New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Fairy Tail in the Playground [FTITP]

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    Still...I was going to make a Blue Mage (ALA FF series) to go along with the lower ranked TR but that'd be his only power and he'd have to get hurt to use the magic. As it stands with Aurora being able to reflect other peoples magic back at them, go invisible and teleport, being able to copy other mages and all their magic...way to much. There's no limit to how many people she can do that on in the thing either so...while I trust you won't abuse it, it's still to powerful.
    Well, the teleporting thing is less of a *bamf* teleport and more of a fast travel/maybe quick getaway that relies on specific conditions (a full-body mirror being nearby) to work. And the original plan was to limit it to one mirror clone at a time. Not sure where the invisibility comes from.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Well, the teleporting thing is less of a *bamf* teleport and more of a fast travel/maybe quick getaway that relies on specific conditions (a full-body mirror being nearby) to work. And the original plan was to limit it to one mirror clone at a time. Not sure where the invisibility comes from.
    Light Refraction - In the rare instances that Aurora needs to attack directly, her mirror's magic can reflect and amplify light into powerful light-based attacks
    It came from that. So scratch the invis. If it was one clone with one spell that'd be different but say she copies someone like Frozen Feets character. You can see where the potential problems come in.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

It came from that. So scratch the invis. If it was one clone with one spell that'd be different but say she copies someone like Frozen Feets character. You can see where the potential problems come in.

I actually don't. Could you be more specific?

Another possible concession, since it's line with the ability's main purpose anyway: Not only is there only one clone at a time possible, but that clone can only be used against its original.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Allowing her to use very person's magic of whom she has a clone of along with her own powers of being able to reflect magic and be on the offense as well basically makes it a two on one only more so with the case of really strong people.

The concession is fine, though may I suggest, sticking with the theme as well, she is the person that mirrors them instead of making them a clone? Dropping the bit about the only being able to use it on that person bit. It'd replace her powers while giving her their appearance and attacks etc. How does that sound?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Allowing her to use very person's magic of whom she has a clone of along with her own powers of being able to reflect magic and be on the offense as well basically makes it a two on one only more so with the case of really strong people.

The concession is fine, though may I suggest, sticking with the theme as well, she is the person that mirrors them instead of making them a clone? Dropping the bit about the only being able to use it on that person bit. It'd replace her powers while giving her their appearance and attacks etc. How does that sound?
    I'm not sure that specifically would fit the theme, but how about Aurora just can't use any of her other magic while she has a clone in play? Since she's busy keeping the clone sustained and all. It has more of the puppetmaster-esque feel that a character like Aurora needs.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

You'd be mirroring them? How does that not fit the theme?

But that's fine I suppose.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

I think between Emilia, Gabriel, Nimbus, and possibly Varium we should have whatever happens to be in the bog covered.

Now if Twilight Reconciliation were to unexpectedly show up...
    I'd say it looks like this.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Just not sure who or why they'd be there really. Unless you want to throw one of your guys in Bob or Riccaru.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just not sure who or why they'd be there really. Unless you want to throw one of your guys in Bob or Riccaru.
    I might, but probably not directly. He has the blood control magic which makes him just oh so good at commanding townspeople
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Very good, make it so Number Three.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Let me know if these guys are okay.

Lord Metus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guild: Twilight Reconcilation (for now)
    Height: 7'
    Weight: 340lb (including armor)
    Blood: ??
    Magic: Earth Make, Golem Magic, Necromancy, Rune Magic, Path Magic, Other

Appearance: A seven foot tall clay suit of armor stands before you. Or at least that is what it appears to be. The thing is massive mixing the natural shape of the human body with the hard edges of stone, it seems too heavy to possibly move on its own but move it does with a surprising amount of speed and grace. Every inch of the man exudes power. The helmet has a mock human face attached to the front with thick brooding brows and rectangular sockets emiting no light.

History: This mysterious mage approached Twilight Reconcilation as it was beginning to form along with Dollface (and perhaps a few other companions if anyone else is interested in joining his inner circle.) He gave little about himself but the power he offered was enormous and he has proven his loyalty to the guild numerous times. However one cannot shake the feeling that he is merely waiting for an opportunity to strike. Although what such an opportunity would look like and what it would ultimately mean can only be guessed.

Personality: Lord Metus possesses a certain charisma that comes to those who hold a lot of power. While not always charming or polite his expectation that everything will go his way is almost infectious.

