New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC (Frosty)

"I think we'll all need to become experts about the denizens of the lower planes soon. You too, Grembler. You've seen a few umm...hornies...and you can definitely help me. Yes, YOU can help me...and help Mirabell too. Have you ever seen any wierdboy or any...boy...in general be able to throw a horny out once a horny is living in his head? Please, anything you can think of may be able to help. Mira is very brave. She slew many demons today. She put herself in great danger for ALL of us, and she deserves better than this."

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, hornies be... Don't know word in tall-speak. Teger. Ain't got no real flesh; just be, um, tuuch . Make tuuch into flesh, then enter otha' flesh, enter Mirrabul flesh. To get out, find otha teger, send them in and get horny out, maybe one way. That good help for boss?"
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

"Find *another* spirit you mean? To go in and do battle with the demon spirit?"

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ettin in the Playground

Grembler snaps. "Right. Find 'nother spirit-teger, one who don't like horny. Grembler need long-talk with Dirklegs, give sum gubbins to the Crawler. Mayhaps find out some more useful things then."

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you, Grembler. I await your return eagerly." Karrin can do nothing but wait.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ettin in the Playground

Grembler trudges off into a dark corner of the fort.

Lyanna watches him go. "I wonder what 'give sum gubbins' entails. Witchcraft in general is... strange at the best of times."

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

"I think he's just feeding Dirklegs. I'd offer some food but I don't know what Dirklegs eats."

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ettin in the Playground

"You think so?"

You look over to where Grembler has sat down. He lays out a circle of black, polished stones in front of him, which Dirklegs then curls up in the center of. Chanting in a throaty, gutteral tongue, Grembler waves his staff around. After a time, he extends his hand above the circle. Dirklegs bites it, leaving a pair of small holes in his wrist. Grembler then leans back, eyes closed.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

"Dirlegs drinks his blood? I'm guessing this is part of how they umm...commune with each other I suppose." Normally Karrin would be interested, but she keeps thinking of Mirabell, and so Karrin keeps watch tightly instead of paying close attention to Grembler.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ettin in the Playground

Hours pass and you see no signs of movement. Fatigue sets in; you haven't truly rested since before the battle.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin knows that she can't stand guard all night, as much as she wants to. However, she will not be far away. After getting her allies to stand watch for her, she removes her armor and sleeps right outside the prison cell. "Wake me up if anything happens or when dawn arrives."

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ettin in the Playground

It takes you some time, but you finally drift off to sleep.

An abyssal horde launches a massive assault against an ancient-looking fortress, defended by a motley assortment of humanoids. The demons smash against the outer walls, overpowering the valiant defenders. They fall back to the keep as the demons push forward, smashing walls and shattering gates.

The defenders make their final stand. Mirabelle is leading them. She organizes the defenders, standing on the front line. The demons surround them, and stop. From out of their ranks comes a humanoid clad entirely in red plate armor, black cowl obscuring their face and head. They carry a jagged-edged sword, which they hold out in front of them. Mirabelle charges, and the two engage in combat.

They fight for some time, but it is clear the dark warrior is winning. Just then, the dark one appears to stumble, though you can tell it is a feint. Mirabelle falls for it, going in for the kill. The dark warrior sweeps its sword around inside her shield and drives a two-handed stab under her ribs. As she falls, the demons charge the remaining defenders.

The dark warrior grabs Mirabelle by her hair, pulling her to her knees in front of them. With the other hand, they draw the full length of their sword across her neck, spilling copious amounts of blood. Letting her corpse fall to the ground, the figure pulls their cowl back to reveal their face. You see...

"Karrin, it's dawn."

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin blinks, and sits up quickly. First checking on Mirabell's status, the paladin wonder if that dream is a metaphor for the mental struggle going on inside Mira's head. "Morning Lyanna. Please help me get my armor on. I'm not leaving anything to chance even for the short time it'll take me to prepare the holy water."

After putting her platemail on, Karrin starts meditating to pray for the ability to bless water. She also prays for the good old reliable protection from evil, to get Mirabell her senses back for a few minutes so she can swallow the water.

"Grembler, has Dirklegs given you any insights on what to do? I don't know any spirits. The best I can do right now is have Mira drink holy water."

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes and no. Grembler thinks law-spirit be best for this, but only one Dirklegs know of, might not be very friendly." Grembler thinks for a moment. "Grembler seen Paladeny use wierdings, like with water now. Who does she give gubbins to? Wat do they say?"

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I don't really have...conversations with the gods. I pray...which is probably what you call give gubbins to...to the gods of the Three Thrones and I sometimes get indirect guidance in the form of dreams or strengthened resolve. Lately, all I've been getting are dreams of the horrible things that might happen to my friends. Maybe they're warning. I don't know for sure."

The paladin sighs. "So, tell me about this law-spirit."

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ettin in the Playground

"Law-spirit work for shiny dragon, live in deep tunnel. Very deep, maybe too deep to get to in time. Maybe not. Law-spirit hate chaos though, and hornies mean chaos. If we can make deal with dragon, maybe he make law-spirit get rid of horny."

Grembler listens intently to you, absentmindedly fiddling with his staff. "So, Throne-gods not do much help to Paladeny? Not sound very useful. The Crawler seems better. You give him much gubbins, shiny things you got by being tricky, 'n he sends you him mook-beasts, like Dirklegs. Teach you secrets, show you hidden things."

