New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Let's make a setting!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyger View Post
    Only if you're lazy with the other humanoids. Otherwise, you can say, "Look, they've got these odd physiological traits, how will this affect their culture?"
    That is potentially true though I think that it's difficult to make them as deep in practice. Especially since cultural adaptations to physical quirks are still going to focus on physical activities more than psychological, cultural, religious, or even supernatural depth.

Though, that's just my opinion.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

As for the Therianthropes, I suggest that we limit them to just six types(Wolves for mammals, Shark or something for fish) and have them be more like the Egyptian versions(Humans Body, Animal Heads). There would be one type for each of the moons and tend towards being very religious, especially if we keep the "Moons=Gods". This way we can keep them, have them be interesting and provide that "Weird" factor when the players walk into a temple to get healed and see a six foot tall Orc with the Head of an Wolf.
    By the crabs, for the crabs.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure that I'm crazy about another civilization of dwarven architects and craftsmen; it seems a bit overdone. I like the caste system.

I do think replacing the dwarves with the thyrs might be a good idea, but it's hardly my setting.

Races – that puts us at:

Karura
    Varags
    Ghul
    Thyrs (maybe)
    Sahuagin (maybe)
    Elves (maybe – they could use some dramatic change, as was done for orcs)
    Dwarves (likewise)
    Kobolds (not yet discussed)
    Goblinoid race from distant isles (not yet discussed)

There was a draconic race touched upon in the cult of Athanaric. Are those dragonborn? Spellscales? Are they out?
    Last edited by Elfin; 2011-12-31 at 03:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Regarding the Dwarven Caste system- is there going to be a class of untouchable? Somebody who handles the necessary but really unspeakable jobs (whatever those would be in Dwarven society), and is consequently considered ritually impure and thus ostracized from society to some degree?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

Regarding the Dwarven Caste system- is there going to be a class of untouchable? Somebody who handles the necessary but really unspeakable jobs (whatever those would be in Dwarven society), and is consequently considered ritually impure and thus ostracized from society to some degree
    Deep Dwellers: You know what happens when one Digs too Deep? Well, these guys handle those "issues."
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-12-31 at 03:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

If I can summon the strength to, I might see if I can add in something sufficiently unique about the Dwarves based on what's been said so far. Unless you'd rather do it yourself, in which case I'll just work on something else.

Also, I agree with keeping the Therianthopes. I think they're very interesting.
    I'll try and match them up with the four moons we have so far.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

You can feel free to do the dwarves. Shall I try the elves?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Elfin View Post
    I'm not sure that I'm crazy about another civilization of dwarven architects and craftsmen. It seems a bit overdone. I do like the caste system. I do think replacing the dwarves with the thyrs might be a good idea, but it's hardly my setting.

Races – that puts us at:

Karura
    Varags
    Thyrs (maybe)
    Sahuagin (maybe)
    Elves (maybe – they could use some dramatic change, as was done for orcs)
    Dwarves (maaaybe)
    Kobolds (not yet discussed)
    Goblinoid race from distant isles (not yet discussed)

There was a draconic race touched upon in the cult of Athanaric. Are those dragonborn? Spellscales? Are they out?
    What book are Thyrs in? I think replacing Dwarves wouldn't be a problem, as long as the race isn't "They're like Dwarves BUT..."

I think the draconic race should stay simply because it's such a major part of the history, but not be as prevelant as was previously mentioned.

Regarding the Dwarven Caste system- is there going to be a class of untouchable? Somebody who handles the necessary but really unspeakable jobs (whatever those would be in Dwarven society), and is consequently considered ritually impure and thus ostracized from society to some degree?
    I'm not sure yet. On one hand, I'm reluctant to do that because in a way it's like having A dark-Skinned race always be slaves: It's offensive to some. However, this is fantasy and as long as there's no major color/gender bias for an untouchable caste I probably will. I think I'll have to see how the Dwarven religion turns out first.

9. - Top - End - #219

If we have some accocated with the moons, there are always the chance for "abbereants". Those not accociated with any known moon, and are as such sponcered not by moon spirits but by animal ones. Crocadilion, bears, ect. are all found only in small spots around the world. Hence, we can have fox weres, but the one for mammels is wolf and is always wolf. Bear weres are found amongst the Karura, as are the Owl weres.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-12-31 at 03:25 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I'd argue against any given race being "the race of craftsmanship," and suggest rather that all races are quite good at crafting on average, but based on their resources and cultural needs, excel at rather different things, and different aspects of things. So the dwarves might produce complex machinery, but be rather inefficient in their use of materials, being able to readily mine more at the same time as they give themselves more living/working space, whereas Karura weapons and armor would be extremely utilitarian- your fighting dagger would double as a utility tool, and possibly even have a spoonlike depression carved into the handle, your saddle might double as seating within your tent when you stopped to make camp, etc.