Magic: Lord Metus is an artisan with clay magic. Able to sculpt perfect replicas in minutes. By constructing humanoid forms and inscribing them with runes he can create an army of golems to do his bidding. Many of these constructs are quite powerful and can even be a challenge individually to lower ranked mages. In play these clay soldiers would be used as higher level grunts and a nice supply of smashable enemies for the good guys. While his full power hasn't been tested in a fight against him personally he is able to manipulate the earth around him as a weapon against his opponent, is nearly impervious to harm, inhumanly strong, and capable of levitation by exerting magical force onto his armour (this is not very fast. Think the way Magneto floats around). If he has time to prepare for an enemy, creative use of rune magic will also enter the field.

In a fight against TR's guild leader, I'd imagine it would be very close but in the end he would be defeated. Of course, how can you tell if what was crushed was truly him or merely one of his puppets playing the part?

Notes: Definitely a long term big bad. His opponents will probably win when it counts, but you'll never be sure it wasn't because he wanted them to. For the most part he himself will be pretty distant. His golems however will show up pretty often.

Jack Rider
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nicknames: Dollface, Headless Jack
    Guild: Twilight Reconcilation
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 160lb
    Blood: A-
    Magic: Lost magic of immortality, Requip (mostly for smuggling his sword. Not erza level craziness)

Appearance: A handsome gentlemen, dressed in a perfectly tailored suit. His hair is combed back neatly revealing a face of such perfect features you would think they had been made. There is however something off about his appearance although few notice it as most are too busy admiring him. Still to those keen enough to observe it you will notice that he often forgets to blink or even breathe.

Personality: Charmingly insane, Jack is the kind of person who will murder you and your children all while screaming for someone to help you before you bleed to death. Sworn to his master, Lord Metus, Dollface is much like a cat in his devotion. If the cat was forced to obey even the smallest command without choice or question.

History: Fifty years ago a young man named Jack Rider went rogue having stolen several million jewels from a train he was supposed to be protecting. The man murdered two of the mages sent to apprehend him before being taken in, and was sentenced to death within a week.

The execution was a clean, family friendly gathering as all the little girls and boys were hoisted up on their parents shoulders to see their first proper hanging. The trouble was he merely hung there from his neck chatting merrily about the weather. And so a few hours later everyone gathered again with much excitement for it had been determinned that the best option was for this to be a beheading. All was well with that too until after the executioner had swung his blade and Jack's head was writhing on the floor still screaming with pain. An event which everyone agreed was much too unsightly for the children.

The head was quickly burned at the stake but somehow in the chaos the body got away. Staggering away blind the tormented soul of Jack Rider staggered away from his own execution screaming but without a mouth or vocal chords to be heard from. That is until lord Metus found him. Using necromancy he gave Jack momentary relief from his torment and allowed him to speak. It was then that he offered him a deal. He would be given a new head in exchange for undying, unconditional service. Jack accepted. In return Metus crafted a perfect porcelain head which was bound to Jack's body. It works more flawlessly than a normal head would, and looks so lifelike it would be impossible to tell if one did not look for the telltale signs that reveal Jack should already be dead.

Magic: Jack is immortal, having discovered an ancient lost magic in his youth. He dreamed of living forever free of any greater power but himself. Unfortunately after his capture he has been bound to lord Metus. The magic still works though and thus Headless Jack will never die. He also knows a basic requip spell that will bring forth a basic fencing sword or a dagger. Being immortal he has supplemented his body with all sorts of procedures that would kill any other being. As such he has slightly enhanced strength, and supernatural speed.

Other Skills: Jack has had sixty years of sword practice and the ability to learn from his losses as well as his victories. He is exceptionally skilled with a blade. He is also a master of disguise as he can switch heads whenever he needs to lay low.

Inspiration: Metus is heavily inspired by Dr. Doom (Marvel,) and steals a little here and there from Hades (RW Fairy Tail.) He also has a bit of a "deal with the devil" thing going on. In that if you really want something he can probably make it happen, but at a cost.

Jack is Girahim (Zelda,) Jack the Ripper (Reality), the Headless Horseman (Fairy Tales,) and a little Loki/Leo (Fairy Tail.) With just a dash of nightmare fuel and a taste of Tim Burton (Sweeney, Jack the Pumpkin King, Edward Scissor Hands)
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2011-11-15 at 09:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

If these guys make it past Tebryn's pruning process () then I'd like to talk with you about Metis's necromancy, since I'm developing the concept of it a lot with Emilia's character and history.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

All right...let's get started here.

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Let me know if these guys are okay.

Lord Metus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guild: Twilight Reconcilation (for now)
    Height: 7'
    Weight: 340lb (including armor)
    Blood: ??
    Magic: Earth Make, Golem Magic, Necromancy, Rune Magic, Path Magic, Other

Appearance: A seven foot tall clay suit of armor stands before you. Or at least that is what it appears to be. The thing is massive mixing the natural shape of the human body with the hard edges of stone, it seems too heavy to possibly move on its own but move it does with a surprising amount of speed and grace. Every inch of the man exudes power. The helmet has a mock human face attached to the front with thick brooding brows and rectangular sockets emiting no light.

