New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC (Frosty)

Garm awakens as your radiance envelopes him. You help him to his feet as he grunts in pain. He stumbles over to the spider and begins to consume its flesh.

Mirabelle easily cuts down the woman caught in the web. She lands on her feet gracefully. You hold your light up, taking a closer look at her. A few inches shorter than you, she has blond hair and exceptionally bright green eyes. Her face is quite soft and her complexion fair, and you notice her ears are tipped with angular points. Her attire, including a shirt of silvery mail, is very practical while still being cut to accentuate her shapely form.

The woman doesn't seem to notice Garm. "Well first off, let me thank you for kicking that spider's ass and rescuing me. Name's Lyanna Rilynnaer, self-serving archeologist and seeker of lore throughout Validor and beyond." Her accent has a slight trill to it.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin is very surprised at the woman's total composure in the face of Garm's feasting. "It is a pleasure to rescue you, really. I am paladin Ye, and these are my comrades, Mirabell and...Garm." she syas, gesturing at the carnage of a feast. "So, I think I know your general motivations for coming down here, but how did you get down here? I don't think you got past the spirit guardians of this mausoleom like I did. And what did you find except a giant spider?"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Lyanna dusts herself off. "Dug mostly. I found a small cave near the base of the fort's walls, and thought it might be a good way to get around the orcs. I haven't really gotten a chance to take a look around, on accound of the spider.I don't think I'll find much though, much less what I'm looking for. This place is in rough shape for an arcanesium." She looks at the strange liquid in the corner. "Take that, for example. I have no idea what it is. My guess is some sort of magical residue. Oh! right, I'm guessing the orcs are gone now?"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin nods. "We're here to explore the arcanesium as well. Since you appear to be more of an expert, let us explore together. We took care of the orcs here, but a large raiding party will be back...and we don't know exactly when. We were hoping to find something down here of use in our fight. And this cave..please show us where it is sometime. Maybe we can use it sneak around and kill the orc warlord when he comes."

Karrin checks the elf(?) out for any weaponry. "Know how to handle yourself with a weapon?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

A pair of light blades hang from Lyanna's hip. "I usually prefer to avoid a fight, but I can handle myself in one."

You search the cave together. After removing some debris, you find a scroll covered in arcane writing. "I don't suppose you're a mage?" Lyanna asks. "I might be able to use this, though."

Most of the other contents of the chamber are broken, or long since faded of their original use. You do, however, find what looks like a sconce with magic still clinging to it. "I'll study this, and see if we can use it."

Lyanna collects a sample of the strange liquid.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

ooc - what's a sconce

"I am not a magician, but it is possible that these scrolls could be divine in nature. Do you read Celestial?"

Karrin also takes a look at some of the scrolls. She also checks on Garm sometime. "Are you alright?"

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

(Sorry, I mean brazier - A container for fire)

"Celestial? No, but hold on a second."
    She looks at the items, and taking a clear crystal, examines them briefly while muttering something under her breath.

"Ah! These are useful," she says. "The scroll is just a repository of spells, albeit useful spells. The brazier, on the other hand, was part of the dweomers originally used in the fort's defenses. In particular, the mages used it to call upon elemental forces to bolster the defenses. Obviously, the original dweomers no longer exist, but we might be able to make limited use of this device."

In addition to those items, you find three potions of Cure Light Wounds (CL 3).
    Lyanna notices some writing that hasn't yet faded, and goes to examine it. Mirabelle is watching the exit.

You walk over to Garm, as he wipes the viscera off of himself. "Tastes like filth," he remarks, "but it's my only way to stay alive; it makes my flesh heal. I'm starting to regret coming. I don't have a particularly strong death wish."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin is not at all versed with the arcane side of magic, beyond what the layman knows. "So...could you make use of this device? It would be a great boon when the orcs attack. I'm sure you'll want plenty of time to study this place, and if the orcs are rampaging all over the area it's hard to do so."

Finding the three potions, she comes back to Garm. "The eating of foes is purely to speed up your natural healing procc right? You don't actually need to do that in orer to recover over time? In any case, here, a small payment for the help you've rendered so far. I wish there is something else I could do to thank you, but I don't exactly know what you want." she says as she hands Garm one of the potions. Karrin remembers how tight-lipped Garm was about himself. She hands another potion to Morabell, and keep one for herself.

"So, any luck deciphering that un-faded writing?"

ooc - is Karin close to leveling?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Garm takes one of the potions, quaffing it down. "Can't blame you, since I don't know what I want myself."

Lyanna makes a rubbing on one of the panels. "There's less here than I wanted, but more than I hoped for. Not that any of that helps in the present situation."
    (you'll level up when you defeat Gorgeroth)

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

"Then let's handle it later, Lyanna. Do you think you can get the magical defenses working?"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

She places it on some relatively flat ground. Chanting softly, she makes some esoteric gestures, and the glyphs carved onto the brazier light up a bright amber. "I can get it to summon one spirit of fire, for a limited time. The spirit will be tied to the artifact; it has a range of 50 feet, so put it where you want it. Also, I have no idea how long it will last." She shrugs.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm, and you will need to be the one to...do the right gestures and say the right words? Or can I just carry it and then summon the spirit at an instant?"

