New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC (Frosty)

"That sounds like a daunting task. Then again, I guess I didn't expect to catch up with Gorgeroth either. I was just chasing him because I didn't have any place else to go. I never was much for thinking things through."

As Mirabelle is talking, you hear a rustling behind you. You both turn around and are startled by a small man, only about three and a half feet tall. His clothing is worn with travel, but fashionable. He bears a cocky grin, and stands self-assured.

"Pardon the intrusion, ladies, but I'm afraid these are our waters. Come on out."
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

ooc - does the man look like a halfling or gnome?

While possessing quite the attitude, the paladin does respect legitimate authority. Her mentor has instilled that much in her. Not wanting to be rude for a first impression, she climbs out of the river as requested, holding Mirabell's former outfit and her own silk top and leggings at her side. Karrin also does not want to appear weak, and she arches her back slightly and plants her legs apart with confidence, not showing any fear or shame, and not covering anything. She has done nothing to be ashamed of beyond her inability to save the previous village.

"Please pardon our intrusions. We thought we had been given permission from the owners of the inn to use this river. You are....?"
    Last edited by Frosty; 2011-12-29 at 09:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

((Halfling, but gnomes are rare enough that you aren't familiar with the differences between the two))

The halfling looks you over appreciatively. "I think it would be most proper for you to give your names first-"

Mirabelle, who has reluctantly followed you out onto the bank, interjects, "Enough. I don't believe these are your waters. What claim have you?"

Placing his hand on the small rapier on his hip, the halfling quips, "There are more of us than you, we have weapons and are properly dressed for a quarrel. That's what claim we have." Several other halflings, wearing camouflage and carrying slings and short swords, make themselves visible. You have the insight that you better be swift of tongue if you wish to diffuse the situation.

You also begin to feel quite chill.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2011-12-29 at 09:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

ooc - Does Mirabell have her sword and/o shield with her?

Karrin grimaces. She really doesn't want to kill other humanoids if she doesn't have to. And also, without armor, Karrin would be risking grave injury to Mirabell.

Thinking things through, the paladin tries to find a way out that'll keep the bloodshed to a minimum. "I understand times are tough. If you have need of this river, we will leave you to it now." She bends over to picks up her lance in a slow and non-threatening way. "There need be no bloodshed. We'll be on our way. You can even have my silk garments if you want. Real silk dyed with a rare red dye." The chill causes her nipples to become quite stiff.

If Mirabell still seems agitated, she whispers to Mirabell, "This is very disadvantageous if we fight. I don't want to see you hurt. We were mostly done bathing anyways so let's just go."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

(In the future, please roll applicable Active skill checks)
    Diplomacy: (1d20+10)[23]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Success
    The halflings lower their weapons slightly, relaxing. Their leader eases his hand away from his sword hilt. "Those are a bit big for us," he says, causing a chuckle from some of his cohorts, "but I'm sure we can find a buyer."

Mirabelle whispers to you, "I'll let you handle this, but I hope you know what you are getting us into."

"Shame about leaving you in the cold, though," their leader says wistfully. "Maybe we could warm them up!" says one of the others. A variety of approving noises go up from the group. Mirabelle goes red, from either embarrassment or anger you can't tell.

"Yes, sounds like a good idea," the leader says. "We should go-"

"Kipler!" The voice belongs to Davkas. "Gaeba said if she caught you bothering her guests, she'd string you up as an example!" The half Orc is now armored and carries a large blade.

"Tell the dwarf hag she don't scare us and you don't neither!" Davkas responds by bellowing at the top of his lungs, scattering the diminutive band. He gives a big belly laugh at this.

"Bout as brave as a warren of coneys, them. My apologies, Gaeba only heard Underbough and his lot were round these parts after you left. She sent me to look out for trouble, 'n give you these," he says, offering some clothes and turning his back.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin's demeanor doesn't change even as Davkas comes to the rescue. After the halflings flee, Karrin turns to the half-orc and puts a hand on his shoulders. "Thank you, Davkas, for coming." She starts to take the clothing but then holds up a hand, stopping him from giving the clothing to her and Mirabell. The paladin thinks about the situation, looking grim. Are things so bad that people cannot even take baths in peace now? "Davkas, can you hold on to the our clothing for the time being?"

