New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Holie Man Armipōtent - Paladin, Hexblade, Sohei, Soulborn, Divine Mind,

I can only really comment on Paladin, since it's the only one of those classes I have any experience playing in their normal format. I think it's a great and much-needed overhaul, especially Smite becoming one per encounter (and despite what that other fellow said, I think it's good to keep it where it's used up on a miss, especially since that helps to mitigate the power it gets later on, knowing that it isn't guaranteed). Mercy is also a great add-on to help people find it easier to adhere to the strict code that comes with being a paladin. One critique would be that Mettle should only work for Fort or Will, not give them a choice. Will would probably be better, seems more fitting for a pally. Also, Aura of Blessing just seems too...busy. That is the only ability that seems like it needs to be streamlined somewhat. It tries to go too many directions at once.

And to fill out that 15th level, you could always give them a second domain. Hardly a big deal that late in the game, especially since the spell levels don't hit the high points of a cleric.

Still, all in all it's a great fix that avoids the severe brokenness of a lot of other homebrew paladin fixes, that go way overboard.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] The Holie Man Armipōtent - Paladin, Hexblade, Sohei, Soulborn, Divine Mind,

I just finished up the Divine Mind and reformatted the front page a bit.

Also of note is that I'm working on another prestige class or two that I hope you'll all like.

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    One critique would be that Mettle should only work for Fort or Will, not give them a choice. Will would probably be better, seems more fitting for a pally.
    Mettle is an existing ability in 3.5, and that's how WotC made it function...

Also, Aura of Blessing just seems too...busy. That is the only ability that seems like it needs to be streamlined somewhat. It tries to go too many directions at once.
    I agree with you. The Aura of Blessing and harmful touch of the Hexblade both need to be rewritten to be more concise and obvious.

And to fill out that 15th level, you could always give them a second domain. Hardly a big deal that late in the game, especially since the spell levels don't hit the high points of a cleric.
    That's something I considered, but I don't know what to do with the four other classes that don't use domains at that level. Since I want the to be roughly balanced against one another, I need something I can "translate" into each class.

Still, all in all it's a great fix that avoids the severe brokenness of a lot of other homebrew paladin fixes, that go way overboard.
    Thank you! That was exactly my goal.
    Last edited by Jeriah; 2012-01-10 at 10:14 PM.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Holie Man Armipōtent - Paladin, Hexblade, Sohei, Soulborn, Divine Mind,

Really? I still have that gripe about Mettle, but I suppose I need to posit it to Wizards, not you. Something tells me they won't exactly care...

Another suggestion for the 15th level might be some sort of saving throw bonus against a specific spell school or type of attack (such as poison), which you can alter for each of the classes. Although that might appear too random (as well as being a trifle redundant with all the other save bonuses allotted for pallys).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

I could always just add another bonus feat, but then it wouldn't be all linear and symmetrical and pretty....

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

I made a few edits, mostly proofreading issues. I've tweaked a few things that I thought needed a little better balancing and finished out one of the classes that wasn't quite complete.

I also still need to post the special mount and fiendish servant progression...

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

biggrin Re: [3.5] The Holie Man Armipōtent - Paladin, Hexblade, Sohei, Soulborn, Divine Mind,

I am always very pleased when I get to play classes from this thread