New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXI: The Great and Powerful XXXie!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I think he meant it was a nice change, though; he may just be glad it's not the standard Greek or Latin we're used to.
    When I hear Celestia I think of this; when I hear Skinfaxi I think of some sort of bearded hell demon that overworked Scandinavian parents made up to scare their kids into better manners (or piracy and terrorism, it's so hard to draw the line sometimes).
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoseanster View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to second this and say that it's a bit early to be alarmed. We're only five episodes in to season 2 and there's already a season 3 on the way, and it's ages off! Things look great for the time being, we can worry about the future if more details arise and they look bad.
    Good to know somepony shares my sentiment

I've known shows that right now would be in question of having the end of season 2 completed right now, much less an advance order for season 3.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    And carefully reading the screen shots we have what we have is that Lauren Faust and Rob Renzetti are out, but were involved with every season 2 script and something about that was ugly. I mean... not to be overly rose-tinted but that could just as easily be referring to being "ugly" because our beloved creator gods were very very busy and had to pull all-nighters to meet deadlines or something.
    With Faust, for example, she wasn't working only on MLP, but also her Galaxy Girls project and likely getting the first parts of the new Animated DC show. (Forget the name... it's a power trio of the DC Trinity's younger, female counterparts (Well, WW is already female, but you get the idea))

4. - Top - End - #334
    Barbarian in the Playground

That's the trouble; where do you draw the line? One pony's snark is another pony's malicious. Look at Dominic Deegan for example. Sure it's terrible, but I still like it. Some really like it. Some like to tear it apart. There is strife between the really like group and the tear it apart group. And that's with something where being bad is almost a canonical decision.
    I see your point, and to respond I have this to say:

For years now, I have been following The Nostalgia Critic, an Internet-based comedian who does comedic reviews of movies and TV shows from his childhood.

During his reviews, he does get nasty. He tears into things, and has had several mental breakdowns caused by how terrible he finds the things he watches. He's even slammed movies and shows I really like.

Here's the important thing to remember, which he has mentioned several times: He is an actor, and does it for Comedy. He doesn't really hate most of the stuff her reviews. A lot of it is media he actually loved as a kid, and still does. That's why he reviews it. He likes and cares enough about it to find its faults and make jokes about it. If he truly hated something, he wouldn't put the time and effort into it unless it was something his fans really wanted him to do.

Why do I want to riff on Friendship is Magic? Why do I want to make snide comments and jokes and then post it online?

For the same reason I yell my head off at midnight showings of Rocky Horror.

Because I love it. To me, riffing isn't an attack. It's a way of showing appreciation for something.

Think about when you're hanging out with your friends. You tease each other, don't you? You take lighthearted jabs at each other, then you all laugh and move on. This is no different.

If this does get off the ground, and we do riff a few episodes, just know that we aren't being mean. We love the show, and just want to have fun with it.
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpalbob View Post

For years now, I have been following The Nostalgia Critic, an Internet-based comedian who does comedic reviews of movies and TV shows from his childhood.

During his reviews, he does get nasty. He tears into things, and has had several mental breakdowns caused by how terrible he finds the things he watches. He's even slammed movies and shows I really like.

Here's the important thing to remember, which he has mentioned several times: He is an actor, and does it for Comedy. He doesn't really hate most of the stuff her reviews. A lot of it is media he actually loved as a kid, and still does. That's why he reviews it. He likes and cares enough about it to find its faults and make jokes about it. If he truly hated something, he wouldn't put the time and effort into it unless it was something his fans really wanted him to do.

Why do I want to riff on Friendship is Magic? Why do I want to make snide comments and jokes and then post it online?

Because I love it. To me, riffing isn't an attack. It's a way of showing appreciation for something.

Think about when you're hanging out with your friends. You tease each other, don't you? You take lighthearted jabs at each other, then you all laugh and move on. This is no different.

If this does get off the ground, and we do riff a few episodes, just know that we aren't being mean. We love the show, and just want to have fun with it.
    To some people, riffing is an attack, and sometimes it truly is an attack. As an example, Brad Jones from the same site has a show called "DVD-R Hell" where he riffed on a movie called "Rock: It's your decision." He wasn't riffing on something he loved, he was insulting it with genuine vitrol. Not all riffing is lighthearted fun towards something you love, and even when it is lighthearted fun, it doesn't necessarily stop it from being genuinely insulting.