To Mirabell, she says, "I decided we shouldnt fight back before because neither you nor I had any armor, and you didn't have your weapon. The potential downside was too great compared to the gain. If we are to survive to accomplish big things like take down the orc warlord or destroy all fiends, we must learn to endure small inconveniences. But...not everyone should have to endure these kinds of inconveniences. It people cannot even bathe in peace, then civilization has truly fallen apart. We, and everyone must do something."

Karrin holds karrin's upper arms lightly and speaks in ernest. "I...have a plan. A plan that might be the start of making this area more secure. It involves us walking back to the fort naked. Do you trust me?"
    Last edited by Frosty; 2011-12-30 at 01:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Diplomacy roll (1d20+10)[24]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

((Waiting for response in OOC thread))

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle shakes her head. "I can't believe I'm letting you talk me into this," she sighs, rubbing herself for warmth.

"I shall watch from the shadows," Davkas says, "I, of course, mean no disrespect. However, the pair of you are vulnerable, and I can at least scatter Underbough and his lackeys." Davkas blends into the surrounding foliage with a skill that belies his girth.

"Okay, Karren, what's your plan?" Mirabelle asks.
    >

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

The paladin nods at Davkas. "Much appreciated. Let's go." She is definitely impressed the half-orc's skills, since she can't see him at all.

As they walk along, she has an arm around Mirabell, and places one of Mirabell's arm around her. "Come on, we can keep a bit warm like this. We're doing this to simulate what might happen if we actually got robbed and nobody came to give us clothes. When we get back, we will make a big entrance, showing them what could've happened to us, and what may happen to any of THEM if they don't get organized. Just follow my lead. Don't let them trivialize what happened to us, and if you *can*, support me in any dramatic gestures I make."

Karrin rubs Mirabell all over, and encourages Mirabell to do the same. Of course, given that it is 40F, both of them likely remain cold and nipply by the time they reach the inn.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Despite your proximity to Mirabelle, the wind still bites into you.

Take (1d6+1)[3] nonlethal damage

You leave the not spring and make it about halfway back to the fort when you hear a familiar, thundering voice.

"Mey ni draco. The prey has removed its steel carapace. It is much more appetizing now."

Vulthuryol leaps out from behind a crag, with all the grace of a cat, despite his size. "Did you not take me seriously when I said I was hunting you?" He licks his scaled chops, corrosive saliva pitting the earth.

Davkas bellows and emerges from hiding. "I am not one to be discounted. Beast, begone or taste my steel."

"You possess all the intellect of a greenskin, despite being a half blood." Vulthuryol gives an unpleasant chuckle.

Mirabelle looks at you. She looks confused and more than a little worried.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2011-12-30 at 10:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Initiative:
    Karrin: (1d20+1)[20]
    Mirabelle: (1d20+1)[15]
    Davkas: (1d20+3)[16]
    Vulthuryol: (1d20+3)[19]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 45/48  AC: 9 + 4 vs Vulthuryol  Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W
    Conditions: Cold
    ooc - so does Mirabell have a weapon or not? Still haven't established that yet.

Still as snarky as ever, Karrin turns to Vulthuryol and makes a quip as she preps to charge. "Oh look, it Vul-McEvilPants. Guess what? I'm dressed like this JUST to let you know that you'll never have a woman like this..." She lifts her large, heavy tits enticingly, and then reaches down to rub the nubbin atop her lower lips for a second. As Vul is distracted or angered or contemplating a retort, she charges.

She aims once again for Vul's mouth (tongue if possible). "Spread out, his breath is debilitating!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift Action: Smite Evil on Vulthuryol

Full-Round Action: Charge with Lance (AC penalty already taken into account)
    Attack (+4 Smite, +2 Charge): (1d20+14)[25]
    Damage (+4 Smite): (1d8+8)[12]
    Last edited by Frosty; 2011-12-31 at 02:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Vul simply looks confused, until you charge him. "You're mad!" Mirabelle exclaims.

As you get near, Vul slaps you with his wing. A bony spike tears across your large chest, and you are knocked back 5 feet, lacerating your backside on the rocky ground.

Take 8 damage.

Vul snaps his head forward. You roll to the side, and he gets a mouthful of dirt.
    Davkas begins to chant:

Huzzah! Little Wyrm
    Eating only dirt
    Flying in the sky
    Only will draw the eye of birds!

