New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Spanish Fan Translation of Oots

Hi there! My name is Nachoman Randy and I speak spanish with ease! (Maybe english not so much, but meh, you keep what you got). I was wanting to do something like this for a long time!

If you guys need some help with grammar or someone else to do some translations I will help gladly.

EDIT: Also, I just read a couple of post and you guys seem to translate very literal in some cases. I can also help with that.

EDIT2: Oh! This is my first post eva!!! Hurray!
    Last edited by Nachoman_Randy; 2012-01-15 at 06:32 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Sorry for the double post, I just read a couple of post and this is just a suggestion using the first one:

La Nueva Edición:
    Spoiler
    Show

Panel 3-
    Haley: ¿Pero qué? ¡El Trasgo iba de derribarte!
    Durkon: No sé, me sentí muy... estable.

Panel 5-
    Roy: Ohhh, Creo que es un camisote de mallas.
    Elan: ¡Genial!

Panel 6-
    Vaarsuvius: Ya entiendo. Creo que estamos siendo convertidos a la nueva edición 3.5.
    Roy: Bueno, en verdad me siento más intimidante.
    Belkar: ¡SÍ!

Panel 7-
    Belkar: Por tres años he estado haciendo esta basura de explorador. Hora de una mejora. Vamos, vamos, papi necesita más puntos de habilidad.

Panel 10-
    Roy: Ohhh. Encogimiento de armas.
    Haley: Haha, qué pequeñas.
    Belkar: ¡Maldición!
    Elan: ¡Ohh! ¡Puntos de habilidad!
    Belkar: ¡Maldición!

Hope you like it.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

1st comic:

Durkon - Pues no se.. Acabo de sentirme realmente.. estable.

Elan - ¡Genial!

Vaarsuvius: Ya comprendo. Creo que nos estamos convertiendo a la nueva edición 3.5. -without "nueva edicion DE 3.5"

Roy - Bueno, de hecho me siento más intimidante...
    -literal translation is "Well, i do in fact feel more intimidating", but it more acuratelly reflects the facts that Roy NOW feels more intimidating after V's statement-

Elan - ¡Ooh! ¡Puntos de Habilidad!
    -The sound "uh" is more broadly used for a surprice/pain sound, like when hitted by something suddenly, seeing something painful happening to anyone else, or realising about something not precisely pleasant; It can still be used, but "oh" more clearly denotes surprise-

Just some quick issues i found then giving a fast read.. maybe i'll later read further comics :P

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

HI there, I'm from Colombia and could help with this... I would like to know if there is already an stablished process for the translation (Someone who assign work to initial translators, editors and final-version checkers...).

Also, I would like to ask a question to those who speak spanish as their native language and play D&D: Did you use spells, skills and other gameplay elements names in spanish or english? [i.e. Do you say "Tengo un +2 al spot" or "Tengo un +2 en avistar"?]

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Coco and Nachoman, read some of the grammar discussions. We talked about using Goblin instead of Trasgo. We are trying for an international sort of translation.

For "camisote de mallas", I understood it that cota de malla is a better translation. Also for Durkon since he speaks in an accent, we thought making some of the vowels Nordic would help with that.

Coco, I'll change Uh to Oooh for Roy. Since you pointed out the sentence about Roy feeling more intimidating, do you have any suggestions for it?

Quote Originally Posted by TKoTD View Post
    HI there, I'm from Colombia and could help with this... I would like to know if there is already an stablished process for the translation (Someone who assign work to initial translators, editors and final-version checkers...).

Also, I would like to ask a question to those who speak spanish as their native language and play D&D: Did you use spells, skills and other gameplay elements names in spanish or english? [i.e. Do you say "Tengo un +2 al spot" or "Tengo un +2 en avistar"?]
    The process is making a draft version and posting that, correcting it a little... It isn't that well of an organized process. I started it originally thinking it would be fun and people just joined in.

As far as spells, it has been suggested that we use this this site for some things, for spot checks I believe we have been saying "Tirada de avistar". For actual skill points, like 2 points in animal husbandry and whatnot, we haven't really come to that bridge.

But discussion on what to call feats (dotes) and other things is in the four pages.
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2012-01-16 at 02:47 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    Ok, since this is revived, we can let the other thread die then...

For consensus, the translation of #70 started by Wolfe.

Spoiler
    Show

---------
    Haley: V, ¿no es esta la chica que guardaba la Runa de Aire?
    V: Cierto. Creo que tal es el caso.
    Roy: Interesante. No recuerdo nadie guardando la Runa de Tierra.
    ---------
    V: Supongo que el drow la petrificó a nuestras espaldas.
    Roy: ¿Puedes revertirla?
    V: No, no poseo el hechizo necesario.
    ---------
    Nale: ¡Qué lástima! Los Buenos no pueden rescatar a la sílfide.
    Thog: jaja! no tienen rollo!
    ---------
    Roy: ¿Rollo?
    Nale: Cállate.
    Thog: ja! tonto hombre hablador no tiene rollo que nale tiene. ja!
    ---------
    Roy: Veremos al respecto. ¿Haley?
    Haley: Una búsqueda, a la orden.
    Nale: ¡Ah! ¡Para! ¡Hace cosquillas!
    ---------
    Haley: ¡Aquí está! Parece ser un pergamino de Romper Encanto.
    Roy: Si Nale quería callar a la sílfide, quiero oír lo que tiene que decir. ¿Vaarsuvius?
    ---------
    V: ¡Romper Encanto!
    Celia: ¡Gah!
    V: Oops.
    ---------
    Celia: ¡Ay! ¿Qué... qué pasó?
    V: Habéis sido transformada en piedra.
    Nale: ¡Por mil años!
    ---------
    Celia: ¿¿QUÉ??
    Nale: Síp. Todos tus seres queridos han sido muertos por siglos.
    ---------
    Celia: ¡Nooo! ¡Nunca pude decir --
    Nale: Nah, te estoy tomando el pelo. Fue una hora, cuando mucho.
    ---------
    Nale: Valió la pena.
    Thog: ayyy! duele!
    ---------

For the translation of talky man, we have three votes for hombre hablador and two I think for parlanchín, if I read the old thread correctly. Other objections to hombre hablador?
    Presento una corrección ortográfica y de estilo básica:

Spoiler
    Show

---------
    Haley: V, ¿no es esta la chica que guardaba la Runa de Aire?
    V, ¿No es ésta la chica que protegía la Runa del Aire?

Spoiler
    Show
    "Guardar" in spanish means "To Save", "Guard" could be translated either to "protejer", "cuidar" o "escoltar" (those are the first translations that i can thing of it). "Ésta" must come with the "é" even though in the last DRAE's version indicates that it's optional; widespread usage in printed media indicates it. I believe that "del" should be used instead of "de" when translating "Air Sigil", this way is clear that it is a sigil that represent the air, not one composed of air. Finally, I'm not sure about translating "Sigil" as "Runa", perhaps "Sello" or "signo" could be more accurate.

Roy: Interesante. No recuerdo nadie guardando la Runa de Tierra.
    Curioso/Interesante. No recuerdo que alguien protegiera la Runa de la Tierra
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure about that change, but I find "Curioso" a more natural expresion in that kind of situation

---------
    V: Supongo que el drow la petrificó a nuestras espaldas.
    Yo Supondría que el drow la petrificó a nuestras espaldas
    Spoiler
    Show
    keeping verbal times

Roy: ¿Puedes revertirla?
    ¿Puedes volverla a la normalidad?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Long explanation, 3:13 a.m.... later

---------
    Thog: jaja! no tienen rollo!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have never played D&D in spanish, but i would guess that "Scroll" should be translate as "Pergamino" rather than "Rollo". Also, I beleive that traditional "barbarian" speak in spanish use infinitive verbs, being this correct Thog line should be "¡jaja! ellos no tener rollo"

---------
    Thog: ja! tonto hombre hablador no tiene rollo que nale tiene. ja!
    ---------
    Roy: Veremos al respecto. ¿Haley?
    Ya lo veremos. ¿Haley?
    ---------
    ¡Lo tengo! ...
    Roy: Si Nale quería callar a la sílfide, quiero oír lo que tiene que decir. ¿Vaarsuvius?
    Si Nale quería callar a la sílfide, entonces quiero oír lo que tiene por decir. ¿Vaarsuvius?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even tough "que tiene que decir" is an speech form, writing "que.. que" is not acceptable.