Edit: The Thyrs don't have a sourcebook, although given the amount published, I'm sure there's some equivilant out there. They were my suggestion for an alternative race to inhabit Thaital, being roughly human sized but descended from Ice Giants.
    Last edited by Lord Tyger; 2011-12-31 at 03:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'd argue against any given race being "the race of craftsmanship," and suggest rather that all races are quite good at crafting on average, but based on their resources and cultural needs, excel at rather different things, and different aspects of things. So the dwarves might produce complex machinery, but be rather inefficient in their use of materials, being able to readily mine more at the same time as they give themselves more living/working space, whereas Karura weapons and armor would be extremely utilitarian- your fighting dagger would double as a utility tool, and possibly even have a spoonlike depression carved into the handle, your saddle might double as seating within your tent when you stopped to make camp, etc.
    I wasn't suggesting that Dwarves being the race of Craftsmen, just that they strive harder at their jobs because if they do, they can move up on the Caste system(Either spirtually, Socially or both). However, I like the idea of them being somewhat wasteful due to the resources at hand. Furthermore, I think the Elves would be divided amongst two lines: The Domestic and the Warrior(Which I think should be called Varag-Hunters due to the rivarly and importance of protecting the Horse herds). The Domestic have more time and materials to produce their goods and are free to experiment with new styles. The Warriors depart with Domestic items, but as weapons break, armor gets worn out, etc they need to replace it or modify it which would allow for Elven Warriors and Elven towns to look much different. Perhaps they even have someone skilled in fire magic to travel with them and serve as a mobile forge to help with replacing their losses without having to resort to using bone or stone?

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had a look at the moons we have so far and the different types of Therianthopes.
    As a preliminary match-up:
    Teleb to Birds, Elethkeira to Reptiles, Rohesia to Mammals and Silaya to Insects.
    I'm not so sure about Elethkeira and Silaya, but it's the best I could come up with.

Also, could someone come up with the last two moons? We need someone to match with fish, and another for worm (and other fleshy creatures).
    I'm too tired to think right now.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    If we have some associated with the moons, there are always the chance for "aberrants". Those not associated with any known moon, and are as such sponsored not by moon spirits but by animal ones. Crocodiles, bears, etc. are all found only in small spots around the world. Hence, we can have fox weres, but the one for mammals is wolf and is always wolf. Bear weres are found amongst the Karura, as are the Owl weres.
    Okay. So we can have the six main were types associated with moons but the were-foxes and were-spiders can still exist by being associated with animal spirits of the land instead of moon spirits. Cool. I would then suggest that there would be some mechanical difference between moon shifters and animal shifters. Perhaps the animal shifters are a bit more feral and if reduced to half hit points or less, they have a chance of flipping out into a barbarian like rage or some such?

EDIT: Does anyone want to take a stab at statting out these lycanthropes as race packages cause I'm still worried about the LA's.
    Last edited by The Witch-King; 2011-12-31 at 05:02 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Witch-King, are you still planning on doing something separate with Thaithal and if so, is that going to be a public project or your own thing?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeantbrother View Post
    Witch-King, are you still planning on doing something separate with Thaithal and if so, is that going to be a public project or your own thing?
    Since we're still brainstorming and working on this, I'm content to wait before making any decisions. I know I want to run a Thaithal campaign and that I want to flesh out the continent more and I will certainly post about it.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Also, could someone come up with the last two moons? We need someone to match with fish, and another for worm (and other fleshy creatures).
    I'll get that done tonight, already got some ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

17. - Top - End - #227
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait were-worms? Oh god I can just imagine that would they be one really big worm or some sort of vaguely humanoid mass of writhing worms linked together in a hivemind?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Firstly, thanks Snowfire.

Secondly, I think they were mentioned on page one as one of the six kinds of Therianthropes. I think it could in theory include any and all animals that have neither an internal skeleton or an exoskeleton.
    Personally, I have no idea how they work, but it includes the were-leeches mentioned earlier.

Dragons!

19. - Top - End - #229

Firstly, thanks Snowfire.

Secondly, I think they were mentioned on page one as one of the six kinds of Therianthropes. I think it could in theory include any and all animals that have neither an internal skeleton or an exoskeleton.
    Personally, I have no idea how they work, but it includes the were-leeches mentioned earlier.
    off-spring of a vampire and a worm that walks=Were-leeches

actually thats fairly badass, well done
    Last edited by motoko's ghost; 2011-12-31 at 06:10 AM.
    Sorry for my absence, but had a creative block for the past while.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny.
    The Zinc Saucier optimisation challenge, now with double prize money! Eternal Tower Campaign setting (WIP)

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

The were-leeches weren't my idea, but if I could get away with it, I'd steal them.
    But alas, I cannot. Too many people know the truth.

Dragons!

21. - Top - End - #231

The were-leeches weren't my idea, but if I could get away with it, I'd steal them.
    But alas, I cannot. Too many people know the truth.
    Yes, too many.

Send in the clean-up crew.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Basic idea for the were-worm moon is a god of pestilence, death and healing - it'll make sense, honest.

Were-fish moon...is slightly more difficult, but the basic plan there is for a goddess of weather and fate.