History: This mysterious mage approached Twilight Reconcilation as it was beginning to form along with Dollface (and perhaps a few other companions if anyone else is interested in joining his inner circle.) He gave little about himself but the power he offered was enormous and he has proven his loyalty to the guild numerous times. However one cannot shake the feeling that he is merely waiting for an opportunity to strike. Although what such an opportunity would look like and what it would ultimately mean can only be guessed.

Personality: Lord Metus possesses a certain charisma that comes to those who hold a lot of power. While not always charming or polite his expectation that everything will go his way is almost infectious.

Magic: Lord Metus is an artisan with clay magic. Able to sculpt perfect replicas in minutes. By constructing humanoid forms and inscribing them with runes he can create an army of golems to do his bidding. Many of these constructs are quite powerful and can even be a challenge individually to lower ranked mages. In play these clay soldiers would be used as higher level grunts and a nice supply of smashable enemies for the good guys. While his full power hasn't been tested in a fight against him personally he is able to manipulate the earth around him as a weapon against his opponent, is nearly impervious to harm, inhumanly strong, and capable of levitation by exerting magical force onto his armour (this is not very fast. Think the way Magneto floats around). If he has time to prepare for an enemy, creative use of rune magic will also enter the field.

In a fight against TR's guild leader, I'd imagine it would be very close but in the end he would be defeated. Of course, how can you tell if what was crushed was truly him or merely one of his puppets playing the part?

Notes: Definitely a long term big bad. His opponents will probably win when it counts, but you'll never be sure it wasn't because he wanted them to. For the most part he himself will be pretty distant. His golems however will show up pretty often.
    Alright. I don't mind another big powerful guy in the Guild for baddies...gotta have a Dragon and all that. However

Earth Make, Golem Magic, Necromancy, Rune Magic, Path Magic, Other

That's a lot of magic when most people have two or three without a lot of description of their power and the "Other" tagged on at the end. That needs pruning, defining what "other" is and better in depth explanations for starts. Then we'll get down to brass tacks with him. I like the flavor and the write up however as it stands his power level, powers or anything concerning what makes balance in this game is in a realm I can't really place and that's keeping him from getting through.

I am fine with his Earth and Golem Magic, but what is Path Magic and Rune Magic? I would honestly say no more than four types of magic at this stage. So...which ever ones you want to pick I think.

The other one however was very easy for me.

Jack Rider
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nicknames: Dollface, Headless Jack
    Guild: Twilight Reconcilation
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 160lb
    Blood: A-
    Magic: Lost magic of immortality, Requip (mostly for smuggling his sword. Not erza level craziness)

Appearance: A handsome gentlemen, dressed in a perfectly tailored suit. His hair is combed back neatly revealing a face of such perfect features you would think they had been made. There is however something off about his appearance although few notice it as most are too busy admiring him. Still to those keen enough to observe it you will notice that he often forgets to blink or even breathe.

Personality: Charmingly insane, Jack is the kind of person who will murder you and your children all while screaming for someone to help you before you bleed to death. Sworn to his master, Lord Metus, Dollface is much like a cat in his devotion. If the cat was forced to obey even the smallest command without choice or question.

History: Fifty years ago a young man named Jack Rider went rogue having stolen several million jewels from a train he was supposed to be protecting. The man murdered two of the mages sent to apprehend him before being taken in, and was sentenced to death within a week.

The execution was a clean, family friendly gathering as all the little girls and boys were hoisted up on their parents shoulders to see their first proper hanging. The trouble was he merely hung there from his neck chatting merrily about the weather. And so a few hours later everyone gathered again with much excitement for it had been determinned that the best option was for this to be a beheading. All was well with that too until after the executioner had swung his blade and Jack's head was writhing on the floor still screaming with pain. An event which everyone agreed was much too unsightly for the children.

The head was quickly burned at the stake but somehow in the chaos the body got away. Staggering away blind the tormented soul of Jack Rider staggered away from his own execution screaming but without a mouth or vocal chords to be heard from. That is until lord Metus found him. Using necromancy he gave Jack momentary relief from his torment and allowed him to speak. It was then that he offered him a deal. He would be given a new head in exchange for undying, unconditional service. Jack accepted. In return Metus crafted a perfect porcelain head which was bound to Jack's body. It works more flawlessly than a normal head would, and looks so lifelike it would be impossible to tell if one did not look for the telltale signs that reveal Jack should already be dead.