---------
    V: Oops.
    ---------
    Spoiler
    Show
    IDK if this has already been discused, but "WTH?" should be "¿qué demonios? [in Colombia we would say "¿Qué putas?", but that's just us]"

Fuiste transmutada en piedra
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Transmutar" is a word that appears in the DRAE... "transmutar.

(Del lat. transmutāre).

1. tr. Mudar o convertir algo en otra cosa. U. t. c. prnl."

¡Durante mil años!
    Spoiler
    Show
    now is 3:34 a.m... I'll give up with explanations now, if there's any question... just ask about it.

---------
    Sip. Todos tus seres queridos murieron hace mucho
    ---------
    Nah, te estoy tomando el pelo. "Ha pasado una hora, máximo."/"Cuando mucho ha pasado una hora."
    ---------
    ¡ay! ¡thog lastimado!
    ---------
    Spoiler
    Show

Where Nale says that all of her loved ones are long since dead, I changed han estado muertos to han sido muertos, cause death is not a state and I think it makes more sense to use the permanent form with Nale, cause he would think it is funnier.

"han sido muertos" is a non-existing expression (as many of my broken english phrases)...

EDIT:

The process is making a draft version and posting that, correcting it a little... It isn't that well of an organized process. I started it originally thinking it would be fun and people just joined in.

As far as spells, it has been suggested that we use this this site for some things, for spot checks I believe we have been saying "Tirada de avistar". For actual skill points, like 2 points in animal husbandry and whatnot, we haven't really come to that bridge.

But discussion on what to call feats (dotes) and other things is in the four pages.
    Thx for your answer, and I understand that we could translate everything just following the spanish PHB. But I'm asking about actual practices when playing a campaign. The main reason for it is personal experience. Facing fall damage [just at the begining of one adventure], one player in our party said
    P:"hago piruetas para reducir el daño de caída".
    To which our GM replied
    GM: "Ok, lanza un tumble"
    P: "¿Qué es tumble?"
    P2: "Tumble, la habilidad"
    P: "No tengo tumble en ninguna parte" *Shows spanish character sheet*
    From there it took us about 5 minutes to discover that "Piruetas" was tumble's translation
    Last edited by TKoTD; 2012-01-16 at 04:43 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by TKoTD View Post
    Presento una corrección ortográfica y de estilo básica:
    "Guardar" in spanish means "To Save", "Guard" could be translated either to "protejer", "cuidar" o "escoltar" (those are the first translations that i can thing of it).
    Nice catch

"Ésta" must come with the "é" even though in the last DRAE's version indicates that it's optional; widespread usage in printed media indicates it. I believe that "del" should be used instead of "de" when translating "Air Sigil", this way is clear that it is a sigil that represent the air, not one composed of air.
    Alright

Finally, I'm not sure about translating "Sigil" as "Runa", perhaps "Sello" or "signo" could be more accurate.
    Isn't "Sello" like a seal, like the ones made of wax that you put on a letter?
    "Signo" could work, but given how the sigils could be runes, like ancient runes, I'm kind of partial to that. Adds to mystery of what epic level mages like Durokan does.

Not sure about that change, but I find "Curioso" a more natural expresion in that kind of situation
    Ok, I'll put that in.

I have never played D&D in spanish, but i would guess that "Scroll" should be translate as "Pergamino" rather than "Rollo". Also, I beleive that traditional "barbarian" speak in spanish use infinitive verbs, being this correct Thog line should be "¡jaja! ellos no tener rollo"
    For Rollo, we figured a Barbarian would be more apt to call a scroll by that then pergamino. Which if you noticed is used a little ways down. As far as using the infinite, I am unsure, mostly cause Thog uses has and have correctly, as far as I can tell, when saying that Roy does not have the scroll, but Nale does have it.

Si Nale quería callar a la sílfide, entonces quiero oír lo que tiene por decir. ¿Vaarsuvius?
    Even tough "que tiene que decir" is an speech form, writing "que.. que" is not acceptable.
    Lo que tiene por decir is better then? Or would it be better to change it to "Lo que va a decir"

IDK if this has already been discused, but "WTH?" should be "¿qué demonios? [in Colombia we would say "¿Qué putas?", but that's just us]"
    Right, que demonios is better. Less offensive than the one used in Colombia at least.

Fuiste transmutada en piedra
    "Transmutar" is a word that appears in the DRAE... "transmutar.

(Del lat. transmutāre).

1. tr. Mudar o convertir algo en otra cosa. U. t. c. prnl."

¡Durante mil años!
    Thank you for the corrections.

---------
    Sip. Todos tus seres queridos murieron hace mucho
    ---------
    Nah, te estoy tomando el pelo. "Ha pasado una hora, máximo."/"Cuando mucho ha pasado una hora."
    ---------
    ¡ay! ¡thog lastimado!
    ---------
    "han sido muertos" is a non-existing expression (as many of my broken english phrases)...
    Those corrections look better than mine, I'll put it in. And... Oops about the non-existing expression.

Thx for your answer, and I understand that we could translate everything just following the spanish PHB. But I'm asking about actual practices when playing a campaign.
    I'll leave that to be answered who has played in Spanish then. I've never played in Spanish and the group I do play with only has one other Spanish speaker.

That being said, I put #70 up on the first page.

Here is a draft of #15, Tiempo Familiar.
    Spoiler
    Show

----------
    Roy: ¡Bostezo! Tontos miembros del partido que no son confiables...
    Eugene: Roy... Roy...
    ----------
    Roy: ¿Hay alguien llamándome?
    ----------
    Eugene: No, Roy. Estoy gritando "¡Roy! ¡Roy!" por el placer de hacerlo/por puro gusto.
    Roy: ¡Ah!
    --------------
    Roy: ¿¿Padre?? Pero... tu y madre son muertos.
    Eugene: Sí, algo chistoso de ser una fantasma es que tiene algunos requisitos previos ásperas.
    -----------
    Eugene: Ya deja de ser soprendido de incredidulidad y eschucha a esto: "Cuando el cabra se torne grana acertará".
    ------------
    Roy: ¿Qúe? No... No entiendo.
    Eugene: Por supuesto no lo entiendes, es Presagio.
    Roy: ¿Presagio?
    --------------
    Eugene: Buenos dioses, chavo, es un tecnica literaria común utilizado para crear tensión al insuanar a cosas porvenir. ¿No te ensañaran nada de eso lujoso Colegio de Guerrero a que te envié?
    --------------
    Eugene: Por supuesto, tu madre te quiso ser mago, pero noooo. Tuve que pagar 40.000 gp por año de matriculación para que pudieras aprender a blandir una espada grande.
    Roy: Se llama un espadón, Padre.
    -----------------
    Eugene: Feh. Pues estoy jugando canasta con algunos archones este noche. Tengo que ir.
    Roy: ¡Espere, padre!
    -----------------
    Eugene: Acuérdese, Roy: "Cuando el cabra se torne grana acertará".
    -----------------
    Eugene: ¿Y qúe, no tienen clerigos dónde vives? ¿Se mata a Hablar con los Muertos a vez en cuando para que tu madre e yo sabemos cómo estás?
    ------------------

So... For the small prophesy that Eugene gives, what I have down is the best suggestion that has been given thus far.
    Also, what is a good way to translate gp?
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2012-01-16 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Added "15

8. - Top - End - #98

Putting up a draft of #16 Vuelta de la Frase.

Spoiler
    Show

------------------
    Roy: Te levantas temprano.
    V: Tecnicamente, no duermo.
    Roy: Uñe al club.
    -----------------
    Roy: Oye, V, ¿Cúanto sabes de espíritus?
    V: Mi conocimiento de los habitantes del inframundo es incomparable.
    Roy: Creo que estaba visitaba por un fantasma.
    -----------------
    Durkon: ¿Un fåntåsmå? ¡EXPULSIÓN DE MUERTØS VIVIENTES!
    Roy: ¡Gah!
    V: ¡Mis ojos!
    ----------------
    Roy: Durkon, solo estamos hablando. No hay muertos vivientes aquí. Duérmate.
    Durkon: Øh. Lø sientø.
    ----------------
    V: ¿Entonces recibiste un mensaje de más allá del velo? ¿Sin duda un mensaje de importancia?
    Roy: Sí, supongo. Eso, y una viaje de culpa.
    ---------------
    V: En mi experiencia, hay que siempre seguir tal misivas de la tumba. La manera en la cual los humanos a menuda pasar por alto tal presagios me aterroriza.
    ---------------
    Durkon: ¿Un Necråriø återrørizånte? ¡EXPULSIÓN DE MUERTØS VIVIENTES!
    Roy: ¡Argh! ¡Rayos, Durkon!
    -------------
    Durkon: Ågh, lø sientø, lø sientø. Ødiø å løs muertøs vivientes tåntø. Nø øcurrirá øtra vez. Umm, Entønces vølver å dørmir!
    ----------------
    Roy: DE TODOS MODOS... Creo que el espíritu fue mi padre.
    V: ¿De veras? Entonces yo tomaría más en cuento sus palabras, en que tal signos son raras.
    ------------
    Roy: Supongo que significa él y mi madre están cuidándome, lo cual es genial.
    --------------
    Durkon: Un lich está vinculandø necrófågøs? ¡EXPULSIÓN DE MUERTØS VIVIENTES!
    Roy: Ok, ya estás empujándolo.
    V: ¡Dulce dioses misericordiosos, mis ojos inútiles pobres!
    -------------

So although there is not anything linking Ghast (Necrario) to any word meaning aghast, I did put in terrifying at both so it leads off it, to preserve sounds.

