New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC (Frosty)

The lemure looks as though it might follow you, then returns to its former place and resumes its anguished dirge.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin shrugs. "Well, at least we know a bit more about unsupervised lemure behavior. shall we finish them off?"

She pulls her lance back out, and gets ready to charge a lemure.

ooc - I gotta go for most of the night. If you want, automate combat? Karrin is going to charge and Power Attack, get some space, then repeat, assuming she only draws aggro one at a time.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

You carefully finish the lemures off, leaving only a scorched patch of the road indicating they were ever here. "Well, at least that's something. I've never seen a weapon that could so easily pierce fiend flesh."

You continue up the road unmolested until dusk. About that time, the path you are on joins another road. This road is much broader than the one you came from, and there is a signpost. Several of the posts have been scratched out or removed but several are still visible.

Going to the left, which leads northwest: Azkard, Whiteveil, Angrove (a crude pentagram is drawn next to the name), Dragonsroost.
    Going to the right, which leads east: Vitharn, Cabathad, Yultz (a skull is drawn next to it), Stronghaven.

Beside the road, an old, stone fort stands.
    PERCEPTION: (1d20-2)[8]
    You notice nothing amiss about the fort.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2011-12-22 at 08:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

After the lemures are finished off, Karrin heals herself once more with her holy energies. "It's magic. I put some of it on my lance when we started the fight. It's enough to pierce the defenses of most devils and demons I think."

At the fork, Karrin asks, "Know anything about that fort over there? Maybe the devils we fought were on there way here for something. Can't hurt to check it out to be sure. After that, which way to the closest settlement? We can try to ask around about that orc warlord."

Lay on Hands on self: (2d6)[8]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

"To be honest, I've never been to this area before."

At the entrance to the fort, you meet a hooded figure. "That's close enough. You are surrounded. State your name and business here."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin holds her hands forward in a gesture of peace, and regards the figure for a few seconds to see if the figure is evil. "There is no need for panic. We thought this place was abandoned and merely wanted to explore and see if it is a good place to rest. Is something the matter?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action: Detect Evil on the figure.
    Standard: Start Diplomacy (1d20+10)[14]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

The figure bears no taint. He looks you over. "You don't look the indecent sort. Come with me."

He takes you inside the fort. You notice that, despite appearing abandoned, there is a garrison carefully concealed here.

You enter the main room of the fort. The room is dark, illuminated only by a few scattered candles. Long tables fill the room, at which sit only a few figures. You can feel their gaze upon you, sizing you up.

Your guide takes you to a large counter along the side of the room. Upon it sits everything from weapons and armor to food and drink. Hanging on the wall there are several animal trophies along with a large and ornate battleaxe. Behind it stands an amber-haired dwarf woman, her hand resting on a large and complex-looking crossbow. She regards you for a moment, her eyes staring into yours after scanning your form. After a moment, she bends over and retrieves a pair of clay flagons.

"They're good. Thank you Trevor, you were smart to bring them here; they look like they could use it." Trevor goes back outside.

The dwarf lady turns back to you. "Name's Gaeba Dunthal. Welcome to the Crossroads Inn. Didn't mean to startle you, but we can't just let anyone in these days. Trevor's job is to look out for decent folk in need of good food and bed, like you."

Last edited by Maquise; 2011-12-23 at 05:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd like to think I'm decent folk, and I'm pretty sure my friend here is too." she says as she follows the figure in.

The paladin takes the time to look over the dwarf while the dwarf returnes the favor. "Nice axe. Thank you for welcoming us, Ms. Dunthal. These are dangerous times indeed, and I can see why the need for precautions. However, does this not make attracting business exceeidngly difficult?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil on Gaeba Dunthal and then the entire area. After all, this could all be a elaborate ruse/illusion.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

"I like to think we are an exclusive establishment, catering only to a select clientele. Since you are neither fiend nor brigand, you received an invitation."

You see one of the figures, previously leaning on a wall in the far side of the room, step forward. In the dark light, you can tell his features are wild and almost beast-like, with a heavy jaw under a dark beard, low-set brow, and large canines poking out from under his lips. "Gaeba, perhaps I shall play for our new guests?"

"Now why would you want to do that? Are you trying to drive away my business?"

The half-orc produces a lute. Despite Gaeba's comment, his music is actually quite pleasant to listen to. While grim, you sense no evil within the room.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Satisfied for now that this is no den of evil, Karrin relaxes a bit, letting some of her tensions melt from her body. It's hard being on guard all the time. "That's...pretty good music. Pray tell, fair musician, what is your name? Mirabell, isn't his music soothing? It's nice to have something relaxing to listen to, and to have a roof over our heads for a night."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am Davkas, the last bard of Mistroad." Mirabelle seemed a little tense at first, but begins to relax.