EDIT: Also, there's Linkara. For a lot of the comics he reviews, if not all of them, he genuinely hates them.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-11-09 at 04:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

You know what I haven't done in a while? An image dump.

So here's this spoiler. It contains something. Can you guess what?

(Hint: It's an image dump)

Spoiler
    Show

What the? This is a ship I've not seen before:

And seperately, a Derpy/Dinky/Sparkler/Dr. Whooves comic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    With Faust, for example, she wasn't working only on MLP, but also her Galaxy Girls project and likely getting the first parts of the new Animated DC show. (Forget the name... it's a power trio of the DC Trinity's younger, female counterparts (Well, WW is already female, but you get the idea))
    Super Best Friends Forever!

Which is about all I can extract about it aside from this:

Spoiler
    Show

Which has a let's say very distinctive style. Oh and presumably Wonder Girl is a generally distinct character from Wonder Woman, at least most of the time thanks to the early writers of Teen Titans not doing research. Presumably they would use Donna Troy to allow for Blonde, Brunette, and Redhead mix.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2011-11-09 at 04:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    I sure seem to need lots of help with this story... Anyway, I think ponythread will like this one:

Derpy has fallen in love with Fluttershy and wants to show her feelings. So she seeks advice from three of her friends: Pinkie Pie, Roseluck and Sparkler (Dinky's half-sister from the new episode)

These three are chosen for the obvious advice they'll each offer: offerings of chocolate or sweets in general, flowers, or gems/jewelry, which may all be fine advice.

What I need is either for Derpy to screw up the perfectly good advice, or for the advice to not be so good after all (especially likely with Pinkie, I suppose)

Not screw up so bad that Fluttershy will find her annoying or anything, just enough that Fluttershy will fail to get the message.

Obviously she should try to turn chocolate flowers into jewelry or some odd mixup of the three

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*
    D'awwww
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2011-11-09 at 04:50 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339

Spoiler
    Show

That was adorable. Also, I liked the look on Trixie's face when she was subjected to the photographic evidence.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Obviously she should try to turn chocolate flowers into jewelry or some odd mixup of the three
    Obviously. I wonder how in Equestria she would do that

I'm thinking she'll ask the three in turn, so first she goes to Pinkie and gets some advice which she tries. When that fails she goes to Roseluck, and so on...

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

%$&*@#£ dog got out AGAIN. After I'd spent quite some time this morning endevouring to proof the garden AND all day checking on him - one minute he was sleeping in the front room, next time I checked - *poof*. Two hours he was out this time - and literally the ten seconds before my sister got home, he was at the doorstep (and his collar was off and on the door mat - so I wonder if some kind soul found him and dropped him off - I certainly asked a few people over the last three times, so...)

So, now he's on jankers, and we're going to have to shut off the garden completely at night and make him do toilet trips.

And of course, much as I don't like the dog (because I don't) when he's out missing, you of course can't settle to do anything, because of dealing with the fall out (i.e. Mum beign devastated) if he doesn't come back. (Especially since it's on MY watch.) And I have so much to freaking do this week.

Frag, I hate this week. And it was such a promising week, too.

So, sorry if I'm marginally more snippy than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    To some people, riffing is an attack, and sometimes it truly is an attack. As an example, Brad Jones from the same site has a show called "DVD-R Hell" where he riffed on a movie called "Rock: It's your decision." He wasn't riffing on something he loved, he was insulting it with genuine vitrol. Not all riffing is lighthearted fun towards something you love, and even when it is lighthearted fun, it doesn't necessarily stop it from being genuinely insulting.

EDIT: Also, there's Linkara. For a lot of the comics he reviews, if not all of them, he genuinely hates them.
    As I've said before, My Little Pony is not above satire. Nothing is above having the rip taken out of it (especially by it's own fans - see Yu Gi Oh Abridged, MST3K, parody in general of various examples... Heck, some of the commetaries on some of the Stargate SG-1 DVDs (especially those by Peter DeLuise) were verging on riff territory...!)

Jasper Carrott once said that if you confine humour to being completely inoffensive to everyone, all you have left is Christmas cracker jokes. Which is, while perhaps not strictly accurate1, does have a grain of truth to it.