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

"Can you lead us to this spirit? I don't know how long this holy water will suppress the horny for, so hopefully we can make the trip quickly. Also, eventually we'll run out fo silver for holy water. As for Throne-Gods, they...help in different ways. They try to bring out the best in people. They try to draw out the full potential in their worshippers, so that they can operate and fight at 100 percent. And of course for me, they gave me a good horse and umm...wierdings."

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ettin in the Playground

Grembler nods. "I can take you there. Grembler has seen the way. It will be a hard journey, full of dangers. But we can make it, I think."

Grembler scratches his head. "Grembler no get it. I stay with boss, help her out. Used to be, I try to trick folk, get them to help me without helping them."

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin smiles. "Then the Throne-gods have done some good already. Grembler, you're understand *some* of it now, whether you realize it or not. You are a better goblin...a better person than you were in the past, and it is thanks to the Throne-gods inspiring me to help you. Other tall-folk might have decided to just kill you, but the Throne-gods teach us to help people and to try not to kill for no reason. Alright, make preparations to leave right after I feed Mirabell the holy water. Tell everyone else too."

Karrin goes to cast Protection from Evil on Mirabell, and then tries to wake Mirabell up, holy water ready.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ettin in the Playground

Mirabelle awakens, the slime receding. She looks completely haggard, bloodshot eyes ringed with dark splotches.

"Karrin, are you there? I can hardly see. I don't think I can fight anymore... it's worse than Gorgeroth... it feels like I'm already in the Abyss..."

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin gives Mira a hug, regardless of any acid there. "Hang in there, Mira, and drink this. Maybe this will help you keep your sanity for a while longer as I search for a permanent solution." She helps Mira gulp down the holy water. "I...I love you, and I believe in you. Stay strong for a bit longer...for me. I *will* return with help. If you are taken from me, I will be devastated. So please...fight the demon...for *me*."

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ettin in the Playground

Take 3 acid damage.

Mirabelle swallows the water. For a second, she appears to choke, but eventually returns to normal, relatively. She holds herself for a moment. "Please... I'll try..."

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Titan in the Playground

In the few minute that Mirabell has, Karrin makes sure she eats a little something. "I will return for you." she says firmly before heading out. She gathers everyone up, including Berich. "This is very important to me. Berich, I will consider our bargain fulfilled in terms of the magic axe if you successfully aid me in this quest, although I would still welcome any help you can provide against the outsiders in the future of course. We must move quickly if we are to save our friend. Please, I am counting on all of you. Especially you, Grembler."

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ettin in the Playground

Lyanna stands up. "Do you even need to ask?"

"I won't let you down,"
    says Grembler.

Berich bounces the head of his hammer in his hand. "I may not be considered a man of honor, but I look out for the people I've bled with. I'm with you."

Davkas steps forward. "If you believe I could be of help, I would depart with you. Otherwise, I shall help the others in their journey to Whiteveil."

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course you can be of help, Davkas. After we help Mirabell, I will help witht he journey to Whiteveil. Grembler, lead on."

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ettin in the Playground

(What are you doing with Mirabelle?)

Having secured all of your gear and eaten a meal (Consume 1 food), you set forward. The day begins with a red sunrise. Off in the distance, you see several pillars of smoke rising, likely from fiendish activity. Fortunately, none are close enough to be a threat.

As you ride, Davkas begins to chant in baritone:

"Fare thee well, Lady Dunthal, of the strong heart and ale
    Fare thee well, Lady Dunthal, we will sing of your tale
    For when fiends roared, their teeth gnashed
    Your resolve did not fail
    Fare thee well, Lady Dunthal, of the strong heart and ale"

"That was beautiful,"
    says Lyanna.

"Do you like it? I am still unsure of the composition. Perhaps the second line would be better as, 'By your courage we prevail'." Davkas and Lyanna begin to discuss the particulars of the verses.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin knocks Mirabell out again, crying inside as she does so. On the road, Karrin is mostly silent as her mind is preoccupied. "Yes, that was very nice..." she says absent-mindedly about the verse.

To Grembler she asks, "Do you have any idea how we will even communicate with that spirit of law?"

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ettin in the Playground

Grembler nods. "I think the best idea would be to try 'n make friends with the dragon the law-spirit works for. Don't know much about this dragon, though."

"Hopefully, it'll be more agreeable than the last one was," says Berich.

"Me too," responds Grembler.

After a week's travel, you arrive once again at the bog where you found Mirabelle's sword. Grembler directs you to a ruined hamlet, overgrown with plants.

You enter the village, horses slowly progressing through the streets that are now little more than muck. You see movement amongst the houses, but remain unassailed. In a few places, you see bones sticking out of the mud, long picked clean.

Eventually, you end up at a particularly large decrepit structure. Grembler directs you inside. "This be where we begin. Very windy path; follow close."

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin follow close. Can she proceed riding Trombe?

"So, how did you find out about this place? The Crawler told you?"

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ettin in the Playground

Grembler begins clearing some debris away.

"Crawler show me vision, lead to this place. Grembler warn you, it may seem like we lost some time, but I've never failed before."

He uncovers a rotting trapdoor. With a bit of exertion, he pulls it open to reveal an earthen tunnel descending straight down into inky blackness.