"Bah, if you think this is soothing, you've been in the wild too long," Gaeba says, a twinkle in her eye. "Now, about lodging. I run the policy of not charging for beds, on account that while you're here, we've got two more sword arms in case anything unsavory comes calling. Food and drink, on the other hand..." She walks over to a large fireplace, with a simmering pot. "I must apologize for both the quality of the food and the price. Everything we have I buy off what few trade caravans still pass this way or scavenge myself." She stirs the pot.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll be happy to pay for whatever hot food you have. It's you main source of income and besides, I can only stand trail rations for so long. Mirabell, do you have enough silvers to pay for your own food? If not I, I can cover you." The paladin's stomach growls.

Almost as an afterthought, she begins the introductions. "This is my companion Mirabell, and I am Ms. Ye."
    Last edited by Frosty; 2011-12-24 at 03:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

"Delighted."
    Gaeba scoops out two large ladle fulls of steaming soup from the pot. Pouring them into wooden bowls, she sets them in front of you.

"Mushroom soup. Clan recipe a thousand years old. Granted, it's not the pinnacle of dwarven gourmet, but it will fill your belly and make you stout. Speaking of stout, what can I get you to drink?"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin takes in a big whiff of the soup. "Smell hearty and good enough for me. Dig in, Mirabell." Even if it's not the pinnacle of dwarven cuisine, it's light-years better than cold trail rations.

The mention of drink also places a smile on the paladin's face. A more saintly and wise paladin might reject alcohol, wanting to always keep her wits about her in case of danger. Karrin, however, is no saint, and her judgement can be short-sighted at times. There's much she'd like to forget about over the past few days, and she says, "I can take a good pounding from drinks. What've you got? Mirabell, you drink?"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Gaeba pours two clay mugs full of a frothy brown ale. "This recipe is so old, no one remembers when it originated. I care not. 'Tis decent enough, and goes well with the soup." She indicates the hall, and its other denizens. "I recommend discussing the land with your fellow travelers; it's good to know whats out there. I've heard enough about the settlements, but they'll know about more rugged areas."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Taking a large chug from the frothy beverage, Karrin moans in approval. "Hits the spot. Mirabell, why don't you take the lead on this one? You know more about this orc warlord than I do. Ask around. I'll back you up."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

After finishing her soup, Mirabelle grabs her mug and begins conversing with the other patrons, you behind her.

Mirabelle DIPLOMACY (1d20)[18]
    Karrin Ye AID ANOTHER (1d20+10)[25]

Check: 20
    You come across a wizened old figure wearing a tattered cloak. "I know the orc you speak of. Last time I saw him, he was holed up in the old elf fort Lindekaima." He gives you directions. "Not sure if he's still there, but 't would be the best place to start. Put out an eye for me."
    Last edited by Maquise; 2011-12-25 at 10:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin checks out the wizened old figure, trying to see if she could get any more details. Can she tell what race this figure is? And does Detect Evil ping evil? Evil has tried to mislead her before, and she tries to take at least some precautions.

"About how long ago did you see him, good sir?
    Last edited by Frosty; 2011-12-26 at 02:47 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

SENSE MOTIVE:(1d20+5)[10]

The figure's outfit conceals his features, save a black beard poking out from his hood. You cannot tell if he is honest or not, but he does not radiate corruption.

"About a fortnight ago, I saw a band of orcs encamped at the fort. They were under his banner; I've seen it before."
    Last edited by Maquise; 2011-12-26 at 09:55 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin nods her head. "Thank you very much for your information. If we have a chance, we will end the orc's evil ways. If there's anything you need from us, we'll be staying here until the morrow. My name is Ms. Ye. This is Mirabell."

Once Mirabell and her are away from the figure, Karrin asks Mirabell, "Does anyo f the info he gave conflict with what you know?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

"No. I don't know enough to tell if there's a pattern. I don't remember any banner, but it was dark, and I wasn't exactly looking at all the details."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

"Then we shall go to Lindekaima on the morrow. For now, relax. We might not have a roof over our heads for a while."

Karrin spends the ight talking, and maybe indulging in some mediocre singing as she tries to forget her failures.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

When you are finished, Gaeba shows you to your room. It is small, with two cots and a nightstand with one candle. At the foot of the cots lie a pair of empty chests. The room is clean and dry, however, and the stone walls and ceiling are free of slime or mold. You and Mirabelle aid each other in removing your armors, and both get a full night's rest.

Tonight, in your dreams, you see a rocky plain under a red sun rise. On one side of the plain, a horde of walking corpses mill about, forming loose ranks as dark-robed figures move about them. On the other end of the plain, an army arrayed in elegant armor and wielding sleek, silvery weapons stands in perfect formation. At the head of this army, a proud figure in gleaming regalia raises a sword over his head. Both forces clash together like thunder.