I am not sure how to make Roy say anything that might vaguely sound like Lich, or necrófagos either... But that was loose anyways. Still not sure how to resolve it though.

9. - Top - End - #99

OldWizardGuy

Here are a few corrections

Spoiler
    Show

------------------
    Roy: Uñe al club. (I asume "Uñe" is a mispell, because I have never heard it. Here in Argentina we use "Bienvenido al Club" rather than "Unete al Club". I don't know how they say it in Spain or Latin America, but if it's the same for the rest I say we change it)
    -----------------
    Roy: Creo que estaba visitaba por un fantasma. "Creo que fui visitado por un fantasma" would be better, in my opinion.
    -----------------
    Durkon: ¿Un fåntåsmå? ¡EXPULSIÓN DE MUERTØS VIVIENTES!
    Roy: ¡Gah!
    ----------------
    Roy: Durkon, solo estamos hablando. No hay muertos vivientes aquí. Duérmate.
    ----------------
    V: ¿Entonces recibiste un mensaje de más allá del velo? ¿Sin duda un mensaje de importancia?
    Roy: Sí, supongo. Eso, y una viaje de culpa.
    ---------------
    V: En mi experiencia, hay que siempre seguir tales misivas de la tumba. La manera en la cual los humanos a menudo pasan por alto tales presagios me aterroriza.
    ---------------
    Durkon: ¿Un Necråriø återrørizånte? ¡EXPULSIÓN DE MUERTØS VIVIENTES!
    -------------
    Durkon: Ågh, lø sientø, lø sientø. Ødiø å løs muertøs vivientes tåntø. Nø øcurrirá øtra vez. Umm, Entønces vølver å dørmir!
    ----------------
    Roy: DE TODOS MODOS... Creo que el espíritu fue mi padre.
    V: ¿De veras? Entonces yo tomaría más en cuenta sus palabras, ya que tales signos son raros.
    ------------
    Roy: Supongo que significa él y mi madre están cuidándome, lo cual es genial.
    --------------
    Durkon: Un lich está vinculandø necrófågøs? ¡EXPULSIÓN DE MUERTØS VIVIENTES!
    Roy: Ok, ya estás empujándolo.
    V: ¡Dulce dioses misericordiosos, mis ojos inútiles pobres!
    -------------
    TKoTD:

I beleive "Runa" is more appropiate for Sigil. Both "Sello" and "Signo" have several meanings, wich makes them confusing. Sigil has only one meaning in English and Runa just one in spanish.

Altough gramaticaly, "lo que tiene por decir" is more appropiate than "lo que tiene que decir", for me it's unnatural. I have never heard anybody talk like that. In a formal literary work the change may be apropiate, but OotS uses everyday expressions in their dialogue. Of course, I don't know if using "por" is common in Spain or other parts of Latin America, but my vote is to keep the double "que".

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Denamort View Post

Altough gramaticaly, "lo que tiene por decir" is more appropiate than "lo que tiene que decir", for me it's unnatural. I have never heard anybody talk like that. In a formal literary work the change may be apropiate, but OotS uses everyday expressions in their dialogue. Of course, I don't know if using "por" is common in Spain or other parts of Latin America, but my vote is to keep the double "que".
    We could put it to be "Lo que va a decir" instead. That is another option. Thank you also for the correcting my embarrassing mistakes.

11. - Top - End - #101

I put #16 up, and I'll be looking at #12-15 rough drafts, see if I can answer any of my questions I posted.

Here is a draft of #17, Ingenio de Estoque (I am not sure if there is a matching but differently worded phrase in Spanish)

Spoiler
    Show

-----------
    Roy: Cuidaría a Vaarsuvius y Gatillo Alegre mientras preparan sus hechiceros. Ustedes tres furtivos, explorar o algo.
    Durkon: Lø sientø
    -----------
    Belkar: ¿Porqúe tenemos que traer Elan? Él es totalmente inútil.
    Haley: No es totalmente inútil, es.... uso con deficiencias.
    Elan: ¡Gracias, Haley!
    Haley: No ayudas.
    --------------
    Belkar: ¡Bah! ¿Elan, aún llevas una arma?
    Elan: ¡Sí! Tengo un estoque.
    --------------
    Belkar: ¿Llamas esa delgadón una arma? ¡Yo pudiera romperlo al hablar en voz alta!
    Elan: ¿Pero puedes hacer esto?
    --------------
    Elan: ¡Ta da!
    Muro: ¡La Order del Palo estaba aquí!
    Belkar: Wow, ok, Eso sí fue impresivo.
    Haley: ¡Genial!
    Trigak: ¡Y se hace nuestro trabajo de encontrarles más facil!
    -------------
    Belkar: ¿Apenas fallamos nuestras tiradas de Escuchar y de Avistar, No?
    Trigak: Sí, grandemente.
    ------------
    Belkar: ¡Rayos!
    -------------

Not sure if "Grandemente" works for "big time" though. Or if I sufficiently translated trigger happy correctly.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

It's gonna be very difficult accomplish your guidelines (which I see are correct and serious) if you're not a native speaker. Gender and regionalism will make your head ache.
    In general, I find the translation to be a little too spanish. Sounds wierd to hear "Escójeme" or "De veras" in the mouth of these characters, not to speak of the very insular "vosotros" conjugation. I'd use "elígeme" and "de verdad?" o "en serio".

Also, you are being too literal in some dialogues. Like in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Haley: ... pues las Botas de Velocidad eran bien poderosos, pero eran, como, el color de verde lima.
    Vaarsuvius: Yo veo. Fue un enigma serio que tuvisteis.

I would rather say

Spoiler
    Show
    Haley: entonces las Botas de Velocidad eran bien poderosas, pero eran, como decir, verde lima.
    Vaarsuvius: A un grave aprieto tuviste que enfrentarte.

Temptation for regionalism is overwhelming. I would translate "pero eran, tipo, verde lima" which I find a lot more accurate than that (and very argentinian, or even bonaerense, for most), but at least this way the meaning is clear and the tense is easy to read.

I teach spanish for the foreigns here in Buenos Aires. I wish I had the time to help you with this, I really apreciate your effort for it is not a simple task. I will try to post here often.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    In this vein, one thing I didn't mention earlier is about monster names. The OP proposed "duendes" for elves, and "trasgos" for goblins. But trasgo is a regionalism of north Spain (I had never heard the word). I have always seen goblins translated as "duendes" (which the OP uses for elves). This is mostly due to the many different elves which exist. It seems odd that Harry Potter's house-elf and Galadriel are both called elves. the house-elf in Spanish is a "duende", but mostly because it really looks like a goblin. For Tolkien-style elves, you know, pretty, smart, fair skinned and so on, some Tolkien translations use the word "elfo", which I hate, but again, don't have a better one. Since "orc" is "orco", and given "elfo", we just should call dwarves "dwarfos" and call it a day. Not to get started with other fantasy elements, which could get really hard to translate as well.
    Oh, here I can be useful. In my translation of The Hobbit is used the word "trasgo" for goblin, I'm quite familiar with the word and there's even a band called that in my town. I'm argentinian too. I see no problem with that even if it is a obscure term, I think is better than that awful transliteration ("góblines")

Here's my try with Strip 7.

