New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread VIII: Ten Thousand Playgrounders Post As One!

Well yes for an individual game it's just fine. But you can set an individual game around the concept of traveling back in time to discover the secrets of resurrection which you would then use to bring back the one creature capable of destroying an Exaltation. And so long as it's fun for your group that is a great game. However I think everyone would agree that would make a terrible Return style supplement.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread VIII: Ten Thousand Playgrounders Post As One!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Well yes for an individual game it's just fine. But you can set an individual game around the concept of traveling back in time to discover the secrets of resurrection which you would then use to bring back the one creature capable of destroying an Exaltation. And so long as it's fun for your group that is a great game. However I think everyone would agree that would make a terrible Return style supplement.
    Especially if the supplement is Return-style. I don't know what the style has that makes people entirely ignore the optional warnings, but everyone seems to assume everything in there is completely canon and look at you weird if you so much as suggest that maybe the fate old Red was something other than being the bride of the Ebon Dragon.

A suplement like that would have people making Raise Dead-type charms for Solars in a year, tops

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    ...given the amount of information and sheer text produced by Raziere about the Exalted manuals I thought it would be balefully obvious that he would know more about the mechanics of the game than the head-ducking newbie type. Of course, neither did I suggest that mortals in general should have perfect defenses. I suggested that an Exalted, or similar tier, character giving a mortal a one-time-use item which provided a powerful effect, perhaps a perfect defense, would be an interesting plot hook. I did not suggest that the heroic mortal character sheet should be altered.

I also suggested that there was nothing wrong with creating or attempting such a plot hook.
    well I was more thinking about some strange isolated village the Exalts would come across in their quest that would have mortals with those kinds of artifacts and that they would have to somehow do something without having to fight the entire populace, as sort of a challenge.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    well I was more thinking about some strange isolated village the Exalts would come across in their quest that would have mortals with those kinds of artifacts and that they would have to somehow do something without having to fight the entire populace, as sort of a challenge.
    Oh, you mean like use Social Charms to assume control of the populace?

'Cuz that's what they'd do.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Oh, you mean like use Social Charms to assume control of the populace?

'Cuz that's what they'd do.
    darn. I hate brainwashing. oh well….

I'm more looking for ways to get powers outside the themes of the Exalted themselves anyways, by making artifacts is one way, sure there is martial arts, but I'm comparatively bad at coming up with charms trees than I am at artifacts…
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2011-12-05 at 10:51 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    ...given the amount of information and sheer text produced by Raziere about the Exalted manuals I thought it would be balefully obvious that he would know more about the mechanics of the game than the head-ducking newbie type. Of course, neither did I suggest that mortals in general should have perfect defenses. I suggested that an Exalted, or similar tier, character giving a mortal a one-time-use item which provided a powerful effect, perhaps a perfect defense, would be an interesting plot hook. I did not suggest that the heroic mortal character sheet should be altered.

I also suggested that there was nothing wrong with creating or attempting such a plot hook.
    Raziere's status and knowledge in your eyes nonwithstanding, there are other people here, and your post is easily misconstrued. Players attempting to do such a thing may find themselves at odds with both others players and ST's. So I think it needed to be clear that while such a thing may potentially be fitting in specific games, the vast majority there within will have little interest in the topic.
    Thought of the Week: "Bright is the nova confined in the dark."
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Thats it, I'm creating a list:

Things I'm not allowed to Create:
    Spoiler
    Show

No I may not give mortals PD's because of Oadenol's Codex's artifact creation guidelines.

The same holds true for Dragon-Blooded, Dragon Kings, and Jadeborn and God-Bloods.

No, just because the Fair Folk dwell in the Wyld and Everything is Possible doesn't mean there is a special exception to that rule for them.

No you can't create any artifact that duplicates sorcery effects, at least not without sufficient cost.

No creating artifacts that don't have a story behind them, pure mechanics is boring.

No I cannot make stuff that just enhances attributes all the time, those are rare for a reason.