You awake to find the sheets have completely twisted around you. Mirabelle is still asleep; you guess it is about 8 o'clock.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin wakes up, her body sweaty. She breathes deeply for a minute as she goes through the images she dreamt of. Hordes of undead? As if the situation isn't already bad enough with fiends running around everywhere.

After sitting in bed and meditating for a few minutes to both clear her head and to offer prayers to the forces of Good, Karrin searches out Gaeba. "I know amenities are likely to be sparse in these times, but I have not had a proper bath in days. Might you have a place where I might cleanse myself? A pool of some sort? I do not want the orcs knowing my location because of my smell."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

"Aye, I'll give you that much. There's a hot spring not far from here, which is all I can give you. Don't worry, the fort gets its water from the well."
    Last edited by Maquise; 2012-01-05 at 09:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

The paladin nods in thanks. She goes back to the room and wakes Mirabell up. "We should get going in a bit, but before that, I'm doing to bathe in the river to get rid of some of my stench. Do you want to bathe as well?" Karrin lifts her lance, intending on bringing with her to the river just in case. "We might not have another chance for such luxuries for a while."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

"Might as well. Like you said, could be a while 'fore we get another chance." Despite her words, you don't get the impression she is particularly used to bathing. You both head to the river. It is a bright and clear day.

Perception: (1d20+5)[13]
    (Don't have access to your char sheet now. If mod wrong, fill in right one)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Karrin's Perception is all sorts of awful at -2, so the Perception result is a paltry -6

Noticing the lack of...enthusiasm for bathing, Karrin smiles and quips, "Come on, being clean is one of the last vestiges of civilization left to us nowadays, especially as women."

As she says that, she quickly and unabashedly pulls her skin-tight top made of red silk up and over her head, allowing her rather huge chest to bounce into view. She lowers her leggings with equal speed, and then jumps nude into the river, taking her silks with her, intent on washing the sweat out of them. The lance is placed on the edge of the river, within arm's reach in case of any emergency.

The cold stream gives the lady knight goose bumps, but also refreshes her, helping her shake off morning sleepiness. "Come on hop in! While we bathe, I also want to speak to you about things you've seen, and whether you know anything about the situation in Angrove."
    Last edited by Frosty; 2011-12-29 at 05:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle disrobes, leaving her tattered clothes on the shore. "I'll have to see if Gaeba has any new traveling clothes." She wades in, slowly submerging herself.

"I've spent most of my life in a single village, and didn't deal much with the traders and such. Most of what I heard of the outside world was how terrible it was, and how it kept getting worse."

"We managed to stay out of the fiend's sights, but not the orcs. One night when I was seventeen, Gorgeroth and his warband conducted their raid. I was still up, finishing the last of the day's scrubbing. They came down like animals, cutting down anyone before them with glee. I took up a meat cleaver; years of wood splitting had strengthened my arm. I took down several warriors and even a berserker before catching the attention of Gorgeroth himself. He beat me, but let me live. I've been on my own ever since."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin listens as she washes her and her skin-tight clothing, wringing them with her powerful hands. "Sounds like you've had a rugged life for longer than I have. That's why yours are bigger than mine. Muscles, that is. I didn't start doing a lot of serious physical work until after the...world cataclysm. Or the world stupidity event. That's what I call the day the gates to the lower planes opened."

Karrin gets out of the water and runs quickly to Mirabell's tattered clothing, her body bouncing with each step. She returns with the clothing and hops into the river again. "Waste not, want not." she says as she starts ripping apart the tattered clothing with her hands and then cleaning it. "These can serve as bandages in the future after I clean them. Even with my healing powers as a paladin, it is good to have clean bandages. The Three Thrones know that I certainly can't save EVERYONE." Oops. Another one of the classic "Karrin didn't think ahead" moments. Without bringing towels, and not having extra changes of clothing, they have nothing to wear now, unless they want to wear the wet silk (which is see through anyways when wet). Karrin isn't very concnered however. Modesty is not as important as things like killing all fiends.

Her eyes become sadder momentarily. "You can call me Karrin, by the way. My parents were travelling merchants, and I lived most of my childhood a relatively comfortable and safe life. After the fiends appears, my parents were killed, and I would've been too if it weren't for the appearance of the elf who taught me my skills. She died a while back doing the right thing, saving a village against a large fiendish attack. I swear, I'll kick every one of those fiends out of this realm. Everything else pales in comparison."

She smiles Mirabell again reassuringly. "Don't worry, of course I'll also help with problems like the orc warlord. He sounds evil to the core as well, and it is part of my duties to cleanse such evils." She continues washing herself, her silks, and the now torn into small strips clothing. She seems content to take a nice, LONG bath, knowing this might not happen again for a while.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need to roll Perception again? And has Mirabell rolled perception?