+1 Bonus to attack and damage

Mirabelle and Davkas move to flank Vul, who seems focused only on you. Mirabelle grasps her sword in both hands, seeming to wait for something.
    >
    Last edited by Maquise; 2011-12-31 at 09:43 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 37/48 + 6 healing  AC: 11 + 4 vs Vulthuryol  Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W
    The wing clips her, and she falls back onto her ass, where her Birthmark (which serves as her holy symbol) is. "Lookie! No touchie, Vul-McEvilFace!" Barely having said that, the bite comes and she has to roll out of the way onto her feet. One hand goes to rub her ass where she is bleeding, and white energy flows forth to seal the wounds there.

Karrin carefully shifts her position as to not get clipped by a wing again, and then, bolstered by the half-orc's limerick, tries to stab Vul in the cheek.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: Lay on Hands on self: (2d6)[2][4](6)

Free action: 5-ft step towards Davkas to hopefully flank Vul with Mirabell.

Standard Action: Attack with lance
    Attack (+4 Smite, +1 IC, +2 Flank): (1d20+15)[24]
    Damage (+4 Smite, +1 IC): (1d8+9)[11]
    Last edited by Frosty; 2011-12-31 at 11:48 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

You leave a long gash in the side of Vul's face. Angrily, he jabs his head forward. You block his jaws with your lance, which he grabs and tears from your hands. Tossing it 15 ft. behind him, he remarks, "Not so tough without your stick, are you?" He spreads his wings, blocking the path.

As this happens, Mirabelle charges. She swings with a mighty two-handed strike, but Vul shifts so her blow is deflected.

Mirabelle and Davkas then pull back and both attack. Vul is quite nimble, however, and his hide is as tough as steel.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 43/48   AC: 15 + 4 vs Vulthuryol  Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W
    There is nothing much she can do being weaponless and armorless. "Davkas, can you lend me your weapon? Any weapon I wield can pierce his defenses!" The nude woman steps towards Davkas carefully
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Full Defense (this should also increase my CMD by 4)
    Move Action: Move next to Davkas.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Davkas hands you his battleaxe. It is a plain battleaxe. "Take care, that is most useful.'

Vul speaks forth a curse, and a black miasma appears between you and Davkas. It roils forth, seeping into you through every wound, pore and orifice.

Take (2d8)[3] damage, Will save halves.
    On Will save failure, Sickened for (1d4)[4] rounds

Will Save (DC 16): (1d20+7)[16]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Davkas stumbles back out of the blight, waving the air before him. He begins to intone, "Come give us aid, spirit of the wind, come give us aid,"

Mirabelle contines to hack at Vul's flank, soliciting a pained growl from the beast.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 41/48 + 12 healing   AC: 11 + 4 vs Vulthuryol  Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W
    "Much thanks! Let's do this!"

Quickly placing a hand on her chest to heal herslef more, she then swings the plain battleaxe, trying to take off an ear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Attack with battleaxe
    Attack (+4 Smite, +1 IC, +2 Flank): (1d20+14)[22]
    Damage (+4 Smite, +1 IC): (1d8+9)[17]
    Last edited by Frosty; 2011-12-31 at 09:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

ooc - oops, forgot Lay on Hands

Swift action - LoH on self: (2d6)[6][6](12)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Your blow sinks deep into the side of Vul's head, severing one of his horns. He lets out a wordless roar, then a blast of acidic air from his nostrils.

Take (4d6)[17] damage, reflex save for half.
    Save (dc 15) (1d20+7)[23]

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Davkas staggers back as the acid burns him; his intonation is lost to the blast. He instead places both of his hands upon your upper back, and intones, "Our hero bears a warrior's heart!"

Gain +2 morale bonus to attack rolls, saves and skill checks (in addition to +1 from inspire courage)

Mirabelle delivers one mighty swing that hamstrings the dragon. Massive amounts of blood spill forth from his leg. He struggles, deep eyes rolling up.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 39/48   AC: 11 + 4 vs Vulthuryol  Saves: 13F / 9R / 9W
    Conditions: Inspire Courage +1, Spell (Heroism?), Smite Evil vs Vul
    The paladin feels the power of friendship (or at least courage) from the half-orc's touch, and is emboldened. "Vul, your horns will make for a good trophy!"

Karrin attempts to slash at a wing hard enough to chop through it. Unfortunately, the violent movement causes her huge breasts to bounce and possibly get in the way enough to cause her to *just* miss. Either way, Karrin readies herself for a swing if the fiend tries to fly away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Power Attack: On (-2 hit, +6 damage)
    Standard Action: Attack with battleaxe
    Attack (+4 Smite, +1 IC, +2 Flank, +2 spell, -2 PA): (1d20+14)[20]
    Damage (+4 Smite, +1 IC, +6 PA): (1d8+15)[21]

If the fiend tries to retreat, use same bonuses for the AoO.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-01-01 at 01:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Vul agilely shifts position, denying you the chance to finish him. Leaping into the air, he shouts, "I will rip the flesh from your bones, and eat your eyes!" He flies quickly out of sight.