No duplicating anything an Exalt could do. Those are Exalt-specific powers for a reason.

No creating any artifact that makes people rant at you.

No creating anything that makes Autocthon cry.

No creating any charms for Lunars or Sidereals that would make a Solar cry.

No making any charms to make Dragon-Blooded stronger. they are weaker and more numerous for a reason!

No making stuff that renders other stuff completely pointless.

By the way: am I allowed make a weak SMA called Lasso of Fate Style? it would allow the Sidereal to conjure up this lasso made out of fate, and use it for a bunch of stuff like making his weapon come back to him and using his weapon at range and lasso'ing peoples emotions or something….

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any good Infernal UMI charms apart from the Nemesis Self tree and Crowned With Fury? I'd like to exert Social Primacy without relying on hating someone or shouting them down, but I can't find anything. And Dancing isn't really helpful either.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRaids View Post
    Raziere's status and knowledge in your eyes nonwithstanding, there are other people here, and your post is easily misconstrued.
    ...then it must be a good thing that we have had this drawn-out and tedious little discussion so that no blushing newbie will be confused as to exactly what they should be cautious of...

This...is an interesting idea to facilitate role-play. Perhaps one or two artifacts that prevent any expenditure of a specific type of Essence within a certain radius. Solar, perhaps, if the Players use Solar characters.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2011-12-05 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Punctuation

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

You Dare Mock the Lord of the Dance!?!?!?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

11. - Top - End - #281

By the way: am I allowed make a weak SMA called Lasso of Fate Style? it would allow the Sidereal to conjure up this lasso made out of fate, and use it for a bunch of stuff like making his weapon come back to him and using his weapon at range and lasso'ing peoples emotions or something….
    This sounds interesting, do you have a specific "cosmic truth" in mind for it to build of off?
    If not perhaps it could build of something like how people are connected to each other, say being more effective when intimacies are involved or something?
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    This sounds interesting, do you have a specific "cosmic truth" in mind for it to build of off?
    If not perhaps it could build of something like how people are connected to each other, say being more effective when intimacies are involved or something?
    hmmm….

"Connections are Clay"?

"Connections are Fragile"?

"Connections are Tools"?

all I can come up with.

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Are there any good Infernal UMI charms apart from the Nemesis Self tree and Crowned With Fury?
    Plenty.

Cecelyne, for instance, is very good at UMI-ing gods and demons.

Swillin' has a couple, mostly involve already-existing heirarchies - so, if you're someone's boss, you can UMI them. There's also the option of DISEMBODIED VOICE TINTINNABULA.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

14. - Top - End - #284

"Connections are Fragile"?
    This one sounds promising.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Yes it does. also: create list of cosmic truths to supply inspiration for SMA's? might be worth looking into doing.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Are there any good Infernal UMI charms apart from the Nemesis Self tree and Crowned With Fury? I'd like to exert Social Primacy without relying on hating someone or shouting them down, but I can't find anything. And Dancing isn't really helpful either.
    If you're looking to actually "socialize" with people, that's probably a fool's errand. Primordials tend to shy away from mucking about in the primitive "two way conversations" that mortals are used to.

Swillin, for instance, is great for "socializing", in that she can use Will-Crushing Force and Unseen Force Application to break someone's mind very quickly, without them being able to respond, and then can use bog standard mental influence to get them to do anything - including betraying their Motivation - and they can't do anything about it.

Adorjan can telepathically hit people with mental attacks and, once again, they can't tell where the voice is coming from, and thus cannot respond. IIRC, this counts as unnatural mental influence that takes Willpower to resist. If someone does try to talk back to her, she can use Dissonant Lies Made True (more UMI) to ruin their day.