Riffs and reviews are also not the same thing. Similar, but not the same.

(There is only an handful of riffs, as opposed to (comedic) reviews on TGWTG, and those I know of are by Doug himself, and of mostly 1950s "educational" videos, some of which geniunely deserve some ire (e.g. the one that equated homosexuality with pedophillia, for one.))

I certainly see no harm in riffing MLP.

(The main problem being it's usually harder to riff one something that's actually good, as opposed to bad or so bad it's good...)

1In context, it was the climax of a series (the BBC's Jasper Carrott on Trial) that was basically a clip series of his best clips from over his (then) 28-year career, with the framing device being him being on trail for crimes against humanity, incitement to riot (on the basis that he took the wotsit out of everyone without vitriol - less even than the way I do); that quote was the resting argument of his defense.

Jasper Carrott is also one of my favourite comedians and he is extremely funny. If you haven't heard of him, go google so youtube videoes of him, seriously: he's hysterical.

Actually, I'm going to watch some myself, now, since the rest of the eveing is going to be bust now Brandy has taken out the middle two hours or so again and broken my quest-writing flow.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-11-09 at 05:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

I know MLP isn't above riffing, but it should be marked and spoilered so that those who don't care to have it riffed on know what content to avoid in a post.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

X-Men plus pony equals WIN.

Spoiler
    Show

Careful there Storm - you're a bit out of your league...!

14. - Top - End - #344
    Banned

Woah there nelly!

While I have heard of 65 as a magic number in reference to the creation of frankenseries Robotech I have been unable to verify it as a real requirement. I refer you to Broadcast Syndication and 100 episodes noting that none of this seems to indicate more then general trends for syndication. The original Battlestar Galactica only had 31 episode including its lame sequel series, yet ran in syndication for years. Further more why would syndication be Hasbro's goal if they are trying to build a network for themselves? They still don't have a full stable of shows, its why we get a replay every Saturday and you can catch something like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? on air.

I've never heard that the show has been unsuccessful with its target demographic either. Given that we are less then halfway through season 2 I'm going to take any order for season 3 as a good thing for now.

And carefully reading the screen shots we have what we have is that Lauren Faust and Rob Renzetti are out, but were involved with every season 2 script and something about that was ugly. I mean... not to be overly rose-tinted but that could just as easily be referring to being "ugly" because our beloved creator gods were very very busy and had to pull all-nighters to meet deadlines or something. Then there's the entire spectrum of Executive Meddling to consider that said parties may not have liked but isn't related to cancellation. And we've already had Executive Meddling that turned out fine in the end, Twilight's balloon is hardly a lead weight on the show yes? Or simply purely mundane issues like monetary disagreements.

Its purest speculation to connect any of this to cancellation given that the unconfirmed episodes wouldn't be on air until 2013.
    Thank you.

True. But pranks are all in good fun, and Fluttershy is still a bad target for them.
    I assume we are still discussing why it would be a good idea to spoil and label any Riffing, aye? Because I enjoy Vicious mockery as much as the next colt who has looked into paychology for combat applications, but I still would t. Care too much for pony snarking.

-

Deadly; Pinkie's advice is jut give her chocolate! And she does, but there's no impression. Pinkie's response? "huh, I give her chocolates all the time and she knows I love her. I love all my friends!" implying it's a standard gesture not a romantic one.

Flowers? From her favorite spot to walk through, and all she can focus on is the damage done to her favorite private spot.

Jewelry reminds her of her traumatic time as a model.

Those work?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Deadly; Pinkie's advice is jut give her chocolate! And she does, but there's no impression. Pinkie's response? "huh, I give her chocolates all the time and she knows I love her. I love all my friends!" implying it's a standard gesture not a romantic one.

Flowers? From her favorite spot to walk through, and all she can focus on is the damage done to her favorite private spot.

Jewelry reminds her of her traumatic time as a model.

Those work?
    Those could work, yes :) Thanks

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

@Deadly: For the jewelery, she could be very appreciative at first, but then later it's revealed that she just passed them off to one of her animal friends. So she appreciates the gesture, but manages to take it completely the wrong way.