Strip 7
    Spoiler
    Show
    Panel 1: Durkon: Elan se encuentra mal... y ya no tengo más CHG.
    Roy: Haz lo que puedas, Durkon.
    Panel 2: Durkon: Gran Thor, tu humilde sirviente te pide ayuda en su hora de necesidad.
    Panel 3: Voz: Hola! Y bienvenido a PlegariasThor(c)
    Panel 4: Voz: Para continuar en Común entone "uno" ahora. Ech tod kodo kra'th sh... "deth" frek.
    Durkon: mmm... "Uno!"
    Panel 5: Voz: Si conoce el nombre del milagro que desea solicitar, entone "uno" ahora.
    Durkon: Uno!
    Panel 6: Voz: Por favor, entone las primeras tres letras del nombre del milagro ahora.
    Durkon: Bueno, quiero aliviarte, así que... "A-L-I"
    Panel 7: Voz: Ha seleccionado, "Aliento Horrible". Si esto es correcto, entone "uno". Si no, entone "dos"
    Durkon: Dos!
    Panel 8: Voz: Ha seleccionado, "Alimañas Voraces". Si esto es correcto, entone "uno". Si no, entone "dos"
    Durkon: Dos! DOS!
    Panel 9: Voz: Ha seleccionado, "Destrucción". Para elegir el tipo de "Destrucción" con el que castigar a los enemigos de Thor, entone "tres" ahora.
    Durkon: Tres. No! Rayos!
    Panel 10: Voz: Ha seleccionado "Destrucción por Rayos".
    Durkon: AAAH!!
    Elan: Emm... ¿No podría tal vez tomar una poción?

jajajajaja (spanish laughs)
    This is remarkable, nice one, Denarmont.
    Last edited by zql; 2012-01-18 at 01:50 AM.
    but just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can’t something be wrong...and priceless?

13. - Top - End - #103

OldWizardGuy

Thanks Zql, although "Aliento Horrible", "Alimañas..." and "destrucción por rayos" were not my ideas. I would search in the previous post who came up with it, but I'm too lazy. Basically, someone post a version of the strip and we propose corrections until we get a more polished version. When we are done, EmperorSarda adds it to the first post.

I'm also Argentinian, and from Buenos Aires, so I was familiar with the translation "Trasgo", but aparently not everyone is. I don't like the word anyway, so we settle with "Goblin" (plural "Goblins"), just like in english. Everyone knows what a Goblin is, I would be surprised to find someone who would be confused by it.

The names for creatures are:
    Goblin - Goblin
    Elf - Elfo
    Dwarf - Enano
    Orc -Orco

There is no word for Orc in Spanish, obviously. Dwarf are Enanos, as in "Snowhite and the Seven Dwarves"/"Blancanieves y los Siete Enanitos". Elves are duendes, but that works for elves like Dobby (or Pixies, or Leprachauns, or Polttergeist or Goblins or Gremlins). "Duendes" has become in spanish an equivalent for "Tiny Magical Creature". But Tolkien's Elves are not the traditional elves, so we use Elfos. Goblins can be both Trasgo and Duende, so to avoid any confusion we left it as Goblin.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Coco and Nachoman, read some of the grammar discussions. We talked about using Goblin instead of Trasgo. We are trying for an international sort of translation.

For "camisote de mallas", I understood it that cota de malla is a better translation. Also for Durkon since he speaks in an accent, we thought making some of the vowels Nordic would help with that.

Coco, I'll change Uh to Oooh for Roy. Since you pointed out the sentence about Roy feeling more intimidating, do you have any suggestions for it?

Trasgo and camisote de mallas are the translation in the spanish handbooks, also trasgo (wich is more gentle to say in spanish than Goblin) appears in lotr spanish edition.

I don't think is worth it to keep the joke about Durkon having an accent. Is just not worth it and can't be done.

15. - Top - End - #105

OldWizardGuy

Yes, Trasgo is in the LotR spanish edition, but as it was discussed before, not everyone is familiar with the word. The word is from Spanish folklore, and a particular province at that (Asturias was it? Someone mention it at some point, I'm to lazy to search the other post). Only those that have the spanish version of LotR or are from spain are familiar with the word. On the other hand, everyone seems to be familiar with the word Goblin, so we decided to just keep it.

We choose to ignore the translations from the manual and use the ones that are more widely understood. Camisote is a word rarely use, while Cota is much more common. Both words describe the same object, so we choose to use Cota.

Why remove Durkon's accent? Using the weird O and A make's it look Nordic, wich gives the same effect as with the Scottish accent. Just by doing that little change we can keep jokes like the one were Roy reads Durkon's Letter in 305 or Belkarls joke in 130.

16. - Top - End - #106

Yeah, with a lot of things we are going with familiarity rather than the exact term. Just like we are avoiding regionalisms like "chevere" and whatnot.

17. - Top - End - #107

Draft for #18, Sopresa Doble
    Spoiler
    Show

------------
    Belkar: ¿Qúe demonios es ese cosa?
    Elan: No sé – Debería haber fallado mi tirada de bárdica tradición.
    ------------
    Trigak: Somos el quimera Trigak.
    Trigak: Xykon sabe que han matado muchos goblines
    Trigak: Nos envió. Ya mueran.
    -------------
    Belkar: Estoy sorprendido.
    Elan: Yo también.
    Haley: Sí, pues, déjeme dar tu empleado este contra-propuesta:
    -----------
    Haley: ¡Furtiva Ataque!
    --------------
    Elan: psst – Haley, tienes iniciativo, ¡vas otra vez!
    Haley: Oh sí…
    ------------
    -----------
    Trigak: Wow, la primera ataque me sorprendió…
    Trigak: Pero REALMENTE no esperaba la segunda.
    Trigak: Tristes Furtivas Ataques.
    ------------

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Thanks Zql, although "Aliento Horrible", "Alimañas..." and "destrucción por rayos" were not my ideas. I would search in the previous post who came up with it, but I'm too lazy. Basically, someone post a version of the strip and we propose corrections until we get a more polished version. When we are done, EmperorSarda adds it to the first post.

I'm also Argentinian, and from Buenos Aires, so I was familiar with the translation "Trasgo", but aparently not everyone is. I don't like the word anyway, so we settle with "Goblin" (plural "Goblins"), just like in english. Everyone knows what a Goblin is, I would be surprised to find someone who would be confused by it.

The names for creatures are:
    Goblin - Goblin
    Elf - Elfo
    Dwarf - Enano
    Orc -Orco
    Excellent choices.

We choose to ignore the translations from the manual and use the ones that are more widely understood. Camisote is a word rarely use, while Cota is much m
    ore common. Both words describe the same object, so we choose to use Cota.
    Another fine decision.

Draft for #18, Sopresa Doble
    Spoiler
    Show

------------
    Belkar: ¿Qúe demonios es ese cosa?
    Elan: No sé – Debería haber fallado mi tirada de bárdica tradición.
    ------------
    Trigak: Somos el quimera Trigak.
    Trigak: Xykon sabe que han matado muchos goblines
    Trigak: Nos envió. Ya mueran.
    -------------
    Haley: Sí, pues, déjeme dar tu empleado este contra-propuesta:
    -----------
    --------------
    Elan: psst – Haley, tienes iniciativo, ¡vas otra vez!
    ------------
    -----------
    Trigak: Wow, la primera ataque me sorprendió…
    Trigak: Pero REALMENTE no esperaba la segunda.
    Trigak: Tristes Furtivas Ataques.
    ------------

My version:

Spoiler
    Show

------------
    Belkar: ¿Qúe demonios es esa cosa?
    Elan: No sé – Debo haber fallado mi tirada de tradición bárdica.
    ------------
    Trigak: Somos la quimera Trigak.
    Trigak: Xykon sabe que han matado muchos goblins.
    Trigak: Nos envió. Ahora mueran.
    -------------
    Haley: Sí, pues, déjeme darle a su empleador esta contra-propuesta:
    -----------
    --------------
    Elan: psst – Haley, ganaste iniciativa, ¡vas otra vez!
    ------------
    Haley: ¡ATAQUE FURTIVO!
    -----------
    Trigak: Wow, ese primer ataque fue sorprendente…
    Trigak: Pero REALMENTE no esperaba el segundo.
    Trigak: Estupidos ataques furtivos.
    ------------

Doubts:

Bardic Lore could be "Folclore bárdico" insted of "Tradición bárdica", though the main idea it's clear in both cases. I'd like to see what the spanish manual says.

I read this strip and I believe that, though the three heads got only one name they are separate voices, so I think Haley would rather use the plural form: "Sí, pues, déjenme darle a su empleador esta contra-propuesta". But it might be just my impression.
    Last edited by zql; 2012-01-20 at 12:11 AM.
    but just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can’t something be wrong...and priceless?

19. - Top - End - #109

OldWizardGuy

The Bard's class feature is Bardic Knowledge, not Lore. This could be a mistake or just Elan refering his class feature diferently. The manual translates it as "Conocimiento de Bardo".