Kimbery can UMI someone's intimacies into hatred. And thanks to Intolerable Burning Truths, whenever she badmouths someone she personally hates, all of her attacks are automatically UMI. That's probably as sociable as you're going to get for the Yozi.

edit: If you're looking to social-fu a bunch of mortals, Swillin's Mind Spider Curse and Broadcast Announcement Prana are where it's at.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2011-12-05 at 04:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Say, Xefas, is the Behemoth Garden dead now?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay I'm not sure if you were being hyperbolic but it's a common misconception so I will clarify anyway. You don't have to yell to use Crowned With Fury, you merely have to command. A calm and cool voice can be just as commanding as a shouted order.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I'll just stick with wish genieism and pick up Chirality Prohibition Index.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Say, Xefas, is the Behemoth Garden dead now?
    I guess? It wasn't exactly a project I was committing to - just a few randomly inspired thoughts jotted down. I wrote two because I'd been watching Ponies. I wrote one because I was playing Starcraft 2. I wrote one because I bought the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack. And so on.

It's 'dead' in that its been a while since I felt like writing a behemoth. I just haven't consumed any media that leapt out at me and said "Exalted Behemoth".

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

What's the most physically impressive demon of the first circle, in you guys' opinion. I'm currently torn between Eristrufa and Infernal Worms...
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

What's the most physically impressive demon of the first circle, in you guys' opinion. I'm currently torn between Eristrufa and Infernal Worms...
    Well there are the Radeken, Tinsiana, and Gallmau. Now I wouldn't rate any of them above an Eristrufa; but they are all definitely on the higher end of the spectrum.

Unless we aren't talking scary "impressive". In which case other options present themselves, such as the Angyalkae or Teodojiza.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Definitely teodozjia or neomah. It's hard to beat lions or breasts for impressiveness.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Definitely teodozjia or neomah. It's hard to beat lions or breasts for impressiveness.
    I don't know. Speaking as a teenage heterosexual male I think an Angyalka would be more impressive than a Neomah. *Checks to make sure I'm talking about the demon I think I am.* Woops. I meant an Agata; in both this and my earlier post.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    I don't know. Speaking as a teenage heterosexual male I think an Angyalka would be more impressive than a Neomah. *Checks to make sure I'm talking about the demon I think I am.* Woops. I meant an Agata; in both this and my earlier post.
    Actually you probably did mean Angyalkae. Agata are giant wasps. Angyalkae are the scantily clad harpists with two dozen fingers. At least, I hope you meant the harpists. ...not that I'm judging.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually you probably did mean Angyalkae. Agata are giant wasps. Angyalkae are the scantily clad harpists with two dozen fingers. At least, I hope you meant the harpists. ...not that I'm judging.
    Oh sexy would definitely be the Angyalkae. But in my mind sex appeal isn't the same thing as being impressive. I wouldn't really consider the Angyalkae or the a Neomah impressive despite the fact that they are sexy. That was what I was trying to get at.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Banned

Hey, man, that's just, like, your opinion.

~
    Last edited by Qaera; 2011-12-05 at 09:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, I think I got my problem with Exalted finally figured out:

There are no ways to be a trickster. I like playing tricksters

Solars are too lawgiver-y. Abyssals are too destructive. Infernals are too alien.
    Sidereals are too secret agent. Dragon-Blooded are too soldier. Alchemicals are too machine and such.

and Lunars, possibly the only Exalt who would fit, doesn't have any charms for trickster stuff. that and my conception of a trickster doesn't involve drawing blood for shapeshifting, but thats solvable by knacks.

Fair Folk probably have a way though, but then again, I like my tricksters with a lot of visual illusions and less commanding type stuff. stuff that commands are for commanders, I want to deceive and create illusions.

so I'll try and focus on making illusionary and trickster type stuff for Lunars, and I'll appreciate any help in making trickster type characters. that is all.

29. - Top - End - #299

so I'll try and focus on making illusionary and trickster type stuff for Lunars, and I'll appreciate any help in making trickster type characters. that is all.
    Meschlum post in 3... 2...

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Meschlum post in 3... 2...
    *gets out text document of Oneiromancies copied from Meschlum*

*waits*