Magic: Jack is immortal, having discovered an ancient lost magic in his youth. He dreamed of living forever free of any greater power but himself. Unfortunately after his capture he has been bound to lord Metus. The magic still works though and thus Headless Jack will never die. He also knows a basic requip spell that will bring forth a basic fencing sword or a dagger. Being immortal he has supplemented his body with all sorts of procedures that would kill any other being. As such he has slightly enhanced strength, and supernatural speed.

Other Skills: Jack has had sixty years of sword practice and the ability to learn from his losses as well as his victories. He is exceptionally skilled with a blade. He is also a master of disguise as he can switch heads whenever he needs to lay low.

Inspiration: Metus is heavily inspired by Dr. Doom (Marvel,) and steals a little here and there from Hades (RW Fairy Tail.) He also has a bit of a "deal with the devil" thing going on. In that if you really want something he can probably make it happen, but at a cost.

Jack is Girahim (Zelda,) Jack the Ripper (Reality), the Headless Horseman (Fairy Tales,) and a little Loki/Leo (Fairy Tail.) With just a dash of nightmare fuel and a taste of Tim Burton (Sweeney, Jack the Pumpkin King, Edward Scissor Hands)
    I like the flavor of the character and the write up of his backstory is impressive. However there's no way I can approve the character on several levels. One, immortality is totally unbalanced and if I let it in I'd have to let everyone else make what they wanted and...balance and any hope of the game being anything but endless fights and arguments would go screaming out the window on fire to a death no decent thing deserves to die. Two, characters that can't die fall into what's called binary fights which means there's only two options. Either he wins or he loses and that's no fun in Free Form. He can have a super high regeneration magic, a magic that lets him live without his head and be ageless but being unkillable isn't an option in the slightest.

I hate to say, and please don't take it the wrong way because they're far from the only characters I've had issues with, that they need work before I can approve them. I am going to be harder on them because they're villains and that means they're going to be in fights, it's just how it goes down. They're made to be really. So like the other enemies and even my own character...they have to be balanced to a T. These two...are not. To let them in after barring a lot of other characters for much much less would be unfair of me in the extreme and I can honestly say the other two people I would ask to critique them would give the same answer. Riccaru and Callos are free to step in and disagree with my assessment however at any time if they so choose.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2011-11-15 at 10:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I thought they would be okay. After all, on power scale, and guys please try not to take this the wrong way, Fairy Tail characters are equal to or perhaps greater than Naruto. Okay then, say this is naruto shippuden all of the characters have had time to learn their craft. Now we now Itachi is way above naruto's level. That's why when you have big bad material like Lord Metus you always have heroes take them on in groups. The big bad (as that is what I think Xonodure was wanting to make them.) is rarely faced until far later in the series. He has far less magic than Marakov has, (Titan, Maximum Defense Seal, Light Magic, Requip, Wind Magic, Fire Magic, and Ice Magic.) and Marakov has been canonically defeated before. Also another note is that Immortality does not mean undefeatabilty. Hidan thought that and look where he is.

As for the part about them being villains and needing to be balanced. That is not necessarily true. One thing that has always remained the same in manga and anime is that at the end there is always a super powerful villain who it seems the heroes won't be able to beat and under most normal circumstances they wouldn't. While this doesn't have to be the same here, the sense of despair and the determination to overcome seemingly unbeatable odds is often what makes shonnen anime...well shonnen. Also another thing to consider is that the characters other than these guys will be getting stronger. However at this level they, almost literally, cannot get any stronger.

There, I've said my piece hope I didn't upset anyone or step on any toes.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, but the thing is this isn't a manga or an anime. The author of this game is everyone, not one person who can pull Deus Ex Machina out of thin air to make the good guys win at the end so they can print another magazine next week. What is ok in the Anime/Manga isn't ok here because unlike the Manga there isnt one guy at the story board, there's...how ever many people we have. Things run differently when more people are involved. Immortality in any form is straight out because it isn't fun to play with people who cannot die for players who can. I am fond of character death, very fond of it in fact. Especially with my -own- characters. Ginko's going to die. I can say that for sure. How? No clue, but he's going to. We're writing a story as much as playing a game here. It's no fun when there are people who are held to a different standard than anyone else. Either everyone is balanced or no one is. I prefer the former which is why I'm suggesting ways to make it fit with the flavor and be more balanced for -everyone's- enjoyment.

