gets sick of maintaining the first post, or something, then maybe we should break it. It feels premature at this time, though.

Hmmm... I like the "rayos" version better, as it entirely avoids the scatological angle. Also, your version lacks some later corrections made by Denamort... check here for his latest take.

Also, there's a consistence problem with the current versions of #7 and #2, in one Roy talks "usted" to Durkon and "tu" in the other. I prefer "tu", but don't really mind either way, as long as it's consistent. You are also missing some other proposed corrections by JoseB & Vash, regarding changing "Andale" and others which I forget... Maybe we need a way to highlight conclusions when reached for inclusion on the original post, but for now I recommend you just reread the last dozen or two comments (not that many, yes?). I'll do a more thorough proofread some time tomorrow if I have time, and on 8 & 9 too.

Consensus on "trasero", for anything ass related, and "goblin" instead of trasgo, though I haven't seen a definitive on the plural ("goblins" should work, but if we go with "góblines", then make sure to keep the accent on the ó) Also, I think we're fine with "cota de malla" for the chain shirt, "entonar" for chanting, "elfo" for elf, "dote" for feat, "víbora roja" for the prophecy (when we get there), and others which I forget.

Also, I posted (and corrected after comments) translations for strips 447 and 449, which can go up on the OP if there are no more corrections pending, and JoseB did a first pass on 226, but I think that's still in progress. (We agreed going sequentially is not really a requirement, yes?).

Regarding "chévere", it is too regional. Perhaps a solution would be to use "¡qué bien!", or "¡genial!". Native Spanish speakers, what do you think?
    Right, we also agreed that "chévere" won't do. From the current suggestions, I like "genial!" the best. If there are no objections or better ideas, we should use that.

27. - Top - End - #57

OldWizardGuy

Strip 7
    Spoiler
    Show

Panel 1: Durkon: Elån se encuentrå mål… Y ya nø tengø más Sånår Heridås Gråves.
    Roy: Hace lo que puedas, Durkon.
    Panel 2: Durkon: Grån Thør, tu sirviente humilde te pide åyudå en su hørå de necesidåd.
    Panel 3: Voz: ¡Hola! Y bienvenido a PlegariasThor(c).
    Panel 4: Voz: Para continuar en la idioma Común, cante “Uno” ahorita. Ech tod kodo kra'th sh... "deth" frek.
    Durkon: Mmm, Unø.
    Panel 5: Voz: Si sabes el nombre del milagro que desea solicitar, cante “uno” ahorita.
    Durkon: Unø.
    Panel 6: Voz: Por Favor, entonar las primeras tres letras del milagro ahora.-
    Durkon: Buenø, quierø sånårte, entønces S-Å-N
    Panel 7: Voz: Has seleccionado, “Sancionar Paganos.” Si es correcto, cante “uno”, si no, cante “dos”.
    Durkon: ¡Døs!
    Panel 8: Voz: Has seleccionado, "Candentes Ampollas de Dolor Eterno". Si esto es correcto, cante "uno". Si no, cante "dos"
    Durkon: ¡Døs! ¡DØS!
    Panel 9: Voz: Has seleccionado, "Tumor". Para elegir el tipo de "Tumor" con el que castigar a los enemigos de Thor, cante "tres" ahora.
    Durkon: Tres. ¡Nø! ¡Bøñigå!
    Panel 10: Voz: Has seleccionado “Cancer de Tumor.”
    Durkon: ¡Gåh!
    Elan: Um, ¿No podría tener una poción?
    There is a post in the first page with the final version of this strip. I compiled there all the changes we discussed. I think "Sanar" is a better option than "Aliviar", wich is the one we used there. But the replacement for Tumor, "Destrucción" (Dos and Des are close enough, as Wolfe said) works better.

Strip 8
    Spoiler
    Show

Panel 1: Haley: Encontré esta poción de sanar para ti.
    Elan: ¡Gracias Haley!
    Panel 3: Haley: Wow, ¡eso es un gran cosa! (There's no literal equivalent for "that's great" in spanish. "¡Si que es buena!" would be better, I think)
    Elan: ¡Diría lo igual! It should be ¡Y que lo digas!. This is a regionalism (we don't use it in Argentina, actually) but I think anyone can understand it.
    Panel 4: Elan: ¿Pero cómo reparo mi capa?
    Belkar: Han visto una botella verde por… ¡Oye!
    Panel 5: Belkar: ¡Tomaste mi poción!
    Haley: ¿Qué?
    Panel 6: Haley: Uh, entiendo. Soy una Picara, debo de haberte robado tú poción. (Drop that "de", that's gramatically incorrect)
    Panel 7: Haley: Uuu, Hay que asegurar todo cuando está Haley – ¡Ella es una Picara!
    Belkar: Pero… ¡Pero tienes la botella en la mano!
    Panel 8: Haley: Francamente, Belkar, con todas los imagenes negativas de Medianos que hay, Pensé que serías más sensible.
    Belkar: Um… Yo, uh… Iquise decir, uh…
    Panel 9: Elan: Deberías estar avergonzado. The subjunctive form (at least I think that's subjunctive, I always get my tenses wrong) is more appropiate.
    Haley: No, No, Está bien. Solo… Solo pensé que eramos mejores amigos que eso.
    Panel 10: Elan: Gua, ¡Eso fue maravilloso!
    Haley: Mi padre fue un ladrón de la primera edición. Está en la familia. Actually, you can said "Corre en la familia", a literal translation of "runs in the family".
    Strip 9
    Spoiler
    Show