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

"Light a fire in it, and the elemental will be summoned."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin nods. "See anything else of use? If not, I'll go take this back up and discuss this newfound defense with the others. There's a unit from the Whiteveil army here."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'd need time to go over this in full, but I can tell you this is all we can use right now. I have no idea what happened here, but I can go into that later. I might as well come along; it doesn't do me any good if the orcs win."

You pass through the mausoleum again, noting that Lyanna seems to take special care in this chamber. As you leave, resealing the chamber behind you, you think you see the image of Celairon saluting you, before the slab closes.

You return to the main hall to find Gaius, fully armed and armored, busy conducting the men. "Lady Ye, my scouts report that the orc warband will arrive within the hour. It is likely they do not yet know of us, so we have a limited window of opportunity to act. Who is this?"

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin makes the introductions. "Commander Gaius, this is Lyanna Rilynnaer, elf archaelogist who has been more than helpful thus far. She found this blazier that, when we light it, summons some sort of fire elemental for a short time. We should wiat until the most opportune moment to summon it."

The paladin also tells Gaius about the cave that Lyanna used to enter the arcanesium. "The orcs don't know about this. If some of us can keep the orcs occupied at the front gates and the walls, maybe a small group can circle around and do sabotage or maybe even assassinate Grogeroth. What do you think?"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Gaius considers your words. "I don't like the idea of splitting our forces, but your plan has merit. Most of my men are skilled at holding defenses, but would be disadvantaged facing orcs at close range. Maybe you could-"

"Sir, they are attacking!" shouts one of the men.

"Get to the walls!" shouts Gaius, drawing his sword. "I want a line of pike-men on the front gate. He looks at you for a moment. "I don't command you, but I need to know what you're plan is. Are you going to strike his flank? Otherwise, I could use you in the courtyard."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

"Lyanna, how long does it take to actualy get to the cave and exit it? And how far away is it from here? I'm thinking of defending the gates for a little while first, see thes orcs and Gorgeroth in action, and then go to flank the leader."

ooc - also, how hard is it to carry arount he blazier and how hard is it to light?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

(The brazier is about the size of a pot and no more difficult to light than any fire)

"The cave is small, but exits within an arrow's flight of the fort walls."

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

"Perfect. Mirabell, place the blazier in your pack. For now, we defend the gates. Use your bow. I will poke at them with my lance. When we've thinned out the attackers somewhat, we will exit through the cave, and rush towards Gorgeroth. Hopefully with the din of battle, he won't notice us. Light the blazier when we get close. With the 3 of us plus a fire elemental, we should be able to overwhelm the warlord."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

You take position at the front gate, with Mirabelle and Garm behind you and the pike-men of Whiteveil beside you.

The orcs form a crescent line around the fort's front. A group of orcs, all painted red, form a wedge at the center of the line. All the orcs begin shouting and raising quite a din.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

ooc - the gate is closed and barred, but there is room for arrows and weapons to poke through?

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Old map updated.

The wedge of the red orcs charges out from the main body of the orcs towards the main gate.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 44/48  AC: 20  Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W
    Conditions: None
    The paladin readies herself to receive the enemy. She sets against a charge with her lance. waiting for the first orc to come within range. "Mirabell, fire when ready. Garm, do you have something to poke at them through the gate?"

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

As the orcs advance, the soldiers send a rain of javelins down upon them. The bestial attackers are both nimble and hardy, however, and simply keep coming. They pause for a moment to send a rain of javelins of their own up to the parapets. You hear several wounded cries.

(Since you haven't done anything this round, I'll continue.)

(Note: Due to map limitations, I need to make something clear. Row 47 is not between you and the orcs, it is directly above you, if that makes sense. If not, I can clarify further.)

The orcs come up to the main gate.

Readied Attack:
    (1d20+8)[13], (1d8+4)[8]

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

The two pike-men beside you wound the charging enemies. The orcs swing at the gates with their axes, producing a mighty crash. You doubt it can take another hit.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    "Make them PAY for every inch they get! Mirabell, have you seen Gorgeroth?" shouts the paladin as she stabs again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Stab orc bashing on gate
    Attack: (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[12]

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

"There he is, in the back!" shouts Mirabelle as the gates come down.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    "I see him! Brave men of Whiteveil, fight with caution! Survival is your top priority!" says Karrin as she signals to Lyanna, Garm and Mirabell to fall back to the arcanesium to as to get to the caves. "I pray that the soldiers can hold out..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Retreat to the building. By the way, did any orcs die?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

You fall back as the soldiers step in to fill the ranks. Unfortunately, they quickly fall beneath the maddened orcish berserkers.

Quickly, you make your way to the arcanesium. Lyanna points to a crevice in the ceiling. "There. That's the way I came in."

ACROBATICS (Take 20 dc 20): 15

You struggle, but cannot make it up the tunnel.