The atmosphere comes form good RP, not the power levels in the fight. The way you play your character means more than how many weapons he has. I would just as easily play an F level character as the main villain from TR (and I might just ) than an S level, because it means more to the story to have good RP rather than who can sling around the Supernova better.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2011-11-16 at 12:13 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    I thought they would be okay. After all, on power scale, and guys please try not to take this the wrong way, Fairy Tail characters are equal to or perhaps greater than Naruto. Okay then, say this is naruto shippuden all of the characters have had time to learn their craft. Now we now Itachi is way above naruto's level. That's why when you have big bad material like Lord Metus you always have heroes take them on in groups. The big bad (as that is what I think Xonodure was wanting to make them.) is rarely faced until far later in the series. He has far less magic than Marakov has, (Titan, Maximum Defense Seal, Light Magic, Requip, Wind Magic, Fire Magic, and Ice Magic.) and Marakov has been canonically defeated before. Also another note is that Immortality does not mean undefeatabilty. Hidan thought that and look where he is.

As for the part about them being villains and needing to be balanced. That is not necessarily true. One thing that has always remained the same in manga and anime is that at the end there is always a super powerful villain who it seems the heroes won't be able to beat and under most normal circumstances they wouldn't. While this doesn't have to be the same here, the sense of despair and the determination to overcome seemingly unbeatable odds is often what makes shonnen anime...well shonnen. Also another thing to consider is that the characters other than these guys will be getting stronger. However at this level they, almost literally, cannot get any stronger.

There, I've said my piece hope I didn't upset anyone or step on any toes.
    I think what Tebryn is going for, and I agree with him for that matter, is that we don't want characters with the kind of power level of Lost Magic yet in the RP. It's still too early for that sort of thing. Dragon Slayer magic is really the most powerful we should be getting into at this point. Any stronger than that I think characters already in the RP need to gain a few levels first, so to speak.

And as a side note, Fairy Tail villains, while having generic access to multiple kinds of magic, usually only use one or maybe two actual types of magic regularly. Makarov may know multiple types of magic, but really he only uses Titan Magic and occasionally his trump card Fairy Tail. Even though Hades used multiple types of magic, besides his Nemesis Lost Magic the majority of his tricks are fairly mundane (Bullet Magic, Chain Magic, etc.)

I think the biggest concern with the two profiles is that a lot of the magics are ill-defined. For example, what is Rune Magic and Path Magic, and how does he use them? In particular, I'm personally interested in how Lord Metus uses Necromancy since the fundamentals of it are a major part of Emilia's character and background.

The problem with the Immortality magic is once again that it's ill-defined. Just from how it's worded, it sounds like Jack is impervious to pain and most forms of attack. Whether or not this was the original intention, the specifics of how it's worded is very important, especially for a freeform RP.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

I think what Tebryn is going for, and I agree with him for that matter, is that we don't want characters with the kind of power level of Lost Magic yet in the RP. It's still too early for that sort of thing. Dragon Slayer magic is really the most powerful we should be getting into at this point. Any stronger than that I think characters already in the RP need to gain a few levels first, so to speak.

And as a side note, Fairy Tail villains, while having generic access to multiple kinds of magic, usually only use one or maybe two actual types of magic regularly. Makarov may know multiple types of magic, but really he only uses Titan Magic and occasionally his trump card Fairy Tail. Even though Hades used multiple types of magic, besides his Nemesis Lost Magic the majority of his tricks are fairly mundane (Bullet Magic, Chain Magic, etc.)

I think the biggest concern with the two profiles is that a lot of the magics are ill-defined. For example, what is Rune Magic and Path Magic, and how does he use them? In particular, I'm personally interested in how Lord Metus uses Necromancy since the fundamentals of it are a major part of Emilia's character and background.

The problem with the Immortality magic is once again that it's ill-defined. Just from how it's worded, it sounds like Jack is impervious to pain and most forms of attack. Whether or not this was the original intention, the specifics of how it's worded is very important, especially for a freeform RP.
    The problem with the Lord is he's rather ill defined, however his major trick of being able to survive via puppet already has a loop hole which I am not at all inclined to share but needless to say, when it's pulled out, that it was thought of long before he posted the character owing to Ginko's character.

As for not being able to die. It doesn't have to be defined. If you're character can't die your character isn't getting in.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I know, I'm not saying bring them in now, but later. They would be prime villain material and if Metus is a schemer like his profile says he could say that he came back after a long mission which was actually a step in his plan. Plus non of the stuff besides the immortality was lost magic. Golem magic seems to be almost like the doll magic Natsu and other mages can use. Also in the profile Jack was screaming in pain when they cut his head off. When they burned his head he still screamed and the only reason the body was able to walk away was because it could die. Jack was tormented constantly until he met Metus. So I'd assume he can still feel pain.

I can understand the whole immortality thing so I won't harp on that anymore. Guess that's just the fighter in me wanting a tough battle.