And then I'll start on the stars and constellations.
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

23. - Top - End - #233

The only problem with a were-fish is every full moon you have to keep the bathtub filled all night and you cant leave the bathroom.
    Imagine if you lived in a desert

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmm... Perhaps you get turned into a lungfish? Not perfect, but at least you can still breathe... while you'll slowly succumb to dehydration from being exposed to the dry desert air...

Thanks again Snowfire. I should do some more work on Rohesia, because there's very little written about her in comparison to the three you've done so far.
    I have a few ideas for star-gods bouncing around my head, so I should be able to come with a few of them.

Also, because it's almost midnight here in Australia;

Happy New Year!
    *FIREWORKS*

Those are the worst fireworks ever... I should have hired a contractor...
    Last edited by Elemental; 2011-12-31 at 08:30 AM.

Dragons!

25. - Top - End - #235

Also, because it's almost midnight here in Australia;

Happy New Year!
    *FIREWORKS*
    Cheers and happy new years to you too.

Im not doing fireworks
    Sorry for my absence, but had a creative block for the past while.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny.
    The Zinc Saucier optimisation challenge, now with double prize money! Eternal Tower Campaign setting (WIP)

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Ancient Yeretians invented the point-edged-sticks, therefore they are supirior in stoned-age campeigns.
    Despite everything, its still me.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

And the first of the last two Moon Gods to be done, second one should be up some time later tonight.

Jekeren, the Eternal Circle.

Jekeren is the god of pestilence, death and the healing that comes from the endings of such things. As bodies rot in the soil they are buried within, they give life to plants seeking to grow above them, and supply precious food to the denizens of the earth. He is the patron god of agriculture, and following the fall of Rohesia absorbed a considerable amount of her former worshipers who found her new incarnation not to their liking, gaining a limited portfolio within the sphere of nature.

Jekeren is a dark moon, shaded in deep emerald, growing darker when pestilence rises amongst the world, then brightening when life blossoms from its defeat. Jekeren is a well known friend and ally to Elethkeria, as his very existence brings change. His actions embody the philosophy that from the death of hundreds comes the salvation of millions. And as flowers sprout in earnest from buried horrors of the battlefield, so does knowledge and beauty flow from the pain inflicted by illness and death.

Jekeren appears as a weathered and determined man in the robes of a healer. His robes are unique however, in that they are split top to bottom by a difference in colour. His right side is cloaked in black so dark it seems to absorb light itself, his left covered in eye searing white.
    Show

<struck dumb>

28. - Top - End - #238

Just an idea for Shax-Li:

After Atharanic fled from the mysterious rebellion among his subjects and blighted the land, he searched for a land where he could rebuild his kingdom. He found Shax-Li full of a primitive culture of humans (other race might work here). He easily convinced them of his power and demanded the priest-shamans sacrifice the common people everyday as tribute to his power. They must bring the blood to him every evening, or else he would destroy them all. They used the mysterious obsidian temples (already existing from a previous race that inhabited the island) as sacrifice places, creating a cult to him. After years of this, Atharanic collected the blood and used it for a ritual to bind a god of evil (please suggest) to him. The ritual... went wrong. Atharanic was transported to a plane of torment and agony, and all the spirits of the sacrificed haunted the land, seeking revenge on their once-priests and non-dead neighbors. In a short time, the people all died, the huge amount of deaths and ghosts leaving the continent permanently tainted.
    Characters in Lords of Creation games:
    Aquaeris, Flowing Sheen.
    Xacha, the Metal Serpent.
    Viltasa, the Evening Star.
    Yash-Ko, the Flame of the Void.
    Argul Lugra, Lord of the Eyes.
    Vriset, the Glassblower.
    Valendron, Ascending Wind.

Drow Lord avatar by Dread Angel.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Drowlord View Post
    Just an idea for Shax-Li:

After Atharanic fled from the mysterious rebellion among his subjects and blighted the land, he searched for a land where he could rebuild his kingdom. He found Shax-Li full of a primitive culture of humans (other race might work here). He easily convinced them of his power and demanded the priest-shamans sacrifice the common people everyday as tribute to his power. They must bring the blood to him every evening, or else he would destroy them all. They used the mysterious obsidian temples (already existing from a previous race that inhabited the island) as sacrifice places, creating a cult to him. After years of this, Atharanic collected the blood and used it for a ritual to bind a god of evil (please suggest) to him. The ritual... went wrong. Atharanic was transported to a plane of torment and agony, and all the spirits of the sacrificed haunted the land, seeking revenge on their once-priests and non-dead neighbors. In a short time, the people all died, the huge amount of deaths and ghosts leaving the continent permanently tainted.
    Certainly could exist as a myth, but I'm reluctant to nail down what happened to Atharanic precisely- he works better as a myth-figure whose ultimate whereabouts remain unconfirmed.

30. - Top - End - #240

To be fair, I do like this: after all, the Reapers had to come from somewhere.

But yeah, its a place of doom and gloom where its impossible to stay for more than a few moments in, so there would be plenty of myths behind it. However, the place has always had necromantic power tainting it: the area is basicly the spot that souls go to enter the spirit world, so to speak. As for why this happened? I would ask a Ghast, but they would try to kill you.
    Show