Panel 1: Haley: ¿Qué Ocurre?
    Roy: Encontramos un cinturón mágico que un Ogro llevaba. or "llevaba un Ogro" sounds more natural to me. V-Man está usando el Hechizo, Identificar. V-man has no equivalent in Spanish. I would leave it as V (No need for the comma there).
    Panel 2: Haley: Apuesto que es un Cinturón de Fuerza de Gigantes. (In the spanish books the plural form is used, so that would be preferable)
    Roy: ¿Sí? 10 Oro dicen que no. (I think "Diez piezas de oro dicen que no" works better)
    Panel 3: Elan: Podría ser una Cinturón de Muchos Bolsillos.
    Roy: Buen adivinanza, si no fuera por el hecho que no tiene, Uh, no sé, BOLSILLOS.
    Panel 4: Varsuvius: ¡Lo! He cumplido (I would used "completado") mis adivinaciones. Este objeto de poder arcano es un Ceñidor de Feminidad/Masculinidad.
    Roy: ¿Un Qué?
    Panel 5: Varsuvius: Este cinturón contiene un encantamiento complejo el cual transforma a quien lo lleva en el sexo opuesto.
    Roy: ¿Estás Bromeando?
    Panel 6: Varsuvius: No lo soy. It should be "No, no lo estoy"
    Durkon: ¡Eeek!
    Panel 7: Roy: Que basura.
    Panel 8: Voz: Vamos de aquí.
    Roy: Me debes 10 oro.
    Haley: Sí, como eso ocurrirá.

Fenchurch

All D&D terminology was translated right. You could change V's line with "inexcrutable pozo de secretos arcanos" and then he/she would said "Y cada uno de ellos te volvería loco. ¡LOCO!"
    Last edited by Denamort; 2011-11-07 at 05:23 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Denamort View Post
    All D&D terminology was translated right. You could change V's line with "inexcrutable pozo de secretos arcanos" and then he/she would said "Y cada uno de ellos te volvería loco. ¡LOCO!"
    Just a point of order: The word is "ineScrutable", with an "S", not an "X".

(From the verb "escrutar", to examine something intently).
    JoseB

29. - Top - End - #59

I would translate the Gates as los Portales rather than las puertas, it has a more epic sound to it.
    Agreed. Changed. Also changed "obscuridad" (dammit, when did that word go obsolete under my feet? oh well... still technically correct, but the spelling without the 'b' is now favoured, so we use that).

I've realized we might have to translate Roy Empuñaduraverde (aaargh) because Xykon calls him "that guy with the green hilted sword"
    Aaarrgh indeed! Empuñaduraverde is horrible... I hope we can make it work without translating it, maybe make oblique references, or something, but we'll see.

Durkon: Mi måza siempre está prepårada, chicos.
    Martillo sounds like a tool rather than a weapon, doesn't it?
    Actually, martillo is a weapon, maza is a generic beating-stick-with-a-weight, and mazo is a tool. From these, I prefer martillo. After all, Mjollnir, the hammer par excellence, and of Durkon's god, is identified as a martillo.

Roy: Tengo un master en empresariales, sabes
    Hmmm..... this is problematic. He doesn't have a master en empresariales, he has a master in battle administration. But we shouldn't keep MBA untranslated, should we? How about "tengo maestría, ¿sabes?"

EDIT: also, I forgot:
    Presentando a los más diestros aventureros de estas tierras, la Orden del Palo.
    We pondered earlier an alternative to "Palo". "Palito" is funny and common, and "Palitroque" is (in my opinion) funnier, but much less common. "Palo" works and is non-controversial, but in the interests of da funny, I recommend we choose one of the others (or another?). Even if it's a regionalism, I confess I find "palitroque" immensely amusing and would prefer it, but whatever people like is fine.
    Last edited by Wolfe; 2011-11-07 at 05:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

NecromancerGuy

Aaarrgh indeed! Empuñaduraverde is horrible... I hope we can make it work without translating it, maybe make oblique references, or something, but we'll see.
    Hmmm... What about Puñoverde, or Verdemango, or Verdespada? Mostly because we have to deal with it -- there are references to his name later on, and *something* has to be done with it. We need to brainstorm about this.
    JoseB