However I will agree that he does need to define more things and define them better I didn't think it was as bad as you guys made it out to be. (Please don't hate me!)
    Last edited by AnimeKid; 2011-11-16 at 12:37 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

No one is going to hate you for disagreeing. I don't think Lord is to bad as written, which I've said in my first post about it. I even said I liked the flavor and history of each. I don't just dole out the shearing's and leave people wasted on the floor bleeding in a heap. He's just not well defined and...that's a lot of magics to have when you have to put "Other" on the end of it.

As for Jack, again I do like the flavor, the history is wonderful. However Immortaility is a no go ever in a Free Form RPG. I also don't just say "Nope" and move on. I offer suggestions (most of the time). I don't mind if he's ageless (I said that), I don't mind if his regeneration is to a point it looks like he's un-killable (Said that too), but unkillable? No. Not happening.

Let's not make me out to be a horrible unyielding monster. You won't have any air to scream when the kidney harvest starts.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I wasn't trying to do that, sorry if it came out that way.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

It was a joke, there really won't be a kidney harvest. I'm a lung guy

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Its interesting because while I agree I need to define the magic more (a fatal flaw with these things is I forget everyone doesn't have the same picture I do) most of the other problems I think about very differently. And also, yes these guys would show up later. I posted them now because I wasn't sure about power level. Good thing too huh?

You're issue with immortality is the only thing that really boggles me. Why should any of my characters immortal or not die unless I want them to? Just because a character won't die (I seriously hope Gabriel at least doesn't) doesn't mean they can't be beat. But I suppose I should define everything first before I explain my arguments for why they're okay.

First Metus.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Writing out all his magics like that probably made it a little unclear and for that I apologize.
    Metus has two primary powers. The first is Earth Make. Which is pretty much Gray's power in earth form. Although I picture him using the earth around him more than conjuring it out of thin air. This allows him to manipulate clay, which he is particularly adept with. The second is rune magic which has a few purposes. The first is to simply imbue it with magical power / life force. The second is to forge pacts that are not easily broken (without story meddling.) The third is I prepared explosive runes this morning, basically setting traps and barriers (which unlike in the manga, his barriers always have a loophole that can be abused to get out.) Combining these two he is able to create golems. Which is considered its own magic because it is very advanced and one could technically learn it without earthmake and knowledge of other rune magics (it would just take a while to build them.) So normally, and I mean throughout a good chunk of the game you would only ever face his golems as he is more of a puppet master. But he's the video game boss sort of puppet master who is way tougher than his minions as well as incredibly brilliant. When fighting him yourself you have to contend with walls of earth coming at you as well as any golems he forges while fighting. Again, powerful but not broken I don't think.

As for necromancy, his control is limited. but he is able to heal, drain, and draw spirits out to speak to them (although he rarely makes pacts.) When he does make a pact he places their skeleton key into a special golem made to resemble their past selves (the bodies are tougher though.) He doesn't do this often, and its mainly an excuse for any players who would be interested in taking him up on that offer. Placing them in the golem does allow him to make more restrictions though. Does this mesh with what has been established?

Finally path magic is a last minute thing that I could get rid of. But basically they're a secret tunnel system under Fiore that only exist when one knows what magic to use and possesses a key. He gives them out to certain allies and it allowes them to move across the world faster and unnoticed. I actually forgot I didn't mention it previously when describing him.

Now Jack.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's interesting because while being immortal certainly makes him S rank as he is uniquely gifted to survive missions others could not, it far from makes him unbeatable. For one restrain the guy well enough and he's practically defeated. (Gabriel's vines wouldn't cut it because he could requip his knife to cut through, but Nimbus' clouds would.) Asdjhjgdf Computer delete. I'll keep this short cause I'm tired and grumpy that my keyboard ate two paragraphs.
    Immortality lets him survive lethal attacks / move detached body parts. This does not mean he can't be crushed, detained, have his head smashed rendering him senseless except for touch, burned, disintegrated, frozen, kept in unbearable pain (although he's built up quite a tolerance its not insurmountable) etc. His parts can be put back together with sufficient magic, but if they're lost or irreparable it won't happen. All immortality really does for him is allow him to survive without basic functions such as air, water, food, and rest. As well as allow him to move detached limbs and have them do things he would otherwise be unable to (they still have to use the muscles they have. No floating eyeballs) and thats basically a really painful, debilitating and weak form of puppetry. Strong, but not unbeatable by a long shot. Heck ?when? (I forget if she can) Emilia can bring out both York and Raven they could probably beat him. York holding him off long enough for Raven to smash his head or trap him in the ground.