Ex: "Oh he just liked how it sparkled so much, and now it's his favorite thing to play with!"
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    @Deadly: For the jewelery, she could be very appreciative at first, but then later it's revealed that she just passed them off to one of her animal friends. So she appreciates the gesture, but manages to take it completely the wrong way.

Ex: "Oh he just liked how it sparkled so much, and now it's his favorite thing to play with!"
    Hah, a bird perhaps, birds love sparkly things, good idea too :)

18. - Top - End - #348
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yay, I'm not alone!
    Oh, wait, constrained. Hrmmm...
    Yeah, that part's kinda important.
    Although it was less so thirty years ago.

While I have heard of 65 as a magic number in reference to the creation of frankenseries Robotech I have been unable to verify it as a real requirement.
    It's not a requirement so much as a typical practice, as noted on TV Tropes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Additional Dawwwwwwwwww.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

20. - Top - End - #350
    Colossus in the Playground

Good stuff. Good call on Aurora as well; she is hard to smash out without filler details.
    I'll be trying a few shorthand sketches soonish.

I feel like I should ask for a list of Awesome things to reference so I can keep up.
    The List:
    - Anything associated with Joss Whedon

THANQOL FOR BEST PONY
    AN ART FOR EVERY DAY
    A FINGER FOR EVERY DOG
    Winter 2012 Aussi-elections
    ... I'd vote for me. Sounds a lot better than our current parties.

I thought you liked explore other pony's mental illnesses?
    Yeah, but in meatspace it has the chance of degenerating into hoofticuffs.

The you aren't trying. The drink? The friendliest version of it's name is Adios My Friend. For a reason, too; bye bye!

In all seriousness though, if you're going to remain upset after time travel and service by an incredibly talented being with a neat accent and no shackles of causality, then you're beyond my Help. Unless a triple chocolate chip cookie would work, then maybe not.
    Mask: "... We must experiment with the cookie. For science."

Quick question. This means you disagree?
    Each time I read it I come to a different conclusion. So many potential interpretations! Well, ok, two but still.
    I agree.

Entirely too true! I just want to indulge a bit is all. I'll be better in. Day or so
    And then *BANG* MASK SHALL BE MINE!
    Here in the ponythread, we establish normality through the medium of kidnapping.

Familiar. Who is she, pray?
    I love the concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I really like the atmosphere in this, I'm kind of curious what the inspiration was?
    Whitefire, a character of mine in the Bridle Shores RP. With luck I'll be playing her there again soon, in teenage self format.

As far as the scene goes, well... [Sad]

Spoiler
    Show

Whitefire was raised in a samurai-esque society in the north. And everypony was really nice, her life seemed to be going fine. She was going to marry a stallion she liked, and live a life surrounded by friends and family. Everything seemed to be perfect.

Which was why, when she finally realised that she was a fillyfooler, she didn't know what to do. To her mind, there was something about her that was at odds with the world. That she was going to wreck everything and break the hearts of those around her. So, she ran away, on the night she was meant to be married. She flew south until she found the biggest thunderstorm she could find, and flew straight into it.

She was struck by lightning and fell out of the sky.

Whitefire is the failure of trust, and the triumph of self-loathing. Things would have worked out for her if she stayed, communicated, told the truth. She chose to try and end it all with a storm instead.

But when she woke up in the morning, there was somepony looking after her.

And her life started to change.

I suspect it would be a more visceral version of sailing a storm. Words cannot express; sheer joy in doing, the mind reacts, the body moves. Wholeness of spirit.[/color]
    Tell me about it! I've always been jealous of things that can fly, marshmallowy ponies in particular.
    Oh my good gracious, yes. For me, it's always been dragons in particular, but ponies are a close second.

...pretty pony... (gives them a hug)
    Whitefire: *Can do with hugs*

...okay, that's the ALTERNATE final straw.
    (turns up at your door with a jetpack and a very waterproof coat and a box of chocolates and takes on a date flying through the stormy skies and listening to the sound.)
    Who are you and how do you know the contents of my dream date? <3

Quote Originally Posted by InkwellPony View Post
    Okay, Siuis, as for what I do to draw -I spend about an hour to 6 staring at a blank sheet of paper. Inspiration then strikes me with a baseball bat, and I start sketching with a blue line pencil, and then ink the outcome of that if it doesn't make me cringe and/or hurl.

