New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Extraordinary Concentration + Call Lighting

Can I use the feat Extraordinary Concentration in conjunction with the Call Lightning feat to call several lightning bolts per round instead of the normal limit of 1?

For example can I call down 1 as a swift action, then 1 as a move action, then 1 as a standard action (assuming I make the concentration checks)

Or am I limited to only 1 per round even if I can call one down as a swift action?

If this feat doesn't work, is there another feat that will allow me to do this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Extraordinary Concentration + Call Lighting

Quote Originally Posted by SRD; Call Lightning
    Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may call down a 5-foot-wide, 30-foot-long, vertical bolt of lightning that deals 3d6 points of electricity damage.?
    Unfortunately, nothing about shifting around the action you use to concentrate on the spell bypasses that line.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Just one per round - that's pretty clear from the spell, as that restriction is mentioned a couple of times separate from the standard action concentration line. I'm not sure if the spell requires concentration of the kind the Extraordinary Concentration feat refers to; it may just mean concentration like is needed to cast a spell in the first place (ie, if you're taking damage or otherwise being disrupted you need to make a Concentration check to call the lightning bolt. Stupid D&D word re-use..) and the necessary action is always a Standard.

That said, I'd lean toward allowing it, again subject to one bolt/round even if you can get it to a Swift concentration.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Oh well, was working on a possible Blaster Urban Druid build, and other than Disintegrate, the call lightnings are basically the only damage spells. Guess I will have to re-think my strategy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yogibear41 View Post
    Oh well, was working on a possible Blaster Urban Druid build, and other than Disintegrate, the call lightnings are basically the only damage spells. Guess I will have to re-think my strategy.
    Check out Frostburn; lots of good Druid blasting in there.

Also, Call Lightning Storm is a separate spell, so you could have both running at once for two bolts / round.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2018-01-30 at 10:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Only spells an Urban Druid gets are in the Dragon Compendium, so frost burn is only for normal druids.