I also believe Haley would adress the Trigak in the plural form.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

There is no word for Orc in Spanish, obviously.
    There is indeed. "Orco", from latin "orcus", but it means Hell. It's not very used in that aception nowadays.

http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltCons...US=3&LEMA=elfo
    Last edited by Blas_de_Lezo; 2012-01-21 at 06:16 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground

It would be funny for comic #47 if Xykon says he can watch in English.

Google Translate if you want to use it.
    Last edited by PallElendro; 2012-01-21 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

22. - Top - End - #112

Just to be brief since I am running to class...

I will put those changes in from 18 as suggested, such as Haley speaking as if Trigak is more than one person and all that.

I do use Google translate on occasion, but only if I do not recognize a word. I try to use my own dictionary first.

Also, can someone look at the other strips that have yet to receive critique. 13-16 I believe.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Hi everyone! Is great to see so many spanish speakers in general (and argentinians in particular) in this thread!

So we are back in business!

Building over Denamort's version:
    #16 Vuelta de la Frase.

Spoiler
    Show

Roy: Bienvenido al club

Spoiler
    Show
    Uñe al club. (I asume "Uñe" is a mispell, because I have never heard it. Here in Argentina we use "Bienvenido al Club" rather than "Unete al Club". I don't know how they say it in Spain or Latin America, but if it's the same for the rest I say we change it)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed
    , My vote for "Bienvenido al club"

-----------------
    Roy: Creo que fui visitado por un fantasma
    Spoiler
    Show
    Creo que estaba visitaba por un fantasma. "Creo que fui visitado por un fantasma" would be better, in my opinion.Agreed

-----------------
    Durkon: ¿Un fåntåsmå? ¡EXPULSÅR MUERTØS VIVIENTES!
    Roy: ¡Aah!
    ----------------
    Roy: Durkon, solo estamos hablando. No hay muertos vivientes aquí. Duérmete.
    ----------------
    V: ¿Entonces ha recibido un mensaje de más allá del velo? ¿Sin duda un mensaje de importancia?
    Spoiler
    Show
    ¿Entonces recibiste un mensaje de más allá del velo? ¿Sin duda un mensaje de importancia?. V should never use "voseo" or other forms of informal speech, unless he is specifically doing it in the original

Roy: Sí supongo. Eso, y un viaje a la culpa
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sí, supongo. Eso, y una viaje de culpa. While "culpa" is female, "viaje" it's not, and that is the subject of the sentence. Futhermore, the exact translation of "guilt trip" is tricky, I know of it as "hacer la psicologica" (something like "used psychology", but i'm sure everyone has their preferred way of saying this. Soooo, "un viaje a la culpa" soundedlike a nice way to convey that Toy was led to guilt, a.k.a "guilt trip" )

---------------
    V: En mi experiencia, siempre hay que prestar atención a tales misivas de la tumba. La manera en la cual los humanos a menudo pasan por alto tales presagios me aterroriza.
    Spoiler
    Show
    En mi experiencia, hay que siempre seguir tal misivas de la tumba. La manera en la cual los humanos a menuda pasar por alto tal presagios me aterroriza. "Heed" means to pay attention, to listen and act accordingly.

---------------
    Durkon: ¿Un Necråriø que återrørizå? ¡EXPULSÅR MUERTØS VIVIENTES!
    V: ¡Mís ojos!
    Spoiler
    Show
    ¿Un Necråriø återrørizånte? My suggestion rimes a little better with what V says, to try to make the joke work

-------------
    Durkon: Ågh, lø sientø, lø sientø. Es que ødiø tåntø å løs muertøs vivientes. Nø øcurrirá øtra vez. Umm, Entønces de vueltå å dørmir!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ågh, lø sientø, lø sientø. Ødiø å løs muertøs vivientes tåntø. Nø øcurrirá øtra vez. Umm, Entønces vølver å dørmir! Reordering the words so it makes more sense

----------------
    Roy: DE TODOS MODOS... Creo que el espíritu, era mi padre.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Creo que el espíritu fue mi padre. The spirit did't stop being his father.

V: ¿De veras? Entonces yo tomaría aún más en cuenta sus palabras, ya que tales señales son raras.
    ------------
    Roy: Supongo que eso significa que él y mamá están allá arriba cuidándome, lo que es bastante genial.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Supongo que significa él y mi madre están cuidándome, lo cual es genial. Some meaning was lost

--------------
    Durkon: ¿Un liche estå vinculåndø necrófågøs? ¡EXPULSÅR MUERTØS VIVIENTES!

Roy: Ok, ahora ya te estás saliendo de tema.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, ya estás empujándolo. Honestly I'm not too happy with mine either, but "empujar" has little or nothing with "stretch" which means "estirar" but in this context, since Durkon is stretching the relationship between spoken words, I think that "getting out of topic" works... Thoughts?

V: ¡Dulces dioses misericordiosos, mis pobres e inútiles ojos!
    -------------
    Alternative for last joke, with some more rime, it's hard :
    Roy: Supongo que eso significa que él y mamá están allá arriba cuidándome. Sí que es bastante genial.
    Durkon: ¿Un liche, Peligrø Mortål? ¡EXPULSIÓN DE MUERTØS VIVIENTES!

Working on EmperorSarda's #17 Filo del estoque.
    (Works both for the "wit" part and as a joke, el estoque no tiene filo, jejeje
    Spoiler
    Show

-----------
    Roy: Cuidaré a Vaarsuvius y "Gatillo Alegre" mientras preparan sus hechizos. Ustedes tres, gente furtiva, a explorar o algo.
    Durkon: Je, perdøn.
    -----------
    Belkar: ¿Porqúe tenemos que traer a Elan? Es un inutil total.
    Haley: No es totalmente inútil, es.... deficienciente en su usabilidad.
    Elan: ¡Gracias, Haley!
    Haley: No ayudas.
    --------------
    Belkar: ¡Bah! ¿Elan, al menos traes un arma?
    Elan: ¡Sí! Tengo un estoque.
    --------------
    Belkar: ¿Llamas a esa cosa flacucha un arma? ¡Podría romperla hablando fuerte!
    Elan: ¡Pero puedes hacer esto!
    --------------
    Elan: ¡Ta da!
    Muro: ¡La Orden del Palo estuvo aquí!
    Belkar: Wow, ok, Eso sí es impresionante.
    Haley: ¡Genial!
    Trigak: ¡Y hace nuestro trabajo de encontrarles más facil!
    -------------
    Belkar: ¿Acabamos de fallar nuestras tiradas de Escuchar y de Avistar, No?
    Trigak: Oh Sí!
    Trigak: Totalmente.
    ------------
    Belkar: ¡RAYOS!
    -------------

Not sure if "Grandemente" works for "big time" though. Or if I sufficiently translated trigger happy correctly.

Grandemente, it's not used normally, if ever. I used a synonym.

Instead of "Gatillo Alegre" we could use "Gatillo Fácil" but it works nicely, IMO

Draft for #18, Sorpresa Doble
    Little things on zql's version... (Hola che!)
    Quote Originally Posted by zql View Post
    My version:

Spoiler
    Show

------------
    Belkar: ¿Qúe demonios es ESA cosa?
    Elan: No sé – Debo haber fallado mi tirada de Conocimiento de Bardo.
    ------------
    Trigak: Somos la quimera Trigak.
    Trigak: Xykon sabe que han matado muchos goblins.
    Trigak: Él nos envió. Ahora mueran.
    -------------
    Haley: Sí, pues, déjenme darle a su empleador esta contra-propuesta:
    -----------
    Haley: ¡Ataque Furtivo!
    --------------
    Elan: psst – Haley, ganaste iniciativa, ¡vas otra vez!
    Haley:Ah, sí.
    Spoiler
    Show
    MINOR NITPICKING: Haley was reminded by Elan to shoot again "Ah, sí" conveys that expression a little better while IMHO "Oh sí" sounds like "Oh yeah!"

------------
    Haley: ¡ATAQUE FURTIVO!
    -----------
    Trigak: Wow, ese primer ataque fue sorprendente…
    Trigak: Pero REALMENTE no esperaba el segundo.
    Trigak: Estúpidos ataques furtivos.
    ------------

On the voting for words to use, count me in for:
    Verdeespada, Runa, Rollo (for Tog)

Also IIRC, we agreed on:
    Goblin - Goblin
    Elf - Elfo
    Dwarf - Enano
    Orc - Orco

Mainly because everyone understand those words, so we sometimes end going against official translations...
    Last edited by Zigg'rrauglurr; 2012-01-23 at 09:43 PM.
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

24. - Top - End - #114

[QUOTE=Zigg'rrauglurr;12585921]

Roy: Supongo que eso significa que él y mamá están allá arriba cuidándome. Sí que es bastante genial.
    Durkon: ¿Un liche, Peligrø Mortål? ¡EXPULSIÓN DE MUERTØS VIVIENTES!
    I like that, it fits just as well.