At which point, I scan the picture in gray scale, and then use the level adjusters to get rid of the blue lines. Because those buggers do still scan, but they're easy enough to get rid of.

Once in Photoshop, I duplicate the base layer and select everything that's white in order to make the line layer, then I generally speaking, when I'm doing it correctly, do everything as gray tones for shading and what not, and then use a Layer feature to colorize the gray tones once I create the color layers. Not saying that's what I always do, that's just what I do when I'm being smart. When I just do the color layers, I use black to make the shading, on it's own seperate layers, and then make those layers mostly transparent so you get a light shading effect, then I use gausian blur to make it look more shade-ey.

-(Inhales deaply)- Then I generally take a step back, look at it, and if I feel I don't wanna do anything more, I move along.

However, if I want to color the outlines, that's a whole other kettle of fish and level of layers that is done with the linework selected.

But that's basically how I do a picture. Much like a duck swimming, it's graceful on the surface, and a Cthulian horror underneath.

Wait, that's not a duck... THAT'S NOT A DUCK AT ALL!
    I actually know how to do some of the things you're talking about. That's the most terrifying part of this. Other parts I simply hadn't thought of but they make awesome sense *Notes*

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    This is why once I strike it rich, I'm building an airship and becoming a GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER. Then I can go wherever I choose, never having to put up with winter weather if I don't want to.
    It's like you're saying what we're all thinking.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-11-09 at 07:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

o my poor pancreas....

Spoiler
    Show

Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    So, I decided I wanted to write a fanfiction.

Not something I normally do. Heck, I've been trying to write a novel for NaNoWriMo! But something just doesn't feel right about it, and I just can't write it now...

I would much prefer to write this! =D

All I have so far is a vague idea of what I want to happen... and a few lines to help set the plot.

Spoiler
    Show

Broken Sun, Broken Moon
    Dissent returns, deceptively soon,
    A ruler's end, her reign brought low
    A rift between sister's steadily grows

Discord's mark upon this land
    A Child who does not understand;
    Chaos' seal is flawed and cracked,
    So begins this newest Act.

"So written, I have spoken. Great rulers are the twins of the sun and
    moon; But not all shall be well, for the return of Chaos marks the end
    of an Era. The fate of all Equestria will rest in the hands of one; the
    sun and moon will fracture in the sky, throwing the order sown by the
    twins into disarray, a roiling bubble bereft of kindness and love.
    Nothing but fear and destruction will follow the one upon whose flank
    is inscribed the mark of the Endtimes; the Broken Disc."

Spoiler
    Show

Basically, I have an idea of having a new character come in, though I still expect the main six to be moreso the main characters. I have no name for her yet, but I want her to start as a young filly, with no idea as to what her future holds.
    I've already got some of her character figure out, too; She enjoys taking things apart and figuring out how they work, as well as fixing things; She is, unfortunately, a klutz as well and more often than not breaks something she's trying to fix. Her cutie mark, (When she got it) Would be half a sun and half a moon, the circle forming the two halves split down the center.

Oh, a unicorn as well, if I forgot to mention.
    I'm a little stuck on how to start, but so far I may just start with Twilight going to visit Zecora in the Everfree Forest... where the two will discover this young filly lost, confused, and afraid.

Looking for a little help I suppose. With What? I'm unsure. Grammar Critique, writing critique (On what I already have, of course) story ideas.
    I should probably put down my ideas on a paper somewhere...
    Thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This looks like a fairly interesting idea; definitely an alternate universe feel. I get the impression that you're planning on having this new character be the catalyst for an end-times/apocalypse scenario.

My big question is how things play out. Is trying to avert disaster the central theme? Or is it the fight to protect this pony against opposition even though they may bring an end to the status quo in Equestria? Is there actually going to be an apocalypse, and if so, what happens afterward?

I think there are some interesting ways you could take this, depending on exactly what you want to do. One thing to keep in mind though, depending on if you want to make this available for large-scale viewing is that depending on how you handle things, people may make comparisons to certain aspects of other fics, like Past Sins. I haven't actually read enough of that one to say for sure, but it's something to keep in mind, depending on what you want to do with it.

Your suggested intro may work well, and perhaps I can have some more concrete thoughts for you once you get a bit further along.