Again, I'd like to find ways for them to work as they are now that they are explained better, but if they need to be adjusted I'm happy to do that too.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2011-11-16 at 02:18 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Its interesting because while I agree I need to define the magic more (a fatal flaw with these things is I forget everyone doesn't have the same picture I do) most of the other problems I think about very differently. And also, yes these guys would show up later. I posted them now because I wasn't sure about power level. Good thing too huh?
    Well, I'd still have problems no matter when you posted them

You're issue with immortality is the only thing that really boggles me. Why should any of my characters immortal or not die unless I want them to? Just because a character won't die (I seriously hope Gabriel at least doesn't) doesn't mean they can't be beat. But I suppose I should define everything first before I explain my arguments for why they're okay.
    Because there's a difference between when a character dies and a character that cannot die no matter what.

First Metus.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Writing out all his magics like that probably made it a little unclear and for that I apologize.
    Metus has two primary powers. The first is Earth Make. Which is pretty much Gray's power in earth form. Although I picture him using the earth around him more than conjuring it out of thin air. This allows him to manipulate clay, which he is particularly adept with. The second is rune magic which has a few purposes. The first is to simply imbue it with magical power / life force. The second is to forge pacts that are not easily broken (without story meddling.) The third is I prepared explosive runes this morning, basically setting traps and barriers (which unlike in the manga, barriers always have a loophole that can be abused to get out.) Combining these two he is able to create golems. Which is considered its own magic because it is very advanced and one could technically learn it without earthmake and knowledge of other rune magics (it would just take a while to build them.) So normally, and I mean throughout a good chunk of the game you would only ever face his golems as he is more of a puppet master. But he's the video game boss sort of puppet master who is way tougher than his minions as well as incredibly brilliant. When fighting him yourself you have to contend with walls of earth coming at you as well as any golems he forges while fighting. Again, powerful but not broken I don't think.

As for necromancy, his control is limited. but he is able to heal, drain, and draw spirits out to speak to them (although he rarely makes pacts.) When he does make a pact he places their skeleton key into a special golem made to resemble their past selves (the bodies are tougher though.) He doesn't do this often, and its mainly an excuse for any players who would be interested in taking him up on that offer. Placing them in the golem does allow him to make more restrictions though. Does this mesh with what has been established?

Finally path magic is a last minute thing that I could get rid of. But basically they're a secret tunnel system under Fiore that only exist when one knows what magic to use and possesses a key. He gives them out to certain allies and it allowes them to move across the world faster and unnoticed. I actually forgot I didn't mention it previously when describing him.

The only issue I had with him has been addressed, I'd still say regardless...drop one of the magics.

Now Jack.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's interesting because while being immortal certainly makes him S rank as he is uniquely gifted to survive missions others could not, it far from makes him unbeatable. For one restrain the guy well enough and he's practically defeated. (Gabriel's vines wouldn't cut it because he could requip his knife to cut through, but Nimbus' clouds would.) Asdjhjgdf Computer delete. I'll keep this short cause I'm tired and grumpy that my keyboard ate two paragraphs.
    Immortality lets him survive lethal attacks / move detached body parts. This does not mean he can't be crushed, detained, have his head smashed rendering him senseless except for touch, burned, disintegrated, frozen, kept in unbearable pain (although he's built up quite a tolerance its not insurmountable) etc. His parts can be put back together with sufficient magic, but if they're lost or irreparable it won't happen. All immortality really does for him is allow him to survive without basic functions such as air, water, food, and rest. As well as allow him to move detached limbs and have them do things he would otherwise be unable to (they still have to use the muscles they have. No floating eyeballs) and thats basically a really painful, debilitating and weak form of puppetry. Strong, but not unbeatable by a long shot. Heck ?when? (I forget if she can) Emilia can bring out both York and Raven they could probably beat him. York holding him off long enough for Raven to smash his head or trap him in the ground.
    The word Immortal carries with it a definition as "unkillable". That's not the case with Jack thus he's not actually immortal. He's functionally immortal but you didn't spell it out all that well, considering most immortals die when their head is cut off ala the Highlander. I still have reservations with it however. I'll have to mull it over with my partner in crime when it's not midnight.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2011-11-16 at 02:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'd still have problems no matter when you posted them
    I guess I should also clarify by later I meant "would come into conflict with other players." I'll probably write a bit for them but they wouldn't be in a position to be directly confronted off the bat.

Because there's a difference between when a character dies and a character that cannot die no matter what.
    Absolutely but as I said, the actual advantages gained from being unkillable aren't too great in Jack's case. But that was my fault for not clarifying.

The only issue I had with him has been addressed, I'd still say regardless...drop one of the magics.
    Path magic count? If so dropped. The other three are too deeply linked into making golems for me to want to get rid of them.