Ok, ya estás empujándolo. Honestly I'm not too happy with mine either, but "empujar" has little or nothing with "stretch" which means "estirar" but in this context, since Durkon is stretching the relationship between spoken words, I think that "getting out of topic" works... Thoughts?
    Is there a better way to say that Durkon is getting out of hand, that things are getting a little crazy? Unless "Getting out of topic" is a dicho or saying that I am not familiar with, I don't think it fits what Roy is saying. And as you say, mine is too literal.

For the other suggestions, I edited the strip.

Working on EmperorSarda's #17 Filo del estoque.
    (Works both for the "wit" part and as a joke, el estoque no tiene filo, jejeje

Roy: Cuidaré a Vaarsuvius y "Gatillo Alegre" mientras preparan sus hechizos. Ustedes tres, gente furtiva, a explorar o algo.
    Why wouldn't it be "Vayan a explorar o algo."

And for "Al menos traes un arma", would "por lo menos fit better"?

Draft for #18, Sorpresa Doble
    Little things on zql's version... (Hola che!)
    Thanks for the corrections, I'll put #18 up

Also, here is the link to my drafts of strips 12-14, if those can be looked at some so they can go up. And #15 At the bottom of that post.

I also spoilered the first 18 or so translated strips to conserve room in the first post.

And here is a draft for #19 -- ¡Evitir!
    Spoiler
    Show

----------------
    Belkar: ¡Necisitamos atacar!
    Elan: ¿Cómo? ¡Rompiste mi estoque!
    Haley: ¡Cuidado, la cabeza de dragon!
    --------------
    Haley: ¡Evasión!
    --------------
    Belkar: ¡A la ataque!
    Elan: Evadir, evadir la contraataque inevitable.
    ---------------
    Haley: Necisitamos salir de aqui/correr. Es demasiado fuerte!
    Elan: Crearé una ilusión astuta para destraerle miente corrimos.
    -------------
    Elan: ¡Corren!
    Belkar: Hay que estar bromeando.
    ----------------
    Trigak: Lo siento, estoy en una relación estable ahora.
    Trigak: No es problema contigo, es con nosotros.
    Trigak: ¡Siguémoslos!
    ----------------
    Haley: Awww, eso es dulce.
    Belkar: Buen distracción idiota, ¡está destras de nosotros!
    Elan: Oye, ¿cómo debería saber que no es un mujeriego?
    Elan: Nunca dices "mujeriego" otra vez.
    ---------------

I am not sure how 'playa' translates, so I used mujeriego. While I am not sure if it is exactly the same as 'playa', I think it is internationally recognized. I was thinking of using something like 'papi chulo', but I don't know how widely recognized that is.
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2012-01-25 at 03:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

*snip*
    For the other suggestions, I edited the strip.

Why wouldn't it be "Vayan a explorar o algo."

And for "Al menos traes un arma", would "por lo menos fit better"?
    "a explorar o algo" and "Vayan a explorar o algo" are both orders. My version is more informal and I tried to give the feeling of Roy's being fed up and cranky, so he told the other 3 to "go away, shoo"

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda
    Thanks for the corrections, I'll put #18 up
    You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda
    And here is a draft for #19 -- ¡Evitir!
    Spoiler
    Show

----------------
    Belkar: ¡Necisitamos atacar!
    Haley: ¡Cuidado, la cabeza de dragon!
    --------------
    --------------
    Belkar: ¡A la ataque!
    Elan: Evadir, evadir la contraataque inevitable.
    ---------------
    Haley: Necisitamos salir de aqui/correr. Es demasiado fuerte!
    Elan: Crearé una ilusión astuta para destraerle miente corrimos.
    -------------
    Elan: ¡Corren!
    Belkar: Hay que estar bromeando.
    ----------------
    Trigak: Lo siento, estoy en una relación estable ahora.
    Trigak: No es problema contigo, es con nosotros.
    Trigak: ¡Siguémoslos!
    ----------------
    Haley: Awww, eso es dulce.
    Belkar: Buen distracción idiota, ¡está destras de nosotros!
    Elan: Oye, ¿cómo debería saber que no es un mujeriego?
    Elan: Nunca dices "mujeriego" otra vez.
    ---------------

I am not sure how 'playa' translates, so I used mujeriego. While I am not sure if it is exactly the same as 'playa', I think it is internationally recognized. I was thinking of using something like 'papi chulo', but I don't know how widely recognized that is.
    My version:
    #19 -- ¡Evadir!
    Spoiler
    Show

----------------
    Belkar: ¡Necesitamos atacar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Buena conjugación! :)

Haley: ¡Cuidado, la cabeza de dragón!
    Spoiler
    Show
    "¡Cuidado con la cabeza de dragón!" would sound more natural IMO. Remember we are not translating literally, we are trying to create a naturally flowing text

--------------
    --------------
    Belkar: ¡Al ataque!
    Elan: Evadan, evadan el inevitable contraataque .
    ---------------
    Haley: Necesitamos salir de aquí. Es demasiado fuerte!
    Elan: Crearé una astuta ilusión para distraerle mientras corremos.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "astuta": Adjectives generally go before subjects .Corrimos is in past tense

-------------
    Elan: ¡Corran!
    Belkar: Tienes/Tenés/Tenéis que estar bromeando.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The correct option depends on regionalism, "Tenéis" is for Spain, Tenés is for Argentina, maybe Mexico, Chile & Uruguay. I vote for the first as it's the most neutral one.

----------------
    Trigak: Lo sentimos, estamos en una relación estable en este momento.
    Trigak: No son ustedes, somos nosotros.
    Trigak: ¡Tras ellos! (or "Sigámoslos")
    Spoiler
    Show
    We stablished that manticores would refer to themselves as plural entities.

----------------
    Haley: Awww, Es tán dulce.
    Belkar: Buena distracción idiota; ¡Está detrás de nosotros!
    Spoiler
    Show
    ¡Nos está pisando los talones! is the expression I'm familiar with for "right on our tails"

Elan: Oye, ¿Cómo debería saber que no era un mujeriego?
    Belkar: Nunca digas"mujeriego" otra vez.
    ---------------

Mujeriego, playa and the punch line:
    "Mujeriego" is womanizer in English. It's the most accurate translation of Playa' , but it isn't as funny.
    So proposed alternative:
    Elan: Ey, ¿cómo podia saber que no era un "m'asho" (Macho)?
    Belkar: Nunca digas "m'asho"" otra vez.
    M'asho or Macho, not as in male gender, but as in a stereotipcal male that always hits on any girl at range... my 2 cents.

------
    Edit, So I don't double post...

Building over TKoTD's version #70 Eso es/fue canalla

Spoiler
    Show

---------
    Haley: V, ¿No és ésta la chica que protegía la Runa del Aire?
    Roy: Curioso. No recuerdo que alguien protegiera la Runa de la Tierra

---------
    V: Yo Supondría que el drow la petrificó a nuestras espaldas
    Roy: ¿Puedes volverla a la normalidad?
    ---------
    Thog: jaja! ellos no tener rollo!

---------
    Thog: ja! tonto hombre hablador no tener rollo que nale tener. ja!
    ---------
    Roy: Ya lo veremos. ¿Haley?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I still believe "Una tirada de buscar, a la orden" It's more in keeping with the D&D universe

---------
    Spoiler
    Show
    I keep voting for " Romper Encantamiento", but if I have been outvoted, no problem.

Roy: Si Nale quería callar a la sílfide, entonces quiero oír lo que tiene por decir. ¿Vaarsuvius?
    ---------
    Spoiler
    Show
    ¡Romper Encantamiento! Again...