Would be nice of you, Druid. =) Thank you!

Sorry for not posting in the draw thread; I'm not the best a critiquing artwork. Most of my art is simply me redrawing something else. Case in point:

Spoiler
    Show

Well, the suggestion about offering a critique was mainly there to help promote discussion. You can also simply admire others' work, and if you're in a rush to post, remember that it's not a hard and fast rule anyway. After all, we're always glad for more posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Oh my good gracious, yes. For me, it's always been dragons in particular, but ponies are a close second.
    I think the added benefit of ponies for me is that they seem unlikely (at least in canon Equestria) to suffer much from falls and their aftermath; also, they get to live in Equestria, which is pretty cool...

It's like you're saying what we're all thinking.
    Verily!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

So performing some news analysis on this Hasbro article. Which is probably the most important set of tea leaves to read our future in. Mind you this is not explicitly about ponies and does not distinguish which series in particular are sharing this, however ponies are mentioned.

I will give some my most important excerpts:
    Hasbro COO David D. R. Hargreaves says these sales are soaring even though initial ratings following the channel’s October 2010 launch were at “the lower end of our expectations.”
    Referring to toy sales mind you. I also think this is a good indication of what Hasbro is truly interested in. Merchandise!

Still, the exec says Hasbro’s on track with its five-year business plan. ”If The Hub network can be half the size of Cartoon Network” in five years then “that would be a success,” he says. Hasbro’s investment enabled the company to turn Hasbro Studios into a major TV production operation. It accounts for 50% of the Hub’s programming from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM, as well as sales in 142 countries. Hasbro says it only expects to have to spend about $80M a year on channel-related expenses, lower than the $100M it anticipated.
    Most important bit is a five year plan as the standard for success. This I interpret as good for us as you need fresh material over time to grow a network.

Also the network saving money, is good news for us!

Hargreaves says consumers will spend $300M next year on merchandise tied to the TV shows, about 50% more than Hasbro had been selling from the products.
    If a show that is Merchandise Driven is driving its merchandise, that is its measure of success. Buy ponies with the fury of a 1000 suns!

I've personally decided that I will buy the pony DVD whatever it turns out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    It's not a requirement so much as a typical practice, as noted on TV Tropes.
    Even its own description notes its based on first-run syndication. Which FiM is not. How many shows don't fit this mold. For example, the show's spiritual predecessors both made it into the upper seventies over more seasons, I could come up with plenty of series that have beat the 65 number.

So we need to wait and see. The time to be worried is not now its next summer and fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    That's really awesome there.

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    o my poor pancreas....

Spoiler
    Show

O' my poor gall bladder. Round about seeing Twi's Bookfort my pancreas launched a war of conquest for more room to sustain its activity. My liver thought the pancreas would be satisfied once it let it have the spleen and stomach. My liver was wrong.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Orc in the Playground

Re: The Derpy/Doctor comic posted earlier: Awww. And Trixie blushing at the photo, hilarious.

Re: The order for 13 episodes of Season 3: It seems like a season is 26 episodes. Ordering half a season isn't unusual, it probably just means they are planning to pick up the rest of the season later on. Considering how a large corporation organizes and allocates their various budgets, it may simply be for tax reasons, or for certain financial statements. It isn't too unusual, and doesn't mean the show is getting cancelled, or isn't getting cancelled. I wouldn't read too much into this one way or another.

Referring to toy sales mind you. I also think this is a good indication of what Hasbro is truly interested in. Merchandise!
    They make more on the toys than they do on the show, or ever will. Even with DVD boxed sets and reruns, this is likely to remain true. Especially since I would imagine the bulk of their advertising during those timeslots is for their own products. The show itself was likely intended as nothing more than a 20-minute toy commercial. It just happened to turn out awesome, by a wonderful series of coincidences.

FFA FF RP: FREE Raspberries! (Thbbbbbbbbbt~!)

Spoiler
    Show
    The red pony's left eyebrow raises. He studies the mare with an expression that reads "You... have got to be kidding me."

"Never one to shy away from a new experience." He glances around the stand at the growing number of potential customers.

"However, it looks like you may be falsely advertising, unless you've got a colt hidden under that little stand of yours."
    "I double as both. So, what kind of raspberries would you like?" She glances toward the guard. "Better make it quick, I might be out of business soon..." *sad*

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    A charcoal grey unicorn guard appears behind the stand with a stern expression on his face.