The word Immortal carries with it a definition as "unkillable". That's not the case with Jack thus he's not actually immortal. He's functionally immortal but you didn't spell it out all that well, considering most immortals die when their head is cut off ala the Highlander. I still have reservations with it however. I'll have to mull it over with my partner in crime when it's not midnight.
    Ah, I usually think of that as invincible. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And no problem, get back on it when you can.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's not make me out to be a horrible unyielding monster. You won't have any air to scream when the kidney harvest starts.
    ...Don't you dare touch my kidneys! Their mine to harvest, MINE!

...Sorry 'bout that. Ignore what I just said completely.

Comments on the two newest proposed members are as follows though...

Lord Metus, I need to think about and look over more myself, especially after your clarifications.

I think a big thing for Jack, is simply your use of the word immortality. It brings with it a lot of preconceived ideas of how it functions, what it stops, etc. Part of it was already brought up before, but with your explanation, I don't think you could call what Jack has immortality in the first place. My suggestion is to switch the power to something more akin to 'Self-Reanimation' since that's more what he does. He's an intelligent zombie who can control big pieces of himself when they aren't connected to his body. Heck, it even looks like he dies the same way, by destroying his head since he can't control what he's doing then. It's less immortality as much as 'Hit His Weak Spot for Massive Damage'.

In other words, change your wording of it and emphasize that he still takes damage and needs his head intact to control his body (even if it's not put together at the moment) and I think Jack's ability becomes far more reasonable.

Also, considering someone else mentioned having a Mirajane-like NPC to handle waiting tables and etc. I should point out I've been thinking of a non-mage character to fulfill that very rule.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

He can still control his body... he just only has one sense and thats touch. So he runs away as fast as a blind deaf man can... not very fast. But yeah I'll fix it up tomorrow.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually don't. Could you be more specific?

Another possible concession, since it's line with the ability's main purpose anyway: Not only is there only one clone at a time possible, but that clone can only be used against its original.
    One more suggestion: the mirror clone creates duplicates of people (multiple people, even), with their powers, as originally intended... but only as long as she can keep those people reflected from her mirror! This leaves the otherwise powerful ability with several easily exploitable key weaknesses, which would be well enough to bring it to balance.

One, immortality is totally unbalanced...
    Depends on type of immortality. I'd argue Jack's isn't. He can still be hurt, and hurt badly, like his backstory shows. His ability doesn't make him unbeatable or invulnerable in any form. An ordinary mortal non-magician would conceivably stand a chance against him - by cutting his limbs off and burying him, or burning him.

Actually, I'm not sure how much Jack's mmortality means in practice, since his body can be destroyed and has no ability to recover on its own. What if his whole body had been burned? Would there have been more left than an intangible spectre in eternal pain who can't do squat? How is that different from other ghosts?

Two, characters that can't die fall into what's called binary fights which means there's only two options. Either he wins or he loses and that's no fun in Free Form.
    Uh... sorry, not seeing any logic here. If that's how you define "binary fight", all fights are binary. But Jack's power is not such that it only allows for one or two outcomes. He can be incapacitated or removed from the game despite nominally "not dying", even if he kills or otherwise wins over his opponent. Example: killing an Earth mage, but being pinned down and buried by falling rubble from his collapsing magic. Or having his legs severed by a last resort attack and being stranded on barren area. Or vice versa: his opponent wins and leaves him for dead, but he crawls back to homebase to exposit important information. So on and so forth.

Save for "X dies", there aren't actually much more outcomes for a mortal RP character. If anything, Jack's condition leaves him vulnerable to more possible (and often miserable) fates.

For example, Nemo could eat him.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

If Jack was entirely disintegrated he wouldn't feel pain as he wouldn't have any nerves. His body works on the principle that with enough time / magic he could concievably heal from anything. Even the loss of his head. If all of the ash was found and then put back together with an extremely powerful necromancer he would eventually recover. That is functionally impossible but theoretically it would work. He lives forever, he won't age, he'll even heal but he can only heal what is humanly possible without outside help. And he can only feel what is still functioning. His brain is the only exception as a mindless headless jack wouldn't be very fun. So his magic fuses his mind to his soul, and thus it recieves all of the messages his brain would normally get.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Also, considering someone else mentioned having a Mirajane-like NPC to handle waiting tables and etc. I should point out I've been thinking of a non-mage character to fulfill that very rule.
    I was thinking of doing the same thing with a D/E level Mage, but I'll gladly hand it over to you if you want.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah cause Kuhn can be considered the butler of Fairy Tail but he has missions and doesn't strictly serve at the bar.