V: Ups.
    ---------
    V: Había sido transmutada en piedra.
    Spoiler
    Show
    V should be kept verbose and longwinded

Nale: ¡Durante mil años!
    ---------
    Nale: Sip. Todos tus seres queridos murieron hace mucho.
    ---------
    Nale: Nah, te estoy tomando el pelo. Ha pasado una hora, máximo.
    ---------
    Nale: Valió la pena completamente.
    Thog: ¡AAAAAH! ¡thog doler!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thog should be the exact opposite of V, short and if possible avoid conjugations

---------

#12, Subir un Nivel, Bajar un Nivel
    Spoiler
    Show

-----------
    Roy: Por fin, ¡las escaleras hacia abajo!
    Haley: Uuuuh, ¡Ese clérigo goblin valía 1000 xp!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Question, is there any agreement to use either: xp, exp or experiencia for xp

-----------
    Roy: ¡Hora de bajar un nivel!
    Haley: ¡Hora de subir un nivel!
    ------------
    Roy: ¿Subir un nivel? Pero ya hicimos eso.
    Haley: Claro, ahora lo hacemos de nuevo.
    Roy: ¿Porqúe, que hay en el nivel más arriba?
    Haley: ¡Más ataques furtivos!
    -------------
    Roy: ¿¿Qué?? ¿¿Estarémos sujetos a un ataque furtivo si subimos un nivel??
    Haley: No, tonto, solo yo.
    Roy: ¿Quieres subir un nivel para recibir un ataque furtivo?
    Haley: Naturalmente.
    ------------------
    Roy: Para Nada. Es demasiado peligroso. En lugar de eso, bajaremos un nivel.
    Haley: ¿Bajar un nivel? No necesitarías, no se, un vampiro o algo parecido para lograr eso.
    Roy: ¿Eh?
    ----------------
    Haley: De todos modos, ¿Qué obtenemos si bajamos un nivel?
    Roy: ¡Monstruos más fuertes!
    Haley: ¿Quieres bajar un nivel y luchar contra monstruos más fuertes?
    Roy: Por supuesto.
    ---------------
    Haley: ¿No tendría mas sentido subir un nivel antes de luchar con monstruos más fuertes?
    Roy: No, ya completamos este nivel. Deberiamos bajar.
    -------------
    Haley: ¡Subir!
    Roy: ¡Bajar!
    Haley: ¡Subir!
    Roy: ¡Bajar!
    Vaarsuvius: ¡Ajá! ¡Un nuevo nivel de hechizos!
    Roy: N - I - V - E - L.
    V: ¿Eh?
    -----------------
    Roy: Deletreé "nivel".
    V: Pero usted es un guerrero, no puede aprender niveles de hechizos.
    Spoiler
    Show
    V should be kept formal and longwinded

--------------
    Roy: ¿No puedo aprender a deletrear? ¿Es otra broma acerca de que los guerreros no somos inteligentes? Ya está bien, bajaremos un nivel.
    Haley: ¡Subiremos un nivel!
    V: Si bajamos un nivel, perderé mi nivel de hechizos.
    Roy: N - I - V - E - L.
    V: ¿¿EH??
    Belkar: ¿Cúantas tonterias tenemos que soportar diariamente porque nadie en TSR buscó "nivel" en un diccionario?

Yeah, I know Roy means piso instead of level, but I am not sure there is another word they both can use to mean the same thing.
    Anyone know what the official Spanish term for Sneak attack is?
    Nivel works for the joke. sneak attack is "Ataque furtivo". And I linked to a page with tons of translations, regretably, sneak attack wasn't among them.
    Also, the joke about spelling and spells does not work at all translated. Is there any word that is close to spelling and spells that we could use, or shall it leave be left be?
    I don't think it can be made to work. So the best thing to do is to translate it as best as possible. With any luck, anyone who reads this, will understand the joke.

#13, ¡Trama a la vista!
    Spoiler
    Show

----------
    Roy: Las escaleras hacia abajo, ¡Estamos un paso mas cerca de nuestra meta!
    Haley: ¿Porqúe no dijiste simplemente que querías bajar un piso?
    Belkar: ¿Tenemos una meta?
    -----------------
    Roy: Claro. ¿Porqúe piensas que estábamos aquí?
    Belkar: Pues, creí que vagaríamos por ahí, mataríamos algunos seres inteligentes porque tenían piel verde y colmillos y nosotros no, y despues tomaríamos sus cosas.
    -----------------
    Belkar: ¿Qúe?
    ----------------
    Elan: Por supuesto que tenemos una meta, Belkar. Déjame compartirlo contigo...
    Roy: Oh no, aquí vamos...
    ---------------
    Elan: Buscamos en la profunda y oscura Mazmorra de Dorukan, un horrible pozo lleno con malignos monstruos.
    Haley: ¡Y tesoro!
    Spoiler
    Show
    What do you think of: "Nos aventuramos en la profunda y oscura... "

---------------
    Elan: Creado por el loco lich Xykon, un hechicero no-muerto eloquecido por su propio poder.
    Elan: ¡Ooo, lich malo!
    Haley: ¡Y tesoro!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I honestly thing we should use "Liche", no real basis for it, it just sounds better in Spanish

---------------
    Elan: ¡Pero derribaremos al Xykon y haremos segura la campiña otra vez!
    Haley: ¡Y tesoro! Espera... eso no tiene sentido.
    ------------
    Belkar: Esta idea del "tesoro" me intriga, y quiero aprender más.
    Durkon: ¿Cómø håz hechø müchåchø, cøn lås imágenes?
    Elan: Mi más nuevo hechizo de Bardo: ¡Invocar Exposición de Trama!

#14, El Porque Roy Siempre Está Cansado.
    Spoiler
    Show

--------------
    V: Señor Espadaverde, lamento informarte que he lanzado todos excepto uno de mis hechizos estremecedores de mundos.
    Spoiler
    Show
    mmm? "estremece-mundos"... world-shattering does not have many translations...

Durkon: Åjå, cåsi se me åcåbån å mi tåmbién, müchåchø.
    Roy: Mmm. Ok, acamparemos aquí.
    ----------------
    Roy: V y Durkon dormirán toda la noche, tomaré la primera guardia. Haley, toma la segunda.
    Haley: ¡Entendido!
    -------------
    Haley: Jee, ¡Mío! ¡Todo mío! Jajajaja
    ------------
    Roy: Espera... pensándolo bien, Belkar toma la segunda guardia .
    Belkar: ¡Rayos!
    -------------
    Belkar: ¡Muajaja! ¡Tengo profundos problemas emocionales! ¡Muere! ¡Muere! ¡Muere!
    ------------
    Roy: ¡No! No, espera, em, Que tal si descansas y dejamos a Elan-
    -----------
    Goblin: Hola, ¿Estamos aquí para matar a todos?
    Elan: ¡OK!
    ----------
    Roy: *Suspiro*. Parece que estaré despierto toda la noche.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the correct line here would be:
    Roy: *Suspiro*. Parece otra trasnochada para mí. trasnoche/trasnochada is the closest to "all nighter" in spanish.

------------
    Last edited by Zigg'rrauglurr; 2012-01-26 at 02:03 PM.
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

26. - Top - End - #116

Ok, I put up 17-19 on the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigg'rrauglurr View Post
    "astuta": Adjectives generally go before subjects .Corrimos is in past tense
    I thought it was the reverse... that the adjective follows. Coche verde, not verde coche.

¡Cuidado con la cabeza de dragón!" would sound more natural IMO. Remember we are not translating literally, we are trying to create a naturally flowing text
    Yeah, I sometimes have trouble remembering that. Thanks for correcting me.

Mujeriego, playa and the punch line:
    "Mujeriego" is womanizer in English. It's the most accurate translation of Playa' , but it isn't as funny.
    So proposed alternative:

M'asho or Macho, not as in male gender, but as in a stereotipcal male that always hits on any girl at range... my 2 cents.
    Ok. We'll use that. I didn't know anything funny, so this should do.

Building over TKoTD's version #70 Eso es/fue canalla
    Thog: jaja! ellos no tener rollo!
    I am hesitant to change Thog's conjugacion of the verb tener because in English he does change between has and have correctly...

Roy: Ya lo veremos. ¿Haley?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I still believe "Una tirada de buscar, a la orden" It's more in keeping with the D&D universe
    You're right. I'll change that.

Spoiler
    Show
    I keep voting for " Romper Encantamiento", but if I have been outvoted, no problem.
    The glossary lists it as that, so I'll change that too.

V: Había sido transmutada en piedra.
    Spoiler
    Show
    V should be kept verbose and longwinded
    Well... He isn't exactly long winded here, he is cut off. But would changing 'Había' to 'Habíais' be any improvement?

Thog should be the exact opposite of V, short and if possible avoid conjugations
    I agree in this instance, lastimado doesn't fit so much. Change implemented.