"Do you have a permit to set up a Raspberries stand here ma'am?"
    Beeskee awws. "No, I don't. I didn't know I needed one." She looks at the unicorn with big, sad pony eyes. *blinkblink* "Sure I can't just give away raspberries here freely?"
    Happy Trixie Appreciation Day!

PonyFort: IC and OOC threads.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beeskee View Post
    FFA FF RP: FREE Raspberries! (Thbbbbbbbbbt~!)

Spoiler
    Show

"I double as both. So, what kind of raspberries would you like?" She glances toward the guard. "Better make it quick, I might be out of business soon..." *sad*

Beeskee awws. "No, I don't. I didn't know I needed one." She looks at the unicorn with big, sad pony eyes. *blinkblink* "Sure I can't just give away raspberries here freely?"
    This is actually a Calvin and Hobbes reference, but I thought it might be appropriate. http://zicygomar.deviantart.com/art/...oves-267993252

26. - Top - End - #356

Ohai guys, I'm back.

So, I decided I wanted to write a fanfiction.

Not something I normally do. Heck, I've been trying to write a novel for NaNoWriMo! But something just doesn't feel right about it, and I just can't write it now...

I would much prefer to write this! =D

All I have so far is a vague idea of what I want to happen... and a few lines to help set the plot.

Spoiler
    Show

Broken Sun, Broken Moon
    Dissent returns, deceptively soon,
    A ruler's end, her reign brought low
    A rift between sister's steadily grows

Discord's mark upon this land
    A Child who does not understand;
    Chaos' seal is flawed and cracked,
    So begins this newest Act.

"So written, I have spoken. Great rulers are the twins of the sun and
    moon; But not all shall be well, for the return of Chaos marks the end
    of an Era. The fate of all Equestria will rest in the hands of one; the
    sun and moon will fracture in the sky, throwing the order sown by the
    twins into disarray, a roiling bubble bereft of kindness and love.
    Nothing but fear and destruction will follow the one upon whose flank
    is inscribed the mark of the Endtimes; the Broken Disc."

Spoiler
    Show

Basically, I have an idea of having a new character come in, though I still expect the main six to be moreso the main characters. I have no name for her yet, but I want her to start as a young filly, with no idea as to what her future holds.
    I've already got some of her character figure out, too; She enjoys taking things apart and figuring out how they work, as well as fixing things; She is, unfortunately, a klutz as well and more often than not breaks something she's trying to fix. Her cutie mark, (When she got it) Would be half a sun and half a moon, the circle forming the two halves split down the center.

Oh, a unicorn as well, if I forgot to mention.
    I'm a little stuck on how to start, but so far I may just start with Twilight going to visit Zecora in the Everfree Forest... where the two will discover this young filly lost, confused, and afraid.

Looking for a little help I suppose. With What? I'm unsure. Grammar Critique, writing critique (On what I already have, of course) story ideas.
    I should probably put down my ideas on a paper somewhere...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's some things I've noticed, from my time at the Writer's Training Grounds.

1)As it stands, your OC does not sound incredibly compelling. While skills and interests are important character traits, the thing that defines characters is their reason to like those things. Why does she like to fix things? Is she an engineer at heart? Why is she a klutz? Is she absent minded? I've read tons and tons of stories about genius klutzes. What makes yours different? What makes her interesting? Things like these are critical to making a character.

2)The poem, and backstory seems interesting.

3) Plan plan plan. It's better to get everything down first and then write the whole story than to edit the whole thing retroactively and make it a train wreck.

I'm interested; keep writing.
    Last edited by dromer; 2011-11-09 at 09:50 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp. In the IRC Candles just figured out why everyone refers to Lix as the shipping goddess.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 3rd season, guys. We'll cross that bridge when we reach it.

28. - Top - End - #358

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Welp. In the IRC Candles just figured out why everyone refers to Lix as the shipping goddess.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 3rd season, guys. We'll cross that bridge when we reach it.
    IRC? Which IRC is this?

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    IRC? Which IRC is this?
    The ponythread IRC! There is a link in here somewhere...

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    IRC? Which IRC is this?
    All the information is here.