You look at Mirabelle. Despite a few scrapes and bruises, she is fine. Davkas, covered in acid burns, makes an intonation. "I call upon the winds of healing,"
    he says, and his wounds seem to lessen before your eyes.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2012-01-01 at 09:13 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 39/48   AC: 11  Saves: 13F / 9R / 9W
    Conditions: Spell (Heroism?)
    Karrin pants deeply as the fiendish dragon-thing flies off. "You're getting off easy this time!"

Seeing the half-orc injured by acid, the paladin goes over to him to lay hands upon his wounds even though his own magic cured some of it. It is only fair since he saved them. "There, that should feel much better now, Davkas. Thank you for lending me the weapon. We owe you one. How's the clothes?"

She hands back the battleaxe, and retrieves her lance, thinking about getting a locked gauntlet in the future. "Mirabell, are you alright? That fiend is the son of some fiendish bigwig. We had crossed swords before. Or is it cross fangs in its case?" After checking her companion over and seeing that there are only minor bruises and scratches, Karrin is relieved. "Let's get back to the inn. Not only do we have halfling bandits, but now fiends are beginning to encroach upon these parts. It is even more imperative we get everyone working together.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Lay on Hands on Davkas (2d6)[4][5](9)
    Then, head towards the fort.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-01-01 at 01:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Davkas looks at the clothes. Your silks are intact, but Mirabelle's replacement outfit, the towels and the bandages are reduced to a soggy pile of fiber. "It seems you'll have to be cold a bit longer, I fear."

"This day gets better and better,"
    Mirabelle grunts. "Gorgeroth had better still be in that fort."

You make it back to the fort without further interruption. Despite Mirabelle's embrace, the cold weakens you.

Take (1d6+1)[7] nonlethal damage.

Trevor, upon seeing you approach, rushes out with a pair of woolen cloaks. "What- forgive me." He turns his head. "I'll get Gaeba."

Gaeba comes out. "Davkas! What is the meaning of this?"

>
    Last edited by Maquise; 2012-01-01 at 01:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 32/48   AC: 11  Saves: 13F / 9R / 9W
    Conditions: Spell (Heroism?)
    "We'll find him, but I think we need to be patient. As we are, even if we had been clothed, I don't think we can take on an orc warband by ourselves quite yet. I think if we help the locals, they can be of help to US in return. Imagine if there were a dozen of us going after Gorgeroth or something."

Once at the fort, she accepts the cloak but does not put it on. Instead, she says, "We were attacked, and not just by the halflings either. Let's go inside where it's warm, and I'll try to get us all to do something about the threats."

She walks inside, taking Mirabell with her. With both of them nude, all of their scars and wounds are showing. Karrin makes a plea to all within the inn. "Everyone! I emplore you all to look upon us and what we have suffered! Today, Mirabell and I went to the hot springs to enjoy the simplest of civilization's comforts: a bath. Instead of the experience being relaxing, it turned into a taxing ordeal that could've gone much worse. If it weren't for brave Davkas showing up, the halflings may have actually attacked us. Imagine, for a moment...YOU, or your daughter or sister or wife or friend...being held at rapier-point, having all their clothes stolen. Imagine them walking back to the fort like we had. Look at the damage that the cold has done!"

The knight waits for a few seconds as she lets that sink in. "How are all of you...all of US, to live, if we cannot protect ourselves against even relatively small threats like halfling bandits? They are not the only threat either. On the way back, we were ambushed by a monster from the lower planes. Them and their agents are also encroaching upon this area. Luckily between Davkas, Mirabell and I, we injured it severely and it fled. And what of the orc warlord running around causing trouble, taking slaves? No, this cannot stand! I implore all of you, get organized. Stand up to all the threats in the area, and help make this inn the safest one around. Mirabell and I are willing to help you!"

Karrin waits to gauge the audience's response before she decides what to do and say next.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Diplomacy: (1d20+10)[13]

Hopefully get some circumstancial bonuses from showing just what could happen to them or their loved ones. Also hopefully Mirabell will Aid Another for a +2.