Draft for #20 -- Arcanolipsis Ahora
    Spoiler
    Show

-----------
    Roy: ¿Terminaste?
    V: Sí. Mi repertario de hechizos está renovado.
    -------------
    V: Mi cerebro está lleno con el poder arcano que amenaza brotar. Es un nuevo día, y el amanecer, mientras invisible/escondido, saluda a mi recién renovado poder místico.
    -------------
    V: Si sólo tuviera un objecto para apuntar mi gran poder...
    -------------
    Trigak: ¡Xykon les envia muerte!
    Haley: ¡Ayuda! ¡Roy! ¡V!
    ---------------
    Roy: Es todo tuyo, huey.
    --------------
    V: Amo al oler del guano de murciélago...
    V: Huele de.... victoria.
    --------------
    V: ¡Bola de Fuego!
    Trigak: ¡Aaaaay!
    ---------------
    V: ¡Rayo Relampagueante!
    Trigak: ¡Aaaaay!
    --------------
    V: ¡Tentáculos Espinados de Intrusión Forzada de Evan!
    Trigak: Espere, ¿Qúe?
    -------------
    Roy: Uuf, eso TIENE que estar incomodo.
    Elan: No puedo mirar.
    Belkar: En el futuro, acuérdame a esperar por la tarde antes de insultar a Vaarsuvius.
    Trigak: El horror... ¡El horror!
    Belkar: A lo más temprano.

And I just saw your comments Zigg for the other comments.

Question, is there any agreement to use either: xp, exp or experiencia for xp
    I don't think it has come up. It just decided to leave it alone. Does it make sense in Spanish? I have no problem with using experiencia.

V should be kept formal and longwinded
    Ok... would a better phrasing of V saying to Roy that he cannot cast spells be "Pero usted es un guerrero, no es posible aprender hechizos, ni si lo lee y trata deletrearlo." instead of "Pero usted es un guerrero, no puede aprender niveles de hechizos"?

For #13
    What do you think of: "Nos aventuramos en la profunda y oscura... "
    I think it works better that simply saying buscamos.

I honestly thing we should use "Liche", no real basis for it, it just sounds better in Spanish
    Ok. Sounds like a plan.

For #14
    mmm? "estremece-mundos"... world-shattering does not have many translations...
    "estremece-mundos" does sound better than "estremecedores de mundos."

I think the correct line here would be:
    Roy: *Suspiro*. Parece otra trasnochada para mí. trasnoche/trasnochada is the closest to "all nighter" in Spanish.
    Yeah, thanks. Looking back I have no clue as to why I said 'abierto' instead of 'despierto'. I feel foolish for putting that. I should know better than that.
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2012-01-27 at 06:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Update, I put up #12, 13 and 14. I left 'xp' as that. I am unsure if in Spanish if experiencia is shortened like it is in English. If it isn't, then I will gladly change it.

Draft for #21 -- Todo se Revuelve por el Drama.
    Spoiler
    Show

---------
    Trigak: ¡Volamos!
    Trigak: ¡No soy cómodo de estar lidiados allá!
    Trigak: ¡Quizas hayan ganado esta ronda, Orden del Palo, ¡pero les juramos nuestra venganza a ustedes! Cuándo menos se lo espera –!
    -------------
    Trigak: ¡Gak!
    ------------
    Belkar: ¡Oh, Sí! ¿Quíen es el mediano? ¡Soy el mediano!
    Haley: ¡Belkar! Ellos deberían haber huido!
    ------------
    Belkar: ¿De qué hablas, Haley?
    Haley: ¡Duh! ¡Obviamente iban a ser un villano recurrente!
    ---------------
    Haley: ¡Quiero decir, tuvieron un nombre! Y estaban en la mitad de jurar matarnos y a nuestro perrito también. Era bien claro que iba a regresar.
    ------------
    Roy: Cabeza de chivo. Más o menos.
    V: ¿Perdóname?
    Belkar: Pues… Esta manera recibimos experiencia de ellos.
    Haley: ¡Hellooo! ¡Les vencimos, hubiéramos recibido experiencia de todos modos!
    -------------
    Roy: "Cuando la de chivo se vuelva roja acertará" Es lo que mi Padre dijo.
    V: Hmm. La de chivo sí se enojó, - “se volvió” para usar la lengua vernacular – y después, sí acertó Belkar.
    -------------
    Roy: Uh. Si es ello, sería la profecía más tonta en la larga historia de profecías tontas.
    Belkar: Um, quizás regresarán de un vampiro o algo.-
    Haley: No, No. Demasiado tarde. No les veremos de nuevo.
    ------------------
    Elan: ¿O sí les verán?
    ------------
    Roy: ¡Elan! Deje de tocar dramático señales musicales por la quimera muerta.
    Elan: Lo siento.
    -----------

I left Haley's "Hellooo" to Belkar alone because I think it is more appropriate like this. Well... from what I have seen in Telemundo and other Spanish TV shows they say hello a lot like that. If that doesn't fit, we can change it to "Hola, mundo a Belkar" or something like that.

Draft for #22 -- Liderazgo en Acción
    Spoiler
    Show

------
    Roy: Hola Belkar. He estado hablando estrategia con Haley, y tenemos un trabajo para ti.
    Belkar: ¿De veras? Ok.
    ------
    Roy: Esa quimera dijo que Xykon le envió por la mazmorra para matarnos.
    Belkar: Seguramente lo dijo.
    -------
    Roy: ¡PERO! Si Xykon envió la quimera, entonces vino de la sala del trono secreto de Xykon.
    --------
    Roy: Lo cual significa que podemos rastrearla/seguirla a la sala de trono. ¿Entiendes?
    ------------
    Roy: Podemos rastrearlo. A la sala de trono.
    ------------
    Roy: Eres explorador.
    Belkar: Sí, ¿Y?
    -----------
    Roy: Escuche con atención. Queremos rastrear a la quimera.
    Belkar: Sí.
    Roy: Eres explorador.
    Belkar: Sí.
    --------------
    Roy: Es todo.
    Belkar: No entiendo.
    -------------
    Roy: *Suspiro*
    ---------------
    Roy: La quimera te burló de tu altura.
    Belkar: Oh, ya es todo. ¡Voy a rastrear a la familia de ese maldado y degollarlos!
    -------------
    Roy: Trabajo con los herimientos que tengo. Demándame.
    -------------
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2012-02-07 at 03:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

posting in a rush

m'asho = reeeeeeally dialectal, I prefer "mujeriego" though it's not as good as "playa"

we use "xp" (equispé) in my gaming group, I would keep that

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by zql View Post
    m'asho = reeeeeeally dialectal, I prefer "mujeriego" though it's not as good as "playa"
    It is super regional? Well.... looking in a Spanish thesaurus for synonyms of 'mujeriego' I see faldero, ligón, tenorio, donjuán, libertino, and seductor. I am pretty sure seductor is out, but what about donjuán? Is it funnier than mujeriego?

30. - Top - End - #120

Draft for #23 -- Entre Tanto...
    Spoiler
    Show

---------
    Xykon: ¡Bah! ¡Esa quimera tonta ni comió UNO de ellos!
    ----------
    Xykon: Es lo que merezco por contratar mercenarios de oferta. Tres por uno, mi trasero huesudo.
    ----------
    Xykon: A ver, ¿quíen siga?
    Redcloak: Más mercenarios de oferta, Señor Xykon.
    Xykon: *Suspira* Pues, envíales. Ya los pagamos.
    ----------
    Xykon: Y acuérdame de hablar con el departamento de personal.
    Redcloak: Sí, tu malevolencia.
    ---------
    MiTD: ¿Y Yo, Maestro? Déjeme aplastar al odioso Orden del Palo por tú.
    Xykon: No, mi esbirro. Eres mi arma secreta. Te daré a luz solo cuando el tiempo sea buena.
    -----------
    MiTD: Pues… ¿Por lo menos puedo salir de estes oscuras sombras ocultas?
    Xykon: ¿¿Apenas no dije que no iba revelarte??
    ----------------
    MiTD: Pero… ¡No hay nadie aquí sin nosotros!
    Xykon: ¡¡Oye!! ¿Quién es el archivillano aqui?
    ---------
    Xykon: Sé la plan, el malo siempre guarda su arma secreta envuelta en tinieblas hasta la clímax. Pudieran recortar a nosotros en cualquier momento.
    ---------
    MiTD: Pero… es tan obscuro aquí…
    Xykon: Ay, no seas un bebe.
    ----------
    Xykon: ¡Apágalo!
    MiTD: …
    ---------

For the last panel, I am unsure what the equivalent is for "Aww man", so I essentially left it blank for now.